• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dogs of Direhold (Dice)

Who's ready for the game to start?

• Me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super me!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

Apple Thief

Slayer of Bees, Protector of the Mushroom Folk
"Enlist! Enlist! Enlist!"

Fall in, countrymen! The world needs you!
Join the Dogs of Direhold today!

Game_of_Thrones_Painting_Art_Knight_Horses_Water_516990_1280x800.jpg

Brief Summary of the RP
Players are volunteer defenders in the enchanted fortress of Direhold. This mysterious stronghold was created eons ago to combat outsider threats from other realities. Now that a tear in the Astral Plane has formed, a collection of nations has pooled together resources to defend against a growing horde that is rampaging across the stars. While there is a plot here, you are free to do as you please once you're in the game. The dice run the game, I'm just here to move the players along.

There will be a rules lite dice system in place that will determine if you succeed or fail at slaying your foes. This system is also tied to a simple leveling scheme that will allow players to grow powerful without limits and stay relevant in combat regardless of playstyle. Combat is decided by placing characters and enemies in a Battle Order; the armor you wear will decide your placement and the weapon you wield will decide who you can strike. Play whatever way you like because there are NPCs who will fill in the gaps of your party so that you don't have to delegate vital roles between the players.

ATTENTION: This thread is currently for friends only. I'll definitely communicate if you message me about being interested in joining, but you'll be put on the bench until I feel comfortable enough running the thread that I can open up to new applications. I'm looking to run with strangers at some point, so don't lose heart! I just haven't run a RP in years and I want to start with a control group.

ATTENTION 2: Please write at least 1-3 paragraphs per post! It's really hard to work with less and nobody likes a wall of text to describe something that doesn't need a wall of text!

Table of Contents
Summary & Table of Contents
~~Introduction to the Setting~~
The Leveling System
OOC Channel
Character Sheets

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Last edited:

The Dogs of Direhold are defending the realm!
What are you doing to help?

ed7e99d5c3e63bde845426fe82540c48.jpg

"Ah, you look like a potential volunteer!"
"You'd better not be another panhandler, I swear to Gods--"

"Dogs of Direhold? Enlist? What's going on here?!"

"Lend us your chisels and spears, countryman-- the real enemy lies beyond the stars! Recent breakthroughs within the Arcane Colleges have allowed us to travel to the furthest point in existence: the Astral Plane! The first expedition revealed shocking historical finds; the enchanted fortress of Direhold has been uncovered and there's confirmation that life beyond our reality exists!"

And ehh... ermm... there's a tear in the Astral Plane and it turns out the life beyond our reality is trying to invade our reality and destroy us all.​
"Wait... what was that last part?"
"That's right, we found a valuable slice of history! Scholars everywhere are rejoicing over groundbreaking finds from ages long since forgotten. The secrets of our ancestors will surely be a boon to our studies and bring us into an age of peace and prosperity!"
"No, no-- I meant after that."
"What? Oh! Riiiight haha, of course you did...

Bet you could hear a pidgeon shit a mile away, too.​

So, magic is really strong and sometimes when you're on the verge of a great discovery (like rediscovering the Astral Plane) and it's not an exact science (like baking), you can accidentally punch a hole in reality (woops) by overdoing a really big spell. These are the sorts of dangers that accompany new and experimental forms of magic. We're, uhh... sorry about that. Sorry."

"Okay, but you mentioned an invasion earlier...?"
"While the evidence to support this is being verified, ancient records collected during the reclamation process suggest that Direhold was created to combat outsider threats eons ago. The following pages describe the Astral Plane as being an artificially created membrane surrounding our reality and then lightly glosses over Direhold's defences."

...the writing is blurry, something along the lines of gigantic soldiers and lasers or something? What's a laser-?!

"Protection? From what?"
"The scrolls also warned of an existence wide extinction event that wiped out nearly all life; our realms were shielded through the existence of the Astral Plane which absorbed all of the damage. The greatest concern here is not the loss of life, but the loss of sustenance for the lifeless. Without a stable source from which to derive prayers and sacrifices, a countless number of gods and godlike entities within the affected realities underwent one of two possible changes:

A) Changing to an inert state until mortal races return and they are born again, which was the most common scenario outlined in the texts.

OR

(And keep in mind, this second option is almost statistically impossible.)

B) Reverting to a more wild and primitive state before hunting down life to ravenously consume for the sake of self preservation. Of course, this scenario requires a complex number of variables in order to happen, so it's wildly unlikely to occur."
"Oh, so I shouldn't worry about this--"
"Welllllllllll.... there are technically an infinite number of realities and that means an infinite number of dead gods rampaging across the void between worlds. Of course, we have an impenetrable layer that separates us from all of that nasty business..."

Well, like 99.9% impenetrable...

"Ahem, anyways."

"While they cannot fit through the tear in the Astral Plane, their minions can and will attempt to create a better opening for their masters to get through. But fear not--that would take a lot of magic and explosives and minions to happen, so we would pretty much have to be doing nothing for things to go that far. Aside from that, we are also prepared to meet travelers who aren't necessarily trying to fight us. While I encourage a peaceful solution, just remember that anyone or anything walking in through the tear is after our resources, so judge accordingly.

Even with the odds on our side, the new collective of nations (we're calling it the Great Union from now on) has elected a council of their wisest members to represent our interests as a whole. The very first thing they outlined was the creation of a mutually funded company of elite soldiers and craftsmen to defend the tear. We call this organization..."

