• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Cleansed Curses Shrine] Falling to Rise Part 3: The Toad, the Witch, and the Dream.

Ko Matatsu
Assassin.(Koha-Ace).full.2351544.png

Draped in the blaskest night, Ko had gone from a laughing stock to a figure of death. A being of destruction that harvested soul from body, traversing the battlefield to reap what it is owed.

He cut a spitting haunting figure of a Shinigami.

A death god.

A kami who cut warriors, drunkards, fools and wisemen alike.

But from it all, from all of the play of illusion and danger given off by the white there was but one thing that the man could say. Drapped in his black robes, the young man roughly pulled down the mask that covered his body and proudly spoke with insignant pride and anger only the firey spirited could possess.

"The fuck is a scone?"

So sayeth the shinigami.

Indicus looked ahead towards the watchtower with grim determination the white and soft blue light from the illusions casting him in a menacing glow as it was contrasted by the fleshy pink and dark red of the blood and gore that covered him.

Indicus marched on uncaring of the choice the others would make or tactics Yukan would undoubtedly come up with for the confrontation. Indicus would have his answers even if he had to drag them out of the witch one by one.

Yukan Koyake
Screen_Shot_2022-09-06_at_4.08.19_PM-1.png
gmimperfecti gmimperfecti Elvario Elvario Orikanyo Orikanyo Shiyonichi Shiyonichi StarPrincessVal StarPrincessVal EMIYAman EMIYAman

Yukan was glad to see that most of the people so far had heeded his words. Riku appeared to be in agreement, and was making a call which was certainly beneficial. Yumeko and Gyoubu were using the tailsmen which would hopefully have the desired effect against whatever kind of corruption this area had been heavily saturated with. It was practically oppressive to Yukan. With the scouts watching from over there ready to strike from the trees, Yukan felt more comfortable moving in if need be. Even if extreme caution needed to be taken.

What Yukan hadn't really been expecting was the whimsy from the witch as she suddenly spoke up as if she was merely inviting them over for some social hour. This only raised many more questions than Yukan had originally as to why she was acting this way. Was she just toying with them? Was there some greater evil that was using her as some vessel? Who really knew at this point, of course Yukan was immediately alarmed when it shifted as it looked like she grew larger and all these large magical attacks were coming there way, out of instinct Yukan tried to get out of the way of the one that looked like it was closest to him, until he realized that they weren't actually striking, why would this witch use this sort of illusion magic instead of attacking them directly? Surely she had some sort of magical offensive power she could unleash and harm all of them like he presumed she had done to those innocent people.

To Yukan something wasn't feeling quite right to him, like there was a piece of the puzzle missing when things had calmed down; they had felt so fast he hadn't even had a moment to bark out orders for people to respond to the illusion spree the witch had gone on.
Seeing Indicus move forward was arguably alarming since he wasn't even waiting to see what the rest of the group did, but they were all already in a much better position for now he'd just call out, "Be careful Indicus you know what she's capable of." Yukan warned sternly, but he did not call him back, if the dragon wanted to engage her then he wasn't about to command someone who wasn't directly under him to come back. Even if he wanted Indicus too, Indicus was not under him in any official capacity. However instead of giving the orders for an assault Yukan stood steady, a look of determination in his eyes as he walked forward closer as the maidens with their protections did.

"It is true that we came here for battle For what you have committed in Kuridan is a great evil against the defenseless and innocent, and it must cease." Yukan spoke out to the White Witch. "But before we engage in a battle, I must know why. Why did you do what you did? why would you harm so many in such a violent way?"

Yukan continued sternly, "Why did you use Sawazuki for your twisted activity?, or attack the Masanori Clan?"

"Even now you bring me more questions..why do you not strike us down where we stand..You know why we are here..You put on a great all powerful show..but something tells me that all isn't what it seems.." Yukan just had a feeling, while it could be wrong that perhaps there was something more foul at play..indeed he was also well aware that she could just be playing mind games with them.

"Are you, under the influence of..something greater, White Witch?..Has this great corruption taken you?"

He asked, knowing there was just as much chance of her not saying anything..but even so, he wanted to know what was going on it just didn't sit right with him that she hadn't tried to kill them all immediately when they showed up with the powerful magic attacks she just showed unless she wasn't actually capable of them and she was using her illusions to compensate.

Just maybe, there was a possibility that she wasn't even in control with this much corruption and miasma..if there was even the smallest possible chance this was the case, he didn't want to try to mow her down just yet.

Ceylan

720px-Npc_zoom_3030074000_01.png

Ceylan (Event) - Granblue Fantasy Wiki
Languages: Common | <Beastial>
Mentions: gmimperfecti gmimperfecti | Paru StarPrincessVal StarPrincessVal | Yukan TheTimePiece TheTimePiece | Kai Shiyonichi Shiyonichi

A weak, yet genuine smile formed upon his lips as Paru suddenly asked him if she could offer a prayer. “Of course.” He doubted anyone would mind a simple prayer, regardless of whether they worshipped the exact same gods or not.

When Kai silently started to help him, he'd give a small nod of recognition towards, and gratitude for, his efforts. Somehow, sharing this burden with others made it ever so slightly more bearable.

Yukan's way of granting permission was odd, to say the least. What even did 'at this moment' mean? This wasn't exactly the type of thing one could change their mind on. These soldiers would get their passing rites only once, a thing that couldn't be redone later. Still, he decided not to think too much upon it. Perhaps Yukan was simply a little out of it as well, having lost so many of the soldiers entrusted to him.

Another bit of comfort, ever so small yet present, was that he noticed he wasn't the only one facing this hardship the way he did. Even the veterans, Yumeko and Gyoubu, were clearly burdened by the death toll. It provided an ever so slight bit of relief. This wasn't something he was supposed to grow used to, this was something he could feel terrible about, so long as he'd find a way to press on afterwards.

When the ceremony was done, a burden was lifted from him. He might have failed them in life, but at least, he'd been able to offer them proper closure in death. It was not the desired outcome, but one that he might find peace with, eventually, perhaps.

Although he was weary and tired, he'd nod at Yukan's command. It was the same as before, spreading out to cover as many people as possible. He could do that, at least, if nothing else.

He was shocked when, all of a sudden, the White Witch was right there. Her illusions and magic playing with their minds and senses like it was nothing. As she spoke to them, he tried using his Sixth Sense [Malicious magic/curses] D to see if it would reveal more of her true nature. After all, the landscape it self was enough to show them all that this being was not the type to have tea with.

“I merely seek to cleanse this place.” He spoke. He wanted neither battle nor comfort. He wished for this place to be made good again. Oddly enough, the falling stars didn't impress him as much as they probably should. Perhaps due to a lack of how strongly the maliciousness was in the magic used or perhaps simply due to him being too tired to care about being blown up by a falling star...

He didn't like the way she invited them. It was clear that she was ready for them. Yet they were beyond the both of no-return. They had to face off against her.

Still, Ceylan was surprised when even Yukan questioned her in a way that suggested a willingness to cleanse, rather than kill. Was the warlord far more forgiving than he gave him credit for? Ceylan wasn't sure, but awoke a slight bit of optimism. Perhaps, even this vilest of evils, could be cleansed. That said, they'd probably need all the help they could get. Especially after part of their army had fallen.

“Once more, I call upon thy aid.” He spoke, followed by a prayer and [Summon Celestial E]. He wondered. Would the heaven's answer him, here, at the heart of this White Witch's corruption? His ties to the divine realms were strong, as a Scribe of Celestials, Holy Child and Wandering Saint. Yet it was clear that the White Witch's corruption ran thick. He wondered which was stronger.

E CD's (duration)
Summon Celestial E – Summon Creature E, Magic Affinity E, Magic Duration F, Religion E, Energised E – Character attempts to summon a creature from the heavenly/divine planes of existence to aid them. Has a 30 ft search range. - Grade E – 0 Post Cooldown.

TheTimePiece TheTimePiece

Indicus paused for a moment when Yukan called out to him before turning his head and nodding. "I know Yukan, thanks for the concern maybe after all this I might stay for awhile if you are willing to employ me after the current job is finished." With that said Indicus continued onwards at a light jog.

Paru
pony tail white hair yellow snake eyes antlers cat ears kunoichi determined s-3366666018.png

Mentions: Orikanyo Orikanyo gmimperfecti gmimperfecti TheTimePiece TheTimePiece
Paru noticed a change come over Ko as they walked. He seemed more pensive, more reserved. She wondered if the death toll had gotten to him. She didn't know how long he had been with this group, maybe a good friend was lost. She wondered if she should feel worse. She was not unfamiliar with losing friends, trainees, drinking partners. Maybe Ko wasn't the brash fool she had thought this whole time. Maybe he deserved a second look.

