• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

CITY OF BASTION (Beckoncall's RP!) Main story thread...

A pigeon arrives at the tower of Leo, bearing a letter from the Embassy:

"Dear Mage,

If you strive to become an Underlord, then here is my advice. Refrain from threatening other houses unless you are sure you can decisively win and carry out that threat. If you cannot ensure victory, then watch your tongue for it will be cut off otherwise. If my mercy towards you was offensive to you, then perhaps your temper is not suited for the politics of the Muurdaan and is a liability. There are many things that others will be willing to do to you, which I am sure you could imagine are worse fates than the mercy I have shown you in sparing your life, indeed saving your life when you called out to ME in anguish. I may have learned from your lifetime, but I have also granted you another one. One with much more potential than you could ever have imagined or dreamed of in your former life. You will one day see the blessing that I have bestowed upon you and thank me for this opportunity, but that hinges upon your own ability.

Never forget, within my own hands I carried your existence, a fragile thing that could have easily been crushed. Let that be a lesson. House Touryan is a great friend and ally, but a fearsome enemy, one that will seek to reap a mile for every inch aggressed upon by an enemy... but an even worse fate awaits those who attempt to betray or pretend to be a friend to House Touryan. I may be merciful compared to the rest of my family, but even that has its limits. See to it that you remain in the good graces of House Touryan, and perhaps your dreams of a House Alder just might come to fruition.

Your future is once more in your hands only due to the fact that I will it to be. See to it that you do not waste it, for you have chosen to take a path where your life is no longer just yours.

Your ever-watching benefactor and sponsor,
Underlord Touryan"

Last edited:
The city of Bastion turns its attention to a night of revelry under the pale moonlight. The usually crowded streets are rendered empty as it seems entire neighbourhood's are emptied out, drawn like moths to the flame of wealth and decadence. The only thing to break the quiet of one lonely street is the ringing bell of a lowly acolyte of Tyr.

"Alms.... alms for the poor." He calls out half heartedly, clearly not a fan of his current assignment. "Give freely unto those less fortunate. Blessed be those that care for-"

"What are you doing?" An unseen voice suddenly came to his ear, causing the lonely novice to nearly jump out of his skin at the spooking.

Standing before him was a wild looking elf who seemed to have been spawned by the shadows themselves. They dressed like a beggar and walked with a staff as they approached the charity pot, inspecting it and the accompanying priest with no regard for manners and personal space.

"You wear robes like a temple brother. Do you belong to a temple?" Asked Therin.

"Uh... uh the Church of Tyr, Sir. Lord of justice and champion of the downtrodden." Came an uncertain reply from the acolyte who still wasn't sure if he was about to get mauled by a madman.

"This one is unfamiliar with the name. Are they a warrior... a warlord who asks for tithes?"

Had this vagrant been living under a rock? "No, Sir, Tyr is a god. The god of justice, order, they stand for all that is good and inspire their champions to spread his works in the world and to fight evil and chaos where they find it."

"Priests and soldiers... like warrior philosophers?" Therin asked, tilting his head and perking up with curiosity.

"Something like that. They're paladins who dedicate their lives to something greater than themselves and the betterment of all."

Now this was interesting. This sounded like exactly what Therin was looking for. "I do that! I'm looking for personal betterment and spiritual progression! Where does one go to enter this paladin training?"

"Well they don't just accept anyone." Stammered the acolyte, still unsure of what to make of this mad elf in the night. "You have to serve the church and prove yourself brave enough to stand against demons and undead horrors."

"I did both of those things on my first night in town!" Therin cheered, looking like a puppy who just heard the dinner bell. "I know not of your temples but if I serve in its upkeep would I earn an invitation?"

This was getting to be too much for the poor brother of Tyr. "Well that takes years of study, service, charity work-"

"What about this charity work?" And with maddening nonchalance Therin dumped the majority of his demon slaying earnings into the charity pot, threatening to tip it over under the weight of all the gold.

"This will be my donation to your temple's alms. Will that serve?"

The acolyte could only mutter and stumble over his own tongue as his eyes threatened to bulge out of their sockets.

"Excellent!" Therin said, taking that as a yes, not caring for the loss of such material wealth. "I shall await the response of your sages. If they need to reach me I am staying at the arena. Goodnight to you fair brother."