Here it comes...

"The Dogs of Direhold!"
"Okay, this is making more sense now. Where do I fit in?"
"The Great Union is very young and enacting something drastic like a draft could lead to large-scale revolts. In order to have our cake and eat it too, we have to meet our new citizens in the middle and ask for volunteers. We need the support of the people to run a nation, even at a time when the world needs immediate saving.

Of course, you wouldn't be saving all life as we know it for free-- Great Union is offering an incredibly generous salary plus benefits, to include new concepts such as having "time off", "dental", "adequate housing", and "overtime pay". I know it might be difficult to leave your hovel and that shady job you do in dark alleyways just to get a scrap of bread, but please consider our offer."

"K. Anything else I should know?"
"While our respective nations will be supplying highly trained troops to maintain a garrison at Direhold, they do not technically belong to the Dogs; the elite unit outlined is actually a collection of the greatest talent the land has to offer and will work independently of the armed forces backing them up. Some of the best out there are people who don't like to take orders or answer to authority, so we will not be forcing anyone to dress a certain way or even to fight as a cohesive unit.

To add onto that last part, anyone that joins will immediately be granted citizenship across all nations within the Great Union and have any and all criminal records expunged, to include death row sentences, excommunication, and lastly, crimes of a cosmic nature."

Table of Contents
~~Introduction to the Setting~~
The Leveling System
OOC Channel
Character Sheets

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Last edited:

If you can carry a weapon, will you fight for freedom?
We must protect the future!

8S3FV7N843UD0031.jpg

So, you're probably wondering how the dice mechanics work...
(Or maybe you just like the pictures, I don't judge ¯\_(?)_/¯ )

Roleplaying is fun, but the temptation of godmodding is incredibly strong and it's not even something we consciously try to do; it's natural to pull your punches when your character gets hurt (or for people on the flip side, do way too much damage.) It's not always easy to determine how many people get killed or if we're being realistic enough since roleplaying is entirely imagination based. Instead of relying on our natural instincts to determine these things, I believe that a rules lite dice system can eliminate godmodding without cutting into your creativity.

Below is a series of tabs that will cover the technical jibber jabber of how the dice system will work, so be sure to read through them before you move on to creating your character in the other thread.

• Leveling Summary
    Every time you survive a battle, you gain a level up. This also means that you can gain levels by being defeated in battle and surviving, so even a loser will eventually become strong. Every level up nets you 1d4 points for each attribute as well as the opportunity to roll 1d10 on a stat of your choice. Every attribute point you gain will help you in a number of ways; HP and DEF make you harder to kill, ATK and MGC give your attacks more damage, and SPD allows you to take multiple turns within a round.

On top of stats at every level, you have the ability to dip into class passives that further customize the way your character fights his battles. Each class has three passives and each passive can be upgraded three times. You start off with a Passive Point at level 1 and gain one every ten levels. Just remember that there's a unique passive cap of 5 passives and around the mid 100s you'll finally stop getting points you can put into passives. At that point your character is a veteran and simply gains stats for a while until they hit the cap of level 300.
    Base Stats, Combat Stats, and Leveling Up

Base Stats represent the sum of all of your character's strengths and talents in their rawest form while the Combat Stats will have all of the relevant numbers needed to make combat move smoothly. When you first create your character, you're going to roll as if your character just leveled up. Below are all of the stats and what they represent:

(LVL) Level: WHAT'S HIS POWER LEVEL NAPPA
    (HP) Hitpoints: This is your life in numbers. 0 = ded
    (AHP) Armor: AHP takes damage before HP does. Does not repair outside of Direhold.
    (ATK) Attack: This is the flat number you add to your weapon damage rolls.
    (DEF) Defence: This stat shaves off damage. Applies only to HP damage.
    (MGC) Magic: The MGC stat powers and resists magic attacks.
    (SPD) Speed: This is the number of actions you can perform in a round after the default single turn.

(HP) Hitpoints: +1 Point = +2 HP
    (ATK) Attack: +5 points = +1 ATK
    (DEF) Defence: +10 points = +1 DEF
    (MGC) Magic: +20 points = +1 MGC
    (SPD) Speed: +50 points = +1 SPD
    (---) Armor: Armor hit points
    (---) Weapon: Equation

Please note that all you need are the abbreviations of each stat and you are free to name the rest whatever you like. Whenever a weapon or armor affects your stats, your base stats will be referred to as B-Stats or C-Stats, respectively, or just called by the full or short name of the stat. This is an example of how your stats may look in the right/left sidebar of your posts.

(LVL) Level: 5
    (HP) Dedication: 18
    (ATK) Mantis Sword Technique: 20
    (DEF) Uncanny Reflex: 16
    (MGC) Lotus Spirit: 22
    (SPD) Coffee: 16
    (MAR) Scale Hauberk: Medium
    (2HW) Runic Great Maul: Two-Handed Hammer

HP: 54/54
    ATK: +4
    DEF: -3
    MGC: +4
    SPD: 1
    MAR: 40/40
    2HW: 1d8 + 4

OR

HP: 18 (36/36)
    ATK: 20 (+4)
    DEF: 16 (-3)
    MGC: 22 (+4)
    SPD: 16 (0)
    MAR: 40/40
    2HW: (1d8 + 4)

Loadouts & Actions

You'll notice in the coming sections that certain items take up loadouts, item slots, full actions, free actions, or nothing at all. Just to clear up any confusion, here's a small explanation of these terms:

Loadout: A Loadout is comprised of two item slots which is just another way of saying what you can hold in your two hands. A sword and a shield is a loadout, a two-handed hammer is a loadout, and an entire tower shield is a loadout. You can swap between loadouts without taking up any actions, but you can only attack with both if you have at least one SPD (or 50 Speed).

