• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete | Modern Supers with Dice!

T1 for Power Absorption is borrowing, not stealing. He doesn't necessarily cause someone to lose their power temporarily, he just borrows a portion of their power, weakening them in the process. This also allows him to potentially mix powers together by borrowing from more than one person at a time, but that'd be T2.

The mysterious figure is not to be f*cked with, lol. If you're nice though, Misuteri, he might be willing to let you borrow some of his power for awhile.

And yes, Prudence represents the overall perception ability. It measures how "ready" you are, essentially. You roll Prudence when trying to detect ambushes, lies, hidden threats, disguises, important details, etc.

Combat

Before an encounter, the party member closest to the enemies makes a d4 Prudence check against the Subtlety of the incoming enemies. Success means players take first turn, failure means enemies do.

Players choose among themselves which order to take their turns. If you want, we can open a PM where you guys can discuss combat/strategy.

On a single player's turn, they can perform two actions. A standard action would be something like an attack, a specific maneuver, coming to an ally's aid, moving across the battlefield, channeling power, etc. Players are allowed to "prepare" actions to automatically happen upon a specific trigger. For instance, if you're around a corner and enemies are following you, you can prepare an attack to happen the instant you see them follow you around the corner.

Some actions are minor enough that they don't take up the use of an action, and can be performed at the same time as a standard action. These "free actions" include, but are not limited to: speaking/yelling/communicating, dropping an item you're holding, dropping yourself to the floor ("dropping prone"), standing still, etc.

Whenever an attack is made, upon a player or enemy, a d4 check is made to see if the attack hit. The stats rolled depend upon the kind of attack made. Here's a handy reference:

Hit Checks

Melee - Strength vs. Strength

Projectile - Dexterity vs. Dexterity

Power-Based Beam/Arc - Dexterity vs. Prudence

Sneak Attack - Subtlety vs. Prudence

Mental/Psychic Attack - Creativity vs. Willpower

Illusion - Creativity vs. Reason

Mind Control/Charm - Empathy vs. Willpower

Damage is measured by Major Wounds and Minor Wounds. Players are incapacitated (unconscious, unable to take action) after taking 5 Major Wounds. 5 Minor Wounds add up to form a Major Wound. Enemies will vary in how many Major Wounds they must take before being defeated; the stronger the enemy, the more health they have.

Every attack that lands adds a Minor Wound. Critical hits deal an entire Major Wound. Certain enemies have specific weaknesses, they take 2 Minor Wounds from hits that they are weak to.

I think that's it. Everyone good? Any questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. wishing I hadn't put all my stats into being a brute when I need dexterity. but hopefully my creativity wil lallow me a way around a projectile based ability.

@TwistedTruth Well that was just luck of the draw, can't anticipate what kind of power you're going to get. Remember you can always reroll if you find/invoke a Happy Rift.

I thank the lord every day i didn't slam a morning minus in dexterety. through all dmd campaigns Dexterety has never let me down. Half-Drow rogues!!

Well with invisibility Stephanie is probably not going to be much for combat, but she may be able to improvise something to hamper opponents? That or pick up a slingshot maybe :P Hopefully should be more useful in investigative/social stuff at least.

Anyway, here I am, ready to go.

@Nenma Takashi I'll be sure to contact you later if we find a need for more members (and if you're still interested by then), but for now we've got a well-sized group and I don't believe I can confidently DM more than six people, especially on a forum. Apologies :/

Okay people, first RP post coming soon! Remember, you guys don't start immediately with your powers (with the exception of ithinkcat), at least until the Prologue is over. The opening scene is everyone heading to the park at noon on a Saturday, the meeting place where the mysterious figure said to meet. There will be tons of people there, mostly just out of curiosity. Law enforcement will also be there, since they've been trying to nab this guy for awhile. He hacked into several networks and claimed to have the power to bestow powers, so the public is having mixed feelings. Some people are skeptical, some people are curious, and very few are actually interested in being Chosen.

