• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Dragon Prince: Divining the Dark [Closed]

Elarion. Farah was familiar with the name, only because of Samir’s obsession with researching the ruined city a few years ago. “I think I may actually be able to help you there. Lord Samir was fascinated with Elarion a few years ago, and I know he added a few books to our restricted section, in addition to what we already had.”

But she didn’t know exactly how much information the books contained on Elarion, or if the name was just briefly mentioned in one random passage. But they certainly had books that delved deep in Xadia’s known history.

“Well, whenever you do decide to let Soren play regent, you have an open invitation to visit there and anywhere else you wish to see in Evenere.” Farah had pleasant mental images of showing him her favorite locations on the palace grounds and around the capital city, as well as some of the many rivers and swamps, both teeming with wildlife, of the kingdom.

Farah remembered Queen Sarai. They had briefly met once, and she recalled the queen’s death not so long after her own personal tragedies. She had sent King Harrow a letter expressing her sorrow and understanding. “I do not know how I compare to her skills, but I do hope I present a challenge for you.”

She took a second to think about if there was a chess set somewhere in the camp with a bite of food. “I want to say there is one somewhere, but I can’t be certain. As you may understand, my mind has been all over the place recently.” She was still grieving her sister. She ascended to the throne of Evenere. She was planning war with three other kingdoms.

It was a miracle she remembered anything.

~~~

“If you prefer that route, then you must be careful to not cause a not-so-accidental death.” A not-so-thinly veiled threat hidden behind a charming smile. He would be able to do anything to her in his current state, but with the right word, with the right persuasion, Viren may be willing to kill the dark mage he mentored if she was seen as a threat to everything they planned.

Aaravos chuckled as Alette continued to try and get information out of him, and realized it was a futile effort. Well, the deeper stuff was. He may just decide to humor her curiosity and give her a little something.

Information like favorite color couldn’t hurt anything.

“I don’t think anyone has ever asked me about my hair before,” he said with a light chuckle. “I don’t see why that should be kept hidden. The secret to my hair is one part magic, and one part dew flowers mashed into a jelly and used on the hair like a conditioner. And yes, I would say it is as soft as it looks.” That, he had been told before. Many times, mostly by past lovers.

“Now it’s your turn,” he said, sitting down in a chair, legs spread. “It’s only fair.” Something simple. “What’s your favorite color?”

No surprise to Viren, really, that Samir was obsessed with Elarion. What dark mage wasn’t? Many went on multiple trips to the ruins, hoping to find something no one else had, some long lost spell, some secret – anything. Viren had gone a few times himself hoping to be special enough to find something more, but he never had. Of course, he knew his family line at least traced itself back to Elarion.

Every human could, in a way – but his line always felt more direct, somehow.

For now, he let his thoughts also imagine spending time in Evenere, seeing its beauty, its wildlife, alongside Queen Farah. Partaking in treats, learning to cook with their ingredients…it was a pleasant thought. It was something nice to consider, after this war. Just as chess in the few hours they stopped on the march would be pleasant.

“I will make sure to have a set packed. When we rest on the march, you have an open invitation to join me for chess. Perhaps I’ll even have dinner made, or at least desserts,” who could resist that? Viren hoped not Farah.

He was, indeed, realizing how easy it was to spend time in her company. And as she indicated how hard it had been to focus on things, he felt that pang of guilt again at knowing he was the cause of that, and could only lower his eyes. “I know I have already expressed it, but I am truly sorry for what befell Queen Fareeda,” the regret would gnaw at him.

He could never tell Farah.

He would just…deal with it. And try to make it up in other ways. Winning the war ought to be enough to make it up to them all, of course, but…well, he wanted to do more for her.

It was a shame the assassin hadn’t just wounded Fareeda, like it had Kasef’s father.

He let his gaze return to her face, and even somewhat surprising himself, he did reach out to lay a hand over one of hers, “When we win this war, she will be able to rest peacefully. And I hope you will also find some peace and stability in your life.”

~***~

‘How could no one ask you about your hair? Did no one care about their hair? How do you even keep it nice in magic prison?’ Apparently there were some ingredients he still had access to. His prison was a nice one, it even let him use magic, still. Not that such a thing could really be stopped, as far as Alette knew. Well – that was a lie, she knew one way to stop magic, and she’d used it against her mentor before.

The ingredients were simple enough. It was literally just one, with magic, magic he wasn’t telling her how to use. She’d probably have to ask more directly, and then, who knew? Not Alette, Aaravos kept things close. He only answered one question.

“Right now, it’s pink,” Alette brushed strands forward, saw they were white, frowned and pushed them back over her shoulder. Nuisance. Of course she wasn’t in her glamour in a dream, why would she be in her glamour? “It changes often, though. Gold is almost always high on the list, though,” likely everything to do with her penchant for the sun stone and all it had come to mean, a color that was no longer a color when she thought of it.

Something that went beyond favorites for the simple aesthetic reason.

She pushed off the desk and went over to where he sat, ignoring the thought that it was a shame this wasn’t a no-consequences dream and he wasn’t real. Still, they’d already clearly decided personal space didn’t exist, so she leaned over and reach for his hair, as if she could actually feel how soft it was. Of course, she couldn’t. She had an idea, and it was still soft, but she did resent the way everything in the dream was just…well, ideas compared to the real thing.

An arrow to the knee would feel like a bug bite or maybe a punch.

Soft hair was a whisper of silk’s memory. “I guess I’m just going to have to take your word for it, but when we meet,” as if it was already decided they would, “I am going to touch your hair to check, and then I want the spell if it is that soft.”

Farah enjoyed the pleasant mental image of them enjoying a quiet evening together, conversing over a game of chess and another home cooked meal, maybe even with dessert. “I will be sure to take you up on that invitation.” And hope that no one, especially Samir or his children, would interrupt.

And they could distract one another from the impending war.

The conversation dampened a bit, as her sister was mentioned. She gave him a sad smile, “Thank you. She was a…wonderful queen to her people, and an amazing sister.” And now Farah had to learn to navigate this world without her.

Viren’s hand rested over hers, and while she swore her breath caught in her throat at the touch, she was also comforted by it as her ongoing grief rose to the surface.

“I truly wonder if I’ll ever be able to find peace. I have endured so much loss in my life, and she has always been there as my rock, even when I screamed at her in my grief.” Fareeda refused to give up on Farah and remained by her side, and it wasn’t until much later when Farah realized how lucky she was for someone like Fareeda in her life.

Farah moved her hand so she could give Viren’s hand a gentle squeeze. “But I know she would want me to find some peace and stability, so I will try and hope.

~~~

As she mentioned her favorite color, Aaravos’ gaze flickered to her hair. He had remembered it being pink, but in her true form, tainted by dark magic, her hair had turned white. He had never seen a human with naturally pink hair, so he wondered if she dyed it often, or if she preferred to keep it pink.

A question for later, perhaps.

Gold he didn’t care for much, as it reminded him too much of the Sunfire elf kingdom.

Aaravos rose a brow in amused curiosity when Alette walked over to where he sat and reached out to touch his hair. Or attempted to. He could feel the barest sensation of that touch, and even though it was nothing, it was more than he had experienced since his imprisonment.

