• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Dragon Age: Tainted Promises (Open)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
OOC: Recruitment Thread.

IC: Waves crashed against the cliffs as the three riders made their way along the coast. The winds coming in off the seas were harsh. It's bitter cold biting at their skin and whipping their cloaks about them. A storm was on the horizon, heralded by dark clouds that blanketed the sky. They rode to the edge of the cliff, the lead rider pulling up just short of the ledge. Lord Echryn Ducant leaned over his horse to gaze at the waves below. Echryn's second son Darius rode up alongside him with his adopted ward, Brandon Connors.

"Was this really necessary, Father? It's bloody cold," Darius complained. He had to shout his words to be heard above the wind.

"War between the city-states means deserters and bandits," Echryn explained, repeating his words from earlier. "A routine check of the grounds is necessary."

Darius sighed. "Couldn't we just send the captain of the guard?"

"A Lord doesn't shy away from his responsibilities, Darius. You would do well to remember that after I'm gone."

The younger man groaned but said nothing further. Echryn turned his horse and spurred it into a canter, leading the other two riders along the cliff's edge. The Ducant family were minor nobles in the Free Marches. They owned a small estate just a short distance away from Hercinia along the Amaranthine coast. They paid taxes to Hercinia for owning the land, but since there was no central government in the Free Marches they were largely left to govern themselves. Aside from Hercinian tax-collectors there was little to worry about. That is unless war happened to break out between the larger city-states.

Desertion was a common affair in war. Lord Echryn himself had personally turned in over a dozen deserters to the Hircinian government. Fortunately, it was beginning to appear that would not be necessary this time. They were nearing the end of their patrol and had yet to encounter a single person. They rode along the cliff's edge until the land began to slope down toward a sandy beach.

Suddenly Brandon cried out. "What's that," he shouted, pointing ahead of them at some debris that had washed ashore. There were fires burning, smoke rising into the sky.

Lord Echryn kicked his horse into a gallop, the other two did the same. The three riders raced along the beach until they came within sight of the wreckage of an unmarked ship. They pulled their horses up short then dismounted, approaching the wreckage on foot. Echryn drew his sword, followed by Darius and Brandon. There were bodies strewn about all along the shore, some burned, others riddled with arrows. Echryn directed his sons to look for survivors as he knelt down next to one of the bodies and pulled an arrow from it. The fletching was rough, the arrowhead barbed. He did not recognize its make and was unable to place its origin.

As he rolled the body over to examine the man's face he heard his son Brandon calling out to him. "Over here," he cried, "Quickly now! This one's alive!"

The other two hurried over to meet him and found him leaning over the body of a young girl. She couldn't have been much older than Brandon, maybe about sixteen? Seventeen? Her clothes were torn from her rough ordeal, but she had no visible injuries.

"Help me get her onto my horse," Echryn said, reaching down to lift the girl.

The other two scrambled to help him, Darius helping to shoulder the girl's weight while Brandon ran back to retrieve the horses. Once the girl was loaded onto the back of Echryn's horse the three of them rode directly back to the estate. Once through the gates of the keep, Echryn immediately called out for a physician. The girl was taken inside to be tended to while Darius and the others brought their horses to the stables. A short while later the two brothers were sitting together in the large common room inside the estate while their father stood nearby staring into the fire.

"Who do you think she is," Brandon asked suddenly, breaking the tense silence between them.

Darius shrugged. "Probably a young peasant girl from Orlais."

Brandon gave him a quizzical look.

"Red hair," he explained. "Question is, what are we going to do with her when she wakes?"

"I'll discuss that with your mother," Echryn answered, interrupting them. "The two of you should turn in for the night. It's late and you both have an early day tomorrow."

"Yes, Father," the boys said in unison as they turned to leave.

Echryn turned his gaze back to the flames, his thoughts lingering on that strange arrow. Were there pirates in the Waking Sea attacking merchant vessels traveling out from Orlais? He shook his head. No, the ship flew no colors. A smuggling ship, perhaps? He had too many questions and not enough answers. All he could do now was wait...

Riley stirred a bit as she began to regain consciousness. She was distantly aware of a pair of voices conversing quietly, a man and a woman. She did not recognize either. As she moved her body she could feel a sharp pain in her side and all at once memories of the attack came flooding back. With a start she sat bolt upright in the bed, startling the other two occupants in the room.

"Easy there, easy," an older man said, quickly rushing to her side. "You're safe now, don't be afraid."

He gently nudged her back into bed and Riley quietly complied. When she was relaxed he leaned over her, gazing into her eyes. "Do you remember anything," he asked.

Visions of arrows falling from the sky came unbidden to her mind. She could hear fighting all around her, swords ringing, hammers bashing, shields splintering. All of it punctuated by the crystal clear image of a monstrous humanoid climbing onto the deck. She forced those thoughts aside then quietly shook her head. She had no desire to answer questions about her desperate flight from Ferelden.