And like some fairy of luck and air Therin was gone again. Emboldened by this fresh sense of direction.

The acolyte of Tyr was left to count his pot of coins and try to explain the strange experience to his superiors.

A discarded entry from a vigilant of Tyr
Author: Brother Leon

I retrieved a sacred icon. The crown of the annointed. I was chosen. I can barely write let alone even comprehend this.
Surely I will wake soon.
- BV.L.

Tomorrow we battle the cultists. Their order has perverted everything in the wilds beyond the walls. Bastion will breathe clearly without them and our order has dubbed their destruction a must. We have been told to crush them. To spare none, not even for questioning. Only a handful of us should be needed for this task but I know if we take too few none of us will return. If we take too many we risk exposing a weakness in the city to unholy beasts and beings. I doubt that vampires are much an issue within these walls, as are demons, but that Lich that lurks beneath the path of gods has me concerned. Only five of us will go. That's all I need.
- BV.L.

We lost him. Brother Vigilant Aiden Mueller. He was young and foolhardy but he had a spark in him that I doubted could be extinguished. As he fell they clambered over his corpse to try and desecrate his resting flesh. I was too far away to stop them but his armour held and the Tyren from the battle slaughtered the attackers. I didn't have much respect for the animals before that battle, but their courage is something that almost commands at least a modicum of it.
Still, to see my brother fall weighs heavy on me. A boy barely younger than myself yet still so youthful. I was only four years his elder but I trained him. I helped him learn his stances, helped him learn to read. I remember one time when he was new to the order and Brother Tyber denied him any luxuries for his misreading of scripture. "He'll learn or he'll suffer," he'd say. I smuggled him out of the bunks and we ransacked Brother Tyber's wine racks. He was so mad and I took the canings for the both of us.
I remember when he told me he fell for a girl outside of the order. That he wanted to break his oaths that he'd just taken to take a chance that love was meant for him. I remember helping him heal from that pain and showing him that we were more than an order, we were a family. But all of those memories are now scattered and as I search for them I am greeted by the image of his half mauled face. So peaceful yet so horridly disfigured. Tonight our family mourns. We loved him and now we must let Tyr judge him and love him as we did.
- BV.L.

The court was corrupted by vampires. Our king a puppet propped up by a toy of evil.
Their home filled with decadent pleasures and perversions not only of the flesh but of the faith. Of all the faiths.
We fight, suffer, and die for these temples and in that hall of unnatural pleasures they turn our sacrifices into sickening displays of carnal pleasure. I am a man of absolute faith. I am pure in my convictions, my resolve stronger than most men. Yet here I sit with a blacked out memory and a throbbing in my skull. I have bruises in places I dread to write and when I awoke I can only question why inside the formal pants I was gifted resided a woman's garments and the tail of a deep sea fish.
Furthermore I then remember that one of my more powerful countrymen, a magister whose name I shan't utter out of concern of discovery, has gone and turned tail. He now bends to the will of Muurdaan and fears his own survival. I would die for this land, as he claimed he would have too. He knows what he's done is wrong. I can feel it from him when I even utter the name Muurdaan.
He was abused and violated by them as everyone in Bastion will be and yet somehow I am to accept this as a fact and live on. He mentioned saving lives of men like myself as though my life is something I care for. We of the order breathe to bring his justice and stop only when he commands it. I don't doubt that every brother vigilant, every sister faithful would be willing to lay down their lives for this land.
Perhaps that's the problem.
I dread to think of our future. If I am fortunate I will die in the battle of Bastion or I will be too far for news of its fate to reach my living ears.
- BV.L.

This book of mine, this journal. I must destroy it or at least discard it. I can't keep it any longer. It has my deepest confessions and I cannot risk Muurdain agents finding them and using them against me.
I know what I will do with it.
I write in this to myself now so that I may remember and to you, whomever finds it, so that you may let it lie.
On these grounds we fought a Lich and either we won and he was slain or I fell and with me lies this book. If it is the latter, I pray you destroy it as I have failed to.
- BV.L.