Oh how he longed for the touch of another being.

He chuckled at her declaration. “I shall remember that, but if you want the spell for it, then you will have to give me something in return.” The mischievous grin was back. “I won’t tell you what that thing is now, but I shall at the time.” One hand reached out to skim Alette’s arm. There was that barest sensation of another’s flesh, but it was only a tease.

Aaravos hated it, cursed to this torture until he could escape.

Viren couldn’t understand all the losses that Farah had experienced to the same degree. He knew them. He had lost his parents, but that was more…natural. He had lost his wife, but that wasn’t by death. He had also lost his friend in Sarai, and his best friend in Harrow. Sure, he and Sarai didn’t see eye to eye on everything, but he had treasured her as a friend.

In a way, he was also losing Ezran and Callum, but that was a necessary loss.

“If there is anything I can say, it is that while time does not heal the wounds, the wounds don’t grow. Your experiences do – you do. So what feels like a gaping wound now, will one day seem much smaller in the scheme of everything you have yet to live and to enjoy.” He sighed, a little, “I have not experienced your share of losses, nor do I have siblings. I lost my parents when it was normal to do so, and suffered few other losses that impacted me so deeply as them. I still encounter moments where I think of how my mother, or my father, would have loved something. Where I wish I could share the experiences I’m having, with them.”

But he couldn’t.

“I’ve come to enjoy those moments, to be able to still see them in the present, and bring them forward.” He squeezed her hand, “I know it’s too early for that with Queen Fareeda.” It would be for some time, “but one day, you will smile when you think of showing her present moments, and you imagine how much she would have loved something.”

She might also still cry.

It was a mixed bag, really. Grief always was a difficult thing to navigate, since it came from such a deep well of love. Love, with nowhere to go.

He released his squeeze, but didn’t move his hand. “I’ll be here to listen as well, should you need to talk of her. Or want to,” that was penance enough, wasn’t it? To learn what life he had sacrificed? It would have to be. “You will be able to tell all the stories to fresh ears who won’t groan over hearing it a thousand times.” He couldn’t help the twitch of his lips, “If you may forgive me a few stories of Harrow in between.”

~***~

Alette easily let her fingers glide back to brush the strands of hair she’d reached for, brush them behind his hair, tracing her fingers just along the tip of his ear. No doubt, he had that same issue with the barely-there sensation, but it was something, wasn’t it? More than that, it was still real. He was aware. He would be aware when the dream ended. ‘Will I?’ She didn’t know.

She forgot her dreams, every time.

The thought saddened her, and the smile that flickered wasn’t due to the cost he threatened. Promised? Hard to tell with the smile and the numerous implications in their actions, his own easy touches. Odds were good she’d like the price. Odds were good he’d be happy for her own hair to be as soft – no loss whatsoever.

“Hmmm,” she hummed, as if contemplating it, “Well, so long as you tell me before I buy,” she drew her hand back, considered moving away, back to the desk to sit. Considered finding a nearer place to sit, but the nearest places within reach were his lap, or the floor. Standing was unacceptable.

She wasn’t quite so bold to just drop into his lap, either, and the floor wasn’t quite what she wanted, either. So, she straightened up, waving off the comment with a, “The last person who sold me things without telling me the full price, claimed my primal stone was a fair bargain.” Back to the desk it was, and she hopped back on it, crossing her arms over the leg she folded over the other, “I disagreed.”

It was obvious who won that disagreement. Not that Alette would likely win a disagreement with Aaravos – but she also wouldn’t be buying without disclosures of the full price, in order to avoid those disagreements. “But I’m sure we can come to some satisfying agreement at that time – there’s plenty of things I do enjoy doing for others.” Okay, that was bold enough. “But until then,” poor Aaravos.

‘Poor Aaravos, he is a murderer manipulating Viren, and he is going to manipulate you.’ Her mind tried to be reasonable. She supposed she was still reasonable demanding prices up front? Sure.

“I still don’t know your favorite color.” Terrible segue, but her smile suggested she knew just that, crushing the other statement and implications with something as mundane as a favorite color.

Farah could feel the tears threatening to form at the kind words Viren offered her. They meant so much to her, more than she knew how to express her gratitude to Viren. “Thank you, Viren.” She found herself wanting to wrap her arms around him in a tight embrace as another way of expressing her gratitude. “You have no idea how much it means to me to hear those words.”

She didn’t have a chance to say what was on her mind next. She could hear the Crownguard outside her tent speak up, “It’s not a good idea to go in there right now.”

The familiar voice of her High Mage and longtime friend responded, “Relax, it’s just me. She won’t mind.” The flaps of her tent opened and Samir stepped through. “Farah, I have a qu-” the words died on his lips as he realized that Farah had company.

And said company was a man he disliked, with his hand holding Farah’s. “L-King Viren,” he greeted, not unfriendly, but not with the same warmth saved for his friends.

Farah regretfully removed her hand from Viren and stood up to move closer to Samir. “Whatever it is you have to ask me, I’m certain it can wait until later.”

Samir glanced towards Viren once more, before focusing his attention back on Farah. “I really wanted to discuss it now.”

Farah raised an eyebrow at his behavior. “Is something on fire? Are we about to be attacked?”

Samir deflated. She was using her authority tone, which meant in the moment, she was queen, and he was her High Mage, and it would be best to listen to her. “No, Your Majesty.”

“Then you can come back later and we can discuss your question and your concerns then.” She remained firm.

Samir conceded, “Yes, Your Majesty. I apologize for my interruption.” He wouldn’t say another word, but briefly shot Viren a look, before leaving.

