• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Dragon Prince: Divining the Dark [Closed]

“Oh, darn!” Claudia was upset she had just missed her father, and she sighed at it, but was glad he was at least heading back. That was all she really wanted. That left Soren, though it seemed Farah had an answer for that, as well. One that caused Claudia to give a long-suffering sigh, even if it was full of love.

“He still hasn’t learned squats are the superior exercise!” Not that she could do anywhere near as many as Soren could, but she did enough! And doing less squats did plenty for her than all of his lunges did for him. She put a hand on her hip, but the attitude was only directed at Soren, not Farah, and it dropped as Farah agreed to show her where Soren was.

“Thank—” and there was a catch.

A curious catch.

Claudia’s face screwed up in confusion and she stepped back, “Waaaaiiiit a second, how did you try my hot brown morning potion? I’ve never given it—” and it dawned on her with her eyes widening, that her father had brought some with him, along with breakfast, and definitely not enough for Dieter and Kasef.

There was no talk of the other monarchs in the camp, anyways.

“Oh!” she touched her own nose, that sign she suddenly understood something, though no one else ever really understood her antics, and she didn’t expect Farah to have any idea of it, either.

But wait – how should she feel about this? At first there was elated glee and mischief, but then…what was her father doing? Was she looking at this wrong? Possibly, but also, probably not. Viren didn’t cook for people he didn’t like. At all. And definitely not his pancakes. “Hooow about,” she drew it out with a wicked grin, “I don’t tell Soren that you and dad were eating breakfast together alone and you take me to him anyways?”

~***~

Alette knew better than to press Samir to feel empathy for Viren and a heartbreak, as well. She could handle that empathy on her own, but devising ways to keep this from anything serious was another problem.

She didn’t know Farah. She did know Viren, but she didn’t really know his love life, and she hummed, “As far as I know, Viren never really pursued anyone after Lissa,” nothing serious, anyways, or it might have slipped in one of his letters, somehow. She didn’t recall any names, and she leaned back, looking up at the ceiling of her tent.

If Farah was hopeless, it might already be too late.

And if Viren didn’t pursue, but was finally pursuing? That spelled bad news, too.

“We obviously can’t let it go if we want them to avoid heartbreak, sooooo,” she straightened back up, leaned forward, “We have to figure out ways to keep them apart, sabotage it, and otherwise make the other person unappealing,” Alette said, holding up a finger, “which means you have to be willing to embarrass your Queen, and I just have to embarrass Viren.”

Which was the easier job. She wasn’t risking a job.

“Also Farah’s more likely to listen to you then Viren is to listen to me, so you should…maybe bring up some of his not so good history?” he had it. They all had it. “Try to make her see the things you don’t like in his personality, or things you know she doesn’t like in others. Maybe that’ll start to break down the crush before it goes too far.”

What could she do about Farah? Little. Viren knew the reason she’d be standing between them, and she couldn’t use it as direct blackmail in this situation. She didn’t want that accidental death. That was a card only to draw on something huge. Used for petty acts, she’d be discarded. “I can…I can probably light Viren up so she can see his temper, but you’ll owe me for that.”

Much as she liked Viren, she knew his temper. Samir knew his temper. Facing it was never fun.

Farah wouldn’t weigh in on the debate between lunges or squats being the superior exercise, though she would voice that squats are definitely superior. They gave her a nice ass after all.

For a split second, Farah thought she got away with her deal for showing Claudia where Soren was, but the young mage caught on quickly. Very quickly.

She stared wide-eyed at Claudia’s unique gesture as she struggled to understand what was going through her head. Oh, she was definitely smarter than Soren. Claudia had obviously inherited Viren’s intelligence.

Not that Soren wasn’t intelligent in his own way. He had his own area of expertise.

Oh, she didn’t like that wicked grin at all. Farah sighed, before giving Claudia a soft smile. “You are your father’s daughter.” She wasn’t quite ready for Soren to know what was going on…if anything was truly going on. He seemed like the type to tell everyone, and they didn’t need that right now. It would be too distracting.

“Alright, come on. I’ll show you where I think he went.” It was still just a guess, after all. She knew he went in the direction of Del Bar’s camp, and it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone like Soren. “But I suppose there’s no way I could get that recipe from you?”

~~~

Samir leaned forward, resting his arms on his thighs. He didn’t like the idea of embarrassing Farah in any capacity, but if he could manage it in just the vicinity of Viren, then he would feel better.

He knew nearly every aspect of Farah. Finding ways to embarrass her or otherwise make her unappealing to Viren could be very simple.

And Samir certainly had some stories of Viren’s past that he could share with Farah that she wouldn’t like. Farah was well aware that Samir didn’t like Viren, but he never really told her the exact reasons for it. That would have to change.

“Oooh, she would definitely run from his temper.” He hated the idea of that temper aimed her way, but if they could just manage to get her to see it in general, that could be enough to squash that budding flame before it had a chance to grow too much. “If they only continue to grow closer, then we should bring out that temper as a powerful weapon.”

“Mhm!” Claudia could only beam at the compliment of being like her father, especially as it confirmed something was going on, for her. She followed along with Farah, glad it was so easy to get her to take her to Soren. Although, of course, she still wanted the recipe.

“Even if I told you, you wouldn’t be able to make it,” Claudia said, “it involves dark magic,” which, maybe that was a frivolous use of it, but it was so worth it. Just like the pancakes dad made, and Claudia had learned. “But I’ll be happy to make it for you again, if you tell me what’s going on with you and my dad,” she couldn’t help but nudge her shoulder into Farah’s as they walked.

Sure, the other woman was a Queen, but this was juicy! And Claudia had her! “Do you liiiike him?” And was she happy about this? Claudia still wasn’t sure, but teasing was fun. She’d discuss it with Soren seriously later. She was still telling Soren. Just…out of earshot of Viren and Farah, and in private, and swearing him into secrecy for a little bit.

He was good at it!

Sometimes.

Although perhaps debatable as they heard an uproar of cheers from the Del Bar camp and some counting. “Oh no….” Claudia could only imagine this involved Soren somehow.

~***~

‘You fool. You absolute fool.’ Alette would not call Samir that, but she did roll her eyes as he suggested it ought to wait. As if a stronger bond would make it easier for Farah to toss Viren aside when she saw the temper. “If you insist it wait, it can, but I’m not sure that’s your smartest idea.”

People were able to overlook more, the more they had bonded with someone.

Which…really did remind her of the problem with Aaravos. Then again, he wasn’t telling her anything, so the odds of actually bonding were slim. ‘Still.’ He was learning about her. She wasn’t denying him that opportunity, either.

“You just tell me when you need Viren to explode, I have some very good ways to make it catastrophic,” despite the grin, she meant it. And she would not enjoy the aftermath in the least, but if it helped spare Farah…it was for the best. She could always just tell Farah the truth of things, too, but…she was still on Viren’s side about the Xadia situation.

King Harrow had still been attacked.

More would come.

“But for now – I have a lot more books, and you can pick a few to take to keep looking into this Aaravos.”

And then there was some cheering outside. And counting. ‘What the hell?’ She probably didn’t want to know.

~***~

Before going to his meeting with the generals of Katolis’s army, Viren did stop back in his study. It was mostly to grab his staff which he’d left when going to see Farah, and somewhat to check on Aaravos. The bug had been asleep when he woke, and he had left it asleep, unsure what the protocol was.

He didn’t even know the bug slept. He wasn’t entirely convinced it was a real bug in the sense that it was naturally born and had natural needs.

So finding it awake, he did offer his hand to it so it could crawl up, “I didn’t realize you needed sleep,” he pointed out, “Do you also need to eat?” he’d have to figure out how to prepare food for it if it did, though he was hoping the answer was ‘no’. Maybe it just drank up starlight or something – he didn’t know how these things worked.

“My generals have the final tally, so I’ll be going to organize a few last minute details with them,” that was where Aaravos was joining the day, for now. He didn’t see the shade of Aaravos floating around, wouldn’t ask about that, yet.

“I have a mage that could make it for me,” Farah pointed out, but she had a feeling this was a losing battle. Viren did say that Claudia wouldn’t give Samir the recipe. Maybe she felt special being the only one who knew the recipe and wanted to keep it her own special little treat.

When Claudia asked and teased her about what was going on between her and Viren, Farah could feel her face flush. She honestly didn’t know what was going on between them, but she knew what she wanted to happen. She knew that she would answer ‘yes’ to Claudia’s question of whether or not Farah liked him.

But she didn’t answer Claudia’s questions before they were distracted by an uproar in the Del Bar camp, which she was relieved by. She didn’t know how to answer Claudia’s question, because what if she was reading the signs wrong? What if nothing ended up happening at all, both of them too distracted by the oncoming war?

Walking closer, Farah sighed and smiled at who it was causing the mass cheers. “It’s Soren and the head of my Crownguard, Yaseen.” And they were…doing lunges? Oh, she was definitely responsible for this, which amused her greatly. She didn’t think that Soren would actually challenge Yaseen to a competition to see who could do the most weighted lunges.

Her bet was definitely on Soren, but she would never tell Yaseen that. “They’re just having some good natured fun.”

