• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

CITY OF BASTION (Beckoncall's RP!) Main story thread...

Discarded entry from Lydia's journal, after being told to ''write the first thing that comes to mind'':

The sun hasn't come out yet. Won't for another pair of hours. Lich' dream again. It was staring at me. There was nothing and it was staring at me. I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. I felt like I was dying. Again. I can't sleep.

I wonder what I should cook later. I have to make Tam something, even if she has already planned on making all of the pastries. She'll be so busy, on her birthday... she loves being busy. I love seeing her enjoy herself like that. Even if she ends up so tired...

I met the Hidden Faces' vendor yesterday. He seemed to have fun setting up his act. I remember how fun it was sometimes in the shop. I miss it. I know she does as well. Coming back for some days is good. She's so tall now. She'll be taller than me. She loved the mask. I wonder if Pasha will like his. We need to go the planes as soon as possible, find a name, because Vercingetorix is too extravagant a name, even for a dragon, send Leo news about it, then come back...

I don't know why I wanted to stay. We were underwater, darkness all around... Who in their right mind would want to stay? He looked so worried... I can't believe I caused that. Why does he bother? Why should he?

The festival is soon as well. She's been preparing her costume for weeks now. It's some sort... of bird crossbreed with an antelope. She's spent all of her money on feathers for the wings, and fake precious gems. She won't let me help. I could never bring myself to do things like that, still. I'm not creative enough.

She would have loved Taylan. Put up such a show. Stupid, idiot man. I should have helped... I shouldn't have listened to him and helped.

I've learned blood and astral magic, to help, and I didn't. A year ago, I would have rather died than study magic. New fire spells, and earth spells, and to be an archmage to protect the city in case another archmage goes rogue and wants to kill us all. Or the forest. Or a water monster. Or Brummelmarc. Everything seems to want to kill us lately. I wonder if it's a signal of some kind. I need to learn nature and bone, and refining which ones I have which I honest to the gods of course did not realised had been becoming more terrifying each time. More deadly each time. What am I even doing anymore? I've been such a great student, I forgot to make dinner for her. What a damn great sister I am. Dad would be proud out of his mind.

We'll go to war. We'll go to war. We'll go to war and no one seems to care. Should I care? How to tell mom she has to avoid cities we'll conquer? Conquer. Gods, how are we different from them...? Do we even try to? I know Leo did. I know he doesn't want this. I hope he doesn't.

The wedding, I haven't wrote about it yet. I don't like writting this way. It was so fun. We danced and there were so many people and... Pond wasn't there, because of course Pond wasn't there, and now she's trapped in the fucking Manse because I'm a fucking idiot who couldn't get her out sooner.
At least... I hope she's still there.

Oh gods, I keep messing everything up, don't I?

Sometimes I want this all to stop.

To Daughter Isis Al-Aziri from the Throne and hand of glorious Underlord Xyphon,

Your missive is both well received and concerning to me. Please accept my sincerest condolences for the loss of Dear Hamia -- she was more than a dear friend of yours and boon to the Eternal Empire, she was a true agent of house Xyphon. I have already dispatched functionaries to the side of Kashim Rahal, and his daughter will be honored in celebration of her life and service to the house and Empire. It is my sincere wish that the Rahal line does not die with him, but the methods my agents might propose are no subject for this letter. Still, he may choose to die with his name, it will be left to him.

You concern me with your recent reports of agents of house Touryan. They are strategists by name and nature so do not doubt for a second that this move is a ploy on your, and our, holdings in stake, state, and the belief and very souls of the Bastien. You are hereby granted a writ of Rejection by the high Cathedral -- Underlord Touryan is to cease prostelizations within the city's borders and by Imperial Veto is to close his church in the city -- he may re-open such abhorrent circuses in his own cities or conquests should he gain them, but as long as the situation of Bastion remains as it is, he will have to either relocate his followers out of the city, or be content to continue with gathering followers amoungst the lesser races like he has so far in the swamps outside the city. If Pasha has not relocated his "church" out of the city in two months time, You are called upon to destroy it with the very knightly order you share interest in the city governing the issue, burn all holdings and exile all that do not resist and put any who do to the torch. Pasha can concern himself with offending us, and the gods, on his own lands. In bastion it cannot stand.

Your attempts to control the situation regarding the dragon egg are to be commended, but security in Pasha's enclave of paranoia, his living castle-titan, should make it impossible for even the greatest of your agents to sway events as they stand now without risking open contest between the houses, a peace I enjoy immensely in the capital and wish not to compromise, lest it need be as previously discussed. Find some other ways to occupy your agents for the time being. Your investments in the Bastion black markets have reaped profits indirectly to Xyphon agents in the region and we are hoping you can use those interests as a carrot, or stick, in the coming dealings with the Bandar scum in the Westland Jungles. The "Ape Lords" must be humbled once Bastion's position is secure and safe. I trust you will make sure such barbaric animals will be brought to heel despite Lord Alder's affections for the foreign and the Alien. I know you shall not disappoint.

There is no mistake in the strange naming conventions of the far easterns -- Hisoo Birakumo of Yumi ceased to be a member of her line of succession with her betrothal to Leo Alder -- as such, as most political brides are renamed, she was given the name "Haecho" -- some overly sentimental name/title to convey her as an instrument of currency, to put it bluntly. As far as the deeper sentiments and aspects of their culture behind the ritual renaming I have little care or time for such pursuits. I only remind you that no mistake has been made, and we will be using the Birakumo Lands as a stationing point for taking further holdings in the far east during this time of expansion.

Your grace in holding back the justified wrath of the house is commendable, darling Isis. You continue to be a great tribute to the house, the capital, the empire, and the gods.

With Sincerity and an open hand to help,

Underlord Xyphon, Favored in the Highest.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A reply from vice-admiral Jormungand of House Touryan:

Your concerns are noted and if you will believe it, conveyed to the Underlord.

Pasha Bakur Touryan's loyalties are well scrutinized and his actions are sufficiently known to Underlord Touryan.

You will doubtless use what avenues of power you have to quash Pasha's dalliances with divine energy within Bastion, but the Underlord does not see any reason at this time to deny his nephew his enjoyments as he is allowed outside the city.

It pleases us to know that even our former rivals, House Xyphon, Appreciate the level of security that Pasha has been able to attain within the city limits with his fortress.

Trust that our trust remains with Pasha, and you needn't worry at all about to the extent he is being watched.

Underlord Touryan will not interfere with the declarations of religious authority as they relate to the inner domain of bastion. As such, We would appreciate, should you exercise Imperial veto and rite of Rejection on Pasha's sect, you restrict such condemnations to the city limits itself, and allow him to take his faith abroad, and into his eventual own holdings. We monitor the situation ourselves, and while we appreciate religion is the ultimate tool and domain in this case of House Xyphon, you do not hold a monopoly on the minds or souls of this world, at least not yet -- may the Eternal Empire's power grow to where this is an actual concern you might place in your ultimate jurisdiction, but for now we are content with you putting your foot down and all allowing things to take their natural course from there.

Your concerns are welcomed by the agents of house Touryan, and we wish to keep this channel open to you. The Underlord Trusts his nephew, but if the exalted house Xyphon wishes to expend resources verifying his loyalties -- we can only thank you for the resources you choose to expend.

It is also with our thanks that you have chosen only to take one legion of Xyphon's into Bastion for it's defense -- More bodies on the front lines in the Far east campaigns will be mutually gainful for both our houses.

