• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dragons in the City of Angels

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
QZ9tARQyObUT6EAraUINjuK-_B2hBLu_TNY2UaDDaBZuxu6RN2nGVula1pnOhqO3jFfhv8-lGn3tFunZrZWk3EeWyzeYre7-d09z491N06jiw_8CpwqZarmWVDSzK3AdqIE

Canon EOS 1D X

7jUJ08lowXBpVR_11xpZ2J_Hm9bEmT7ojY_dukHdt-V2v8CZ6_241jyBmNcFSTl9o1OAYQ2jIo5i_1JN8dqBXwq7DvwO9xz0IM1YyLXDMU8PPdTKJRCIL9nzvZdl19Lz9uc

Canon VIXIA HF G30 HD Camcorder with HD
Duncan Moran cursed the digital camcorder as he once more flipped through the instruction booklet and adjusted his reading glasses. The font was, as usual, impossibly small. “Where’s a damned 5 year old when I need him?” He looked at the camcorder. It was a top of the line model costing some $1600. Also near him was a professional camera that cost a good $6000. The original boxes were still sitting on the table. “Canon sucks. I hate Canon. The stupid light IS freaking on,” he muttered. He set the thing down before he tossed it across the truckstop diner.

He had pulled into the Pilot Travel Center in Hesperia, CA to grab some lunch at the Outpost Cafe diner while he tried to figure the cameras out. He had bought them with plans to start documenting his travels and put them online for his family. Now the new technology was just making his blood pressure go up.

Annoyed he reached out and grabbed his coffee - his 2nd cup for the day - that he wasn’t supposed to drink. He only ordered coffee when he had a breakfast type meal. That was pretty much all he spotted on the menu that looked worth ordering except the steak. and he just wasn’t in the mood for steak.

Outpost Cafe

9qVSi39mqcUbRgCgjx1EfffoHKMJPSq055A1LJqHcswchxiX2NQ9dW01XtDeJyW9n4_s-nn5VHAqpibFKddBDFqEYNb7P3Q2lkMVRZgEb-jSwwP0aStPbWbUukiqbcjN5FI

Last edited by a moderator:

Cecile had recently got done with getting her things together, and left her apartment. At the same time she was fiddling with her video camera trying to see if she could adjust it for better quality, she had put her glasses away. Taking her day off was going to be a fun little afternoon, she wanted to go out to eat whilst she worked on editing her latest video of a bank robbery, it wasn't the most exciting thing, especially since she was apart of it in order to get the film.

Since she had no means of transportation she had to walk, and all she wanted was to sit down, and eat. It took a good half hour to walk to the Outpost Cafe Diner in Hesperia, CA. When she walked into the building the smell of coffee, and food hit her nose, but in reality she was just glad to get there, being awake for the past fifty-two hours, and not sitting down since was really taking a toll on her. Cecile had forgotten to dry her hair, as she had taken a shower before getting there, so parts of her shirt were wet, alongside her hair it was still slightly dripping, although rarely.

Taking this time she ordered something to eat, completely ignoring something to drink. Then, she sat in a booth nearby taking out her laptop, tapping her fingers on the table, as she waited for it to load "This always takes forever." she muttered taking out her camera, and plugging it into the laptop after ten minutes of waiting for it to load, her food finally managed to get to her as well, but she was fixated on editing, and typing to notice.​

Duncan sighed and set the camcorder down and turned to his own laptop. He had his running on a mobile wifi. The software he had been installing had finished long ago. His laptop was a custom built Toshiba Pro and he was far from disappointed. But he hated installing new software. His hand flew over the keyboard. Oh he could type fast to save his life, but some rote operations he made look easy enough.

He opened up another window where he had been downloading a movie to the external drive - something he really should have done at home. He closed that down and went back to installing the new program. One thing he really liked - the new laptop was fast. It was done in a minute. Smiling a little at last he opened the program.

The program was the software for uploading videos. He frowned as he tried to read the instructions and began fiddling with the camcorders again. After a few minutes he growled and glanced over at the girl in the booth near him. One thing about truck stops - there weren’t a lot of places to plug in. He eyed the laptop she was using and tried not to smile. He could remember the days when he used a laptop like that.

“Mine is fast. I just can’t figure out how to get this stuff to work. New camera, new camcorder … and no 5 year old around when I need one. I’m about ready to use these things as catapult ammo.” He laughed, but sounded half serious. “You look like you at least have a clue how to operate one.” He held up the camcorder. It was THE top camcorder of 2015, retail price of $1600. And he was talking about destroying it. He still had the box, plastic and instructions with him.

“My family wants to see all the places I travel. I have a dash cam. I am thinking about building a website. But I thought this would be a lot better. Thing is, even a rocket scientist couldn’t make sense of the instructions - assuming they could read all the fine print. And I don’t have a whole lot of time to figure them out. I never used a digital before. I’ll pay real money if you can explain how to … whatever, get the things to work, download pics - or is it upload? I can’t find the cord. Or is this one bluetooth? One of the models I looked was bluetooth. You know, I still have a smartphone that is smarter than me. It took me a whole week to figure out how to answer it. Even then I had to ask someone.”

Cecile kept working, carefully placing things where they needed to be in the video to give it the best overall experience. The computer lagged and froze quite a bit during this process, but she didn't seem to mind, as she got finished and saved her laptop got a blue screen, and crashed shutting down. "Unbelievable." She muttered to herself closing it, and letting out a heavy sigh. Her video data was lost, all because she didn't make a copy, and extracted it directly from the camera itself.