~~~

Maybe they won’t wait.

Maybe Samir would tell Alette to make Viren explode the next time they were all together, which may be that next day, when they set off for Xadia.

Samir felt some guilt for plotting such a thing. He wanted Farah happy, he truly did, but this wasn’t it. She could literally pick anyone in Evenere, and they would happily agree. But no, she had to have some weird connection to Viren of all people.

“Maybe tomorrow then - and just name your price,” he said with a half grin. He still felt horrible, but this was for the best for her heart.

Samir heard the cheering outside right then, and he merely raised a brow at Alette. “Common occurrence here?” he asked, standing up to move over to the books she found. “After all of this is over, you should come to Evenere if you’re still researching this Aaravos thing. I’m pretty sure we have some books in the restricted section that would be of use.”

~~~

The worm was awake before Viren came back, and Aaravos waited patiently for his return, knowing exactly where the mage had gone so early in the morning. It was almost cute with how the two humans are pursuing each other in the midst of war and loss.

Viren eventually returned, and Aaravos climbed up the hand offered to crawl back to his ear. At that moment, the spirit form of Aaravos reappeared and leaned against Viren’s desk with his arms crossed. “My caterpillar form does not actually need to eat or sleep, but I myself tend to enjoy such activities.”

He wouldn't mention that he had visited Alette in her dreams, and that was why he technically wasn’t there when Viren left.

“You will not need to worry about making sure I am fed.” But oh, if he were to say yes, the image of Viren scrambling to figure out how to feed a caterpillar was amusing. There was too much going on already, that would just end up being a nuisance in the end.

Aaravos stood up from the desk and walked forward. “Excellent, we shall be ready by dawn tomorrow. I trust that Evenere’s army is also organized and ready to depart?” He couldn’t help the tease as a mischievous smile blossomed across his face.

Claudia didn’t answer about the mage. She knew the Evenere mage was named Samir. She didn’t think she’d met him, but she heard Viren talk about him before. They were not friends. He wouldn’t even write Samir for advice or information. He went through Alette for that, when he thought it might be in Evenere, as far as Claudia knew.

And she knew a bit.

So she wouldn’t be sharing with Samir.

Nor did she get the answer to her own question, and promptly forgot it when she saw Soren and someone else in the midst of a lunging competition with weights – both holding the same amount, likely for some sense of fairness? Claudia wasn’t sure – she was really only sure that Soren usually did heavier ones.

Farah gave her the name, and so Claudia promptly joined in the cheers with, “GET HIM, SOREN! YOU GOT THIS!” cupping a hand over her mouth and punching the air with her other fist as she bounced on her tiptoes. “COME OOOOON, SOREN~.” Ever the supportive sister.

~***~

Tomorrow? Alette lifted her brows, but nodded, “Shouldn’t be hard in the morning,” or even the evening, depending on how the march was going. She’d have to see when they were all together, or when Samir could tell her that Viren and Farah were together so she could intrude for Bug Pal or something, and then blow it far out of proportion.

“I’ll make it a ‘you owe me’ for now, unless you can actually get King Dieter off my back,” that was the only real way to get Trisha off her back and she knew it. Plus, she already had Samir on board for the Aaravos research, so no need to ask him for that. “Without, you know, magic.” Obviously neither of them were going to use magic on the other’s monarch.

There were lines.

As for the cheering, she just sighed, smiled, “You know how Del Bar is,” he didn’t, really, except what she told him. “I’m sure Trisha’s getting out her frustrations on some poor meathead.” That it was a physical event would not have surprised her in the least. Del Bar was all about that life, after all.

As for the visit, she chuckled, “We’ll see how things end. Maybe I’ll be too busy exploring Xadia’s offerings,” she didn’t know what the future held, but she could guess Xadia would be…a bit more open to her prying.

~***~

‘And there you are.’ Viren noted Aaravos out of the corner of his eye as the elf appeared, and spoke of the sleep thing. Apparently when Aaravos slept, the caterpillar would, as well. “How often should I expect this?” He ought to prepare for this, at least a bit. He couldn’t have the caterpillar just dropping off his shoulder, though he imagined Aaravos would not just nod off like that.

At least he didn’t have to feed the caterpillar.

That would have been stressful.

Picking up his staff, he walked out of the room, not at all surprised the conversation didn’t stop, though it was at least on topic. Even if he was aware enough what Aaravos left out. “Yes, all the other kingdoms will be prepared to leave tomorrow, I’ve heard no reports that I should anticipate a delay.” If anything, he was the one delaying because of Ezran’s last request.

And then Ezran vanishes!

Farah grinned as Claudia hollered and cheered for her brother. It’s something she would’ve done for her own brother when he got into a friendly competition with the Crownguard. He wasn’t quite up to their physical fitness level, so he lost many times, but Farah would never stop cheering for her brother.

Oh, she hoped Claudia never had to experience losing her brother like Farah did.

Farah didn’t cheer for Yaseen the way Claudia cheered; it wasn’t exactly queenly behavior, and now being in Del Bar’s camp, on Katolis soil, she still had an image to uphold. She did clap though to add to the noise momentum as both men continued with their lunges.

Yaseen was the first to drop, the weights landing on the ground with a dull thud. He breathed deeply, hands resting on his knees, as he turned his head toward Soren. “I can’t do anymore. I admit that you won this round.” There had to be a friendly competition he could be Soren at. There had to be!

~~~

Samir had been thinking somewhere closer to midday or afternoon, when they had settled into their march, but any time when Farah and Viren were close together would work. And the sooner, the better. Before more of those feelings developed.

He chuckled and shook his head. “I think King Dieter is too adamant about getting you to train to fight for me to be able to intervene in any way. I will try those, sans magic, but go ahead and think of that ‘I owe you’ favor.” Because he knew he wouldn’t be able to get Dieter to stop worrying about Alette’s training.

And he didn’t think Trisha would ever stop pestering Alette about it either. Del Bar had scary people.

He was grateful that the people of Evenere cared more about intellectualism than physical strength and combat.

