• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Dragon Prince: Divining the Dark [Closed]

Aaaravos blatantly watched Alette as she stripped down to her underwear, ridding herself of the leathers stained from training to opt for something more appropriate for the evening. He would’ve preferred if she went to bed in nothing. He didn’t say that, but he was certainly thinking it.

If he had actually been there, instead of just as this worm, he would've been able to wave away the wounds she sustained on her body in a second. Despite saying she was a healer, he was a little surprised she didn’t know how to do it herself, with the assistance of a little dark magic.

“Oh? I was in your dream? Why, I’m very flattered,” he teased, before ultimately answering, “Yes, that was me. I simply wanted to talk to you without the physical limitations of this form.” The dream form still provided limitations, but it was less. The main limitation was what scene Alette conjured up for them, and if she could figure out that she was indeed dreaming, which she did so easily that first time.

“Were you hoping for an encore performance?” Another slight tease, but also accompanied by genuine curiosity. “It is certainly something I could do again.” And he would, unless Alette had a hard no, then he would respect that boundary while figuring out another way to learn more about her.

~~~

Oh, Viren definitely knew of her reactions, but thankfully, he didn’t make any comments on it. Farah was sure her face would change to the same color as her hair if he did. Oh, how she could blush so easily in certain situations.

“I will definitely try and join you in your offer of delicious meals as often as I can.” She didn’t know the likelihood of coming over everyday, but she definitely wanted to, for the food and the company, even if the echoes of his temper still lingered in the back of her mind. But oh how she could easily push that aside for some delicious food.

“I wouldn’t want to bother you with too much of my presence though.” Another chuckle as she took another bite of the crumble. She wouldn’t want him to grow tired of her, quite the opposite really. She still hoped that something more would grow out of this budding friendship.

She smiled. “But I will definitely continue to praise your cooking, and even make up for the lack of praise coming from your children.” Even if they should occasionally mention to their father that they enjoyed his cooking, Farah was happy to see that he cooked for them often enough that they had grown used to it, despite his busy life, even before becoming king.

Alette rolled her eyes – but smiled as Aaravos confirmed he was indeed in the dream, opening up the balm. It was dark magic enhanced, of course, but it was a slower remedy than some. She didn’t feel the need to break out anything ridiculous for just these cuts, and so she took some on her fingers and rubbed it over her knee, ignoring the uncomfortable warmth as always.

She was accustomed to it.

“Mmm, I would,” she agreed readily enough, “it’s better than my usual nightmares, even if you are a vague nuisance,” she wasn’t ever going to drop that, of course. “It’s the only dream I’ve remembered in a while, too. I suppose knowing it was a dream helped that,” she had been lucid enough to remember it differently.

Balm on, she capped it once again and turned in her chair to get to work, not bothering to dress the rest of the way. She would when she had to step out, but she was already sitting, so why get up again?

She took her pen and her ink, opened up her own book of spells, and began to comb through it. There wasn’t an order – one day, there would be, but right now she just added to it at the next empty page, and color-coded the corners so she could find relevant things. Green was things relating to healing, blue for protections, and things of that nature, so those were the main pages she flipped to. “I was going to ask what your favorite scent was before we were so rudely separated, and I’ve still been wondering about it.”

Nothing serious – she’d taken to heart his reticence when she tried to probe deeper at a childhood.

~***~

Viren was pleased to hear she would try to make it up often. It meant he’d make sure to prepare for four, and if there was extra, well, Soren could always use more. With all the work he did, he definitely should be eating more, so it wouldn’t be a hardship to get rid of it. Assuming some other visitor didn’t bother him, of course. He supposed there might be times Alette did, or any one of the other monarchs or dark mages.

Probably not Samir. At least he could write him off.

“I do not think I will get tired of your presence,” Viren reassured, “it is certainly better company than several alternatives.” Kasef came to mind, not that he had anything against Kasef, but the boy was…well, he was stupid. The smartest decision of his life had been trusting Viren, and that was as far as it went. “Especially if you turn out to be all right a chess.”

Although he did not urge their move there, letting Farah enjoy her crumble in peace without the rush, he instead asked, “Not to change the subject entirely, but I was wondering – have you ever ventured far out of Evenere before?” He doubted she had ever gone to Xadia – not with the tense situation, even before killing Thunder, but he was curious if she’d done much traveling at all prior to this.

“Or maybe I should be flattered that it was the only dream you’ve remembered in a while.” Only another tease. Aaravos knew that magically created dreams would be easier to remember, as that’s what he wants.

What fun would it be to go into someone’s dreams only for them to not remember it ever happening?

Aaravos momentarily turned his attention to the book Alette began to work in, curious as to what she was doing. Admittedly, the question of his favorite scent bemused him. It was so odd, so random, that he didn’t think anyone had asked him that before.

Therefore, he didn’t know what to answer.

“I’m…I’m not sure,” he replied honestly. “And I’ve been in here for so long, that I can’t recall at the moment many scents I’ve loved over the years.” One of the small tragedies of his imprisonment. Maybe once he was freed, he would take small enjoyment at the first field of flowers he happened upon. “And what about you?”

~~~

Farah couldn’t help the smile that blossomed when Viren announced he would not get tired of her presence. She wanted to challenge that, teasingly, but instead she let the pleasant thought linger in the air.

Nor did she think she would get tired of his presence.

“Oh, you’ll come to find out I’m far better than just alright at chess,” she said with a wink, before finishing up her crumble and setting the dish to the side. While the topic of chess was brought up, and they both seemed ready to indulge in a game, the conversation shifted briefly to a different topic, which Farah easily allowed.

“I’ve been to all of the human kingdoms,” she answered. “The last time I had visited Katolis, it was actually for the wedding of King Harrow and Queen Sarai.” It had seemed so long ago, and now, tragically both were dead. “Which now that I’m thinking about it, we may have actually seen each other before.” But she couldn’t be quite sure. There were a lot of faces that day, and a lot of introductions.

“And what about you? Have you managed to travel much?” Had he visited Evenere before?

There was a break in Aaravos’s confidence under such a simple question. Alette felt an ache in her own heart as he admitted he wasn’t sure any longer, but refrained from letting the ‘aww’ spill from her lips. At least she couldn’t fix the caterpillar with her sad look for it, either.

“Well, once you’re free, I’ll have to introduce you to all the scents again so we can find out what your favorites are, or what brings up pleasant memories.” Alette promised, “There’s so many lovely ones out there – cinnamon, spiced ciders, basil, campfires, peonies, evergreens, and limes!” Alette could only sigh at the thought of some of them.

Some were more common to her life than others, “I’m not sure how to pick just one,” she confessed, “How do I trade childhood sweet memories of cinnamon for the cleansing scent of basil? Or rare florals for exotics fruits?” Favorites were impossible! “Maybe cinnamon, though. I’ve liked it the longest,” sound enough logic. “But sometimes it’s too much, too sharp, too strong.”