The man frowned. "Unfortunate," he said, finishing his examination before stepping away from the bed.

Another face appeared leaning over her, a young woman perhaps slightly younger than herself. "Good morning, my name is Katlyn Ducant," she said, "Old grumpy puss over there is Farrid. You're on my father's estate. My brother's found you among the wreckage on the coast. You're lucky to be alive."

Funny, I don't feel lucky, Riley thought, keenly aware of the pain that wracked her body. Fortunately, she had enough wherewithal to restrain herself from saying it out loud.

"What's your name," the girl continued.

Riley sighed and turned her head away. "Riley," she said, her voice sounding hoarse. "Riley Reid."

Katlyn smiled. "A pleasure to meet you, Riley. Farrid's gonna take good care of you and when you're well enough to walk my father would like to speak with you."

The old man came back holding a goblet that he handed to Katlyn. "Here," she said, "drink this."

She held the cup to Riley's lips, placing a hand on the girl's shoulder to steady her as she drank. The concoction tasted vile, Riley wanted to spit it up but Katlyn made sure she drank every drop.

"The herbs will help you sleep," the young Ducant explained. "I'll be back tonight to check on you."

Then she stood, spoke a few soft words to Farrid before handing him the goblet and leaving the room. The old man set the cup down on a nearby table before returning to the bed. He said something, but Riley couldn't quite make out what it was as a wave of drowsiness washed over her. The old physician gently tucked her back into the bed as she drifted off to sleep...

"Maker's breath," Riley swore as the arrow missed its mark. The doe, frightened by the passage of the deadly projectile, skittered off into the underbrush out of sight. She was still swearing by the time Darius caught up with her.

"Woah now, a few more words like that and Father might mistake you for a Ferelden sailor."

"I almost had it," she insisted, nocking another arrow in her bow. "Come on, let's go find another."

"Slow down there, Red," Darius said as he reached down to retrieve the arrow from her bow. "It's already getting late and Father will tan our hides if we're not back before sundown."

"But--," she tried to say.

"No buts," he said, interrupting her. "Now go."

Riley groaned in annoyance but obediently followed her elder foster brother back to the horses. It had been two months since the day she woke up on the Ducant estate. Feigning that she had little memory of where she came from or why her ship was destroyed Lord Echryn eventually decided to adopt her as his own. Much to the objection of his wife, Lady Marcella Ducant. Who was, as Riley had later found out, actually his second wife after his first had passed from an unexpected illness. The same illness that currently afflicted Lord Echryn's eldest son, Byron. The boy was currently bedridden while being attended to by Farrid, but there were times when he was feeling well enough to speak.

Having seen what the illness had done to his wife, Lord Echryn had little hope that his son would recover, so he made the heart-wrenching decision to groom Darius as his heir. The rest of the family still held out hope, but deep down Riley suspected they all knew eventually Byron would die. It made for some rather uncomfortable conversations at times, but aside from that living on the Ducant estate hadn't been all that bad. Katlyn was ecstatic to finally have a sister and her three brothers had all been very welcoming. Byron could only offer conversation during times when he was feeling lucid enough to manage it. Darius, though, would often take her hunting while Brandon instructed her in the use of the sword, despite the fact that he too was being instructed.

Riley learned soon after waking that Brandon was actually the son of a Ferelden noble. His father was a friend of the family who sent his son to the Ducant estate to train to become a squire. Most of his day was spent in the courtyard either practicing with the captain of the guard, tending the horses, or mending the armor of the other knights. His duties kept him so busy that Riley barely had any time to speak with him since waking up. For the past two months, she spent most of her time with Katlyn when she wasn't out hunting with Darius.

The pair rode their horses through the forest out onto the plains. They could see the keep on the horizon, perched upon a hilltop surrounded by wildflowers. The vibrant colors covering the hill somehow seemed accentuated by the dull grey of the castle walls. Riley spent a great deal of time on those slopes. Collecting wildflowers was one of Katlyn's favorite pastimes and she would often drag her along to go craft bouquets. Sometimes as early as sunrise, much to Riley's dismay. She wasn't much of a morning person and would rather have preferred more masculine pursuits, but she indulged her younger sister all the same.

As they rode through the gates of the keep into the courtyard a pair of Elven servants awaited them. Darius dismounted first, handing the reins of his horse to one of the servants without uttering a single word. The other servant stepped forward to take the reins of Riley's horse after the girl had dismounted but Riley refused.

"It's all right, I'll take care of it," she said.

The Elf woman looked nervous. "Mistress, please," she begged.

Riley's expression soured. "You know I don't like it when you wait on me."

