• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

[DnD 5ed] Small adventure is waiting for a group (open again!)

kevintheradioguy

Salt
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
edit [May 03]: Someone had to withdraw because of sudden business, so we're looking for a player or two again!

[class=fon] height: 560px; background-color:#293136; padding:10px; margin:auto;center; overflow:auto; [/class]
[div class=fon]

[class=header] width: 700px; height: 450px; background:url(https://i.gyazo.com/a8432161570e67d9cb0c449dfadd266b.png); background-color:#f4f4f4; background-opacity:20%; font: Verdana; font-size:11px; font-color:#1a1f26; align:justify; padding:10px; margin:auto;center; overflow:auto; border:1px solid #39404a; [/class]
[div class=header]

INTRODUCTION

Good day ladies and gents. I'm willing to DM a small module of 5ed Dungeons and Dragons. I never DMed anything like this on this website or come to think of it, a forum at all, so I'll be happy to get any help in regards of local traditions, on-site dice rolling system, etc.

I am a rather relaxed DM, and by no means a rules lawyer, believing that sometimes certain rules can be neglected in favour of storytelling - after all, we are here to have fun first and foremost. By an extent, I am rather unwelcoming to rules lawyers and munchkins, so think twice in case you think you might be considered one.

Please, before applying, read the entire thread, as I might be asking for applicants to so a little more than just writing "Interested!".

________________​

ABOUT THE MODULE

Whether in search for rare herbs, hiding from the law, or just in an attempt to take a shortcut while travelling from one city to another, out heroes find themselves going deeper and deeper in a ghastly swamp. The deeper they go, the thicker the fog is, the sharper feeling of danger becomes, and the more lifeless it becomes, mist curling up into hideous hands ready to grab an unsuspecting prey, sun dimmed by thick clouds, trees - just a rioting skeletons of their former self. That is not before they stumble into what seems to be a crumbling carcass of once large city, thin, starving, rotting figures of people aimlessly wandering just on the edge of their sight, and soon find themselves captured by what is left of the royal guardsmen and taken to the dungeon, suspected in murdering.

After being questioned, they learn that the city has been nearly destroyed and cursed, and that mages, forming the higher class of the citizen and once creating the beautiful gardens and orchards of the area that is now flooded and swamped, drained of their power by a wizard, now hiding in a giant swampy crater - a leftover of his magic. They are tasked to travel down into it, and retrieve an object the wizard used to store their power - an old silver locker, to let them gain their magic back, and return the city-state to its former glory.

The module is written for a party of three to four first level characters that might get levelled during the campaign to level six to eight. Which is pretty much a lot. I'd really prefer if you'd keep to the classical classes from PHB, however, if you want to take your class as, for example, a Rogue, but play your character as a pirate; or a Warrior, and present him as a duelist - be my guest. I just would like to keep the mechanics simple and understandable for everyone, whether or not they've read anything but PHB.

That being said, if you're new to this, it is totally fine. I will not dwell in metaphysics of the world, and if you know the system even through mentioned PHB, that should be enough for the experience.

I never make a module unpassable without a battle, so social or sneaky types are very much allowed, as well as fighters, clerics, etc. However, I would not suggest your characters to be leaning towards urban interactions, as there is little urban to be had in the module.

Please, refrain from homebrew races and classes.

________________​

WHAT I EXPECT

I expect roleplaying for the most part. Roleplaying. As in, playing a specific role, being true to your character and their personality, etc.

I expect you not trying to break the game.

I expect you to at least check your post through Word or any built-in grammar checker. I'm sure I made typos here myself, but I would like to understand what you're trying to say, and read you post immersed in what you have told me, instead of facepalm because of "your welcome".

I expect you to throw any "buts" and arguments into PMs instead of public places.

I expect you to be civilised and nice as a player (not the character), and not start any drama because of the module.

________________​

APPLYING FOR THE MODULE

In short, answer here, adding who you want to play as (roughly), telling a little bit about them (note, a little bit - I will be honest while saying I will not read pages upon pages of backstory, I just would like to know who do you prefer to play as, as well as to see if our styles of narrative click), and mention about how they got into the said swamp, their goals (short and long-term), desires, and flaws. Special notes about goals, desires, and flaws, I don't mean something like "a terrible swettooth, likes chocolate too much", I mean triggers a DM can use to guide your character.

After a needed number of applicants will be reached or exceeded, and the thread closed, I'll make a PM thread, where we'll discuss organisation moments where we'll discuss about dice rolls, where exactly do we start, talk about characters and their sheets, etc. After that, a thread shall be started on these forums with the game.

I'd like to keep formatting to a minimum, and forget about the existence of bold, coloured, and differently fonted text, and just stick to links, proper grammar and punctuation, links for any images instead of images themselves, and using formatting only to emphasize something, like I did just there.

Third person limited, as usual.