Once he was gone, Farah sighed and turned back to Viren. “I apologize for that. Samir and I are rather close, so he tends to be a bit more…casual about things.” Which, in that moment, had been a terrible thing.

~~~

Oh how Aaravos wished he could better feel that touch along his ear. It was sensitive in all the best ways, but right then, it was just pure torture because he needed more than just a feather-light touch.

How he needed and wanted so much more.

Aaravos chuckled with her stipulation. “Oh no worries, I won’t be asking for your primal stone. I have no need for it.” Not when he mastered all of the primal magic and could create a primal stone of his own. “But maybe I will tell you before you buy.” He wouldn’t make such a promise just yet.

This way was more fun.

He was almost disappointed that she moved away from him again, not that her close to him wasn’t torture. “Oh, I’m confident as well we will come to a very satisfying agreement.” Aarvos let his mischievous grin speak words for him. He certainly wasn’t opposed to a good time after a centuries long drought.

For now he would leave behind the innuendos and address her question. “My favorite color is purple, though I am very partial to silver as well.”

Viren was glad to have touched her, to offer her some hope for her future with pain, in a way that did not seem like a lie. ‘It gets better’ was a truth, but no one wanted to hear it that way, because how did a world without their loved ones get better? He hadn’t had many people around to help him through his grief. Harrow was there, and Harrow tried…but there were some skills Harrow didn’t have.

And his children were…children.

They helped, in their way.

But the moment was not to last, and as Samir came bursting into the tent, Viren greeted him with a single arched brow, and a “High Mage Samir,” as Farah left him, and he drew his hand back into his lap, annoyed by the interruption, but not finding it odd. Did he not do similar things to Harrow? He’d probably interrupted more than one moment without even realizing it because he was caught up in his own excitement at something.

So, when Farah apologized, he decided not to take it personally. Not this time. Samir didn’t know, and he shook his head as he rose to begin gathering together some of the dishes and put them back in the basket, “There’s no need to apologize. I was much the same with King Harrow, I’m sure I burst into more than one important meeting and disregarded the others present to express something I thought needed immediate attention.”

It was a good thing to have friends in these situations.

A good thing Samir wasn’t the mage to find out the truth.

~***~

‘No need for it? Is the star arcanum that powerful?’ Alette considered that possible, yet knew she’d not pass up an opportunity to do other magic if she had the chance. She wouldn’t steal from another mage, otherwise she and Samir, and even she and Viren when he had the sky stone, wouldn’t still be friends. No, no, but if she found a second one, she would keep it just as she did the sun stone.

Which, arguably, she stole from people who didn’t know they had it.

Not the point.

The point was they were clearly on the same vibe here, which was…flattering? Alette didn’t have any delusions that she was just a human, and the fact she wasn’t in her glamour also made it a bit flattering. Then again, he’d seen the glamour. He knew she wouldn’t look like this when they met. This would be covered by layers of magic, because this was the cost of magic. A cost she’d pay again and again, even if it frustrated her.

So the smile easily remained, as he also slipped in to answer the other question about colors. She knew there was no tricking him into any real answers, but she still couldn’t help but ask, “Is the star arcanum that powerful that you don’t worry about other arcanum?” she canted her head, “or is it dark magic?”

She suspected, but the thought of an elf using dark magic was still…weird to her. So far as she knew, primal sources didn’t require ingredients, but he hinted enough with the talk of his hair process. Unless he was somehow using star magic to make his hair shiny.

Farah felt her mood dampen when she saw that Viren rose to begin packing away what he brought. They were having a great moment, and then Samir came and ruined the moment. Not that she was mad at him for it, he didn’t know, but it still frustrated her.

Doesn’t she deserve just one nice moment?

“Thank you for understanding.” She still felt bad, even if he did the very same with King Harrow, an amusing image. She moved to assist Viren with packing up his basket, even if there wasn’t much to it. “Are you leaving to head back? I hope you didn’t feel that Samir’s interruption was a sign for you to leave.”

But she knew that they would have to return to reality eventually, when everyone was up and prepared for the day.

This would be one of their last moments of peace for a while, she feared, and that’s why she found herself wanting Viren to stay, even if it was just for a few more minutes.

~~~

“Star arcanum is indeed very powerful.” The most powerful of all the arcanum. “I would be very surprised if you’ve met another being with a connection to the star arcanum.” There were only a handful of them in Xadia that had access to the star arcanum, and many of them were now dead, like the unicorns.

But he had mastered all of the Primal sources, as well as dark magic. As far as he knew, there was no one else like him.

“Why did you decide to start studying dark magic?” he wondered. The dream had hinted at enough, he felt. She wanted to help people, such a noble cause to learn dark magic, wasn’t it? Humans in their insignificance always wanted to help, until they became too corrupted by the power.

He could already see it in Viren and his daughter. Oh how Claudia had potential.

“You’re the only dark mage in your family, aren’t you?” Many times, a human learnt dark magic because someone close to them knew it, and showed them the beautiful potential. Or perhaps she learned from a passing stranger?

Viren was not surprised that Farah wanted him to stay. She wouldn’t have dismissed Samir if that were the case. He certainly hoped to linger a little longer, as well, and so answered by shaking his head, “No, I’m not leaving just yet, only preparing,” with everything settled in the basket, it’d be easy to just grab it and leave.

He knew time was still shorter than he’d like it to be. “Your next interruption may be one that can’t just be shooed away,” unlikely, but all the same, they both had to prepare for the fact they were in the midst of war preparations, and that was unpredictable, “Or mine may,” if someone came looking for him.

If someone found Ezran, or Opeli….

“Besides which, his interruption gives us a chance to go to happier topics,” not that dwelling on those of loss were bad. They were necessary, but there was also a need to move from them, and come back again later. It was hard, if not impossible, to face the grief all at once, even with another. That’s why it had to be felt over time, coming in waves.

“Though I confess now my mind is a little distracted by the interruption. Samir has been in service to your family for a while, hasn’t he?” and apparently bonded with Farah, and he suspected, he had bonded with the rest of them, too. That wasn’t the real question, “What have you come to understand about dark magic?” And then, quickly, “Call it professional curiosity – I still consider myself more mage than king, though I suppose I’ll fall into the role of king soon enough.”

As if he hadn’t already easily seized power and made it his own.

As if dark magic wasn’t all about that.

~***~

Alette shook her head, agreeing that she hadn’t really met another. That spider was about it; she’d never even heard a whisper of another using it, nor of the primal stone being in the hands of anyone. Certainly, not among the high mages of the human kingdoms, at any rate. She suspected if there was one, it was somewhere in Xadia.

Now, though, she wondered if it might be in Elarion. ‘No.’ Xadian’s would have found that, and pilfered it from the ruins.

Aaravos’s question wasn’t unexpected, even if it wasn’t one most asked easily. Well, not other practitioners. There was an understanding that seemed universal – going to dark magic had been an act of desperation. One may have practiced it even before, but there was a turning point where practice became lifestyle. Viren’s had been his son’s fatal illness, but Alette knew he had a family history of dark magic, one he passed down to Claudia.

“No, my family doesn’t practice,” she answered, “My mom is a veterinarian and my dad is a doctor. They say it should have made me grow up accepting death, I say it should have taught them not to give up, but we have differing views,” she chuckled. Not that she denied death – an old patient deserved as much time as they could get, and Alette would fight for that, as she would fight for anyone, to have a long and comfortable life.

“It was a boy who came in to see my father. He was only four, he had cancer,” they didn’t really understand it, they knew that there were often tumors and lumps, but that seemed the only thing in common in the ways in which it manifested. It was almost always a death sentence, although some had been saved by having the lumps cut out of them. “My dad wouldn’t help at all so I wrote Viren and he sent back exactly what I needed to do. He even sent the ingredients,” the memory was a fond one, bringing a smile as she recalled the day the package arrived by courier.

Viren had likely thought of Soren’s suffering, not the same, but still – a young boy who needed saving. “I did it. It wasn’t…the best introduction. I’d played with it before, but,” she chuckled, “that knocked me right now and I woke up with strands of white hair.” And a very grateful family…along with a very disappointed one. “After that, my parents figured out they weren’t going to stop me, so they hired a tutor, and the rest is history,” a dismissive wave, “they still don’t like it, though.”

Of course not.

So now it was time to gamble. “What about you? Does the rest of your family practice?” She didn’t have it really confirmed, but he was free to tell her, that her guess was wrong.

Farah was relieved to hear that Viren had no intention of leaving just yet, and she showed that relief in her smile. “You are right about that. It’s best to be prepared for another interruption.” If a soldier had interrupted her in the same way Samir had, then she would listen to what they had to say, as they never did that unless it was an emergency.

Samir interrupted her quite often.

