What's new
  • If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e City of Shaldra~Zin

Interested?

• Total voters

Grimsvald

Elder Member
I am looking to start a D&D 5e campaign with high fantasy and high grit. No unpublished races or classes and no Unearthed Arcana.

Grit: No HP regained at a short rest and only 1 class based hit die regained during a long rest. Healing spells and healing potions will work normally. Suffering a critical hit will result in a lingering wound or damaging of gear. Being knocked unconscious result in a minor wound or crippling feature that cannot be healed. Counter to this, damage will be described less dramatically. Only critical hits will be seen as attacks that make it past armor.

Determination: All of my NPCs have an alternative life bar called their determination. This can be lowered with charisma checks such as intimidation, persuade or charm spells. Some enemies will be resistant to these forms of damage such as a barbarian that cannot be intimidated or a narrow minded army captain that refused to be persuaded. This will give you all plenty of situations where you can resolve issues non violently.

XP: Experience points will be gifted in a check point system so no one will feel forced to kill in order to progress.

High Fantasy: Magic is common place so seeing it in use will not be a shock to anyone. It is as common as technology is to us in our world so a lot of people will see it as a necessary part of every day life. It will also be very common for you to acquire magical items and eventually build a wardrobe that lessens the impact of the Grit rules.

Roles: When you complete a task that requires a roll simply put it within brackets of some kind beside the sentence describing the actions taken. (Str. Check 15+3) or (Attack Roll 8+5)

Stats: Standard array or point buy. Nothing below 8 or above 15 before racial bonuses are applied. We will begin at level 1. I will require you to chose a background and roll for a trinket.

I am looking for 2-4 players to start quickly. There will be plenty of chances to add characters in later. Let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, post a character sheet and lets get this game rolling.

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
Can I make a noble half-orc wizard? Or would that be too unoptimised?

So his story starts with his infertile (because one of her ancestors pissed off a fey or demon or something) adoptive mother discovering the half-orc as a child abandoned in the middle of a forest. Finding the child cute (she's insane) and oddly compelling (possibly also because of the insanity) she took him in and raised him as her own child. None of her aristocratic peers thought it was worth upsetting her by objecting to the child's presence because she happens to be a scarily powerful wizard. (Besides, she's insane, this sort of thing is a regular occurrence. They've kinda got used to ignoring it.)

Oh and throw in a meek and overworked father who, despite their collective madness, loves his son and wife dearly.

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Umber there shouldn’t be a problem. As long as your character meets the rules set in the core books they should be fine for this campaign.

Cyan_

Hey there! I'd like to play a Half-Orc Rogue. I'll send you a sheet once I finish it. Working on it now.

Cyan_

CADE

Class: Rogue
Race: Half-Orc
Experience Points: 0 / 300

Hit Points: 7 / 7
Armor Class: 13
Passive Perception: 16
Speed: 30 ft.

Initiative: +2
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Languages: Common, Orc, Thieves' Cant,
Goblin

Armor Proficiencies: Light Armor
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons,
Hand crossbows, Longswords, Rapiers,
Shortswords
Tool Proficiencies: Thieves' Tools, Drums
STR: 12
DEX: 15

CON: 9
INT: 14

WIS: 15

CHA: 8
Athletics: +3
Acrobatics: +2
Stealth: +6
Sleight of Hand: +2

Arcana: +2
Nature: +2
History: +2
Religion: +2
Investigation: +4
Animal Handling: +2
Medicine: +2
Insight: +4
Perception: 6
Survival: +4
Deception: -1
Performance: -1
Intimidation: +1
Persuasion: -1
Equipment: Rapier, Shortbow, 20-arrow quiver,
Backpack, Messkit, Tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of
rations, Waterskin(full), 50 ft. of hempen rope, Leather
armor, 2 daggers, Thieves' tools, Hunting trap, Tattoos,
Traveler's clothes, Vest with one hundred tiny pockets
[36]

GP: 10

Racial Traits: Darkvision, Menacing, Relentless
Endurance, Savage Attacks

Background Feature: Tribe Heritage (Tribe Member)

Class Features: Expertise, Sneak Attack, Thieves' Cant

Last edited:

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
Now someone needs to make an half-orc bard that's in love with a pretty dwarf and were set.

@Cyan_ Do you plan on making an arcane trickster and, if so, what spells do you wish to take?

@Grimsvald So how should the whole nobility thing work? What would be the title be of Calvin Doillus Serpantuna Glasswater the Seventh (the Half-Orc) and his parents? I thinking his mother could be called (informally) something like Magdalene, the Mad Mage Marchioness of [Province that preferably starts with 'M']. Perhaps Mage-Marchioness/Marquess of [M-province] could be the official title.