And that’s when she liked things like petrichor and basil – clean, fresh scents, rarely overpowering.

“Yes – I’m definitely going to have to collect things for you to smell again,” she determined.

~***~

Viren took his cue when the dish was set aside, and he rose to collect it, taking all the finished dishes and setting them aside to be cleaned later. That, at least, he wouldn’t need to do. He’d take them out later to be cleansed. Farah was answering his question as he brought the chess set over and resumed his seat, turning the set so the white pieces were before Farah.

The wedding of Harrow and Sarai felt like an eternity ago.

“We may have seen each other, but I am afraid I do not recall any interaction then. There were numerous people, though, it would be hard for anyone but the couple to stand out in the crowd,” and how they had! Viren had been close, of course, just as Amaya had been close to her sister though the event.

It had been a beautiful day.

“I have gone through all the kingdoms, as well, though none in recent times. I’ve been in Xadia more recently than any other kingdom,” he chuckled, but sighed at the truth of it. He’d been dealing with this growing tension that had now broken out into war for a long, long time. It had truly worn on him.

“I do not enjoy having to go back. I would much rather go explore more of the human kingdoms,” but soon, he would have such luxuries. “For now, I think the first move is yours, Your Grace.” He gestured across the board for Farah to take her move.

Aaravos wasn’t quite sure what to think about Alette’s promise. To be offered to be introduced to old, familiar scents again? This was on the idea that Alette would be one of those who helped free him from his prison, that she indeed was a mage he kept as a pawn in his grand plans.

He would allow her to entertain such thoughts for now. They were a nice distraction.

“It sounds like this is something you think about quite often,” he chuckled. Not that there was anything bad with that, humans often found the little things in life to enjoy and indulge in.

But oh, how there were certain foods he hadn’t had in centuries that would bring back pleasant and bittersweet memories.

“I do recall the scent of cinnamon being pleasant, and I remember associating it with the winter solstice.” Cookies made with cinnamon filling the bakeries.

“Well, I will look forward to this endeavor of seeking out a variety of scents to smell. Just promise me they’ll only be pleasant smells, and nothing rancid.”

~~~

Farah’s eyes followed Viren as he moved around to set aside their dirtied dishes. “Oh no, I hardly would imagine anything standing out from that day except the couple themselves,” she chuckled. And oh how she loved Sarai’s dress, and how dashing Harrow looked.

“Well, once this is over and we’ve all returned home, you have an open invitation to visit Evenere, and I’ll make sure to show you only the best sites.” She always had such pride when showing a visitor the beauty that was her home, Evenere, and she was almost certain that Viren would enjoy seeing her home, especially all the different plants and critters around the island kingdom.

Viren set the chess board on the table between them, and faced the white pieces towards her. She thought for a second on correcting Viren for using ‘Your Grace,’ but she let it slide this time, enjoying the way he said it in their intimate space.

“First move? I wonder if I should worry if this is a tactic of yours,” she mused with a slight smirk, reaching one hand out to move a pawn forward.

“Mmm, cinnamon is a popular scent in Del Bar since it’s so cold. We have lots of cinnamon in our desserts,” Alette agreed with the thought of cinnamon and winter. It was a perfect pairing, really! “Cinnamon apple pie, cinnamon rolls, snickerdoodles, and so many other things,” she sighed, half-wishing she could have something like that now.

Alas. No such things had been made for food that night.

“I make no promises about rancid smells, though. Everyone has different senses, and I can’t possibly guess every scent right. I mean, some people don’t like the smell of smoke and bonfires,” Alette shook her head in disagreement. It was a lovely smell! “But at least any bad smell will be over with quickly and you can move on to nicer ones.”

She was adding things to her list with brief descriptions so others would be able to find the items, and so her mind easily slipped into those thoughts, “I don’t suppose you have any recommendations for ingredients or spells going forward to protect the armies? I have a lot in my book, but I know I don’t have everything…and I’m guessing you want this venture to succeed.” Hint hint! “I’ll take you back to Viren when the list is done, but I thought you could help with it, too.”

~***~

Viren wouldn’t ask about seeing the worst places. No one ever really wanted to see those, but he was curious when she suggested only the best. Not of the worst, necessarily, but what she considered the best. What was just mediocre to her? Yes, he wanted to know these things, and how to stand above mediocre himself.

He had a feeling he was doing a good job with the food, though.

He usually did.

And with the slight smirk that came to his lips as she wondered at his strategy, “I assure you…I have strategies for going first, and going second,” he noted, moving a knight out rather than a pawn. Often, he just moved pawns at the outset, but he had become good in chess for his ability to truly use the knight to the best of their abilities, usually running pieces to where a bishop or queen could take them, without them ever realizing it because they focused on the knight.

Just what a knight should do, really.

But he wouldn’t play easy on Farah. He observed carefully, and didn’t let his own arrogance run ahead of him. This was a new opponent, who learned chess outside of Katolis – there were things to learn about the styles of Evenere play and what she had been taught, too, and he meant to learn as much as he could in a single game, while continuing the light conversation with her.

And occasionally, the teasing at her choices in the game, or subtle comments of ‘are you sure?’ to make her reconsider, even if there was nothing to reconsider.

“All of that does sound rather pleasant and delicious,” Aaravos had to admit. Comforting, almost, he wanted to say.

Humans were rather creative when it came to cooking. They were all too creative with mixing different spices and flavors into new dishes.

“I do recall being disgusted by the smell of flatu-lillies, so if you stay away from anything that smells like that, it should be okay.” Such a vile defense mechanism for a flower, that Aaravos would always steer clear of them whenever he saw a bundle of them together.

He swore weaponizing the smell could ward off your greatest enemies.

“Something to protect the armies…hmm, I’m sure I could think of a few things.” And he would give her some information, when an absolute delightful realization crossed his mind. His spectral form could still see what Viren was doing, even if he remained hidden so the high mage wouldn’t see him. “But depending on how long that list may take, I’m sure you will want to wait on returning me to Viren, for he is entertaining company.” With the very queen they were trying to pull him away from.

~~~

Of course Farah knew there was a multitude of strategies for either going first or second. The Katolis Defense. The Neolandia Opening. There were a myriad of ways to open a game with names to their strategies, as those first few moves could determine the outcome of a game.

Viren proved to be a formidable opponent, certainly tougher than Samir, but she wondered to herself if that was due to knowing Samir and his moves for far too long, compared to someone she barely knew and never played chess against before. Something she continued to wonder as the game progressed, and there still was no clear victory in sight.

And those slight teases…they bothered her in the best ways. I should fire back with my own.

A delightful idea crossed her mind. Sighing, Farah unbuttoned her top layer and placed it over the back of her chair, revealing far more skin with a short sleeved, low-cut tunic. “That’s better, I feel like I can breathe again,” she chuckled, resting her arms on the table to lean down slightly and ‘study the board better.’