With sincerity to your care,

Vice Admiral Jormungand, at the request of his imperial regent.

Last edited:
Three years ago...

Alcander hated mornings. He always had. Especially rainy ones. Last night had been hard on him, he was being taught dueling finally, after the last ten years of training for nobility, schooling, and grueling dinner practice, he was learning to duel. His arms and legs hurt from the strikes of the fencing sword, this was nothing like the belligerent fighting he was used to in his schooling.

One of the few joys of his morning was seeing Elizabeth. She woke him up everyday, on the dot, 6:00 AM. For a half-fae, he'd always found her beautiful. The pitter-patter of the rain against the open windowsill called to him, and he sat up in bed, Elizabeth's voice rang out in the chamber. "Sir Orestes, it's time." With that he sat on the edge of the bed as Eliza grabbed his shoes. Sixteen year old Alcander had found that this was his favorite part of his generally packed day, one of the few times he could seriously speak to Elizabeth, who seemed increasingly distant.

His schooling brought him further away from home as time ticked on. Eventually he would have to leave the capital, something he always dreaded. Now that his shoes were on though, he stood. Eliza stood in front of him, freckles ablaze in the cool room. Alcander felt the side of her head, her pointed ear showed, but he just rubbed a bit under them, the awkward moment fading as he chuckled in embarressment. "I'm sorry, El." He grinned, the girl giggled and replied with, "It's fine, Alcander. The schedule is filled today though, dueling classes in twenty."

Alcander frowned, his body ached from the hits that his instructor had landed. He was learning, but it was hard. "I understand." With that he started to walk out of his chamber, Eliza close in tow. The corridor was eerily similar to the main corridor in his new home in Bastion, possibly a coincidence. Other students sat on benches, and a friend of his, Tullius, waited outside of the door. Alcander had greeted him warmly, a handshake. "How long are you gonna let the fae squire to you?" He had said. Alcander generally found that same question was asked everyday. Routine at that point.

"Just as long as she is needed." Alcander would always reply. He knew that Elizabeth would one day have to knight, he'd lose her then. Maybe it was a good thing. He always tried to shift the conversation away from Elizabeth, instead moving towards his classes or talking about the day.

After classes and dueling was a half-hour of solitude before bedtime. Though it never was actually solitude. He was lucky to have a squire to speak to. And today the rain was the topic of conversation. "Beautiful rain today, Alcander." He had nodded, both of them sitting in the windowsill, droplets of ice cold rain hitting his side. "It's nice. I don't favour the rain as much." That was a lie. Though he did love the rain, it radiated a melancholic aura that was best for him to deny liking.

"You're a good friend, Eliza." The statement had left his mouth without filter. He didn't know why he said it at the time, just that he did. The half-fae's cheeks had reddened, her freckled face like a tomato. She had taken a moment to awkwardly clean her spectacles, putting them back on and replying. "I think that you're a good friend too." She'd said. They had been scolded for physical contact as they had fallen asleep in that windowsill, the pitter-patter of the rain letting them drift off.

Excerpt from The Man in the Shadows: The Life and Times of Leo Alder
We have breached the holdings of the Lich we have referred to as the Forever King. I must admit there is no other being in this world I currently despise than him. Others have crossed me or transgressed, but that is the nature of the living and life goes on. The Lich has blinded one of my venues of insight in an attempt to drive me into paranoia against parties I have admittedly had issues of trust with. I will have to rectify his damage to my workings later.

I write this as we likely are to do something unseemly in the pursuit breaching deeper and digging out this monster. Already we have uncovered more depths to his depravity, for he had a Heliophagus bound to his service. It was only with our efforts, the workings of the College and the blessings of the Lady of the Grave that we prevailed without more casualties. This only came after we successfully flooding most of the wretched Outer Sanctum which the creature had coated in dust of corrupted crystal. The deluge of Holy Water did its work and we prevented it becoming a tool for the Lich to use against us further on.

More tricks and challenges have come. Pasha Bakur Touryan took up cause as Champion in a duel with a Deathknight. We granted him our collective might of enhancing magics, allowing him to win out against the immortal champion and truly end him. The spirits seemed almost regretful... I must consult with them soon about the Lich and see if I might move them on. It would seem the Lady continues to favor me so long as I hold to my ways even if a necromancer. I can only thank her quietly in my prayers and attendance. What was perhaps calculated to appease my people is also something real to me. I've seen her take those who've served well that I knew quickly. My original guard, two waiting dead I originally bound in service until 'the Lady comes' which it would seem she finally did.

Now the Lich is preparing its Dracolich, reinforcing it even as I must prepare to use my arts to dismantle it and give my allies openings to destroy it. To reach it we must likely end a group of ghouls too naïve for their own good and obviously made so on purpose by the Lich. Yet they have revealed they are who make the Great Spell work. The doom of our city. Already am I preparing the 1st Alder Legion for fighting in a Bone lab, I fear I must ready others as we do not know the depths of them. I must consider though... is this the Great Spell of prior? The one that has made Bastion prosper? I must ask before I make a final commitment.

I hope to survive and make the next entry. To endure the Lich's personal realm of rot and horror. We need more holy water...

First Iteration of the Vorus Thresh Military Doctrine with Commentary by Pasha Bakur Touryan

Step One: Preemptive Strike

Given the overwhelming size of the Horde, a style of asymmetrical warfare must be conducted. Special emphasis given towards disrupting and destroying these targets in descending order of importance:

1. Command and Control (C&C)
2. Logistics and Operational Capabilities
3. Magical Ability
4. Personnel and Manpower

1. Regarding the C&C of the Vorus Thresh, the Orcish coalition is simply an anomaly. It is rare to see the warring tribes and clans of the orcs unified under a single banner. However, in this union lies the Vorus Thresh's greatest weakness and strengths. Assuming that the combined leadership of the Orcs is egalitarian, partisan conflict and internal dissent is likely if not inevitable. In fact, we have already seen potential conflict and wavering confidence within the Tusker Clan, the Clan that specializes in scouting and special operations within hostile and enemy lands. Causing the Tusker Clan to defect or to leave the Horde would help render the Vorus Thresh blind, and more prone to ambushes, furthering our asymmetrical warfare abilities. Effectively, harming the OPFOR's operational security (OPSEC) and situational awareness. Another point of weakness can be seen in the Bugbears... treated like lesser beings by the Orcs, it is not hard to imagine that they bear resentment against the OPFOR. This presents another opportunity to cause desertion that would harm the Vorus Thresh's operational abilities as the Bugbears present a lot of the manual labor and logistical manpower for the hordes.

Another strategy that can be pursued in destroying the Oposing Force (OPFOR) C&C is in the destruction of its key leaders. The hordes are unified merely due to the strongman figures that their chieftains present. The systematic destruction of the OPFOR leadership would likely render the Vorus Thresh unable to remain a cohesive unit. Factionalism and internal strife would quickly run rampant if the entire leadership were destroyed in one fell swoop. However, the inability to completely annihilate the leadership and only partially succeeding in the destruction of the C&C would allow the surviving leaders and chieftains to consolidate their power even further and centralizing their power... presenting an even more efficient and fearsome foe. This strategy is extremely high risk and high reward. Complete success would lead to the complete dissolution of the Vorus Thresh, but anything less would merely make the hordes stronger and more cohesive.

