• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete | Modern Supers with Dice!

Snek

Boop the snoot, you get the shoot
In an alternate reality of 2017 Earth, the world has been ravaged by the erratic appearance of Rifts, small rips in the fabric of reality that, more often than not, have destructive effects on the surrounding area. The source of this destructive phenomenon is unknown, only that in 2012, the first Rift appeared over the Atlantic Ocean, a massive portal that ushered in the first wave of Rifts across the globe. Global politics and trade are slowly dying as each country fends for itself against this new supernatural threat.

However, another side effect of the Rifts has been observed. In a tiny fraction of the world's population (an estimated 5,000 individuals), the warping of reality results in the formation of incredible new abilities, fantastic powers to combat the otherwordly creatures threatening the globe. Aside from the special containment units and task forces now employed by most countries, these newly-enhanced people are the main line of defense against the Rifts. And it is a small group of these superhumans that our story shall follow.

~~~

The suited man typed furiously at the desk, the light of the monitor illuminating his strained expression in the room's darkness as his fingers drummed rhythmically across the keyboard. He had to make sure that the event was set, or else he'd have to wait months and try again when their eyes were turned away once more. The world couldn't wait any longer for these new Chosen, the world had already suffered enough. The task forces were a weak solution, and only a temporary one at that, and legislation on superhumans wasn't going anywhere fast, not with everyone blaming them for the Rifts. No, there was certainly no more time. Whether the world was ready for them or not, the Chosen were the only advantage the world had. Finally, humans would have the upper hand. He just had to finish the event post and link it across every social media site possible.

The man wiped sweat off his brow, making sure the links worked, and then began the distribution. Every media platform, every blog, every news station in Chicago would suddenly and inexplicably release a mysterious post, asking people to come to Grant Park on Friday at high noon. Those worthy, the ad said, would be Chosen and become superhuman. As proof, attached at the bottom of the post was a GIF of just the man's hand with the dark room in the background, a psychedelic orb of energy swirling above his palm. There was no name attached.

The man rose from his chair. The deed was done. His thumb pressed on a remote in his hand, activating the thermal device in the computer and melting the internal hardware to slag. The police would track the hack to this room soon, and he couldn't have them snooping into the rest of his secrets. As the man closed the door and left the building, he looked up to the night sky. His hand rose to the sky, multicolored energy pooling in his raised palm before splitting into several thin rivers of plasma through the air. Each stream flowed in a different direction, extending a few feet away from him before fading into transparency and eventually complete invisibility. After a few minutes of standing there, looking around to make sure no one was watching the process, the remainder of the energy pooled in his hand flowed away on the ley-lines he had constructed until his palm was empty.

"Find my Chosen...guide them to me tomorrow...guide them to their destiny..." muttered the well-dressed man, his knees wobbling before finally collapsing on the sidewalk. He let out a long breath before his eyes fell closed. Out in the city night, the myriad of invisible leylines stretched wide across the streets, weaving around walls and through buildings until they found their targets. When the leylines found their targets, they latched themselves onto their hosts' essence and whispered a single phrase in their minds.

"Chosen..."

~~~

Character sheets like this, copy and paste, then fill out. Make sure to delete the instructions in parentheses before submitting. You don't start with powers yet, there's a small prologue before you get your (randomly-generated) powers. What will you get? The suspense is killing me! Don't worry if you don't like the powers you get, there will be opportunities to re-roll the metaphorical dice throughout the RP. Be creative and be unique with your character. Oh, and thanks for your interest ;)

~~

(Insert appearance picture at the top)

Name: (This is alternate Earth, but still Earth. Realistic names please.)

Age/Gender: (Like ASL, but without the L. We're all in Chicago to start. You can't possibly screw this up by accident.)

(The following is my homebrew version of a statistics system. You'll pick three stats as proficient by marking with a (+), meaning your character is talented in that area, and three of them as deficient by marking with a (-), indicating your character's weakness in that area. No numbers necessary. The rest of them should be blank, which means capability of average person. I filled in the stats below as an example, as well as little brief descriptions of what each stat is and when you'll have to roll for it. Or rather, when I'll roll my dice for you.)