"Dear Uncle,

All in Bastion fares well. Despite the limited resources available to me, Bastion has obtained and maintains a new found stability and peace that has never been seen since its existence both past and present. While preparations are being made for a campaign against the Lich, I have decided to write to you. Much like how a soon to be retired veteran of our Legions is awarded for this deeds and service to you and to the Empire, I find myself wondering what my goal in this life should be and what it is that I should strive for after this mission. You say that a man must find his place above all. I know my place and have served to, what I am sure you would agree, an exemplary high standard.

Yet, unlike those decorated legionaries, I have no home or land to call my own nor will I be given upon my retirement. For this reason, I have a personal request unrelated to the Muurdaan mission in Bastion. As I am your Nephew and not of direct blood, your legacy will pass onto your children and family. I have no qualm about this for your legacy is the culmination of accomplishments of Touryans since time immemorial, including mine. Thus, I request the ability and means to forge my own legacy so that I may have my place above all as well. For this reason, I request your blessings for me to form a cadet branch of House Touryan, a House Touryan - and the last name of whomever I may be wedded to in the future.

As I said, I know my place in this world and it is to further the cause of House Touryan, which is why I request that I be allowed to form a cadet branch to the main House so that I may serve the Empire in the best circumstances, one where my desires and yours are completely in line. However, for that to happen, I must be able to forge my own path and establish my own legacy... one that both raises House Touryan to new heights and one that is distinct from yours.

I eagerly await your response with bated breath as I make the final preparations in this undoubtedly difficult task that I have before me. Should I, by fate or by chance, fail... I have also sent several recommendations, reports, and ideas in regards to the future. I hope that you will consider it as my living will and carry it out as my executor as it is what I would have desired to see done if I were alive. This peace and stability in Bastion is a tenuous one and many ambitions and fools threaten this rare gift that has been bestowed upon Bastion. Long live the Empire and may it bring peace and stability for eternity.

Your Nephew,
Pasha"

Last edited:
Excerpt from The Man in the Shadows: The Life and Times of Leo Alder
Vampires are a dangerous disease. They are alluring, the promise of immortality in exchange for the corruption of you mind and soul. Perhaps you think I jest but the living dead should never exist unless in service to something greater or at least better than themselves. I use intelligent dead, I allow souls to enter into contracts with me, but that is an agreement between two parties. I bargain and enhance in exchange for their chance to continue experience existence until the Lady comes for them. Bodies are just that but I do no desecrate tombs. I know the value and meaning in them. There is power there, a reminder all must die.

I killed four vampires at some pains during the Grand Masquerade. I left the slaying of the Master Vampire to my comrades mostly for I have found I could count on them... despite violations committed against me. I know my priorities and in the end... I will outlive those who wrong me. I can be patient for my death before has taught me much in my future restoration plans. While vampires and lichs caper in the shadows as the monsters that they are... I will be seen. I will be known and accepted. This is why I do no seek undeath. I know the horror and madness that will come with it. The loss of one's self to the rituals and curses that are needed for such existences.

Count Voicu, I curse you. It is because of you and the actions of another I have been forced to set in motion events I did not desire. I was willing to be patient, to tear away at the abilities of the city's future conquerors in a manner few would have believed... yet it could have worked. I had allies I knew I could count on once I began the fire to fan its flames into an engulfing storm. That has been stolen from me, made easier by the arrogant vampire lord and his Lich master whom even now I seek all means to hinder for a final confrontation. We much slay the dark puppet master hidden beneath our city. And then I must press hard to assume authority while simultaneously showing loyalty and deference to new master in the accursed Muurdaan. It still summons forth rage in me to know I had to do this, that I had to shift elements in the city towards a new government and power.... that I would dare to see to be the face of such a movement. I knew not if I would succeed, only the events and my own ambition demanded I push ahead for the sake of Bastion and my own future.

My only hope is that those who read this can forgive me for what I chose to do. To give Bastion to the Muurdaan and yet still have it be ruled by its native peoples. To seek perhaps out of arrogance the foundations of a House through which I could still influence things. My love of my homeland and my ambition drove me onwards as I reeled from the inability to halt the inevitable... All I could do was salvage the situation and reap what I could for myself and for Bastion.

Time of the Outer District
Authored by Kendrick Mulligan

Excerpt: "The Childhood"
My childhood within the Outer District was fairly rough for my family's upbringing.

