• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

CITY OF BASTION (Beckoncall's RP!) Main story thread...

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
russetrues russetrues , Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon Beckspace Beckspace Northless Northless Szulu Szulu AyeXian AyeXian Crocodile Crocodile

The story so far:

Unrest brews in the outer districts as petty gangs vie for blood and territory off one another, the clashing even leading to infringement on businesses of the garden district and nobles of the spires.

New faces rise in the shadow of the underworld, and new diplomatic winds begin to blow in the city, and covetous eyes turn to the unexplored wilderness and ruins of the old city as well. Champions will rise -- will you rise among them?

This thread is for anything in the game that doesn't necessarily belong in the discord, or deserves to be more enduring. I also intend to use this thread for overviews and more sophisticated elements of the roleplay.

A written private letter from Pasha Bakur Touryan to Underlord Touryan.

"Hail Underlord Touryan,

I hope all is good with the recent issues such as the War and the Attolian matter. While I understand that you are rather busy with many resources tied up, I write to you with purpose. As you know, I have recently arrived at the City of Bastion to fufill my duties as a member of House Touryan. However, I must report that the city is unruly with the King largely ruling in name only. Many streets and neighborhoods simply are under the control of various warring gangs and criminal organizations. The guard cower in fear inside their watchtowers at the idea of gang wars. In fact, the recent shipment of funds to establish an embassy here along with sensitive documents along with the rest of the cargo were stolen in broad daylight from the ship!

What did the guard do? Nothing. They sat in their defensive posts and waited for the ensuring turf war that the theft incited. This led me to personally leading a rabble of victims to catch the thieves... who were then thoroughly dealt with to protect any potential confidential information that they may have read. During the pursuit I was even stopped by some reprehensible Ratkin criminals who attempted to extort me. I have reported and voiced my outrage to the King, seeking to have the guards removed from their positions and punished for their cowardice. Further, I even took the head of the leader of the thieves and placed it on top of a spike to present it to the cowardly guards so that they could place it on top of the gate house for all to see that crime will not be tolerated, give the people a sense of security through effective policing, and drive fear in criminals to deter them.

It is in this lack of proper policing and security that I believe we can take mutually beneficial action. I am sure the King would be pleased if we sent military advisors and soldiers to help train and supplement his garrison to combat the criminal elements that practically rule the streets. Such actions would likely also grant us favor and influence within the Bastion so that our relations will become more intimate. This situation, while unfortunate, is an opportunity for us to help the people of the Bastion and gain favor in the city.

For now, the Muurdaan embassy has offered to provide me a small personal retinue, but it does little to alliviate the issues that plague the Bastion. I hope that you will consider my suggestion to send soldiers and officers to support the Bastion guards. Law and order must be established or else I fear that the gang violence might even affect the city's ability to supply our war efforts.

Signed Your Nephew,
Pasha Bakur Touryan, Envoy of House Touryan to Bastion"

Dear Pasha Bakur Touryan,

Your ideas are supported and will be backed with personnel, but only after the true failure of order in bastion is laid bare for the ruling class to see. We shall send troops to clean up the mess and re-establish order, it is not in our interested to prop up bastion's precarious position alone at this time. This of course would change were bastion not able to keep up their end of supporting the war effort -- but for now I wish you to ingratiate yourself to the populace and nobles -- continue to expose Bastions failing in the outer districts, and we shall arrive as saviors when the storms have already raged.

It has come to our attention that you ordered a suit of armor for your person. We will be thinking more of what is required of your protection as you continue your work at this important post. Help *IS* on the way.

Lieutenant Akaris, Agent of the underlord and contact to the most noble Touryan representative.

Excerpt from The Man in the Shadows: The Life and Times of Leo Alder
My early days were something not to take pride in, but to admit I did. Crime is eternal. Where there is wealth, there is poverty. To hear others say different only evokes grim laughter in me. I was fortunate to be an able student who could learn to control the flow of magic. I was gifted with a sharp mind and grim fascination with the more taboo aspects of the trade. The ones so many beg to their gods in fear of. They lack the imagination to understand the good such magics can do, or what they have done in previous times to even prevent things like war.

I took jobs offered to me as a sanctioned wizard. I earned my power and connections. I built my wealth with the patience of a man who understood the potential of Blood and Bone to extend one's life and youth. Power is slow to gather but once you have it, it does much for you. I have always been careful but I appreciated order. Outsiders and the foolish wealthy never could grasp what it means to scrabble by and struggle. To steal to live. I was spared that life, but I have friends that fell into it. Do I look down upon them for becoming thieves? Never. They are survivors. As am I. To survive is the true objective in life. Comfort becomes the next goal. For me, survival is knowledge and cunning. To understand a situation, to find the right strings and pull them.

I will admit, I did kill the Mender of the Northern Districts. Most people do not appreciate how... enthusiastic a murder victim is about returning the favor to their killer. The vengeful dead are a powerful force and I've found they resonate with me well. I think because its almost like a offered bargain to them. They are dead but I am offering the means for their own closure. Many take it, desiring to pass on and away from here by severing their last chains binding them. I did this at the beckoning of the Thieves Guild, feeling it good to make friends in the underworld considering my fields of study. Certain types of blood are hard to come by without criminal linkage.