The mysterious guy is dressed in a rugged black jacket, and green shirt with a cadet-style cap covering his eyes. Your characters have already been "touched", and have an innate sense of where the guy is. You're inexplicably drawn to him as a result of being "touched". That should cover all of the information you need. It's a sunny day, year 2020. Technology matches ours. Let me know if there's anything else I need to clarify.

Otherwise, stand by and get ready to ROLL

Friday, March 10th

Grant Park, Chicago

11:51 a.m.

The park was full of people, and although there were usually a fair amount of people strolling, jogging, and walking pets at this time of day, it never looked like this. Law enforcement officers, groups of gossiping teens, some adults, and a couple people actually trying to enjoy the park.

The stranger was seated at the fountain, looking around at the scenery and the natural splendor of the day. His Chosen would arrive soon, and then all of this would turn upside down. None of these poor bystanders had any idea what was about to happen here, but once it happened, there was no going back. And although it seemed extreme, he saw no other way. A little dark would be necessary before there could be any light. A couple law enforcement officers walked by, talking on remote controls, and one of them shot him a brief glance. He did his best to appear inconspicuous.

Subtlety (+) beat 15, roll [50], success

The officers continued on their way, heading towards a medium-sized circle of laughing, noisy teenagers. The stranger stared into the water of the fountain, fixated on the glittering coins at the bottom until he felt a surge of energy. The Chosen had drawn near.

Swiveling around, his eyes scanned the masses, knowing that he would know his Chosen when he saw them, and they would know him. It was almost time.

"Hey, what time is it?"          

"It's 11:53," Aria Pritchard responded to her friend, glancing down at her watch.

"Wasn't that event, y'know, the one with the weird dude that they talked about on the news supposed to happen today??"

"I think it was..." Aria shrugged, nonchalantly taking a bite of her soft pretzel she had bought from the street vendor not five minutes ago. Claire, one of her small group of friends from school, had suggested that they wander around the city today. Maybe she'd had an ulterior motive---after all, Claire was the adventurous one of the duo.

"We should go check it out! C'mon!" Claire urged, taking hold of Aria's hand and dragging her along towards the square. She hadn't forgotten about the story that had been all over the news for a week, no. For some reason, it was all she could think about since she had first heard about it. Heck, as Claire led them closer, it was Aria who was soon leading the way, a strange feeling of urgency compelling her to move quicker with each step they took towards the central fountain.

The crowds thickened as they neared, but it was no mind to the two girls as they slipped in between the gaps. The closer they got, Aria also noticed that the number of cops increased exponentially.

"Uh, maybe we shouldn't get any closer..." Claire said, the unease plain in her voice now.

"Fine, if you don't want to get any closer, that's fine. I'm going to keep going," Aria said, Claire's look of surprise hanging in her vision as she moved into the main square.

"What am I doing?" Aria reflected, surprised herself by the sudden boldness of her actions. It was too late to turn back now.

tumblr_inline_nhevhim5ay1t6da4c.gif

Arlen Maren Hearthe

Location: Grant Park, Chicago. || Scenario: Its a Sunny day || With: @The Villain King @CobaltThunder  || Mentions: Skipping school

It was about a six minute jog at a fast sprint for Arlen to make it to his house and to the park. That jog would have taken him twice as much just last year but he had worked on his cardio like a monster over the summer and he was the better for it. Arlen pulled his ear buds out of his ears feeling the soft flesh of his inner ear relax. It was odd how ear buds didn't hurt until you took them out after awhile. He wrapped the ear buds around his phone and tucked it into his pocket stretching on a bench as he looked around the park. There were people and it didn't surprise him at all to see people grouping up already making small packs. The human mind was conditioned to have pack-like mentalities. Arlen didn't know if he was hardwired different or he was just conditioned to be alone but the thought of other people made his hands shake.

Arlen started picking out cops from the crowd, even spotting a few younger under cover officers. 'guess that hacker got a lot of traction' Arlen thought to himself. He had hacked even the biggest news sights for the post and Arlen was impressed. He had been counting his lucky stars recently and they all lined up to this moment. Arlen didn't believe in Fate or coincidence; however, There was a science behind chance and human nature. Whoever this guy was he would be at Grant park. Something in Arlen knew it was going to happen. There were doubters and people who called the infamous hacker a fraud. But Arlen's gut never lied.