Chalk it up to recent misfortune, laziness, and financial disregard. But there was always an itching question in my mind; Why was I subjected to poverty, but the nobles were given a decadent walk through life? I had witnessed this recently, at a ball in the palace area. Hedonism and pleasure everywhere, but not a single honest man in sight.

Maybe there wasn't reasoning behind it? My line was forever born to be criminal, and theirs to be fat and rich. Fate, maybe. Meanwhile the church members, like Leon and his Tyr are given special permissions to steal and loot. How is my method any different? They did just the same.

Sounds like illegal acts are permissible when a god is in the ring, to be fair. Pay your dues at the church and go home to torture your servants. Funny, isn't it?

Hm.

Letter for Tamera Ophes

Hi Tam.
It's raining heavily in Bastion. Has it rained there too? Ah, I wish I was there with you two. I've only heard good things on this side, about your stay there. How are things? How are you? Have you met any prince yet? Please, don't begin an uprising over an old lady's mannerism that you didn't like. I'm serious. Don't.

Things are well in Bastion. Rumours are that a Mageocracy will begin, shortly. A good friend of mine adores the idea: He's a mage, too, and is hoping to get a good place on all of this. I've heard he even got Muurdaan's support! He does leave good impressions, as he's smart and of a kind soul. I know you'll get along well, may you met.

The ball was... everything you thought it would be. Everything was so big! And you always said the spire district just had to be small. Well, it's not, by any means. The lights, the food, the dances, the people and the dresses, Tam, you had to SEE how many linnorm dresses were there! Even a few copies. Copies! Of my work! I've got copycats Tam! I'm so happy! :D

I acknowledge you're rolling your eyes right now, or want to take mine off. Just so you know, that's very un-lady-like, little bard. You should be ashamed.

I yearn to tell you more about it and a million other things I know I'm forgetting, when you come back. Things are going well. I'm contempted. If there's anything that's on your mind, talk about it with mom. No, don't tell her, talk about it. She knows much about everything, and has to be able to help you. And be kind. Your thoughts are important, yes, but remember you're a guest, and we don't know much of the etiquette there.

Use your indoor voice.

If someone is stepping on a boundarie, however, you can knock them out. I'll take full responsibility of it by this medium from today onwards.

I miss you and mom. I hope your stay is peaceful and you're not worried about anything. I know, I know, why would Tamera Ophes feel like that? She's a strong and independient person. She's not afflicted by sadness or distance or heavy rain, that affect mere mortals like us. But allow your sis a little cheesiness, would ya?

Oh... harsh. Well,

See you soon,
Lydia

P.D: (You've gotta write more, little bard.)

Statement being issued by Town Criers through Bastion by the Bastion Legion mercenary company:

From the pen of Leo Alder!

People of Bastion! I know that right now is a frightening time. That the city seems like it is facing chaos and change that will be unpleasant.

All change is unpleasant. We are creatures set in our ways. I though grasp the fear some of your experience. As you fear the ideals of another land taking too much hold here.

Know that we are all citizens of Bastion. That we will always consider any who come to live here to be citizens. Our land though is set to join with a greater empire.

That is something that is scary as well. For some outlooks differ but the benefits outweigh the concerns.

Many of the changes to come are for those who are ignored, downtrodden, forgotten or shoved aside. Do not flee from opportunity. Do not run from a nation just realizing it must fully embrace all who live and build families here.

Bastion enters into a new era and we will only grow stronger for those who choose to make that future theirs.

Reap the rewards that are to come. Remain our brothers and sisters. Our friends and family. Our neighbors.

Time of the Outer District
Authored by Kendrick Mulligan

Excerpt: "Godly Strength"
Today the Muurdaan moved in. I've retained a title as the 'City Warden' by the guild, and they immediately put into work renovations to the castle. The bastards. Can't they see the commoners suffering under they're empire? I see it. I live next to an illegal fighting ring for the gods sake's!

The magocracy was also put into power shortly afterwards, and now Leo is to good for the rest of us. Meanwhile Lydia and Pasha bed, Leon's left us and now we're fighting the lich. It's nothing i'd ever hoped for, but it's coming.

The rain outside only strengthens as I sit, and i've broken a quill in writing this. We may well die by the time we are met by the lich, and at this point it might be for the better. Right now i've hired some urchins to put up leaflets, but the middle class has already been allied by the Turtleshell's.

