What's new
  • If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e City of Shaldra~Zin

Interested?

• Total voters
@Umber no problem! Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Two people is enough to start so I will begin the IC thread some time tonight! Hope everyone is ready to play. If either of you have any questions on anything just let me know!

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
@Umber no problem! Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Two people is enough to start so I will begin the IC thread some time tonight! Hope everyone is ready to play. If either of you have any questions on anything just let me know!
Looking forward to it. :)

Oh, and there is something else we missed, something big...

Ok, I posted the IC thread. I haven't proof read it or added any art/map for the opening post, but give it a read and make sure you are both still interested in the story.
IC Shaldra~Zin D&D5e

@Umber What did we miss?

Did you both get random trinkets from the core book roll table? You can also use the alternative roll table from Curse of Straud if you want something darker.

And be sure you have starting gold rolled up and added to your starting background gold. You will want it later.

Omnivorish

Professional Nom-nommer
Brazensong
Class: Bard
Race: Half-Orc
Experience Points: 0 / 300

Hit Points: 10 / 10
Armor Class: 12
Passive Perception: 10
Speed: 30 ft.

Initiative: +2
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Languages: Common, Orc

Armor Proficiencies: Light Armor
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tool Proficiencies: Drum, Viola, and Pan Flute
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Strength(+3), Dexterity(+2 + +1=+3), Constitution(+3), Intelligence(+0), Wisdom(+0) Charisma(+2 + +3 =+5)

STR: 12 (Plus Race Bonus = 14)(Mod.:+2)
DEX: 13(Mod:+1)
CON: 14 (Plus Race Bonus = 15)(Mod.:+2)
INT: 11(Mod.:+0)
WIS: 11(Mod.:+0)
CHA: 13(Mod.:+1)

Athletics: +2
Acrobatics: +3
Stealth: +1
Sleight of Hand: +1
Arcana: +0
Nature: +0
History: +0
Religion: +0
Investigation: +0
Animal Handling: +0
Medicine: +0
Insight: +0
Perception: +0
Survival: +0
Deception: +1
Performance: +3
Intimidation: +3
Persuasion: +3

Equipment:
- A longsword
-A viola
-Leather Armor
-A dagger
-A whip
-Entertainer's Pack: Includes a backpack, a bedroll, 2 costumes, 5 candles, 5 days of rations, a waterskin, and a disguise kit.
-Trinket: A 1-inch cube, each side painted a different color.

GP: 17

Racial Traits: Darkvision, Menacing, Relentless
Endurance, Savage Attacks

Background: Entertainer

Background Feature: By Popular Demand - You can always find a place to perform, usually in an inn or tavern but possibly with a circus, at a theater, or even in a noble’s court. At such a place, you receive free lodging and food of a modest or comfortable standard (depending on the quality of the establishment), as long as you perform each night. In addition, your performance makes you something of a local figure. When strangers recognize you in a town where you have performed, they typically take a liking to you.

Class Features: Spellcasting, Bardic Inspiration

Spell Casting
Spell Save DC = 13 (8 + 2 + 3)
Spell Attack Modifier = +3
Cantrips Known: 2 (Mage Hand, and Mending)
Spells Known: 4
-Cure Wounds
-Healing Word
-Unseen Servant
-Dissonant Whispers

I'm very interested in joining you three, please let me know if my character is allowed or if I forgot anything. :)

Last edited:

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
@Omnivorish You made a half-orc bard! Crap I didn't expect that, well now the prophecy (see below) may be fulfilled!
So what spells do you plan on taking?

@Grimsvald
Take a guess to what we missed. I'll give you a clue: a wizard is completely useless without them.

Oh and I gave Calvin 100gp (I rolled two 1s and two 4s) and I got him this trinket: "A small locked box that quietly hums a lovely melody at night but you always forget it in the morning" (I so wanted that book that records your dreams but this is still cool).

I shall post soon but in the meanwhile enjoy the result of my studious divinations!
There will be three mongrels who take to arts unsettling to their very nature,
And Their nature is dual, One craves a Light yet lives in its Shadow, One acts Chaotic to find an Order, One is a Balad of Barbarians

Another is a shadow, Another is a student, Another is a slave,

They are marked by:
They are marked by
: The lifeless mother - an maddenninng embodimennt of destructionn.
They are marked by
: The charming old woman - a two-formed beautiful slaver who cannot be escaped.
They are marked by:
and a defection from savagery.

Another is a shadow, a student, and a slave.

The two Cs and a B coverage in a born-as-ash City of a dead mage! Two reside there. one fled there,

When There Are Three Twos in One...
When There Are Three Twos in One...
The.. (Crap) um... They will!... Oh for heaven's sake I don't know! I'm just making this up as I go along! I am not the DM! Heck, there probably all going to die! They have no meat shields! The only have 26 hp total! A second level fighter could easily have more HP then three bloody half-orcs!

Oh, and tell me if you want to have any of this explained. Also, please tell me how my 'prophecies' could be improved

Last edited:

Cyan_

Yo @Umber that's cool as fuck. I read it twice because of how badass it was.

Though, yeah, when it comes to actual combat, we're going to have to be very careful. We'll probably have to be sneaking around a lot to accomplish things, or just avoiding it entirely.

Also @Grimsvald do we start with our starting equipment AND our (rolled) starting gold? If so, Cade'll have 60 more GP.

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
@Cyan_ ... Thank you! I am curious what your interpretation of it is? For example, who/what do you think the line: "The lifeless mother - an maddenninng embodimennt of destructionn." refers to?

