Darkening Skies - OOC

ehmygirl said:
Speaking of which, did we all have a great St. Patrick's Day?
No. Because I'm not Irish, it's just another day of work for me.

Captain Hesperus

See, as a person who lives in Ireland, like most Irish people (or at least those around Dublin), I ignore Paddy's Day, as the swarms of drunken tourists come to make a mess of the major cities.

We who are of the millions of Irish diaspora get sentimental. You do get the idiots who think it's nothing more than a day to do nothing but get drunk. I've had many people ask me if I drink green beer and I give them a disgusted look and tell them that the Irish don't drink green beer.

I have, however, been seeing a lot of comments from people who object to people not born in Ireland calling themselves Irish. It sounds very bitter to me. I might not have been born or raised in Ireland, might have been in Ireland for a single week, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate my heritage.

Being an American mutt, I simply appropriate minute aspects of all holidays into excuses to drink and eat food. Suffice to say, I had a good time :)

I'm an Irish-American mutt as well. I just enjoy the day off and the money coming into the economy.

As for ehmygirls statement, well, see, it depends. If one of your folks are Irish, then yeah, most Irish people will basically think you're Irish. It's when, usually Americans, claim to be Irish when they're several generation down the line from any Irish citizen. To quote the old joke "My grandmothers brother's sister's dog was Irish! That means we're practically cousins!"

And calling it "Patty's Day" which is just kind of ignorant.

Yeah, because it's got the sound of 'Paddy' and as a student of history like myself knows, that's an anti-Catholic religious slur.

Me, I see it as day when there's a lot of green. Pretty much it for me.

Well, no not quite.

Patty is a kind of American term for a hamburger. Paddy is a slang term for the Irish, about as offensive as calling an American a Yank, but also the Irish colloquial nickname for someone named Patrick, as the Gaelic translation of Patrick is Padraig. I've known a couple people called both, and in generally, they tend to be occasionally referred to as Paddy, and some solely as Paddy.

But yeah, the reason why the Irish dislike people calling it Patty's day is became it's basically ignoring the actual term and bastardising it, as America is wont to do.

*facepalm* I am an idiot. That is what paddy means and I forgot.

And yes, far too many Americans have a habit of being chauvinistic towards foreign cultures.

An actual offensive term for Irish Catholics is "Taeg", mostly used in Northern Ireland. That said, I'm not sure how to spell it, so that's my best approximation.

Silvertongued said:
An actual offensive term for Irish Catholics is "Taeg", mostly used in Northern Ireland. That said, I'm not sure how to spell it, so that's my best approximation.
Also derived from a name, actually - Tadhg. It's a name you see mostly in Connacht these days, for obvious reasons.

Pers'nally I just look at Americans several generations removed calling themselves anything but American to be a symptom of the nation's fucked up ideas about race. The distinctions are more cultural, this side of the pond - less 'you were born here' and more 'you understand customs, values, history, etc. as someone who has lived them.'

I've been told I'm honourarily Irish for having lived here two decades, but I consider myself mostly culturally English.

And see, that's how I view one's ancestry as well. My ancestors were from the British Isles and while I am American through and through, I consider myself of Irish, Scottish, English, and Cornish ancestry.

It's more than saying, my great-grandparents were from Stoke on Trent, moved to Canada, had my grandmother, moved to CA and therefore I am English. I am of English heritage and I take pride in that, especially on St. George's Day. I learn about the history, culture, and values, as you say of the people from which my ancestors hailed. I know people who are of Irish ancestry who couldn't care less about it.

This is also why I hate it when people say they're X-American. No, you're American. Just American. I'm not Irish-American because I'm not from Ireland. I'm just American.

However, should I have any kids, they'd be Anglo-American. My 4 month old nephew is Norwegian-American as he is both Norwegian and American.

Also @Blackadder you are grossly underestimating the power of that new bow. There wouldn't be any target left by the third shot and the back wall would be in a bad way.

And with that, our Ratkin is now a Level 4 Logos Mage. : D

Also fuckign hell that ROLL THO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see at least seven successes. That bulkhead is gonna be smoother and harder than Diamond, the hardest metal known to man.

p5p1W.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back