• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

DBZ: Piracy on the Sea of Stars

Dietaku

Crimson Cool Sage
So, I've been meaning to try my hand at a DBZ rp series for a while now. I even considered trying out the licensed Fuzion system, as hilariously bad as that's purported to be. However, recently, a new system came out that may allow me to scratch this itch. It's a little barebones at the moment, but I think there's still a lot to work with. The system can be found here.

In addition, I've always thought that the Saiyan and Freeza arcs were the highlight of the story, and was disappointed that the weird aliens and potentially interesting powers and techniques they seemed to possess were never really expanded upon. To this end, I'd like to set the series in the middle of that. The Planet Trade Organization is said to have been a big place, and even with many of the power players gone, I imagine there would be a lot of movers and shakers out and about.

Premise: Chaos is sweeping space. A number of the upper echelons of the Planet Trade Organization have disappeared, and the remaining leaders are divvying up the remnants for their own purposes. As low-ranking soldiers, opportunity abounds. What will you do in this period of upheaval?

Party Size: 4-6

Note: I'll be bending canon somewhat for this. Saiyans will not be reduced to a handful, as the fact that somehow, Freeza managed to collect all Saiyans for destruction, so, yes, you can be a Saiyan. I'll also be reasoning that, with the incursion of the Saiyans, Earthlings are also taking their first steps into the wider universe, and so, would be available to use in this extraterrestrial series. I'd also caution some restraint against being intertwined in too many main characters, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for reading, and I'll be looking forward to seeing what you have!

I suppose that would be fine. Are you thinking of having some kind of split personality as well?

Sort of... I figured Launch, or at least Bad-Launch pragmatically encouraged her daughter into martial arts (after beating a list of 'competent' senseis out of Roshi ), given how much power and opportunity that opens up.

I was going to create a fighting style based of dual-mind techniques. Putting berzerk instinct in charge of the body, but directed tactically by dispassionate intellect.

Still reading the ruleset, but having just rewatched the Abridged Series and finally beaten the Buu saga on Xenoverse, I'm very interested. Saiyan time is a go! :3

Odd question, but when is this game kicking off... as measured by Gohan's age, the closest thing DBZ has to a good interment of time.

The game would be starting around five years after Namek or so, so...Gohan'd be about twelve at that point, factoring in the two years he spent in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber as well.

Hmm... ok, so if Goku is 20 years older then Gohan, he'd be 30, ignorng the HTC. He got married at 16... so my half-saiyan character would have been conceived ~14 years ago... at the bachelor party. Thus explaining Launch's sudden disappearance, as she didn't want to be a home wrecker.

vinom said:
Hmm... ok, so if Goku is 20 years older then Gohan, he'd be 30, ignorng the HTC. He got married at 16... so my half-saiyan character would have been conceived ~14 years ago... at the bachelor party. Thus explaining Launch's sudden disappearance, as she didn't want to be a home wrecker.
Your character's dad is Goku, then? Am I understanding that correctly? That would be difficult to explain at family reunions, then, being the Josuke of the family. Or, is that why she fled to space? To avoid that awkwardness?

I'm indeed the eldest (That I know of at least) child of Goku. My mom put distance between herself and her friends to keep from ruining Goku's young marriage with Chichi. My character's gone to space because stealing a Capsule Corps ship was the only way from getting away from her demanding mom.

vinom said:
Look, if you let Roshi plan the bachelor party, you should count yourself lucky if there is even a marriage at all.
Sorry, that's just not cool, as it verges on bad fanfiction territory due to its blatant reliance upon a canonical character acting out of character. EDIT: Mind you, if Roshi was the father, I'd not bat an eyelash. Same with Tien. Roshi trying to have sex with any female character he comes across was a staple of the show for more than two variations. And Blonde Launch had a thing for Tien for quite some time.

I do, however, really like the idea of a descendant of Launch also having a sneeze-based Transformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Thief of Words]Sorry, that's just not cool, as it verges on bad fanfiction territory due to its blatant reliance upon a canonical character acting out of character. EDIT: Mind you, if Roshi was the father, I'd not bat an eyelash. Same with Tien. Roshi trying to have sex with any female character he comes across was a staple of the show for more than two variations. And Blonde Launch had a thing for Tien for quite some time.
I do, however, really like the idea of a descendant of Launch also having a sneeze-based Transformation.