She easily accepted the shift in conversation to her High Mage, and she confirmed Viren’s question with a nod. “I’ve known him for a little over twenty years now,” when he first came to them to study under their previous High Mage.

“I admit, I do not understand it that well. I do know it often requires the life of another creature,” which, for most of the spells that she had seen Samir cast, have been small creatures like bugs. “I was hesitant about dark magic for many years because of that, but when Samir used dark magic to save my life, I tried to understand it more.”

How could she not? If other people could also be saved by dark magic, then were some of the sacrifices worth it?

“There’s still a lot I don’t know, but I suppose that’s why I am now a queen instead of a mage,” she chuckled.

~~~

So there weren’t other dark magic practitioners in her family, but given the professions of her parents, it wasn’t surprising that she did follow the path of magic. They were all about helping and healing, and in those moments of feeling helpless about not being about to do anything, one could look for any and all answers to be able to help.

Like Alette did with Viren for the little boy.

“Your family is either very foolish or very stubborn if they still don’t like it, after having been shown the potential for saving lives.” But that’s what he’s noticed about humans. They were indeed both things very often, and usually unappreciative for what they’ve been given. There was the select few that weren’t.

“Both of my parents had access to the star arcanum.” They were his first introduction into the Primal sources, but that had been so long ago, before anyone in Xadia could remember.

He wouldn’t divulge any more information on that topic. “I would prefer it though if you weren’t back to the simpler questions.”

‘Ah.’ Viren hadn’t known Farah’s life needed saving in the past. His brows knit together in concern at this revelation. He ought to be glad Samir was there to help, and he was. “That’s correct, it does,” Viren confirmed, “kind of like how our diet requires life. Even some of our more, ah, natural medicines,” he noted, but knew better than to elaborate.

People took that as defensive, which, it was. Viren could easily get annoyed with the hypocrisy of it all, as he suspected most dark mages did. They heard it endlessly that life shouldn’t be taken coming from people eating roasted chicken, or surviving thanks to medicines that took from creatures.

Not even all dark magic required death. A feather from a moon phoenix was quite potent on its own and the phoenix was allowed to live.

“I am glad Samir was there to save you…and yes,” he chuckled, “I suppose that is why you are a Queen. Now I have to learn to be both. I was just starting to wonder if I should place someone else as high mage of Katolis when this is done, but that’s a problem for another day,” for now, he would indeed be both.

And really, he would always be both.

“Still, should you ever wish to learn more, even just theory, or philosophy, don’t hesitate to ask. I will likely be asking you – and the others,” no probably not, “about this King business as we progress, although I think I did learn a lot from watching Harrow,” plenty about what mistakes not to make, at any rate.

~***~

‘Not a good relationship.’ Alette could see that without Aaravos needing to elaborate. His playfulness was gone. There was a chill in the way he suggested she go back to the simple questions. Secrets, more and more of them, but these secrets she understood. People hid what hurt, because what hurt was a vulnerability. This hurt.

But he didn’t deny dark magic, so she added that to the tally of things she knew about him now, before pushing off the desk once again and walking back over to him, touching his arm, “I’m sorry,” she hadn’t known that was a hard topic, though she could easily guess.

What elf used dark magic, after all?

“You can’t blame me for wanting to get to know you better, though,” she let her touch leave him, and took a seat on the floor near, bringing her knees up and folding her arms over them. “But if we have to keep this simple, I’ll keep it simple, until you’re ready. But I’m not going to hide anything from you, so don’t worry about whatever you ask.”

‘Nothing hidden under the sun.’

“So, how about—”

“-lette.”

“—telling me your fa—”

Her eyes shut in a blink.

The world of the not-quite study vanished, and Alette felt a touch on her shoulder all too real as she was jolted back to reality, startled from the dream to see one of Dieter’s crownguard, and Soren, who had probably had to lead them there. “Wha--?” confusion, concern, as she looked around the library, half-expecting to see Aaravos there somewhere, but...no.

It was that reasoning, that their own diet and medicines took life, that helped Farah understand dark magic better. Samir explained it in that way to her before, and she started to fear it less. Question it at times, she still did, but more so out of curiosity than anything else.

So she personally didn’t see any issues with the use of dark magic, as long as it wasn’t excessively used on frivolous things.

“I’m glad he was there to save me as well,” she chuckled. But at the time, she hadn’t been so happy. In fact, she screamed at him until her voice was hoarse, and all he did in return was envelope Farah in a tight hug, let her release her emotions, and left her until she was ready to talk again.

“With everything you will have to deal with, with or without war, I think appointing a new High Mage would be the smart thing to do, but that is indeed something that can wait a bit before thinking on it further.” Now was hardly the time for that, when he had just assumed the throne, and when they would be setting on Xadia soon.

And so far, Viren seemed to be doing a decent job of both.

“Please ask me any questions you may have about being a king. I may have only been a queen myself for a short time, but my whole life growing up was surrounded by the monarchy. It’s something I’m very intimate with.” And when it was just her and her sister left, she started learning a lot more out of necessity.

“I do have one question for you about dark magic.” Farah sat back down. “What made you want to start studying dark magic?”

~~~

Again a feather-light touch, another tease that was nothing more than pure torture.

And with a blink, the dream dissipated as Alette woke up. Aaravos returned to his present, a comfortable prison in an unknown location.

She was about to ask about his father, he could tell. A question he wouldn’t have answered, but it was still annoying to have their conversation ended so abruptly. It was typical of dreams, but that didn’t make it any less frustrating.