She began messing with her camera, trying to see if there was any, if at all any data she could scavenge from it, but there was nothing. She could probably get most of it back with the help of her computer, but it wasn't capable of the job so she just dropped it, another opportunity would come along surely, but when she wasn't sure.

Looking up at the man whom seemed at the very least talking to her, since nobody else was around except the cashier, and probably the people that worked there. She noticed what he had in his hand, it was indeed a brand new camera model, alongside a camcorder. He was talking about destroying it, then he must could easily replace it she thought. After all, nobody in there right mind, at least she wouldn't destroy a device from not being able to use it. "Um, ...yes I know how to work it." Addressing the man she didn't seem that confident, but her words did when talking about the camera. Although, she couldn't help giggle at his smartphone remark, it was interesting, but she had never had a cell phone, so undoubtedly he'd probably know more in that.

She decided to help him, not for the money of course, but she did like helping when she could. Judging from the way he spoke, it seemed like he traveled a whole bunch, which wasn't all that surprising. "Well you see..." at that moment she began to explain the proper uses of the camcorder, and camera, telling him the proper ways to use it, and safety precautions. Although, her mind began to wander off after she had gotten done explaining it. "And that's how...oh when did my food get here?" It went into a soft whisper, before taking a bite out of it. "It's seriously cold..."​

Duncan called the waitress over. “Any chance I can get her a replacement order? Meal got cold and that’s my fault. Add her tab to mine.” He looked at Cecil. “Least I can do.’ He looked at the camcorder dubiously. He seemed to have a mental block against learning tech gadgets. But he had the basic gist.

“Here’s hoping I’ll be able to remember all that. I still have another camera setup I haven’t figured out. But that is part of a telescope. 12 inch reflector. Really nice.” He had begun working on his laptop sifting through maps of Google Earth. But he was using a version Cecile likely hadn’t seen before. He had 3D topographical maps working … and fast. But he didn’t seem to really know how to use the program yet. So he kept scrolling and zooming in and out. Normally a single zoom in and out of the range he was working in would take a full minute of lag. However, he only had a few seconds.

He started measuring distances. That was when it hit Cecile exactly what he was measuring. HOW he knew was another question. He was measuring distances from where the military had engaged some of the aliens in the Mohave. The conclusion was obvious. He was guestimating travel speeds and trying to predict movements. The maps he was looking at weren’t just topographical. They were geological.

He started plugging in some addresses and locating them on the map as though he thought they were important. Most were along the route the dragons appeared to be taking. First it was south along the mountain range to I-40. They they were paralleling the interstate west. That ran then into I-15. There had been reports of the dragons invading the town there, being shot at, and fleeing.

I-15 was going to lead the dragons straight to Los Angeles.

For a moment, Duncan seemed to have forgotten Cecile was even there. Then he looked up, remembering she was there. “Oh .. sorry. Research project I started a couple days ago. Probably a stupid one. Personal interest.”

Cecile had gotten a replacement order, and shoved a piece into her mouth, as he went on about hoping he remembered it, then brought up a telescope. "Now that's pretty cool." She remarked but didn't really bother to say anything, although she needed to get going, she wanted to finish eating first, as it was her first time in a day and a half ago. That was when he shifted out the laptop, and went onto a program. It was very strange, maps? ...Measurements? That's when it dawned on her from the stories she had heard lately, it was like a pattern.

That was when she had totally forgotten she didn't have a drink, and accidentally took a sip from the coffee Duncan had gotten himself. She slowly put it down, trying to remember when she had ordered coffee, but she never did. That almost a second later popped into her head, she had never ordered a drink, but didn't say anything, and just kept eating. Watching as he was working with the program. Although, she knew what some of the icons on the program meant, she herself never used it.

Then, she heard him speak about how it was a personal interest, and that it was probably a stupid one. "I'll say...you're tracking the dragons path?" That was the only conclusion she could come to, as tracking any other race was pure madness, unless it was to prevent getting in their way. She pointed to wavy lines onto the screen, marked with a red line. "If I remember right, that indicates very bad weather. So, you might want to factor that in." As it was..of course at its current pace, on a collision course with the dragons. Now she didn't know if dragons themselves just braved bad weather or avoided it, but small things like this, she knew could change a path greatly. "But, that's just me. I've always been fascinated with them, ever since I heard of them."

Cecile had put down her plate, at the counter for the waitress to get it, and gathered her things. Then, walked back over to him for a brief moment. "Assuming they are like most creatures, they likely won't fly in bad weather, which may make them adjust their course slightly." Though, she was running her finger through the current paths he had selected, though not aware if she was allowed to touch the laptop, and pointed her finger, making a small line a little to the side of Los Angeles. "Hmm...could be very interesting to witness I suppose. You must have a great hobby." Cecile was great at patterns, which is how she got most of the things other people didn't, however, because she noticed the small things it sometimes ended good or bad.​

Duncan shook his head. “The data I looked at was airfield data - winds aloft and temperatures at altitude. I skydive. They are following terrain. They are mountain dwellers, but lower elevation hunters. Their movement have followed water supplies and green areas - places where game might be - and they are slowing down. That means they are getting pretty hungry. At least I think so. But they didn’t attack anyone when they were spotted in a town - even when shot at. They stick together, so I would guess they are social. That is very unlike a reptile.

“This is the event of a lifetime. These things did not evolve on Earth. I mean they are hexapeds. Six limbed. Only insects have ever carried the genomes for six limbs.”

