• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

BittyBobcat

Llama hand
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

• Superhumans make up approximately 0.08% of the population. There are currently 6,736 residing in New York City, and of those six-thousand odd people, only a handful are heroes. The Association for the Research and Control of Enhanced Persons (better known as ARCEP, and often shortened to "ARC" or "The Association") sponsors these heroes by allowing them to play figurehead leader to heroics agencies that work in tandem with local crime-management in cases that involve enhanced individuals. As far as general public opinion is concerned, heroes do most (if not all) the work.

This, of course, is incorrect. What would be the point of having departments full of sidekicks, informants, ARC agents, doctors, lawyers, PR workers, and countless others if that were true? The heroes do fill an integral role, but not the only role when it comes to hero agencies. Behind them are dozens of people who are heroes just as well (even if they don't hold the name) that the agencies would fall apart without. Still, without heroes, the agencies have no excuse to exist.

So, when heroes start going missing around the world, replacements must be found. Backups. Second picks, you might say.

This rp will be following a group of newly-promoted heroes in New York City. The setting is modern, and the rp will start a little less than a week after a large chunk of New York's heroes go missing. This hits them especially hard because they had already lost a few a month prior and are now without any senior heroes. The plot will be strongly character driven and have an episodic style, where every "chapter" introduces a new big bad for them to handle (this can range anywhere, from your stereotypical supervillain to a particularly bad PR fiasco). The overarching plot will be dealing with the difficulties of trying to live up to the expectations that they set/the new responsibilities our characters now have as well as figuring out exactly what happened to the heroes who went missing. I'm expecting some found family themes, some elements from Marvel/DC/MHA, and some of the conflicts that the overarching plot suggests (dealing with poor public rep, balancing hero work and regular life, etc).

Characters will not be limited to new heroes, however they must be related to them in some way. You are free to make doctors, PR agents, lawyers, or anyone else that works in the hero agencies, but if you do then you will have to keep in mind that they probably won't be in the thick of the action most the time. It's ultimately your responsibility to link them to our main focus (although I will help if I can). For the start, I'll be limiting main characters to only two per person, but there will probably be chances to add more later in the rp.

I'm looking for a group of 3 to 6 people and about weekly posting (of course, life happens, so it's totally fine to miss here or there, but there should be an attempt). This rp will not be first come first served (I'll be picking people based on CSs), and -once people are picked- I'll set up a Discord server for the OOC. Everyone will be allowed (and encouraged) to participate in plotting and worldbuilding. This rp will be semi-lit: I'm not expecting perfect grammar and capitalization and such, just no extremely short posts (2-3 paragraphs will probably be the average post length) and understandable writing at least.

This probably goes without saying, but everyone needs to follow RPnation rules. Be civil to one another and please no 18+ content. If someone fails to follow these guidelines, then I will not hesitate to kick them from the rp.

And, just a reminder, we're all roleplaying to make a story and have fun. If you have any questions that haven't been answered by the other tabs, need help with your character, or anything else like that, then feel free to DM me!

(P.S. There are tabs at the start of the post if you missed them. Please check them out if you're interested!)

CS Thread Link: Realistic or Modern - Second Pick CS Thread

The CS thread will be closed on April 3rd (about noon-ish PST)

Last edited:
Interested!

Would an artificial human be a suitable character?
That depends on the way the artificial human was created. If the process is easily replicable, then it's probably best to find a way to make it so that isn't how it is only because that would make the fact that ARC still uses a lot of human superheroes a bit odd (since "why deal with people when we could just make a bunch of robots"). If they're a unique instance that is not replicable, then that's alright.
Also, it's important that the characters are fundamentally people because of the themes that we're likely going to be focusing on in this RP. They can still have mental differences that set them apart from non-superhumans, but they need to have sentience, emotions, etc. It would be difficult for a character that didn't have those things to participate in a chapter about dealing with the guilt of failing to save someone, for example.
And, of course, don't make them overpowered, but that's already mentioned in the rules so I assume that's a given with this

Edit: I realized I accidentally got all "meandering explanation" on this so let me just say it quickly to clarify: Yes, it is okay, but only so long as they can't be easily replicated and have sentience/emotions.

This looks fun!

Although a question I have is, does ARCEP have a dark side? When you say PR disasters and lawyers and all that, it makes me think they're there to cover things up. Innocent people getting hurt, property damage, heroes doing bad thing; and they're there to grease the right hands or spin the story a certain way.

Which could be VERY interesting, but I'm not sure if that's what you're going for.

That depends on the way the artificial human was created. If the process is easily replicable, then it's probably best to find a way to make it so that isn't how it is only because that would make the fact that ARC still uses a lot of human superheroes a bit odd (since "why deal with people when we could just make a bunch of robots"). If they're a unique instance that is not replicable, then that's alright.
Also, it's important that the characters are fundamentally people because of the themes that we're likely going to be focusing on in this RP. They can still have mental differences that set them apart from non-superhumans, but they need to have sentience, emotions, etc. It would be difficult for a character that didn't have those things to participate in a chapter about dealing with the guilt of failing to save someone, for example.
And, of course, don't make them overpowered, but that's already mentioned in the rules so I assume that's a given with this

Edit: I realized I accidentally got all "meandering explanation" on this so let me just say it quickly to clarify: Yes, it is okay, but only so long as they can't be easily replicated and have sentience/emotions.
Of course! I’m thinking he was created by a mostly secret organization, who doesn’t want the world to know about them. And he’s more of a one-off, with any ‘siblings’ showing up being some sort of special event. But that’ll be your decision, ultimately.

I’m thinking his arc’s going to be similar to Rei Ayanami from Evangelion, if you’ve ever seen that. He has emotions, but he’s also not very experienced in demonstrating or managing them, which makes him come off as cold and inhuman. But he’s definitely a person.

This looks fun!

Although a question I have is, does ARCEP have a dark side? When you say PR disasters and lawyers and all that, it makes me think they're there to cover things up. Innocent people getting hurt, property damage, heroes doing bad thing; and they're there to grease the right hands or spin the story a certain way.

Which could be VERY interesting, but I'm not sure if that's what you're going for.
Sorry that it wasn't very clear: That is exactly what I'm going for

I'm currently at work and very on/off, but do you mind if I PM some character ideas I had just to make sure they're okay?

Is it still open?

Reminder to everyone planning to join without CSs up: I am closing this tomorrow (April 3rd) at around noon-ish PST so get your CSs up before then :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back