But he’ll see her soon enough, that he knew. And just maybe, soon she'll even be able to see him.

~~~

Soren breathed a sigh of relief when Alette woke up. “Oh, phew. I was beginning to think something bad had happened to you, like being attacked in the middle of the night, or that maybe, a book fell on your head too hard.”

“But you just,” he glanced around the desk at the contents, “fell asleep while reading. Which, I can totally get. Reading was never my thing.”

It was, indeed, one of those things Viren weighed. He supposed it wouldn’t be too bad to appoint Claudia, but he wasn’t sure she was ready for that. She was still so young, and there were plenty of other mages in the world. He didn’t think they were necessarily better than Claudia, but age brought a certain maturity to the use, even if the skill was lesser.

So he nodded at her advice, taking it into consideration even if it was to be left for later, as they both knew.

“I shall take that as professional advice and make sure to contemplate it more seriously, when I have that time to begin to arrange Katolis,” he noted, and raised his brows as she indicated she had one more question – which was about the origins of his own dark magic, “Ah.” Not the happiest of stories, he supposed.

Not the worst.

“My family – my mother, mostly – was a practitioner. My father dabbled, but the way one dabbles at fishing without learning what sort of weather a fish likes, or even what season,” was that a good example? He wasn’t sure. He didn’t fish. But he still knew when to acquire fish he wanted for his magic, and weather and season were important factors in this that he assumed the casual fisherman didn’t know.

His father used dark magic when he already had what he needed, like an afterthought.

“I dabbled, as well, until my son…became ill. Fatally so,” he admitted, “the doctors couldn’t determine what was wrong with him, but his fever refused to break, and nothing he ate stayed down,” he was fading so fast, Viren had no choice but to act fast as well. “I had to save him.” What other choice did a father have?

Even if it ruined his marriage. Even if that was the straw that broke his appearance forever, turning him into a monster in the eyes of so many. Harrow had managed to accept it, he had seen through the dark veins, but he never quite forgot the way Harrow looked at him the first time he saw the change, either.

“After that, I took to it more professionally. It set in what I could do it – to help so many others, and I’m glad that I did. Without it, I wouldn’t have been able to save Duren from famine,” even if Duren was now being a terrible ally.

~***~

Alette’s vision focused on Soren as he talked, about being attacked in the night, and then about a book falling on her head. It was enough to get a sleepy laugh and she shook her head to try and clear it, “No, no, I’m fine, was just…really tired, I guess,” she yawned and stood up, a bit unsteady. She definitely needed to eat. And stretch.

That position wasn’t exactly comfortable.

The aches came not long after standing, and she stretched, groaning, “You have to stop doing this, High Mage,” the captain of the Crownguard sounded absolutely exasperated with her, “You were supposed to be back at camp, by 7pm for your training session.”

“I’m sorry, Captain,” she wasn’t, though she did a good job at faking it by inclining her head in an embarrassed bow, “I lost track of time – I’ll make it up today,” she would not, she would get out of this somehow, damnit. “But I need to finish these books.”

Captain Trisha did not look impressed, “You could not finish these books in a day and a half,” she turned her sharp gaze to Soren, “She can borrow these books from Katolis, can she not? We will return them on our march back from Xadia.”

‘What.’

“Then you can read them at your leisure, after practice.”

Alette actually tried to look at Soren to tell him to deny this, so she could stay longer in the library and read. With a nice breakfast. And peace, and quiet, and no more unnecessary bruises and worse aches.

Viren came from a family that used magic, but his mother was the bigger magic user. Farah was honestly surprised that he didn’t really use magic all that much until circumstances forced him to change.

His deathly ill son.

Farah frowned at the image of a young Soren, normally so full of life and humor, laying still in bed, on the brink of death. “I’m sorry to hear that happened. I can imagine the agony you were in while you made that decision.” A parent watching his young child dying before his very eyes.

But it had been the start of a successful career. “I do remember hearing about what happened, about how Katolis and Duren banded together to take down a magma titan and saved the kingdom of Duran from a terrible famine.” But at the cost of three queens. Was the cost worth it?

If presented with the choice to die in order to save her people, Farah would do it without hesitation.

“And hopefully now you’ll be able to save even more.” But she did no doubt that further sacrifice would be required to save their kingdoms, largely at the cost of the lives of their soldiers.

~~~

Soren grinned as he watched Del Bar’s Crownguard attempt to get her to stop falling asleep in libraries, apparently a common occurrence for her, and get back to camp for training. It reminded him of his family. How many times did he find either his dad or Claudia asleep in the library after having stayed there the entire night?

Maybe it was a mage thing. He didn’t understand why anyone would want to stay in libraries that long.

Upon being asked a question by Captain Trisha, Soren stumbled at first. “Oh, um…I don’t see why not!” They would know where the books were at all times, and they would be returned to the library, safe and sound, so it was okay, right? They were just books!

Soren definitely did not understand the look Alette was trying to send him. If anything, he thought that she was thinking he would deny her the opportunity to bring the books along. “And now you don’t have to worry about coming all the way back to the library every time you want to read!” Soren definitely thought this was what she wanted.

So many of his actions with dark magic, had led to great results, but also terrible tragedies. The dissolution of his marriage was one, and then the loss of three queens, including Sarai, was another. Yet, he still considered the payoffs worth it, every time. He was sure the people of Katolis and Duran did, as well. The Queens were, of course, beloved for their heroics.

It was a tragedy, because they were successful.

The magic worked.

“Yes,” he agreed with the sentiment, “that is the goal, after all – to save everyone.” Xadia had tried to wipe out humanity before, and they were going to try again once they had their dragon prince back, once he grew to adulthood. So, Viren simply wouldn’t allow that to happen.

“Hopefully, without too much sacrifice,” though he knew there would be some. “We’ve all suffered…more than enough.” The magma titan incident felt that long ago, though he knew Ezran was but an infant – and then revenge on Thunder had only been a few years ago, and they had lost good men in that venture, too.

But at least, it let him know where they were going.

“But our dead will be honored, when all is said and done.” In some way, they would carry on, remembered as the heroes who saved humanity.

The conversation had shifted back to those serious notes, and he closed the basket with a sigh, “And there are still arrangements I need to make for them,” he gave a wane smile to her as he looked back up, “but I have appreciated this time with you, Farah.”

~***~

‘Traitor.’ Alette gave Soren a rueful glare as he agreed she could check out all the books. There went her plan to enjoy the day in the library reading about elves and seeking Aaravos—

‘Aaravos!’ She remembered! She never remembered dreams, but this one, she remembered! Was it real? Or was her mind just playing tricks on her. Both seemed likely, the only real way she’d know would be to talk to Aaravos in reality, but that seemed…rather unlikely that day, thanks to Trisha. ‘Damnit.’

Well, her time would come.

“Thank you, Soren,” Trisha said, “Would you mind helping us with these books? There seem to be a lot and our camp isn’t exactly that close.” Alette began to gather some of them up herself, and again hoped Soren wouldn’t help, but doubted it. He was going to make sure she got back to camp right on time for her early morning training, the cruel bastard.

He was probably none of these things, but she couldn’t help but think that anyways.

‘At least I get the books for a while.’

Farah allowed a sad smile to grace her features as the topic transitioned into a somber one, with talks of heroic sacrifices for the greater good. She would make sure that any of her soldiers who died fighting for the cause would be honored with the highest regards, and their families would receive just compensation.

Another headache to try and figure out before they left, in case something happened to her in this war.

And apparently Viren had much to do as well, as he announced his intention to leave. It wasn’t what she wanted, as she found herself enjoying their conversation immensely, but there was much to be done. They would have private conversations again in the near future, and she would look forward to them.