Should I slightly re-word the position of privilege feature from this:
"Thanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk and merchants make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to."
to this:
"Thanks to your noble upbringing, people are less inclined to lynch you. You are tolerated in high society, and people are too scared to ask you to leave places you shouldn't be in. The common folk and merchants make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you marginally better than the peasantry. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to."
or should I just use the retainer variant feature?

Also, is this going to be roleplayed by post?

Last edited:

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Umber just go by the definition set in the rule book. Some people may pay your character respect relictently, but they will show it non the less. A royal figure heads they are some times accustomed to keeping their calm and being two faced for the sake of being proper.

There wont be any royalty in the city of shaldraZin other than knights and the mayor. The closest big city with actual regal families is a city called Gorn, its to the west. I you want your character to be from the east you can make up any details about your home that youd like.

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
@Umber just go by the definition set in the rule book. Some people may pay your character respect relictently, but they will show it non the less. A royal figure heads they are some times accustomed to keeping their calm and being two faced for the sake of being proper.

There wont be any royalty in the city of shaldraZin other than knights and the mayor. The closest big city with actual regal families is a city called Gorn, its to the west. I you want your character to be from the east you can make up any details about your home that youd like.
Noted, now what's the difference between the East and the West?

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Umber

To the west is a roman/aztec influenced matropolis called Gorn. Then friged mountains with small towns.

To the east of Shaldra-Zin are farm lands for miles. Then tribe lands that are a mix between keltic/african and astralian influence. Further away you will find some small villages and eventually port cities on the contanental coast.

Hope that answered your question without giving too much info away. Let me know if you have any more specific questions that I didnt answer.

Damafaud

Kitty
Ohhh interesting.

Where will this be hold? In RPNation? Discord? Another site? My timezone is UTC+7, so I can't join if realtime posting is required.

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
@Damafaud Make a half-orc bard, for it is your destiny and then we can become a trio of unparalleled munchinkery! Make them the greatest pop-start to walk the multiverse since Justin Biber!

@Umber I don't plan on going Arcane Trickster. :)
So I get mage hand!

@Umber

To the west is a Roman/Aztec influenced metropolis called Gorn. Then frigid mountains with small towns.

To the east of Shaldra-Zin are farmlands for miles. Then tribe lands that are a mix between Celtic/African and Australian influence. Further away you will find some small villages and eventually port cities on the continental coast.

Hope that answered your question without giving too much info away. Let me know if you have any more specific questions that I didn't answer.
Interesting, so where do you think an ancient and prominent noble house of wizards would live? What do you think of the province the family owns being called Meriaroth? Are their even Earls, Dukes and the like in this setting? Should we move this to PMs?

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Umber its good to keep the conversation public in case we answer a question on someone elses mind.

In the city of Gorn there are publicly appointed council members, marquis, dukes and the like. This is the capital city and home to the king.

In the east there are clan elders and jarls among the tribes. Mayors in the villages with outlaying lords.

Then in the port city there is a council of merchants and traders. There is also a counter culter council of pirates. These two groups work together to run this city.

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Cyan_ while we figure out the details of Umbers background, would you like to decide what brings Cade to the City of Shaldra-Zin and where in the city they would start out? Are they from this city or have they been here for an extended period of time already?

Cyan_

@Grimsvald Cade probably moved away from the tribal life somewhere in their becoming-an-adult-hood, longing for the city and a more civilized lifestyle. Nearest by place was Shaldra-Zin, and so that's where they went. So they'd have been here for a few years now. Where would you suggest they'd start? Whatever's most fitting to your starting plot hook would probably work fine.

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Cyan_ my plot hook should work for any place in or around the city. Thats why I like to ask and give options.

The city is a circle separated into 4 major parts and surrounded by a large guard wall.
South East- TheSlums.
South West - Suburbs and middle class.
North East - Rich side of town and education.
North West - Shops and open market.
At the North is a latge temple to Illmater attached to the guard wall
At the south is the central camand for the guard built into the wall.
Surrounding the town all the way around are farm lands owned by lords and cared for by surfs.

If you come from a tribal background the slums or farm lands may better fit your character.

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
@Grimsvald It is settled then, Gorn shall be the home of Calvin's family. So what do you think appropriate titles would be for him and his parents? I was thinking that his father could be an Earl of some sort.