She would win this game, if she had anything to say about it.

Alette made a mental note about the flatu-lilies. They hadn’t been on her list of things to acquire in the first place, although now she wondered about sneaking one in just to bother Aaravos. For now, she’d put a pin in the idea. Trapping him in a jar, apparently, had not been enough to make her reconsider tormenting him a little – even when she met him in person.

If that ever were to happen.

She still needed to know why he was locked up – it was unlikely Samir had found that information yet, though she still wondered if he had found anything or if her suspicion had been more correct. Which, now caused her to sigh as she suspected the company Viren was entertaining. “Are you kidding me?” Alette pushed her fingers back through her hair in frustration. “Queen Farah is still humoring him after that? What do I have to do to keep her away from him?” it was almost a whine, but it was a sincere question, one she doubted Aaravos would answer.

There was only so much Alette could do if she wanted to keep this army going forward. ‘I wonder if Samir would let me use a potion on Farah….’ There were hate potions, as much as there were love potions, but she sighed and shook her head. No, she didn’t need that, either. That would dissolve the army just as well. ‘Maybe I could just make Viren smell awful?’ He would kill her. Maybe literally.

“Maybe I should bring you back sooner.” Start another argument, one far more sincere than before. She even got up and grabbed her bottoms to slip them on, as if to do just that, looking around for her boots.

~***~

Viren wasn’t an idiot.

He recognized what Farah was choosing to do when she unbuttoned a bit of her top, because it absolutely was not that hot in the tent – even if he had a second to reconsider that as heat rose to his face while his eyes took in the new sight offered to him. Well, she wanted him to look, it wasn’t as if she could blame him.

It was his move, but he delayed taking it. He had every reason to delay, given that looking at the board with her leaning forward gave him ample excuse to admire something else that was ample, and an obvious distraction. “There are plenty of Evenere strategies I’ve heard of, but this is not one,” he gestured broadly at the board, but he was certain she’d know what he was referring to, and it wasn’t at all the placement of pieces. “Or perhaps the heat has simply gotten to your head. My apologies,” and he rose from the table, “I did think that keeping my tent on the warm side would be more comfortable. It seems I was mistaken.”

He moved to his collection of ingredients, and took one flying bug, using it and a quick chant, “Hguoht evom, ezeerb gnihserfer.” And a cool breeze did indeed begin to cycle through the tent, “That should help.” It was an easy enough spell, not even darkening his eyes, before he moved back to the board.

And if she didn’t bundle back up, he’d enjoy the other reactions the cold brought, as he made his move as skillfully as before, having allowed himself the time to enjoy the distraction in “thoughtful contemplation” of her apparent comfort.

“Why are you so set on separating the two of them?” Aaravos wondered out loud. Sure, he knew that Viren was responsible for the death of Fareeda, her sister. Aaravos was the one who led Viren down that path, after all. But he didn’t understand why Alette was obsessed with keeping the two apart.

If Viren and Farah naturally migrated towards one another, then so be it. It was all the more amusing for him, knowing what he knew.

Seeing Alette beginning to get ready to leave to return to Viren’s tent, Aaravos wondered at how serious she was at keeping the two apart, and why. As far as he knew, the two hardly knew each other, unless this was some sort of revenge against Viren.

“Have you considered befriending Queen Farah?” he asked. “It would bring her away from Viren, if you time these attempts just right, and you would be able to interject your own negative opinions about Viren to her to try and drive them apart, if that is what you wish.” Nothing something he would completely support, as it could damage the armies working together.

“But I figured you would have more questions for me tonight.”

~~~

At first, Farah thought she had a silent victory, as she noticed where Viren’s gaze flickered to, the entire reason for what she did. Sure, she enjoyed his eyes taking in the new sight for reasons other than distractions for a chess game. There was really no losing this moment for her.

Her mind thought briefly of how he would look at her if even more clothing was removed.

She didn’t blush, but easily smiled as Viren commented on Evenere’s strategies. “Well, there are many different Evenere strategies to learn. I’m not surprised you haven’t heard of them all.” Of course she wouldn’t outright admit to what she was doing, or acknowledge that she knew what was going on. She wanted to tease a little herself.

As Viren moved to cool off the tent, Farah gave him a knowing look. They both knew what was going on, but yet they still allowed it.

“Thank you, it does feel better now.” The cold air did indeed begin to make her body react in ways that were involuntary, a reaction that did make her flush slightly as she noticed it. She withstood it for a few more moves, but eventually did she opted to put her top layer back on.

Although a close game, Viren ultimately won. “Well played,” Farah congratulated, genuine. “That may have been the hardest game I’ve had in ages.”

Aaravos’s question seemed like a stupid one, and Alette huffed at it as she found her shoes and began to put them back on, but she heard him continue on about befriending Farah. That sent guilt through her. How could she, when she knew what happened to Fareeda? “I have no right to be Queen Farah’s friend, knowing what I know. And I know this,” Alette insisted, as if that was the difference of her and Viren.

Which, it was.

She was keeping a secret, one she knew would become known in the future, but she wasn’t going to complicate it or confuse Farah with a friendship. She would try to look out for her where Viren was concerned. “If Queen Farah knew what Viren did, she wouldn’t be interested in him, at all, that’s why I’m intent on separating them. Because she will find out – even if I do nothing.”

The truth just…worked that way. It might be ten years, it might be ten days, but it would come out.

“I don’t want her heart broken that badly. It’ll break no matter what, but it’s better if it isn’t a betrayal of that intimate degree,” Alette said, “You shouldn’t want it, either, Aaravos.” Alette sighed, “And of course I have questions for you, endless questions,” she chuckled, “but even you have to see how this is worse for Viren if they make a genuine connection. When both of their hearts break worse when the truth comes out. Or have you never been betrayed by a loved one before?”

Somehow she…doubted that.

Was it not something everyone experienced? The degree varied, but it happened. This would be a terrible degree.

“Never mind, that’s too personal a question, isn’t it?” Teasing, but not. A jab at exactly how useful it was to question him about anything, and why it wasn’t an issue to go bother Viren right then.

She could ask him about favorites of anything at any time.

~***~

“Well, I would be quite interested in learning more of Evenere’s strategies,” Viren noted as he returned to his seat, and let Farah play on…and eventually cover up, after flushing a brilliant shade of red. He would, of course, not comment on that either, nor offer to heat the tent back up. They both understood what had transpired, and the manner in which it had and hadn’t failed.

It didn’t lead to Farah’s victory, but the match was good all the same. She clearly had experience, and did play a different style than he was accustomed to, but he supposed he’d figure it out soon enough and how to counter better in the future. Wasn’t that always the saddest part? The games rarely got better as he played a person more.

But, for now, it was exciting.

Fun.

So he smiled at the compliment, “Thank you,” of course, he was a gracious winner, “It was an enlightening experience, I truly meant what I said about the Evenere strategy being unique,” not just what she’d done, but also the way she played the game. “I would enjoy seeing more of you,” he realized exactly what he said, but managed to speak as if that didn’t have a double entendre to it, “and learning more of Evenere’s particular strategies, Farah,” and of course, he allowed his hand to brush hers as he reached to start picking up the pieces to settle them back into their box.

“But maybe she will begin to wonder and question why you seem so adamant on keeping her and Viren apart,” Aaravos countered, though he didn’t know how likely that was. He didn’t know Farah at all, except for what he overheard in conversation between her and Viren.

And there was a lot of obvious attraction and outright flirtation between the two.

Aaravos quieted at Alette’s question of if he had ever been betrayed by a loved one. That was a story no one deserved to know, especially some human mage who he was still figuring out. He couldn’t trust anyone, really, for trust was the reason he was imprisoned behind that mirror.

Why put your trust in someone if they would only turn around and use that against you for reasons unknown?

But why did you do that to me, after everything I've done and sacrificed for you…?

“You know I won’t answer anything too personal,” he responded smoothly. “But asking for my favorites of anything is quite fun. Such as…what is your favorite creature?”