“Well, you know the invitation is always open to you,” he said, picking up one book and leafing through the pages. “Have you actually managed to find any relevant information in these books yet?”

~~~

“Oh, not that often at all. I don’t require much sleep, and I can simply sleep when you sleep.” He stepped closer to Viren, leaning down to lower his face closer to Viren’s. “Why? Afraid you’ll miss me in those few hours I am asleep?” A light tease.

Aaravos chuckled and straightened back up.

He was very aware of how Viren both ignored and answered his question. Would he be able to get more information from Alette? “Good, very good.” At least everything was lining up according to plan, which, of course it was.

Humans could be so predictable in their reactions.

“But don’t think I’m not aware of how you answered my question,” he continued with a wide grin. “Surely you have nothing to hide.”

Soren was happy, but not at all surprised, that he won as he clapped Yaseen on the back, laughing through his own hard breathes, “You did good!” Soren cheered, hardly a sore loser or winner when it came to these things. He loved the challenge too much to ever be a sore loser or winner, really.

“I’ll look forward to next time, Yaseen,” he said, before Claudia broke through the crowd and he dropped his own weights, “Clauds!”

“You did so great, Soren!” she cheered, and then to Yaseen, “And you, too! Though you both really need to do more squats,” Soren just groaned at that, and she giggled, “Oh, but Sor-bear, did you find dad?”

“I did, I, uh, may have gotten distracted,” obviously, “I think he was on his way back, though. He looked like he was packing up from his meeting with the monarchs.” Claudia had to hold back laughter at what Soren thought, and just patted his shoulder. “Why, does he need me? Did he get into trouble?” Suddenly, he was all serious, and worried.

“No, no, dad’s fine,” she hoped, she assumed, “I just wanted to make sure you found him. Now we should get back, you have Crownguard duties!”

“Ah, right,” he chuckled, “Thanks again, Yaseen!” he beamed at him, before he would prepare to head off with Claudia – Claudia lifting her hand to wave at Farah as she headed off.

~***~

King Dieter was and Alette knew it. It was still worth asking, though. Samir had a way with some people, after all. Still, she knew Dieter wasn’t likely to make an exception for anyone. That was his entire spiel to her – no exceptions for his court, and that meant his High Mage. Sure, she could quit, but then what? Become some random mage selling her spells on the street? Hard pass.

As for finding out anything, Alette could only sigh, “No,” which was frustrating, but expected at this early beginning into the study of Aaravos. Honestly, what they did have was far more than expected with the Elarion bit, but they needed more. She needed more, but she couldn’t press the urgency onto Samir.

He couldn’t know the truth of it all just yet.

If ever.

“I fell asleep in the library, I didn’t get far at all,” she chuckled, “though some of these were found by the sun stone rather than the librarians, so some of them ought to be useful. I…can’t remember which ones, but still!” The sun stone did what it did best – it revealed.

It was just a shame it couldn’t undo the curse on Aaravos’s name.

~***~

Viren just scoffed at Aaravos’s tease. No, he wasn’t going to miss him, “It would be inconvenient if you were sleeping when I had important business to be on. I wouldn’t want to waste time summarizing it to you when it was over.” Or miss out on advice, although he knew he could handle it on his own.

He had for the most part, anyways.

“I’m not unaware of how you asked the question either, Aaravos,” Viren kept his tone firm, and annoyed, “I don’t know quite what you think you’re gaining by telling Alette of my activity or who I choose to speak with at length,” no, he wasn’t impressed that Aaravos had ratted on him to Alette the other night. Nor that she’d now seen him again with Farah. He knew this was going to cause problems, “but it isn’t going to help the peace of the camp on the march.”

Quite the contrary.

“Unless you’re trying to create rifts,” but he didn’t think that. He was sure that Aaravos would prefer peace in the camps so they could get to Xadia and take down the dragon prince.

After the competition, Yaseen joined up with Farah and showed her to where Samir went off to. Not that long after, Samir exited the tent and rejoined Farah, and they left to go back to Evenere’s camp for last minute preparations with the heads of the army, ensuring everything is in order for a smooth departure in the morning.

Of course, later on, Samir badgered Farah about her morning meeting with Viren. She insisted that nothing was going on, that he had simply walked in at a moment of softness as Farah and Viren reminisced over lost ones and they sought to comfort one another. Samir didn’t believe her, but wouldn’t press it further.

He and Alette would do more about this budding romance later, which he still felt guilty over. But it was for the best, right? Even Alette agreed, and she knew Viren the best out of them all!

War preparations continued for the rest of the day, and when night came, Farah remained sleepless, instead allowing her thoughts to become too consumed by her memories and feelings, overwhelming her mind too greatly for any chance at peace that evening. She thought about asking Samir for a potion to help her, but she couldn’t bring herself to do it.

Her restless night blended into early morning, when the armies set off right at the break of dawn. For most of the first day, Farah stayed with the generals and captains of her army, far behind where she knew Viren was leading the entire march, which progressed far through Katolis on its first day.

Still, there was a long way to go before they reached their destination in Xadia.

When the sun began to set, Farah and her small royal entourage of Samir and Yaseen made their way to the front of the march when soldiers were beginning to set up tents and prepare dinner for the evening.

Aaravos behaved for most of the first day. He teased when he could, especially to Alette in the small window he had to talk to her. She would definitely benefit from the same lens treatment he gave to Viren back in the cell. He would just have to either ensure that Alette took him to her tent that night, crawl his way to where she would sleep, or wait until another night where he was more fortuitous, as he didn’t want an accident caused by some spooked soldier upon seeing a bug crawling along the ground.

He offered his advice where it was needed, partly discussed strategies for when they reached Xadia, crossing the border and beyond, and for the most part, didn’t attempt to ‘create any rifts.’

Aaravos behaved, while he tried to further read the dynamic between everyone at play there.

When Samir left her with Queen Farah, a woman who truly didn’t deserve to be paired with Viren, Alette was indeed hassled by Trisha to go forward with her training. No amount of protests set that aside, so the day of the march, she was still smarting from new bruises and soreness, ones she knew were only likely to become worse as she had training each evening when they settled.

‘How am I supposed to make potions like this?’ She’d complained to Dieter to no avail. He assumed she’d have plenty of time as she and Trisha wouldn’t have duties that involved setting up the camp. By the time she was done with Trisha, her tent would be ready and she could do her work then.

He had no understand of fatigue, which was typical of someone of Del Bar. He was likely to get a terrible wake-up call when he started feeling it on the march.

Alette held her tongue on that, though. At least her job for that evening would likely pair well with Trisha’s training – she just had to convince Trisha she had to pick up something from Viren, which wasn’t hard to do considering her job for that night was to make a list of ingredients some of the soldiers needed to try and find for her, so she could indeed keep making potions that would be able to help them. If Viren had something she needed for that, then Trisha would accept…she had to come back to Del Bar’s camp eventually, after all.

Viren, of course, was at the head of the camp, dealing with Aaravos, his children, and the various military leaders of Katolis that were not his son. He’d marched to battle before, so it was nothing new to him. He’d marched to Xadia before, but their path would be different this time, and he was still working out how to manage it.

It wasn’t a problem for that night, though. They didn’t get far enough for that to be a problem, so he settled in, constructing his tent – and several others – with a quick dark magic spell. Frivolous, maybe – but it meant that his soldiers could rest for longer, which was important, so he had no problems with that.

With the tents up, they began to hurry about for food, which was being prepared by the cooks brought along. Viren intended to make his own once again, although he borrowed the ingredients from the cooks to do so before he got on with that, sharing with Claudia and Soren, of course. He set aside a plate in hopes Farah would join, and dug out the chess set he’d packed, as well, ignoring any comments Aaravos had about that.

They weren’t down to making stews yet, so the cuts of meat were fairly generous, along with the roasted vegetables, and of course – dessert. The rest of the camp wasn’t getting dessert, but Viren couldn’t resist.