Farah stood up to walk Viren out of her tent. “I have enjoyed our time together as well, and I look forward to our future ones. And I’m holding you to that invitation of chess with dinner or dessert,” she said with a wink.

~~~

Soren continued to remain oblivious to the glare Alette gave him. He was doing his job in making sure people were where they were supposed to be, which was exceedingly important right before leaving for Xadia.

How could anyone be mad at him for doing a good job?

And so at the opportunity to help even further, Soren jumped at the chance with a wide grin. “Of course!” He grabbed several of the books, far more than Alette, as the collective weight did not bother him as much. Or at all.

“Onwards!” he exclaimed, as he realized, he didn’t know the direction of Del Bar’s camp.

Alette begrudgingly followed with two books, while Trisha and Soren balanced the others. Well, at least she’d have something for Samir somewhere in these books. Hopefully. She’d used the Sun Stone to help her find the books she wanted, after the librarians had left, and it lit up a few books in gold, so something had to be in them!

Of course, now she forgot which ones lit up gold, and which ones the librarians handed her.

A problem for later.

The Del Bar camp was the furthest, due to arriving in Katolis proper last thanks to Alette’s advice. They had to go by the Evenere Camp on the way, and it seemed there was a distraction for Soren there. “Huh? Dad?” Alette lifted on her tiptoes to see a bit clearer around the two she was walking with, and did indeed see Viren outside of a tent in the Evenere camp. With Farah.

‘Damnit Viren.’

She wanted to throw a book at his head, and considered it, before Soren rushed by, accidentally bumping her shoulder. “Whoops! Sorry, ah, these books are hard to see around – hey, hold these a second!” he dropped a pile of books into the rather unsuspecting and confused hands of a scarred guard as he rushed over to where his father was.

Trisha sighed and gave the new book-carrying guard a pointed look as if he’d just been given a command by being given the books. “Come along then. They’ll be fine with Soren there.”

Alette groaned. No break, it seemed, at the Evenere camp to let Soren come back and finish his job.

Soren, meanwhile, jogged right up to Viren, “Sorry! I didn’t realize you were going to be traveling into one of the other camps or I would have – breakfast?” he recognized the basket his father held, “aww, you took breakfast to the morning meeting of monarchs?” as if this were not, in fact, a private meeting of just Viren and Farah, and clearly the other monarchs must have been here.

Viren turned a shade of red, both embarrassed and a bit flustered to be caught, even if Soren didn’t…quite grasp the situation. “Er. Well. Yes. I brought breakfast to discuss some matters,” matters of no consequence but that was far from the point, and not something Soren needed to realize anytime soon, “There was no need to disturb you and Claudia from your own meal so early, Farah’s own crownguard has been more than helpful in keeping us safe.”

Er.

Well.

Maybe that was a bit too much to say as it looked like one was being shanghai’d into carrying books for Alette? Viren couldn’t help but squint a bit at that. “Soren, were you taking books from the library?”

“Noooo, Alette was! I would never!” He said cheerfully, then, “She can, right? I assumed that’d be okay, but I didn’t check which books – are there some that she can’t take? I can go look—”

Viren placed his fingers against his temple, “No, no, it’s fine, I trust her,” debatable, but…considering what she was looking into, it was fine. For now.

Farah was amused by Soren’s thoughts on why Viren had the basket. She wouldn’t correct him, even as she saw Viren’s face flush in the embarrassment of being caught. It was honestly adorable.

And she completely ignored the slight flushing of her cheeks.

Instead of thinking about that, she looked over at her poor Crownguard leader, Yaseen, who had been roped into carrying library books for Alette. Probably the only time he’s carried that many books, she thought fondly.

She loved Yaseen, but he certainly didn’t share her passion for reading.

Farah chuckled as she turned back to Soren. “It’s nice to meet you, Soren,” she greeted with a nod of her head. They had been in the same room before, and she had been down in the dungeon visiting Viren when they had first seen each other, but she didn’t know if he remembered her there. “I have heard great things about you.”

Samir was stuck in his thoughts over seeing Viren and Farah together, alone in her tent, holding hands, and the implications it held. Were they becoming a thing? Was Viren manipulating Farah to get something from her?

He wouldn’t be surprised by the latter. In Samir’s eyes, Viren has always been motivated by his own self-interests. And the last thing he wanted to see was Farah’s heart broken yet again.

And oh, he just needed someone to vent to. Someone who understood Viren and could understand where Samir was coming from. Or maybe someone who could talk him down, make him see that what was happening wasn’t exactly what he thinks it is.

As if the universe heard him, Samir saw Alette, carrying a stack of books. Oh, she would work beautifully. Who else knew Viren better than she did? And as he walked over to where she was, it seemed that Yaseen had also been roped into helping with the books.

Oh, that was funny.

“Alette!” he greeted, followed by a polite nod at Trisha and Yaseen. “Exactly who I was looking for. I have…important matters regarding our entrance into Xadia that I need to discuss with you.” She looked like she didn’t want to be there. Trisha looked a little intimidating. Samir could guess she wanted to get away, and he didn’t know why, but he needed to speak with her. She would be the only person at this camp currently he could vent to, and judging by the stacks of books, he could help her out with her research in return.

“Oh – yes! Good to meet you again, Queen Farah,” Soren was quick to recall he was, in fact, in the presence of royalty and he should bow, so he did that, beaming as he straightened up. “You have?” he was curious what had been said, but supposed he shouldn’t just ask. “I mean, of course you have!”

He did not notice Viren’s look of utter exasperation with him.

“No one here can do as many weighted lunges as me, and that’s just one of my many records!”

“It’s 100.” Viren said dryly.

“No—100 is normal, but when I push it, I can get to 150!”

Which was, actually, impressive, since this was all at once with no rest, and the weight was far from light. Viren’s look didn’t express that he was impressed, though. “Oh, I, uh, I haven’t heard much about you yet, Queen Farah. But I’m sure there are a lot of great things about you, too!” His eyes were all but pleading for her to tell him a great thing so he could be enthusiastic about it.

And not hog the spotlight.

Claudia reminded him that was rude, even if he was fantastic.

~***~

Trisha did not offer Samir a warm look, though it wasn’t rude. She didn’t know him, but didn’t like his approach since it probably meant pulling Alette away. As if on cue, he said he had important matters to discuss with her, and Trisha all but growled out, “I am sure these matters can wait.”

“Nooo – they involve this,” Alette lifted one book, and shoved the other into Samir’s hands, because convincing? Right?

“And what, exactly, is all this about, High Mage?” there was derision dripping from every syllable.

“Do you know anything about Startouch Elves, Trisha?” Alette asked with an innocent flutter.

“I haven’t even heard of them,” Trisha answered dully.

“Exactly! And yet we’re going into Xadia, and almost no one knows anything about them. We know about Sunfire elves, Moonshadow elves, Earthblood elves, we know what to expect, but nothing about Startouch elves! We have to prepare for such an encounter.” Trisha’s look remained exasperated, but it flicked to Samir.

“Fine.” She spoke through gritted teeth. “You can meet in our camp, and when you are quite done we will get back on track.”

Alette grinned, “Why thank you~,” she gave Samir a very meaningful look as she said, in a hushed voice, “She is trying to kill me.” She meant that almost sincerely, before slipping into the false pitched, enthusiastic, “So what did you find out?” he could make shit up for all she cared, but they had to give the illusion they were starting in on the business or Trisha would cancel all of this.

When they got back to her tent, they could actually discuss whatever was bothering him.

Trisha just sighed as she heard the conspiratorial whispering. She didn’t believe this at all, but she didn’t know enough to challenge it. “Is your mage this difficult about learning to fight?” she opted to ask Rasheen, since his mage was right there, and she assumed was also difficult since he was helping Alette. Then again, Evenere didn’t have a robust warrior culture so…he probably got away with it.

Farah giggled over Soren’s enthusiasm. It was just too adorable. “That is very impressive, but I think the head of my Crownguard, Yaseen, has you beat.” She didn’t actually know that for sure, but he certainly was strong.

And no longer within sight.

Since she last saw him carrying a stack of books for Alette, Farah assumed he got roped into helping deliver them to Del Bar’s camp for her. Oh well, she didn’t foresee any immediate danger in Evenere’s camp.

“And while your weighted lunges may be impressive, can you shoot a moving object over a hundred meters away with a bow and arrow, while on horseback?” she asked with a wink. Farah had caught on that Soren wanted her to tell him something about herself, and since she gathered that he was a very physically active person, she tried to relate to him in another physically active activity.

She knew how these Crownguards liked to talk.