That was when Duncan lapsed into silence. He seemed lost in thought for a minute and began to shut his computer down in preparation to head back to his RV. The waitress saw he was ready to go and brought the bill. He handed her a hundred and made a horizontal slicing gesture indicating the rest was a tip. “Not a mistake. I‘m sure.”

He turned back to Cecil. “Well, I need to get rolling out. I don’t like parking very long at a truck stop. I can park other places. Trucks are limited to where they can park. There are some places I want to check out. Pleasure meeting you … and thanks for the help with my gear. Oh … that reminds me. I did say I’d pay real money. How much?”

Cecile listened a sky diver, how interesting, but she had no need to for his money. "You don't have to pay me a dime. But, ...why not let me tag along? You seem to know nothing when it comes to things like camera's...and I really wanna see them. It makes perfect sense." Although, she knew he probably wouldn't say yes. Everything considered, she was fodder, especially in related to the police who wouldn't let teens out of the city. But, she had her ways of persuasion besides, if that failed she had one last plan.

Assuming he denied her, she would stow away, on the top of his RV, or whatever vehicle the man got into at least, the one he drove off with. It was the only difficult choice in a long term of simple decisions. "I'll obey all your rules even, and if you don't think I'm upholding them well enough, you can kick me to the curb." She seemed somewhat excited in the manner of her speaking, seeing dragons, and all other sorts of races it was a huge adventure with tons of risk. "You're free to ditch me in any sort of dangerous, or legal situation, just let me tag along okay?" Now she definitely wouldn't take no for an answer. But, she wouldn't let him know that...not yet anyway.​

Duncan’s first knee jerk reaction was to say no. And he made no secret of his concern. It was the age thing. Well, he wasn’t planning on crossing state lines with her. That was a point in her favor. He asked her for an ID and gave her a discerning look. His eyes unfocused as he studied the air around her. “Orange, green, light blue,” he mumbled and shrugged. He had no idea what it meant. He had never seen that combination before, but then he had never read a teenager before.

To be honest, he was not a people person. He was a hermit. Having some kid tagging along - the very idea - irked him.

“Why? What I mean is, what is in this for you?” He knew there had to be offers out there for photos and videos. The girl was too young to be some poacher. “Rule number one? Be straight with me. I hate surprises. My Ex used to call me a classic Libra. I like to know everything before I make decisions.”

Cecile bit her lip, at the sound of an I.D, he's going to be one thorough old timer she knew that much. "What like a ...drivers license, is that fine...or you know kinda thorough aren't you. I respect that totally." She had the card in her hand, unsure of to give it to him, because she didn't know if he wanted this. "Why? Because, I'd love to take pictures of them, on top of that it sounds like a lovely adventure. I don't want to sound rude...but um...do you have any I.D?" While she didn't really know who he was, she'd still like to know if he would be who he said he'd be..at least she didn't think he could forge something like that. "Be straight with you. Got it I can promise that. I'm not very good at lying either." At that point she did laugh. "What is it you wish to know?"

“As a matter of fact, I do.” He pulled out a wallet and removed a GA driver’s license. The address was just a PO Box. Also visible was an old military ID - pink, indication Active Reserve. It had to be decades old, probably long expired. Yet, he still carried it. “I have more than one name, but not to worry, each has a lawful reason for existing - and for me to carry documentation. Almost had a couple other names, but that would be getting into classified stuff.

“I guess what I am wondering is how a 17 year old girl gets all the way out here - and why she wants to take pictures of a dragon. I am wondering if it has anything to do with rewards being offered.”

Duncan smiled. “I wasn’t born yesterday. I left home when I was 15. I was in the military at 17. Rule number two. I don’t like having my picture taken. I tolerate it for ID’s. Rule number three, no drugs, alcohol, or other illegal stuff. The license I just showed you forbids them.

“You should be in school. If you already graduated - college. Rule number five. We let the drone go in first. Yes, I have a drone. I also have a very good idea where the dragons are headed first. That is where the drone will help. Multispectral imaging. No I am not a spy, but I used to be. Cold War.” Rule six. Only I get to fly the drone.

“Rule seven. We don’t try to get close to the dragons. That’s what telephoto is for. Rule Eight - which should have been One, the Tardis mug is mine. The Tardis disappears when hot coffee is added.” He laughed. “I donated to a PBS fund drive back in the 80’s when I was at NSA.

“Don’t let all the swords and knives freak you out. They are more part of a collection and for show. Please don’t touch the blades. Oils in hands and fingers etch the surface. It the blade and scabbard are peace bonded, don’t break the bond. Rule Nine - no firearms. It isn’t legal for me to transport one across state lines. That’s a felony.”

+++++++++++

EIprF6nQZc26px7iAgbDCTVuTghpuMitYx1MWvE-u87Zr3jCzk1nfYO4WHPt17p4WZ_cd-76NaeNV3NUDIxdAlYUSo3vLM8Pksi27fwLQdWdxuIJQv7mdsg4QbxZ5R2m_RE
5th Wheel RV

Duncan hadn’t exaggerated about the RV. It was like a NASA control room on the interior. It was a 5th wheel sort. In short it was a large pickup with a fifth wheel option. The RV was a trailer that could be dropped. His pickup had a mount for a laptop and a GPS. He also had a CB, HAM radio, and some other radios - including a police band scanner. He looked over at Cecile. “My first job as an adult was intelligence collection. After a few years I went into analysis. I used to work with the guys that would cross into hostile territory to take pictures of military equipment.”