Item Slots: Like mentioned above, whatever you can hold in your hand is an Item Slot but not all items will take up an Item Slot. Consumables don't take up item slots and neither do short bows, but something like a hammer or a sword will. The weapon descriptions will explain what items take up what slots, so be sure to read that carefully.

Full Action: This is an action that takes up an entire turn. Things like attacking or using an active class ability will take up a Full Action.

Free Action: Basically a freeby action. Some spells or abilities are Free Actions, so be sure to abuse them when you have the chance.

Turn: A turn is a Full Action's worth of time. If you have, say... 50 Speed (or +1 SPD), you have two turns inside of a round of combat to act. That's two sword slashes right there.

Round: A round of combat is when your entire side of the Battle Order takes their turn(s). A battle is comprised of many rounds and rounds are comprised of many turns.

Table of Contents
Introduction to the Setting
~~The Leveling System~~
OOC Channel
Character Sheets
"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Last edited:

You're like a low level NPC;
No class

Community-Page-Header.jpg

Ain't no party like a dungeon raid party
'cause a dungeon raid party is lit... with torches... it's uh, it's dark...

• The Arbalest is the man of choice when arrows and spears simply cannot pierce the armor of your enemies. Their extensive training with crossbows and precision aiming make them a lethal force to be reckoned with when they can rain volleys down on the battlefield and slaughter even the hardiest knights.

Penetrate: Bolts are smaller and usually made of metal in order to pierce the thick plate armor knights and footmen are known to wear. Crossbows deal extra damage to armor.
    Extra Armor Damage: +5|+10|+20

Shrapnel: Sometimes bolts are known to fracture armor and send sharp metal shards into the nearby area and cause infections in the coming weeks. For every five armor points you bypass, deal damage to your enemy's hitpoints.
    Extra HP Damage: +1|+3|+5

Crammit!: There isn't a matter-of-fact way to explain shoving extra bolts into a crossbow. There's no way this could work in real life, it just seemed like a really cool ability. The burst damage is so insane with two hand crossbows! Cram extra bolts into your crossbow for a lethal burst of damage, just beware the reload time. This is a Full Action and you can use it as often as you can reload.
    Extra Bolts: 2|4|6
    Reload Time: 0|2|3 rounds

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Last edited:

Battle Chef

f48d2f873b79e468185bc1c5bf0316a5.png
HP: 2 (4/4)
AHP: 40/40
ATK: 2 (+0)
DEF: 3 (+0)
MGC: 1 (+0)
SPD: 2 (+0)
Loadout 1: (1H/1H) [2d6+0]
Loadout 2: (2HW) [1d8+0]

Here's an example post for you!

Barry 'The Mountain' Wiseman
"I am The Mountain because-- well, I guess because I'm fucking huge."

Blee blah blee blah bloo this is example text, I really didn't feel like putting on airs like I did when I made the character sheet for Barry. This ought to give you a pretty good idea of what the posts ought to look like. You have control over a lot of the stylizing parts of it, so as long as you keep the numbers on the right correct and the post identifies your character at the top, we should be golden. Here's the code for all of this below:
Don't Dead Code Inside

Code:
[side=right]
[font=georgia][size=6][center][i]Battle Chef[/i][/center][/size][center]
[centerblock=60][h][heightrestrict=250][IMG]https://www.rpnation.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Ff4%2F8d%2F2f%2Ff48d2f873b79e468185bc1c5bf0316a5.png&hash=45db27779fadc17b333643296bae3d18[/IMG][/heightrestrict][/h][/centerblock]
[size=4][b]HP:[/b] 2 (4/4)
[b]AHP:[/b] 40/40
[b]ATK:[/b] 2 (+0)
[b]DEF:[/b] 3 (+0)
[b]MGC:[/b] 1 (+0)
[b]SPD:[/b] 2 (+0)
[b]Loadout 1:[/b] (1H/1H) [2d6+0]
[b]Loadout 2:[/b] (2HW)  [1d8+0][/size][/center][/font]
[/side]
[center][font=Georgia][size=6][b][u]Barry 'The Mountain' Wiseman[/u][/b][/size]
[size=3][i]"I am The Mountain because-- well, I guess because I'm fucking huge."[/i][/size][/font][/center]

Blee blah blee blah bloo this is example text, I really didn't feel like putting on airs like I did when I made the character sheet for Barry. This ought to give you a pretty good idea of what the posts ought to look like. You have control over a lot of the stylizing parts of it, so as long as you keep the numbers on the right correct and the post identifies your character at the top, we should be golden. Here's the code for all of this below:

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg
Race: Half-Elf
Mood: Irritated

Tohnas Veldregen
Liason to the Dogs of Direhold

The air whipped coldly around Tohnas as he waited for the Dogs just forward of Camp Highwind. The name of their temporary base of operations sounded impressive until you realized it was a joke about the Astral. It's strange how surprising the cold here was; when you think of the Astral, you don't think it would be a chilly, windy place with floating ruins everywhere. I suppose it would be more accurate to say no person stops and thinks that the edge of the world is frigid and lifeless until they get there. As he pondered, the Sergeant did his best not to let his gaze rest on either side of him. Thomas' greatest fear was heights and camping on this massive stone bridge was already playing on his nerves. What were the odds his permanent duty station would be on a crumbling piece of shit in the middle of the sky? What a fucking joke.