"It's the Master's orders," the Elf insisted, anxiously shifting her gaze between her and her elder brother.

Riley cast a sidelong glance at Darius. The boy watched her with a curious twinkle in his eye but said nothing. Finally, she handed over the reins to the Elf, averting her eyes at the same time. The pair of Elves quickly scurried off to lead the horses back to the stables. Once they had gone Darius finally spoke up.

"You coddle them too much," he said, "They're just Elves."

"Elves are people too, Darius, and I don't like the way they're treated."

He shrugged. "Better here than the alienage in Hircinia. We may not have much respect for them, but we treat them better than most."

"That doesn't make it better," she muttered under her breath.

Darius smiled then reached out to brush a lock of her red hair from her face. "You have a good heart," he said, "but your aim is terrible. We'll have to change your name to Riley Reid the Slayer of Trees."

"Shut up," she said, punching him lightly in the chest. "You know damn well that bow is too heavy for me."

He gave her a look of feigned surprise. "Oh, so it's the bow's fault now? Next you'll be blaming the wind."

"Darius--," she began, but she was interrupted by the sound of Katlyn calling out to her.

"Riley, you're back! Quick, come with me," she said, racing over to grab the girl by the wrist.

"W--wait," Riley said, but Katlyn was already tugging her over to the other side of the courtyard where a crowd had gathered around a makeshift arena.

Several members of the guard and a few of Lord Echryn's knights were standing around a wooden circle watching as two combatants fought. The two girls joined them and Riley followed their gaze to the center where she saw Brandon, clad head to toe in armor, squaring off against a knight from a foreign land. He currently stood with his back to her so she was unable to see what heraldry he wore. The two traded blows with Brandon moving in aggressively, forcing his opponent back. His skill with a blade had improved quite a bit in the short time Riley had known him, but even so, she could tell his opponent was simply biding his time. At one point Brandon over-extended himself. He lunged forward, stabbing at his opponent but the older man simply stepped to the side before slapping the boy on the back with the flat of his blade.

As the knight finally turned to face her Riley's entire body went cold. She recognized the markings of the Chantry on his armor, the man was a Templar. She shrank back away from the circle, barely making it two steps before Katlyn grabbed her by the arm.

"Where are you going? Stay," she said, pulling her back to the edge of the ring.

"Why is there a Templar here," Riley whispered, trying her best to ignore the rapid pounding in her chest.

"He came to speak with Father," Katlyn explained, "He said they were searching for a fugitive mage."

Riley felt her knees buckle but somehow managed to keep herself upright. "What did father tell him?"

"That he hadn't seen any mages," she said with a shrug, "Then he invited the Templar to stay for dinner but he declined."

Small favors, Riley thought, relieved that the Templar wasn't staying. Still, she would rather be anywhere else but here.

Katlyn gave her a curious look. "Are you all right? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Um, yea. I'm fine. I'm just--worried about Brandon," she lied.

The younger girl gave her a sympathetic look. "It's perfectly safe," she assured her, "The blades are blunted and they're wearing armor. At most he might get a few bruises."

Riley silently nodded then turned her attention back to the arena. The fight continued as the two opponents danced around each other. After that slap on the back Brandon had decided to change his approach. He watched the other man carefully, searching his movements for some kind of opening. When he attacked he did so only when he was certain he could defend himself.

"The boy learns quick," one of the knights standing beside them said.

"Yea, but the Templar's still toying with him," another commented.

Katlyn turned to look at him. "Are you saying Brandon can't beat him?"

The knight's face blanched. "Milady," he exclaimed, shifting his weight a bit to give her an awkward bow. When he straightened he nervously glanced between her and the fight. Finally, after a moment's hesitation, he turned to her and said, "I'm afraid not, Milady. The gap in their skill is far too great."

Katlyn looked concerned. "Oh Brandon," she said, turning her gaze back to the battle.

Just then Lord Echryn Ducant emerged from the manor house holding a letter. He approached the circle and halted the battle, beckoning Brandon over to him. The boy lowered his sword and took off his helmet. He seemed disappointed, shifting his gaze from Lord Echryn to the Templar and back. Finally, he hurried over to Echryn's side. The older man handed the boy the letter and as he read it his shoulders visibly slumped. He dropped his sword and his helmet, letting them fall free into the dirt. Then he quietly thanked Lord Echryn before turning to leave the circle.

Katlyn hurried over to him to find out what was wrong, but she was stopped by her father. "Leave him be," he said.

"But why? What happened?"

"We just received news that King Cailan of Ferelden has been killed at Ostagar," he explained as Riley came up beside them. "His father and older brothers were with him at the battle. Shortly after his family's estate was attacked, his lands razed. His mother along with her three daughters were killed."

Katlyn looked inconsolable. She leaned heavily against the wooden fence, one hand gripping her blouse just over her heart. "Who did this? Who attacked them?"