Alternatively, the Vorus Thresh was ultimately called by the Lich... an unholy alliance of sorts. The destruction of the Lich would likely deter the horde from continuing their war as it is clear that their siege abilities are lacking. They have primitive logistics lines that are clearly unable to support such a large horde for extended periods of time, and much of Bastion's food supplies were recently destroyed... a bit of a blessing in disguise as it prevents the Orcs from attempting to forage. Such a large offensive is costly in terms of materiel and supplies, and the Orcs are likely unable to sustain themselves as they are unable to organize logistics trains like the Empire or the Kingdom of Attolia. The death of their allied commander would likely make the orcs realize that this war would be futile... or at least that a siege is hopeless.

2. Expanding further upon Logistics and Operational Capabilities, the largest cause of death in military campaigns is not from combat. Rather it is from illness and starvation, two problems that logistics are meant to prevent. The Orcish army runs on food. No different than the Empire and its legions. Although, the orcs have the advantage of being able to consume a... wider range of items as food, they will not be able to survive while consuming dirt and grass. Targeting the OPFOR's supply lines and foraging parties will allow us to slowly starve the enemy. Special strike groups can be sent to attack their logistics lines. In addition, we could attempt to summon swarms and bugs to eat the orcish food supplies.

Alternatively, we could try to increase the demand of supplies of the Vorus Thresh. Continuous, random raids would force the Orcs to stay vigilant and cautious. This would prevent an Orc from being able to sleep peacefully and begin to fatigue them. In addition, increased physical strain would mean that the orcs would have to consume more supplies to maintain their strength and put even further strain on their logistics lines. In addition to this, targeting beasts of burden would compromise mobility and maneuverability.

In addition, the lack of supplies will also assist in cultivating strife and conflict within the Vorus Thresh and may even lead to desertion.

3. The Orcish shamans are... crude to say the least, but their focus on sheer willpower and strength rather than graceful spell casting leads to powerful spells and at times... unexpected consequences. While their abilities is largely variable, they are a considerable and unknown variable that can shift the tides of this war. Through sheer dumb luck, they could potentially cast a spell that causes a devastating earthquake that destroys Bastion's walls.

4. Finally, a more traditional method to conduct asymmetrical warfare is to target the orcish manpower. Many potential strategies can be utilized to accomplish this. One is area of denial where mines and various other anti-personnel weaponry are used to drain the Vorus Thresh's manpower and numbers. Orcs may not fear battle, but perhaps they will fear the unknown. The terror of having to walk through a field where one step can end a life in an instant is... not pleasant for anyone. Another choice is the use of biological warfare. It would be possible to create an illness unique to orcs and use it to wipe out an entire tribe within a week. However, this strategy is rather unpredictable as the Vorus Thresh may be able to effectively purge their ill through sheer brutality. Another option is chemical warfare... clouds and sprays of toxins, poisons and or acids can cripple the Vorus Thresh and help equalize the numbers.

Step Two: Holding the Frontline

Under the assumption that effective preemptive strikes are taken, holding the fort at the pass becomes more feasible, and indeed our best attempt at stopping the Vorus Thresh before they are able to do substantial damage to Bastion and the Empire. Assuming that the Vorus Thresh is not dispersed through the destruction of the leadership, we must rely on more traditional defensive measures and hold out in the mountains where we will have advantage of terrain. The order of battle should be roughly established as follows:

If the pass is not flooded:

1. No Man's Land
2. Forward Elements and Skirmishers
3. First Line of Battle
4. Fort Garrison/Counter Sappers
5. Reserve Forces

1. The No Man's Land is where a bulk of our traps can be placed. Punji sticks, land mines, ditches, moats, and perhaps even sea mines. Furthermore, the terrain can be altered to our desire. With the melting ice caps and glaciers, the ground will likely be muddy and difficult to walk on. Further attempts to make the ground difficult to traverse will be helpful such as oil slicks and barbed wire. Withering artillery and ranged attacks will be helpful in thinning the Vorus Thresh's numbers.

2. As we are outnumbered, lives are precious. This is why most of our expendable golems and skirmishers should be placed in the front. The goblin skirmishers to assist providing missile fire at the approaching Vorus Thresh then falling back, and the golems to receive the initial charge. Golems do not tire, but Orcs do. Keeping our infantry back will allow them to remain fresh and ready. In addition, with golems receiving the charge, we can continue to utilize artillery and missile attacks without too much fear of friendly fire.

Danger close fire support will be extremely viable and effective. Consequently, most of our ranged units should be on the cliffs to provide the needed fire support from above and in relative safety where they can also have access to more munitions and arrows that we will stockpile in the ruins. Needless to say, the orcs will likely have some sort of counter measure for this and thus some reserve infantry should be above as well as a precaution. In addition, we should consider collapsing a part of the cliffs on top of the Vorus Thresh. Not on the vanguard, but in the middle of their entire formation as it would cut their army into two and allow us to focus on one half of the army while the other half struggles with overcoming the collapsed cliff blocking their way.

Another potential tactic that should be considered is the use of smoke. Golems and goblins do not have to worry much about smoke inhalation, one does not need to breath and the other is much shorter than the average orc. If smoke, toxic clouds, and/or sleep gas can be maintained at orc head level via magic, then substantial amounts of damage can be done as the cunning and agile goblins can swoop in and attack the legs of the advancing orcs.

3. The First Line of Battle is where the bulk of our infantry will be as we should not allow the Orcs to reach the dam where they will be able to destroy the fort with explosives or other means. With the forward elements receiving the Vorus Thresh's initial charge, our men will be fresh and potentially be able to counter charge into the stalled orcs. However, it is at this point that most of the fire support and artillery should shift to the middle and rear of the Vorus Thresh formation.

4. The Fort Garrison would largely be support units, maintaining the fort, mending any gaps that appear and providing direct fire support over the heads of the First Line of Battle. In addition, this is where our own engineers and counter sappers should be, digging deep under the dam and towards the enemy, hunting for the enemy's sappers and tunnels that could be used to attack our battle line and or the fort. We must sabotage the enemy's attempts to sabotage our defenses.

5. The Reserve Force will be in the back and serve as a mobile force to deploy and help anywhere aid is needed... or to serve as a final line if things become desperate and rally any remaining friendly forces to at the very least buy time for others to withdraw. A rout would be a nightmare and lead to the complete destruction of our forces in these cramped valleys and mountains.

If the valley becomes flooded:

1. Crossfire
2. 2nd Line of Defense

If the Orcs manage to deploy their ships, then all our fire should focus on sinking them before they reach the dam. A U-shaped formation of cannons and other fire support should provide the maximum amount of gunfire at the same time and force the Vorus Thresh to run the gauntlet. Subsequently, with the flooded valley, we can concentrate our infantry in the back, far behind the dam so that if the dam is destroyed, then we have a wall of infantry, ready to engage the enemy and allow our fire support on the cliffs to continue to blast and shoot at the Vorus Thresh.

Step 3: Contingency

Although we hope to never have to come to this, it is always prudent to plan for a worse case scenario. Assuming defeat at the Seven Passes, we MUST assume a scorched earth tactic and deny the Orcs any potential supplies and forage. A siege is a miserable time where supplies and food are limited for both sides. While, Bastion will likely be able to keep its harbor open and keep trade lines open, the Orcs do not have such privilege. A pitched battle on the open field will be playing to the Vorus Thresh's advantage as they are near unstoppable on the plains especially with their numbers. Thus, ambushes, guerrilla attacks, and asymmetrical warfare must be used to stall the enemy and cause further attrition. We must prepare defenses and store food and supplies for a potentially long siege... and perhaps allow us enough time to kill the Lich. With the death of the Lich, time will be on our side if a siege were to occur.