As the stars and moonlight began to fall at the witches behest, Paru began to dodge and manuever with the others, until it was revealed to be an illusion. She stood by and listened to Yukan address the woman, waiting to see what move they were going to make. As she waited, a voice cut through the rest of the sounds.

"The fuck is a scone?"

She smirked and had to stifle a laugh. No, the mutt was exactly who she thought he was.

The Final Scene! The White Witch and the Watchtower!
"It is true that we came here for battle For what you have committed in Kuridan is a great evil against the defenseless and innocent, and it must cease." Yukan spoke out to the White Witch. "But before we engage in a battle, I must know why. Why did you do what you did? why would you harm so many in such a violent way?"

Yukan continued sternly, "Why did you use Sawazuki for your twisted activity?, or attack the Masanori Clan?"

As Yukan's voice resonated through the twisted air, the illusionary avatar of the White Witch seemed to ripple and react to his words. Her projected form, which was massive and terrifying, now shrouded in darkness with tendrils of mist swirling around her, turned her piercing gaze upon him.

"You wish to know why?" The voice of the White Witch echoed, deep and haunting. "The tapestry of motives is woven with threads of despair, vengeance, and power, yet you wish not to see even a reflection of it."

The White Witch's avatar raised an arm, and ghostly images appeared in the air, showing a young tanuki women with a kind face in race paddies, looking content with her simple life. Above her as night fell a large full moon looked over the young tanuki women and her family.

"Once, I was but a simple guardian, protecting and watching the world and its inhabitants," her voice, tinged with nostalgia, enveloped the group.

The scene shifted to show the same woman, but this time the women's rice was being ceized and her house cast aflame when they questioned the act, her kin fallen to yari and sword. She was on her knees, her face twisted in pain and sorrow. "The Masanori Clan takes what they want as if it was their right. They trample on what is sacred, and in their arrogance, they have left a wound in your clan. What you would call harm was but a reflection of what has been going on. And you rush to their aid, averting your eyes from the source of the reflection as if the sun didn't exist!"

Yukan seeing Indicus move forward was arguably alarming since he wasn't even waiting to see what the rest of the group did, but they were all already in a much better position for now he'd just call out, "Be careful Indicus you know what she's capable of."

Indicus paused for a moment when Yukan called out to him before turning his head and nodding. "I know Yukan, thanks for the concern maybe after all this I might stay for awhile if you are willing to employ me after the current job is finished." With that said Indicus continued onwards at a light jog.

She laughed, turning to look at Indicus. "Honestly brother, I'm quite disappointed in who you've choosen to accompany you."

"Sawazuki's fate is most amusing and a true reflection of the plight of so many tanuki in your clan. Something terrible happened to her, she was blamed and shamed for worse, and even her componensation for assisting me was consfucated. I might as well ask you the same question, mhmmm?"

"Even now you bring me more questions..why do you not strike us down where we stand..You know why we are here..You put on a great all powerful show..but something tells me that all isn't what it seems.." Yukan just had a feeling, while it could be wrong that perhaps there was something more foul at play..indeed he was also well aware that she could just be playing mind games with them.

"Oh yes, I have a the height advantage and range. Killing you would be quite easy, but that isn't necessary. The true villian has presented themselves and you have felt the heavy hand of their perversion many times now, haen't you?"

As she spoke to them, Ceylan tried using his Sixth Sense [Malicious magic/curses] D to see if it would reveal more of her true nature. After all, the landscape it self was enough to show them all that this being was not the type to have tea with.

Ceylan looks upon the contrails of magic forming the illusion and indeed up towards the second story of the watch tower at the White Witch herself. He can see no malice or curse upon her. She is white the reflection of golden solar light turned lunar white.

Ceylan spoke, “I merely seek to cleanse this place.” He wanted neither battle nor comfort. He wished for this place to be made good again. Oddly enough, the falling stars didn't impress him as much as they probably should. Perhaps due to a lack of how strongly the maliciousness was in the magic used or perhaps simply due to him being too tired to care about being blown up by a falling star.

Yukan joined in, "Are you, under the influence of..something greater, White Witch?..Has this great corruption taken you?"

But from it all, from all of the play of illusion and danger given off by the white there was but one thing that the man could say. Drapped in his black robes, the young man roughly pulled down the mask that covered his body and proudly spoke with insignant pride and anger only the firey spirited could possess. "The fuck is a scone?" So sayeth the shinigami.

Paru smirked and had to stifle a laugh. No, the mutt was exactly who she thought he was.

“Once more, I call upon thy aid.” Ceylan spoke, followed by a prayer and [Summon Celestial E]. He wondered. Would the heaven's answer him, here, at the heart of this White Witch's corruption? His ties to the divine realms were strong, as a Scribe of Celestials, Holy Child and Wandering Saint. Yet it was clear that the White Witch's corruption ran thick. He wondered which was stronger.

A celestial light enveloped Ceylan as he called upon the heavens. Suddenly, the twisted domain around them shimmered and the atmosphere began to clear as a divine figure descended. It was a majestic celestial being, with wings that seemed to be woven from light, and eyes that held the wisdom of ages. The creature’s presence countered the twisted illusions, casting them away as if banishing shadows.

The hunters watched in awe as Ceylan’s summon manifested, providing a stark contrast to the White Witch’s illusions.

The avatar of the White Witch watched the celestial being with keen interest. "Ah, such a thing you call purity," she whispered. Her tone; however, did not betray any fear or concern. She was still exuding confidence.

Ko, the young pup-man who had brazenly questioned what a scone was, stood there defiantly, his question still hanging in the air.

The White Witch’s avatar finally addressed Yukan and Ceylan. “You asked if I am under the influence of something greater. It's walked amongst you this entire time. You've embraced it as a trusted companion. The corruption, as you call it, is not mine but yours such are my powers. You stand here, in the heart of what has been shaped and still don't even know to ask the right questions. Do you think the celestial light can cleanse the depths? Should it? Come then, I shall show you the answer to the questions you should have asked.”

She then turned to Ko. “And to answer your question, a scone is a delightful baked good, often enjoyed with tea. But that is not the answer you seek. You, young one, have the audacity to cut through the layers of illusion and pretense. You seek more.”

As she spoke, the avatar began to retreat slowly, her image receding into the mists.

“I invite you to face the truth of my existence. Ascend the tower, if you will. You won't find what you seek but upon reflection you may come closer to the light.”

With a final gust of wind, the avatar of the White Witch vanished into the mist. The illusions around the tower began to clear, and the twisted atmosphere waned.

They had been invited, and they had questions. Whether it would end in battle or understanding was unknown. But they had taken the first step.

TheTimePiece TheTimePiece gmimperfecti gmimperfecti

"Honestly brother, I'm quite disappointed in who you've chosen to accompany you." These words caught Indicus' attention and as he listened he found the white witches choice of words to be curious she alluded to being at odds with the Masonori clan while saying the corruption was among them. He knew she was trying to tell them something but even with all the pieces he could only understand and guess at parts. Perhaps with more context granted by going through the tower he might learn more. The word brother still bounced around his head like a mantra and her disappointment elicited an odd sense of shame.

Indicus turned to Yukan. "Not everyone will be able to fit in the tower besides an army may not even be of use if we fight might be best to leave all but a small team here to wait." Once more Indicus decided to proceed at a slow walk, unconcerned if Yukan heeded his advice.

Ko Matatsu
blade of mastery.jpg

"...hrmm.. that almost feels like an invitation..." she did offer.. so... perhaps he should reach this tower and climb it as stated... or... maybe he should take a breather and go elsewhere...? No... he had a job to finish, and it was his job to finish it. He started his battle against this corruption, he but finish it according to what it required of him. He had a job now, he must see it through to be paid for his work...

What was he being paid now that he thought of it. He just got free clothes so... that was nice... but the only one thus far who had offered him tea was this White witch so.. perhaps he should take up this offer, see what she needs done and go from there...?

He was no backstabber, but he didn't have the explicit order to slay her... So...