Echryn shook his head. "We don't know yet. Details of the battle are sketchy. We know that Cailan took the bulk of his army to Ostagar to fight some kind of enemy, but we've been unable to determine which nation marches on Ferelden. Or even why they were attacking from so far south."

Riley looked away, trying her best to remain unnoticed. She knew full well what it was that had attacked Ferelden. She had barely survived it. That was a memory she hoped to forget.

"Ser Tristian," Echryn called out to the Templar. "Thank you for training the boy."

"The pleasure was all mine, my Lord," the man said with a bow. He had his helmet removed now revealing a rather handsome-looking face. The kind of face any girl might swoon for. He quickly exited the arena and joined them outside the ring. As he approached his gaze turned to Riley. "Oh? And who's this," he asked, "I don't believe we've been introduced."

Echryn gently wrapped his arm around Riley's shoulders. "This is my ward, Riley Reid," he said.

Riley winced slightly at her father's touch and avoided making eye contact with the Templar. "A bit shy, it seems," the man noted. "I'm not familiar with the name, however. Is she a noble from Orlais?"

Echryn shook his head. "Quite the opposite, in fact. We found her in a wreckage that had washed ashore. The ship looked like it had come from Ferelden. Unfortunately, that's all we've been able to determine since Riley has no memory of the attack."

"Truly," Tristian said, giving her a sympathetic look. "Then you have my deepest sympathies for your tragedy."

"Thank you," Riley said quietly, still unable to meet his gaze.

"Well, I'm afraid I must depart," the man said, tucking his helmet under his arm. "This has been a wonderful distraction, but my brothers and I must continue the search. If you should see this man I would advise you not to approach him recklessly. He is extremely dangerous. Send word to the Chantry in Hircinia and we will ride to your assistance with haste."

"I appreciate the warning, Good Ser," Echryn replied.

The Templar snapped his feet together and bowed to him. "My Lord," he said, then he did the same for Katlyn. "My Lady."

As he turned to leave he paused a moment to cast one last glance over his shoulder at Riley. The girl was a strange one indeed, but she hardly seemed threatening. He called to a nearby servant then left to retrieve his horse. After he had gone Riley finally allowed herself to relax. He came here looking for a male wizard, not me, she told herself. That was a huge relief. She was beginning to like living here and would have hated having to leave. The Ducant family really made her feel like one of their own, which was something she hadn't felt in a long time. Not since the Templars of Ferelden killed her family.

Originally, the Chantry had come for her father, but when they discovered the daughter had magic as well they tried to take her too. That was when her mother fought back. She grabbed a sword and attacked them, her strikes glancing harmlessly off their armor. She failed to kill any of them, but that didn't stop them from running her through. Seeing his wife die in front of him her father seethed with anger, turning the spirit of compassion that inhabited his body into a demon of hatred. His last human act was to order her to flee just before he became an abomination. The fight that followed was enough for her to get away, but the memory of her father's face, twisted and grotesque, would stick with her for the rest of her life.

"Take Katlyn inside," Echryn said, breaking the silence that had fallen between them. "I will go have a talk with Brandon."

Riley nodded, gently nudging Katlyn towards the manor house. As they left she glanced over her shoulder at Brandon, who was sitting under an awning with his face buried in his knees. She knew a little something about what it felt like to lose your family and could sympathize with him. But since she was pretending to have amnesia Lord Echryn was really the best person to talk to him. Her job now was to deal with a sobbing Katlyn. She gently pat the younger girl on the back as they walked, wondering just what the hell she was going to say to her...

Last edited:
Two days had passed since news of King Cailan's death had arrived. Reports were still trickling in, but due to the distances involved the news was almost two months behind. The first reports of the Blight had come in the day before, as well as news that two Grey Wardens had survived the Battle of Ostagar. Since then the family had been waiting with bated breath for more reports about the Blight's progress. The atmosphere around the estate was tense. Brandon kept mostly to himself avoiding everyone except for Katlyn, who followed him around like a lost puppy. Darius meanwhile spent most of his time with his father in the study pouring over reports from Ferelden. Byron was still laid up in bed so that left Riley to fend for herself.

To fill the time she volunteered to help Farrid with Byron. The older man siezed the opportunity to instruct her in the uses of certain herbs but was surprised to find out the girl already possessed some knowledge on the subject. Since Byron was feeling a little better today Farrid permitted him a short walk through the gardens. Riley accompanied him, providing a shoulder for him to lean on should he need it.

As they walked he turned to look at her. "I'm sorry you got roped into this."

Riley shook her head. "It's all right, I volunteered for this."

"Still," he said, managing a shrug, "I bet you'd rather be out gathering flowers with Katlyn than carrying me around."