In either case, my general philosophy is not to make enemies. I prefer to build contacts and alliances so that I have not only my magic and wit to rely upon. Survival dictated this nature in me. It was just as being s student at the College of Magic. You had to garner attention from the instructors to get the best lessons. I pandered to the master of Astral, Blood and Bone and they taught me much. I imagine if they asked tasks of me now I would do them, knowing they would reciprocate with favors if I didn't sense their intent to make me expendable.

I digress and and off topic. Crime. The Thieves Guild needed the Outer Districts ordered and on some level I agreed. Protection rackets are better than rampant thievery and murder. I admit the Mender was a killing I took a little pride it. I made his death spectacular and theatrical to send a message that mad dogs weren't welcome in Bastion. This was only the prelude to my more major efforts bringing down the more chaotic elements in the Outer Districts. I wasn't the only actor, of course, but you'll notice my signature in some of the incidents..

Last edited:
In the coming days after the battle at the docks, a bloody head of the Bandit Chief sat on top of a spike, brazenly displayed in the front gate of the Muurdaan Embassy. A sign accompanied the head which read:

"Here is the head of the Bandit Chief of the Eight Fingers, a man who made the Guards cower and ruled the Southern Outer District. But, most heinous of his crimes was assaulting an envoy and a member of House Touryan. It was his last."

Without a doubt the grotesque sight would attract attention in the Spire District, but that was exactly what Pasha aimed for. Shock. He had to convince the people of how incompetent their current administration was and bring the horrors of the lower district to the upper district. It was hoped that this display would begin setting motion for what Pasha aimed to accomplish. The display was up for a few days when the flesh started to rot and taken down. Pasha saw to it that the Narvik would have their servant back to them and sent a nicely decorated box, roughly large enough to hold a head to House Narvik back at the Capital with no letter. The "gift" was self-explanatory.

---

"Dear Underlord Touryan,

I must report that House Narvik has agents in Bastion, attempting to assassinate me. It was obvious that the theft of the documents were no mere coincidence. Thus, I partook in a war against the Gang who stole from us so that I could potentially learn more about the situation. After this battle, I searched the Chief of the gang who had a signet of House Narvik on him, which I now bare in my hands. I also captured several bandits during the battle and questioned them. They told me the rough location of the Narvik agent, who I will proceed to capture. It is clear at this point that House Narvik has ambitions in the city, which I personally will foil. I have to return the generous... welcoming that they have given me. Regardless, it is clear that Bastion is no mere backwater... otherwise the Narvik would not have any interest in the region. But, if it is war that they want, then it is war that they shall get. While aid still remains distant, I will continue to endeavor and bring power and glory to House Touryan.

Along with this letter, should be several prisoners of war. 25 men, while not fit enough for the Elite Houseman Project, their physical abilities should be sufficient for them to serve in the Penal Legions. They are fortunate to not be sentenced immediately to death, but rather have the opportunity and glory to fight among our legionaries. If the gods favor them, then perhaps a few might even survive to be pardoned due to meritorious service. But seeing how the Narvik infiltrated the gang before, I do not believe it prudent for them to remain in the city nor for them to remain and serve me. Thus, this is my small contribution to your war effort and to the people of the Empire.

For now, I will continue to operate as best as I am capable of. But with limited funding, allies, and manpower, there is only so much that a man could do.

Signed,
Pasha Bakur Touryan"

I guess that i'm getting old.

Maybe i'm not cut out for this line of work anymore, i'm getting sloppy. That ruin incursion could have gone much better, a younger man than I could have hoisted a bag full of mithril on his back with minimal trouble. And the only reason I had survived the attack from those thugs was because of the help from those rat-kin. Hah! Fifteen on three and I still struggle.

Maybe the coppersmith's right. Crime is a young man's game, to think, thirty-six years old and i'm still climbing into innocent people's homes and robbing them blind. It's a miracle I haven't died. My mother would have been ashamed if she'd seen her dear son Kendrick become who he is! Perhaps I can be pardoned, one day. Until then, i'm going to be making deals with gang members and two-bit explorers.

I met a party of adventurers today. One, by the name of Pasha is a sour, dutiful, diplomat with eyes that could kill. He serves Muurdaan, and doesn't take kindly to rat-kin from what i've seen. Shame, but in the end he seems like a good man. Barring his duties to Muurdaan.

Another, Lydia, is a tough, calm woman. She practically saved our lives at the dock battle. She carries some sort of rod that summons sandstorms, i'll have to learn more about it if I meet her again.

One more, an elf, I hadn't gotten his name but he was a respectable shot with a bow. He was orchestral in the battle at the dock.

There had been multiple others, a paladin, and a necromancer of some sort, but I couldn't catch their names. They were smart, and the paladin was an honourable man. The necromancer was very knowledgeable in his craft.

I will have to continue this note, but i'm growing exhausted as the night moves on, and my body aches after the battle. I wish the Gaolers well in their endeavors, whether or not they are ethical.

Also, remember to try out those jump boots, I didn't get to see that gnome fly high in the air. Would have been interesting to see a performance.

