Other Do you like your RP's to have a significant ending, and has it ever come to that?

Vespura

For some reason, I can't ever get a roleplay to have a conclusion. Someone always drops out before that can happen, or the story seems to go nowhere and becomes pointless. Has anyone ever had a significant conclusion to a roleplay, like a book would have, or has it always been a mass of random events that lead nowhere?

One of my roleplays did end. It was one of my first, but the conclusion was pretty out of left field with one character committing suicide and is just going "well, we can't really go from here...".

Nonetheless, my roleplays are not "masses of random events" nor do they need a conclusion to be worth it as stories. The first one is because I am a planner by nature. The events in my roleplays are not random, they are always either a follow-up from what happened right before or something which is specifically meant for a narrative purpose such as expanding upon the characters or moving the plot in a certain direction with an ultimate goal in mind. There is always a narrative purpose and structure with me.

The second matter is that, my personal philosophy is to make each post worth it on it's own. So that I don't regret roleplaying itself, I strive to make something of value with everything I do for my roleplays, something with value of it's own that I can be proud of having made when I look back. This way, even if a roleplay ends before it's story does, I can still feel satisfied.

I'm playing 1x1 and I always play them in episode format. So while the actual rp didn't end, I've already concluded several episodes in them.
Think of the episodes as a story arc, rather than a chapter. The episode tells a complete story in itself. And then is followed by another episode about the same characters. Which may or may not be direct follow up to the episode that just ended.
I found this format the most suitable for me to rp in as you have the feeling of completion even if rp doesn't end yet.

Last edited:
Only one of my rp's have ever ended, but most of my rp's did actually have a plot. However, even though they've had main plots, they never really had structure now that I think about it. I always try to add it in my own way, but it never fully goes as planned. The one that did end, though, ended amazing. We were roleplaying it for three, going on four years, and we both just decided we were kinda over it, so we ended it. It was by far my favorite roleplay I've ever done till this day.

A few of mine ended "softly" where the adventure just got done and the characters ended up chilling out and socializing until we made a new thread after a hiatus. One ended with both characters brutally dying next to each other on a battlefield.i liked having an ending, but it doesn't need to happen. I find if you have something in mind to begin with (a task to perform, for example) it's easier to actually get to the ending. I try to do that nowadays. But I suck at writing endings 8)

In a completely random nonsense type of way. 8,000 posts of pure random nonsense included fandom characters as well as original characters dying and coming back to life with the final and I do mean final conclusion involving an appearance from DMC Dante riding in on his motorcycle to kill the bad guy before riding off in the sunset. *Sigh*

In a completely random nonsense type of way. 8,000 posts of pure random nonsense included fandom characters as well as original characters dying and coming back to life with the final and I do mean final conclusion involving an appearance from DMC Dante riding in on his motorcycle to kill the bad guy before riding off in the sunset. *Sigh*
sounds like shounen anime on crack.

In the RPs I've made and joined in the past, I've managed to get a few conclusions; however, only one was satisfactory to me. Basically, to ensure a conclusion have back up plan if people drop RPs, and plan aspects of the RP beforehand, but not in its entirety, so it doesn't feel random, but it allows player choice.

For me it really depends. My idea of an ending is that it should feel satisfying. Likely at this point every conflict has been resolved and the characters can finally rest, or reflect on how far they actually came. And have it end with everyone able to live happily (Or unhappily if your into that)... if you just want the RP to be the end, like no more sequels.
Sequels in my opinion are a lot tougher and I have never personally worked with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back