"Speaking of jokes," he pondered quietly, "Those stupid flyers and recruiters... how many people believed that garbage?"

It's sort of an unspoken rule that people will eat the truth up if it makes them feel better, even if it's not the facts that they're later digesting. This entire operation was built on dirty lies that were apparent the moment you stepped through the gate... but without this lie, The Great Union couldn't pad their public opinion and secure funds for Direhold. They needed to win before they could try, as the gamblers say. The higher ups had already committed to the lie and doomed everyone below them, so I guess it was too late for Tohnas to start having morals; their lives were now the spokes of a wagon that weren't even attached to the wheels. How does something so fragile not fall apart?

The Liason was absorbed by his paranoid fantasies for minutes before he realized he was capriciously leaning over the short wall on the sides of the bridge, gazing and muttering into the black grease trap that lay at the bottom of the Astral. He quickly stepped back and continued waiting like he was before, albeit nursing a tremor that was spreading from his hands and into his body.

He really hated heights.​

Player Action Required Tohnas, your new superior, is waiting outside of the Astral Gate (inside of the Astral) for the first batch of Dogs to enter the Astral Plane. You may now begin posting! If you plan on sneaking up on him, just remember he's easy to scare and he'll hate you forever.

Last edited:

"Semper Vigilo"

c7ecddfdbfb1ab24a0897b10082f4a07eae9f324_hq.jpg
HP:9(18/18)
AHP:0/0
ATK:3(+0)
DEF:4(+0)
MGC:1(+0)
SPD:3(+0)
Loadout 1:(4d8+0)x2
Loadout 2:(4d8+0)x2
Brother Venn
Order of the Vigilant Shroud

As Venn stood at the edge of the rift, the Astral they called it. He pondered what manner of creature might dwell inside. There, in that swirling purple vortex of ever changing shapes he stared. Slowly he lifted his hand through to test if he could pass unharmed at all. He felt cold, wind, on the other side, beyond that, nothing. And so he entered. Leaving behind the world he once knew for an unknown one, only taking with him his knowledge and duty to the other side. The road was the same, cobblestones on bare feet. He had been to accustomed to cold, as he was with all types of weather, his implacable stare showing no emotion on his face as his windswept sashes blew iconically in the constant wind, making what he thought must have been a singularly unique silhouette from afar. He had been given many assignments before to faraway places and stunning landscapes, but this one had already topped them all.

The ancient cobblestone and constant wind were one thing, but the long stone bridges and crumbling masonry leading up to a castle sitting atop what one could only describe as floating mountains. The sight was instantly breathtaking. And behind this magnificent scene you could see it: the Astral. Everyone had heart the stories, but to actually be inside it, the adrenaline made him wonder if it was wrong to feel the exact same as he did on the other side. His mentors had told him that the expansion of this rift and the threat it posed spelled danger for everyone. It's funny how they all just say danger, even though it was obvious that no one knew anything about this place. They certainly hadn't prepared him for this. The size of the thing was massive, even from a distance. A great scar in the sky, like an eye or a mouth, staring into the souls of those who looked upon it and daring all to find what secrets lie within. Even though it was already miles away, it was enormous, threatening to swallow all creation and everything within.

'Gods, I hope not.' Is all Venn thought as he stared into that swirling vortex, inscrutable and unwavering in the clear morning sky. The senior brothers of the Order of the Vigilant Shroud obviously knew nothing about it, though they would never have said it out loud. To keep his mind clear, Venn remembered his orders. He was to join the Dogs of Direhold and provide any assistance needed to the Great Union while sending back regular reports to the Order on the nature of the Astral and all things in its purview. That was how he had always gotten by when his duty was clouded by moral ambiguity.

"'We forever strive to help those in need by eliminating the threats posed to them." That is what brother Varrith always told him when he had questions the morality of their work. "We work to keep the people safe, but if you must sacrifice the one to save the many, then act without hesitation. For ours is not to abide the laws by which man has constrained himself to. Ours is the work of justice and vengeance. Others will tend to the sick and dying, our place with the enemy." He was not always certain if he agreed with those words, but they had saved his own life more times than he cared to remember.

As he walked along in solemn thought, he saw a man in the distance, obviously waiting for him. As he approached he began to see the man more clearly. 'Young, fit, hammer strapped to his thigh, easily avoidable, his armor is good but there are flaws in it, best point of attack: left armpit, he's shuffling slightly, the hairs on the back of his neck stand erect, he's scared of heights. This man could defend himself if needed, but not for long, not against me at least. I hope our enemies prove less capable than him, otherwise this man will surely die.' Venn thought as he drew ever nearer. And so the next chapter in Venn's life opened, and untold adventures lie ahead.

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg

Tohnas Veldregen

The messengers were right; it wouldn't be long before volunteers would start showing up. He could've assigned some young buck to sit on the bridge and bring them back, but Tohnas was a little anal about doing things 'the right way'. He wanted to leave a strong impression on new recruits before they started hating him for his work ethic. He just wasn't prepared for his recruits to leave an impression on him so quickly; as the first stranger drew near, a breathe escaped Tohn's lips like stray air slowly escaped from a balloon-- this dude was jacked. Gods above, what were they feeding this man?! he thought desperately, He looks like they fed three men a mountain of eggs and then fused them together into some sort of... God of Fitness! I could barely swing an axe at his age but he could pull my arms off!