A discarded entry from a vigilant of Tyr
Author: Brother Leon

There's always fresh blood staining these hands.
You can wash them, soak them in lard and oils or drench them in expensive fragrances but the heat of fresh spilt blood remains and merges in a strange way with the cold of the long departed. I didn't know it could weigh on a man as it has but in time I feel the burden of my duty has become a weight I cannot exist without. Often when I polish my blade I can hear it echo their screams. Sinners, to be certain, but their crimes vary.
When I was younger it troubled me but as I took more lives the voices became less distinct. They merged into unholy choruses of suffering and in that noise I have grown an unsettling and haunting peace.
I fear that, or rather I feel that for I cannot fear, no life I lead from now on will ever make me worthy.

- BV.L.

[every entry after this appears fresher]

We serve the god of order. This siding with banditry and common roughians is highly unorthodox.
Brother Tyber assured us that these truces were temporary and dubbed them necessary evils but the blood we spill is a necessary evil. The support of groups like these 'gaolers' and the forceable replacement of other criminal rings like the 'eight fingers' is highly immoral.
Why we can't just drive them into the sediment of the canals and the rivers, I'm not sure. I see no gift greater to the four than bringing all criminals, no matter how grand or minute their crimes, to their justice.
I would personally cleave the hands off thieves and flog children who disobeyed their parents if none were brave enough to bring their justice to this wayward city but I cannot sit on my hands while these criminals are rewarded and the faithful are left to hang.
Our donations are spent on those who can make it to us and helping the discouraged of the inner sanctums but in the wayward sectors we seem all but absent.
The people who need us are ignored because we value our flocks above our callings. We fight for those we don't know only for them to fear turning to us because of the gangs we've propped up in their districts. What happened to his daughter Aranelle who teaches us to search for injustices and to right them? Is this what high cleric Saria wanted when he commanded us to turn our efforts to those in need? Would Tyr support his brother for the sake of his daughters?

- BV.L.

It is as though Tyr himself had stood in my boots before that council. My words were true, I can swear as much.
I told them what needed to be done and I offered myself as the example. With little argument they buckled. They agreed with me. This new wave of necromancy, having sprung from the morning air itself, was gone before noon. My brothers followed my example and we cleared them from the graves of the outer districts.
My concerns were clearly shared or perhaps my example has been inspiring. Though I do not do what I do for glory or for this spontaneous flurry of adoration.

- BV.L.

A magical letter arrives at the Capital, it must have been a very urgent letter.

"Executive Summary: All Narvik Agents in Bastion, neutralized. Agressa Narvik, captured. Interrogated. Attempted to fool her handler to convince House Narvik that they succeeded in my assassination. Ruse failed. House Narvik now knows that I have destroyed their plans in Bastion.

They will be scrambling to cover things up and make new plans. I beg for your pardon and forgiveness for my failure, Underlord. I hoped to fool them so that we could further learn about the Narvik's plans.

However, during the interrogation we learned the following:

1. House Narvik is attempting to weaken Bastion for an easy invasion, led by House Narvik.

2. All Narvik agents in Bastion are, as of currently, eliminated.

3. House Narvik has been using a magical mirror to maintain contact with their agents. It was hidden in a random store in the slums.

4. House Narvik plans to subvert House Touryan during the Aymaran campaign by randomly withdrawing at a crucial moment during a battle and leave House Touryan forces' flanks completely open to the enemy. This plan may no longer be in effect, but it is heavily recommended that House Touryan have sufficient reserve forces in the event that House Narvik plans to betray the campaign.

Finally, I hope these gift will ameliorate some of your anger at my failure. You should soon be receiving two eggs of a mighty serpent... its eyes are... memorizing. If grown, they may be useful in battle to shock the enemy, but this is a mere suggestion to your brilliance. Surely, you will have a good use for them. Additionally, I have sent a soul gem that contains the tattered conscious of the blood mage, Agressa Narvik. As I am not a mage, I dare not tamper with blood magic, but as always, your Underlordship must have a good use for such a token.

Your loyal Nephew,
Pasha Bakur Touryan"

During the period people called the Outer Culling, I began to worry for the welfare of Bastion. I'm am no fervent patriot but watching a Muurdaan Crony rampage through our territory and doing as they liked did make me wonder what was to become of my city. His interference and that of some Paladin caused me more anger and distress than I generally allow myself to experience. The fools were fortunate I was there when we uncovered a major demon summoning brought on by the madness that is apparently the standard norm of Muurdaan politics. A fine thing to witness after listening to their Crony prattle on about how things are run better in his aspiring empire, judging MY city for having the misfortune to have poor people, criminals and Ratkin sewer antics. One of the Houses of his nation consorts with demons. An entire grand faction of his people committing the most heinous practices of magic.

You may perhaps be saying that I am a hypocritical wizard, doubly so as an an established student of the school of Blood. My retort to you is that is my expertise and why I rarely EVER deal with or summon the kin of the Hells. My knowledge makes me far more aware of the dangers and cunning of these creatures. To be ignored on that authority by this Crony and his Paladin ally on the LAWS of my land. The need to keep the ranks of magic clean from the taint of the power mad who are responsible for your fetid stories about witchcraft, curses and demonic contracts. My kind are only safe when the mob thinks we are under control. I am not even a natural. I learned my magic. Earned it and trained with it. I was otherwise to be some poor soul in the Outer Districts scrabbling out a life of that very poverty and crime the Crony was so eager to comment upon. Everything I know and am capable of, I did myself. I do not beg the Gods for my power. I do not have powerful parentage that allow me to run rampant without care. Our other companions exposed to all of this were of common lineage like me. A perhaps dangerously charismatic merchant who I've seen rally a mob into a frenzy and the Crony's bodyguard, the poor soul.