She made a face. "Actually, no. Katlyn took the news about Brandon's family almost as hard as he did. Sitting alone with those two in a room right now is rather--uncomfortable."

Byron chuckled lightly to himself. "Yeah, I suppose it would be."

The two walked in silence after that, winding their way through the gardens. The flowers were in full bloom this season and the sweet scent of gardenias filled the air. The path led them to the center of the garden where a beautifully sculpted fountain stood. There they found a stone bench to sit on, allowing Byron to catch his breath while taking in the vibrant splash of colors all around them.

"Is Darius with father again," he asked, shortly after he was settled.

Riley was surprised by this sudden change in topic. "They've spent the last two days together in the study."

"Pouring over reports from Ferelden, no doubt. I guess that means Father has chosen a new heir." He sighed, his voice subdued. "I suppose it was inevitable, I won't be around for long."

"Don't say that," Riley admonished him, "You could still recover from this."

He smiled, but there was still a sadness behind his eyes. "I appreciate that, Riley, but I've seen this all before. My mother was laid up in bed for months before she passed. Nothing worked for her. Herbs were ineffective, the best healers from Orlais were stumped. Even the Circle of Magi couldn't find a cure."

"That doesn't mean there isn't one," she insisted.

He squeezed her shoulder. "It's all right," he assured her, "I'm just glad to know that after I'm gone my family will be in good hands. Darius is a smart lad, smarter than I. He'll make a good Lord."

Riley fell silent and looked away. It pained her to have this conversation. She had only known Byron for a short time and even then her interactions with him were limited to a few brief periods of lucidity. So why did it hurt so much to hear him accept the finality of his illness?

"He talks about you a lot, you know," he continued. "Calls you his anchor. Says whenever he's feeling overwhelmed you're always there to steady him."

She looked surprised. I thought I was just his hunting buddy. "He really shouldn't give me so much credit. I don't actually do all that much."

"I think just being there is enough for him," he said. "I'm glad Father decided to make you a part of this family. Darius will need you in the times to come."

A shadow passed over her face. Sure, but for how long? The Chantry won't lose me forever. "It's probably better for everyone if you don't get attached to me."

Byron appeared confused. "Why? Are you going somewhere?"

She shook her head. "No, it's just... Never mind," she said, staring at the ground.

Her elder foster brother gave her a sympathetic look. "Riley, whatever terrors you've seen or hardships you've endured, you'll need someone to help you through it. Darius could be that for you, and Katlyn too. You don't have to be alone anymore."

She wiped a tear from her eye then stood, turning her gaze skyward. When she saw how far the sun had risen she turned back to Byron and held a hand out for him. "I should get you back into bed," she said, "Farrid will tan my hide if I keep you out too long."

Byron nodded and let her help him back to his feet. Then he leaned on her arm as they began their long trek back to his room...

Last edited:
The morning had a somber feeling to it. Most of the family were in seclusion while the house servants kept their heads down. Everyone was keenly aware the Blight in Ferelden was getting worse but no one was talking about it. Darius had finally been permitted some free time away from the study, which he immediately decided to spend hunting. He knocked at Riley's door, waking her up at the crack of dawn. She was still rubbing the sleep from her eyes when she opened the door and found him standing outside. He had a bow in one hand, a quiver of arrows slung over one shoulder.

"Come on," he said, "Let's go catch something."

Riley yawned then nodded. "Alright, I'll just need a minute."

She closed the door to get dressed before grabbing her gear and following him out to the stables. The ride to the edge of the wood was short. Darius spoke very little the whole way, he seemed distracted by something. Probably something to do with the reports from Ferelden. Either that or he was concerned about his brother's health. Eventually, Riley's curiosity had hit its peak. They'd ridden a short distance into the forest before dismounting and tying up their horses.

Once the horse's reins were secured she turned to him. "Is everything alright? You haven't spoken since we left."

Darius sighed. "The last report we received from Ferelden brought news that the Southron Hills and Bannorn were overrun," he said, turning around and leading her into the woods. "The Blight is spreading unchecked and unchallenged. To make matters worse there still has been no report of the two remaining Grey Wardens from Ferelden."

Riley fell silent. Southron and Bannorn were right in the heartland of Ferelden. If the Blight had already spread that far then things were far worse than she thought. Just how much time did they have left before the darkspawn reached the Free Marches? Would she be forced to uproot her life once again?

A root she didn't see caught her foot causing her to stumble. Darius was quick to catch her, wrapping an arm around her waist before she could fall. "Are you alright," he asked.

"Um, yea," Riley answered. There was a brief, uncomfortable pause before she said, "Um... You can let me go now."

Darius' cheeks flushed when he realized his mistake and he quickly separated from her. "Anyway," he continued, coughing lightly into his hand. "Let's see if we can improve your aim a little bit, eh?"