"Yukan, I shall be going to treat with this White Witch, as was offered so i shall procede to speaking with her. If she is dishonorable I shall know it and cut her down. if not, i shall learn how scones taste." he had spilt one of his reasons for going as easily as one might consider speaking about the weather, or how HE might speak of killing. "If she is a foe, her tea will be subpar and ill conceived, no good hand can make good tea. it is a art distinct from morality, but the guilty hand good tea cannot make." he was.. rambling about something again, but he certainly looked intense as he did so...

"...And she spoke as if I were to be needed, perhaps the sword that unveils truth shall be required... For weal or woe." why was he suddenly speaking like this... maybe it was the familiar scent of Tengu that made him speak abit like his master... He was an old timey type of crow, even as unageing as sh- He. He Ko don't forget that, last you called him and her you got beaten to near death...

You do wish he wore clothes that made the distinction easier to parse but... When you are a master, what you say goes...

"...A truth will be awaiting me, i think... Why, perhaps the source is a demon sword of some sort."

Yukan Koyake
gmimperfecti gmimperfecti
Yukan glad that Indicus had been receptive to his words rather than upset by them or anything of the like. He actually sounded like he might want to work for Yukan in the near future which was certainly a benefit for the plans that Yukan had, since they were likely going to extent beyond just getting more military experience. Yukan genuinely needed to raise more wealth and prestige if he wanted to get anywhere with his plans. He needed to build respect. Perhaps Indicus would be interested in helping his goals become a reality if he paid him for additional protection, after all Indicus had no qualms being hired out prior so why under Yukan should it matter? Plus he already had a proven track record of reacting well, and fighting well, he could tell he was only going to get stronger with time..yes that was something to consider, as he gave a respectful nod Indicus's way, as to signify they'd discuss it more later.

Ceylan saying that he wanted to cleanse the place was reassuring on that front, perhaps they needn't resort to more death on both sides if it would be an effective method..nevertheless, and it wasn't before long he went to summon another celestial, which descended, it was all quite majestic, angelic like as Yukan was awed again. Even if Ceylan was of a different sect and faith it was hard to deny that he had a very strong connection with what was divine which impressed Yukan. Perhaps Yukan was being a bit hasty to feel judgmental against what was different to his own familiar religious customs..There would time to discuss that later he supposed, it wasn't lost on him that Ceylan had been working very hard along side them and must have been tired at that point..so it was all rather admirable he marched onward with them.
---
Yukan listened carefully to the White Witch's response. She still spoke cryptically to an extent not giving as full specifics as he would have liked.
While Yukan did notice Paru and Ko's interaction regarding the Scone initially he didn't react too much to it, he had heard of scones before but had never actually had or seen one in person.
The tapestry comment sounded like something which was sort of archetypal for the witch sort that Yukan imagined, someone who harbored so many negative emotions lashing out, that didn't exactly prove well of her being forced to act under duress..unless those were the justifications of feelings to act of whatever she was speaking of

Yukan watched the vision attentively after the witch spoke of once being a guardian and she showed the scene before them using her illusion magic no doubt. It was the sort of scene which Yukan heard of again and again, this was precisely the reason why Yukan was here, to prevent the innocent from being targeted and devastated in the way which the the witch showed. It didn't take him too long to figure out that she was antagonizing the Masanori clan for some reason, whether or not this was true was up to anyone's guess but given how the clans had a history of independent action in the past who knew how long ago this took place if it did?

Her words responding to his question about Sawazuki were not satisfying either, only getting limited information out of the whole thing..

What did ring true to him was when she said that killing them would be easy but it was not necessary..when she said the true villain had presented themselves, and then said that she was disappointed in the company which Indicus had.. Yukan's brow furrowed in thought.

What did she mean wrong questions? What did she mean it was with them all along? Was she trying to sew discontent and mistrust?

When Yukan started it string it all together..her disapproval of Indicus's chosen company, her vision showing the Masanori clan violating her and the people, Among them all along..was..there someone in the Masanori clan she was trying to implicate for all of this? Even if she was trying to say that..how could he know if it was true?

During the Scone segment, Yukan didn't react too much, while he had heard Ko and Paru's response earlier there wasn't a need to be reactive, as the White Witch surprisingly identified what it was.

Then there was her bid..an invitation to enter the tower and find out what she knew. Yukan felt the only way to truly end this corruption was to learn what she had to say..something was not all what it seemed or she could be trying to deceive all of them..but if they wanted to get to the bottom of it playing along was essential..

Yukan gave another nod to Indicus's comment after the white witch disappeared, and he looked around to everyone who was with them before tapping into his ability To Arms! to give the game plan.

"Indicus is correct, With the way the tower is situated it is doubtful we could bring many in for close quarters with it being effective, and even then since it is I who insisted we pursued this Witch, I will not be insisting any of you risk your lives further if you do not wish too...I believe the scouts should keep their current position during this ordeal, incase ranged support from outside is needed, a small team entering will serve our purpose best, it is the way forward to our objective."

"With this Said, Whiteclaw you may join the tower climbing party if you wish." Having a strong ranged combatant would be useful in the ascent as well.

Yukan turned to Ko as he spoke to him. "Very well, I was hoping that you'd be willing to come, You have proven to be most effective in combating this corruption, so I am glad to hear you wish to seek the truth as i do." The way Ko phrased it was most interesting..as if he was taking her up on her offer, no matter the fact that he was there would be good.

"I myself will be going along as Indicus as yourself is then."

Yukan then turned to Ceylan, once again trying his best to keep a respectful tone, and posture. "Ceylan, you have been essential in cleansing this corruption so far, and I know that you must have exerted yourself quite a bit from how much you have done already, but If we wish to truly cleanse this corruption, I would ask that you accompany Indicus, Ko and myself.."

He then looked to Riku, wondering if he himself or if anyone under him would wish to come as well, before looking back.

"As for the rest of you who have followed me, if you feel that it is your calling you may move forward with us"

Yukan was careful not to order anyone who wasn't under him directly but ask politely.
---
At that time when it was decided who was coming Yukan would step forward in the way that Indicus had and Ko was getting ready to and would make his way to enter and ultimately ascend the tower.

1. Use ability To Arms! to delegate plans.
2. When all is ready move forward with other decided party members to enter the tower and ascend.
To Arms! - Leadership E, Warfare F, Republic of Kuridan Etiquette F Grade E- Post Cooldown 1
Yukan uses his leadership skills and knowledge on warfare to give warfare related orders.

Kai did as he usually did. He didn’t have any personal gripes with the witch in any way. The people he wanted answers, but Kai personally didn’t have much to ask. There wasn’t anything that the witch could grant the Yakuza Hobo, nor was there anything he could really add to the situation. Just like how Yukan let him deal with his foe Kai would do the same, though that didn’t mean Kai would up and leave at the first situation. Kai simply gave a nod as he walked with Yukan’s group. If he was here might as well ride it out til the end.

Ceylan

Mentions: gmimperfecti gmimperfecti | Yukan TheTimePiece TheTimePiece |

SHe wasn't sure what to make of the White Witches' words. At times like these, it was somewhat comforting to embrace the simplicity at the core of his religion. “To fight evil with evil only brings forth more evil. It's the strength to face it whilst remaining good that's needed to end the cycle.” Truthfully, he put only some (persuasion F) strength behind his words, for he felt like she wouldn't be susceptible to them to begin with.

Truthfully, he was surprised to see no malice or curse upon her. Were his senses not strong enough, or did the source of this lie elsewhere? He wasn't sure.

He rejoiced when his summons were answered once more. It'd sure be of aid, now that their final confrontation seemed to creep ever closer.

Truthfully, her questions seemed odd. Yes and yes, were the answers, no? Perhaps an oversimplification, but one he'd reach again and again no matter how often he'd think it through. He was more surprised by how much time she spent explaining what a scone was. An odd one, that white witch... but scones did sound nice.

Ko sounded like he wanted to go get himself poisoned. Ceylan truthfully wondered if he'd soon be healing him... Either way, he shook it off, focussing on Yukan instead. “That was my intention, yes.” He replied, not sure why Yukan even bothered to still ask him to join at this stage. “Although it might be more challenging than I though, for I sense no corruption in her to cleanse. Either she truly believes what she said, or the source of corruption lies elsewhere.” He added, just to keep everyone up to date.

Five minutes before the end...
They had ventured through twisted woods and faced down illusions that had toyed with their very perceptions. The hunters who sought to be heroes found themselves standing before the old, abandoned watchtower with a mixture of resolution and melancholy.