It was on his way back from Claudia’s tent that he saw Farah arrive, with a couple of others. He was fairly close to his own tent, and it seemed they had been heading that way. ‘Didn’t prepare for those two.’ He wasn’t enthused to see Samir although he supposed there might be some business there.

Samir had to prepare his army for the journey, as well.

“Queen Farah,” he remembered the public rule, of course, “Lord Samir, Captain Yaseen,” of course he heard all about Yaseen from Soren, most of it against his wishes. “A pleasure to see you all have made it up here.” As much as he wanted to just separate Farah and invite her in, he supposed he could not do that. “Is there something I can help with?”

“Yes!” The voice that chimed was neither Yaseen or Samir, but Alette, who popped out from near his tent. Apparently, she’d been waiting.

He couldn’t help but sigh, “Let me guess…Starling?” what an insipid name.

“Yes!” She agreed with that same enthusiasm.

Of course, he had ‘Starling’ right there on his ear, but he waited a moment for Aaravos to say it was all right before he’d agree. He knew Alette and Aaravos had worked something out, but he’d also told Aaravos he would listen for his opinion on the matter at any particular time, as well. Unless he just couldn’t get out of it.

He was tempted to give him away, though. The teasing about Farah being there would be irksome. He'd rather Aaravos be gone.

Of course Aaravos wanted to comment on the extra plate of food and the chess set Viren set aside for what he obviously hoped would be an evening spent with the queen of Evenere. He didn’t though, behaved for once, but he did allow himself to lightly tease, “Ah, a rousing game of strategic planning. One must always keep their mind sharp in preparation for battle.”

As if he didn’t know it was just an excuse for the two monarchs to spend a quiet evening together, talking about anything that wasn’t related to the war.

But he would behave for now and not comment on that relationship any further with Viren. At least, for tonight.

As expected, Farah and her own high mage eventually joined them, soon with Alette popping out and asking to see Aaravos, which he had no issue with, and stated as such. It was late in the day, all important matters had been discussed for now, and he could tease Viren later.

For now, “You may hand me over to her. Try not to have too much fun without me.” Now it was time to talk to Alette more, and see how she will play into his plans.

And she was terribly amusing, he had to admit.

“King Viren,” the three of them echoed. Farah, dismounting her horse, only looked too amused as the subject of the bug on Viren’s ear was brought up again. She still found the whole situation to be a bit…odd, as she would never want live bugs anywhere on her. But she just continued to imagine it was a mage thing. ‘I’ll have to ask Samir about it later.’

She didn’t want that to be the topic of the evening with Viren. She had hoped for something more…personal.

Turning to Yaseen and handing him the reins to her horse, she asked, “Can you check up on our tent situation for the evening? And make sure you don’t forget to grab dinner.”

Nodding with a smile on his face, he said, “Of course, Your Grace,” and he left them behind.

Only one person left to get rid of. Not that Farah thought about that in a cruel way, but she certainly didn’t want to spend some time with Viren with Samir hovering in the background.

Fortunately, it seemed that he was already distracted by Alette and the bug, Starling. “I may have found out some more information concerning our little bug friend here.” Bug pal. Whatever. Samir would follow Alette after she had Aaravos once again.

Satisfied that everyone was either gone or distracted, Farah turned back to Viren. “King Viren,” as they were still technically in public, and she didn’t know if anyone was actually listening, “I trust that your journey had been just as uneventful as mine?” Or else surely she would have heard something by now.

“I was wondering,” she started, leaning in just a bit closer, “if you were still up for that game of chess?”

It seemed Aaravos had no issues with it. There was no sign that Alette saw, and Viren didn’t hesitate long in taking the bug from his ear and handing it off to her. She took it with a smile, and glanced to Samir as he approached with more information. Oh, how she wanted to bound off and get that information, but instead she offered him the bug, “Hold on a sec,” she didn’t need to hear Aaravos as she went into this.

She really kind of wished Samir wasn’t there, either – but he’d know for sure he owed her, so, that was a bonus. Seeing how Farah leaned in to Viren, seeing his smile, she interrupted before he could answer whatever was softly exchanged, “Ah, Viren – sorry, Your Grace,” to Farah, of course, it was still just ‘Viren’ to her. Always would be, really, even if he looked annoyed. He wasn’t annoyed with the lack of title, “There was one more reason I came down here.”

He sighed, “What is it, Alette?” and drew away from Farah as he turned to fully face Alette, making no secret of his desire for this to be over already in his tone.

Alette had decided long before this, but had solidified it over the journey, that there was only one ‘fight’ to pick, and it would be the one Viren had to dance around and lie about, which would put him on the defensive, and make him want to end it quickly. Which, always meant a snap in his temper, because it chased people. “It’s about the Moonshadow Elves that attacked Harrow.” And she saw how rigid he went and knew this was already won.

Like it or not.

“What about them?” oh, his tone was very on edge. Lowered, and with that tight expression. He gave away too much in that, but then, only because Alette knew. Others could assume it was a sore topic for thousands of reasons.

And it probably was that, too.

“There were five, right? And you captured one?”

“Yes…he’s dead now, I’m not sure why this is relevant—”

Alette interceded quickly, “Well, we couldn’t capture any of our assassins,” a truth she knew, because the assassins weren’t real, “Which, doesn’t make much sense, it wasn’t a full moon, but they just seemed to vanish into smoke.”

“I don’t have time—”

“Would you wait?” Alette huffed, “I’m getting to the point, it takes some background,” she rolled her eyes, shifted her weight, “the point is that we don’t know where the Moonshadow elves live in Xadia, they’re not on any maps, but you were able to keep a Moonshadow elf, and killed the others, so I realized we could use a spell to find where the Moonshadow elves are in Xadia and make a point to give that way a wide enough berth.”

His expression. The anger. The agitation. The desire to say things he couldn’t – no doubt, that Aaravos knew where the lands were and they would avoid them – were all painfully clear. Of course, he couldn’t say that. Just as he couldn’t say he didn’t have the elves things any longer, because he’d destroyed them in the spell to make the assassins.

So, instead, “You think I didn’t try that?” the snap was there, rising, “You think I didn’t try everything to learn more about them?”

“No—”

“—then what are you hoping to do differently?”

“Use the primal stone that you don’t have!” Alette snapped.

“Why didn’t you use it on the assassin who came to kill Florian and track them?

Of course Viren knew the answer.

Alette knew the answer – and oh, the temptation to say the truth! – but she refrained even as her eyes watered and her cheeks went bright red at the audacity of the question and his tone, as he continued to dig his own grave by trying to point out how absolutely stupid it was, and how she should have known it was an absolutely stupid request. “If it didn’t work there, what makes you think it’s going to work with pithy remnants of long dead assassin armor or weapons or bones – what even makes you think I kept it when I found it worthless and didn’t throw it on a pyre?”

Samir raised a brow as he was handed the bug, slightly questioning, but his earlier conversation with Alette came to the forefront of his mind right then. The argument. The potential rift in the early relationship between Viren and Farah.

And not a moment too soon, it seemed, as he noticed how close they simply stood next to each other.

“I think things are about to get good,” he muttered to the caterpillar, still resting in the palm of his hand. “I don’t know if you’ve seen Viren’s temper before, but it’s not a pretty sight,” he said to the bug, as if it could actually understand him.

Farah was slightly annoyed by the interruption, but she didn’t display those emotions as readily as Viren did. She still maintained her calm, kind face as Alette indicated that she wanted to ask Viren a question.

A question about the Moonshadow elves that killed Harrow.

She couldn’t fault Viren for that initial reaction. It was a sore topic for him, as likely as it was for her as well. She would prefer if the topic wasn’t brought up that night, but for some reason, Alette had to ask about it now.

“Maybe this is a conversation that should have been discussed before we left,” Farah suggested calmly, as her own heart tugged at the memory of a Moonshadow assassin killing her sister. “It sounds like what you’re trying to accomplish may require some items that won’t be on this trip.” At least, that’s what Farah assumed. Why would there be items belonging to a dead Moonshadow elf?

