Experiences Do you like RP fanart?

Do you like to receive art from your partner?

• Yes, it's cute!

Votes: 46 100.0%
  • God no.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Strawberry Ink

Positively Primeval
This question has been on my mind recently and since I am a paranoid ass I am curious what other people's opinons are. Sorry if this is the wrong place btw!

Basically, do you enjoy it when your partner draws your character/pairing or scene from the rp you're doing? Do you find it weird, cringey or annoying?

I personally like it when I get drawings like that and I like making them too. However, lately I have been wondering if it is awkward for the other person? This is all assuming your rp has been going on for a while. I'm sure it would be a little weird if the rp just started, although feel free to comment on that scenario as well.

I personally like when rp partner is inspired enough by our rp to draw a fanart. I think it's a sign they enjoy it.
I would draw too!

If unsure if rp partner likes that... well, wouldn't hurt to ask. But usually I get happy responses and I am happy as well if I get a fanart.
Especially if rp is going in for a while. It would mean it's still fun and inspiring!

Not at all. I’m not super precious about my characters. I wouldn’t mind if someone drew my character, a scene, etc.

Whether it's early on in the RP or more late, I just love seeing my work repurposed in general. I like when people use the ideas I give them or worlds I make, I like when people use the powers I make up for them in my "idea makes you a superpower" thread, I giggle and get excited like a little kid when a partner says they want to make art of my characters potentially, though with one exception (that was more like, the whole group as opposed to a 1x1 or my character personally, so I'll let you decide whether it counts) nobody has come through on such a thing to this day, although I did get art made of me as a birthday gift once and I absolutely loved it <3

Cute Lovey Shorty.gif

So, all in all though I have basically never received fanart of one of my RPs before, I would absolutely love to, and I see it as a huge bonus to the point where in some of my past interest checks I have added being an artist as a criteria in the bonus section (where I indicate things that give extra points but aren't strictly necessary for me).

It's amazing! Who wouldn't love to have their chars drawn from a new perspective? It's refreshing and it's a really nice gift! It's not awkward at all.

I love to have my characters drawn. I've had a piece gifted to me, commissioned a few others, and am in the process of having one done now. I think when someone is appreciative of or interested or invested enough in your characters/the world you've created together to want to take the time to draw something rp-related, it can only be taken as a compliment. I don't see why it would be cringy. It's such a nice thing to do and share!

Yeah, I can totally agree with the above post. Having something drawn for a roleplay is just a really good thing, regardless of what people might think, whether it be a piece on background art, character art of their specific character or even your specific character, it doesn't matter, it's just a really good way for the artistic side of us to get involved in a roleplay.

I've never had a partner draw any of my characters or scenes or anything nor have I drawn anything for a partner, etc. I'm going to say I wouldn't find it cringy or weird or annoying but I wouldn't want it done.

Not that I wouldn't be appreciative, I just don't want someone to go through all that work. I have in my mind how my characters, places, scenes of my creation will be so to put that to paper might be hard to do.

Art done based on my writing is, for me, one of the most touching and personal compliments I can receive. I like to draw a lot myself, but it's difficult, and finding inspiration is harder, so when I see that someone not only went to the effort to draw for me, or at least partially for me, but also took inspiration from something I created, it makes me very happy!

I don't think I'd ever find it anything other than endearing and moving unless it was done without my consent in a sexual or romantic nature, but that's never been an issue for me anywhere, and it certainly shouldn't be here.

i really like getting art based on rps i've done! it makes me feel like the other person is genuinely really into it, and i just like seeing our ideas visualized in some way. that being said, i usually do fandom-based roleplays, so there's fanart of the characters involved either way, but something about knowing that it comes from something that i've roleplayed just makes me happy! in the rare case that i do rps with my own characters (i only have a few) i love having art made of them with or without it being based on a roleplay, so that's also really cool.​

Answers the poll knowing full well ain't no one saying "no" because every RPer is a damn goblin with giant grabby hands, ready to horde away any scrap of fanart they get of their OCs the SECOND it's presented to them. Could be a damn scribble and we'd be drooling over it and screaming "BACK FOUL BEAST" to anyone who tries to take it away from us!

It's pretty nice when someone uses their artistic skills to draw anything about some fictional universe you created. I'd say it's an honor really, they liked this story you have going on enough to go out of their way to draw something. It's another way to show appreciation towards a story, much like continuing said RP by posting, but instead of using words they used an image. I admit it does feel kind of bad though, since I can't draw at all and can't repay the favor in a similar way. Edit : I can do some small pixel art at best, which...I guess is something.

The first and only time it happened to me, I actually cried a little bit. I've done it for others multiple times though! I really like drawing art for people who I really like, especially someone you don't know, who wouldn't even expect it!

It's amazing! And so cute!

Knowing my partner has enjoyed our roleplay enough to actually stem a new branch from it makes me so happy.

I think it's something that gives the roleplay a bit more life, it's awesome! I've drawn fanart of roleplays a handful of times in the past, not only because it's inspiring and I wanna illustrate the interactions, but also because it was kind of a requirement for activity check in a roleplay group I was, so I grew used to coming up with images based on roleplay, and it's always really fun to talk about how each of the partners imagine the scenes and the characters. Plus, if you're not the one who drew, seeing someone use your character as an inspiration for other art feels very gratifying!

If there's anyone that's wondering if they should draw art of their roleplay, I 100% encourage you to do it. It's gonna be fun both for you and your partners <3

I've usually been solicited for art or commissioned, but every time I've gifted it's been well-received. I have gotten my fair share of art from others, and it's honestly so validating it makes me w e a k

Y'know, I've only ever had one partner who did draw one of my chars, and it gave me a whole new perspective. If you can write a character well enough that others can accurately draw them, then you're doing pretty well. It's pretty satisfying to receive art (though I can't draw so I have yet to send any)

Yes, yes, YES. I will never say no to receiving art of my character from a partner. If only I were talented enough with drawing, then I would gladly return the favor.

Big YES and I'm so happy to see other people agree. Any situation where someone would devote creative energy to showing me they liked something I made is absolutely touching to me. To people saying they aren't talented enough to make art for their partners and stuff like that, I can't speak for everyone but I think of making something for your RP partner as a gift and it's always the thought that counts. Even if you don't think it's any good, I bet any partner worth having would be overjoyed.
(Also sometimes if I wanna show how much I love a character but don't feel very draw-y I make stuff like moodboards or themed playlists, because it's a little easier but still requires thought and care and effort. Even if you absolutely don't art, there's probably something you can do to show that appreciation.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back