“Now you remember I said the dragons are slowing down? Well, I think they are looking for food more as they approach wooded areas. I was looking up farms in the area along the highway. I think I have it narrowed down to four farms with livestock. I am thinking I can set the drone to scan for sudden arrivals of airborne IR signatures. One thing about predators. Once they have eaten, they are a lot less dangerous. Lions will ignore animals that are normally prey if they aren’t hungry.”

Cecile looked at his drivers license, holding up her own in the process, not really sure how to go about it. While she was curious about all the names he had, alongside the classified names. She wouldn't press it at all. "You seem to have it all wrong, I'm not doing this for a reward, I just got curious is all, it's not like I just wanted to have an adventure, but am also struggling to get by or anything." It was this moment, that made her to be a terrible liar, she just couldn't pull it off at all, and that was okay in it's own right, but could cause future problems.

As she listened to his other rules, she began nodding. "Got it, you hate having pictures taken of you, and no drugs, alcohol, or illegal stuff. Aye aye captain." Although, her response was somewhat hesitant mostly because she didn't know what qualified as illegal stuff, but it couldn't be the worst thing to show up. "I should be in school, but I graduated a month ago, I can't go to college, can't afford it ya know? You also realized you skipped rule number four?" Then, she listened some more. "Drone...don't know what that is, but okay I guess let it go first. Hmm... a spy sounds like dangerous work, but you know rule number two, and six tells me you aren't a very fun person." Although, she didn't know what it was, she was a little bummed she couldn't fly the drone, though for good reason she'd probably end up wrecking it maybe..without guidance.

Cecile gave a false salute. "No, going near the dragons, I got it boss, and rule number eight is fine just please don't get angry if I accidentally do drink from it. I forget sometimes." She said bonking herself on the head. "Rule nine I guess you're taking my word on me not having any firearms then? Glad to hear I'm not getting a pat down or whatever." Now she wasn't the type to carry any sort of weapon on her knife, gun, otherwise. But, she said it in a way that would suggest she did have one. "Don't freak out with the massive stockpile of blades, I got it don't touch them, don't break bonds got it got it." Now all she had to do was remember the rules off the top of her head.

During the time of looking at the RV she was somewhat impressed it had a lot of things, what was even more interesting was learning about his past job of intelligence collection. "Yeah, I couldn't do anything like that for sure." It was hard to tell if this was serious or mocking because her focus was looking around at all the objects. "Seems like you got it all figured out, boss." Now that one was definitely sort of mocking, because she didn't know what he wanted her to call him.​

Duncan had an immediate answer for her last question - even unspoken. “Duncan. Now I know how an old boss of mine felt. He didn’t like being called boss. To him the term was derogatory. So … just curious? Risking your life and freedom getting past military and police dragnets to get a close up video of a dragon is just for fun? So much fun you can’t wait to get it on YouTube.

“I graduated at 17 myself. Of course … I went into the military. That was a combination of patriotism and not having a clue how to pay for college or be an adult. I got talked into the idea of being James Bond - a desk jockey version. Trust me, intelligence wasn’t as exciting as Hollywood made it out to be. Have you given any thought as to what you want to do? I do recommend college - even if you aren’t sure. If you COULD go to college, what would you want to study?”

A little later Duncan spoke up again. “You may as well get familiar with my recording gear. Those are the 2015 top models. May as well use them. My hands aren’t very steady and I have no eye for taking a decent picture. In over 50 years I have managed to take a single decent wildlife photo and that was nothing spectacular.”

Duncan had already done the math. Cecile had no apparent means of support, no vehicle. Her parents weren’t helping with college. They were out of the picture - for whatever reasons. Well, she had had money to eat. So she made money somehow. But normally that meant a job. Here she was on the road living on cash money. He sincerely hoped she wasn’t a lot lizard. But somehow she didn’t strike him as one. She hadn’t really lied until she said she was just curious.

“Tell you what, I know some people that know some people that would pay a small fortune for the right footage. The dragons are really the small ticket item, but less risky - I hope. I mean they are basically flying raptors. If the rumors didn’t suggest they hadn’t attacked people in that town - even when provoked - I wouldn’t try to get close. Anyways, what I am saying is that if you can get enough footage for a documentary you can keep those two trinkets. Retail on the camera is about $6000. The Camcorder was $1600. I’ll cover room and board to boot. And I’ll get you a decent laptop - something durable like a Toughbook. And … I still have contacts in the world of academia. I might be able to find you a scholarship. I’m afraid most of my contacts are in the science community though. There’s always online college.”

++++++++++

It was mid afternoon - a mere three hours after they had left the diner before Duncan had driven off the interstates to avoid law enforcement and drop the RV trailer. The place he picked was a farm. He had gone up to the house to speak with the owner and after several minutes of haggling secured a place to park. He also broke one of his rules and showed Cecile how to fly the drone. He wouldn’t let her fly it, but explained that he was about to break some FAA rules by flying too high. But he wanted to show her how to use the controls.

“I think the dragons are most likely to come here - this farm. The drone will watch three others. But these farms all have small herds of cattle. Now I offered to pay this guy top dollar NOT to report any losses if the dragons show up here. And I’m covering any damage to his farm. It is a gamble, but I am hoping a smart one.

“Rule 10 - and if I skipped another one, no big deal - we stay hidden. If I am right, these dragons are pretty hungry. And they will be here to hunt. Even if we aren’t prey, we don’t want to disturb their hunt. Besides, documentary folks are going to want to see the dragons in the wild as they behave without human interference.”