At some point they will learn that the Muurdain and the magocracy cannot survive. They'll have to. I'll show them that it won't.

An urgent letter, sent by magic arrived at the Capital:

"Dear Underlord Touryan,

I write this letter in a time of emergency. The Pan, werewolves, and fae have declared war upon us and the Deepwoods of the north of Bastion have come to life. We set off on an expedition to clear the Deepwoods, but were beset by a ritual to convert men into werewolves to provide their 'Bitch Queen' more servants and men. Following this attack, the Bitch Queen sent a Pan as an envoy to formally declare war... rather late since we were attacked by the coven. However, due to the idiocy of a half orc adventurer who slew the envoy, nature itself seems to have joined this war as vines and roots attempt to crawl up the walls of Bastion. We are besieged from all directions by nature. It is clear that the forest seeks vengeance... I have marched personally to parley and see if its anger can be ameliorated. This attempt at diplomacy has failed. Thus, we are left with only one option, total war. This is an enemy that legions of spears and swords cannot fight. Using the very last reserves of my personal treasury, I will attempt to fund various ventures to defeat nature itself, but with only one week of respite before the next assault... ideas and morale run short. May this letter not be the last. However, I must now march to war and I trust that if needed, then you will seek your vengeance against nature itself.

Long Live the Eternal Empire,
Pasha Bakur Touryan"

Last edited:
Various crystals set up through the city during the First Night of the Deepwoods War. They spark to life, projecting the figure of Leo Alder sitting up his throne of polished granite with its carved runes and sigils glowing slightly. His cane stood perched in a special clasp for it on the throne as the new ruler of Bastion looked out as if looking upon his people.

"Citizens of Bastion, many of you are asking what has come upon our grand city. Why has Nature itself deigned to strike at us? Is this some punishment from the Gods? No. The Gods are what even now muster to hold back the tide of beings who would see our city crack and crumble. Primitives, monsters and spirits who have elected to hate and fear us without ever truly knowing us. All they have shown they can do is lash out at us," Leo said as he raised one of his hands from its rest in a dismissive gesture.

"They do not want to talk. Do not want to reason or even hear us out. They plotted from the very beginning to unleash a plague of werewolves upon us. I know. I was there when we found the Woodmen willingly being infected. A Druid performing the ritual. A lycan standing there and infecting them!" Leo notes as with each sentence his tone had risen in greater outrage.

"They sought to enslave us in moon madness and monstrosity!" He raises and hammers his fist down on the throne with a look of anger. Reaching over to take up his cane as he rose. The image following as he stepped up to stand before his people. His arms wide in a plaintive gesture. "To infect and spread this disease across our lands. Kill our farmers. Sow terror. The Bitch Queen of the Deepwoods and her spirit allies have shown us their hand."

"They do not seek peace or understanding. They want annihilation. They fear us for daring to embrace the Muurdaan who have done nothing but try to upflit Bastion from its woes. Who have allowed us to choose our path of governance within the Eternal Empire. Who listened to us." Leo said with a sigh. "I myself doubted much of the Emprie at first, I will not lie. Yet I now see the benefits it will bring to us, to Bastion. The potential for our city to grow into a power unto itself in trade and knowledge. The potential they have opened up to us. And for embracing this path, the Deepwoods choose hatred, death and oppresion," Leo said as spits out the last part venomously.

"You wish to know who is to blame? The Deepwoods. They who seek to slaughter and enslave us now. They who will learn the power and might of a city like out unleashed upon them for daring to try to wipe us out. We will take their lands for this. We will tame the Beast the is the Deepwoods just like we have any other. We will break it! Take up your arms, put forth your effort and accept the sacrifices we must now make to save our homeland! Keeps these words I leave you with in hearts and minds."

Leo raises forth his cane like a scepter or officer's baton in a gesture of inspiring command.

"BASTION WILL PREVAIL!"