In case you're wondering, he's gone to the City of Shaldra~Zin because, after he finally came of age according to the customs of his family ( become a Level 1 wizard), he was told the truth about his parentage, that his mother and father weren't his birth parents. (This was a great surprise to him, his wisdom score his rather low after all.) Thus, after an animated argument, he left his abode with denial as his companion and fear as his stead. (Excuse the poetry,) it just came out of my mind and onto the ground as surely as an apple falling from a tree. I can't stop it, it's like a boulder rolling down a hill. It's like rocks fall and everyone dies, I'll stop being wierd now. Oh and this was whited out btw.)
Oh, and he would be in the Temple of Ilmater when the RP starts. (For reasons.)

Last edited:

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Cyan_ ok! Some good things to know about the slums of Shaldra~Zin are the drug problem and the hang outs.

Bura bhediya or Lobo mal or the big bad wolf- This is an upper drug.

Neela Bhaaloo or Triste Oso or The sad bear - Is a downer.

These are both a problem in their own way and originate in the slums. You’ll never find someone distributing both, the wolfs and bears are at war.

Popular hang outs in the slums are;
Shadynasty’s Dive- a bar were all the rogues and children hang out. Children are regarded as off limits to all so they commonly serve as mules, middlemen or third party referees on deals.

The Grand Plaza - A poor motel with a large court yard in front that people like to hang out in.

Triffle Truffles- a little place to eat were a few people pulled their backyard Bbq’s together one day and everually started charging for it.

If there is anything else you are looking for let me know and I will add it in or tell you where.

Grimsvald

Elder Member
@Umber any title other than king and queen works well for me. Especially since you are distancing yourself from them. Earl, count and marquis sounds good but thats just because they have a nice ring to them.

Also the temple will be a good place to start off. Did you post a character sheet yet?

Umber

Rays of Sunshine
@Grimsvald Now I have.
Sorry @Cyan_ for ripping your format off, I was struggling to find a way to upload this all to RPN and what you did looked soo pretty...

Calvin Doillus Serpantuna la Merrigold Glasswater e-Eilalöl Meriaroth the Nineteenth, Heir Apparent and Apprentice of Magdalene, the Most Magnifcent Mage-Marchioness of Meriaroth
Class: Wizard

Race: Half-Orc
Exp: 0/300
Level: 1

Hit Points: 9 / 9
Armour Class: 12
Passive Perception: 9
Speed: 30 ft.

Initiative: +2
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Languages: Common, Orc, Elvish

Armour Proficiencies: None
Weapon Proficiencies: daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows

Tool Proficiencies: Dragonchess Set

STR: 10
DEX: 14

CON: 16
INT: 15

WIS: 9

CHA: 12

Acrobatics (+2)
Animal Handling (-1)
Arcana (+4)
Athletics (0)
Deception (+1)
History (+4)
Insight (-1)
Intimidation (+3)
Investigation (+2)
Medicine (-1)
Nature (+2)
Perception (-1)
Performance (+1)
Persuasion (+3)
Religion (+4)
Sleight of Hand (+2)
Stealth (+2)
Survival (-1)

Equipment:
A scroll of pedigree
Arcane focus (an obsidian quarterstaff adorned with gleaming blue gems and rimed with constantly swirling patterns of silver)
Signet ring
Book
Ink Pen
Bag of Sand
Parchment (x10)
Backpack
Fine Clothes (rather short violet robes that have slightly burnt edges, laced with emerald green patterns depicting arcane runes)
Spellbook (a thick tome bound in rich red leather and trimmed with gold. It bears the convoluted insignia of Calvin's family)
Ink

A small locked box that quietly hums a lovely melody at night but you always forget it in the morning

GP: 125

Features, Traits, and Feats
Arcane Recovery. When you finish a short rest, regain spell slots totalling no more than 1, and each must be 1st level. (use once/day).

Position of Privilege. Thanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk and merchants make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

Relentless Endurance. Drop to 1 hp instead of being reduced to 0.

Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon's damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
Darkvision. Thanks to your orc blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim Conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in Darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in Darkness, only shades of gray.

Menacing. You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill.

The Spellbook

The Book is bound in red leather. In gold, it bears the circular and convoluted insignia of Meriaroth. On the rim of the circle shaped crest there are seven M's each corresponding to a school of magic (all of the main ones, sans necromancy), at the bottom of the rim there is a gap that one of Ms could fit in.

Above the indescribable crest is the line: Meriaroth aias Stirpis el Meriaroth aias Scriptum
Below it there is this: Meriaroth ovon Auctorita, Manadh ovon Eriol.

Inside the spell book, you'll find neat if somewhat large arcane diagrams drawn in red ink on top of beige pages.

Spells and Spellcasting

Spell Save DC: 12
Spell Attack Modifier: +4

Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp, Minor Illusion
Spells in Spellbook:
1st Level:
Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Unseen Servant, Sleep, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Sheild.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)