Cecile thought a brief moment. "Well....it's not completely for fun, Duncan. I love doing it, a video for YouTube doesn't mean anything to me. It's something I enjoy, I don't mind dying for it, but being locked in a cage for the rest of my life wouldn't be fun either. Yet you risk your freedom with me as well...harboring and all...probably not as serious though.." She giggled a little placing her bags onto the ground. "Okay so, I promise I have no firearms, knifes, or anything like that."

"You went to the military, sounds kind of risky if you ask me. But, I don't think I could manage anything like that." Cecile put her glasses on, and adjusted them properly. "Um, ...when it comes to it...I think I want to focus on photography. But, I don't think that's something to study at college." Now she wasn't entirely sure, not having time to figure out everything herself anyways.

While she listened to him say that she might as well get used to the models, and how he didn't take a good picture in over fifty years, she couldn't help but wonder. "So, you want me to use your camera, and camcorder? Are you sure?" She didn't seem so sure about it, after all that was very expensive equipment, if she somehow got it broken, she'd definitely not live that down.

Cecile seemed a little shocked at the whole scholarship idea, alongside getting enough footage for a documentary. "No, it's perfectly fine. You don't need to do all that. I haven't done anything worth all of that anyway, all I did was sort of stow away and risk both our freedoms for something is all." She didn't seem to happy with herself in some ways, but she really did want to go see the dragons.

All the more while she was shocked to find out how to learn to use the drone, now he'd probably never let her touch it, at least while he knew about it, but it was nice being taught how to do things like this, but was sort of shocked to learn that he was going to break some rules, and even how he broke one of his own rules. So, many controls, yet she understood everything, on top of that, she'd learned a new useful skill for the future, even though she may never use a drone.

"You sure do think it through a lot. But, I won't argue with you, the farms seem to be a very logical place to strike, not much resistance, and plentiful food. Though, just sitting back and watching a massacre makes me feel sick inside in some ways." Cecile was looking at the sky, trying to see if anything had reared its head yet. "I can stay hidden. I know you don't want to get between something and it's prey, it's very stupid and dangerous. I've learned the hard way about sixty times already..."

Two runt sized dragons each about the size of a pony appeared at the edge of the pasture and tried to land on a large mound of hay. One of the dragons was a reddish brown male named Roche. The other was male with a bluish steel hue and immediately began bobbing his head up and down excitedly making a thrumming noise. The latter was named, of course, Thrum. The instant they struck the bales, the soft hay gave way and scattered, not quite the perches the two had expected them to be.

When they flopped out of the hay they popped up and looked at the bovines in the field. The cattle was guarded of a couple of very large steers with sharp horns. Immediately they assumed a protective stance and mooed, lowering horns. Roche and Thrum knew what they were supposed to do. They huffed up their chests and began to flap their wings and began to roar and hiss. It was their job to frighten the herd into a panic.

The problem with this tactic was that each steer was more than twice their mass. And the roars that came out of the jaws of the two fledglings were more like pitiful keens. In response the bulls lowered their horns even more and bellowed.

“Roche, it looks angry.” Thrum sent to his friend.

Let’s charge it. I’m hungry.” Roche wasn’t known for backing down.

“I don’t know. You sure this is a good idea?” Thrum asked.

“Everyone is counting on us to flush the game to them. Let’s go!” Roche began hissing and flapping his wings as he waddled forward.

Thrum characteristically followed suit knowing full well this was probably a bad idea.

Things didn’t quite work the way the dragons had planned. Instead of flushing the game toward them, the very opposite happened. The steers pawed the ground and charged, their hooves making a thundering noise as they sought to drive off the predators.

The eyes of Roche and Thrum began to widen of shock as they realized things weren’t going according to plan. The food was attacking THEM! Roche came to an abrupt halt. thrum slammed into him from behind and the pair tangled up for a moment. They barely had time to scramble to the feet, backpedal and turn to flee being crushed by 2000 pounds of steak dinner.

Lowdown and Starfire were the lead huntresses. While Starfire was larger, Lowdown NEVER miss teleported. She always led the charge and drew first blood. The rest of the flight would home in on her call. But it was Starfire who gave the order to attack. Abyss was the largest and strongest hunter. It would be his task to make sure the steers never made it to the runts. The plan had been to panic the herd, then split it until they found a viable straggler. Now it had become a matter of survival to keep their kin from certain death. And now a pair of cows had been split off from the herd. While not the ones they wanted, food was food.

There was a whoosh of wind as air was displaced behind the second steer in the charge. Blood spurted from its flank and it staggered a little. Then it came to a halt as Starfire swooped only a few feet over it followed by others. The lead steer continued its charge blindly for about 30 feet before it started to slow, sensing the ambush too late.

Abyss appeared in a dive carrying a 100 pound boulder releasing it on cue. This was a tactic he was very good at. The boulder slammed into the steer’s side and it staggered, ribs cracking under the blow. It didn’t matter that the steer didn’t die immediately. Abyss’ job was done. Roche and Thrum were pulling away and taking to the air.

Now they had two separate targets, both angry and injured. And both were still strong enough to injure or kill one of the fledglings. So they dragons concentrated on one - the one that Abyss has slammed the boulder into. It was having trouble breathing. And it was dying. It was only a matter of time. The other steer, now discouraged, backed away, staggering off to rejoin its herd. It was injured, but the wounds weren’t fatal, just painful.