A deathly silence filled the air as Pasha walked through the ruined and torn fields of crops and debris. The war was averted for now, but many had lost their lives regardless. The east of the city was the site of a bloodbath... Pasha couldn't help but remember the remains of the farmers that he had seen and his stomach turned slightly. Still, life had to continue on despite the tragedy... he had prevented the war. Pasha had sent a subsequent letter to his Uncle, updating him about the situation, all the events that had occurred recently, and some gifts for House Touryan such as the schematics for a tank. Now, rumor was that a lady, in the service of House Xyphon, from the Far East was invited to marry Underlord Alder. No doubt... the courtly intrigue of Bastion would shift substantially with these two large Houses developing a more amiable relationship. Pasha couldn't help but wonder if they were capable of dealing with it.

It had been a while since Pasha had heard word from his Uncle, and Pasha was left wondering what it was that he should do at this point. The Lich was a lingering threat, but not one that was too pressing. There was much to do to rebuild Bastion and restore stability... Leo's summoning of the demons and devils was a concerning spell. One that Pasha highlighted in his letter back home to the Underlord. For now, Pasha would tolerate it, but rarely did demons and devils not sneakily take more than what one planned.

Pasha walked back to the city where, on occasion, people walking by thanked him for his service to the city. Pasha took the words in stride, not lingering or basking in the praise. He continued down the streets with various Legion patrols passing by him and giving him salutes. It was all a bit much, but he had to keep his image and presence around the city lest it fall into dereliction due to laziness or being overlooked. It was one thing to read reports. It was another to see the problems personally as sometimes words are not enough to capture the essence of a thing. Pasha knew he didn't have to do all this, but right now he knew nothing else that he should do. Thus, with his mind focused and determined, Pasha continued to walk through the city of Bastion with curious and yearning eyes, absorbing all that there was to see and witness in this city.

A letter from Daughter Isis Al-aziri to Underlord Xyphon

To our dearest and most honourable Underlord Xyphon,

I apologise for my tardiness.
As I'm certain you're aware I have been busily investing in the city and providing avenues for you and your house to expand their spheres of influence. It has been no small task and while I thank you for your support and sponsorship in getting me to my current position, I ask more from you. As it stands the Underlord of the city, Underlord Alder or 'lord magister' as he insists on being called despite my refusal to do so, has spoken of contributing to the construction of the eternal cathedral in Bastion. I would ask of you for a pledge to aid in its construction. I also intend to invite Pasha Touryan to pledge funds to the construction of the eternal cathedral.

I'd also like to thank you for your selection of bridal candidates. While I doubt they were chosen by your hand directly, they were all worthy and admirable candidates with no flaws being seen in any of them. All loyal to house Xyphon above Alder, I should hope. Underlord Alder has made his choice however and while I don't personally approve his choice I'm certain that you would be satisfied with the fact he did in fact choose a bride put forward from house Xyphon and not another rabble rousing house such as Narvik. I suspect the two shall get along suitably and the production of heirs should begin forthwith. Ideally heirs that are favourable to yourself unless you would have it be otherwise.

While I doubt the rest of this letter is of significance to you, my dearest and most honourable Underlord, I feel obligated to tell you regardless. I am loyal to yourself and your house and with your sponsorship I would feel amiss denying you such information.

Bastion is a young city and inexperienced with the game of politics. Its noble families are scared and weak in both influence and resolve. Here, mages are powerful and even still they are far from adored. It's a simple game to work Xyphon into the foundations of this land, even if it is technically the lands of house Touryan. Creating a monopoly on power in the city is exactly the sort of strategy I'm working towards. If you have any objections to my doing so, inform me before I continue to champion what I believe are your interests and the interests of those in your house.

Underlord Alder has also scared many of the people in Bastion. While he is a man of Bastion, and his heritage is known, house Touryan's support of him has made his wrongdoings representative of Muurdaan. I had initially intended to work myself into an advisory position to help him represent both his own interests and your own but he has proved problematic in that regard. He has shown himself to be stubborn, focused on control above public favour, and manages to apply a forceful hammer even when working with a fine silk. If he is not married soon I fear the people will deem him inhuman and consider all of Muurdaan to be the same.

I would also like to make a personal request. I cannot claim it's even beneficial to house Xyphon. There was a woman in the candidate roster, her name eludes me as I have been forced to remember so many as of late. She was a commoner girl, a woman with great promise. I would like to have her. I believe her presence in Bastion could ease my burdens and she would be capable of quick insertion if you need to form a union with a high power or potent individual in the city. However those options are entirely up to your discretion and I would only be having her as company and from personal interest.