~~~

The tension between the two thickened, and had Viren not cooled off the tent, Farah knew she would definitely be warm now between the word-play and their hidden intentions. It didn’t distract her from the game, but still, she lost. She wasn’t a sore loser though, and instead made note of the strategies Viren used.

There was always next time.

Farah gave Viren a knowing smile as he spoke after his victory. “Likewise, the Katolis strategy was something new for me to experience, and I look forward to seeing more of it.” She reached to help Viren put away the chess pieces, allowing her hand to brush against his. Oh, to feel that hand on other places. “And, of course, to see more of you as well.”

Once the pieces were put up, Farah stood up from her chair, assuming that their evening was coming to an end, but she didn’t move towards the flaps of the tent just yet. She leaned her hip against the table, resting one hand on it. “But if you want to learn more about Evenere strategies, I’ll be happy to explain them to you.”

“I’ll take that as a yes,” Alette noted as Aaravos refused to answer, grabbing her robe if only to make her look somewhat decent, and walking out as Aaravos asked her about her favorite creature. ‘Cute.’ Yes, now, of course, he’d start asking questions to try and distract her.

Not that it was a hard answer, “I like spiders of all kinds, but the emberback is my favorite,” Alette answered. “Their webs are beautiful, and it’s peaceful to watch them spin the webs out. I know it’s just a tactic for food, but it’s…so creative, it makes one wonder if it ever could be more than that, if sometimes their designs are genuine expressions of thought or emotion, and not just primal need.”

Likely not, but why not dream?

Not that considering such things had ever stopped her from crushing a spider in her hands to take their magic, either.

“I’ll ask about your favorite creature later,” because she wasn’t falling into that trap about asinine little things, “Perhaps you can advise Viren better about his decisions; he might listen to you since he doesn’t seem to listen to me.”

A sigh, and then, “Although you didn’t tell me, I’m still going to tell you,” because it was night, and there weren’t many people looking her way as she moved through the camps, “I know this kind of betrayal, too. Not this intimate, but the one who taught me dark magic? He betrayed me. He sent me into Xadia to get ingredients to make my staff, and then he stole my Sun Stone.”

No, not a love betrayal, but it had helped her to keep relationships…light since then. Easier to break. “I found him, of course.” She had the stone, “and I stole his voice so he can’t do magic anymore. I keep it in a jar,” never far from her, although she supposed he could have had it reversed, whenever she’d looked in, the singing-weasel paw still had the glow to suggest the voice was still there. “So I know what it’s like, and it’s not fun, and that was just a little betrayal.”

No, it wasn’t a little betrayal, but she always downplayed it.

The relationship of a student and a mentor was still something sacred, with a power dynamic not meant to be overstepped, and he’d gone and ruined it. It had taken her far too long to open up to Samir because of it; she was glad she had, in the end, but she’d lost time she could have really enjoyed with him.

~***~

Farah echoed his word choice, and he hardly needed to question what her thoughts were in that choice. She made her thoughts quite well known so far, it was just a matter of speed and pressure now. What was too far, what was too fast? That was always the question in these situations, and though Viren liked to lead, he was aware that flirting with a Queen was new territory.

Not that he’d not lead.

And his suggestions were certainly leading her in a direction he was quite pleased with.

With the chess pieces put away, he did take the box from the table and noted Farah had yet to move away, but lingered, querying him on tactics without the chess board there to show him what they were.

Naturally, because they didn’t require the board.

So, he returned, stepping in closer, “I am interested in learning more,” of course, “if you have the time,” his own hand settled on the table, atop hers, “Although I am a fairly hands-on learner. I hope that won’t be a problem with your method of instruction?”

Aaravos knew his silence would only answer Alette’s question, but he didn’t care. He couldn't care. She didn’t know the details, nor would she ever know those details. Never would he allow himself to get that vulnerable around someone again, that they could use that weakness against him.

“I did not imagine you as one who likes spiders, but your thoughts about them are almost…artistic.” And intriguing. How many did he know were disgusting by spiders, not once considering what they did and contributed to the ecosystem? Of the architecture they could create with only what their bodies provided and nothing more?

It was almost like magic.

He chuckled when she said she would ask about his favorite later. She had a goal in mind, and seemed set on accomplishing that goal. He almost felt sorry for Viren and Farah, and what Alette would interrupt. Maybe he would just advise Viren on the situation, or maybe not.

Either scenario would be entertaining for him.

He fell silent again as Alette told him of her own experience in betrayal. Aaravos almost thought it foolish for her to tell him of such an intimate, emotional memory. It only allowed him a further insight into her mind. But he didn’t say anything, and only soaked in the story. A stolen sentimental object by one she trusted greatly, and her act of revenge.

Not quite the same betrayal he experienced, but one all the same. “No, it’s not a fun experience, isn’t it?” was all he would say on that matter.