The Masanori clan, clad in their warrior regalia, looked to each other with shame written upon their faces. Riku and Tashigoto, the once-proud warriors, were bowed by the weight of revelation. Their clenched fists and gritted teeth spoke of indignation as they came to understand the plight of the rice farmers whose lives had been exploited for their enrichment. The boar riders, the archers, and the few yari still left alive joined them, unable to hide their shame.

“We cannot proceed,” Tashigoto spoke, his voice barely above a whisper. Riku nodded in agreement, and without another word, the Masanori clan turned and made their way back through the woods.

Whiteclaw and his scouts, with their keen senses and instincts, had been in awe of the White Witch's display. Her words had resonated with them, and now, bolstered by Ceylan's revelation that she was pure and without corruption, they looked upon her with newfound respect. They felt a kinship with her struggle, and it was mirrored in the eyes of the tanuki who followed Yukan, Gyoubu among them.

With Yukan at the lead, they approached the watchtower. Ceylan walked beside him, his celestial aura flickering like a candle in the wind with his angelic companion marching right behind. Tia didn't leave her father's side. Ko and Paru followed, determination set in their expressions, although for Ko that determination might be as much for a new truth as a nice cuppa tea and a scone. Kai and Indicus, now sharing the brutality of the assault on the Toad's back, moved as one. Whiteclaw took up the rear, his gaze unwavering.

As they approached the entrance to the old watchtower, the hunters were immediately struck by the purity of their surroundings. The earth beneath their feet was devoid of the usual scents and signs of life; it was almost as if they had entered a realm that was too pure for the natural world. The air was crisp to the point of being sterile, and the silence was an absolute, unyielding thing.

As they neared the entrance to the watchtower, they noted vibrant green moss growing on the walls and the floor. This was the only living thing they could see, and it was oddly out of place. The air around the moss was fresher, as if it was an oasis of life in an otherwise stagnant place. The walls around the moss were pristine, devoid of any signs of age or weathering. The old watchtower was immaculately clean, an abnormality that was almost unsettling.

Yukan was the first to step into the watchtower, his eyes wide with curiosity and a hint of reverence. The others followed, their footsteps quiet against the stone floor.

The first floor of the watchtower was an almost surreal space. The same green moss that they had seen outside was even more abundant here, and it gave the place an almost ethereal glow. The air was pristine to an extreme degree, so pure that it felt almost void of essence. It was like breathing in the air in a space devoid of life.

What captivated them the most, however, were the paintings adorning the walls. These paintings depicted a city comprised entirely of tall, black basalt towers, which resembled an array of watchtowers. The city in the paintings was empty and abandoned, yet carried the same sterile quality that they felt in the watchtower. The only sign of life in the paintings was the same emerald green moss that they saw around them, growing in sparse patches in the otherwise lifeless city.

Gyoubu reached out and gently touched one of the paintings. Her eyes were focused, as if trying to decipher a long-lost language. “This place,” she whispered, “is like a sanctuary, but one devoid of the vibrancy of life. It is pure, but in its purity, it has lost something essential.”

The others looked around, feeling the weight of Ceylan's words. It was Whiteclaw who broke the silence. “Is it that which she is protecting somehow?"

Gyoubu frowned, "What is with the purity? If so why the corruption the corpse tree and that nightmare realm and with the Diseased Hill Toad. The trickery with the Masanori clan?”

Whiteclaw shrugged.

The silence in the room was so thick it seemed to consume all sound. The air felt empty, as though stripped of life itself, containing only the bare essentials of gases.

They found the White Witch at the top of the watchtower, not as the haunting figure they had faced earlier but as a regal entity, clad in garments that seemed woven from the very fabric of moonlight. Her eyes were like endless pools of crystal-clear water, which seemed to hold the weight of centuries within them. As they entered, she was in the midst of a coughing fit, and they watched as she coughed up what looked like clear water into a napkin. It was a distressing sight, yet she carried it with a grace that made them unsure of how to react. With a wave of her delicate hand, she beckoned them into the open observatory on the second floor.

The observatory was an ethereal space, open to the night sky above and with a panoramic view of the surrounding lands. Moonlight spilled into the room, dancing across the floor and mingling with the mysterious green moss.

What caught their attention were the unfinished paintings that surrounded the White Witch. The paintings depicted the same city of basalt towers they had seen below, but in these, there was something new. At the heart of the city was a pristine lake, so perfectly depicted that it seemed almost as if you could touch the water. It was the epitome of purity and tranquility.

However, at the very center of this idealistic lake was something that sent shivers down their spines - a massive void-black sword, partially submerged in the lake. The blade was painted with a black so deep it seemed to consume light itself; vanta black. It was as though they were staring into the abyss, the blade's shape so dark and elusive that they couldn’t discern its true form.

The contrast between the purity of the lake and the void-like sword created an almost haunting imagery that enveloped the room.

The White Witch, standing amongst her paintings, looked frail and worn, but her presence still commanded the room.

"This," she spoke with a voice like a whisper of the wind, "is what I have guarded, and what has guarded me. A sanctuary, devoured by the purity, the all consuming purity of an idea that's saturated its prison until nothing is left, nothing can thrive except that idea. It is incorruptible, I know I tried. An idea whose name should not be given voice and is devoured endlessly by the void yet even that can not devour it entirely."

She waved off the unfinished paintings and began to invite everyone to tea, which was set out at a table nearby with a beautiful set of bone white porcelan and mithril. Plates of scones, still warm and filled with a variety of scents and flavors were on three tiered platters around the table. "But where are my manners? Come let us enjoy a nice cup of tea and scones before the end."

As the White Witch's words filled the room, a sudden wave of fury surged from the celestial being that Ceylan had summoned. Its heavenly aura intensified, and its golden wings spread wide, casting a blinding light throughout the observatory.

The celestial’s voice boomed, echoing within the space as if resonating from another realm. “This... this prison was forged by the host of Heaven to contain an idea too potent, too pure to exist in the mortal realm. An idea that could unweave the very fabric of creation! To depict it is to risk releasing the confines that bind it!” it roared, its eyes fixed on the paintings with the intensity of the stars themselves.

In an unexpected, swift motion, the celestial being lunged at the White Witch, its golden sword raised high and gleaming with the wrath of the heavens.

The White Witch looked not at the blade and rushing celestial, but rather towards the others that had come. "See my point?" She didn't seem like she would put up a fight. "Enjoy the tea and scones," she said with a wink at Ko before another fit of coughing errupted even as the celestial flesh to kill the White Witch.

Kai would suddenly get between the Celestial and the Witch, not even flinching at heaven’s wrath. “I’m going to say, I don’t know what this full situation is about. But I don’t think ya should be this hasty.” Kai looked at the celestial with the same intensity he shown to the fae. Unlike the Fae, Kai’s gaze didn’t convey hostility towards the celestial, but uncertainty at the celestial’s action.

“I don’t know why, but ya should calm yerself. My instinct tells me, what yer about to do isn’t gonna end well.” Yes, that was what caused Kai to do this action, there was no logic behind it, but his instinct screamed at him to stop the Celestial. He didn’t even need to use his future sight, his intuition told him that violence right now, wasn’t the right answer.

Last edited:
Ceylan

Mentions: gmimperfecti gmimperfecti |

He was a bit surprised to see the Masanori's leaving. “You'd turn your back on this?” He'd ask, calling after them. “Should you not face your past sins by fighting this corruption, which has now harmed the people you're meant to protect. If her words hold any truth, should you not do what it takes to stop the spreading of this corruption, to fight for the people that support you? If you turn your back on it all, on the harm it's done to the people, only then do her words ring true. If you chose to face it and protect those that you used to exploit, you can prove to be better than that. Whilst her existence is an enigma, the results of her actions are clearly horrible and the task to end this spread of this corruption should be obvious.” He wasn't sure why, but he felt a desire to [Preach (C)] to them about this.

[Preach] – Religion C, Connected C [Syncretist Church], Energised C, Persuasion F – Character holds a long theological speech about faith. Not very entertaining, but theologically sound. - Grade C - 2 Post Cooldown.

Having noticed the result of his words on Whiteclaw (Empathy D) he made it clear to them as well. “Do not be mistaken. The magic that stems from here is vile and evil. Whatever is happening, it is not good and needs to be eradicated. If she gets in the way of such, she's somehow deluded or controlled in away that simply hasn't directly corrupted her thus far.”

Entering the tower, it was all too good to be true. Too clean, to pristine. Even without using magic, it had to be more of an illusion. He allowed his mind to ponder Whiteclaw's and Gyoubu's words. “It might be, but I'm not sure. However, I do know the corruption wasn't all on the Masanori clan. The way it spread through the ley lines couldn't have been them. Not only that, they died alongside us fighting that Hilltoad. It'd dishonour them to simply blame this all on them.”