Strength - (-) - (Used for feats requiring physical force or dominance. Good for combat or manipulating one's environment.)

Dexterity - (Used for controlling one's body in precise ways, like aiming or performing acrobatics. Good for precision in combat, and mobility both in and out of combat.)

Willpower - (Used for resisting physical restraints like pain, fatigue, etc.)

Prudence - (+) - (Basically mental defense. Helps you anticipate threats, and makes you harder to trick.)

Reason - (-) - (Helps you learn and deduce new facts from existing ones. Good stat for puzzle-solving and decision making.)

Empathy - (-) - (Helps you understand feelings of others. Good for reading body language and interacting with people.)

Creativity - (+) - (Helps with personal intuition and artistic endeavors. Good for using Chosen powers effectively, among other miscellaneous things like brainstorming or bluffing.)

Subtlety - (+) - (Helps avoid drawing attention. Good for things like sneaking, blending into crowds, or otherwise being a sneaky bastard >;P)

Bio: (Include basic backstory and personality, separated into two bodies of text to make my life easier. Please, please please make this brief, I don't want to read any more than a paragraph for background. Just basic context as to who they are and why they're in Chicago, and personality should be even less than a paragraph. A few adjectives would be sufficient (for instance, Paranoid, Skittish, Intuitive, Defensive). Your character can have parts of their backstory be secret for the purpose of character interaction, but you have to give me a motivation. If this part says something like "to be revealed", you WILL be denied.)

Extra: (This is where you can put other little quirks, hobbies, or any other extra information about your character. Things that aren't related to statistics but might be relevant somewhere along the line, like their biggest fear or some little tick they have or other "uniquenesses".)

((EDIT: If I like your application, it means you're accepted. Congratulations!))

Last edited by a moderator:

tumblr_inline_nheve9Zntx1t6da4c.gif

Name: Arlen Maren Hearthe

Age/Gender: 17/Cis-Male

Strength - (+) - 

Dexterity -

Willpower - (+) - 

Prudence -

Reason - (-) - 

Empathy - (-) -

Creativity - (+) -

Subtlety - (-) -

Bio: Arlen lives in Chicago because of his mothers job at Northern Trust, She was a bank manager and money was never really a problem. Though his mother was very strong rooted in the belief of saving and planning for retirement so they lived just below their means. His mom worked at 120 E Oak St, Chicago. He grew up just down the street at 40 E Oak St, Chicago. He currently attends high school at Lincoln park High School. He plans on going to Roosevelt university for a degree in Business Administration. He is currently single.

Arlen would be described as laid back. His idea of a good time would be him alone, either messing around on a computer or lifting weights. He doesn't like the interference of other people and his life. That isn't to say he doesn't like other people. He just hates when they get in his way. He's Anti-Government and very Right-winged in his views. He's not very trusting but a lot of people seem to confide in him. He thinks his sense of humor is well colored and others do too, he'll often just say what he wants to say consequences be damned.

Extra: Arlen was a chubby kid for most of his life until recently in high school he came out of his shell and tried lifting with some friends. Running and cardio work outs were embarrassing because he was so out of shape, although he was naturally strong so lifting came with ease. He learned from and for the last three years has been pushing himself in the school wrestling and football programs at Lincoln.

Name: Johnathan Knights

Age/Gender: 18/Male

Strength: - (-) -

Dexterity: - (-) -

Willpower: - (+) -

Prudence: -

Reason: - (+) -

Empathy: - (-) -

Creativity: - (+) - 

Subtlety: - 

Bio: Johnathan grew up like every standard family. A mother, father, the odd sibling or two. Nothing too special. However, his ability to understand algebraic mathematical problems and solve them was completely underestimated by everyone, including his parents who saw him as a withdrawn child. Through out his teenage years, he still was withdrawn, thus it was hard for him to understand emotional reactions by people. By his late teens, his grades were surprisingly average even though his knowledge on many different subjects such as Artificial Intelligence, Quantum Mechanics etc was quite extraordinary.