He finished stretching and caught the eye of an undercover officer. He couldn't confirm the guy was a cop but once again. the gut never lies. The blonde haired brown eyes stranger approached Arlen obvious probing for information with his question.

"Shouldn't you be in school at this time on a Friday?" The stranger asked and Arlen retorted quickly. "Special program for athletes, we need the fresh air." [Roll Subtlety (-) ] 

(Lying/Bluffing is actually a Creativity roll :P)

@TwistedTruth Creativity (+) beat 20%, roll [100], Flawless Success (NATURAL 100 LOL)

The fellow's eyes narrowed, but after a moment, he grumbled something about privilege and stalked off into the crowd. It seemed Arlen was off the hook, and not only that, but now had a solid alibi.

Johnathan entered the park a good 10 minutes early than the specific time, his eyes glued to the book he was reading. He was nearing the end of the book which he estimated wouldn't take too long. A good 5 minutes before the end. He looked up every so often, making sure not to bump into anyone as he made his way to the center of the park. The man in question apparently had caused some serious problems to every network in the world which meant that he must be quite skilled at what he does. Skilled would be an understatement... He thought to himself as he strolled over closing the book and looking at the gathering crowd of people. Police officers were to be seen everywhere which was an issue for the man in question. He saw a free seat on a park bench with someone else occupying it. Walking over and sitting down he waited for a while, then after getting bored once again, proceeded to read through the book.

(should have posted yesterday, but wasn't feeling it for some reason. apologies.)

"Alright, I'm going to look around, make sure you get some good pictures, okay Hank?"

Stephanie shakes her head as she looks around at the turnout in the parkout, both the civilian presence, and the police. They were definitely taking this seriously... but then who wouldn't after the stunt whoever was behind this had pulled. Either way she was glad she'd decided to come and report on this, she was sure bigger outlets than the school newspaper would be interested in it too, but... there was just something, some sort of instinct that told her she had to be here today. She just hoped things didn't get too out of hand when noon rolled around.

Notebook and pen tucked into one pocket, and iphone ready to take pictures of her own, or dictate notes as the situation demanded, she headed into the crowd, making her way towards the fountain.

Header.jpg

Halley M. Ryan

Halley stood at the corner of a intersection adjacent to the park, listening to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata while waiting with other pedestrians for the crosswalk sign on the opposite side to signal it was safe to walk across. Red embers flared up from the cigarette she held to her lips using her quivering index and middle fingers. She inhaled, clutching the carbon vapor inside for a brief moment, and then released. With every puff her worries and anxiety subdued, like tip of her cigarette was a fire fueled by fears and doubt consuming them from within her. But her anxiety was great, and ever growing. Today was worse than usual.

She had been in town on a hunch that the next portal would open somewhere nearby. Normally she was wrong about her hunches. It was frustrating since she saw no other way to find the answers she was looking for, but it was hard to complain that the worst wasn't happening to the towns and cities she visited. This time was different though. When she saw the mysterious hacker's message she gained a glimmer of hope. Maybe this man could help her. Maybe he knew the answers she sought. But as the time for his appearance got closer, doubt took over. What if she wasn't ready for them? What if this was a con, or a trap? Still, something compelled her to go. So, having not slept any the night before and spent half her remaining money on booze and cigarettes, here she was. And she was terrified with what she saw.

So many people in one place. What was that guy thinking attracting so many people into a small place? Her hands trembled, and her mind raced with thoughts of the worst. If she was right this time, everyone here...How could he? Wait, did he intend for this to happen? What if he's responsible for portals opening up? It's as good of a theory as anyone else's on the origin of the portals. If that were so, she had to find him and stop him before...before something like that happened again.

The crosswalk turned green and pedestrians began crossing. Halley followed and entered the park. She paced slowly through the crowd, trying to keep her nerves from exploding, and searched for anyone suspicious. [ROLL PRUDENCE (+)]

WITH: No one  ||  WHERE: Grant Park, Chicago  ||  OOC: Sorry this took a bit to get out. Sundays are my only day off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back