Still, Farah kept glancing over at Viren, noting his thinly concealed anger in the conversation. She wouldn't fault him just yet for his reaction, but she did frown at him. And Alette.

She just wanted a peaceful evening.

Farah interjected, and Alette gave her a watery smile and wiped at one eye. She hated that she was an angry crier, she really did, “Y-yeah, I know that, but it wouldn’t be hard now while we’re still just one day out to ride back and get it. One person can catch up pretty easily to an army, and that’s why I brought it up now and why it can’t late, because I didn’t get a chance to track the other assassin,” she went right back at Viren.

“I wasn’t thinking straight then, and by the time I did, it was too late. I know how grief gets to us,” she tried to empathize, “and I know you wouldn’t throw out random magical artifacts.” She stated pointedly to Viren, “Unless you were really that angry?”

Her temper cooled.

His didn’t, because he still didn’t understand the point of this. Alette knew what happened with the assassins. Alette knew what he’d done. So why was she pressing it? It made no sense! Did she really think there was something left of any of them? Perhaps the fifth one, he had only needed to send four assassins, after all.

Was she trying to make him admit the truth?

What was her angle?

“I don’t have them anymore,” he said through gritted teeth, “They’re destroyed. I destroyed them all when I was trying to gather information from them, so there’s nothing for you to go back for.” That should have ended it.

It did not.

“You destroyed all of them?” Alette sounded horrified, which, well, she actually was surprised because she knew of that fifth, too. “What did you do, use them all in one spell?”

“No! I tried several—”

“And you didn’t think to stop and get some more information, or save some for later, or—”

“If I did that, would they be destroyed, Alette?” obviously not, “No, I didn’t! Time has been of the essence since Harrow was killed, so I did all that I could, tirelessly, ceaselessly, unlikely anyone else here. Do I regret it now? Of course I do, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are gone, and no amount of arguing about or chastising me for making attempts to learn anything about what happened are going to make it better. And you know what I did learn, that I tried to warn everyone about?”

The answer was obvious.

“That the elves were going to make other targets of the human kingdoms, but that went unheeded as well when no one chose to help Katolis and go to war at the outset of this.”

Alette crossed her arms over her chest and tried to keep from just turning on her heel, tried to ignore the damn watery eyes and falling tears. “I’m sorry, I just—I honestly hoped you’d have something more! You’re not usually—”

“My best friend doesn’t usually get murdered!” Viren shouted.

Alette winced.

“Does that regularly happen to you, so much so that you think you can stand in judgment of what I have done?” He continued.

“No….”

“I would hope not.”

There was a tense silence. “I said I’m sorry,” Alette repeated, “I am sorry for my reaction, but I’m not sorry for trying to offer help, and you shouldn’t be upset that I had ideas, or be upset that I’m disappointed. I lost a good friend that night, too, and I also reacted badly that night. We’ve both had time to think now and I thought of this, so I’m sorry I came to you with a fucking idea!” her voice broke a bit, and Viren, well – Viren realized what he’d done as her fists clenched at her side. “I’ll go back to my camp and not bother you if I come up with more ideas to keep everyone alive as we travel into Xadia since clearly you thought of everything already and destroyed anything I could have used to begin with!”

And Alette turned on heel and stormed off, in quite a sincere fury herself, not leaving Viren a moment to apologize as well.

Farah stilled at the anger and outburst shared between the two mages.

Was this what Samir saw every time he looked at Viren? Was this what was he was silently trying to tell her about Viren for all those years he harbored a dislike for the High Mage of Katolis?

Farah watched Alette as she teared up at the way her so-called friend treated her, and her gaze continued to follow the other woman when she turned away to storm back to the Del Bar camp.

Samir, watching the entire exchange in absolute silence, hesitated a moment when Alette walked away. He turned his gaze between her and Farah before ultimately deciding to follow Alette, largely as her worm was still in his hand, and also as Farah needed a moment to decide what her thoughts on the man standing next to her were now.

He quickly caught up to Alette, wrapping one arm around her shoulders in comfort. “That was both impressive and scary. Just name your price when you think of it, and I’ll pay you back.”

Maybe Viren had some right to feel anger at the entire situation, but Farah couldn’t see any justification in his outburst. An outburst, she realized, that cooled her interest in him for the moment.

If Viren treated his friends like that, how did he treat his children? What were the reasons, exactly, as to why he and his wife were no longer together?

“I see you have much to think about,” Farah said cooly, not looking at Viren. She couldn’t. Would he blow up at her next? “I’ll leave you to that.” Without another word, she walked away without a destination in mind. Maybe she’ll follow after Samir and Alette. Maybe she would try and find Yaseen and see about her tent.

In the moment, she just knew she didn’t want to stand next to Viren anymore.

Alette took a deep breath as she got far enough away.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Samir was at her side and she managed a crooked smile, before wiping again at her eyes as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Soon as I think of something not impossible,” she chuckled, realized Aaravos was now definitely aware this was a setup for poor Viren, but still reached to take him back from Samir and put him back on her shoulder.

“For now, you can distract me with whatever you figured out. I still need to cool off,” and her anger wasn’t at him, so she didn’t want to snap at him by lingering on this. Better to have a distraction of information so she could redirect her thoughts to whatever he had to say.

She’d probably have to deal with Aaravos’s questions about the situation later.

She still meant to ask Aaravos about whether the dream was…well…real but she didn’t know how to ask that. She had failed to ask the day before in their short meeting.

~***~

Well, there went Viren’s plans.

‘She actually wanted something from the assassins. She was just trying to keep it all under wraps.’ Viren couldn’t help but think that he’d really fucked up there. He’d have to see her in the morning – well, obviously, she had Aaravos with her – and explain why he’d reacted that way if she hadn’t figured it out.

He was always on eggshells about that topic, knowing what she knew. He couldn’t understand why she couldn’t find a way to do this in a better fashion but – damnit! He palmed his temple and pushed his fingers back through his hair in genuine frustration with himself as he realized he let his temper get away from him, only to hear Farah talk about leaving him be, because he did have a lot to think about.

An understatement.

Nothing he could do about that until the morning, though.

“Wait, Far—Your Grace,” he quickly turned after her, initially reached to catch her arm, and thought better of it as he quickly just fell in step with her, “I know I need to apologize to High Mage Alette in the morning and I…should apologize to you for witnessing that,” he sighed, “I was caught off guard by her line of questioning but that’s no excuse for how I responded to it,” and he couldn’t…adequately explain, except, “it brought up…a lot of feelings of guilt I’m still dealing with for failing…so many.”

Fareeda included there.

“That’s no excuse for my reaction…I know that.” Knew, and could see quickly, that he had fucked up. He always saw it, it was always like a flame. There for a second, and gone the next, leaving him with the dark reality of what he’d wrought in the interim.

So he sighed, “If you do not wish to see me any further tonight, I understand, but at least let me have your dinner and dessert brought to your tent. I promise I won’t bring it.”

Once the caterpillar was gone from his hands and placed on Alette’s shoulder, Samir took his free hand and wiped away a stray tear that lingered on her face.

He felt guilty for Alette putting herself in the line of fire like that, over trying to stop a budding romance from blossoming between another great friend of his and someone he disdained, something else he felt a lot of guilt about, but he hoped it would all be worth it.

If not, then…fuck.

The caterpillar crawled up Alette’s neck, Aaravos not giving a thought to how weird that sensation may have felt for her, and settled on her ear.

“Now I have to rethink what it was that I found,” he admitted with a chuckle. “That was quite the scene back there.” But his attention did refocus on Aaravos as the caterpillar moved. “Does he perch on ears often?” he asked with an amused grin. “The little critter seems to love ears for some reason.”

“Oh, it’s always fun to whisper in one’s ear,” Aaravos couldn’t help but to utter to Alette. “People always seem to love it when I do.” Oh, and he knew why, and it always amused him greatly, what could make someone weak.