A letter from Leon Gervano sent by carrier pigeon to Leo Alder
Crocodile Crocodile

For Magister Alder,

Between yourself and the Muurdaan dog known as Touryan, I am torn between who deserves my scorn more.

He along with his pet Lydia sent to my city priests who preached of him as a god. I saw to it they and their tainted goods returned to Bastion or rested on the bottom of our bay. I had hoped you would take this as a hint and a sign that your corrupted ways and evils are not welcome here. Yet you persist.

My people left Bastion because we cared about the people there still even though they had clearly forgotten about us. Forced between oppression, violence, or exodus we chose the latter to spare you and ourselves. Yet you have seemingly forgotten this. What we left behind is not enough for you and your Muurdain appetite seeks more land to hold.

Bastion was Bastion, now it is Muurdaan and there is only you to thank for this. You have betrayed the morals that you seemingly upheld while I fought as a brother by your side. You were a man of law, regardless of what law that was. Now you are a man of greed and treachery.

I was once proud to declare you my countryman. I was willing to die at your side. I believed you wished to preserve the morality of Bastion but every word I hear of it depicts it as nothing more than a lapdog who has abandoned everything that made it a city I was once proud to call home.

Your assassins confessed after being thwarted. They claimed to be from Hegemon, no doubt some corrupt and villainous name that holds meaning in Muurdaan, and claimed to serve a king. I expected you to hold the seat of a figure of authority but to declare yourself a king is proof of how far you have fallen from what you once were.

The Alder I knew was a man of law, reason, and patriotism. Now you are a man of greed, evil, and corruption. What happened to you?
Did the torment they inflicted on you corrupt your heart and soul? Did they force your hand to perform these deeds and to pursue the good people who left you to do as you wished with Bastion or are you doing this because you wish to spread the suffering they had thrust upon you?

I don't want you to write back. I don't want you to come to Brummelmarc. I want you and the rest of Muurdaan to stay away and remain where you are.

I pray you have a miracle presented before you. That your god, the lady of death, present herself to you and inform you that the suffering your people shall bring to this world is unprecedented and that you have strayed from your path of a good man.

Lord of the Brummels, Warhoon, and formerly a brother in arms,
Lesser Lord Gervano.

Last edited:
Emergency Dispatch teleported to Underlord Touryan

My Lord,

I request permission to immediately march upon the Touryan embassy to slay the beast. I also ask you compell your nephew to cooperate and grant us accessibility considering what foolish magics he has worked upon it. More so it be done with the Touryan legions present considering the party responsible for this.

With Respect,

Leo Alder
Underlord of House Alder
Lord Magister of Bastion

Magical Letter to the Underlord Touryan

Dear Underlord Touryan,

I am sure you are being bombarded with many letters. However, I write to you to request something urgent and crucial. The Dragon, hereby known as Hyperion, should be granted an Underlordship. I say this as the current situation in the Empire is... dismal. The power of House Hegemon is barely tested and contained. Yet, here, we see an opportunity to reshape the political landscape of the Empire. One where Hyperion is able to assist us and win many of the wars to come. It is a young dragon. Young, ambitious, and lacking in wisdom. If we can guide it's growth, then I believe that the Empire will grow stronger for it as it will prosper from Hyperion's power and knowledge. As it grows older, the Empire will have to learn how to keep its powers in check, yet the Empire has always grown and prospered in the face of challenge and fear. We have started to lose our fear as the Empire has grown lately, but that fear is what has driven man to reach further and further into lands and powers it could never have conceived of in its caves. This is the Age of Man. Not even a dragon should be able to make us tremble if it is our divine right to claim this world.

I know that what I ask is very... unorthodox, but orthodoxy is never what allowed the Empire to be born and prosper.

Eternally Loyal and awaiting your response with bated breath,
Imperator Pasha Bakur Touryan

Last edited:
To Underlord Touryan,

Apologies that this message did not reach you sooner -- recent events have spun the Muurdain council into chaos.

Your Uncle would address this issue directly were he not in deep discussions and maneuvers with the other Capital houses. Despite not being excited about the apparent outcome of your recent experiments, The Underlord remains diplomatic and has pressed hard for your actions not to have immediate and final consequences.

Put simply, The Underlord however does not share your vision. Establishing a dragon an Underlordship is not the right decision to bring power to the Eternal Empire of man. In fact, it threatens to put us at the foot of an alien ruler for all time. The risks are too high -- even though your reasons are noble. House Hegemon must be stopped in it's meteoric rise, just as peace must be maintained between Touryan and Xyphon. You seek to change the game... but you cannot like this. Soon the being will be beyond anyone's control, outside the scope of anyone to guide. This thing is not some super weapon or magic missile to solve the problems of the empire. It is a pretender god, and a potential supplant of the natural order.

It falls upon you to make this right, or at least to buy sufficient time that those in the Capital can adapt to the situation and gain leverage over it.

Discussions have taken place with House Xyphon and it is agreed the best place for your Wyrmling for the present time is in the Daziarn eternity-jail controlled by the high priests and high priestesses of the Empire, after which the Daziarn will be eternally closed, geased, and wished shut.

Should a time come when this matter could once again be revisited in a different lens, one that surely supports the Empire, we will revisit what you have done.

For now, Isolate the element in the manner described, and if you wish to bring power to House Touryan and the Empire -- adhere within the boundaries of your established goals.

Grow the Empire.

Bring Creatures like the Bandar Log, NOT would be terrible godlings, into the fold and service of the empire.

Take a City to rule in your own right. You are certainly wearing out welcome in the Embassies of House Alder, even such as we've created it.

Be grateful your Uncle has not chosen to respond himself.

Sub-Regent Menelecnir, Servant-Prostrate to the Underlord Touryan Eternal.

Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon Crocodile Crocodile Crumbli Crumbli Northless Northless

Response to House Touryan

Nūllum magnum ingenium sine mixtūrā dēmentiae fuit.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Semper Fidelis,
Imperator Touryan

Magical, Secret, Encrypted Letter to Underlord Touryan

The Iron Pact has been broken. Consider rallying all who will continue the Vigil, even those that lay with the bugs. Even bugs have a place in maintaining the circle of life. Perhaps, sharing the shard of ember and the knowledge of fire will bring equilibrium once more. May balance be restored soon and the Empire continue to prosper.

Eternally Loyal,
Pasha Bakur Touryan

To Pasha Bakur Touryan,

The shard of Ember and the knowledge of Fire are House Touryan's alone, thanks to you -- and so it shall remain.

There is plenty to trade in the bazaar without resorting to ask the cockroaches.

The Iron pact was never Iron, but we must continue to act as such.

Balance shall be maintained.

Underlord Touryan

An encoded letter from Daughter Isis Al-aziri to Underlord Xyphon

To our dearest and most honourable Underlord Xyphon,

I write to inform you of our most recent findings here in Bastion as well as events that have transpired within my sphere of influence.

I understand the recent events of Bastion have caused us a great deal of suffering. This union with Touryan has been expensive and, though not in my station to comment on your decisions, I believe it has proven too expensive for what it's worth. However I digress.