[/QUOTE]
I do get what you mean... Thing is, we are talking about Goku here. Sure he's a loveable heart of gold protagonist, but he's also a bit of a dolt who just spent 3 years on a floating platform training while he was going through the brunt of puberty. Add the emotional thrill of winning the World Martial Arts Tournament, defeating Piccolo Junior, getting married, and then copious quantities of alcohol, and I could imagine him making the dumb mistake of mistaking Launch for Chi-chi.

If Launch awoke first, she would know to extract herself from the situation, because Goku might ruin his happily ever after trying to do the right thing... her pregnancy wouldn't change that decision.

Still fundamentally bothers me. Because for all that everything was as it was, Goku is fundamentally honest and forthright to his core. One way or another, the fact would've made its way back to Chi Chi. Because face it, Goku wouldn't have withheld that he had sex. And blacking out to the point of having no memory whatsoever is extremely rare. Especially for someone in his shape.

Put another way, the whole thing rests on a really flimsy and fundamentally offensive pretext.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feel so strongly about it, I guess we could change it to Launch meeting and running away with some Tarble like saiyan some time before Raditz arrived... perhaps some historian or archeologist expecting to find a Goku ruined world.

Is that okay? Sorry that I went all full-on-nerdrage on you, just the Dragon Ball series was a tremendous part of my childhood. So tampering that majorly with the integrity of the characters sort of leaches away part of the appeal of the premise for me, if that makes sense.

No it's fine... course, they might have asked Shenron to make human-saiyan hybrids possible.

Er, going by the series, it is. Gohan, Goten, and Trunks are all living proof of that.

Or did you mean a viable and self-perpetuating sub-species by that?

I meant explaining the fact it's been demonstrated to be possble, despite how infeasible it is by use of dragon magic.

And yes.

I mean, the idea of two species that evolved on two planets being able to create viable offspring is massively farfetched. But Launch knows enough about the dragonballs to know they could solve this problem and she's a good enough friend to the Z-warriors that if she were to show up at Bulma's or Goku's asking for the dragonball radar or the 4-star dragonball to help deal with 'fertility issues' she'd get them with nothing more then the promise to bring them back.

I am aware that there's a timeline, my sojourn into the weirdness that is all the details of Dragon Ball Online made me aware of that. I merely did not have on-hand. Thank you, @Thief of Words .

As per the whole "Goku vs Not" for your character's father, @vinom, Something that I think is worth mentioning is I did mention that not all Saiyans were eradicated with the destruction of Vegeta, at least in regards to this RP. So, if being a Saiyan-Human hybrid is your intention, there's no need to be a child of Goku, Vegeta or Tarble. For instance, one could imagine that there were several Saiyans in Goku's generation sent to Earth in order to purge it of life, or even an older Saiyan going to ground to avoid Freeza and starting a family. Earth is supposed to be a veritable paradise, and supposedly in the middle of nowhere in regards to the Planet Trade Organization's thoughts on the matter. It wouldn't be unfeasible to think that various alien refugees, Saiyan or otherwise, would flock there.

As per Dragon magic being needed to make Saiyan Hybrids possible, I don't think it's necessary. Does real-world genetics work like that, especially with how Saiyan physiology is later shown to be markedly different from humans? No, but then again, the real world doesn't let you gain super-powered strength, speed and stamina by doing road work. I think it's okay and internally consistent, at least with what's been shown in the series proper.

In regards to making them a viable sub-species, I think that's basically what happened to Humans in DBO. All Humans at that point had access to Saiyan blood, and while they couldn't transform into their Great Ape forms, they did have a semblance of the zenkai power boost (Whenever they got hurt, their power rose), and they could achieve Super Saiyan with training.

Ultimately, though, I foresee this RP largely sidestepping much of what is happening in the series, with perhaps, MAYBE, Future Trunks showing up in regards to canon characters, and that's only because DBO and Xenoverse have shown that Future Trunks can be pretty much anywhere, at any time, and be explained away, thanks to his time machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back