________________​

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS

Ask here, I'll reply.
[/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
Hey there, I'm interested. :) Before anything else, though, I have two questions.
1. How are stats to be determined? Roll 4d6, standard, point-buy, etc.
2. Would a mute PC sound interesting to you or something you'd rather not have? Mute as in cannot speak, not cannot communicate.

Edit:
I so far plan on a rather quirky and mischievous (High) Elf (Path of the Totem Warrior) Barbarian.

Last edited:
1. How are stats to be determined? Roll 4d6, standard, point-buy, etc.
I usually give my players a possibility to make their own character, so it's point-buy. With reasonable limits, such as, for example, I'd prefer no stat being over 18 at level one.

2. Would a mute PC sound interesting to you or something you'd rather not have? Mute as in cannot speak, not cannot communicate.
Whatever hits your rhythm, really. If you want and can RP a mute character, it's absolutely fine by me. It just means that your language(s) is a sign one, if you want.

Alright, now this sounds like something I'd be interested in! I have a question though, and there are no wrong answers. What alignments are you accepting for the campaign? Are there strictly no evil PCs or is it alright so long as they don't over do it?

Depending on the answer I'd either be playing a NE Wood Elf Warlock (Old One) that lies through his teeth or a kindly Half Elf Paladin (LG; Oath of Devotion) who's searching for his lost memories.

What alignments are you accepting for the campaign? Are there strictly no evil PCs or is it alright so long as they don't over do it?
I am never against any alignment in my game.
This might be the question more fit to other people playing. I imagine, the only good person in a party, or the only chaotic one, might have problems.

There was a LE person in one of my games, where the leader was CG (leaning to NG), and others being whether NG, or CG. A.k.a., he didn't fit neither with his leaning towards organisations, nor with his evil nature. And he had the hardest time playing out character, and eventually had to quit and take a new one, because he was restrained by other party members.

However, my personal opinion is, that alignment doesn't matter as much as people make it to be. It is just a certain frame that signifies what personality are you going to play as. That, instead of describing what is your character's chain of thoughts, and what he/she values, you can just say "chaotic neutral" to give a general idea of how the character acts.
This is especially true for 5ed, that didn't put any alignment restrictions on classes, spells, etc.

Also, how are we handling levels? Are we using experience, or are we using milestones? I honestly prefer milestones, but I'll do XP too.
I think nowadays it's always milestones in campaigns, ever since it became more of a role playing thing, rather than a hack and slash one.
I often mix stuff, however. If you, say, found a secret boss and defeated it, or used some unusual tactics, I'm giving out a level up.

I think nowadays it's always milestones in campaigns, ever since it became more of a role playing thing, rather than a hack and slash one.
I often mix stuff, however. If you, say, found a secret boss and defeated it, or used some unusual tactics, I'm giving out a level up.
That's fine with me. I like milestones because it means everyone's on the same level, but your system also rewards exceptional players, which is good.

I usually give my players a possibility to make their own character, so it's point-buy. With reasonable limits, such as, for example, I'd prefer no stat being over 18 at level one.

Whatever hits your rhythm, really. If you want and can RP a mute character, it's absolutely fine by me. It just means that your language(s) is a sign one, if you want.

Can I use the SCAG totem spirits or would you prefer it all to be PHB?

Ooh, I'm interested! I've been playing 5e lately, and I'm interested in a sort of nontraditional character... a LN multiclassing sorcerer/barbarian who was adopted into the noble background as a kid. I have an alternate character I can pitch if that's too out there.

Can I use the SCAG totem spirits or would you prefer it all to be PHB?
I'd really prefer to stick to PHB, but if that's important to your character, then go on.
Mostly I am against homebrew classes/races, etc., as more often than not, a person who does them, try to make a perfect set for themselves that looks balanced instead of just making a balanced set.

Ooh, I'm interested! I've been playing 5e lately, and I'm interested in a sort of nontraditional character... a LN multiclassing sorcerer/barbarian who was adopted into the noble background as a kid. I have an alternate character I can pitch if that's too out there.
If you can roleplay it - by all means.

I'm still interested! I just have to get my stats in one place ^v^ I personally can't do PMs quite yet, since I'm still new to the site...

Yep, I'm still down to clown. I was going to say we should take it to the PMs but if Jasper can't then I guess this is our best bet until he can.

Also, I'll be playing a fighter instead of a thief. I just saw a video about making Jon Snow in 5e and want use the stats and overall personality as a base. He'll have a unique background, though.

Aw man, is this the group full? If not, will you accept a complete newbie to the game? I've been looking for a group to join. I have the PHB at least, if that matters. It's completely fine if you don't want a noob/don't want any more members. I won't take offense. :)

Aw man, is this the group full? If not, will you accept a complete newbie to the game? I've been looking for a group to join. I have the PHB at least, if that matters. It's completely fine if you don't want a noob/don't want any more members. I won't take offense. :)
I am very newbee-positive. And ready to walk them.
I think another player won't break things, and there's always a chance someone would drop off.

However, I'm happy to come up with a 1x1 thingy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back