We had set upon the ruins, for I had joined the expedition to aid me in finding a rogue sorcerer. The exact sort of individual this blood mage was. A rogue caster. The sort who we have to purge to keep those of us who are sanctioned safe and at least tolerated. How can the privileged and pious understand such fear? The do not. One believes themselves above repercussions and the other foolishly demands 'justice' when the only intelligent justice for rogue casters is death. They do not grasp how much danger they put us in letting a Blood mage live. If she had been more spiteful and crazed, she could use her very own life force and body as a resource for a final and spectacularly awful working of magic. I allowed them to take her, dreading I had set loose something awful upon my city. Perhaps it is my fortune she was too broken and worn down from the Demon Contract to realize she had such a final option. Fortune smiled upon us if so.

The College was far more tolerant of the situation, perhaps only because they'd required I continue to monitor it. Somehow the Blood mage died. Still I had to check the Crony. I had to be sure the fool had not gotten a death curse placed upon himself. His weakness now was a threat to Bastion. I did not want the Muurdaan and their arrogance here, but if this fool died, they would find excuse to 'advise' us. I am no politician but I keep abreast of history and current events. I saw how they were trying to whip every great city in their path into a vassal state of their would-be empire. I was glad the Aymara were bleeding them. The more their armies were focused there, the less they could send here. My taste of their politics from recent events showed me how dangerous having them as the Bastion's masters would be. I would have prayed even then, but the Gods own servants proved infuriating and showed that only mortals could see this through. The Gods didn't care...

Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon

Dear Agent and Nephew,

Your gifts are well received as I personally head out to oversee our forces in Aymara. It is predicted the human leadership can be exterminated swiftly enough with their rapid loss of generals and mages, but bringing the crocodile men to heel themselves is proving more difficult as they fall back into harsher and harsher territories. The situation has come such that I will need to lead the bannermen myself, and leave the house in good custody of my Regent.

I will take your gifts with me, the serpents as a symbol of power to the Aymaran, and the "Trinket" you sent I shall have fashioned into an earring so I can imagine the lamentation of the Narvik in my ear during my quiet contemplative times.

You did fail to reap returns on a great potential resource -- but the there is no point in taking issue with your larger results. The right house of Muurdaan is at work in Bastion now -- our hand... and while our interference is not entirely welcome, the lords of bastion, in light of their vulnerability and exposed embarassment, could not deny the offering of a legion of our troops to help pacify and maintain a peace in the outer districts. Expect these forces to arrive soon, along with a new "Houseman" guardian so many of the Muurdaan have been applying so much resources into making. Please report on the constructs effectiveness and any quirks you might encounter.

Your life is far from forfeit with your present accomplishments, but do not rest on your laurels -- make sure the Muurdain auxillaries are well recieved and applied, and Muurdaan politics in the outer districts will making mincing law and involvement in the inner districts that much easier. We are already seen as expansionist Tyrants -- but there can be no argument with the results that are expected of you should you be expected to survive this posting.

Await and guide the legion, as stated, and make sure the reception of muurdain dalliance in Bastion affairs is either welcomed or underestimated. With the outer districts and the hearts of the people looking favorably upon the empire, we know which way the wind can be bent to blow in the times to come. If the royals of bastion are too far removed from the problems of the people -- they shall receive so much more than our help come the time... but for now you perform amicably and retain my trust in you and your station.

Please find enclosed in this paychest 3000 gold pieces to further our interests -- I don't need to tell you how to do your job, but the guard of outer bastion must be reformed and pro-muurdain rather than craven cowards that stand as walls to contain wildfire amoung wilder populace.

Should we succeed as Expected in Aymara, I shall send you some souveniers of my own, Agent and Nephew -- though never forget the order in which I state that.

May you fare better than Angress in the days to come,

Underlord Touryan

Crumbli Crumbli , Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon Everyone Everyone

NEW WAVE OF CHARITY FOR THE OUTER DISTRICTS LEADS BY EXAMPLE!

"Due to our welcome and valuable allies the Muurdaan lending forces for civil protection and the new revival of seeming piety and charitable contribution catching fire in amoung the people of the Spire and Garden Districts, the city now knows a new level of peace and hopeful prosperity. Only the North Quarter still holds out with dangerous brigands and public areas and markets in the outer district cannot be remembered more safe or welcoming than at the current time, for living memory. The city of Bastion thrives, some say to the thanks of a few heroes leading by example, some attributing it to a new initiative by the Cathedral of Tyr and it's allies, and still others attributing it to our good neighbors, the Muurdaan Underlords. Whatever the cause, there will be reason to celebrate in the weeks to come!"

-Bastion Garden District Times

Letter to Celestina Ophes, to be send to wherever she might be found on.

Greetings.
You will not believe what I'll write, and could not believe me if I told you in person, either, about what these last few weeks of my life consisted on. Since I'm not sure where to begin, I find it just natural to inform you that there's a new member (I know what you think, and no, not me or Tami have settled down yet, we're young, thank you very much) to the family. She's a two-meter tall bear named Fortuna, and is adorable. We also have Josiah, a falcon, who seems a little friskier.

No, I didn't sell the whole business to afford them, and even have to inform you that it's running smoothly, even in light of the recent mayhem on the city.