Extra: Johnathan is massive book worm and has a array of books which are mainly fiction. He also is a huge gamer and regularly games everyday which is why he doesn't go out often.

s-180.jpg

htCwkj1.png

Name: Aria Pritchard
Age/Gender: 15 ½, Female

Strength - (-)
Dexterity - (+)
Willpower - (-)
Prudence - (-) 
Reason - (+)
Empathy - (+)
Creativity - 
Subtlety -

Bio:

Aria was born in sunny San Diego, California, where she grew up in a beautiful house by the beach. In the middle of 8th grade, however, her family moved to the Windy City on behalf of her mother's job as a bio-technician. She attends Lake View High School, and lives nearby.

Aria was never really the most outgoing of people, and moving in the middle of the school year didn't really help her Timidness. Nonetheless, she is a well-mannered, Charming highschool Freshman with an Idealistic attitude and a penchant for being a bit Naive.

Extra:

Aria plays First Chair flute in her school's band, and adores small, fuzzy creatures. She also enjoys studying weird phenomenon and antique technologies.

pinn_by_raichiyo33-da4iy1d.jpg

Name: Stephanie Iliev

Age/Gender: Female, 19

Strength (-)

Dexterity (+)

Willpower

Prudence (+)

Reason (-)

Empathy (+)

Creativity

Subtlety (-)

Bio: A third generation immigrant Stephanie grew up in a traditional Hungarian Confectionery established by her grandparents after they moved here, and taken over by her parents when her grandmother semi-retired a few years ago. Despite being steeped in her grandmother's culture she identifies more strongly with her american roots, and is currently studying Journalism at Northwestern University. She hopes to obtain a job that will allow her to travel around the world and to help draw attention and support to people in need.

Stephanie is Outgoing, Charismatic, and Enthusiastic. She cares deeply about social issues, and is a bit of a bleeding heart, and woefully optimistic to boot. Stubborn when she wants to be she is not out to make a nuisance of herself, but sometimes she just can't help how passionate she gets about whatever issue has come to her attention.

Extra: Stephanie is a keen contributor to her school's newspaper, The Daily Northwestern and it is that which brings her to Grant Park on Saturday... or at least that's what she tells herself. She is also a keen swimmer both for exercise, and enjoyment, and an avid user of twitter. She has an unreasoning fear of dogs (particularly chihuahuas or any other 'handbag' dogs), and growing up above a confectionery has quite the sweet tooth, which she does her best to keep in check.

7491539_l.jpg

Name: Halley Morgan Ryan

Age/Gender: 24/Female

Strength - (-)

Dexterity -

Willpower - (+)

Prudence - (+)

Reason - (-)

Empathy -

Creativity - (+)

Subtlety - (-)

Bio: Too many kids grow up like Halley. She was conceived as an unwanted pregnancy. Her parents refused to abort her, but she was put up for adoption as early as was possible. She then spend most of her childhood bouncing between foster homes. Her behavior expectantly began to reflect her chaotic environment. She became rebellious, stubborn, and mischievous. Finding out just how much she could mess with her foster family of the month before they would kick her out was a game for her. Not even in high-school yet, she found her self experimenting with alcohol and mild drugs, ultimately developing an addiction for cigarettes.

That was until she met the Ryans. They were an old couple, already drawing retirement, but they had never had any children of their own. They fostered kids often, but none of them ever stuck around long always citing that the Ryans were old and "quirky" to put it nicely. Mr. Ryan was strict Vet, though principled, neurotic about everything, and had an obsessive love of trains. Mrs. Ryan was a rusty social butterfly with the onset of dementia and a classical pianist. It was a rough start for their relationship, but about the time other kids would have asked for a transfer, Halley was determined she would break the Ryans like all the other families she had before. But it never happened. Nothing she did made them give up. Net even one of her pranks that nearly killed Mr. Ryan.