~~~

Samir didn’t know what to think of Trisha. She didn’t exactly seem like the nicest person, but those Crownguard types could either be the sweetest idiots, or the biggest bitches with no humor.

He was leaning towards the latter for her.

But Samir played along with the lie-not-lie Alette crafted as the reason they needed to meet and discuss important matters. He could gather she needed help getting out of something, and Trisha was a bit intimidating anyways.

The whispered plea said enough.

Clearing his throat, Samir played along, “I’ve learned that the Startouch elves are the most feared and respected of all the elves,” not exactly a complete lie, from the readings he did find. “They harness magic from the very stars themselves, so I would bet they are also very powerful,” which had been a guess based on their name and the primal sources associated with the other elves.

Yaseen looked a little startled as Trisha addressed him, but he quickly shook that down. He shook his head, “Lord Samir? Oh no, he doesn’t fight at all. Well, at least he doesn’t fight with his fists or swords. That magic of his is enough to scare away anyone who tries to attack him.” Yaseen hadn’t seen it much, but he heard stories. And if he was employed by Queen Farah to be her High Mage, he had to be powerful, right?

“Yaseen? No way!” Soren couldn’t believe that, and looked around – but saw the one he suspected to be Yaseen heading off with books. He made a note to track him down and challenge him before they all headed off to Xadia. It’d be unfair to both of them if he challenged them when they rested at camp in the evenings.

He quickly turned his attention back to Farah as she offered him a feat.

He was willing enough to shake his head, “No,” he agreed, “I can shoot a ballista pretty well, but you usually don’t need too much accuracy for those since the targets are usually large,” he shifted his weight, “but bows? Crossbows? Not my forte,” he grinned, “I can’t wait to see how skilled you are at it, though! Archers are an absolute requirement in these engagements!”

“Yes, they are,” Viren agreed, “We have plans to utilize Evenere’s forces, and our own mix of archers in the other armies, effectively. I will go over some of the plans with you as we get closer to putting any of them in use, there are still some factors in Xadia regarding the environment that I am looking into taking into account.”

“We really need to take into account dragon fire, and dragon strength,” Soren ticked off, holding up his fingers, “I got paralyzed by a dragon, so, they’re pretty strong.” Viren lifted his brows.

This, he hadn’t heard, “Paralyzed? You seem—”

“Claudia,” he interrupted, and Viren relaxed, but didn’t look relieved.

‘That explains….’ Well, the additional white hairs. So far she’d been spared the worst of the corruptions, but he worried, all the same. That should be him sacrificing, not her.

“I see. She hadn’t told me,” nor had Soren. “Well. I will make some notes to consider ways to manage that. Thank you, Soren.”

Soren nodded, “I don’t want that happening to anyone else – though, it might have been nice to be a poet.”

Viren did not look amused.

“I can wait until I’m old for that, though. I’m gonna go catch up with Yaseen! Nice to meet you, Your Grace!” he said, before turning to sprint off after Yaseen, causing Viren to sigh, and palm his face.

“I love him,” he confessed, “but I do not understand him.”

~***~

Apparently, Samir did not fight. Trisha was disappointed, and let it be known with a sigh as she heard them discussing things about these Startouch elves, none of which sounded…well…new, and she didn’t know anything to start with. Of course Startouch would draw power from the stars! It was in the names of every single elf! Sunfire, Earthblood, Moonshadow – they weren’t very creative.

Probably didn’t need to be when you had magic.

Which, seemed to be what others thought, too. She sighed, “You ought to convince him. Magic won’t always save them, especially going up against magical foes.” Who didn’t use dark magic, but primal. She understood that meant no ingredients, so she assumed it also meant they were faster at casting.

That would be problematic.

They reached Del Bar’s camp without incident, and Trisha did lead on to the High Mage’s tent, where the books were allowed to be dropped off. “I’ll see you soon, High Mage,” Trisha made it sound like a threat, before she would exit, gesturing the Captain of Evenere’s guard out, as well.

Alette watched their shadow for a few seconds under the flap until it was gone, before she let out an exhale and sat down on her bed. “King Dieter decided all of his council has to be able to fight,” she explained, wincing, “he agreed I had to learn, too, and assigned Trisha to teach me,” which, wasn’t working well, mostly because of Alette, “I think she just enjoys bruising me,” a sigh, and she waved it off, “but enough of that,” she had a delay.

That would suffice for now, “What’s bothering you?”

Farah was shocked to hear that Soren had been paralyzed by a dragon before, and apparently, Viren was just as surprised to hear that story. Fortunately, Claudia was able to save him. Just another reason why Farah didn’t see dark magic as evil, if it could make that sweet boy walk again. He certainly didn’t deserve a lifetime of being bed bound.

She smiled a genuine smile at Soren as he left to go catch up with Yaseen. “Oh, he’s such a sweet boy.” In many ways, Soren reminded her of her own brother, now long gone.

“You don’t always have to understand them, but I think the important thing is if you try to understand. I can tell he loves and adores you very much.” He wanted nothing but to impress and make his father proud.