As the fledglings started to gather around their kill Abyss and Sharda hissed at them. Sharda was the new Mother of Many, though still a fledgling. Abyss was a bit older, from an earlier clutch. The other dragons parted to make way for them, but Sharda stopped short of taking the first bite. Instead she did something completely uncharacteristic for mere animals. She hissed and keened a low tone and the young all turned to look at Roche and Thrum sitting out beyond the edge of the flock. She head butted Abyss who nodded in return. The large black dragon echoed Sharda’s keen. Thrum was nursing his tail which had gotten injured. Both of the runts looked up startled. They lowered their heads shy of the attention, and crept almost timidly forward.

Sharda gave a sharp keen that was almost a yip. Then she leaned her neck down to touch her nose to Thrum’s tail. Her own tail twitch painfully, then began to heal rapidly. Thrum’s own tail tipped up as he started to rock happily, thrumming. His tail had been healed by a simple touch. He did a dog like act of chasing his own tail for a moment before Abyss growled for attention. The two leaders of the fledglings looked at one another, then down at the runts. Then they scratched the fallen steer.

Still very timid, the two inched forward to take a nip at the kill. Abyss grew impatient and growled. Then he encouraged them again. Thrum indicated a tail. That brought a lot of hissing. Abyss’ head rose and his eyes seemed to roll back. He shook his head so hard his body shook as well. Then he slammed his fore claw down on a haunch, bent his neck down and ripped the whole section off. Then he laid it down and nosed it over for the pair. It was clearly a choice section of the kill. For once the pair realized their good fortune, it took both to drag their piece of the kill away to feed on it, their tails wagging excitedly.

Only then did the feeding proceed normally. For even the young Mother of Many had held back until the runts had stopped dragging their kill and looked to her. Sharda leaned down and took a bite. Abyss held part of the kill steady for her while the other dragons moved in.

Cecile was watching the events unfold carefully, from the beginning of the attack, to the cattle going on a rampage nearly killing the dragons, it seemed like she could make out something, but as the game went on it looked like a matter of survival for their own, not just for the sake of food. She'd never seen something like this at all. The wild animals she knew of never had this much trouble picking off food, and yet this one was getting their buts handed to them. But, quickly saw things change as more dragons arrived.

They seem to have managed to get the situation under control for the most part, but at this time..Cecile had lost sight from the RV. So, she did the most stupidest thing ever, even after having no problem staying hidden. She...got out of the RV, whilst the dragons were on the other side of it, allowing her to hide slightly. It wasn't the greatest idea, she didn't know how well their eyesight, or sense of smell was, nor did she even bring anything to take a picture with, it was just her, and her glasses, an RV...and a bunch of dragons. "How...interesting." She mumbled to herself trying to edge over slightly more.

Now at this time she'd completely forgotten her words to Duncan, in fact forgot he even existed for this brief moment, because...what she saw...was just gruesome, it was like a giant bird taking at a worm or something. Yet at this time, she was just leaning on the RV watching them drag away the kill. It was her first time to see a dragon, on top of that, she got to see them hunt. Yet she only now realized the danger she could be in should they find her.​

Duncan had been rather distracted by the scene. But visibility from inside the RV had been limited. He had never spotted Cecile’s exit or he would have stopped that butt cold. But even worse was when he spotted her finally - without her camera. He groaned. This had been a Kodak moment if ever there was one. He had to mentally kick himself for not keeping a closer eye on her.

Duncan consoled himself with the fact that at least the Dragons were getting something to eat. They weren’t bothering the RV, barn or house. Their concerns were with food.

It wasn’t long before the dragons had gotten down to gnawing on bones. Some began to grow a little bored and began to play a bit like lion cubs, jumping on one another in playful attacks. It was the large black one that refused to engage in mock combat - despite getting jumped by some of the younger ones. Instead he simply stomped a claw one one and held it there for a bit before releasing it to try to sneak up on him again. He was like the big brother.

Abyss’ real attention was on standing guard. This was his constant job. He had already spotted movement of the humans watching them. The dragons had assumed the humans were just children. And one didn’t attack children. They was just a fact. Lowdown was the other who normally stood guard. But even she let her guard down to eat.

Lowdown finally began to get annoyed. She had felt the eyes of the two legged child watching her for some time and it had been more than a little distracting and frightening. The distraction was that she was being watched - and Lowdown did NOT like that. The second was that the creature’s thoughts were transparent - unlike the adults and even the other children they had encountered.

Lowdown finally looked directly at Cecile and snarled, offering a nice display of teeth. Then she simply vanished. As soon as she had vanished she took to the air and flew a swift patrol about the pasture. As she circled closer to the RV she pulled a sudden stalling maneuver and ported just above the ground near the child (Cecile), trying to land gracefully and silently. Unfortunately, still being a fledgling with signs of baby fat still evident, grace wasn’t quite her forte yet. She almost flubbed her landing and was forced to give a few wing beats to steady herself. The wind kicked up blew Cecile’s hair around. Lowdown may as well have tried to stomp on the ground for all the noise she had made.

Lowdown froze not more than several feet away.

Cecile had been watching the encounter very carefully, and even laughed slightly at the sight of them playfully fighting each other. It was sort of nice, it wasn't that much different actually, at least in her mind. To the current way other family members fought. But, she herself knew she was being watched. Her eyes briefly turned to Abyss', but then out of the corner of her eye cought something, lowdown. Out of the corner of her eye she saw the teeth, and that's when she couldn't help but swallow hard, it didn't seem to happy with her presence, and the fact she just disappeared from her sight.