But because he didn’t enjoy the silence, Aaravos continued, “Even though you didn’t ask, I am very partial to adoraburrs and owls.”

~~~

Farah’s smile widened as Viren responded positively to her suggestions, not that she expected anything else, or maybe a suggestion for them to continue the next night. But he didn’t, and for that she was glad.

She was genuinely interested in him, and she wanted to get to know him further, but it had been too long since she had been this intimate with a person, and so she was quite eager to learn more about Viren in this intimate manner.

And if their relationship didn’t go forward for any reason, at least they would have had one fun evening together.

The touch of his hand on hers sent a pleasant tingle down her spine. “That won’t be a problem at all. I find that hands-on learning is generally the best method for committing a new lesson to memory.” Her other hand reached up to gently rest on his upper arm. Oh how she wanted to just pull him even closer, until their bodies touched, and close the distance between their lips!

But she would let him make the next move in their own physical game of chess.

Alette couldn’t help the way her nose wrinkled at the comment of ‘adoraburrs’. It wasn’t what she expected, “Really?” and she knew she wouldn’t really get any additional details on it, given her trajectory, “Not what I expected for you with the adoraburrs,” the owls weren’t too strange, but she was curious as to the why.

Wasn’t that what Aaravos kept neglecting? Whys? Explanation was personal.

She could hate him for it.

She reconsidered her invitation for dreams for a moment, reflecting on exactly how foolish it was – but then, one didn’t take away food from a feral cat, just because the cat didn’t let a person pet it. ‘Patience.’ She could have patience with him, this poor feral cat, who had been betrayed so much he couldn’t trust a soul with anything that meant something to him.

Sadly, for the time being, she had to focus on Viren, and she pulled his tent flap aside to step in, witnessing how close he and Farah were again as she started, “Viren, I n—ah….” She at least had the decency to look away.

Viren couldn’t help but have his focus broken from Farah’s clear invitations. Despite offering to teach, she made no move to start a lesson, which perhaps was for the best this time around. They were interrupted, by Alette, and though she looked away he could still see the angry residual was there in her expression.

Whatever she came for, must have been important enough to try and face him again through that anger. And through his own.

He didn’t jolt away from Farah but gently reached up to brush her hand down his arm and away, before he stepped from her, “Alette.” His tone was still curt. Clipped. He wasn’t happy to see her, “You must have a very good reason for being here.”

“Unfortunately.”

He sighed, and looked to Farah, “I apologize that I must call our evening short, Your Grace, it seems there are more duties to perform before I can consider retiring,” he did at least soften some of his agitation – it wasn’t at her, “I hope you will have a pleasant night.”

Aaravos merely chuckled at Alette’s reaction to his favorite animals, enjoying the surprise in her voice. He wouldn’t comment any further on that, not hinting if he was merely jesting or completely serious.

He would never tell, only tease at possibilities.

As they entered the tent, and interrupted a moment Viren would no doubt get angry over at her for, Aaravos whispered in Alette’s ear, “Put me down on the desk, or somewhere, but you two devolve into your screaming match.”

He didn’t wish his little bug puppet to accidentally be thrown from Alette’s ear in the throes of anger, or squished in a fist unintentionally.

Unfortunately, Farah would not have an opportunity to experience how Viren’s lips felt upon hers, as Alette pulled back the flap and walked into the tent without so much as an announcement or a warning.

To just walk in on a monarch’s private sleeping quarters so freely! But didn’t Samir did the very same to her on a near daily basis?

Farah sighed as they stepped apart, already missing his body heat and his hand upon hers. Of how his arm felt under her hand. She was frustrated, and a bit irritated at Alette, but she didn’t display her emotions so openly like Viren did.

“Of course, duty calls.” She could see his anger simmering at the surface, and his outburst from early was still in her mind. She frowned as that anger threatened to come back.

It completely ruined the mood of the evening.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, King Viren.” She moved to leave the tent, pausing for a second to give Alette a polite nod of her head. With that, she exited into the night and into her thoughts.

Alette returned the polite nod, and once Farah was gone, she walked forward to set Aaravos on the desk. Viren started to reach for him, but Alette interrupted, “I wouldn’t – I think he has justifiable concerns about our pending argument.”

“Oh, you came back for more?” Viren couldn’t help the irritation.

Alette held up her hands, “No, but,” obviously she was still going to, “I came because he mentioned what you and Farah were up to,” and of course, Viren shot a rueful look at the bug, perhaps reconsidering it’s position in all of this, “and because this is absolutely stupid, Viren! I started the argument with you earlier to try and convince her it was stupid, but apparently that didn’t work—”

“You did what?”

“I knew you’d be defensive about that situation when it came from me,” she folded her arms over her chest, “You’re not that difficult to read.” And he was furious. “You killed her sister.” Of course, she just whispered that, hissed it at him, as a reminder, “And she will find out!”

“Is that a threat?”

“No, it’s—it’s how things work!” Alette’s fists clenched at her side, “You of all people should know this!”

“I—it may not,” he said.

“But you know she’d hate you if she knew,” Alette pointed out, “she’d never accept your argument about it and the necessity of it. It would always be there, between you. Just—go find any other person, Viren. Or wait until we get your elf boyfriend out of his cage.”

“Aaravos is not—,” Viren growled in frustration, knowing it was pointless to argue with something that likely wasn’t serious to begin with, “You should stay out of my business with Queen Farah, Alette. I know what I’ve done, and I know that it had nothing to do with Fareeda as a person. I can still build a relationship with Farah.”

“I’m sure she’ll absolutely understand that.”

Viren’s cheek twitched.

Alette did wonder if perhaps she might be stepping too close to that ‘accident’ line. It was quite possible, wasn’t it? What did he need her for, really, other than as another mage helping his army? “Reconsider.” Alette said, firmly.

“Or you’ll tell her?”

“No, Viren,” there was a sigh in her voice, “I won’t tell you what I’ll do,” that would be stupid, “but it’s just one woman. Is it really worth the risk? There’s thousands of people out there. I promise, this isn’t worth it…and you always look at the big picture, don’t you?” A note of hope, and that was where she’d in, walking out to let him soak in the words, and his mistakes.

The conversation didn’t quite turn as explosive as Aaravos had anticipated, but he was still content to watch the two humans from his little spot on the desk, while his spectral form leaned against it with slight amusement on his face.

“She may end up becoming a big problem sooner rather than later,” he said. There was no need to reiterate what would happen if Alette revealed to Queen Farah what Viren had done. The Queen would no doubt remove her troops and support from the war, and tell the other kingdoms there what had happened, who would then no doubt also pull their support.

Then all of Aaravos’ plans would come crashing down, and who knows how many more centuries he would have to wait until his next opportunity.

“Of course I’m not going to suggest you stop seeing that queen. Who am I to stop love from blossoming? But it would be wise to take care of this little issue with Alette before she does spill your little secret.” Aaravos wouldn’t outright say what Viren should do. He had a few ideas, a few different spells in mind, but he first wanted to see what the mage would come up with.

~~~

Farah wandered back in the direction of her camp, where her camp was set up and waiting for her to turn in for the evening. She was left alone in her thoughts of what exactly she was doing with King Viren, and what she hoped to accomplish from it. Of course, she would always hope that love would come of it, and Viren certainly seemed interested in pursuing something as well, thought Farah didn’t know if that something was just purely physical, or if he also hoped for more.

And of course there was that issue of his anger, something she had witnessed earlier in the evening, and then again saw the sparks of it building as she left. It did leave her with some hesitation.

She spotted Claudia walking not too far away, and a thought occurred to her. Of course Claudia could help ease some of her apprehension she may have. After all, who would know Viren’s anger better than his daughter?

“Claudia!” she called out as she walked up to her. “Do you have a moment?”