I pray you found my offering most acceptable. The gift is half of a Bastien deposit of the material known as ArthHydroCalcite, though I suspect you already knew at a glance. While it would likely help us immeasurably here I suspect it is better in the hands of yourself and those agents who are well versed in geomancy. While I cannot say where it should be invested some ideas that come to mind are expansions on the castle or perhaps to further develop mining operations that already yield to the causes of Xyphon.

Recently there have been successes plenty and we, your agents, shall continue to champion what we believe are your interests. The Bandar Logs are one example of many. With expenses from my own pocket and a few sugar coated words I convinced them that house Xyphon had their best interests at heart. Touryan was also present at the Bandar Logs, specifically General Pasha Bakur Touryan. He blundered about with his words and, despite all better judgement, I interrupted his efforts before the natives could tear him to pieces.
In hindsight, perhaps it was a foolish move. I doubt any good will come of my actions.

Underlord Alder has eased restrictions against the faith also which has come as a welcome change. Perhaps he trusts me or understands that by restricting my presence he emboldens the presence of others who seek to play in the game of politics. Regardless of whatever his motives, it is a welcome decision and one I will use but refrain from abusing unless you otherwise will me to. I suspect my recent actions have already caused him to hold reservations about his decisions but he and I shall continue to operate as orderly as possible. Even if he remains unaware of this fact.

The Lich under Bastion has also been slain and with it two new pools of mana were released into the custody of the temples. These pools, rich in magic, shall be used to empower the holy circles within Bastion and allow us to strive forward into a more powerful clergy. With the establishment of the 'garden of acceptance' many monks will be trained here and likely have their interests conveniently align with those of your house.

I would also request that you send to me some of your most proficient and loyal astral mages, along with members of the purer magics in the holy circles. I have come across something that must remain absolutely private. We will speak of it in person if you summon but for now it shall only be referred to in passing.

Your loyal servant,
Daughter Isis Al-aziri.

Over the city of Bastion, a dry wind blows with nature's cruelty... headed ominously for one of the city's greatest structures...

A dry wind passed over the eternal cathedral -- an unseasonal wind that didn't stop, and howled and clawed at the face with dried leaves and other debris...

The wind peaked and peaked, rolling like a whorl through and over the eternal cathedral, sucking the vapor from the air, dessicating it leaving all who walked the halls and gardens to avert their gaze from the wind and feel the dry scratch of the drying wind on their very skin.

Every Planter saw it's fruits and vines and stems and roots retreat... The great tiered garden on the roof of the eternal cathedral turned brown in an hour, grey in three, and blew away as ash the rest of the day. The meditation gardens below the Eternal cathedral withered even faster and died, the monks sitting in a seeming wasteland where once had been the beauty of nature manifest.

Nothing in or around the Eternal cathedral grew, or could grow, no matter the magic applied in force and volume... the Eternal cathedral turned from a great garden into a rocky tomb over an evening -- all that was left was the howling wind, and spinning wisps of sand that were once fertile soils. Black leaves gathered in corners and seeds fell from all that grew as raisins, devoid of life.

What was once a paradise only hours before became a windy dustbowl -- with plantless earth rolling along the ground in the unceasing currents...

Even the fountains could not keep the arboretums and gardens from turning their color and being stripped of life.

Even Isis Al-aziri's prized tea collections crumbled and turned to ash. Ivies fell like walls of rope and twisted and shrunk away as if dancing with an unseen fire.

The Eternal Cathedral was Blighted, Cursed with Infertility.

The blighting wind that blew from the Deepwoods never ceased all that day, until finally coming to rest on a structure devoid of all plant life, the water even tasted unaerated and stale.

The public steered clear of the structure, sticking to the other cathedrals and the street of the gods, not wishing to be a part or subject of the apparent curse upon Bastions most religious building.

Some whispered Isis had lost the mandate of the gods, others chattered in fear of the deepwoods.

Death had come to the Eternal Cathedral, and in it's infinite beauty and pride, it had now been brought low...

From the comparative fertility and growth of the garden district, the eternal cathedral looked like a gravestone that cast a shadow over the city, where once it stood as a pillar of verdance to rival all of the gardens center-city...

The deepwoods had sent a message.

Crumbli Crumbli

Last edited:
Dear Daughter Isis Al-aziri,

Your letter is well received, although lately there has been fear for your safety and the outcomes of some of your endeavors in Bastion. Please stay safe and continue your most holy and important works.

The strain with house Touryan is starting to show and outright conflict may be inevitable on more than your own front. I had high hopes for an increased peace with Touryan enabling us to even further closen our ties with Hegemon unfettered. But Touryan is considering this alone to be saber-rattling, like so much else. I hold out hope that things shall not become violent. It is important that we remain subtle, able, and prepared for anything.

The ArthHydroCalcite is absolutely priceless when it comes to geomancy, terraforming, and the construction of expansions and enhancements on our flying castles. You have outdone yourself here and hope we can look forward to more such laudable tributes.

Continue your relations with the Bandar Logs and turn their senseless aggression and token-taking into a tool for the empire's expansion. It is a thin razor to walk with creatures so foreign in place, name and countenance, but we know you have outdone yourself. Apply them liberally to our enemies as soon as possible, and possibly convince them to join the Naval campaign in the far east. It would be quite a trip for them, but the rewards for the Eternal Empire and the plunder for the bandar should be more than worth the logistics.

See to it that Brummelmarc and Lastwall join the empire in short order, by wit or point of sword
. We must expand to the waters and the borders of the bander log in the west and northwest to cover even more territory, secure our borders, and capture more trade.

Congratulations on the destruction of the Lich -- we expected no less of a party in your service, whether they know it or not. Use the mana to empower your cathedral and by extension of that, house Xyphon. Bastion has been saved and you are to be thanked. When your journeys end and you return to the Capital, all manner of pleasures and prizes will be put at your feet as deserved.

We will shortly be sending you expert Astral Mages with loyalty above reproach, and some Cardinals and Arch-priests to bolster your grasp of holy magics in the city. I can only guess at what your secret project entails, but we will support it known or unknown to the fullest extent. Your help will arrive directly via portal soon after this missive.

To you glory for your House and Empire,

Underlord Xyphon, Father most pleased.

Crumbli Crumbli

A Dispatch to Underlord Xyphon

Underlord Xyphon,

I bid you greetings and good fortunes. Sadly I write to you in a manner I did not wish to for I would have preferred it to be on a more positive subject. Your agent in my city, Isis Al-Aziri, proved her initial worth in various scenarios great and small. She had been a boon to my city and myself, more so in aiding in the wedding that has transpired.

Unfortunately, She has perhaps gone too far in matters. I am a Client of the Touryan and I would not condone the assassination of any House agent in my lands lest they were actively working against me such as the Narviks. More so though, she has targeted Pasha Bakur Touryan with a Qlippoth and the Fallen Angel Tradactus. I felt the battle take place outside my city. More so I know the Qlippoth is hers and she knows the Fallen Angel, having banished it before. There are other matters of proof and Pasha Touryan has elected to finally press his case on the matter with what information he has gathered.

You could perhaps understand my great concern in these matter when I had hoped to bring Touryan and Xyphon closer with my wedding. Only for the chief agent of your will in my city to attempt to take the life of Underlord Touryan's own voice here. While I have little love for Pasha Touryan, his death would shatter important arrangements I was to set in motion for the Empire and its expansion in this region.

