• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Demimonde - CANCELLED

Naril

Tinker, tailor, lover, thief
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Demimonde

A Paranormal Investigation Story

The pitch:

There have always been monsters under the bed. The thing is, these days, for the most part they've figured out that the best way to make it from one night to another is to maybe leave the beds alone. After all, the kids have flashlights built into their cell phones now, and nobody wants to wind up being the next viral Tiktok video.

The supernatural world is tough gig, these days. Modern society, as a rule, doesn't have a lot of room for werewolves that aren't on a movie screen, and besides, it turns out that quantity of bullets can count for even more than whether or not they're full of silver. The creatures of myth and legend, the things that inspire campfire stories and tall tales, and the heroes who can get a whole tavern pounding the table ot their stories, well. They might still be out there - but you'll find them at the edges, in the margins, in the places where the shadows are deepest. At least, that was the story for a long, long time.

At the turn of the last millenium, while stock brokers, bankers, and the denizens of the nascent Internet worried that their computers would count a year with three zeros as the End of Days, the dead rose. Not all of them, of course, and not all at once - and that isn't even the strangest thing that's happened since NSYNC was at the top of the charts. But it is one of the more alarming, even for the creatures of myth and legend that have been here all along, living in the cracks between this world and the next. And on the heels of the dead came other things, or at least the feeling, the dread, that there was worse out there, waiting for their moment.

The rules had changed. The world is different, and little by little, some things have come out of the shadows. But that doesn't mean that we're living in an age of magic and mysticism. For the most part, the supernatural has proven itself to be...inconvenient, at best. When the ghost of your dead uncle won't leave the house and just hovers over the mashed potatoes, silent and impassive, it puts a real damper on family dinners. And at the same time, there has been no nation of the Fair Folk stepping into Fashion Week and beguiling mortals, and if there are any gods about, they still aren't picking up the metaphorical phone. The sharp rise, however, of supernatural chaos has created a new field of those with the ability, inclination, and, perhaps, heredity, to deal with things that can't otherwise be managed by church or state.

And that's where we come in. Our characters will be part of a paranormal services firm - agency being much too grand a term. We're somewhere between the Ghostbusters and the BPRD, between exterminators and private eyes. We are exorcists, god-botherers, ritualists and kitchen witches. We're not the last line of defense - not even close - but we straddle the line between the real and unreal, living between the world that was and the world that is. We don't have the answers, and we might not even know how to get them, but when something weird happens...well. We're in the phone book.

-----------------

Hi! This is an idea I've had swirling around for a little while. This will be an urban fantasy/paranormal investigation story in a world that draws tremendous inspiration from Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, NK Jemisin's Great Cities books, Cherie Priest's Cheshire Red Reports (And probably a little from the Clockwork Century), the Penny Dreadful television series, the Hellboy and BPRD movies and comics, Ghostbusters, and a thousand other places besides. It's spooky season, so it's time to do some spooky writing, right?

So, here's the very quick rundown:

- This is just the interest check, so for the handful of you who have written with me before, I'm making an effort to be a little less baroque and wordy than usual.

- Consider this advanced-literate, I suppose.

- I don't get a lot out of elaborately-coded posts. If you do, great, and I won't stop you. But what you're seeing here is about the limit of what I'm all that interested in.

- Posting requirements will be "when we can get around to it." Read to the bottom to see why I'm not going to have any "post by this time for momentum" reasoning.

- The story will be set in Los Angeles, California, in the United States.

- I am looking primarily for both older writers and older characters. This is firmly 18+, and preferably quite a lot older than that.

- I'm not looking for a lot of grimdark and ultra-noir feeling here. We may go to dark places, but there's dark and there's dark.

- I'm not looking for a very large cast. This will not be first-come, first-served.

-----------------

Still here? Great! So, let's talk a little bit about how I'm planning to build this - provided it gets enough interest.

On Characters

This will be an ensemble cast kind of thing. I'm not certain if I'm going to have a character in play, but what I'm looking for is a group of folks who get along, and who want to tell the story together. Everyone will get their chance to do something awesome, but I will be looking for characters that function well in a group. I really am not going to be looking for a Main Character and a bunch of Supporting Characters. Everyone should have something that makes them unique, special, or interesting, and then it's our job to make sure everyone gets to do cool things.

I want to be very clear that your characters are all going to the protagonists of the story. They're the good guys - or at least the less-bad-guys, let's not pretend that every solution will be so clear cut. I don't need everyone to hold hands and get along, but they all need to be able to face in the same narrative driection. Very likely, it will make sense for the characters to have known one another for a little while, and worked together already.

This means that I am, for example, not looking for the moody, orphaned loner who communicates only in ironic sneers. I am not looking for a psychotic berserker. I'd quite like for characters to have an interesting reputation, but I would prefer that reputation to not be "The Butcher" of anything (Unless, I suppose, they own a really good carneceria). I am not looking for the "Secretly the Villain" character, unless we have a very long conversation and I'm impressed with the idea. I don't think the passive wallflower, wracked by self-doubt and who goes with the flow will do well in this story.

I'm only putting this here because it's happened to me before - I'm looking, broadly, for original characters. If your character is a mythological creature, a household spirit, or a folk hero, that's one thing - but if they're the title character from Mob Psycho 100 or "One of the K/DA Girls," I will not be particularly impressed.

