Advice/Help Could use some RP pointers...

V a l k y r i e

...Just another confusing mess...
Hey guys! I am more or less new to RPing and could really use some pointers for being a good RP partner/improving.

What do people dislike most if they play with a partner or what don't you want to run into?
What do you absolutely want to have in a roleplay?
What info to add into a partner search to make it informative enough?
Any other advice or tips you can give me?

I would really appreciate your help!

I think that in terms of partner search, the advice I can give you is: don’t be afraid to write exactly what you want.
It is what you’re looking for after all.

What I’ve also found with that is that you have to be really specific, tell them what kind of writer you are, age requirement if there is any, what genres you’re looking for, how many paragraphs you want back, etc.

In terms of role playing, well, nobody’s perfect, but, avoid having 100% perfect characaters. Good grammar is a must for most people, and make sure you always talk in OOC to ensure your partner is okay with your ideas/planning.

Be open to editing paragraphs/check if your partner is enjoying themselves and if there’s anything they’d like to see more of/add. :)

I think that in terms of partner search, the advice I can give you is: don’t be afraid to write exactly what you want.
It is what you’re looking for after all.

What I’ve also found with that is that you have to be really specific, tell them what kind of writer you are, age requirement if there is any, what genres you’re looking for, how many paragraphs you want back, etc.

In terms of role playing, well, nobody’s perfect, but, avoid having 100% perfect characaters. Good grammar is a must for most people, and make sure you always talk in OOC to ensure your partner is okay with your ideas/planning.

Be open to editing paragraphs/check if your partner is enjoying themselves and if there’s anything they’d like to see more of/add. :)
Thanks for the advice! I am a very patient and open person where writing is concerned so what you wrote shouldn't be a problem. I am sure your advice will help me, so really, thank you!

But with that in mind, don't be shy to take over NPCs. I prefer if someone can do the heavy lifting with all the outside stuff that's happening.

And it makes me cringe when I see roleplay request threads with bad grammar. There's really no excuse for it with Microsoft Word and the like. Even browsers sometimes correct spelling and grammar.

There is no way I'd respond to anything like that.

What do people dislike most if they play with a partner or what don't you want to run into?
Although I cannot speak on behalf of others, there are a few things personally that I am deterred by and wish not to run into when it comes to role playing with partners. When I roleplay with others, especially partners, I usually prefer to go through a planning stage together with my partner to develop the world and setting in which the roleplay is going to take place. Things like establishing a magic system or going over the economic situation of the city our characters will be in is a process I enjoy. However, during this planning stage, I tend to remain at a gradual pace, which may offset others who wish to jump right into the roleplay. This may cause others to rush through the planning stage, while personally I prefer to take my time and flesh out all of the aspects of the roleplay I can. Something else I avoid and don't want to run into is, as arrogant as it may sound, bad grammar. I am definitely not perfect, and as a matter of fact I believe I am nowhere even near competent to other writers I've seen. It's just that, well, bad grammar to me is not a single issue but, rather, reflective of the type of roleplayer somebody is. I understand that people go though ups and downs, something I've experienced many times myself, but seeing multiple (and worst of all, simple to correct) errors within a post is a little of a put-off for me. Now that I'm reading over it, it sound quite petty and demanding of others, but simply taking time to go over the post gives me the sense that my partner cares as much about the story as much as I.
Character development, a structured plot line, an intricate world... a good story.
What you're looking for, both in a roleplay and in a partner, and a set of rules to further emphasize what you're looking for as well as simultaneously giving others a general idea of the type of roleplayer you are. e.g. Those who prefer to both give and receive more out of each post will often opt for a detailed roleplay.
Don't put too much effort into things such as using complicated vocabulary and overly trying to describe the detail of something (<--- depends on the situation). Express what you believe would contribute to elements of the RP such as your own character, your partner's/group members' characters, the world, etc. Detail is good, yes, but don't waste your time on something like describing your character taking individual coin after individual coin out of their pocket to pay for an ice cream. The most important thing I believe is to enjoy yourself. If you're having fun, regardless of any other factors within the roleplay, you're on the right track. Always.

But with that in mind, don't be shy to take over NPCs. I prefer if someone can do the heavy lifting with all the outside stuff that's happening.

And it makes me cringe when I see roleplay request threads with bad grammar. There's really no excuse for it with Microsoft Word and the like. Even browsers sometimes correct spelling and grammar.

There is no way I'd respond to anything like that.
I have Grammarly installed for spelling so while I do make mistakes sometimes (who doesn't?) it helps a lot to fix them, etc...

Anyway, I say just go for it and make a post. If you have a specific craving, just list what it is and see if anyone is interested.

I prefer to respond to pairing requests rather than a story.
Like I prefer: elfxhuman, Gandalfxhuman, kidnapperxderanged parent etc.

Than:
Muse A is blah blah and Muse B is blah blah. I'm making Muse B into what I want it to be and am expecting you to play it however I want you to. I am very controlling and have this whole idea set out. And I'm playing Muse A because Muse A is sexy.

Actually, I prefer the opposite the rare occasions I look for 1x1. Obviously not "play my way or the highway", but saying my "my plot for the knight/princess pairing involves blah blah blah." I like knowing that the person has some some of plot idea in mind beyond just a romance between these two types of characters.

So I would say don't be afraid to propose at least an initial idea. If you and your partners end up changing things around, great :3

Actually, I prefer the opposite the rare occasions I look for 1x1. Obviously not "play my way or the highway", but saying my "my plot for the knight/princess pairing involves blah blah blah." I like knowing that the person has some some of plot idea in mind beyond just a romance between these two types of characters.

So I would say don't be afraid to propose at least an initial idea. If you and your partners end up changing things around, great :3
Each to their own. <3

I feel too constricted myself when there's a plot I have to follow. I like to free flow it.
So basically its good to add both pairings and a few plot ideas in 'skeleton' form (you know easy to change or add stuff to it )?

I couldn't give any better tips than the others have already put forth.I feel you should be able to post what comes naturally to you, without fear of reproach. Nothing hurts my soul more than being confined or seeing another holding themselves back.

But on the same token, it can be beneficial when there's some semblance of structure beforehand. Myself, i like to go with the flow. It lets all players involved know each other's strengths and weaknesses, and you only improve from there.

I dunno, just my two cents. ?

People in general? They don't want asses, they don't want snobs and they don't want ghosts (who vanish on them). They usually want consistent, dedicated partners that match their style and hopefully interests.

Me personally? Pretty much the same thing except I don't mind snobs too much, and I am a bit more particular than most about my particular style. A style which I will not detail here simply because it is so uncommon.

Fun and roleplaying. Those are the primary things everyone wants. Everything else depends on the person. For instance, casual roleplayers tend to want more flexbility, speed and fluency, whereas I prefer more detail and writing quality, structure, themes, a good friend and dedicated partner among other things. I want to write a good story that let's be immerse, share my ideas and explore my creativity without killing my style or interests.

I made a thread a while ago detaling this exact topic:

Tutorial - 11 Dos and Dont's of Making an Informative 1x1 Search Thread

Read through the discussion forums, keep calm, be a good friend, eat lots of vegetables, pray to Jesus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back