Mayhem I helped calm down. I fought together with a Muurdain diplomat (a kind soul, despite a ruthless background), a mage who I would bet my life on, a Tyr paladin of the traditional fashion, an acorn thief, a runesmith dwarf, and probably more people I can't recall clearly at the moment. I've fought alongside them, against robbers and the Thieve's Guild and serpents; and enjoy doing so more than I ever thought I would.

You should have heard them. I couldn't walk down the street without someone shouting my name, or greeting me, whole lots of people I've never knew. I wouldn't say I'm a hero, but I'm the closest a normal person can get to that, it seems. I'm not -as I know I've told you before- fighting for that recognizment, or for the before hopeful ideal that I'll fight and get killed. No, lately, I've found I want these people to live, and to achieve that goal, I have to not get myself killed first. I want to live, and from them to do so too. That's why, I think, I'll keep fighting.

Get that smug smile out of your face, now.

The businesses is flourishing, you'll love it when you see it. Tami is growing more beautiful every day, and every day she reminds me of you, and asks me to write you. I hope to see you again soon, and that your travels are uninterrupted and fruitful.

Your daughter, Lydia.

"Dear Underlord Touryan,

May your campaign be swift and glorious. I thank you for your charitable contributions to the diplomatic mission and understanding of my situation. I am proud to say that the arrival of the Legion has been received warmly among the people of the Outer District. The Garden District remains largely neutral on the topic, but seeing how much business that we provide them... I doubt many have ill-will towards the Empire. However, it appears that many of those in the Upper District are rather unhappy for my airing out their dirty laundry. They seemed to be content with simply ignoring the issues that plagued the city since they were isolated in their ivory walls. However, it is clear that they dare not speak out against the Muurdaan due to popular support of our presence. If this were the Capital... such incompetence and laziness would be unheard of.

The Muurdaan Embassy now officially runs several charitable programs such as sanitation programs, fire-fighting brigades, and generally beginning the slow process of restoring the Outer District to a general level of safety, cleanliness, and habitability. Guards of the Outer District have been going through joint missions and training with our legion and are shaping up to be a more effective force. Your contribution of 3000 gold has directly aided this process. I seek to now garner the favor of the Garden District by generating more business for the craftsmen and merchants of the district. The guards of the city are in dire need for new and better equipment... it's a wonder seeing bandits that are... or were better armed than the guards themselves. However, the bandits have been dealt with and a general peace has returned to the Outer District between the reformed guard, the assisting Legion, and consolidation of underground organizations into a more passive entity.

With the city largely secured, much of my attention and concern now turns to the neighboring regions. The passivity of the Spire District has led to numerous dangerous cults, necromancers, and supposedly a Lich to take up residence nearby and garner power in the area. I have had to fight two necromancers personally... they are a dangerous group. While I know little of the magics, I will proceed to find a solution to this issue. The lands of Bastion will be reclaimed.

Finally, as per your gift of a Houseman bodyguard, I must admit. As an instrument of war, the Houseman seems to have no peer. Seemingly fatal blows are shrugged off as if it were a paper cut... much to the terror of myself and my enemies. I must admit... I would rather have the Houseman on my side rather than as an enemy. However, their general demeanor is concerning... as they emit a fearful aura. They are effective tools on the battlefield and in combat, but would likely be a burden when attempting to win hearts and minds. My conclusion: The Housemen should be kept largely hidden away in garrison and protection duties and only be actively used when the complete annihilation of an enemy is required... or used as a tool to strike fear and wage psychological warfare.

Along with this letter, I have been able to gain possession of numerous former bandits after a recent battle due to the good will from the City Guard. Spared from the gallows, these men have volunteered to serve in our Penal Legions. They are skilled fighters... although lacking in discipline, which I am sure our drillmasters will be able to quickly fix. Two centuria of Penal Legionaries will be joining your campaign promptly. I hope they will serve you well, and perhaps some will show further potential.

Long Live the Eternal Empire,
Pasha Bakur Touryan"

Last edited:
I would like to provide a short treatise on spirits. If you give one your word. Do try not to break it. Our world is filled with both wonderful and terrible things. It is often a coin toss simply due to the flow of things. Somethings however, people flip that coin result with their actions. One event in particular comes to mind. During a foray into the Ruins of the Old City, we came across an old Nature Spirit who seemed to have sustained themselves greatly off of animals and possibly people lured too close to the ruined park area. Much to my horror and discovery, one of the local scoundrels had the audacity to promise the spirit he would help them. The spirit trusted this fool with their Heart, granted as an acorn to be planted in the Garden District of Bastion. It would have done wonders for the park there, likely would have helped keep it safe too.

What occurred though was a reminder that we are our own worst enemies. This fellow decided to dump that Heart, the very core of that spirit's being into Bastion's gutters. The sheer amount of disgust and rage even now I feel at this is beyond description. He stranded the very essence of a spirit at the mercy of our city. The only fortune was that my party, which included this scoundrel but also those of more moral character came upon the desperate spirit. It was too weak by this point to bother trying to murder and feed off us, but the damage was done. What love and trust of people the spirit had, was shattered. The spirit granted a final item, a compass leaf to find its heart. I will admit that I did secure it for future planting in the Deepwoods. A request from a betrayed being that no longer wants to see us. The coin flip marred by a arrogant, ignorant criminal. We can tip it the other way as well. I hoped to save the spirit's mind and outlook of us by saving it. Knowing it could spread to others. The burden of being a wizard is knowing the things out of our view are watching us and feeling our actions. To know the dread we may experience in those dark woods... are of our own making.