When he saw her cough up clear water, he knew his instincts were confirmed. “An illusion of purity.” That's what it had to be. The blood she coughed up, made to look like mere water or worse, made into actual water to cover up the reality by simply overwriting it.

Honestly, she spoke in riddles, even to him. He did not know what was in these paintings. Nor what was truly transpiring here. He was glad he'd summoned a Celestial to his aid, if not for their power, than simply to get an explanation. An idea too potent, too pure to exist in the mortal realm. Did that explain why everything surrounding it got corrupted? Likely.

“Halt.” He command the Celestial he'd summoned. “We shall deal with this in due time, but we need to know why and how these were made, at least to avoid these events from repeating. Simply slaying her might only aid us in the short term.” Were the latter not to listen, he'd instead cancel the duration on his summoning.

Either way, he was confused. “Why would you depict these?” He'd ask. “Who or what drove you to these?” He needed to have a better understanding of this situation. If even slightly so. That'd allow him to judge the 'good' that might arise from this.

gmimperfecti gmimperfecti

Indicus walked through the tower looking at the paintings and trying to shake off the wrongness of the place then there was the void and the lake of the half finished painting. Indicus decided to indulge the White Witch and sat down drinking the tea in the cup in front of him. Watching events unfold Indicus had to admire the white witch, she seemed unfazed even by the Celestial trying to slay her and her lack of concern was the sole reason he decided to just continue to sit.

Indicus continued to listen as the priest tried to calm the celestial, taking time to try a scone and they tasted as good as they looked. Indicus noted either her cooking or her illusions were exceptional. And so eating scones and drinking tea was how Indicus passed the time as he waited for the White Witch to explain why she led them here.

Ko
0f20385a657e1da82ebe751212723f15.jpg

"...I ain't the worst place i've taken up the night in. Master several times ousted us into the wilds to learn the practicality of the blade. A bear shit filled cave was my find. The bear began to stank after abit, but being beheaded has a tendency to cause such a smell." he spoke frankly, considering the place as impertently as one might consider a brothel as he entered... With hopefully differing intent than what might be imagined as Ko's narrator drew comparisons.

Ko would consider the others for but a brief moment, those that slinked away with tails between their legs. Blame, it was an easy thing to wield, it fits in the hand of many but it's a blade that is bent and chipped, but it cuts a ragged and deep cut... But it cuts indiscriminate and hardly ever what is deemed to be cut. Shame as well cuts readily, oft at the behest of others, but it's blade is... hard to gauge... it is as long and sharp as you let it be, his master spoke of the blade of shame once during a drunken... lesson.

"KawKAWKAW! Don't let shame hold onto you! if you don't it'll never touch you! Shame is the killer of intent, go forward without shame and strength shall be yours! If you must fight in your fundoshi or less do so! Let their averted eyes be your entry to driving them to their death!!" his master stated, a bottle of half finished sake in his hand.

"That is fine master, but must you tell this lesson without ANY clothes on!?"

He saw alot of his master that evening, in his master's defense it was a very hot evening, but many of the students never seen a woman's form so... Oh well, Ko would think, knowing many of his fellows, they'd likely never see one again.

"...An artist's home then... This place doesn't reek of paint however... It reeks of a hospital. Far too clean. Where even the smell of blood is dulled." the young man followed the others, still unsure what to think of all this... but when it came to the tea and scones, once offered, the canid fellow did not wait very long once offered. Hell he all but ignored everyone else before taking a seat and giving a small bow. "Thank you for the meal."

he would regard the scone first... he was at first unsure how to eat it, taking it all in for the first few seconds. it was most certainly a pastry but the fork and knife gave him a hint, it seemed to have... chocolate, how rich, the biscuit like texture was pleasant to behold. He took the knife in hand and cut a piece, stabbing it with an unaccustomed hand into the piece, takeing the bite...

it was... Quite good.

Though he silently remembered something about... Chocolate being bad for dogs..? But he was canid kin not actually so... Ah... one wont hurt.

The scone was gone in a brief seconds, as he watched the celestial be halted by his fellow canid. He considered the scene as he took to the tea. "...Hmm..." it was well blended, the tea leaves well chosen for the cup, the scent was... lightly sweet.. but yet filled the nose with freshness, revitalizing.. No doubt she liked it due to this, her poorly condition likely was allevated with it's kindness...

Jasmine, herbal tea in nature. Some would call it Green Tea, a lovely choice for those ailing or wanting a clear refreshing taste after something rich...

Ko now considered the room, and the display, the unfinished pictures.. Ko would point out the sword so given focus. "Looks to me a cursed blade, or one given shape through... corruption? Corruption can be a sword then... Hmm... " the young man considered this from his seat.

"You've given me tea, and fed me. You've my service if you've a desire." he offered it so lightly, but his point was simple, she upheld her bargain, so he would uphold his. "Corruption is a sword, by law of opposites, so to is purity. I guess it's hurting you to hold onto it."

Yukan Koyake

While Yukan was glad to have a many allies who decided to come, the Masanori's clan's reaction was reasonable if they felt it was true what the witch had shown them, but just the same Ceylan had made a just point to counter it, as far as maintaining honor, there were a variety of options to take, so who really knew if any would come back. As for Yukan upon entering the building he looked around curiously, uncertain why it appeared to be so unnaturally clean, whatever this was it wasn't natural and given the context of why they had come there, it was..actually unsettling instead of relaxing to Yukan. The natural world was never this clean or pure, the beasts were of nature..even so he looked around at the scene cautiously.

He listened to what Gyoubu had to say and gave a nod in agreement. This really did feel so sterile it was devoid, and those paintings were not helping it feel any better at the moment.

"I agree with Ceylan, even if my senses are not as attuned of some of you as far as magic.. we must keep our wits about us..whatever all of this is, it isn't right..something has gone wrong here, something so sterile isn't designed for our plain..and doesn't follow the natural order."

"What appears so orderly and functional is a disorder which I feel must be dealt with."

While he wasn't sure how it connected to the grand scheme of the corruption seeping out, he knew that they needed to find the source and stop it..it was only logical that the source was here where the witch had been residing.

By the time they moved into the observatory Yukan looked around, this was another space which was most unusual, between the strange paintings which looked different than the ones they had seen earlier, and then there was the White Witch herself who looked much less threatening here, even if Yukan was on high alert, who knew if she had been telling the truth when she said she could have struck them all down with her magic from where she was? Who was really in control here? Yukan truthfully wasn't sure what information was accurate, how much of this was an illusion and how much of it was a state of other magic or reality?

Yukan was impressed with the brazen nature of Kai in how he stood between the witch and celestial of all things, to protect someone who had contributed to the deaths of many already, and whom created chaos. He understood the Celestial's position too however, this sort of thing was not supposed to exist here and went against the natural order..thankfully between Kai and Ceylan's orders hopefully going through the witch would be spared for now until they could figure out what was going on, Yukan was still not beyond the possibility of having to kill her regardless.

The group certainly put more trust into the White Witch's offerings than he would, Ko and Indicus immediately enjoying her offerings after the fact. Yukan wasn't sure what to make of Ko's words about offering the witch a service, but he was free to do what he liked, he wasn't under the employment of anyone there nor in any affiliated group where they had command over him. Yukan made his way near the others who took the witch up on her offer when it seemed like violence was not going to break out for now, and continued. Yukan would tap into his Republic of Kuridan Etiquette F as a standalone for now

He looked to the witch, "Whether you believe your intentions are noble, from first hand, I have seen people who are just trying to live their lives who have been devastated by whatever has been going on here with this corruption that's been spreading... even if what you say is true about what sins the Masanori clan committed against others, and as strong as a desire there is for vengeance..an eye for an eye for an eye can make the world go blind if you are not careful.." Yukan said, surprisingly perhaps sounding a bit more mature beyond his age.

Yukan continued speaking, after pausing for effect.

"I truthfully have no desire to harm you if it's possible, but this activity must cease, and I am willing to do many things to make sure that this corruption ends. There is no reason that others must be harmed, people who have nothing to do with what transpired, their livelihoods and loved ones should not be harmed or killed because of whatever this is..even if it was laid with noble intention..the results are not honorable, and it isn't justice." Yukan concluded.

"So please.allow us to understand what happened, and what needs to happen so that this can be resolved and all of this suffering and turmoil caused by this corruption can come to an end." Yukan asked with genuine interest.