Viren expected Aaravos’s initial comments to be about their not-relationship, so he was actually relieved when Aaravos spoke sense, instead. Apparently, his time with Alette was revealing to him that there was a threat here, and Viren grumbled, “She should have been killed at the start,” not that he’d been in a position to do so, and even as he said it, he sighed, knowing he didn’t want that.

It would hurt to kill her.

She’d idealized him. They’d shared ideas, and he’d watched her grow into a dark mage. No, there wasn’t a familial relationship but…well, maybe something like a niece? One didn’t wave around a staff and just erase….

Erase!

“Memory.” He said it, despite not sharing the context of his thoughts with Aaravos as he went to check his own trunk for ingredients and thoughts that continued to slip in and out of his mind, “I’ve never done a spell to erase a memory before, but I know they exist,” now just where was the Sun’s Tears? He knew he had them, they were useful in healing all manner of things, but he also knew they were used in ‘healing’ from some mental ailments and were used with trauma.

He could use them here.

~***~

Claudia was surprised to hear Farah calling out to her, and looked over to the Queen. She smiled, of course, pleased enough to see her but certainly a bit confused before some recollection took over. ‘Ooooh.’ Maybe she was looking for her father? Well, she wasn’t too far from his tent! It would be easy to show her the way.

Except, rather than ask for directions, she asked to talk. Well, asked for a moment – but Claudia knew what that meant.

“I do,” she answered, her expression shifting to one of concern, “Is everything all right, Queen Farah?” with her pursed lips and brow pinching together, she didn’t see anything immediately wrong with Farah, but there were many things that could be. And Farah’s expression wasn’t glowing with joy, so something was on her mind.

Cold feet about the war?

They were so close to Xadia now, the border of flaming lava would be visible soon, and Claudia had been studying how to overcome that, evidenced by the dragon horn she held in her hand as she paced the camp. She had been going to ask Soren – not that he knew magic – to start talking about dragons because usually his inane ramblings helped her own mind stumble onto the missing piece.

It was a great dynamic!

Aaravos cocked his head, intrigued by the offhand comment Viren made in regards to Alette. The two definitely had an interesting relationship that was hard to define, but it was clear neither truly wanted to see the other suffer, even if their words sometimes contradicted that.

As he watched the mage grapple with the situation, Aaravos could practically see the wheels turning in his head as he came to the idea of an erasing spell.

Good. The man still had his wits about him.

“There are many useful spells for erasing memories,” Aaravos confirmed, moving over to where Viren was scavenging through his trunk for potential ingredients, curious about what all he had in there. “But you would have to be very careful as to which spell you used, for they can be very potent and accidentally erase too much of her memory.” And that would be very suspicious, as it would be hard to hide from everyone what had happened.

And then Alette would undoubtedly know what had been done to her, and thus a great schism in the army would form. That just wouldn’t be beneficial to anyone’s plans.

~~~

Farah was quick to wave away any concern Claudia may have had about the moment. “Oh yes, everything is alright. I just wanted to talk about something.” She gave their surroundings a quick glance around. There were still people out, but no one was near enough to hear their conversation.

“Specifically, I wanted to talk about your father.” She could only guess what ideas Claudia was getting in her mind, as she already suspected something was going on between the two of them. But Farah continued before Claudia could get too many ideas in her head. “I spent some time in your father’s company this evening, and I noticed that he can have…a bit of a temper.”

How he yelled still resonated in her memories.

“Fortunately that temper wasn’t directed at me,” just poor Alette, “but I was just wondering your thoughts and experience with his anger. He hasn’t stricken anyone before, has he?” She also wanted to know if he had ever said hurtful things in the throes of that anger, but even she wasn’t completely innocent of that.

Many people say things they don’t mean in the heat of the moment.

~~~

Soren didn’t mean to overhear the arguing coming from within his father’s tent.

He had been walking through the area, patrolling and making sure everything was okay and no threat to be seen, when he heard raised voices coming from Viren’s tent. He couldn’t make out the words, but he was familiar with that tone, being on the receiving end far too many times.

He nearly winced in sympathy at the person who was on the receiving end of his ire, which he didn’t have to wait long to find out who that was.

Alette soon exited the tent, and in the evening’s darkness, he couldn’t quite make out what her facial expression was showing. “Alette!” he called out, quickly walking up to her in just a few long strides. “Is everything…okay?”

He loved his father, but he also knew how intense he could be sometimes.

Viren knew he had to be careful and felt like snapping that. It wasn’t good that he was still so angry, and he recognized that when he looked up at the specter with that fighting glare still on his face, before he sighed, “You’re right, I know,” though it wouldn’t be that hard to cover it up if she had a fall from a horse.

Which didn’t seem impossible.

People suffered amnesia all the time for such things, though then he or Samir – probably Samir – would be expected to fix it, and Samir might stumble on the truth. No, he couldn’t mess this up, and he knew Aaravos wasn’t speaking just to hear his own voice.

“What do you suggest, Aaravos?” he’d had a good suggestion for dealing with the monarchs of the other kingdoms by turning those dead elves into shadow hunters that took them down. Certainly, he’d have an idea here, as well.

Although, Viren’s tone was still a bit snappish.

~***~

Claudia’s eyebrows rose as Farah mentioned wanting to talk about her father, not go see him. A smile touched her lips, before it faltered as she mentioned Viren’s temper. Claudia knew it. It wasn’t often directed at her, but she’d seen it directed at Soren, and other people, before, so she wasn’t unfamiliar with it.

Nor unfamiliar with it being directed at her, either.

“Stricken? No, no, no, no, no,” Claudia shook her head, the denials immediate, “I mean, he’s maybe flipped a table or two, but he’s never hurt anyone in his anger. Not physically,” verbally, of course, that was the goal of angry Viren, after all. Angry Viren was a little irrational. “It’s a lot to deal with, but it usually flares quick, and then it’s gone quick, and he’s sulking and realizing what he did.”

Claudia looked a little sad, “He got into a fight with Harrow on Harrow’s last day because His Grace wouldn’t listen and let Viren save him,” and though Viren never said it, Claudia knew he’d gone to offer his own life as the sacrifice at the end, and Harrow still refused. “It’s hard to see. And it’s hard to be on the other end. But knowing his anger comes from a place of deep love helps. Knowing he wouldn’t get into all these arguments if he didn’t think the person he was fighting with, was someone worth helping…it makes it easier."

And Claudia looked a little bit hopeful as she added, “Plus when he’s sulking, he’s a lot more reasonable! He just has to get…all of that out.”

~***~

Alette didn’t expect to be interrupted in her angry march back to her tent, but she was. She jumped, startled by the voice, though her expression softened even before she saw Soren. His voice was recognizable enough, and the tone suggested enough. He’d heard at least some of the argument, or knew there had been an argument.

Alette sighed at the question.

No, things obviously were not okay, but this was Soren’s father, so she had to have some tact and not just call the man an irrational bastard thinking with his cock and not his brain. Even if Soren was old enough to understand all of that. Or perhaps because he was old enough to understand all of it.