It was not long before she heard a large sound behind her, the sound wave of the wind, caused the glasses to fall off not more than a few feet from the dragon, which...Cecile wasn't very hesitant to go get them, but they were right in front of Lowdown, that's when she froze not caring to make any sudden moments. It was almost like a stare off. Waiting to see whom would make the first move, yet Cecile knew...she would be the one dead if the dragon chose to attack, she couldn't it in herself to find a harmful thought towards the dragon. Although, she didn't need to have the glasses to see, they did mean quite a bit to her. All she did was stare the dragon in the eyes, not a hint of fear resonating from her, yet not hostile intent either. Cecile just stood there calmly looking towards Lowdown, and then at her glasses, then back again.​

Lowdown’s natural color was a greenish gold, distinctly darker in shade than Sharda (the healer). The dragon’s first response was to freeze. This was followed shortly by another show of teeth, most definitely a warning. But what Cecile felt was fear and anger - not so much her own, but the dragon’s. The young dragons was actually afraid of a human teenager.

Lowdown took a step back. It felt as though she was torn by curiosity and anger. Finally though Lowdown had to respond to the silly thoughts she picked up from the human girl.

“Dragons don’t eat creatures that think - especially children - even the children of two leg creatures.” Then the dragon had to ask a question. “You need a Thing to see?” Lowdown seemed to be a little embarrassed at the question. If anything she felt pity for Two Leg creatures. No wings, no claws, no teeth - well tiny ones that were useless for eating.

Lowdown sought a topic to think about other than Things to see - any other topic. She finally settled on one. “I will not attack you. Dragons don’t hurt creatures that think - unless they try to harm … “ A wave of anger hit Cecile as Lowdown clamped down on her thoughts. “Why do you think that I can hear? Two legs have thoughts like rocks.”

Cecile looked up at the dragon. "First. That 'thing' is called glasses. Unfortunately, they are just an important part of me. My eyesight is better than most humans." She looked up and down the dragon carefully her mind a total blank right now. "Second. You just contradicted yourself, because what you just ate, can indeed think. Whether you know it or not, every living thing here, thinks just no matter how simple it is. Besides, they would have been a lot easier to eat, than instead of nearly killing your...whelps? I'm sorry I don't know what dragons call their young."

Cecile took a deep breath. "Thirdly, if you're feeling any pity towards humans, I'd advise against it. Some of them can be extremely deadly even though they don't have claws and such...which is so cool..." She was taking time to think, her mind a jumble, completely shifting to the next thought before the first one began. "I don't intend to do you harm, not am I capable of such a thing. It conflicts with me internally. As to why you can hear? Perhaps, you never know...but thoughts can be a deceiver, humans can act quite genuine, before killing you in cold blood... that's one of the reasons why humans are their own worst enemy. It sickens me." She unhesitatingly put her hand in her pocket, and pull out a silver package.​

Lowdown began to get a little confused by Cecile’s thoughts. Mainly it was because of the thoughts about Things. Two legs placed a lot of importance on special thoughts about Things. She supposed it was because they were so dependent on them.

The second reason made no sense at all. Food did not think. Third, thinking was thinking. Thoughts were always true.

“Two leg children think warm. But they are very slow. Only their loud rock thrower Things are fast. Two legs do not go Between. They cannot swim in the Earthblood like Roche. They cannot see me when I do not wish to be seen. I am Lowdown. I know secrets.”

She eyed the silver case and sifted into Cecile’s thoughts to draw upon the purpose of the Thing. “Why do Two legs thoughts become cold as they become adults?”

Cecile took unwrapped it, it was a piece of gum which she plopped into her mouth, and began to chew a little thinking for a little bit. What did this dragon want from her? It wasn't like she did anything wrong right? But, her head turned towards the other dragons, then back at Lowdown. If only for a brief moment, what could she say to it. Two leg? That must mean human..it was the only thing that came to mind without it becoming a big problem area.

They think warm? What did that mean? Innocence? Was that what it was talking about? She'd have to play on it, though kind of wondered how she managed to get into this situation. "I will not proclaim to know of Roche, or Earthblood. Nor will I claim to be able to see you, Lowdown I am Cecile. I know..things." It was coming to her in how to answer about the children, yet it took some thought to try and not get mixed up. "Children think warm because of innocence, they become tainted by the world, by other humans. It's a natural cycle. Humans...kill food,...fun, to defend their own life. You can probably name a few yourself. Most kill other humans for fun, most eat other humans, do a lot of stupid things. Unforgivable things."

Cecile remembered she wasn't really suppose to be out here. "Come to think of it. Dragons are being hunted aren't they? Funny...I'd likely be hunted as well if the adults knew I was breaking their rules for being here." She felt like she needed to do something, but couldn't figure out what. "You obviously didn't come here to chat with a lesser being did you? Have I upset you? You didn't seem to happy on my ...observations." Cecile wasn't really judging the dragon...the one thought that was clear as day in her mind was...she wanted to ride the dragon. "Well I think it's pretty obvious I can't stop you if you attack me. I just hope you aren't still hungry." She silently laughed to herself.​

The mention of ‘unforgivable things’ nearly threw Lowdown’s mind into a rage of pain and madness. Something had happened - and recently - that left the dragon highly sensitive emotionally. It hurt so much that she had to shake her head to get rid of the dark thoughts. THIS Two Leg did not seem capable of such things. Of course, it was a child. The very thought of the two legs eating other two legs shocked her to the core. The very notion of one sapient creature devouring another was almost inconceivable. And yet she had seen ….