~~~

Oh how Farah wanted to ignore Viren and continue on her way. She should have, and yet as he began his apology, she slowed down until she came to a stop, still not quite looking at him, but her head tilted in a way to show that she was listening to him.

She was curious as to what he would say in regards to his temper.

“You’re right, there was no excuse for how you responded to a friend simply trying to help.” She could understand feelings of guilt, she really could. Did she not have guilt herself over many things, including her decision of whether or not to drag her people into a war?

And Farah certainly has had her fair share of outbursts over the years, especially towards Fareeda and Samir when they were just trying to help. She would claim the situation was different, but they both had that shared experience of losing people close to them.

Farah knew anger and grief.

She allowed him to finish, and finally, she turned her head to look at him. Oh, she could see the regret and guilt all too well. “Do you ever yell at your children like that?” She certainly hoped not. “Or anyone else you claim to love?” Partners, lovers, friends, anyone in his life.

Farah sighed, casting a quick glance around them before focusing on Viren once more. Somehow, she couldn’t find it in herself to stay mad at Viren, that flame of interest slowly flickering back to life. “I don’t think my tent is quite ready, so I’ll just eat dinner in yours.” Did he cook again?

Damn. That made things even harder for her, along with how absolutely pathetic he looked.

“But if you ever direct that anger at me for any reason, this…casual relationship we have ends.” That, Farah would not back down on, even as she didn’t know how to describe what was going on between them.

Alette groaned as Samir went back to the situation with Viren. It was a terrible one and she’d have to apologize for it in the morning, and probably tell him the truth since Aaravos would. Sure, that would mean facing genuine wrath, but she’d rather do that than keep it lingering over her head. Maybe it would also make him think, or at least explain himself some over this Farah thing.

Either way, Alette did her part.

At least Samir didn’t linger, going to Aaravos, who had indeed crawled right back up to her ear. The sensation was weird, but she’d managed to hold back any shivering when she felt it crawl up; she had been aware that he would, so that helped. “Yeah,” Alette chuckled, “it seems to be his favorite spot, I don’t really know why. It feels weird, but I’ve endured worse,” she shrugged.

And it was worth the sound of his voice anyways, which he was very aware of. She’d call him a smug bastard, but really, hadn’t she said as much to him? It was likely a compliment he’d heard from hundreds of people, if not thousands. He deserved that arrogance.

“But you better rethink quick – Trisha isn’t going to fall for your arrival a second time and let me off the hook for long,” Alette teased a bit, but it was also true. She’d only told Trisha about Viren and picking up Starling, naught else. Trisha would definitely insist that Samir could wait until they were done.

~***~

Viren’s lip did twitch at the ‘claim to love’, as if his temper being directed at anyone made him love them less. He wasn’t a saint and he knew that. He knew he’d done multiple terrible things, but in the end, it had always been the right thing – the means weren’t always great, but the means could be disregarded in the larger scheme.

His temper might have threatened to flare if he wasn’t already low from the last flare, so he was able to answer stiffly, but with no threat of anger, “Yes, my children have been unfortunate victims of it, as have others I have loved. I don’t enjoy this fact, but it’s true. Our loved ones often see the worst of us, as much as they see the best.”

So he couldn’t actually promise Farah that his temper would never flare, and she would never be on the other side of it. He knew better than that. He wouldn’t want it to happen, but people never wanted their worst side to come out under any circumstance. He hated losing control in general, and hated it especially when it was something he ought to control – himself!

But it happened.

He did consider sending her away with her dinner at her ultimatum, but chose instead to ignore it. This casual thing, as she put it, was young. The words might mean much now, but later, as she saw more of his good, she might reconsider them.

Perhaps the casual relationship would have already ended to something more serious, after all.

“I understand,” he did, “thank you, for coming to join me for dinner, though. I think it’s quite good, and the dessert is immaculate.” But of course it was – he made it, and she’d see it all soon as she stepped in, the scent of all the roasted food still quite potent, with the tang of the dessert not far. “Since you hadn’t had dragon berries before, I thought it only fair you actually taste them in a dragon berry crumble.”

“Ah, so that whole argument was done on purpose,” Aaravos figured out, though now he was curious as to the reason why. While he would have loved for it to have been simply for pure chaos, he knew the humans wouldn’t plan something that way. They enjoyed purpose with their chaos.

“It’s like a weird little pet,” Samir said as he watched Aaravos climb up to Alette’s ear. “Cute, though.” If it belonged to Samir, it may have long ago found its use and been used for dark magic, not once thinking about where it came from or what its origin could mean.

He would hardly care about that at all.

“What if,” Samir started, and with his arm still around Alette’s shoulders, he began to steer her away from the Del Bar camp and in the direction of Evenere’s camp, “we just tell her you’re helping me out with some super important war stuff that Farah asked about. She’ll play along.” He paused. “Probably.”

It would honestly depend on what kind of mood she was in.

“If she doesn’t find out what we just did, I can probably get her to play along with prolonging your return to that torture.”

Aaravos chuckled in Alette’s ear. “So you two are causing chaos. That’s so beautiful.”

~~~

Farah wanted the whole issue of anger and Viren’s temperament to just drop, so she didn’t comment on it any further as they veered into dinner and dessert as she smelled the inviting aroma of what had been cooked.

She may forgive any future temperament flares if delicious foods were a way of an apology afterwards.

“Do you think it’s quite good because you made it?” She couldn’t help the tease as a soft smile crossed her face, the issue of earlier forgotten as her mouth watered at the sight and smell of the food. A deliciously roasted dinner and a dragon berry crumble that she immediately wanted to dig into.

“I admit, I do want to try the crumble first, but I’ll resist that temptation,” she said with a chuckle, taking a seat. “Dinner does look and smell amazing, though.” And she hadn’t eaten much that day, evident by a growl of her stomach.

Alette really wanted to respond to Aaravos in all of this, of course, but all she could do was chuckle along with the ‘chaos’ comment and Samir’s steering her off path. Of course, she knew it was possible Farah found out, if Viren told her after she came clean to him. Then Farah would not be interested in helping her out and any positive relationship she might have been able to build with the Queen was out the window, but it was the price for such a thing.

If Farah heeded the warnings, all the better.

If not, there was more truth to come out…later. Alette wasn’t intending to compromise the war with that truth. “Mmm, so then I get my ass kicked at 9pm instead of now?” Alette wasn’t sure how grand a compromise this really was. At least she had some energy now. Plus she’d have to trek back not long after that and take Aaravos back to Viren before the night was over – she assumed – which meant almost no time to actually talk to him, either.

She sighed regrettably and nudged them back towards Del Bar, stepping out of his hold in the process, “Sorry, Samir, I’d rather deal with it while there’s still sunlight – not because I don’t enjoy these little shenanigans,” she grinned, “but I do have work this evening. I’ve been making fireproofing potions.”

Not the hardest potion in the world, but it still took time. “We’re going to need a lot to deal with the dragons and Sunfire elves.” Sure, she could also make barriers, and she likely would since there was no way she could make enough potions for every soldier, but each one she could make would help.

~***~

Viren grinned, a bit, at the question, “Well, I am biased in favor of myself,” he answered, confirming he had indeed made the dinner since he’d had the time. When one could use dark magic to set up a camp, and cook, it did make things go faster, after all. There was no way he could have actually cooked a crumble the traditional way on a war march, in this time. Not without a lot of pre-preparation and luck.

He took his own seat, noted, “You can try the crumble first if you like, I’m not going to judge what a grown woman chooses to eat first.” And the crumble was still warm, though he didn’t go for it first. He didn’t want to muck up the flavors of the meat by eating a fruity sweet first, one that had little to do with how the meat itself had been flavored or cooked.

“I can guess you came up here to see me,” he noted, “and I am…appreciative,” no matter how things turned out. “I was wondering why you also brought Captain Yaseen and High Mage Samir, though.” Perhaps she couldn’t shake them, but he remembered comments about a tent. Was she having her tent set up in the Katolis camp?

He wasn’t opposed, but it was curious, and made him wonder at the size of the Evenere army again. He knew it wasn’t large, of course, and knew for that reason they were taking a more central position, with Neolandia and Del Bar closing things in, Katolis at the head.

“Or, what you told them your intentions were up here.” Perhaps he should also be wondering at those intentions.

“Would she really force you to train so late, when we have to continue moving so early?” Samir asked with a grimace. He wasn’t envious of her position one bit. Del Bar and their traditions always confused him.

He respected them. But he was happy to not celebrate them in any capacity.

But Alette seemed to want to go ahead and deal with it now, and Samir allowed her to step away from him. He wouldn’t fight her on that, and they would have plenty of time to talk in the near future.

“Alright,” he said with a grin, to show there were no hard feelings. There were things he could do as well to prepare for the upcoming battles. “I’ll let you do that, but don’t hesitate to come to me if you need anything else, such as complaining about the training,” he said with a chuckle.

“Training could be a useful skill to perfect,” Aaravos chimed in her ear. “It could lead to a surprise attack against an enemy, among many other reasons.” He remembered how she complained about the training she was forced to endure, the complaints nothing more than amusing to him.

“Of course, I don’t think I will be able to stay on your ear during this training.” No, he would fall off all too easily. Perhaps even get stepped on.