“No, no it’s not,” Alette shook her head, “your father’s being a bit unreasonable and he can’t see it right now.” As if he’d ever see it. As if Alette wouldn’t have to make good on her word to find worse ways to separate him and Farah. “It’s nothing that’ll impact the war,” hopefully, “just…personal things.”

Aaravos easily ignored the snappish tone in Viren’s voice. His anger only amused the elf. What could he do to Aaravos anyways? Absolutely nothing.

At the question, he cocked his head to the side in contemplation. “I believe the best way to deal with this issue is to let me handle it. I can will myself into her dreams and move her memories associated with her knowledge of what we’ve done into her dreams, thus making her think everything was nothing but a dream.”

Certainly magic more powerful than anything Viren knew how to do, and if not done properly, then it could mess up Alette’s memories permanently. He saw it as the best way to make Alette forget without erasing other memories near when she found out.

Any other erasure could seem very suspicious, such as to that other mage. He was no fool.

“I would be able to do it tonight, before she gets any ideas to follow through on her threats to tell anyone else, especially to that queen of yours.”

~~~

Flipped a table? Farah raised a brow at that. Sure, it wasn’t striking someone in his anger, but it still displayed how intense his rage could get. It didn’t exactly ease the concerns Farah had.

Her face softened as Claudia continued onto the story of King Harrow’s last days, and what Viren had tried to do to save him. She couldn’t fault Viren for that one. If she had a way to save her sister, and Fareeda wouldn’t listen, Farah just may let her anger get the better of her as well.

Oh, what we would do for our loved ones.

“That anger just concerned me a bit,” she admitted, “because it's that irrationality is something that can turn things south very quickly.” And it was not a trait a new king proving he deserved to be on the throne should have.

“But it does sound like everything comes from a place of love.” It doesn’t quite justify all actions, but it gave Farah a bit more clarity. “Thank you for indulging my question.”

~~~

Soren winced as he startled Alette, but she didn’t seem too concerned about that. As expected, there was an argument between her and his father, and that left her in a foul mood. Soren knew the feeling all too well, though their arguments always left him feeling somewhat worthless. Like he would just never be good enough for his father.

He could understand how arguments with him can turn out, which was probably why he felt the need to approach Alette.

“Ah, well, anything I can help out with?” Soren asked, rubbing the back of his neck. He hadn’t heard of his father suffering with…personal things. Would Claudia know more?

“I know I’ve never known him not to do something for a reason,” he offered. Was it true though? Viren asked Soren to kill the princes, he was sure of that, despite what his father tried to backtrack on. Was that for a good reason?

Surely, there was a reason for everything he did.

Viren was surprised by Aaravos’s confession, and briefly wondered why Aaravos had not shown up in his dreams…only to consider it was possible that he had, and Viren just didn’t remember. Viren didn’t typically dream, though. That was one blessing. It was very possible he also just didn’t remember if he did.

He wouldn’t ask.

He probably didn’t want to know anything else about the dreams. ‘My elf boyfriend?’ As if Alette hadn’t been flirting with him from the start of meeting Aaravos.

Aaravos’s plan was good, though. “All right,” Viren shut the trunk and stood up. Alette wasn’t outright threatening to tell, but it would no doubt come to that, eventually. If she decided this war was no longer worth it with all the secrets in the air. “I’ll let you handle it, then.” He didn’t need to warn Aaravos not to mess this up.

He knew that very well.

But Viren was curious. “How does this work in a dream? You don’t need ingredients or anything?” Or perhaps he’d do all of that in reality and take it into the dream? Viren didn’t really understand how astral projection and spell work, would work.

Or if it was even dark magic and not, well, star magic. That wouldn’t require ingredients.

~***~

“No, no, I understand!” Claudia said, “his anger is concerning, and if I didn’t know him so well, I might have been worried about that, too,” Claudia chuckled, “but I do know him, and I do know it always comes from a place of love. He just…loves very intensely, and he’s never been good with his anger.”

Which was a problem. Even Claudia could admit it was a problem, but she also wasn’t really in a place to teach him or help him with that. She was just glad to have learned from the example and not have such a bad temper herself!

Nor did Soren.

“It’s a little scary, but if you can get through that heat, then talking to him after usually goes very well!” He was far more subdued, after all. Sure, the threat of it flaring up again was still there, but he was typically more reasonable. “I am sorry you had to witness it already, though. What was he getting all riled up about?”

Maybe she could shed some light on it, if she still had concerns about the reason.

~***~

“Not every reason is a good one, Soren,” Alette pointed out as Soren mentioned his father having reasons. Of course, Viren did. Viren always had reasons. Alette always had reasons! It was the thing that set humans apart from dogs, that magical ability to reason their way into every hole possible and still tie a rope around their necks when offered a way out of the hole! Truly, astoundingly magical!

Like Viren.

She sighed, “Unless you can keep him away from Queen Farah, I don’t think there’s anything you can do.” Soren would want to know why, and Alette couldn’t tell him. Not exacts. “There are some things that are important to Her Grace to know, regarding your father, and he won’t tell her, all while thinking it’s a good idea to pursue a relationship with her. He’s a bit…blinded by affection right now and not thinking clearly about where this is heading.”

To a heartbreak. An immense heartbreak, and more besides. “I wish it could have been better for him. For Farah. But if he keeps refusing to be honest with himself and with Queen Farah, it’s going to be a terrible break, and I’m trying to make it easier by catching it early. You know, like….” How to say it to Soren?

Soren who competed in a lunges challenge?

“…when someone’s posture is off when they’re doing a lunge? If you catch it early, you can fix it! But if you don’t, and they get used to that wrong posture, then trying to fix it is also going to be a struggle, and might even hurt. That’s…all I’ve been trying to do.” Catch this early, before they got in too deep, and ruined it.

“Your father should have people that care about him, but a relationship built on lies…it’s not going to work.”

Aaravos perched himself on Viren’s desk, one leg crossing over the other, as if he was getting more comfortable. “There will be some preparation on my end before the dream, but largely I will be using the star arcanum.” And hence why Viren couldn’t do the spell.

The star arcanum was so closely linked with time and reality itself, that to manipulate a fraction of it in order to alter the memories of a human would be a rather simple task to do.

Though he had never done it from inside the subject’s dreams before. That would be the fun part.

A human-made dark magic spell would simply be too risky if they didn’t want to erase vital memories anywhere from everything that happened that day, to more than a week’s worth of memories gone.

