• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Death Of Magic...

ChoShadow

That One Fear In My Enemy's Eyes
Hello all!

My name is ChoShadow, but please just call me Shadow. Thank you!!

Anyway, I have an idea for an RP and I'd like some thoughts on it as I love collaborating and building worlds together with my fellow role-players!

The idea is simple in design, but has a few complex elements to keep in mind (which is why I'm asking for thoughts as sometimes I have been known to let some details clash in ways which they should not ;p)

So here we go!

The world is a parallel to our own, medieval in time period so the flint lock pistol is the pinnacle of weapon's tech, but even so it is outshone by magic.

The RP's main focus is the slow and eventual death of all magic forces in the world, thus leading into a world more like our own by the time the RP is concluded where magic is not but a fantasy and a memory.

However, that slow and eventual death of magic is sure to be a violent one, and one where many forces will not go quietly.

The world is descending into chaos due to mysterious forces at work in the shadows, and thus we have our story!

Now, on to the mechanics!

The RP focuses on various forms and methods of using magic, and that's another reason why I need thoughts and collaboration! I can't think of everything, so I need more ideas!!

There is elemental magic (fire, water, earth, wind, lightning, light, and darkness), and then there are other various forms like Summoning, Divination, Binding, Sealing, etc, etc. I have a list, but I'd prefer to keep it under wraps for the time being. I have to keep some surprises so you are all still on your toes after all!

But the main focus of the RP is that each of our characters will be very special, and play pivotal roles in the realization of the RP's focus of contributing to the slow and eventual death of all magic by the time the RP is concluded. It will be a heart wrenching tale, and many a tear (both IC and OOC) will be shed before it is through.

That said, this RP will not be for the faint of heart. It's not the violence so much as it is the sheer weight and volume of despair and tragedy which the RP will throw at you. If you can't handle loss and failure in copious amounts, then you may wish to move on to another, more happy RP.

Anyway, I digress!

If you're interested, please let me know right away! I am still working on the mechanics, so if you want to know something specific about the RP then ask away and I shall provide the answers for you! If enough people are interested, I'll create the RP as soon as I can and personally invite all those interested to it where you will be able to see all of the present mechanics and inner workings of the RP and get the full picture of what you are getting yourself into!

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting premise, a lot more original than some of the "Grab the McGuffin" stuff that I've seen.

I'm curious though, you say this game is about tragedy and despair, but I wonder if that's only from a certain angle? Yes, mages and those who depend on magic would be greatly mourning the loss, but I imagine for the brightest among the younger generation it could be a very exciting time. Magic is dying, meaning that things that were little more than curiosities when magic was available to do the job better (i.e. guns) will suddenly be gaining a lot of importance, meaning those who are inclined towards mechanical ingenuity would do very well for themselves in this new world. Wizard orders could be struggling to hold on to their power while tinkers guilds begin to rise to prominence, and you'd likely have people trying to use magic with and / or against technology. Powerful spellcasters may try to hoard magic and magic components, which could mean a very profitable era for bandits preying on mages who's magic is failing them.

To me, this world sounds like a world in the process of excruciating growing pains. It sounds like a time of tragedy and opportunity in near equal measure.

I'm not sure just right now if I have the time to join as a player, but I'm interested to see where this goes. I'll be keeping an eye on this, if it starts to gain momentum I may well jump in.

[QUOTE="Primal Conundrum]Interesting premise, a lot more original than some of the "Grab the McGuffin" stuff that I've seen.
I'm curious though, you say this game is about tragedy and despair, but I wonder if that's only from a certain angle? Yes, mages and those who depend on magic would be greatly mourning the loss, but I imagine for the brightest among the younger generation it could be a very exciting time. Magic is dying, meaning that things that were little more than curiosities when magic was available to do the job better (i.e. guns) will suddenly be gaining a lot of importance, meaning those who are inclined towards mechanical ingenuity would do very well for themselves in this new world. Wizard orders could be struggling to hold on to their power while tinkers guilds begin to rise to prominence, and you'd likely have people trying to use magic with and / or against technology. Powerful spellcasters may try to hoard magic and magic components, which could mean a very profitable era for bandits preying on mages who's magic is failing them.

To me, this world sounds like a world in the process of excruciating growing pains. It sounds like a time of tragedy and opportunity in near equal measure.

I'm not sure just right now if I have the time to join as a player, but I'm interested to see where this goes. I'll be keeping an eye on this, if it starts to gain momentum I may well jump in.

[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the reply, and you're right. I hadn't thought about that aspect of how things could be seen from that perspective. I'll definitely have to start adding those details.

Take care!

Hey Shadow! This is a really interesting concept! I'd definitley be interested in participating in this roleplay, when it starts! Though I am curious of what role the actual people will take. Will you have people in an association to destroy magic once and for all? Or just like there is a main idea but people aren't really organized in their advances against magic and just fighting one-against-magic?

I've got an idea of a character where he is a part of the magic community through blood/family/whatnot, but wants to help the death of magic and may act like an inside source! So long as that's ok!

Happy Canada Day to all me fellow Canadians!

- Xa

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested, although I'd like to know a bit more about the player's actual role, too. The concept sounds intriguing, anyway, from both sides.

Definitely interested. one of my favorite things to even do when playing in a fantasy setting (pathfinder or D&D) is to NOT use magic and still do better than any magic user, so this might be right up my alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back