~~~

Viren confirmed for Farah that he indeed cooked again, a feat that couldn’t have been terribly easy given the nature of a war march, with or without magic. He took the time to do this and include her in it.

Farah was incredibly appreciative of the gesture, highlighted in her gaze and how she savored the first bite of the dinner. Dessert could wait, perhaps it would even taste better after indulging in the roasted meat and vegetables.

With the mention of her two friends accompanying her, Farah rolled her eyes. “I can’t go anywhere without an entourage following me.” It was completely not by her choice, but rather the caution of everyone close to the royal family of Evenere given how their previous monarch died.

She loved everyone, really, but sometimes it got too annoying.

“As Captain of the Crownguard, Yaseen tends to follow me everywhere, so when I can, I often send him on tasks that will take him a while, as he can be a bit…scatterbrained.” A nice way to put it. She loved Yaseen, but he could be a bit of a ditz. “And Samir…I think he was actually trying to find Alette.” Farah shrugged. She last saw him walking away with Alette, after all.

“As for what I told them my intentions were up here, I simply told them I needed to speak with you. They didn’t need any more details than that.” Or that she was actually there after an invitation to chess and possible dinner, which she relished.

Trisha would indeed force Alette to train, that went without question. And she’d be all the harsher for it, because Alette made her wait and stay up, when she could go about other things. Samir, however, didn’t seem inclined to accompany her on the walk back, and she opened her mouth to call after him as he went towards his own camp, before she sighed and shook her head.

‘Probably just an elaborate scheme to get me back to his tent.’ As if he needed an elaborate scheme. Well – he might with her mind so set on other things, if he wanted to work around what would have been a denial if he was straightforward about it. She chuckled to herself and decided to let him go.

Her mind was set anyways.

“No, I’ll put you in my tent for that. I have some questions for you afterwards, anyways, then I’ll get you back to Viren – and let me tell him what was going on, would you? I’ll probably tell him in the morning, he might be too worked up tonight.” Which, she couldn’t blame him for, but she could only deal with so much of his anger outright at once. “And I know Trisha means well, but she’s hopeless at training me to use a staff, and I’ve told her a thousand times I’ll never have a sword on me so that’s useless.”

Alette also just wasn’t a fan of fighting to begin with, so it just…didn’t work out, but she knew everyone’s hearts were in the right places. “It shouldn’t be too long that you’re all on your lonesome, my Starling.”

Nor too long to get back to the camp, where Trisha already had other soldiers going over drills. Alette just sighed at the sight and lifted her hand in defeat when Trisha looked her way, “Just one second,” she had to put Aaravos up, after all, and she slipped into her tent to do that.

~***~

“Aah,” Viren understood that, he supposed. His ascent to kingship was…nontraditional. That his son was a crownguard perhaps also helped some of the usual irritation he might face, not that his son wasn’t an irritant at times. He also had no need of another mage, but his daughter fit right in when that was called for. Even so, he didn’t have an irksome entourage, despite what happened to Harrow and Sarai.

That he wasn’t related to them may have also been another reason.

“I suppose that is one trapping of nobility I am pleased to have avoided all of my life,” and would continue to avoid where he could. “I do understand about Yaseen. Roles such as crownguard seem to attract those sorts to their positions, which is not a bad thing. There are many types of people, and many sorts of roles in this world.”

And Soren fit his role very well. Viren was very aware of how necessary these roles were. They were marching to war, after all. How he wished all the soldiers could be like Soren! Alas, some…well…some thought themselves a bit smarter than all that, and let that thinking get in the way of what could have otherwise been greatness.

“I suppose you are right. There is nothing omitted in that which they needed to know,” he easily accepted that answer. It was as true as it was evasive. “It sounds like you know both fairly well, though, so I imagine it is more than noble trappings and even your losses that keep them close to you.”

“Ah, more questions. I am not surprised, and I will do my best to answer them to your satisfaction.” But Aaravos wouldn’t promise that he would actually answer them completely, as she would want. There are many things that she couldn’t or shouldn’t know about, and things that she will learn in the future, like Viren will.

But Aaravos understood that answering some questions now would help with building that trust, a trust he needed for future plans. So some questions would indeed be answered.

And apparently she also wanted to be the one to tell Viren what was going on that evening. “No worries, you have my word that I will not say anything to him about this evening,” he promised. Besides, he would like to see how that interaction played out.

Oh, the man would not be happy.