There wasn't a single defining moment when things changed between her and the Ryans, but the more time she spent with them the more she liked them. They kicked her into shape getting Halley to just barely graduate high-school and get a job. Halley stopped hanging out with the bad crowds and started trying to do something with her life, though she was never able to kick her smoking addiction. The Ryans eventually adopted Halley and life was happy, relatively.

Then the rifts came. While Halley was home for the holidays one of the very first rifts opened practically right under their noses. Malicious energies slowly mutated the house around them into unworldly flesh and bone. Tendrilled hands sprouted from the walls grasping at the family. Halley made it out, not unscathed, but only to hear the deathly screams behind her of her adoptive parents. For a couple years Halley tried moving on with her life. She wasn't the only one who lost people to these atrocities, but depression set in deep. Guilt plagued her for surviving, and her callus scars across her back and left calf were a constant reminder. So, when the opportunity arose she attempted to right her mistake the way it should have happened. When another rift opened nearby she drove strait to it hoping for the worse, but she passed out before she could reach the eye of the rift. When she awoke she was disappointed. She had not succeeded, but instead she came to find out that she had instead reaped a reward. Like others she had begun hearing about, she discovered she had been changed and now had a legit comic book hero superpower. Since that discovery she's been unsure of what destiny is trying to tell her. Is she supposed to die like her parents, or is she supposed to be doing something? Not knowing the answer, she's taken it upon herself to travel the country, tracking these rifts for a few years now, and has been trying to come up with a way to predict where they will happen next all while learning what her power is capable of and what she's supposed to do with it. Maybe she'll find the answers she's looking for at the next rift, and she's got a hunch that New York is next on the list.

Extra: Halley has grown to be quite the music lover since her time with the Ryans and Mrs. Ryan even taught Halley how to play the piano some. Halley is prone to anxiety attacks but smoking and/or classical music always seem to calm her.

f94f28cfe0884e2f77f9146e5fdea61a.jpg

Name: Marcello Mussolini~~~

Age/Gender: 22,F~~~`

Strength - (-) - ~~~

Dexterity - (+)-~~~

Willpower - ()~~~

Prudence - (+) ~~~

Reason - (-) - ~~~

Empathy - (-) - ~~~

Creativity - () - ~~~

Subtlety - (+) - ~~~

Bio: Marcello is recent graduate at UC with Law, plans to join the FBI. with a bachelors in Forensics. Marcello prefers to be called Cello, Cell or M, she refuses to acknowledge the name 'Marcy'. Marcello was born and raised in the U.S even though her family was not. Her entire life she struggled in the working poor class, until finally she got accepted to UC.

-skeptical

-cautious

-sarcastic

-blunt

-Ambitious 

Extra: Marcello has a strong fear of commitment and trust.

@Left Out Small hitch, just pick 3 of those stats for a (+) and 3 for a (-). You should have two stats left over that are average (not + nor -). Do that and you're good.

@Left Out@Nico@CobaltThunder@Monky@ithinkcat@Misuteri Kenshi@TwistedTruth

Okay. An old friend of mine MIGHT be joining the group also, but otherwise, I think the party is at a good size, if not a little bigger than I was envisioning. So now comes the discussion about how the logistics of posting is going to work. I know one of the party members can't do a scheduled weekly thing, so we're going to give it a go with posting at our convenience. I'll be sure to stay on top of things so you guys aren't waiting forever to figure out whether you succeeded a skill check or not.

Speaking of which, I have all of the dice necessary so you guys don't have to worry about that. The statistics system I'm using for this RP is very basic and simplistic, which is designed as such because there are a few people here that are new to dice roleplaying. Most dice rolls will be two d10s, which together form a number between 1-100. This helps me because I can easily customize the difficulty of a thing by setting a percent chance to succeed. There are some other dice involved for other things, like the ever-present probability of Rifts appearing, or other specific circumstances, but again, I do all the rolling, so you don't have to stress over number-crunching and statistics, and I always share the result of the rolls.