I shall write to you once I learn of something you must know or when the bride arrives for her wedding.
Your loyal servant,
Daughter Isis Al-aziri.

Excerpt from The Man in the Shadows: The Life and Times of Leo Alder
Power is a burden. More so when fools emerge and drag not only you but your entire city into a situation beyond your control. I didn't want to be dragged out into the gods damn forefront! I wanted to happily do my work in the background. Be a peddler in influence and favors while I pursued my arts within the confines of my tower in the spire district. What I instead am forced to do is seize the momentum of schemes already set in motion. The Muurdaan come to our lands, intent on taking it and so I do what I must to ensure the locals are ruled by a local.

I find it amusing as I watch those who come here scrabble about for scraps of power. The city's new High Priestess is one such figure who seems to underestimate me. I have given her patronage but she seems to continuously fail to grasp her antics at worming her way into more power is not amusing. Bastion is the property of House Alder and the new government that has been getting established. Some of the Houses respect this as I understand we area client of a Capital House due to Touryan. We also have built alliance with House Kishergan for their own magical aptitude. I allowed this Xyphon priest into the city and sponsor her position to have another House supporting Bastion, including an arranged marriage.... of all the things I never would have considered.

The bride I selected was one I feel will make Bastion prosper in her own way. We will talk in the days to come and I hope she can come to appreciate her status with me. The trust I intend on putting into her to make Bastion's military power expand. I need a partner in making the city grow. I hope our wedding can repair damages done to my reputation. Blood was drawn and the dead made to march in fear of war... I almost bound devils into a war party. Elements in the city act without telling me which almost could have lead to a damn summoning! Now the forest sleeps for 200 years while I contemplate the need perhaps for golems with saw blades...

I must watch those in this city closely. The Touryan's mouthpiece here dares to lecture me on things he knows little truly about. Typical arrogance of their people. Something I must just tolerate and mock when they elect to insult me. Mind you I am happy to return the favor such as discovering another potential Lich in the working because I elected to terminate a rogue sorcerer over giving him a 'chance' like I was given. Hilarious. I now have two roving egos in my city, this Touryan scion and the Xyphon priestess. I can only hope my wife is enjoyable with the intellect she is shown to have. While our backgrounds differ, she must have a creativity to her own arts that I express in mine. A strange pining for someone to rely upon and confide in outside of my merchant friend. My only friend? Maybe. I don't know if I have friends any more. The Muurdaan all try to stab one another or act like children in their politics. I think the one I confide in and have trusted is falling for the Touryan. I suppose all I can do is hope for the best.

I must get back to my labs even as i toil to repair my image in the city. I need the release of experimentation. Yet I know I also must help my people to appreciate the new era before them. The city will grow and prosper from what actions I have taken. Lumber will flow and soon I think we may strike a new vein of minerals that our dead will mine and flow into the city to help uplift us. The trick will be keeping the nibbling nuisance of Muurdaan politics from hindering the city's growth.

Excerpt from an accounting ledger, found somewhere on Hips' and Hops.

Muurdaan Capital, two ships
Attolia, two ships, one sloop (p)
Port Cesus, two ships
Brummelmarc (in war), research needed
Port Liberty, two ships, one sloop (p)
Lastlands, two ships, two sloops (p)
Rockfall, (monster filled) research needed

Hi Tam. If you're reading this, I'm either dead or every other book in the world has been burned down to a crisp. Either way, I'm really sorry.

I'll also be thankful if you don't read on.

I will not lie to you. Things are not well in Bastion. That's the reason I'll be asking mom to take you away with her while we fight against the Lich. You can see it in on how people walk more hunched down the street, or on how everyone is at hair-trigger all the time. People are scared. Some people don't even come to the shop anymore, haha! But I'm sure you've noticed. You have always been aware of what was going on around you. Since you were little; you've always been really smart. I know you think I'm too clueless to say that... truth is, like you, I also see what happens around. It's just that most of the time, I can't bring myself to act on it. I can't change what has already happened. As much as I'll like a part... we both know there's people better qualified for that. I want to help, and as much as I want to, that's about it. But I will not leave them, though. I will not say I know everything that's going on, I'm self-conscious enough to know that wouldn't be true. But, if anything, I think I've found good people. People... who care. Leo, Pasha, Lorek, even Aziri, you can't not say they're evil with a straight face because the truth is, in their own ways, they care. For the city. For the people. If anything ever happens to me, they'll be looking out for you. Don't forget what you want nor who you are. People can come and take the city... Many governments will come and go. But please, don't let them bring you down. I hope I've left enough to give you and mom the calm life I hope.