“Abyss says your older sibling is angry. He sounds very stern. Abyss worries too much.” Very suddenly Lowdown vanished just an instant before a large shadow flew overhead - the largest dragon with the ebony hide. This had to be Abyss.

Abyss spotted the human girl just standing there for no reason - a little too close to the flight. This he assumed was the younger sibling of the other Two Leg. He did not care to admit that he found the other Two Leg’s thoughts warm. In truth he knew that Duncan was not truly angry, but felt responsible for the younger one. In this Abyss was in accord with a Two Leg. It was the sort of thought he would have thought impossible for Two Legs. And yet …

Abyss sent his thoughts to Duncan alone. “I believe I have found the one you call Cecile. I think one of my siblings approached her. She is hiding in all ways. But I shall flush her out. Fear not. I would never harm a child, not even a Two Leg.”

Duncan grimaced. “I have a feeling we need to discuss this matter of Two Legs. I believe you are confused about us. I am almost old enough to be her father’s father.”

“But you are a child?” Abyss was indeed confused.

“No Abyss. We are not the same as the Two Legs hunting you. They are not from here. But that does not mean we are not dangerous. You sense my concern? I am an elder. Tell me, if one of YOUR elders thought you were endangered, how would they respond? I am ONE elder. MANY elders together often to not think clearly and respond with blind instinct - protective anger.”

“I understand … I have seen this. The Mother of Many ordered me to escort my younger siblings away. I did not want to …” He cut the conversation short as he pulled about them dove and landed hard on the ground near Cecile and gave a hissing roar at the human. It was a clear threat of harm.

THAT made Lowdown drop her camouflage and huff up protectively in front of Cecile. She gave her actions no thought. It was pure draconic instinct. She practically wobbled on her hindquarters giving a show of teeth and flapping her wings. She strained to lift her head above Abyss. It was a hopeless gesture. Only two dragons ever stood up to Abyss. Sharda - the new Mother of Many - and Lowdown. For Sharda it was a birthright. Lowdown was just plain fearless and stubborn.

For the longest time the two dragons refused to budge. Lowdown simply would not back down. It wasn’t long before the noise brought Duncan to its source. His face paled a little. But he had a gut feeling that Abyss was being honest. He just hoped the older dragon wouldn’t forget.

Duncan was holding the camcorder. “Forget something? I want you to ease over this way if you can.”

((Sorry for the short post not a lot to respond to ^^))

Cecile had felt some sort of disturbance coming from Lowdown, and it was quite concerning. "Are you okay?" She asked as she shook her head sideways, she must have said something that tapped a nerve. Lowdown didn't react until she said...unforgivable things...which she assumed something happened, but didn't press the matter. Because, it might provoke a violent response. It wasn't unreasonable for anyone, or anything to strike out in rage.

Then, she noticed Lowdown had suddenly disappeared. So, that's something they are capable of? Or at least that one was. But, she didn't get what it meant until she saw a large shadow on the ground, then heard a large landing sound, louder but similar to Lowdown's but with a little more grace. It was another dragon towering directly above her, before it let out a large hiss. Cecile could even tell it was like a warning, but she did not flee in fear. In fact it had the opposite effect. "Wow that was really loud good one." She laughed and clapped, before Lowdown appeared, it seemed like she was going to protect her, but the difference in height was somewhat...noticeable.

That was when she noticed, Duncan. He had brought out the camcorder, and was trying to get her to come over to him. But, she put up her finger, as if telling him to wait a minute. Then, she turned slightly to Lowdown. "Oi, Lowdown it was an honor to meet you. Let's see each other again someday okay? Oh, and big trying to be scary dragon. Don't hurt, Lowdown got it, or I won't forgive you." That's when she trotted over to Duncan. "Oh, when did you get here...I could have sworn I ..." She froze a moment.

That's when it dawned on her. She had broken a rule, to stay hidden, and on top of that. Pretty much recklessly endanger Duncan and herself. All she did was bow. "I'm so sorry, Duncan. I just got so interested, and I let curiosity get the hold of me again. But, on the bright side I did something stupid, and I met someone amazing." She tried to pass off a smile, as if trying to bribe him into not getting on to her. But, she knew without a doubt, she'd likely get scolded...or kicked out for breaking his rules.

Once Cecile was separated from the dragons, the actual fight ensued - Abyss versus Lowdown. It was far from an even fight. Abyss was older and larger. Lowdown, however, made up for it in sheer anger and stubborness. Duncan could tell that Abyss was actually starting to get angry at the younger, small dragon. There was a clear hierarchy and Lowdown clearly refused to obey it.

In the end it was Sharda who broke up the fight. It took her more that one try, which clearly upset the other dragons. She had to give a long, insistent keen to get Abyss attention. Lowdown took that as a moment to break free and port out. And that was the last anyone would see of her for awhile.

Duncan, in the meantime was doing his best not to get angry. He had to remind himself that this wasn’t his kid. “Cecile …” he started and stopped, clearly frustrated and struggling with words. “Yes, you broke rules. They are there for your safety. But they are also for THEIR safety. Look at them. You may have very well caused Lowdown to get sent away from her siblings … permanently. I hope not. That was their lead huntress.

“Now that we know these really are sapient creatures we need to remember that they are also not humans and not to try to understand them by our standards. I think they have mistaken us for those hunters that are after them. They think I am your big brother - not an adult. I also suspect that do not comprehend what a lie is. I don’t think we CAN lie to them. Abyss picked out a few very old thoughts right out of my memories. I think they drew their names out of my thoughts.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back