I thus write this missive to offer your great House the opportunity to save face on the matter. Or to leave me to deal with it as I must as Underlord of House Alder. I cannot have my Minister of Faith and High Priestess so go against my will. That was a show of trust, bestowing those upon her and thus showing favor upon one I know values her service to you more than me. As a teacher this is a betrayal for she has used arts I taught her to endanger my arrangements as well. I trusted her as a confidant. I have kept secrets for her. She returned this trust with betrayal.

I shall await your response but know I will have things prepared to be set in motion. I do not wish to tarnish our relationship. Yet I must not look weak either and cannot condone keeping her in my confidence any longer. I advise you to dispatch a new candidate for the positions she held, as a show that our own relationship might stay strong.

With Respect,

Leo Alder
Underlord of House Alder
Lord Magister of Bastion.

Last edited:
Lord Magister Alder,

Send Isis Al-aziri back to the Capital and she shall answer for her failures here.

I know you value the arrangements and proximity of our houses and for this I am sure Isis will return the capital unharmed.

New Agent(s) will be sent to Bastion to take over her duties.

With Honor,

Underlord Xyphon

Crumbli Crumbli

Dear Isis Al-aziri,

Your safety can no longer be guaranteed in Bastion. The ultimate discretion is left up to you -- but we would much rather have you here (or operating clandestinely) Than for you to face some form of judgement in that City.

We trust you will continue to protect yourself just as you protect the interests of House Xyphon. Your Astral and Clerical Resources should have just arrived. Leverage them if you need.

Warmly,

Underlord Xyphon

The Past - Bastion Outer District South East

The boy sat in the basement, hugging his knees to his chest as he regarded the book sitting on the crate across from him. It seem to have a slight glow to it and he wasn't sure why. He heard wizards put strange enchantments on books sometimes, obviously this one hadn't had the sort stories talked about. The sort that could strip you down to bone and dust....

Yet the book just glowed. It had scared him as first and he was still processing that he wasn't dead. Yet the book was his meal ticket. It was a magic book. A spell book. There were folks who'd pay for it, he'd heard so. The Guild wasn't in the best of shape, but then again there were still the Fences who kept what business there was going. He just had to get to Duval and show him. That book might feed him for months, maybe a year even if Duval was good to him. If he wasn't, he'd have to find someone else.

Still, why make it glow? What was the point aside form showing off? Was it to not need a candle? Unable to help himself, the boy moved closer to the book and opened with a frown, expecting a bunch of nonsense words like the street performers acting like magicians would spout. It was common. That was it. He started to read out of curiosity, glad his parents had taught his letters before passing and his numbers. The formulas were weird but some of what was said made sense. The rest of it still seemed like gibberish even if it was in a curiously methodical approach. It was fascinating, something he'd never scene or heard of before. Astral lines and planetary movements. Forces in motion that affected the flow of unseen powers.

He almost didn't want to sell it now... It was like a treasure. Information like this that was only his right now. He wished he knew how to focus like the book talked about, to be able to really reach out and touch that power. To have something that was his in this now rather miserable life. He missed his parents, cursing the pox and the nobles for the quarantine. They hadn't even bothered to send healers. They had just sealed the section off and let everyone die, shooting anyone who had tried to leave full of arrows or bolts. He'd barely survived it himself... only because his parents elected to die for him... They gave him all the good food... all the good water... and then traded away everything for any herbs or unguents that would help keep him alive as the pox ravaged him. They'd succeeded... and died for it. He still went to the potter's field they were buried in every week... if only to be near them. Watching other dead being buried in graves either single or mass.

Everyone he knew or cared about had died. All of them in this field or ashes from the mass burnings. The entire district was put to the torch after to 'cleanse the disease' as the nobles put it. New housing was being built, rent was higher and some fancy fop owned it all now. Typical court nonsense. He'd been amazed the city guard had shown up but apparently disease was enough to bring them out there. He wondered what...

"What's this then?" Said a man in pale blue robes with silver rings on his fingers.

The boy stumbled back, his line of thinking interrupted. The man had just appeared out of nowhere, looking more surprised than angry as he looks a the boy and then his book. He frowns and leans over it, inspecting it as he pulls out a set of silver spectacles on a chain.

"Haven't damaged my book now, have you boy?" He looks over at the boy a little menacingly.

The boy shook his head fervently. Paling a little as he'd heard what the wizards of the college did from time to time to people caught stealing from them.

"No sir... I.... I was just bored.... was reading it," stuttered the boy, clearly feeling like this was his own end.

"Reading it? Pffft, since when do street rats read?" The wizard huffs as he closes the book with a gesture and picks it up under one arm. "Now what to do with you? To the constable with you or perhaps.... I do need a new test subject..."

"If you're going to do either... can I ask something?" The boy looked down forlornly, knowing he probably wouldn't survive a trip to the dungeons or being experimented on.

"If its within reason and not a waste of my time," said the wizard with another glower. "Book thieves aren't appreciated in wizard society."

"Does... all that Astral Theory stuff in there really work? The alignments and focusing?" The boy looked up at him now, figuring he could as least die with the answer. Maybe he'd work the equations in his head in the dungeon to not get bored...

"Well certainly, you see.... wait, you actually did read it?" The wizard looks surprised and then amused. "Hmph, knowledge is a valuable thing. You stole a bit but I"ll forgive you this time. So you like what you read? Would you want to study it more if you weren't a book thief?"

"Well.. yes.." The boy looks down and away again, knowing that tone.

"You intrigue me. I believe I shall try something else with you. If you disappoint me, then I shall experiment upon you." The wizard notes as he slips his spectacles aback into their pocket. "Does that sound like a better deal to you?"

"I... I suppose." The boy looks back, wondering if he was going to be some sort of servant.

"Excellent, you're going to prove a theory of mine I've been trying to make to the Grand Council for a while. I am Gino Vasser, Master of the Astral College. And you are now a student of the College of Bastion. Do you have a name?" Inquired the wizard as he pulled out chalk to draw a door on the wall, which opened into a study filled with books, globes and astrological instruments.

"Leo Alder..." said the boy before stepping through with the wizard. The door snapping shut behind them, the chalk marks poofing into dust to join the rest on the floor.

Crocodile Crocodile :

Dear Lord Magister,

It is a pleasure of mine to report that a great opportunity presents itself to both our houses. House Navik is sending the second Heir of this house to help grow and expand the dual economies of Bastion and by extension of this, the cities in the west.

We know you do not think highly of house Narvik in light of recent events. We wished only to weaken the foundations of Bastion sufficiently so that one such as you could be put SECURELY in power. It seems you did not need ALL the help house Narvik has provided, but you have benefited all the same and that which you did not need, you ably prevented. This was by design.

Let us come to a truce. We forget the Narvik blood shed in Bastion, and We both share in the unrealized profits that exist in your city and the settlements beyond.

It has been said that Narvik agents are to be killed on sight in Bastion, which is why I send my Second Son Sam as a broker of our peace. It is known you are a magnanimous ruler, and a wise one. Narvik needn't explain how bad it would be for somebody so close to a Capital Throne to find one's head on the end of a pike. While you are by no means put upon to guarantee Sam's safety, I am sure you know the value of your hospitality when houses such as Hegemon and Xyphon have been exiled, as well as how dear my second son is to me.