"Greetings, recruit! Welcome to the Dogs!" he called out, his clarion voice masking his thoughts and fears, "We can exchange pleasantries later, there's work to... uhh... are you the only one? Didn't they send anyone else with you, lad? Are they... trailing behind you or something? You look like the sort of fellow who runs ahead of everyone else."

"Semper Vigilo"

Brother Venn

The man called out as Venn approached, his clear voice ringing out in the morning air. As Venn drew up to the man, he could obviously see the subtle nerves of intimidation that he regularly received from common folk. Respect and fear, never hidden but always trying to hide. Venn stared inscrutably at the man for a few moments, simply testing his resolve before reaching into his pack and pulling out the official orders given to him by the Order, once again a test. Occasionally nobles and officials would ask to see these papers when a brother would enter their lands to execute a task. It was always thought a sign of pompous weakness to accept these documents at all, much less scour over them as some did, perhaps in some misguided guise of control. Everyone knew who the order was. Throughout the seven realms and even some of the lands beyond, the Order was well known, and never to be trifled with. The wise lords that a brother encountered would simply let him pass, and often offer to assist wherever they might.

The mans whole body shook slightly as Venn offered the scroll bearing the seal of the Order, no doubt that it was more than just the chilly wind. "I am here on behalf of the Order of the Vigilant Shroud to assist in the efforts of the so named Dogs of Direhold. My name is Brother Venn. I traveled alone on the road. Are you the commander of this garrison?" Venn asked as he nodded his head towards the floating castle not far away.

Last edited:

Spirit Monk

muscle_wizard_by_gauntes-d88wq3b.jpg
HP: 11 (22/22)
AHP: 0
ATK: 4 (+0)
Loadout 1: (1H/1H) [4d8*2]
Loadout 2: (1H/1H) [4d8*2]

Brother Loroc
"Focus, breath, and SICK FLEXES."

Brother Loroc shivered slightly at the cold breeze that whipped around him. Though he was wearing fairly thick clothing, he was used to warmer climes and the cold air of Direhold did not agree with him. 'It will take weeks to get used to this cold,' he thought to himself. Hurrying along, Loroc made his way down to the camp below intending to find the Liason. Ignoring the glorious wonder of the arcane winds whipping throughout the region caused by the Astral Gate, the awesome power rippling throughout the very ground of the land upon which Loroc tread, the monk drew closer to the camp and as he did he noticed two strangers standing at the entrance to the camp ahead.

The first man looked like some kind of soldier. 'I'm assuming the armor and weapons he carries are the standard of the company he's involved with. Decently strong, but he could stand to build a bit more. Still, he seems to have a solid frame. He'd have made a fine brother of the Order if he had ever chanced upon us.' Loroc mused. 'I don't recognize the other, but he seems like he almost might be from the Order as well. Strange, I wonder what his ways are. The Lord has clearly blessed him with good genes and a solid musculature. I shall make a note to converse with him at length about his personal routine. It'll be good to talk gains with an outsider's perspective.'

Loroc drew close to the two men and stopped just short of them and waited for them to acknowledge his presence. He figured there's no sense in interrupting the discussion between the two men, and that one of them would eventually bring him into the conversation at some point.

Last edited:

Ethinius Hillmire

5104857df7caf73a19c1e033aed4bb64--fantasy-male-fantasy-soldier.jpg
HP: 3 (6/6)
AHP: 80/80
ATK: 2(+0)
DEF: 4(+0)
MGC: 12(+0)
SPD: 3(+0)
Loadout 1: (1d6+ATK)
Loadout 2: Lesser Magical Implement

Ethinius Hillmire
Astral Summoner

It was a liberating sight to see Ethinius riding his great behemoth Minorias as they leapt between floating ruins, unbound and free. Meanwhile, Venn and Tohnas were left at the top of the bridge conversing before a monk with impressive gains. As Venn finished his last question, an enormous behemoth hurled past the top of the bridge, landing with an Earth-shaking crash. It settled at the start of the bridge, bowing its head to reveal a heavily armored character riding it. He gracefully dismounted, and after hopping off one of its horns, the behemoth disappeared into a violet mist and flowed into his hand, leaving a faint aura around it. As the three around the figure recovered from the tremor, he took off his helmet and revealed a young man possessing a soft face, round rosy cheeks, and light brown hair with blue eyes. "Hello everyone! Fantastic ride that was ha-ha! Great jump at the end too. Terribly sorry if I startled you. Glad to meet you! I am Ethinius Hillmire! I'm here for the... uh... Dogs of Direhold! Are you members? Can you tell me your names?"

Last edited:
"Semper Vigilo"

Brother Venn

*CRASH!*

As the smoke cleared to reveal an enormous creature, surely not of the mortal world, Venn's senses heightened, yet he stood like a statue as the wind and dust swept his sashes around him. This was no ordinary creature, if it had meant them harm it would have landed closer. As Venn continued to study the beast, what looked like a knight swept himself off of its back and gracefully onto the ground. As he approached, Venn heard another figure approaching from behind him but decided to keep his gaze on this armored figure, who was potentially the greater threat.