I do want your characters to be old enough to be out of college. Unless you give me a really good reason, I'd like everyone to have a body of knowledge and both the physical and mental maturity of someone in at least their mid-twenties. The gag of not knowing what a smartphone is, or of being surprised at the existence of a car, is funny exactly once, you know?

I have no problem if your character isn't human. But if you're a three-meter crocodile monster, I will have a lot of questions.

While this isn't first-come, first-served, I'm not going to make you come up with a full character sheet right away. That's a lot of work, and I get it. Nobody wants to feel like that work went to waste. I will, instead, be asking you to give me your character's elevator pitch - something short, to the point, that gets a broad but complete view across, and we'll work from there.

-----------------

On Story

I don't really want to do the traditional GM Post / Cast Posts call-and-response. I want to try something a little...experimental.

Provided this gets enough interest, I plan for OOC stuff to be handled through Discord. I have several ideas for 'cases,' and a general notion of an overarching story that I think could be fun, but I want us to create the story together. I want us all to have the outline for the story built, at least in broad strokes, before the first post goes up. In other words, I want to have the bones of the story for all of us to see, agree on, and modify as and when it may be necessary - which means that the actual posting will be the all of us showing one another what we're doing with the story, together. I am always excited to read a post, no matter where or from who, but this will let us have the anticipation of "How is this person going to write this scene," or "How will that person write this combat sequence." I want to try an environment where we're writing not only to impress one another, but in a way where we're all building the story with our own craft, rather than tabletop-style "The GM says something, and you respond to it." It may not work! But I'd like to try.

I have some wrinkles I can suggest for this that will let us still surprise one another - but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Last edited:
An excellent idea, for sure! Just a little spitball idea, would a "camera man" of sorts be a neat idea to play with? Someone who tags along with no real paranormal experience, charged with documenting absolutely everything? Obviously if this doesn't fit I'd still be interested regardless, just a little tidbit off the top of my head.

Hiya!

My immediate reaction would be that we'd have to talk about it; on the surface I get the feeling that character would be a fun NPC rather than a central ensemble cast member. I don't really anticipate the need for an 'audience surrogate' character, at least right now - but I'm always willing to talk.

That said, there's probably something fun we could do with a character who's got a camera around them at all times - maybe it's a magic camera that can capture a moment of powerful emotion, revealing the past to the present - or at least, a past. Perhaps looking through the lens is how a character opens their third eye, and can take snapshots of magic.

Discord link added at the top!

I think I have a character that could fit well in this setting, with a bit of tweaking. How would the firm have advertised their need for employees? Is it a "they find you" scenario or would they have had an ad up like any other business? Also roughly how long has the firm been in business?

I think I have a character that could fit well in this setting, with a bit of tweaking. How would the firm have advertised their need for employees? Is it a "they find you" scenario or would they have had an ad up like any other business? Also roughly how long has the firm been in business?

I'm going to say that the business has existed - with a business license, tax ID number, and frustrated accountant - for about 20 years. It may or may not have existed, in an unofficial capacity, longer than that, depending on if that makes sense within the story.

In terms of recruitment, broadly I'm going to leave that up to you - with the guide rails that the organization has never delivered a "join or die" ultimatum, is not normally associated with law enforcement (official or otherwise), and has no particular societal power beyond the "gumshoe with an office" setting style. The place is firmly street-level and blue-collar; while there may be a community of other spook-management-services, nobody has a direct line to the Mayor or the FBI. I think it's equally likely that the place might grow organically - in the "hey, you seem suited for this line of work, want to give it a try" kind of way, or that there's a Help Wanted ad stuck to a corkboard in a bar frequented by the spooky side of the street.

Would you be okay if I PM you the character sheet I have for my character so you can get a sense of who she is and we can talk about how I can edit her to fit better within the setting?

Heya,

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but at the moment I'm largely gauging interest. I'm happy to see some character pitches, but I'm not really looking for full sheets at the moment.

By 'character pitches,' I mean something short, sweet, punchy, and intriguing, For example:

Felicity Pollux, an atheist exorcist. Honest, guilty, and broke.

Shiloh van Buren, the first Valkyrie in a thousand years. Masters in Library Science.

Richard Sumner, who gambled away his soul. The thing is, he won another.

I don't mind if you're a little more wordy than that, but for right now, I want The Short Version.

If anyone has an 'urban fantasy character' that you like and you might want to fit in here, that's wonderful. I'm certainly not going to say no, but this is the place I want to start at. Take a step back, look through the character, and tell me what the pitch is. The character may evolve through the creation/outline process I'd like to follow, or they may wind up being precisely the same person, but with a few words changed. We'll find out together!

You can put them here, DM me, or toss them in the Discord. I'm very easy!

Hello!

Well, I'll say this has failed to find an audience, and that's okay! I'll leave you with one of my favorite plant facts:

A number of flowering plants produce seed pods that first grow, and later dry, in a way where a considerable amount of energy is stored in the tough, fibrous pod husk, like compressing a spring. When the seeds mature, and the plant is ready to disperse them, the pods will snap open, often with an audible pop (or, in the case of the sandbox tree, a loud crack), flinging the seeds a considerable distance from the original plant, where they will ideally grow into the next generation. This method of seed dispersal is, appropriately, called ballistochory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back