House Alder needs friends. Friends like Keshurgen, and friends like Narvik. Welcome Sam to work his talents in your territories and let us stick our knives where they actually belong -- in the bellies of your enemies. We can keep Xyphon and even Hegemon's wrath from reaching your doorstep - for without us it is certainly coming. Let us handle your troubles in the Capital, while you let house Narvik share in the wealth we will inevitably create together. Bastion is a wealthy city, but it needs more than capital to thrive as a burgeoning arm of the empire... it needs PROFIT. That is what House Narvik, and Sam, have come to offer. It is what Sam and house Narvik have come to share.

I look forward to hearing very positive things about our partnership when Sam has the chance to write, and of the hospitality of the Empire's newest Client house.

Now at your Pleasure,

Underlord Narvik, Capital house exalted.

Crocodile Crocodile

Letter sent in a box lined with human skin and bound with chains -- from the throne room of Underlord Touryan.

This missive is received in a chest reserved for threats of annihilation and to respond to acts of betrayal.

"Loyal Underlord Alder,

I shall start with itemizing the reasons I still have to be proud of the decision of placing you in power, Just so you know nothing has been overlooked when we take into consideration the precarious position we both find ourselves in. It is important to document these as well as your trespasses, so that current and future generations can understand without confusion why some cities wind up a smoking heap for their sins against the empire and some continue their histories to hopefully a point where their transgressions are a footnote in their lauded history. I have personally taken out the time to write because I wish there to be no confusion between as or any onlooker why you yet live... and why I still have hopes for The client house of Alder into history forward:

Lord Alder is has not gone unnoticed that you have expanded the empire, and your city is indeed the primary pin and key to our expansions in the west on a timeframe and with city states we did not foresee absorbing without tremendous destruction and bloodshed. Brummelmarc, Lastwall, Worldwound, and Bandar Log -- for all their jewels and flaws are new shining stars in the ever expanding firmament of the empire. Despite your transgressions and defiant sympathies we feel in the long run the empire will settle into a world order the capital can approve of, so still celebrate these conquests and annexations, both violent and bloodless respective to them. We also see your securing of the canyons of 7 gates a massive engineering and defensive achievement, which will allow greater expansion into the mountains and hopefully new sources of revenue and resources for the capital. This too, cannot be ignored even in the face of your impudence.

Secondly, Your personal gift, which shall not be delineated or described here, is well received by my court and will be used to the benefit of myself and my longest serving agents. It is one thing to fail as tremendously as you have on one hand, it is another thing to take these failures and bring forth from it gifts and tribute that can truly be appreciated by house Touryan.

Thirdly, Your involvement with the Bandar Log Auxillary involvement and indeed the sending of reinforcement puppet legions to the hinterlands of the far east campaign has had considerable strategic significance, and saved us from losses and headaches that would likely have cost years in the already anticipated long campaign. These contributions and how they have turned tides may largely be the synchronicity of fortune and fool's luck... but we cannot argue with results or strategic assets still held and fighting when previously we had none to look to,or losses anticipated on account of not having them.

Fourthly, Your peace with the dangerous deepwoods, while largely believed in one hand to be the weakness of your sympathies, can not be argued with how successful your peace and encapsulation of them can be said to have come to pass. That which cannot or is not destroyed will be cordoned and controlled. You have delivered on this promise and exceeded expectations. That is the last I shall mention of that, for indeed it was the Capitals plans to burn the deepwoods to the ground and so it still exists as a potential resource and source of power.

Fifthly, You have wrung in the Narvik and brought them to playing a nicer game in their occupation and expansion in the west, You have bloodied the nose of house Xyphon for their own Treachery, and have undercut hegemon during a time when they are on a runaway avalanche of power that threatens to eclipse other houses. You have changed the trajectories in the capital in a way that is favorable to Touryan in ways that you will not understand, but it does not mean that your efforts, causes and effects do not ingratiate the idea of your continued existence.

Lastly, your diplomatic confrontation with Matchka and the sinking of their aggression fleet is seen as a sign of what is to come from an Alder-lead bastion as relations continue to decline and full scale war becomes inevitable. You will be expected to deliver on your present successes in this area a score fold, and I am sure you recognize the importance of your meeting those expectations not only for the continuation of free trade along the coast but for the security of your own House in Bastion, and even Bastion's existence as a city, should our hands be forced.

All of this, which brings us to what you must do:

You are expected to Continue beneficial relations with bandar log and keep them occupied fighting in our wars near and abroad. This will weaken their state domestically at the same time giving the Imperial armies a force multiplier on the frontiers. You will likewise if possible leverage new holdings such as lastwall to become catspaws for Imperial interests as well, be it in those city-states best interests seemingly or not.

You are expected to spearhead the reclaimation of the Huitsi Archepelagos stopping the sea blockades of inter-city trade by the empire of Matchka, and if possible proceed with forces beyond to Matchka itself with the rest of the empire when the time comes. You WILL turn the tide of this war singlehandedly and it is the expectation that you can do this that is a major reason Touryan and other houses have not sought to make a different kind of example of you rather than what we have, The example that Capital Magnaminity in the face of apparent understanding can still exceed in rewards the slights of defiance, in at least this case.

Lastly -- you will conquer and/or Annex BOTH river-maw and Swansea, and you WILL declare edicts of purity in both of those cities. Making the empire in the west less appearing to be your private menagerie as it presently is and turning it back into what the empire shares as it's vision for the world and future time. We care not if you kill the otherness or move it to your own city and adjacent states for your own fancies of "diversity" and "freedom" -- but the Swansea shall be human dominated... and you will be the one to make it so, and declare the orders that keep it so forever.

Hail house Alder even in this it's time of sanction, if it were not believed all the above were not true or comiing to pass, something very different would have been found contained in this chest.

With an Iron fist held confidently in the hand of house Alder,

Underlord Touryan Supreme of Capital houses, to the client state, house, and potentate of Bastion.

The Red Gospel: (found circulating in the outer district, source unknown)

Chapter One

Know that you matter. Know that you are wanted. Know that you are valued. You hold wealth this is yours alone. This wealth flows through you, granting you life and opportunity. Your wealth is your blood, the great treasure that flows through all living things.

It is others whose deny you and your value. Or they seek to take it from you. To spill your blood and claim mastery over it. The Crimson Lord sees you. The Crimson Lord values you. He knows your true worth. He flows through your veins as well.

He does not seek to take it from you. What the Crimson Lord seeks is to uplift you. To show you opportunity that might be seized upon by you. To empower you with hidden glory that the powerful seek to deny you.

His hand is open to you, happy to pull you up to stand proud in your own value. All he asks in return is you stand by him. To join his Crimson Host so that we might uplift others together. So that we might spread the glory and empower more to the truth of their value.

Do not be fooled by godlings who say they value you. What they value is your faith. Your firm, unswerving belief in them. They swell like storm clouds with the power you give them until you are too small for them to see or care about. The Crimson Lord only asks you stand by him. To give yourself to the cause. If you choose to believe in him? So be it. But he will still see you. He will still feel you, for he is within you. He flows through your veins. He will not demand your conversion or torture you for it like some violent fanatic.

Praise be unto the Crimson Lord, for his Red Gospel is for YOU.

To the Underlord Touryan,

I write to you this letter in addition to the recent reports that you have recently obtained. I wish to congratulate your Underlordship with the recent land and trade concessions obtained despite the treachery of those who we consider 'friends'. May the bloodgelt bring House Touryan to ever greater heights and show all that perfidious actions will only bring forth misery upon those who conduct themselves in a traitorous manner. In addition, the Orcish threat has been sufficiently dealt with and the Vorus Thresh now march under your banner after a bit of disciplinary action and the Vorus Thresh were bloodied. Unfortunately, I also bring word of the deaths of the mages you had sent in service of me during the battle and am in the need of additional mages. However, bringing an end to the Vorus Thresh has removed an old threat to Empire lands. Our more remote settlements are safer than ever.