The knight squared up and removed his helmet, revealing a very young man. In truth not many years younger than himself, but soft and untempered, an obvious lack of battle experience. However, the beast behind this man was great and powerful by any account. To tame a beast such as this, and earn its respect, showed a force of will that few possessed. Venn would reserve total judgement of this man until after he had seen his skill in battle firsthand.

As Venn turned around to acknowledge the other person approaching, he was pleased to find familiar features on the man before him. He was a large man with a bald head, no doubt possessed of a great physical strength, with blue tattoos covering his arms and probably his torso. The man had a smirk on his face like he might always have something humorous to say. This man was one of good cheer in harsh times, despite the telltale marks of hardship upon his face. He was an older man, and carried himself with a sense of respect. Most likely he belonged to another, perhaps lesser known, order of holy monks. This thought was encouraging but also worrisome. He would most definitely prove capable on the battlefield, but should a disagreement arise between this man and himself, they would both be bound by holy tenets to destroy each other. 'I hope that never comes to pass' Thought Venn to himself.

As these men approached from either side, Venn thought not of introductions, he only turned his gaze upon the nearby keep, eager to finally assess the condition of their soon to be defenses. 'But that will surely have to wait. If I am to live amongst this company for the foreseeable future, It would behoove me to indulge them in pleasantries and the like.' And so Venn waited, for these men would surely want to have a lengthy conversation and introductions that he deemed unnecessary. The true audit of a man's worth was made on the battlefield, and after so much travelling, such is what he longed for at this moment. And so he waited...

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg

Tohnas Veldregen

Okay, so the messengers knew their shit; not one recruit made it to the Astral on time but three. And they were able bodied, too! The second recruit was an older gentleman, but built like the self-proclaimed Brother Venn and somehow cheerier looking. Perhaps his age gave him a wise and wonderful temperament? Regardless, students of any martial or holy order were always welcome and would most likely prove useful in the missions to come. Which wasn't to say that the heavily armored stranger Ethin with his mythical horned beast leaping from floating ruins wasn't impressive, Tohnas simply felt the need to give the two monks some extra points (he didn't want to hold any above the other, after all) to make it seem a little fair. The Dog roster was looking incredibly strong right now.

'Out-fucking-standing.' Tohnas thought gleefully.​

Wait, had he been slack jawed this whole time staring at his recruits? Gods, how embarrassing.​

The Sergeant took a moment to straighten himself and regain the composure he had lost in the humble and awe inspiring introductions of these men. There was a tremor to him still, but that was normal; he had always been that way. "Brother Venn, no need-- the seal on your scroll is well known to The Great Union. I would think that one monk seems a small contribution, but I'm sure your brothers sent a man worth one hundred men instead of one hundred men worth none." Tohnas spoke out, "Ethinius Hillmire, you have been expected as well, but I'm impressed you made it so quickly! That fantastic beast must move like the wind-- I didn't receive the hawk that spoke of your coming arrival yet! And you, my good man, you seem wise beyond your years and I must say-- your pecs are looking quite chiseled. I haven't seen a torso like that since I visited the statues of Kolamar. I must know your name, good sir!"

"I am Tohnas Veldregen, Sergeant of the Guard!" He continued, clearly carried away in his signature, flowery speeches, "I am not the Commander, who is currently attending mandatory meetings and attending training at the Capitol, but I am the leader of the enlisted soldiers here and your new superior. While you are not mere soldiers, you will still answer to me and we will work together to achieve success in this campaign. I am nearing my thirtieth Winter and I have been a strategist raised from noble beginnings. My greatest achievement was executing the end of 'The War of Clovers', a summer long civil war in the eastern Kingdoms. A lesser war, but a war nonetheless. You may address me as Sergeant Veldregen."

"But there are also pressing matters we must attend to quickly." Tohnas corrected himself, "I'm sure you guessed, but this bridge isn't Direhold and neither is Camp Highwind behind me. Direhold..."

And with this he turned and pointed at a distant castle ruin on the other side of the bridge with a sweeping gesture, "...is right there. I'm sorry for the misleading information you were given, but we don't control anything but this floating piece of shit in the Astral right now. We've been waiting here a week for the Dogs to show up because we're in need of your unique talents to take it back and begin our operations here in the Astral. Do you understand? Are you ready to work right now? I'm sorry for how sudden this is, but war waits for no-one."

Last edited:

Ethinius Hillmire

Ethinius Hillmire
Astral Summoner

"It might be nice, for a change - to belong somewhere. This could be what I've been looking for!" Ethinius thought to himself, musing about spending nights with the Dogs of Direhold telling stories and enjoying company after a day of valiantly defending against astral dangers.

Ethinius turned to Tohnas and spoke, "So I'm at the right place then, finally back in the astral once more. So we're it? We are the Dogs of Direhold? What a grand lot if I say so myself!" While jokingly standing at attention, Ethinius saluted Tohnas "I'm ready to work at a moment's notice, SIR!" and chuckled heartily. "Lets get down to business!" Ethinius said as he reached a hand out to pat the silent bald monk on the back.​

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg

Tohnas Veldregen

"Your enthusiasm is refreshing, Ethin, but I didn't mean at this exact moment." Tohnas replied, his left hand running through his beard thoughtfully "I'd love to get to work right now, but after traveling for days you must be tired and hungry. Sending you in when you're not at your best seems like amateur tripe. We'll do it tomorrow or even the day after, depending on circumstances. I have forward scouts probing Direhold for vulnerabilities, so we're mostly waiting on their information to begin. In the meantime, we'll drop gear in the camp, get some of Boulder's famous Dwarven stew, and get to know each other a little better before we begin operations. We're going to have to work as a team from here on out, so we'd best start acting like one from the start. Wouldn't you agree?"