A word of advice to any rogues or those interested in the mystical who are reading my book. If you encounter something strange. Consult a mystic. Do not simply take it for granted. Do not throw the acorn in the gutter. You may be setting in motion consequences you alone or an entire land may feel for generations. Spirits do not die of old age and many have very long memories.

Last edited:

Dear friend,

Alot of things have happened since I last wrote. I know, I know, "What, did you finally make that big break!" And fuck you for saying that. Looks like, the acorn i'd been given by that formerly seemingly 'evil' spirit in the park at the ruins needed to be found.

I was walking my way through the ruin sewers to acquire some older loot i'd left behind in an ingot repository but I was quickly snapped up by some brute in plate armour, that paladin in the justice cult. Ripped my shirt while I was winding my boots to, the bastard. Anyway, Pasha and Lydia had been there also, she has a bear now for some ungodly reason, and Pasha was looking as sour as ever.

Turns up, the spirit wasn't going to rip me apart and feast on my rotting corpse, well, she died anyway, so we had to acquire that acorn. But not before I was forced to dungeon delve with these mad fuckers. Apparently the paladin was going on some pilgrimage or something, I don't have the bother to care, but we slogged through spider-infested dungeons for a few hours before finding the mother of all, probably literally. We managed to sneak past her, and the bear had done some sort of pirouette or some bat-shit insanity to get past it.

After that, I was pushed into investigating a bath-house, which, of course, contained a slime which almost killed me. But these boots have a lot of uses i've learned, and the slime was dashed against the floor. Then we came upon some cathedral of sorts, and the paladin decided he would fight some stone golem. Yeah, I know.

He survived somehow. Now, i'm stuck in his care, I can't leave this hell unless I have an escort, and i'm made to donate to charity.

Thanks for being there I guess. I'll update you when possible, but I'm being semi-rushed to write at the moment. Tell Florence I said hello.

KM

A letter to Leo Alder written by a Brother Vigilant
Crocodile Crocodile

To Magister Leo Alder,

Salutations Magister, I am a member of the Cathedral of Truth and have shared many encounters with you before. I am a brother vigilant. I am known to my flock, brothers, and sisters as Brother-Vigilant Leon. You may address me however as Paladin if it continues to keep things easy.

I write to you out of necessity and faith in your abilities. I pray you pardon the briefness of my letter but there is little time to stand around on idle gossip when ink costs as much as it does.

I am certain you're familiar with the diplomat from Muurdaan. The one they call Underlord Pasha Touryan. I suspect our distrust of his intents is mutual and because of this I have a proposition. I doubt a man of his nature is directly involved with the problems he happens upon but it seems too convenient that wherever he walks he uncovers some plot that otherwise harms the image of Bastion. From what I have seen you are a patriotic man who values the law of locals above even that of Tyr's law and places oaths in high value. While I do not approve of your ordering of importance, I do respect your convictions and see similarities in them.

I would not ask you this if I did not trust your abilities. I need you to get ahold of his next letter sent, or perhaps the next letter coming in for him, so that I might read it before we return it to him. I cannot lie so I tell you this now. This is not on the order's behalf, or the behalf of the city. This is written as a loyal citizen concerned for the wellbeing of his city and who is suspicious of the intents of those beyond its protecting walls.

If you would not do me this favour then I understand but I would further request you discard of this letter, either by fire or by some other discrete method, to prevent us both from being diplomatic meddlers. In a sign of good faith I'll also share with you some information that I obtained from the rogue mage whom you allowed us to take for questioning. You seem concerned with demons so this news should trouble you as much as it does my order.

There is a cult in the forests. The cult of the Crimson Rose I believe they are. They have been involved in demon summoning and even now they speak of performing a ritual. When we return the acorn, I intend to continue out to find this cult and bring them to Tyr's justice. I believe both our orders would have the majority of them sentenced to death.

Furthermore, I invite you to accompany myself and the lowlife thief who is now in my care in our endeavor to drive out a lich who defiles the street of gods by scheming from the crypts and sewers below. If you come or if you abstain, you must be willing to slay this lich and must leave the grounds unspoiled. Looting from such a sacred place would be most disrespectful and otherwise unwise.

Signed,
-
BV.L

A Letter to the Champion
Crumbli Crumbli

To the Champion of Tyr,

Well met in turn, Brother Vigilant. Forgive the means of address, but I wish to avoid confusion on which of your order would receive this.

Know that we share a mutual concern, though I will forgo detail here in respect to our privacy on the matter and confirm the requested destruction of the letter. I have means to attempt what you have asked and will look into it. If I succeed, I will share my findings with you in person or at the very least arrange a delivery.

The Cult you mentioned is of concern to me if they are spreading demonic teachings. The College has indeed very strong opinions on this matter and should we come upon them, know that you can rely upon me to aid in their undoing.

As to the Lich, I admit my own wariness on facing a practitioner of the school of Bone that is so far gone. More so, I would only counter that what that creature has down there should not be left there. I will confiscate or destroy the Lich's items I find, judging on their ability for application to more useful ends beyond the insanity of a corpse mage. With that, I agree to avoiding disturbing the dead there and their grave goods. Let them lay where they were set, aside from undoing any binding the Lich may have put upon them.