---

*Flashback to Pasha's first year as a squire and his first battle*

"Ride swiftly, slay them, burn their wagons and carts, then ride away within five minutes. Else, reinforcements will show up." Prince Valois whispered and warned a young Pasha and the nearby riders. The Knights stood on the outskirts of the woods, and watched the silhouette of a burning Attolian farming village in the distance and the scurrying of an Orcish raiding party, carrying their ill gotten goods and supplies. The main Orcish Horde was on the march and relied on these "logistics companies" to feed the Horde. It had only been two days since they had appeared, but many villages were ransacked in this rural area of the Kingdom. It was only by the graces of the divines that the Prince and his entourage was traveling near the region. This small band of 100 Knights and Squires were put to the task by the Prince to help starve off the Horde and buy more time for the Royal Army to rally and march to meet the Orcish Horde. A young 13 year old Pasha would soon see his first battle.

Prince Valois lifted his lance and the horses began to trot forward. A silent din of horseshoes began to gently fill the air as the dark visages of Orcish raiders became slowly larger and larger. Lances started to lower as the horses started to break into a full run. The Orcs started to panic as the wave of Armored Horsemen charged into their disorganized blob as war cries filled the air. Pasha's lance struck true and shattered upon impact with an orc. The orc's fate? Pasha wasn't sure as he kept his eyes forward to the supply wagons. He continued to ride forward to a wagon as he pulled out a flint and striker. With a few swift scrapes, the sparks of fire began to turn into embers and burn the tarp that covered the wagon. Pasha continued to ride on, knowing that the wagon would be set ablaze soon. The memory of cold iron, blood, and flames were all blurred as Pasha acted on instinct and adrenaline. It was a firm grasp that pulled him away from the fighting and the flames that brought him back to reality. The horsemen rode away into the dark.

They rallied at a predestined place. At first, only a score had left. But as time went on, more horsemen trickled back. After fifteen minutes, Prince Valois gave word to move on. When one more Knight had returned. Following the Knight were 5 prisoners that the Orcs held. These Attolians were all severely maimed in one way or another. One man was missing his right arm and the wounds were crudely cauterized. Another was missing an ear and his nose. Prince Valois cursed while Pasha stared in horror and felt his stomach churn. The freed prisoners were put on horses and the men moved on to the closest village. On the way Pasha rode up to his mentor and asked "Do Orcs truly enjoy harming others to this extent? Is this the savagery of Orcish tribes?" The Prince solemnly replied "Yes, but there is reason to their madness as well. These men were not prisoners. They were cattle. Even Orcs prefer fresh meat than rotting meat. They extract limbs and barely keep you alive for as long as possible. Then when you finally die... they carve you up and do gods know what to cook the flesh. Cruel, savage... but morbidly practical. Even the Orcs know that War is no joking matter. While they certainly may delight in torturing others, Orcs are not irrational."

Pasha remained silent as the Knights silently traveled through the rural Attolian lands.

The Prince asked "Do you hate Orcs? Young Touryan?"

Pasha replied "I have no love for someone who could commit such atrocities."

"But do you HATE them, Squire? Answer the question."

"..."

"Let this be the one lesson you remember. Never hate your enemies. It clouds your judgement. If you do learn, then perhaps House Touryan has a chance to change and learn after all."

"Yes, your highness."

---

As you desired and requested, I have avenged the Empire, and the Kingdom and spilled the blood of the Vorus Thresh. Bless the Gods for making Orcs rational beings as the Vorus Thresh have agreed to serve the Empire now. May they atone for their past transgressions through service to the Empire. In addition, I have continued as you requested to contest the Xyphon's self-proclaimed monopoly over the soul of the Empire. Finally, Brummelmarc and WorldWound have become a part of the Imperial demesne as requested. As always, this letter is a supplement to your reports and other sources of information, and entrust that the relevant knowledge and information reach your ears.

Imperator Touryan

Last edited:
The rain pelts against the windows of the shop, not loud enough to bother, but noisy enough to drum against one's thoughts. It's late at night, and inside Hips and Hops', a woman writes a letter at candlelight. She's been trying to do for the good part of an hour, when a young girl finds her and her self made discarded papers altar.

The light flickers. "Mom?"

Celestina is grateful once again that her glasses would help cover her face. It wasn't a good night. "Lydia, dear. Why are you still awake? It's late." The fourteen year old rubs her eyes, looking at the mess. "What are you doing?"

The mother slips into a practiced smile, quoting the only sentences that remained a constant in her drafts. "Remember that travelling caravan settled besides the river? The silk vendors? I've made a few friends there, and they asked me if I wanted to visit Last-" She's cut off mid sentence. "You'll leave?"

They had talked about it before but... the quickness of the question gave her goosebumps. "Lydia, love, I-" The girl widens her eyes and tries to talk as much sense as she can muster, as fast as she can. "Don't! Don't leave. We don't need a dad, I can be our new dad, I'll learn to do dad things! I will take care of Tam, I'll protect you two like when the thieves came, and work full days, and not complain, and talk to everyone, and make breakfast and dinner every day, and teach her many things, and make sure she's ok, I'll make sure those kids don't ever bother her again, and..."

"No, Lydia. This is different. You know I have to do this, after what your father did, I..." Celestina frowns, takes a deep breath and rests her head on her palm, her glasses slightly being pushed forwards. When she looks back at her daughter she looks even younger than before, and it sends a sting through the woman's chest. "They stare at me. Smile and wave like nothing's wrong, but as soon as I turn back, they begin talking again. If you could hear the gossip... I can't take more of this city. It was his' first. It'll always be. Everything here reminds me of it. I'll go visit your grandparents, and come back in a month. I know you can take care of everything, like you always do when I'm here. Don't you think so as well?"

Lydia doesn't know what she should say. Travelling merchants had to leave. Tourists and passerbys to the city had to leave. Not mom. Even if what she said made sense. She just couldn't. "I don't want you to leave. Why does everyone...?"

Celestina was already dreading how cold her words would sound. "Lydia, answer me. I need to make sure you'll take care of her, for me, alright?" The stare was firm. Lydia felt like she was running out of time, and choose the seemingly most important question in her head then. "What if I need you?"

Her mom does the closest thing she can to a snicker, and puts her hands on her hips, now fully turning on her seat to face her. "Don't tell me you think you're alone? Don't we have our friends? Haven't they always been there when we needed them? If you can't, they'll be there. If they can't, you'll be. Even if someday they leave...
"You can be a dad, and a mom, and a merchant, and whatever you need to be. For you, for them, and for Tam. And if you can't... if for any reason you can't be those anymore, you can come with me. But there's no way I'm convincing you to leave now, is it?"

Lydia slowly breathes in, thinks the question over, and shakes her head. She realises she must look sad, so she smiles back at her. "...Tam wouldn't want to leave. I have to stay."

Celestina smiles, and feels incredibly tired. "That's my little woman. I love you. I'll be back soon. Promise."

It took four months. Lydia remembers that day down to the letter the moment she's told "You can't choose to run away." She looks between the small kid in her arms and her sister, both sleeping, and wonders if she would even have the courage to do so now... Or if she should have.

The sky gets darker, and the rain picks up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back