It was sweet and a little sad, really. Did Viren not show his son enough love? Viren didn’t seem like the type to show a lot of outwardly affection, and Soren seemed like he needed to hear those words and see the affection.

~~~

No, Samir didn’t quite care for Trisha. She seemed like she never smiled in her life, and he hated those people.

And she was intent on torturing Alette with fighting lessons, to which Samir chuckled. “Oh poor Alette, actually doing physical labor.” And he didn’t envy her at all. He would hate being in her shoes. His powers were good enough for defense!

When prompted to ask about what was bothering him, Samir let out a sigh and sat down in a chair near the bed. “It’s that new king of Katolis,” he said with bitter words. “I went to ask Farah a few questions, and I saw Farah and Viren together, and alone, in her tent.” And the sight of the two so close still made him nauseated.

Out of all the mages and all the monarchs, why did Farah invite him into her tent so early in the morning? Did they spend the night together?

That just made everything so much worse.

“They were even holding hands before I interrupted them, so this was definitely not an innocent discussion of war strategies.”

Sweet, yes.

Sweet and impossible.

Adoring? Viren scoffed and shook his head at the thought. He knew his son loved him, of course, but adored? He took to nothing Viren was interested in and didn’t listen well at all. Still, he knew outright denying that would be in poor tastes, so he let the scoff twist to an amused grin, if not somewhat bitter, “He has a strange way of showing it.”

It wasn’t like he ever wanted to listen about magic.

Or history.

Or cooking.

Anything at all they could have shared and bonded over, Soren just…wasn’t interested in. He was determined to be different in every way. “But I know he loves me in his way, too,” that was family, wasn’t it? Even his parents had loved each other, though their common interests were few. “Unfortunately, I do still need to be getting on my way. If Soren returns with Yaseen, make sure to send him back when he’s done with his little challenge,” Viren couldn’t help but roll his eyes.

If Soren lost he’d be doing lunges endlessly.

If he won, he’d be insufferable.

All problems for later.

~***~

Despite Samir empathizing, Alette still stuck her tongue out at the way he chose to empathize, which seemed like mockery. It probably was, a bit. He had the enviable position of not doing physical labor. Why couldn’t she be the mage of Evenere? ‘Maybe I can be the mage of Katolis.’ Viren would need a new one, wouldn’t he?

Maybe one less likely to blackmail him but…still.

Also one less likely to rat on him, and make another mage conspire against him, but she didn’t like Viren with Farah for reasons she couldn’t tell Samir – but Samir didn’t like Viren, so that was a non-issue. “I hate to say it, Samir, but I know Viren was flirting with Farah yesterday, too.” Alette said.

How was irrelevant, the point was that Viren had an interest in Farah and they could do something about it! Maybe. Samir could. Alette wasn’t getting her hands dirty. “I guess Farah’s pretty receptive if they were holding hands. Grief does that, though. I’m sure once she gets her head on right, she’ll be able to dismiss this.”

Maybe.

There was enough doubt. “Or maybe they’ll both find love~,” she couldn’t be all against it. She was Viren’s friend. “It’d be nice after all Viren’s loss, and all Farah’s lost, to find something in each other….”

Except no it wouldn’t, because Viren killed Fareeda.

Farah frowned at the way Viren reacted to his son, but she would remain silent about it as Viren left to go back to the castle. While the Viren she had been talking to seemed sweet and complex, there was an intense layer he hadn’t quite shown her yet, but she had gotten hints of it.

Like in the throne room, when he assumed the throne against the disapproving cries of Opeli.

She would wait to form further opinions on him when she had the chance to talk to him again.

Farah walked around camp, somewhat looking to see where Samir and Yaseen wandered off to, but she wasn’t too concerned with them. She was safe in the camp, and anything Samir needed to talk to her about could wait until later. She did stop and greeted those who bid her good morning, as the camp came alive in the morning.

There was a girl, an older teenager, that Farah hadn’t seen at the camp before wandering around, looking a little lost. As she walked up to her, she remembered where she had seen her before: in the throne room, after Viren got the crown.

It was Claudia, his daughter. Maybe she was there looking for him? Or her brother?

“Hello, Claudia,” Farah greeted as she stepped up to the girl. “Can I help you with something?”

~~~

Samir groaned at the confirmation Alette gave him. For some reason, Viren decided to pursue Farah, and Farah was actually positively responding to his attention. But why? The man was conceited and arrogant, and he didn’t exactly hide it.

He scrunched his nose as Alette said they may both find love. He certainly hoped not! He wanted to spare Farah from Viren, and if they became a thing, that would subject Samir to seeing more of Viren.

Wouldn’t that be lovely.

But at the mention of her grief and loss, Samir lowered his eyes. He had been there through all that Farah had lost in her life, and he knew that losing Fareeda would unlock feelings she had long to try and forget.

It pained him to think that if somehow, Viren actually gave Farah some happiness, then he would need to make himself accept this relationship. “Kind of an odd time to begin flirting with someone,” he couldn’t help but to think, sitting up and leaning back against the chair.

“I didn’t even know he was capable of loving someone else.” Well, he did have his children, and even Samir wouldn’t think of him as that much of a monster that he would neglect his children.

Soren was supposed to find their father and remind him he had duties at the castle to tend with the army, now that they had their numbers in order. Claudia thought that would be easy enough to do, but some time had passed and neither returned. So, of course, she had to try and find the both of them.

She was unaware that Soren got roped into helping find Alette, and then carry books, but she did hear some conversation about Viren in the Evenere camp, so she made her way there, hoping to find both of them. She asked around, but so far everyone she spoke to hadn’t seen them.

She was startled by someone calling out to her, and quickly turned around. A bright smile bloomed on her lips as she saw who it was, “Queen Farah!” and then, quickly, she gave a curtsy, before straightening up, “I’m not sure, but maybe. I’m looking for my dad and brother. See, I sent Soren to find him,” she shifted weight, “buuuut it’s been a while now and he’s not back.” Nor was Viren.

“My dad has some things to do with our army now that we have the final count,” Claudia explained. “I heard some people talking about him in Evenere’s camp. Is he here? Or Soren?” Either one were useful right now.

~***~

Of course, Alette couldn’t let Samir’s comment go without a response, and she flicked his arm, “Hey, Viren can love others, and he’s always been nice to me,” she reminded, and though there was some hint of a lecture in her tone, there was enough of a teasing smile to show she wasn’t going to really get into it.

She knew Samir’s opinions.

He knew hers.

They could find a balance here. “He was really broken up when Sarai died, and it’s looking like Harrow’s loss has also pretty well fucked him up, too.” If this was all for revenge, trusting Aaravos, and usurping the throne of Katolis, then he had loved Harrow, and even Sarai, deeply, and was struggling with it. Struggling so much he didn’t let Ezran ascended, despite being Harrow’s son.

Revenge overtook love.

“That said, I don’t really think this is good for either of them, and not just because I’d have to deal with you venting every single day over it,” she added, “but that is a major part of it,” how could she resist? “I just don’t think relationships formed like this are great, and they’re both just going to end up heartbroken again.”

Relationships formed in hot moments didn’t seem to have lasting potential once that fire went out. Then what? She wasn’t sure Farah and Viren were compatible enough. Not that she knew Farah, but she knew what Viren had done and that was enough.

Farah smiled at Viren’s youngest child. She still couldn’t quite see the resemblance in his kids, from looks to personalities. Maybe they took after their mother more?

Contemplation for another time.

Fortunately for Claudia, both questions were ones she could answer. Farah nodded, “I think you may actually just missed V-King Viren. He departed to return to the castle not that long ago. As for Soren, I believed he went to go hunt down the head of my Crownguard, Yaseen, for a lunging competition.” She chuckled and shook her head.

She still found the whole situation adorable in its own way.

“I know which way they went. I can lead you over there,” Farah leaned closer, as if about to whisper a secret, and lowered her voice, “if you tell me the secret behind your hot morning brown potion.” Farah thought about not mentioning it at all, as it could lead to questions, but she could hardly pass up the opportunity to ask Claudia about it.

~~~

Samir rolled his eyes with a hint of a smile on his face. Okay, sure, maybe there was a small side of Viren that was capable of loving someone else. He had two children that loved him, and Alette saw something in him. He just couldn’t understand why.

And who was he to judge how much someone’s loss affected them?

He saw how the loss of her entire family affected Farah over the years. He lost friends with each one, but his loss couldn’t compare to hers. And he heard how close Viren was to the Katolis royal family.

Samir was already devastated by Fareeda’s death. How would he react if Farah died?

He chuckled and shook his head at Alette’s light teasing. Yes, she would have to endure his venting everyday if the two actually became a couple, because he couldn’t vent in front of Farah. “They will, and the last thing I want to see is Farah heartbroken after a lifetime of it.” Viren…he couldn’t really bring himself to care.

“So what do we do? Do we try and be subtle about making sure this never happens? Do we just let things happen and let them self-implode?” Neither option sounded great. “Farah is such a hopeless romantic, that if she falls for him, she will fall hard and fast.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back