She punched his arm but said nothing, causing him to laugh. The conversation died down after that. Darius motioned for her to fan out a bit so they could cover more ground. She did so, trying her best to keep him in view. The forest was quiet but relaxed. A nice change from the melancholic atmosphere of the manor. A gentle breeze rustled the leaves overhead as the joyous melody of songbirds filled the air. Riley kept her eyes on the brush ahead, searching for any indication of movement.

After a short distance, she heard a sharp whistle from Darius. He gestured ahead of them to a small thicket where Riley saw a doe poking her head out from the brush. This time, she thought, nocking an arrow in her bow. She took a deep breath, relaxing her shoulders a bit before drawing the string. Sighting down the arrow she took careful aim at the doe, her breathing measured. Then a sudden noise stirred up a flock of birds, frightening the deer. She let the arrow loose but missed her target as the animal scurried off deeper into the forest.

"Looks like you missed again, Red," Darius said as he came closer. "Maybe I should take the lead on the next one."

Riley shook her head. "That wasn't me, something spooked it."

He shrugged. "Well, it couldn't have got far. I'll range out this way and you head in that direction. We'll make a circle and catch it in the middle."

The girl nodded then the two of them separated, heading out in different directions. Along the way she kept an eye out for whatever it was that scared the deer. It wasn't until she lost sight of Darius that she realized something. The forest had grown quiet, quieter than it was before. The birds that were singing had stopped now. Even the wind seemed to be holding its breath. Suddenly on alert, she drew an arrow from her quiver, setting it to the string. Something wasn't right. She froze in place, her eyes darting this way and that searching for signs of danger. A flash of movement caught her attention. She spun around, drawing her bow in the same motion only to have the weapon torn from her grasp by an invisible force. The arrow shot harmlessly off into the trees, ricocheting off a rock somewhere in the distance.

There was a man standing before her. He had a rugged face, half-hidden under a long beard. His robe was tattered and patched in places, his hair greying. He had deep, dark bags under his eyes as though he hadn't slept in days. "You're him," she muttered under her breath, still loud enough for him to hear in the eery silence. "You're the apostate."

"I am," he answered simply. "It is unfortunate that such a lovely thing must be sacrificed but I am in need of your blood."

He took two steps toward her but stopped when she didn't shy away. "You're not afraid of me," he observed, watching her carefully.

Riley turned her palm outward to him, preparing to cast a spell. A knowing smile cracked his lips. "Oh, I see. You're a mage as well. Living with that family, I suppose," he said, nodding his head in the direction of Lord Echryn's estate. "Do they know what you are?"

The girl said nothing, which prompted a throaty laugh from the mage. "Oh, this is rich! Should I tell them for you? We could do it together."

Anger flashed across her face as the temperature began to rise, distorting the air around her. The older man fixed her with a critical stare. "Do you intend to fight me, girl? I would advise against it, what you see before you is no mere mage. I was a magister of Tevinter once. Adonis Valexia," he said with a slight bow. "Before I was humiliated and disgraced I was counted among the greatest of mages in the Imperium. I may have fallen on hard times now, but I could still dispatch you with relative ease."

At that Riley's posture relaxed and the intense heat that had been building up around her simmered down to nothing. Adonis smiled. "There, that's better. After all, a civil conversation is preferable."

He stepped closer to her, circling around behind her and grabbing a fistful of her hair. He inhaled deeply before letting go. "I'm willing to make you an offer," he continued. "Help me subdue that boy you arrived with so that I may siphon his blood. Do that and I will happily take you as my apprentice. I will share with you arcane secrets that are beyond your imagining."

Riley's fists clenched when he mentioned taking Darius' blood. "Sod off," she snapped.

The magister scowled. "Such unruliness. I offer you the world and you dare throw it back in my face?"

He made a gesture with his hand forcing the girl to her knees, unable to breathe and writhing in pain. "Perhaps I should take your blood instead!"

Just then an arrow whizzed out from the trees, striking Adonis in the shoulder. He howled in agony, whipping around and fleeing into the woods. Riley felt air returning to her lungs again. She inhaled sharply, her body wracked in a fit of coughing. Shortly after Darius was at her side, a wild look in his eyes.

"Are you alright," he cried. When she didn't immediately respond he panicked. "Riley! Say something!"

She grabbed his shoulder, leaning heavily against him. With a bit of effort, she lifted her head a bit to nod. "I'm fine," she managed to say after her breathing returned to normal.

He pulled her into an embrace, squeezing tightly. "Maker's breath! I thought I was going to lose you!"

"Darius," she croaked, her voice strained. "You're hurting me."

He quickly let her go, his embarrassment plain on his face. "Sorry," he apologized. Then he picked up his bow and stood. "Stay here," he told her.