The End
-----------------------------------------------------
...back before everyone left to ascend the tower...
-----------------------------------------------------

As Ceylan’s words washed over the Masanori scions, Riku and Tashigoto, a visible change came over them. The air rustled carrying faint motes of celestial light like dandelion seeds on the wind, as if even the ancestral spirits of the Masanori clan were listening.

Riku's stoic mask crumbled as he clenched his fists. Tashigoto's eyes were wide, taking in Ceylan’s words as though they were water quenching a deep thirst.

Ceylan could feel an energy surge as he invoked the knowledge and wisdom of the Syncretist Church. The angelic being behind him was a reinforcing radiant presence. "Fight the darkness inside of you and the darkness of the past. Fight and fight even after the falling of the light." The angel's voice resonated with the solemn echoes of ancient faith.

“The seeds we sow in the soil of our actions grow into the trees of our legacy,” Ceylan intoned, his words as much a prayer as a plea. “To turn away from corruption is to let the weeds of the past choke the saplings of the future. We must tend to our garden, no matter how thorny the stems. For in our labor lies our redemption. We are but caretakers of this world; our duty is to leave it richer than we found it. The Masanori, stewards of these lands, guardians of its people, have the power and the duty to make right what was once made wrong.”

As Ceylan’s sermon ended, he felt a silent peace envelop the area as all of the Masanori hunters as well as others who had seen the wandering saint hold back death and cast out corruption fell to their knees. The connection to something greater, achieved through communal benediction and introspection of the subtleties of spiritual corrosions: shame and humiliation were exercised from those Masanori here at least and perhaps the ancient spirits of their clan! He could feel an invisible tapestry of wills and choices from the past through the present and into the future SHIFT from what it had been like a snarl in weaving righted.

Riku’s voice cracked as he spoke, “You speak truth, holy one. We cannot turn away for the roots of the Masanori are entwined with these lands. We must face our past to build a future for those we serve.”

Tashigoto, with a newfound determination, added, “We will stand and fight corruption. We will honor our ancestors by protecting those they failed.”

As they spoke, Whiteclaw, who had been listening, stepped forward. His gaze, which had been wary and unsure before, was now steely and resolved. The scouts who followed him seemed to stand taller, their hearts no longer clouded by doubt.

“Whatever be the source of this darkness,” Whiteclaw stated firmly, “we shall face it. Not as mere hunters or warriors but as guardians of the land and its people.”

Ceylan had made allies not just for this battle, but for the stewardship of these lands. Forged as much in the shared blood spilt this week as by the spiritual guidance of his words and blessings.

--------------------------------------------------
...back to the present, atop the second floor...
--------------------------------------------------

The celestial’s voice boomed, echoing within the space as if resonating from another realm. “This... this prison was forged by the host of Heaven to contain an idea too potent, too pure to exist in the mortal realm. An idea that could unweave the very fabric of creation! To depict it is to risk releasing the confines that bind it!” it roared, its eyes fixed on the paintings with the intensity of the stars themselves.

In an unexpected, swift motion, the celestial being lunged at the White Witch, its golden sword raised high and gleaming with the wrath of the heavens.

Kai suddenly got between the Celestial and the Witch, not even flinching at heaven’s wrath. “I’m going to say, I don’t know what this full situation is about. But I don’t think ya should be this hasty.” Kai looked at the celestial with the same intensity he showed to the fae. Unlike the Fae, Kai’s gaze didn’t convey hostility towards the celestial, but uncertainty at the celestial’s action.

“I don’t know why, but ya should calm yerself. My instinct tells me, what yer about to do isn’t gonna end well.” Yes, that was what caused Kai to do this action, there was no logic behind it, but his instinct screamed at him to stop the Celestial. He didn’t even need to use his future sight, his intuition told him that violence right now, wasn’t the right answer.

The celestial’s eyes glared with righteous fury as it looked upon Kai who dared to stand between it and its target. It seemed as if time slowed in those moments, the very air tense with anticipation.

“Mortal audacity knows no bounds!” the celestial thundered. Its ethereal voice was like the rumbling of an approaching storm. It swung its golden sword with a force that was celestial in nature, a swing meant to undo what it saw as an abomination.

Kai's sword clashed against the celestial's blade and with a resounding crack, Kai's weapon shattered into a thousand fragments of steel and light. The force of the celestial's attack was so immense that it sent Kai hurtling backward through the air, colliding with the wall.

The room fell silent, save for the quiet coughing of the White Witch and the gentle whisper of emerald moss growing along the walls.

“Halt.” Ceylan commanded the Celestial he'd summoned. “We shall deal with this in due time, but we need to know why and how these were made, at least to avoid these events from repeating. Simply slaying her might only aid us in the short term.” Were the latter not to listen, he'd instead cancel the duration of his summoning.

As Ceylan's words fell upon the room, the celestial hesitated for a moment. Its fierce gaze shifted between the White Witch and the paintings, then to the shattered sword and Kai.

The White Witch then spoke up, her voice reverberating through the silence, "Stay your wrath, celestial. These paintings are but echoes. Even if a portion of the Green has followed me back, the Prison of Purity still holds.

Indicus continued to listen as the priest tried to calm the celestial, taking time to try a scone and they tasted as good as they looked. Indicus noted either her cooking or her illusions were exceptional. And so eating scones and drinking tea was how Indicus passed the time as he waited for the White Witch to explain why she led them here.

“But the idea is the seed,” The nameless celestial said. “This is too dangerous.”

The White Witch glanced at her younger brother and rolled her eyes, winking. A bit of her playfulness appeared for a moment before responding, “Staring at the sun will blind a person, but looking at the moon can give insight into the sun. This place, this tower, is a reflection, a shadow of that which you fear will someday come. Through me, it was given form, so that its echo may serve as…" She trailed off into another coughing fit. Those with keen noses would notice the stuff she hacked up was completely without odor, pure and clear it might have been distilled water.

Ko’s scone was gone in a brief seconds, as he watched the celestial be halted by his fellow canid. He considered the scene as he took to the tea. "...Hmm..." it was well blended, the tea leaves well chosen for the cup, the scent was... lightly sweet.. but yet filled the nose with freshness, revitalizing.. No doubt she liked it due to this, her poor condition likely was alleviated with its kindness...

Jasmine, herbal tea in nature. Some would call it Green Tea, a lovely choice for those ailing or wanting a clear refreshing taste after something rich...

The White Witch got to her feet, staging a little and hobbled to the set out table plopping down next to Indicus. “Ah,” she reached over, taking a small sip of the jasmine tea. “Tea is impure, you know.” She looked at Ko, “The pure distilled water steeped with foreign matter, together something greater than if nothing had been done.” She laughed.

Ko now considered the room, and the display, the unfinished pictures.. Ko would point out the sword so given focus. "Looks to me like a cursed blade, or one given shape through... corruption? Corruption can be a sword then... Hmm... " the young man considered this from his seat.

“Ah,” The White Witch smiled like the radiance of the full moon, “So you see that by nothing being there it is there. At least it isn’t supposed to be there, but the idea that it must be there is why this only served to bind a most insidious idea and not destroy it.”

"You've given me tea, and fed me. You've my service if you've a desire," he offered it so lightly, but his point was simple: she upheld her bargain, so he would uphold his. "Corruption is a sword, by law of opposites, so too is purity. I guess it's hurting you to hold onto it."

“They call it a Void Blade. Ironically the void is the very absence of all things and thus the most pure. The Celestial Ideal is but an impure reflection of the true purity of the Void. What you see is the answer. Corruption is a blade, just as your sword was not a sword yet it severed the idea connecting you to the poor Corpse Tree. You are proof that mother chose right by setting my brother in motion where and when she did.” She smiled, reached out and playfully slugged Indicus in the shoulder.

As Ko and the White Witch's words on purity and corruption resonated in the room, Whiteclaw, the scout leader, slowly started to comprehend the significance of what had unfolded. The stern expression softened, and Whiteclaw looked around at everyone who had followed them through thick and thin.

“Lads, we've seen somethin’ today that'll be etched in our souls,” Whiteclaw spoke in a hushed tone. “We've always fought for what’s right, but today we learn that there’s more than just black and white, good and evil. There’s a balance and maybe something more beyond that. The land ‘n its people need caretakers, not just seekers. We need to be both.”