According to the player's handbook we either get swag from our background and class or we roll for it but I think @Grimsvald is house-ruling that we get both.

Grimsvald

Elder Member
Yes, I am house ruling both gold options. Players have deep pockets in this game. It will be needed later.

Also, I guess combat goes a little smoother when wizards have spell lists.

Havent read your short story But I will try to after work.

Cyan_

@Umber It was fairly straight-forward. :) I think it really hypes the story up.

"There will be three mongrels who take to arts unsettling to their very nature, And Their nature is dual, One craves a Light yet lives in its Shadow, One acts Chaotic to find an Order, One is a Balad of Barbarians"

Three very untraditional half-orcs. A wizard. A rogue. A bard.
The wizard wants to achieve some kind of order and is willing to use chaotic means to achieve it. Not unlike the original wizard Shaldra~Zin.
The rogue wanted a taste of the city-life but finds it is more boring than expected. Despite wanting new and interesting things to happen in life, he lives unassuming in the slums, discontented.
The bard earns his living as an musical entertainer, always a surprising sight to see due to his orcish appearance.

"Another is a shadow, a student, and a slave."

The wizard mentored under his adoptive mother.
The rogue stays in the shadows.
The bard is chained to a demoness.

"They are marked by:
The lifeless mother - an maddenninng embodimennt of destructionn.
The charming old woman - a two-formed beautiful slaver who cannot be escaped.
and a defection from savagery."

The wizard's adoptive mother is a powerful wizard herself, not entirely human, and of a greatly dangerous nature.
The rogue defected from his tribe to start his own life in the city.
The bard is enslaved by a demoness who won't let him get away so easily.

"The two Cs and a B coverage in a born-as-ash City of a dead mage! Two reside there. one fled there,"

They will meet in Shaldra~Zin. Calvin, who came to the city from Gorn. Cade, who strayed from tribal lands. Brazensong, who has resided there for a while now with the company of a demoness.

Will they become legends? Or will they die trying? Probably the latter.

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
Also, I guess combat goes a little smoother when wizards have spell lists.
Yeah, just a little : )
So do you mind sharing some basic info for the Temple? Specifically, stuff relating to what it would be like to walk up to.

@Cyan_ You got most of the same things I got, well here's the rest. (It's been partly whited out and it is a lot less pretty..)

Don't read this one Grimsvald, read the original one first.
There will be three mongrels who take to arts unsettling to their very nature,
And Their nature is dual
(They all have some form of duality added to them), One craves a Light yet lives in its Shadow, One acts Chaotic to find an Order (said order being family and the chaos being running away), One is a Balad of Barbarians (also a play on the name 'Brazensong', lots of alliteration)

Another is a shadow, Another is a student, Another is a slave, (AIAS)

They are marked by:
The lifeless mother (she is infertile) - an maddenninng (she's insane and passed that down onto her son) embodimennt of destructionn
(she is a powerful Evoker wizard). (also nnote the poinntless addition of Ns, that meanns somethinng, I thinnnk.)
The charming old woman - a two-formed beautiful slaver who cannot be escaped. (@Omnivorish yep, this is from your character) Oh, and what spells do you plan to take?
and a defection from savagery.
(You could possibly add a character, preferably also female, that's related to Cade in some way. Like the cheiftan of his old tribe.)

Another is a shadow, a student, and a slave. (They join forces and form a cohesive whole. Fun fact, I originally just added this for no reason what so ever.) AIAS-ASAAS

The two Cs and a B (Two Cs= Calvin and Cade, the B= Brazensong) coverage in a born-as-ash (like a phoenix the City was destroyed (died), then rebuilt (reborn) but far weaker then it was before (like the ash that is left behind by fire)) City of a dead mage! Two reside there. one fled there,

When There Are Three Twos (the three dual-natured half-orcs) in One (City)...

AIAS-CCB-ASAAS sans ThTiTwOvOn
Toivn Towt

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Umber

The Shaldra~Zin temple to Illmater is found at the northern most point of the city. The penitent temple of Illmater. A humble sanctuary built of cheap stone and unrefined wood. All dyed white, not to seem more lavish than it is, but to mirror the purity of their god. The floor of the temple is made from unevenly laid wood that is uncomfortable beneath bare feet of its priests and patrons. Piety and martyrdom rule with an iron fist between these walls. The only escape from that rule is the entrance that lays in its southern wall. At both sides of its entrance stand white pillars that fade into an image of bound arms clasped at the top of the archway. Thick red rope wraps these hands together and drapes around the pillars, ending in heavy coiled piles at the top of the stairs. From this entrance you can look down on all of Shaldra~Zin. A city re-named after its most famous priest of Illmater. He was a martyr who ended the greatest war these lands had ever seen....although the way he did so may be obscured by the gilded hand of legend and truly understood only by the devout. The temple in its entirety resembles a squared Aztec temple in white. Every level of the temple is seperated into three rooms. The main and two long side rooms. The upper half is used for prayer. The lower half is used for living and the basement is their treasury.

@Cyan_

These clans are based off of an old African, Astrailian and Native American aesthetic. This is not the place to find plate mail, but you will find iron weapons. Common races are half orc, elf, gnomes. Common classes are Barbarian, druid, cleric, ranger, sorcerer. Bones are a common item in clothing or decor and some of the best spiritual enchanters in the nation can be found in tribes. A wonderful custom that only exists among the tribes is marks of passage. Apon conpleting rites of passage or great feats of legend enchanters of the tribe may tattoo a spell onto your flesh giving you power.

If you want something more specific we can work together to develop your clan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)