"No, Darius," she exclaimed, grabbing his wrist before he could take off in pursuit of the mage. "We need to run!"

Still determined to chase the apostate he tried to free himself from her grasp but she held fast.

"Darius! Please," she begged.

The boy looked at her, then back in the direction Adonis had run. With a bit of reluctance, he finally relented, turning around to help Riley to her feet. She quickly retrieved her lost bow then the two of them hurried back to where they left the horses.

"Father will want to know about this," Darius said as he untied his horse from the tree.

"No," Riley blurted out, grabbing him by the arm. "You can't tell father about this. He'll send a message to the Chantry."

"Of course," he replied, eyeing her in bewilderment. "That was the mage the Templars were searching for."

"I know, just... Please, Darius, keep this between us."

She looked up at him with desperation in her eyes. Darius wasn't sure why she wanted to keep this a secret, but he nodded all the same. "Alright," he said quietly, "I won't tell anyone."

"Thank you, Darius," she said, giving his arm a gentle squeeze before turning around and mounting her horse.

They kicked their horses into a canter, weaving between the trees until they were clear of the wood. Then they broke out into a full gallop, racing across the plains back to the estate. Riley took one last look over her shoulder at the forest behind them before shifting her gaze to Darius. Fucking shit, she muttered under her breath...

Last edited:
The next morning Riley found herself summoned to Lord Echryn's study. Not wanting to keep him waiting she rushed to get dressed. A part of her wondered just what this summons was about. Did Darius break his promise to her and tell Echryn about the mage? Could he have told him about how she begged him to keep it secret? Her hand faltered as she reached for the door to her room. Does Echryn know I'm a mage?

She looked over her shoulder at the window on the other side of her bed. In her head, she weighed her ability to climb down three stories while clinging to the side of the manor. She shook her head. No, I shouldn't jump to conclusions, she thought, finally opening the door. The walk to her foster father's study felt like the final walk of a prisoner being led to the gallows. Her heart was pounding so hard that she could hear it in her ears.

When she arrived at the study the door was already open. She poked her head in to find the room in disarray. There were maps, parchments, and scrolls scattered all about the room. Books were piled up on the floor as well as the large oaken desk Lord Echryn was currently leaning over. He looked to be studying a map with one hand while holding a parchment in the other. Riley rapped her knuckles lightly on the door to get his attention.

Echryn glanced up from the map. "Oh, Riley, come in," he told her, "Close that door for me, please."

Riley tried her best to ignore the lump in her throat as she entered the room, closing the door behind her. Echryn beckoned her over with one hand.

"Come closer," he said, "Take a seat."

The girl did as she was asked, though there was a bit of reluctance. As soon as she was seated the Lord reached down behind his desk to retrieve a gnarled arrow. "I wanted to ask you again if you remember anything about the attack on the ship that brought you here."

Hearing those words had lifted a huge weight off her shoulders. This didn't have anything to do with the mage from yesterday. Still, she probably shouldn't reveal too many details. She shook her head. "I still don't remember much, just--flashes really," she told him. "Vague, humanoid shapes, lots of fire and... Something. I don't think it was human."

He nodded. "The ship was attacked by darkspawn," he said while holding up the arrow. "I found this at the wreckage. There were dozens of them piercing the bodies of the crew. However, this fletching doesn't match anything used by any of the nations of Thedas today." He set the arrow down on his desk before continuing. "I've had my knights patrolling the shores since you arrived, but so far it seems you're the only survivor. I would say you're lucky to be alive, but since it's highly likely your home was destroyed and your family killed that might seem in poor taste. Still, it's rather remarkable that you weren't killed in the attack."

Well, I had something the others didn't, she thought, but she refrained from saying it out loud. Instead she simply shrugged. "Andraste's will?"

"Maybe," he said, rubbing his chin in thought. "I've sent a message to the Chantry. They've offered to send one of their healers to see if they could help restore your memory."

At the mention of the Chantry her face blanched. "T--that's probably not necessary," she stammered. "I feel like I'm remembering more and more every day. If we just give it some time then maybe my memory will come back on its own."

Echryn was baffled by her response. Why did she appear so anxious? "Well, it doesn't hurt to try. The healer they're sending is one of their best. She'll be arriving tomorrow and will stay here as my guest for as long as it will take."

Riley ground her teeth together. Fucking shit baskets, her mind screamed at her. She fidgeted in her seat, torn between staying or running away. Wait, wait, slow down, Riley. It's just a priest, not a Templar. It's not that bad. It wasn't good, but it could have been a lot worse.

"Is there something you need from me," she asked, trying her best to calm her nerves.

He shook his head. "No, that was all. I just wanted to be sure you were informed. Now run along and go play."