Gyoubu, the Tanuki Shrinemaiden under Yukan, was notably impressed with Ko's words. Her furry face seemed to light up as she clapped her hands in appreciation. “Wisdom in such a vagrant! Ah, this is a sign,” Gyoubu said animatedly. “The Tanuki have always believed in harmony with nature, but nature itself has its shadows and lights. We must be the guardians who watch over both.”

Gyoubu then turned to the White Witch. “Lady, your paintings reveal the two extremes. We, the Tanuki, pledge to help you in safeguarding this sanctuary and understanding its secrets.”

The White Witch looked at all of them, her pale and fragile figure now emanating a sort of quiet strength. A sad smile graced her lips, and she spoke with a voice that was like a delicate breeze. “Thank you, brave souls. You see what many have failed to perceive. The sword in my paintings represents the devastating potential of unchecked purity. It consumes and leaves no room for life’s natural ebb and flow. Even this is unable to slay what lies beneath those mirror still waters.”

She looked at the emerald moss around them. “This moss is…” She started coughing again and this time not just the pure distilled water but little flecks of green came away into her handkerchief. “Damn, never enough time.”

Yukan looked to the witch, "Whether you believe your intentions are noble, from first hand, I have seen people who are just trying to live their lives who have been devastated by whatever has been going on here with this corruption that's been spreading... even if what you say is true about what sins the Masanori clan committed against others, and as strong as a desire there is for vengeance..an eye for an eye for an eye can make the world go blind if you are not careful.." Yukan said, surprisingly perhaps sounding a bit more mature beyond his age.

“Oh them.” She flicked her hand as if discarding a fly. “No one died. A small point was made. I had a little fun. Everyone learned a lesson. Etcetera etcetera. You should sit and have some tea, you seem to be missing the whole point.”

Yukan continued speaking, after pausing for effect."I truthfully have no desire to harm you if it's possible, but this activity must cease, and I am willing to do many things to make sure that this corruption ends.”

The White Witch said, “Oh the corruption, yes I thought it would work to counteract but it was too weak.” Then she paused and furrowed her brows, “You didn’t think >I< caused the corruption did you? I didn’t create the Corpse Tree nor sate it with the bodies of the wicked so they might know unending pain as they were incorporated into its matrix. And this blight had been festering for some time. This tower was neglected as the Shogun focused money and tanuki elsewhere. The shrines are wholly corrupted, all of them, save for the one you're wandering saint cleansed, but I hope you realize that in cleansing the shrine you may have missed the point.”

Ceylan said, “There is no reason that others must be harmed, people who have nothing to do with what transpired, their livelihoods and loved ones should not be harmed or killed because of whatever this is...even if it was laid with noble intention...the results are not honorable, and it isn't justice," Yukan concluded.

"So please allow us to understand what happened, and what needs to happen so that this can be resolved and all of this suffering and turmoil caused by this corruption can come to an end." Yukan asked with genuine interest.

As Yukan spoke with a wisdom that belied his youth, the room fell silent. His words hung in the air like the soft tolling of a bell, calling for reflection.

Riku of the Masanori clan, who had been silently observing, stood up. His stern expression had changed to one of resolve. His shoulders, which had borne the weight of his family’s troubled past, seemed somewhat lighter. “The young one speaks the truth,” he declared in a deep voice. “We, the Masanori, have paid for our sins in ways that words cannot describe. We have looked inward and found the courage to change. But revenge, and the suffering of innocents... this cannot be the answer. It is time to lay the past to rest and look to the future.”

Tashigoto, also of the Masanori clan, had a pained expression as she clutched her chest. Tears welled up in her eyes as she listened to Yukan. "I have seen the bloodshed caused by the corruption and it pains me to my very soul," she whispered. "If this is the cost of our sins, then let the cost be paid by us, not by those who had no part in it."

He looked at Riku and then turned to the White Witch. "White Witch, if our ancestors caused you pain, then let us find a way to atone. Not with more pain, but with healing. We can work together to restore the balance and protect this land."

The White Witch’s eyes, clear as crystal pools, seemed to well up as she listened. It was hard to tell if she was crying or the distilled water was just leaking out of her eyes. She looked at the Masanori clan members, and then to Yukan. “Then my little prank was not without merit, a small corruption perhaps of sweet Sawazuki, but when done with skill used to heal old wounds,” she whispered. “I had hoped the answer would be found here. I have been consumed by the purity of my purpose quite literally.”

“By the Heavens...” the celestial’s voice softened. Its realization came like a wave as it slowly comprehended the role of the White Witch. “You are the Keeper of Echoes, the failsafe guardian tasked with keeping an echo of the prison…you would be the first to fail, you would be…” the celestial whispered with both reverence and sorrow.

The White Witch's coughing fit erupted again, the once pure distilled water now entirely consumed with the green moss, flowering out of her and landing all about the table. “A star might die but its light would only reflect that long after the star was gone.”

The celestial, filled with regret for its hasty actions, bowed its head. "Forgive my ignorance," it uttered. It then turned to Ceylan, its voice now but a gentle breeze, "Your wisdom goes beyond your years, your holiness to have stayed my hand. We had it all wrong." With growing terror the celestial looked at the green moss, which had grown hairier, more stringy like cobweb.

“Just an echo.” She smiled, “A warning,” she choked on the green moss erupting from her throat, trying to tear it away. As the echo disappeared, the White Witch began to age rapidly. Her skin wrinkled, and her hair turned grey, then white. She seemed to be withering away, her purpose now fulfilled. The paintings aged at a rapid pace as well. The green moss also seemed caught in the collapse of the echo, fading from vibrant emerald green to a pale spearmint color.

"Remember," the White Witch's voice, now old and frail, spoke her final words, "Purity is not enough to destroy an idea, you can’t tell yourself not to think of something. The star seed needs more to be destroyed. Balance perhaps, a balance I could not find in time."

With that, her form dissipated into a cascade of starlight, leaving behind only the whisper of her voice and the memory of her presence. The paintings and even the afflicting moss turned to dust and disappeared. Leaving a musty old tower, empty except for the tea and scones, and the people that had worked through so much to have come away with simultaneously so much (the Hill Toad) and so little (satisfying answers).

The room stood silent, every soul present touched by the gravity of what had just transpired. Or perhaps just confused. The shattered remains of Kai's sword lay on the floor, a reminder that even something done with the best of intentions is not enough.

Indicus watched the White Witch no this Keeper of Echoes and listened to her speak and before he knew it she rapidly aged and faded away. He missed his chance to ask a question but perhaps she already answered it some time ago. She did refer to him as a brother then there was the familiarity he felt and even further the vials filled with a unknown but seemingly beneficial liquid placed in a area only accessible by kin. Then his Lunar Dragon bloodline.

Well he had an idea of the type of dragon to look for and perhapse that would narrow it down significantly but before he could journy into the land of monsters he would have to get stronger and with Yukan's ambitions he would have plenty of opportunities to sharpen his claws. As all great men have a long dark shadow even if no one wants to acknowledge it besides it might be fun playing kingmaker. He has been a thief, a crook, a courier, and many other things in his last life so why not add to that list in this one.

With a goal held firmly in mind and being one step closer to his own ambition Indicus stood up with a smile. A simple hunt for a Hill Toad so he could make some extra coin turned into so much more and here he was at the end of this little adventure readying himself for another.

With that same smile Indicus decided to search this tower for some journal that his sister left behind.

Kai calmly got up from the wall. He felt mildly annoyed as he left his regeneration to heal up any injuries he sustained. He walked up to listen to the final words of the witch in solemn silence as he picked up a scone and some tea to drink. Then it was revealed that he had been completely correct in his assessment and his instincts were correct, to which he gave a side eye. The glance was for a moment, but somehow Kai seemed to pass an entire message with that stare alone. If that message was verbalized it would have gone as such:

Motherfucker, I literally tried to stop ya from making the biggest mistake of yer immortal dumbass’s existence and you go on to break my fucking sword. Do ya know how much work I had to do to get that? That shit ain’t easy to get legally if ya were sent into the world with nothing, but the clothes on yer fucking back. Ya call me impudent, but ya don’t even acknowledge the guy ya actually hurt, ya fucking dumbass, how did your stupid ass get out of fucking celestial boot camp? Ya stupid piece of shit, if I was in charge of ya I would have thrown yer ass to the fucking street for being such a dumbfuck, cause if I let yer ass work under I would have committed sepuku out of shame. How the fuck do ya expect mortals to respect ya if ya act like yer brains were made from recycled fossilized shit from the dinosaurs? And when ya fucking realize the truth ya don’t even give a fucking apology do they seriously not give ya the course on fucking manners? Ya called me impudent, yet ya acted like a fucking winged child who watched way to much Super fucking Sentai and met the actor for the main villain and couldn’t understand the difference. At least ya could have done for all that shit would be to pull up yer fucking diaper and fucking apologized, dipshit.

