Other Copying/Stealing VS Being Inspired by ideas

I was using the general you. Not you specifically.

And to me it's basically down to how to how exclusive is your idea to the original work? If your just taking basic tropes or loose relationship dynamics than you're making your own original work. If you are taking specific ideas tied directly to the original work than your inspired by/copying.
Alright, thank you very much for your answer and I hope I wasn't too overbearing.

So I didn't really get it, would you or would you not consider they are copying avatar? And if they are not, then why is that.
I would consider that they are both copying Avatar (to the extent of the world, powers, rules, etc), but neither try to mimic or dip into the original plot. And I don't mind if roleplays do this! When it becomes a problem for me, is when two roleplays, when developing different stories based on the Avatar world, have similar stories. Example: two roleplays are both based off the Avatar world. One roleplay has its plot centered around the life of a made up fire nation army (we could probably say that the roleplayers would be taking the positions within said army). If another roleplay tried to con that and call it inspiration (like if they were doing a roleplay based off the life of a made up earth bender based army), id deny it and call it straight up copying/stealing.

I hope this shines some more light on what I meant the first time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back