I would though counter your quest against the Lich to first seek out and destroy the Rogue Sorcerer of the Ruins to better acquaint yourself with fighting a powerful mage. He is gathering orc-kin to himself and I am concerned about him even if he did rebuff the Narvik demon summoner likely out of pure ego. If not, I ask you make this rogue mage a future consideration before he seriously starts to threaten Bastion.

Respectly,
Leo Alder, Magister

Letter to Celestina Ophes, to be sent to wherever she might be found on.

Hi.
I write this letter with upmost urgency, to tell you that I'm leaving for a dangerous mission. It'll be a three day travel, and we'll bring as much help as we can. If we succeed, we'll be saving a lot of lives. The shop is on Tam's hands, but can afford to run half-day as well, or to close for a few days. I've taken it up on myself on getting magic classes to do better on said mission.

I know what you're thinking. Yes, it's that serious.

I want you to know that I'm not planning on doing what dad did. I don't wish to anymore. We'll go, my party and me, and we'll come back, safely. I'll give my all to make that happen.

You'll like them, I'm sure. I hope your travels are sound and you come back soon so we can all go to out and listen to your stories. Did I tell you I own a snake? She's living in the Muurdain embassy (a lot has happened since you're gone) which I hope we can visit soon. Tami, herself, has a lot of plans for when we're back. She's already a lady, the little bard. She's written a song about a sad orc, and war... you'll love the lyrics, I know. The Kooko next door have offered to take her in, in case something happened to delay my arrival, and she didn't want to be alone on our place. So please, don't worry about her.

I, myself, will be ok, too. I promise.

I'm ranting, sorry. Take care, and I hope this letter isn't too disastrous as it looks, as I wasn't sure how or what to write in it. I love you.

Your daughter, Lydia.

Internal Memo to all Muurdaan soldiers and officials in the City of Bastion:

By imperial decree, I, Pasha Bakur Touryan, hereby with the powers bestowed upon me by the Empire and the Underlords, order that all legionnaires and subjects of the Empire be cleansed with holy water at the end of every day and that water rations be switched to holy water. A recent rise in Necromancy and Cultist activity in the area is capable of corrupting the souls of man. Thus, to combat this potential threat, all Muurdaan in this city WILL be cleansed with Holy Water every day. Failure to comply with this imperial decree will lead to capital punishment. A Pantheon Priest will be available at all times at the front of the Muurdaan Embassy, who will be keeping track of these daily cleansings until further notice.

In addition, rations will be changed to include new dietary supplements to optimize your performance and capabilities as loyal subjects of the Empire. You are expected to finish consuming the entire ration so that you may perform at peak performance.

Glory to the Eternal Empire!
Pasha Bakur Touryan

---

The next day, all Muurdaan soldiers seemingly had a bit of garlic breath as well as a few people having strange skin ailments where they began to turn slightly blue, but these minor issues were swiftly resolved within the coming days.

Last edited:
Dear Underlord Touryan,

I wish you a swift recovery. The war was hard fought, but it is a shame that it had to drag on and end the way it did. I send this letter to you via the IMS Bastion, the first merchant ship of an import-export business that I have established in Bastion with the help of an esteemed local merchant and a runesmith dwarf. With the ship, should be our first export of machinery made by the dwarves, medicine for the wounded and precious metals. As you likely have guessed, this is a means of bringing the economic ties and relations of Bastion and Muurdaan closer. In fact, the crew has been given orders to purchase exotic goods from Muurdaan to import into Bastion.

There have been other recent developments as well... a cult seeks to summon a horror and release it into this world. Not to mention that the nobility of Bastion has long been infiltrated by the undead. A certain Count, named Voicu, appears to be a vampire with a Lich master who resides under the streets of Bastion. Clearly, such unholy abominations cannot be left alone, so I will strive to eliminate these threats. I must admit... the incompetence and lack of administration in the city... stunned me at first. I did not want to believe that leaders are capable of failing their people to that extent. Now it makes sense that this incompetence was intentional... the Lich is harvesting the death and souls of those in the city and a mass ritual killing is planned. By my word and to my dying breath, I will not allow the Lich to succeed in destroying Bastion and starting an unholy Kingdom.

Among some less notable developments is the fact that a certain mage in the city had spied on me and even obtained our correspondence, but that should no longer be a concern. I ended up in a situation where his was soul captured in a soul gem and placed his existence into the houseman. Much to my surprise... the body of the houseman compelled the soul of the mage to obey my commands. This brings disturbing conclusions... and shows that Houseman mages could be made as the mage was able to manipulate magic in the husk of the Houseman. I must profess... the more I learn about the Houseman... the more disturbed I am...

Regardless... law is maintained in the city except for a recent foray into the Elven district of the city as it was a hotbed of Vampiric activity that was in service of the Count Voicu. All the vampires and elves have been driven away from the city as even the elves have decided to willingly leave the city due to the recent threats that have formed in the city. The legion is well received as usual, and the Muurdaan stand as a symbol of stability and safety.

Along with this letter, however, should be a box of Purlett Mushrooms, personally grown and harvested. They are great for building up strength and stamina. I hope they will serve you well.