Kai was mildly annoyed to say the least.

Kai gave a somber look at the end of their journey. There was nothing to do, but give a silent prayer before excusing himself properly, before grabbing the remnants of sword that was so rudely broken, before walking out after the witch had passed. Kai stood before a great tree and taking his other sword and slicing off three parts off it. He then rearranged two parts into a cross before burying it into the ground carving the name of the Keeper of Echoes. Kai then took the third piece and craved a third message to the rest of the group mostly aimed at Ceylan, Yukan, Riku, and the Celestial.

I will be taking my leave now, I thank ya for the opportunity to fight alongside all of ya. I will be the first one leaving as I wish to walk my own path in this world without being bound to anything. While this is the end for our current working relationship, I do not believe this to be the end. Let us have a drink sometime if our paths cross again.

-Kai

P.S. Celestial, Ya owe me money for a new sword.

Kai let the message as he walked to find his own path to heaven and his own way, until they meet again. Kai’s next destination was a somewhat familiar one, to the Barony he goes. Well, after he returned the other blade that is.

Last edited:
Ko

210_Okada Izou_4 (1).png

So much had been explained... Well.. Not really but Ko was used to that type of life. unexplained answers needing explanation through serious thought, meditation, when in truth the answer was as simple as taking a step back and looking at the big picture so you can see what the little picture was getting at. the lines that lead up to the situation at hand was more important than the situation.

The witch had long since been dead, this was just a reflection.

But... "Oi you! Don't call me a vagrant. i don't care how cute you are and how fluffy yer tail is I'll... Sit here and eat another scone and drink more tea." he took... Some... offense to what Gyoubu said, but not really, he really was a vagrant; but this was a vagrant's tale and so was he it's author.

Where was he? Right...

"So.. Don't remove corruption, but manage it. Corruption has a part in life alongside purity. Excess is the trouble... Hrmm..." ko scratches his head. "hard to think that toad was anything close to nature... Its easy enough to say "attain balance" but not explain how to do so... Guess corruption is just nature left to ruin...? Or worse..? Angered spirits...?

None of this is a sword... Wait.. no... Sword of angry spirits..? Gaaah i'm talking out my ass now." The swordsman grumbled, not fully certain if he was right or wrong. "All i know is GOOD tea has balance in it's flavor, heat and profile. Too much sugar ruins it, too much milk sullies it, to taste certainly but is it tea or just hot leaf juice by that point?

Taking it as is, finding the balance and sometimes dealing away with fussy ceremony if the tea needs to be served hot. Is key! And theres nothing worse than bad tea! Except maybe no tea." he paused in his rantings to sip from his new cup that he stole from another seat at the table. "...And remember when to take rest from the tea to cleanse your palate."

Ceylan

Mentions: gmimperfecti gmimperfecti | Orikanyo Orikanyo Shiyonichi Shiyonichi Shadow Dancer Shadow Dancer TheTimePiece TheTimePiece StarPrincessVal StarPrincessVal

He'd been glad his words caught on to the Masanori's. His tail betrayed as much, slowly wagging back and forth. He should never try to deceive someone. Knowing that they were now braving this corruption was enough for him to feel glad he'd spoken up about it, rather than staying silent. As he got to preaching, the words passed his lips so naturally, it was like they weren't even his own. He was glad to see Whiteclaw reaffirm his convictions as well. They needed a firm resolve to face the White Witch.

Truthfully, Ceylan wasn't sure what was going on with these paintings. Which was a euphemism. He was completely lost. Truthfully, he was even slightly unsure if stopping the Celestial had been the correct move. It's why he was all the more glad to hear them interact, as it seemed the Celestial eventually realised that whom they were dealing with wasn't an enemy after all, but some form of guardian. “Trustfully, I was merely blessed to be guided by instinct correctly.” He replied to the Celestial's words of gratitude, for he could not claim much victory with how much divine luck had been involved.

Confused as ever, he watched the White Witch and paintings age and vanish. His instinctive desire to heal them halted only by the clear signs that he wouldn't be able to do so. A deep sigh escaped his lips. “I'll have to think on what exactly happened here for a long time, it seems, perhaps looking through the scriptures and asking for divination will grant me answers.” He spoke to nobody in particular. Then, he turned to the others. “Whilst we didn't accomplish what we set out to do, I believe it was still good for us to have arrived here. For now, however, I must press onwards. Perhaps our paths will meet again, or if you ever wish to come seek me out, my fate will soon be intertwined with that of the Holy City of Vegard in the far north. Otherwise, I shall pray for you all to be successful in all the good that you set out to do.”

He then turned to the Tanuki's in particular (Yukan, Gyoubu, Riku, etc.). “I've learned a lot from having been amongst your ranks, so I wish to thank you for letting accompany this endeavour. Whilst it is not a divination, I have a strong sense our paths will one day cross again.” He turned towards Yukan in particular next. “Something, divine or instinct, tells me your future might hold great amounts of turmoil. Should you ever wish to search for my council, I would be more than willing to give it.” He'd almost forgotten something. “Should you meet with Longfeather, please give him my regards and tell him I'm sorry for never actually meeting with him.”

Next up was Indicus. “It seems your search continues even now.” He spoke, watching the lizard go through the tower, looking for something. “May you find what you seek.”

Then to Ko. “I believe that, what we learned here, is that nothing can be utterly pure, for it's a concept this world cannot fully grasp. Even so, it has also left me with many other questions. What I do know, however, is that striving for what is pure and good is not incorrect. Corruption needs to be weeded out to prevent it from growing, even though it can never been annihilated in its entirety. That, I believe, would be the simplest lesson we've been taught, even though I wish to think upon it even more.” He sighed, as it felt like he was looking at his polar opposite when looking at Ko. “As for what a sword is, to me, it is a necessary evil. A tool crafted to cause harm, needed for the good and bad alike. Able to harm and to protect, with no desires of its own, but with a polar opposite intent based on who wields it.” He sighed. “May you wield yours for good.” He hoped he could at least wish for that much, towards his near-polar opposite.

He then turned to Paru. “Should you wish to introduce me to your village, to share more lessons about my religion or about the outside world in general, you need only ask. There should be plenty opportunities to leave the Holy City of Vegard whenever my duties call me elsewhere, of which your request would be one.”

Although he also wanted to say 'goodbye' to Kai, the latter had already left. He displayed a small smile when he read the message carved in tree bark. Perhaps he'd not just be [Scribe of Celestials] but [Treasurer] as well, soon. With a final look across his shoulder, he would head onwards, towards his next destination. The Holy City of Vegard. Whether the gods would actually have him arrive there without more diversions was another matter, but that was one that only the future could tell.

Ko

Mentions Ceylen Elvario Elvario

"...You talk waaaay to much good boy." Ko spoke with a grumble, the man already leaving. Good is a sword? Well no shit, a good sword only cuts what you deem to cut and nothing else. A bad sword, an evil sword, cuts all things and severs all it touches, it needs blood to be saitiated, but in a sense this badness is simply hunger.

And is hunger not natural?

How foolish, when focusing too much on the good you forget the nessessity behind the evils commited, the struggle for life and the possibility of death. Good is... well Good, but in evil there is only perspective.

Chaos for the fly is weal for the spider.

Perhaps, someday, he will fall for a spider's trap.

But today he was the spider, a hunting one... He paused in his thoughts to look to his ankle, and plucked off a leech that had been there for a time. First by the back, then, the front.

"Tsk, the fly never knows its a fly." He crushed it beneath his geta, spilling blood and disgusting ichor upon the stone...

Paru
pony tail white hair yellow snake eyes antlers cat ears kunoichi determined s-3544958583.png

Mentions: Elvario Elvario

Paru was unsure what to make of the events that had unfolded before her. It seemed like they had done what they set out to do... but, no one seemed happy about it. though she could understand the feeling. Since she woke up in that place, she had been made more uneasy with her own questions she couldn't answer. The hijiri's words broke her out of her stupor. "I believe that would benefit both of us, though I am unsure of when I will return next. Recent events are pushing me to seek answers there, but I still have a task to do. I do not wish to return before I have started. Should I choose to take you up on your offer in the future, I will seek you out in this Holy City of Vegard."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back