Last edited:

Spirit Monk

Brother Loroc

"I thank you for your compliment sir! I am Brother Loroc of the Order of Gains! We are a small order that keeps to ourselves! I would agree with young Ethinius here, engaging in jolly cooperation would be the best course of action for all present!" Loroc's voice boomed with a projection that seemed as if it might have been unintentional. He slapped Ethinius on the back heartily, crossed his arms, and gave a hearty chuckle. "I daresay it would be nice to have a little chat after the many long days of journeying! I am curious particularly of you Brother Venn, as well as to what sorts of training your order uses! Ah if only to be twenty years younger again! Lead the way Tohnas!"

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg
Mood: Anxious

Tohnas Veldregen

With small introductions and merry making to send them off, Tohnas led the newly welcomed Dogs Ethinius, Brother Venn, and Brother Loroc to Camp Highwind after many minutes of walking. The chilly winds that whipped the small stones across the surface of the massive bridge did nothing to stall the rising morale that was fueled by the presence of strong men; with their talents combined, Direhold was as good as captured already! After an hour of dropping gear and issuing privates to help set up their tents, the starlight that kept this strange realm lit ebbed and left the Astral Plane to slowly sink into a variable amount of darkness. It was during these twilight hours that our party found themselves at the feet of a roaring fire with a meaty stew bubbling and frothing above it that Tohnas saw the opportunity to speak frankly to the Dogs once more.

"As you all know..." the Sergeant began while haphazardly sloshing stew into a wooden bowl, "...we're looking to take Direhold so we can set up a military presence in the Astral. Most of the scouts have returned with news about how we can best approach and seize the fortress using your small group. While we're heavily looking into retrieving the two scouts who did not return, we have an opportunity to plan our attack. Our first and foremost objective will be to open the gatehouse so we can send the troops we do have to slaughter it's defenders. According to our intel, there's a significant number of... crab people? Fish people? Some sort of crusty water dwelling species of monster folk that have infested the fortress. They appear to be primitive and lacking a strong command structure, so they should be easy enough to overwhelm and destroy with strategy."

"Now, I know you're thinking, 'Why not just break down the gate?' but I have an answer for that." Tohnas said, shaking a wooden spoon at Brother Loroc, "We did. We tried battering it down, we tried breaking it down, but nothing worked. There's something blocking the gate from the inside that's making it impossible to get inside. Not to mention the gate's encrusted with a dense layer of barnacles and sea water that has turned the wood stonelike. It's impervious to our tools. We need you gentlemen to sneak inside, open the gate, and join us in the fray. We don't have the resources to stray from this mission, so DO NOT try anything else while you're in there for fuck's sake. We don't need any heroes here, just good soldiers!"

Last edited:
"Semper Vigilo"
Brother Venn

As all this was happening, Venn was contemplating his new companions. An introspection came over him. Until this point, when given an assignment by the Order, he had acted with the surety of the Order's reputation behind him. He would arrive at the area specified and simply expect compliance with his wishes. He knew that anyone who did not do as he had wished would afterward have to deal with the enmity of the Order, and all the displeasures such brings with it. Now however, he was not so sure.

It came upon him that in any part of the world of mortal men, such a thing would be true, here though. This place was far beyond the purview of the Order. Here, he was alone. Here, he did not have the safety of a compliant rabble, here he had only himself and the men around him. These men, who were all just like him. Who had come to this place with a purpose, so far away from everything they had ever known. Even the weakest of heart here would be worth ten men of iron will anywhere else, simply for that fact.

These men were not brothers to him, perhaps one day but not now. And yet they were all he had. If he was to succeed here, he would need more than himself and a compliant nobility. He would need these men. With this realization in mind, and with renewed sense of purpose at the onset of such a task, he raised his eyes from the fire"By what route did your scouts take? If we have a clear route inside we will have more chance of success, and will be more likely to find them."

Last edited:

Ethinius Hillmire

Ethinius Hillmire
Astral Summoner

Ethinius went eagerly around the camp conversing with the soldiers and gathering their names, all the while keeping a general ear on Tohnas's words. "It's important to know my comrades, surely it'll help us work together. Plus, if we're all friendly with one another, morale will surely be better!" he thought to himself. They were discussing the mission: reclaiming Direhold in order to create a military presence in the astral plane.

After enough time promoting himself, Ethinius decided to join the conversation, wondering how he could contribute. "If we need to sneak in, what if I made a distraction? I mean, I'm not exactly stealthy in case you hadn't noticed the bulkiness of my armor. But it sounds like it could work. You said the enemy is some fish-like creatures, and that they're disorganized and simple of mind. I bet me and my behemoth would easily be able to get all of their attention, giving the opportunity for the others to sneak in. Me and Minorias could leap over the gate to a different side of the fort, and gather them there while dodging blows. Meanwhile, with their backs turned, the gates fling wide open and soldiers rush in! The fishmen absolutely gobsmacked and caught in the middle of the fray, a great behemoth on one side, and on the other a company of hardy warriors! ...I don't know how you all feel about it though."