As always, I await for your next letter so that I may better serve the Empire.

Signed,
Pasha

Dear Nephew,

Your snakes were valuable in exploiting the superstitions of the Aymaran -- The human royals and their temple-cities have been utterly crushed, and the crocodile men have been pushed into the wastes where even they can barely survive and we cannot follow.

All arable and resource-rich land and valuables of the Aymaran empire now swells the belly of the Eternal empire. My wounds are healing well and I will soon be back in the capital and more able to influence your activities directly.

The time is soon coming when Bastion must be Annexed into the Eternal Empire. The poor and common have been shown our graces, the middle class have been made to fear and mistrust their leaders. We will save them from their undead enslavement, and even those who curse the yoke of our leadership at first shall certainly grow to revere, and even love us in due course.

It is disturbing to learn of such a successful spy in your midst that you have for whatever reason allowed to live. You must see value in him as an asset. Find out what he wants, and The Empire will give it to him, or he must be Liquidated. I trust you will know how best to resolve this situation, but to have resolved the issue to your satisfaction does not relieve us of our duty to dispense with, or make use of, those who demonstrate the capacity to follow our movements or harm us.

The IMS Bastion has already arrived in the Capital and it is being loaded with exotic goods to wow the locals of bastion from everywhere we draw our far-flung imports from -- this will win us hearts and minds among the middle classes and nobility alike -- those nobles of course that will still be drawing breath when the Muurdaan banner flies high over Bastion. The merchants guild has tallied what the profit of your maiden voyage is after exotics should be sold in bastion, and this amounts to the modest sum of 100 thousand gold. (10 wealth) -- delivering your goods further afield will reap greater profits. I am sure your partners however will be pleased with this minor influx of currency.

Your asylum seekers have been greeted into the capital and are being treated as befits protected ken of the House of Touryan. They will long remember the greatest wonders of the capital, and know the safety and security our house can provide.

You seem to be moving apace, Nephew -- and I have the utmost faith you will navigate all that stands in our way. Bastion belongs in the empire of man -- just as man must find it's place above all.

I know you to have a gentle heart and spirit for a Touryan -- but I have never seen issue with your results. Don't think of now to disappoint me.

For the Empire,

Underlord Touryan

Last edited:
Death is a curious subject for a man like me. I have survived it at least once. Due to a decision or perhaps a willing choice, I invoked something dark and powerful if only because it would sustain my life force long enough to pull my soul from the grip of the other side. Am I a selfish man? Yes. I will never deny my entire mission in life is to continue existing and to grow more powerful to ensure that existence. Yet there are states of existence I know are more horror than reward. The Housemen of the Muurdaan come to mind, though I knew this before I ever had too close an encounter with one.

As to the Muurdaan. Never trust them even as they smile at you and fight by your side. If you are of a free nation, they are working to erode that freedom and strip it away to make you yet another slave to their empire. I know too much about how they work now to ever trust them. I have concluded that if they wish to take Bastion, they will have to pay me or I will bleed them in such horrific ways for the insult done unto me that those who dared the takeover can watch their great Houses crumble. I can no longer save my homeland, only blunt the damage and benefit. Again, I am a selfish man and I have given more for my city than most would dream considering my death and restoration.

Bastion is a lost cause to me. The Muurdaan Emissary, perhaps in his stupidity, did something no one who actually went to the College should ever do. He read me. He dared to take the entirety of my life knowledge on. Stole my secrets. Stole my lessons. Oh I still have them, but he didn't earn them through what I endured. What any true wizard goes through to achieve their power. This is typical of his people, playing with things they don't truly grasp. Like the Housemen. Just bumbling along and declaring it is progress. Some may argue I was spying on him, this was fair return. To you I laugh for you do not grasp the difference between the snapshot of intrigue and the full scope of a life. It was MINE. But, like all things, the Muurdaan took it from me wihtout asking. Elected to seize what he thought he had right to. So be it. I shall seize what I think is mine as well...

Last edited:
A letter awaiting Pasha on his desk beneath a Stone Spy paperweight.
Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon

To Pasha Bakur Touryan

Dear 'Friend',

You are not a wizard, so I do not expect you to fully appreciate that what you have done is offensive on levels beyond reason. Know that I know and have contained the considerable rage that you have elected to summon forth in me. You can rest assured your country's plans to seize the city will no longer be able to be hindered by me as you know all I knew. Sadly you do not know what I will know in the future, nor now. You took from me more than I EVER took from you. You are fortunate I am so sensible. Many wizards would just kill you and be done with it.

Instead, I am kindly informing you that a peaceful transition will now come with a price. I'm sure the response will be assassination attempts considering you just take entire lifetimes of information without considering the depths of the consequences. Yet I endeavor instead to profit from the loss of something I cared about, knowing I cannot save it. You took from me, so you know this is true to my nature. You can have a partner or learn the true depths of my creativity in the arts I practice on a scale not yet seen. Just take comfort in knowing that you are the one to force me to have to realign my outlooks and I rather like the sound of House Alder.

With Regards,
Leo Alder, Magister

A letter to the Champion of Tyr
Crumbli Crumbli

Brother Vigilant,

The Muurdaan know. I'm sorry. Things are beyond my control now. All I have left is survival and the knowledge I can warn you at least.

With Regret,
Leo Alder, Magister

Users who are viewing this thread

Back