Go play, she repeated in her head, with a bit of chagrin. I'm seventeen, Dad, I'm not a child. She wondered if he was being deliberately patronizing or if that was just how he talked to all his kids. Either way, interrogating him about it right now wasn't the best time so instead she got up and left the room. Finally on her own again, she would have liked to have been able to relax. However, with news of the Chantry priestess arriving tomorrow, she would be doing anything but. How's a healer going to restore memories I haven't lost?

Her aimless wandering through the halls eventually brought her back to her room, but before she could enter she ueard raised voices. It sounded like Lady Marcella and her son.

"You need to think about your future," Marcella was saying. Her voice a few volumes higher than was necessary. "Get your head out of the clouds! Some day you're going to be Lord of this manor and when that day comes you'll need powerful alliances!"

"Is that all you ever think about," he shouted back at her. "Are you ever going to change your tune?"

Riley crept closer to the source of the voices then carefully peeked around the corner. Lady Marcella Ducant looked appalled. "You dare raise your voice to me?" She said, one hand over her heart in pure astonishment. "After everything I've sacrificed for you?"

"Sacrificed what exactly," he demanded, "You keep going on about all the things you've given up but it sure doesn't look like you've sacrificed much of anything at all! You married a rich and became a noble, mother! Just where are all these hardships you keep griping about?!"

"Merciful Andraste! You're a stubborn child," she exclaimed, throwing her arms up in frustration.

He shrugged. "Well, you raised me."

In a move so fast that it caught him off guard she slapped him. There was a loud smack that surprised both him and Riley. Stunned into silence all he could do was stand there rubbing his bruised cheek.

"Grow up, Darius," Marcella snapped at him, "As his Lord's heir you have responsibilities to your house and to your family, you don't get the luxury to go traipsing off with that stupid girl! It's high time you let go of this childish fantasy!"

Finished with her piece she spun on her heel and stormed off, heading in Riley's direction. The girl panicked, ducking into an open doorway as Marcella passed. When she was out of sight Riley finally emerged out into the open. Darius looked at her with surprise.

"Riley," he said, his voice faltering a bit. Still rubbing his throbbing cheek he averted his eyes. "I suppose you heard all that."

"Kind of hard not to," Riley admitted.

He sighed. "I'm sorry. The things she said..." His words trailed off.

The girl shrugged. "Big deal. Lady Marcella hasn't liked me since the day your father brought me home. I've sort of, just--gotten used to it, I guess."

"Still, she shouldn't have said it," he insisted. He let his hand fall back to his side then decided it was time to change the subject. "So, how did the meeting with my father go?"

Riley scrunched up her face in annoyance. "Awful," she told him, "he sent for a healer from the Chantry to help restore my memories. She'll be arriving tomorrow."

He gave her a curious look. "Isn't that a good thing?"

She sighed. "I guess."

Darius narrowed his eyes at her. The girl was an enigma and every day he was finding himself with more questions. "Riley, why do you hate the Chantry?"

"What," she asked, a look of confusion in her eyes.

"First yesterday in the woods, now today," he explained, "Just what is it about the Chantry you hate so much?"

She frowned. There are so many things I hate about it, Darius. It's hard to pick just one. To her credit, she managed to stop herself from voicing her opinion out loud. Instead, she tried to play it off with a shrug. "Just not very religious, I guess."

He gave her a look. "Says the girl who takes the Maker's name in vain literally all the time."

"Not my fault the Chant of Light has the best swears."

"Still," he added, "it can't just be that you're not religious. I saw the look in your eyes yesterday. You were--afraid."

Oh right, that... She wrapped one arm around herself then turned to stare at the wall. "I survived a shipwreck, Darius. People died. Killed by darkspawn according to your father and I'm sure I saw it all. Does that sound like something you'd want to remember?"

He shook his head. "I suppose not."

Then she continued. "On top of that, I'm the only survivor. Lord Echryn's right, it's a bloody miracle. I just... I don't want to find out something about myself that I'm not going to like."

"Like what? That you're a mage," he said, giving her a sardonic smirk. "Don't be ridiculous, Riley."

She looked surprised. Wait, that worked?! "Um, yea," she said after taking a moment to compose herself. "I guess that would be pretty ridiculous."

He reached out and rested a hand on her shoulder. "Listen, you'll be fine, alright? So stop freaking out about it. Between mother and my father we've got enough worry going around as it is."

"Yea, you're right," she said at last, "It's probably nothing, right?"

"Exactly," he said, then he let her go. "Anyway, I gotta get to my father's study. Thanks to mommy dearest I'm now running late. Are you going to be okay?"

She nodded. "I think so, yea."

"Good, I'll see you for dinner tonight," he replied, then he headed back down the hallway the way she had come.

Riley stared at him dumbfounded. Just like that. Now if only she could fool the Chantry priestess coming tomorrow the same way...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back