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg

Tohnas Veldregen

Ethinius' thoughtful approach to meet with the soldiers he would one day fight alongside proved to be a boon to the Dogs; while the overall opinion of the new "heroes" went up, the flagging morale of the soldiers camped on the cold bridge went up significantly. PVT Truffles and PVT Wynnter in particular were left with very good impressions of Ethin who appears to not only be in excellent control of his beast but also a very kind and caring owner, things these two soldiers hold very highly in others. The popular rumors that the Dogs would be full of uppity assholes who thought they were better than everyone else was quickly squashed with the social initiative that Ethin took. Among the troops, he is already earning a nickname: Ethin the Eager. During the next battle that Ethin is present to fight with the men, they with all gain a +1 to damage.

"There were six scouts, three teams of two, Brother Venn." the Sergeant replied quickly "The first pair sidled along the right side gatehouse wall and entered through a crack in a tower. They did not return. The second pair sidled along the left side and removed an iron grate blocking a tunnel. This team discovered an underground tunnel system, but encountered traps and no enemies. They left quickly, so the use of the tunnels is not clear to us. The third pair climbed the walls alongside the gatehouse using embedded bolts and natural handholds and entered through the top of the wall, but experienced heavy resistance and fled."

"That idea could work Ethinius, but we don't know the enemy numbers or if there's even a path for you to escape afterwards." Tohnas continued thoughtfully, staring into his stew like it held all of the answers, "They might be simple, but they're still organized enough to have patrols and defend a fortress. They're just smart and numbered enough to pose a threat. A distraction will be good, but I would feel safer if we could keep your team together during this operation. I am open to other ideas, though."

Quest: Take the Gatehouse According to the scout's reports, there are three ways in and each will have a different combination of dangers on their pathway to the Gatehouse as well as optional objectives that will endanger your lives and reputations with Tohnas at the cost of extra spoils and levels. If you can complete the base quest to take the gatehouse, each participant will gain 5 levels. The level of resistance will be variable and there may or may not be sub-bosses or boss monsters along the way. Make your decisions carefully-- there's not many opportunities to heal or even retreat in the field!

"Semper Vigilo"
Brother Venn

Venn then stood up, walking silently among the men, giving them determined nods and wordless encouragements on how to hold and swing their weapons. Putting steel in their eyes if ever a man could with such small actions. Over to Ethinius he walked, staring into his cheerful face. The face of bravery and youth, glowing with the tiny smirk of confidence upon his lips. It was a look Venn had seen before in many of the younger brothers of his own order. In the past that look would have given him hope, in the past he may have worn that smile himself. But now he did not smile, the look evoked another emotion entirely: fear. Fear that such confidence would be a quick undoing to those who did not use caution alongside it. The same fear he had seen in so many of those young brothers' eyes before it was extinguished forever.

"Your bravery is admirable, but do not let complacency cloud your judgement. One man, no matter how strong and whatever beast may follow, is no match for an army. But do not be discouraged, your thoughts are not without merit. Perhaps there is some way to distract what enemies we can while we make our way quietly inside. Sergeant, you spoke of an area laden with traps. Would it be possible for a few men to activate them safely in such a way that may distract some of these creatures toward it, and then flee themselves to join the main force? Meanwhile we make our way through the crack in the gatehouse tower, looking for a way to open the gate and simultaneously searching for any clue as to our missing scouts. A small group of men might be able to sneak in while the rest quietly await the opening of the gate. And if luck may hold then the attention of the enemy will be diverted somewhere else entirely.

Venn looked around to the men, gauging the responses on their features with his words to Ethinius. "With the knowledge at hand, I believe this to be the best course of action, and should we so choose I for one will be going for the gatehouse. Who else would accompany me on this task?" Venn's voice striking out to the hearts of the men, in his own soft spoken sort of way. The fire in his own heart doing all it would to spread to the company now before him.

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg

Tohnas Veldregen

"I'm not sure if the traps are designed to alert the fish creatures to our presence, the scouts spoke of them as though they had already been there for some time. Whoever last held Direhold must have laid them... I wonder why they abandoned the fortress, though." Tohnas countered Brother Venn while carefully placing his empty stew bowl underneath his stool, "But I do like the idea of having your party take one way while a select group of soldiers take another direction. I'd forgotten I have a handful of notable soldiers that could make the trip. They might even get to the gatehouse before you, haha!"

"Also, the distraction thing you keep bringing up." the Sergeant added, now pacing back and forth in front of the crackling fire, "Our main forces will be preparing to besiege the fortress while we wait for the gate to open. We have a handful of siege gear and plenty of arrows to distract them with. The idea is for the soldiers we have to hold their attention while one or two strike teams disable their primary defense and the rest of us swarm in and use superior equipment and strategy to win the battle. You'll join us quickly as you can, flanking the enemy from the fortress and massacring whatever fish people are left. That's the idea anyway, not sure how this whole thing will actually go down."

Last edited:

Spirit Monk

Brother Loroc

"Well it sounds like you're still planning how to most easily take this fortress back! I'm not much of a soldier, I've only been sent to provide assistance in any way that I can! If you find that Venn is right and the best course of action would be to sneak in with a small contingent then I would like to volunteer to help in this task!" Loroc boomed as he set down his fifth bowl of stew. "I'll let you all decide what the best course of action would be! If you find that you need my help then I shall be happy to provide it!" After a respectful bow, he took his leave and made his way to his tent to meditate and begin his evening workout.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back