All you really need to know is that if you have a (+), you are better at that thing and have higher chance to succeed. Opposite is true for (-). Much simpler than keeping track of a number for every stat for every person.

This is my dice system. Sorry if it's complex, don't stress over it too hard. I do all the rolling anyways.

~

[d100] - used for checking skilled action, (+) gives +10%, (-) gives -15%, successful roll exceeds the difficulty number.

[d6] - used by me to determine what kind of atrocity(ies) jump out of a Rift. Determines creature origins (Lawful, Chaotic, Neutral, plus my handy-dandy archetype list and random encounter generator) this die is for me

[d4] - used for checking skill against someone else's skill, the instigator/aggressor rolls against defender, roll to beat is determined by who has advantage (who has (+) or (-)).

Instigator has advantage - exceed a 1

No advantage - exceed a 2

Defender has advantage - exceed a 3

[d8] - used for Rifts opening, either Happy Rift (roll 8, everyone gets option to trade current power for random new one) or Angry Rift (roll 1, enemies pop out).

this die is also for me

~

Now comes the fun part. YALL READY FOR...*drum roll*

R A N D O M P O W E R S ~~~~~~~~?

Okay, here we go! Keep in mind that everyone except ithinkcat doesn't get their power until they meet the mysterious figure in the park. Powers start at basic functionality, something I'm going to refer to as tier 1. The higher the tier, the more powerful the effect and more difficult to pull off. The more time you spend using a power, the better you get, and re-rolling your power resets your proficiency with that power.

You can always make an attempt to perform a move at a higher tier than you are capable of, but that requires a Creativity check. The higher the tier, the higher likelihood of a power fizzle.

T1 - most base-level operation of powers. Little effort required.

T2 - moderate difficulty, using base power operation in a new way. Moderate concentration required

T3 - advanced power function, brought forth by extensive understanding of one's powers. Intense focus required, along with the discipline to keep that much power under control.

T4 - masterful operation of abilities, flawless execution. Highest tier that can be reached through determination alone. Requires absolute and unwavering conviction.

T5 - brief state of godhood over your power. Inaccessible by conscious choice; spark of true human potential only ignites in extremely rare occasions or moments of extreme trauma.

NOW FOR THE POWERS *clicks 'random page' on Superpowers Wiki six times*

oh my god these are good

@TwistedTruth - Feather Manipulation. Not as dumb as it sounds. T1 is simple piercing projectiles, 5 max at a time. Line of sight only.

@Misuteri Kenshi - Power Absorption. T1 is through physical touch only, basic borrowing.

@CobaltThunder - Download. Think of it as free access and storage of information, anywhere. T1 is storage and basic analysis. Screens also usable as impromptu (albeit weak) shields.

@Monky - Invisibility. T1 is basic camouflage, movement creates visible shimmer and you can still be heard/smelled/touched. LOL I just realized you have (-) in Subtlety. #feelsbadman

@ithinkcat - Aaaaaand the leader gets...Pain Inducement. Seems fitting. T1 is through touch only.

@Left Out - Night Empowerment. As long as the sun is not in the sky, T1 gives you (+) in Strength and Willpower, and you have pitch-black night vision.

Next post will discuss combat. Simple stuff. See you guys later!

Huh, a journalism student with the power of invisibility, this couldn't possibly end badly :P Though yeah, - in subtlety...

Well you do have Creativity + so probably not? I could see that happening if you'd gone for Creativity -. Up to VK I suppose

I like the spread of abilities we all have. Some even feel handpicked. Honestly, I think the Power Absorption is the weakest one here. He can't copy powers, only steal them, which means if he takes one of our powers we are left without one. One step forward, one step back. Heck, two steps back if you factor in the proficiency and experience of the original power wielder.

Lol, I hope you start this RP by stealing the strange man's power from him.

Oh, and VK, I got a question. Is Prudence what one would use to detect ambushes or represent our general perception ability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back