“A sweeping gesture, a quick incantation, and poof! Alette’s memories of what we’ve done to the monarchs with the Moonshadow assassins will be gone, allowing you and Queen Farah to…get to know one another better.” Aaravos’s mischievous grin held his true meaning behind his words.

~~~

For a brief second, Farah’s mind entertained the question of how else could Viren intensely love, before she pushed that aside. Now was not the time to think of such things.

At Claudia’s question, Farah sighed. “High Mage Alette brought up the topic of the Moonshadow assassins, which I definitely understand why that is a sore topic for him, as it is for me as well,” she said with a sad chuckle, shaking her head. “And she was asking him questions about how they could possibly learn more about these assassins should we have their equipment, and they got into a little argument over that.”

She could definitely understand Viren’s anger at that particular topic, which was why she didn’t completely disregard his apologies in the moment.

“And then later on, while your father and I were…having a private conversation, High Mage Alette came into his tent unannounced, which definitely put him back in that irate mood.” Which, again, was a little understandable. Even Farah had been slightly annoyed at what Alette had interrupted.

Of what could have been.

~~~

Soren frowned at Alette’s words. “I don't understand.” There was a lot he didn’t understand, but what she was talking about especially he didn’t quite comprehend. “What about my father is it that he won’t tell her?”

He couldn’t think of anything too bad that would ruin a relationship and lead to heartbreak down the road. “I’m pretty sure she already knows that he uses dark magic.” That had been a dealbreaker for his mother, after all. But Queen Farah already knew! And even had a high mage of her own, as far as he knew.

He and Claudia already speculated together that their father and Queen Farah were becoming quite close to one another, after Claudia told him about their breakfast together. Alette’s words only confirmed that something was indeed blooming between the two, which he wanted to support! And tell Claudia about!

But Alette’s words made him pause.

“He’s…not keeping anything dangerous hidden from her, is he?” Soren asked, sounding so unsure of himself. No, whatever it was, it had to have been something for a good reason, he wanted to believe.

“Aah.” That did explain it to Viren. It was something he couldn’t do; Primal magic had always been off limits to him as a human, though hadn’t minded. Even when he possessed a Primal stone, he just…never felt that call to it the way Claudia had, or the way he knew Alette did. Sometimes, he wondered if Samir felt that, but suspected not.

Samir seemed to rarely have his own Primal stone out and about with him.

For Claudia and Alette, it was like a third hand. He swore Alette even considered the Primal Stone before dark magic.

He wasn’t sure how to take Aaravos’s encouragement towards his…relationship with the queen, though. And it showed in the side-eye he gave the elf, wondering if there was somehow a scheme in that. He was weirdly supportive. ‘Then again….’ Aaravos had been fairly supportive in everything. Was it that weird?

Yes.

“I…appreciate your support,” he wasn’t sure what else to say to that, though suspicion still laced his tone. So much about Aaravos was suspicious, and this just made him stranger. “I do wish you would stop being so much of a voyeur about my relationship with Queen Farah, though.”

~***~

Claudia winced at what Farah mentioned as the topic, “Oof. Yeaaaaah,” she agreed, understanding immediately how that could have bothered Viren. Any discussion of his own failure was likely to bring up his temper in that regards, since he lost his friend to those assassins, and now was dealing with quite the mess since the dragon egg was taken, and so much else. All because he hadn’t just destroyed the egg years ago!

Sure, it was a powerful weapon, but it would have been better destroyed. At least, that was her opinion now, but they couldn’t change the past. They could only go forward to right their wrongs.

“He was probably more annoyed to be interrupted from being with you the second time,” Claudia chuckled, “but I doubt he exploded on the High Mage again. He usually doesn’t,” Claudia smiled reassuringly, “soooo maybe they were able to work out their differences!” Admittedly, though Claudia knew of, and had met, Alette, she wasn’t too sure about her own disposition.

Well, besides she had good tastes in names.

Starling was a great name for the weird little bug Viren kept with him.

~***~

‘I can’t tell him.’

How could she break Soren like that? Maybe he would understand – he was a Crownguard, he understood difficult decisions. Possibly wrong decisions – but as a Crownguard, he was also someone who protected monarchs. He would empathize strongly with those who failed, and also, there was the chance he wouldn’t understand the need for this war, and the need of his father’s actions.

Even Alette continued to question it, knowing there was another figure behind it, one she still hadn’t figured out.

Besides which, the risk of Soren spreading it was too much.

“It’s something he’s done,” Alette said, “it’s something I can agree with, albeit…with great reluctance,” she said, “but it’s not something Farah would accept because it’s more personal to her. And I can’t tell you,” at least she could admit that to him, “I promised Viren. It’s not my secret to divulge, it’s his – and he isn’t doing that.”

Lay the responsibility at his feet.

It didn’t make it feel any better.

“I’m sure you’ve had to keep his secrets before, haven’t you?”

Aaravos grinned at the suspicious side-eye Viren sent his way. Maybe the human mage had great reason to not trust him in his open support of his relationship with the queen. Maybe this was nothing more than entertainment for the elf.

Well, he couldn’t quite deny that one. His prison was awfully lonely.

“I can refrain from commenting more on your relationship with her, if you so desire.” His intended effect had already occurred after all. Though he may still tease.

Definitely. He definitely will.

“And once this spell is complete, you’ll have even more time with her,” as Alette would no longer desire to barge in on the two after hearing that they were together. Of course, Aaravos couldn’t stop unintentional interruptions.

Not that he would probably do so if he was actually able to. Viren’s reactions were far too priceless.

~~~

Honestly, Farah had also been annoyed to be interrupted from being with Viren yet again. It seemed like everyone was doing it! Though to be fair, they were both monarchs of their respective kingdoms. A moment alone was a rarity to be treasured.

Which was exactly how she viewed her time with Viren.

Farah chuckled along with Claudia. “Maybe you’re right. Maybe they were able to work things out and resolve their argument without any yelling.” She hated the yelling coming from anyone, but especially from someone who was to be leading a kingdom.

She paused for a moment in thought, before continuing, “I hope you don't mind my getting involved with your father.” She might as well say what it was to Claudia. The girl already figured it out before Farah did! “I know this may be the weirdest time to start getting involved with someone.”

But one would say there was something poetic about finding love in the midst of war. Not that this was love. More of an infatuation.

~~~

Soren only looked more confused at Alette’s attempt to explain what was going on, all while being vague as fuck. What was it his father doing that the Queen of Evenere, the woman Claudia had said he was totally interested in, would not accept?

Soren could admit, his father had done many questionable things in the past. Things he questioned.

And with Alette’s question, Soren recalled one instance of secret keeping for his father, one that was rather recent.. Killing the princes. A request that just wasn’t like his father at all.

So Soren could only respond with a sigh and a nod. “Yeah, I have.” And that secret keeping didn’t make him feel good! His guilt ate up at him to the point where he folded and told Claudia what had happened.

Soren’s demeanor changed abruptly back to his cheerful self. “I believe you can get this whole…situation figured out!” he said with both thumbs up. There was nothing he could do, after all. He didn’t exactly felt comfortable attempting to keep his father and Queen Farah apart from one another without knowing the reason why.

Alette would just have to figure this one out on her own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back