They entered her tent, and Aaravos chuckled. “If you don’t have a sword on you, a knife could be a useful backup at the very least. But do try not to leave me alone in here for too long. I can’t exactly read in here.” He could read in his prison, but that was beside the point. There was no one to amuse him when she would go away for her training.

~~~

Being born into nobility, while it certainly had many perks, also had many downsides, such as the lack of privacy, and just…the general ability to go anywhere without someone watching. But Farah was glad that those who did follow her were people she could fully trust with her life, as they all knew each other on a deeply personal level.

At the mention of Yaseen and Samir knowing her deeper than through noble trappings and her losses, she gave a small smile and a nod. “You would be right. As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve known Samir for more than two decades now, and over those years, we’ve grown very close.” Including some time spent as more than just friends, but Viren hardly needed to know that.

“And I’ve known Yaseen since he first joined our royal guards when he was sixteen. He was close friends with both my brother and my husband, so our own friendship was almost inevitable.” She softly smiled as she briefly reminisced their earlier years together, all of them joking and causing mischief.

Memories she will never get to recreate. But there was the future to look forward to. She had to, or else she may just drive herself insane.

Taking the subject off of her, Farah asked Viren, “You may have avoided the trappings of nobility, but it sounds like you’ve been involved in the noble life for quite some time. How long did you and King Harrow know one another?”

Alette gave a sigh of relief as Aaravos agreed not to tell Viren anything and give her the opportunity to clear it up. “Thank you,” she said, “I’ll be back as soon as I can be,” that kind of depended on Trisha. “Sorry I can’t set you up with a book then – try to stay out of trouble.” Somehow, she knew that was asking too much.

Not that she knew what kind of trouble a worm could cause, but somehow it could.

She left him on her desk, the room otherwise barren. Well, not barren. There were trunks, not unpacked, of course. Those of Del Bar knew better than to go opening a mage’s trunks, a lesson Alette couldn’t claim to really know or follow given her penchant for breaking into a mage’s study. There wouldn’t be much for Aaravos to see, though. A bed, a desk, and the trunks – and the staff, which was taken out of the room, along with her bag that carried the primal stone.

It would be a little over half an hour before Alette returned, riding gear in disarray from too many times hitting the ground, and the knee busted on her right knee where a bloody scrape showed. The other wounds weren’t bloody, but her right hip was definitely complaining as was the shoulder on the same side.

Not that she let her diminished mood show as she stepped into her tent, “Ignes Fatui,” she spoke as soon as she stepped in, moving her hand to create the draconic rune. Out of the sun stone came five hovering lights that went to the sides of her tent with a gesture, not catching the canvas on fire. “Much better,” she sighed, and tossed the bag onto her bed before going to one of her trunks and starting to pull out books, and parchment, so she could begin finishing up the lists of ingredients she needed collected, and returning to the desk with them, and then offered her arm for Aaravos to climb up, “Sorry about that wait,” she’d let him get situated before she went back to another trunk to find a balm. The wounds were nothing, really, but they hurt, and the open one could fester, so she had to make sure it didn’t. “What chaos did you cause while I was gone?”

~***~

‘So young.’ Viren knew it wasn’t abnormal, but having seen his own son do it gave him a new perspective on what these children were experiencing. Yaseen was now older than that, obviously, but he had no doubt been hardened more than needed through his time in that service. At least he’d been in good company, it seemed.

He didn’t know much about Farah’s husband, but he wanted to assume he’d been…well, good. He was dead, Viren didn’t need to wish him any ill will. Not like his ex-wife. “Ah yes, the fact we all must be friends with our family’s friends…at least somewhat,” he chuckled at that agreeably. Perhaps it was a bit…well, sad, that Claudia hadn’t had too many friends. Soren had several within the Crownguard and among the regular guards of Katolis, as well as the princes.

Claudia was a bit…well…picky wasn’t the right word, but Viren wasn’t sure what it was. Plenty of people liked Claudia but she was so reserved about actually having friends to hang out with and do things with. She clung to him and Soren too much.

“Oh, I’ve known King Harrow since we were children.” Viren answered. He was a bit older than Harrow, but they had both been in the same circles. “I think my curiosity and his penchant for mischief made us fast friends in our youth, and our paths growing up kept us close for many years.” Viren became High Mage before Harrow was King, but he retained the position when Harrow became King, of course.

There was even a portrait of them….

He didn’t know if he’d ever be able to look at it again.

“He did learn to accept his guards, though it helped he married one of them,” Sarai, after all, had been quite the warrior. “Still, I know it’s tedious at times, no matter how well-meaning they are. I don’t envy your position.” Even if he held the same, it was…different. Markedly.

Aaravos did spend a few minutes just looking around the room from the spot Alette set him down on. Crawling around would take too long, and it was a tent. There wasn’t much to see, and he couldn’t lift lids and such in this form without another person there, to either possess or simply see if they would lift the lid.

Oh but possessing was much more fun.

As there was nothing else to do in the tent while Alette was away, Aaravos spent the time relaxing, thinking, seeing how his plans were coming together, and figuring out any unexpecting surprise could easily fit back into the grand scheme. There was much to contemplate, but he still had full confidence in everything, and in those he sought out for assistance.

He could hear Alette returning before she actually came inside, and Aaravos refocused on the present. He studied how she looked, appearance disheveled in and disarray from her training session. No, she definitely didn’t know how to fight well if she looked like that after a brief session.

“Oh, nothing more than just a little mayhem here and there,” he answered, and if Alette could see him, she would see the smirk on his face as he teased. “I see that you were very productive at training today. Learn anything new?”

~~~

Farah knew that Viren and Harrow had been close friends, but she hadn’t quite known that they had been friends since childhood. One curious, one mischievous, it was easy to see how they quickly would become friends, with the fact that they ran in similar circles only aiding that friendship.

She chuckled, finishing off her last bite of dinner. “Oh, I wouldn’t envy my position either.” Even if she found love amongst the guards as King Harrow had, she still couldn’t imagine the situation being that much better.

Dessert called for her, so Farah helped herself to some of the dragonberry crumble that she had been wanting to try since they walked inside the tent. The flavors burst in her mouth, and she couldn’t help the low moan as she tasted the new flavors of the unfamiliar dragonberry, all thoughts of their previous topic now gone.

Realizing the noise she made, Farah felt her cheeks heat up, and she looked down in an attempt to hide the blush. “This is very good,” she said with a chuckle, taking another bite. She would definitely have to go home back to Evenere with the recipe and some dragonberries. “I don’t suppose you’re going to cook like this everyday.” If so, she would practically demand him to continue to include her on dinner plans. Almost like a date.

Alette chuckled at the initial response of just a bit of mayhem, before huffing at the training statement. It was inevitable, and she knew it. “I learned leather is not as dense as I hoped it would be, and that I prefer grass to rocky ground,” Alette supposed the latter would have been obvious to anyone, and it was, but it was a whole new thing to experience it! Not a good thing, either, as she grabbed the balm and went back to her desk. She still had water at her desk from earlier, so she poured a bit of that into her hands to rinse them of dirt and stone, before doing the same with her knee.

“I’m a healer, not a fighter, Aaravos.” Not even where magic was concerned, although she was fairly sure she’d kick Trisha’s ass with magic, if only she was allowed to use it. It’d be nice, just once, to show her she knew something useful in combat.

The wound was larger than the hole in the riding leathers. That was expected but annoying. She’d just sat down, and now she had to stand back up to get out of the damn leathers. Oh well, she wanted to dress down anyways, and mostly forgot (well, didn’t consider – the glamour also made her forget to mind much, since that was the job of the glamour, to make her not feel threatened when looked upon) that Aaravos was something more than a worm as off slipped the leathers on her way to the trunk with clothes.

Despite literally asking him next, “So I wanted to ask you – I had a dream a couple of nights ago with you. At least, I think it was with you, and not just…about you.” A difference, because with implied he shared the dream. Having a dream about him just meant she’d imagined him, but it didn’t feel like that.

She found her night clothes and slipped on the top portion, taking the bottoms with her back to her desk to slip on after she’d treated the wound, “Was that you? Is that something you can do?”

~***~

No, no, there was no disguising the bit of a smirk that crossed Viren’s lips at Farah’s very…audible reaction to the crumble. Her additional blush and embarrassment only made it that much sweeter, and he couldn’t quite contain the low chuckle that escaped him as she tried to clear that embarrassment with words of how good it was.

He couldn’t help but wonder at other ways he could create that sound again, without food. ‘Oh, you’re in deep.’ He had already figured that out, thanks to everyone else noticing. He supposed it wasn’t exactly subtle to take breakfast to someone, and then continue to find reasons to linger with them.

Still, was it such a bad thing? He knew what he’d done, but it hadn’t been personal!

“I do intend to cook like this every day,” even if Farah hadn’t been there, he would have continued for Soren and Claudia, but he decided not to add that detail this time. He’d rather her not consider that, and just consider the delicious food that could be waiting for her every day.

“You are certainly free to join me each day, if you would like. It is the one break I get in the day,” and not all of those would be long. He knew as they got closer to Xadia, he and the other monarchs would have official business to go over in the evenings, before or after dinner, so they were well prepared for what was ahead.

“I’m sure you could use the break, as well,” and so long as things were patched up with Alette, there shouldn’t be anymore arguments to make her think this was a terrible idea. Ideally, she’d forget it ever happened, thanks to the delicious tastes of the desserts and other foods. “And your company is quite welcomed, especially if it continues to praise my cooking,” he chuckled, “My children have grown too used to it to offer much praise anymore.”

Okay, a small aside about the kids.

He was glad they could take it for granted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back