If I died, it was fighting alongside these people. Please, may you trust them as I did. And I'm sorry I've failed you. I really am.

(PD: I just saw you trying a costume for the festival. The right eye is a little lopsided. I love you, little bard)

With the arrival of the Cultists upon Pasha's doorstep, he took the time to study these odd figures, these mad, insane, and yet charismatic pious zealots. Such religious fervor was rare these days, but was not a strange sight in the centuries prior, in the founding myths and legends of the Empire, of the continent, and of man.

Excerpt from the treatise on Madness and Divinity by Pasha Bakur Touryan:

Since the dawn of man and the Eternal Empire, a notable trend can be observed. Horrible plagues and illnesses have dropped with the decrease in religious fervor in the continent. Yet, madness and insanity has seemingly taken its place. The dawn of madness on the horizon of the Eternal Empire is first perceptible in the decay of divine symbolism; as if that world, whose network of spiritual meanings was so close-knit, had begun to unravel, showing faces whose meaning was no longer clear except in the forms of madness. The Divine forms persist for a time, but little by little they grow silent, cease to speak, to remind, to teach anything but their own fantastic presence, transcending all possible language (though still familiar to the eye). Freed from wisdom and from the teaching that organized it, the image begins to gravitate about its own madness. Paradoxically, this liberation derives from a proliferation of meaning, from a self-multiplication of significance, weaving relationships so numerous, so intertwined, so rich, that they can no longer be deciphered except in the esoterism of knowledge. Things themselves become so burdened with attributes, signs, allusions that they finally lose their own form. Meaning is no longer read in an immediate perception, the figure no longer speaks for itself; between the knowledge which animates it and the form into which it is transposed, a gap widens. It is free for the dream.

On all sides, madness fascinates man. The fantastic images it generates are not fleeting appearances that quickly disappear from the surface of things. It rules all that is easy, joyous, frivolous in the world. It is madness, folly, which makes men "sport and rejoice," as it has given the gods "Genius, Beauty, Bacchus, Silenus, and the gentle guardian of gardens. All within it is brilliant surface: no enigma is concealed. By a strange paradox, what is born from the strangest delirium was already hidden, like a secret, like an inaccessible truth, in the bowels of the earth. When man deploys the arbitrary nature of his madness, he confronts the dark necessity of the world; the animal that haunts his nightmares and his nights of privation is his own nature, which will lay bare hell's pitiless truth; the vain images of blind idiocy-such are the world's Magna Scientia; and already, in this disorder, in this mad universe, is prefigured what will be the cruelty of the finale. In such images-and this is doubtless what gives them their weight, what imposes such great coherence on their fantasy-the Eternal Empire has expressed what it apprehended of the threats and secrets of the world.

During the same period, the literary, philosophical, and moral themes of madness are in an altogether different vein. The Pre-Imperial Ages had given madness, or folly, a place in the hierarchy of vices. Beginning with the reign of Overlord Xerses the First, it is customarily ranked among the wicked soldiers of the psychomachy. It figures, at the Capital as at Port Cestus, among the evil soldiery, and is among the twelve dualities that dispute the sovereignty of the human soul: Faith and Idolatry, Hope and Despair, Charity and Avarice, Chastity and Lust, Prudence and Folly, Patience and Anger, Gentleness and Harshness, Concord and Discord, Obedience and Rebellion, Perseverance and Inconstancy, Fortitude and Cowardice, Humility and Pride. In the Eternal Empire, Folly leaves this modest place and comes to the fore.

Whereas according to Hugues de Saint-Victoria the genealogical tree of the Vices, that of the Founder, had pride as its root, Folly now leads the joyous throng of all human weaknesses. Uncontested coryphaeus, she guides them, sweeps them on, and names them: "Recognize them here, in the group of my companions .... She whose brows are drawn is Philautia (Self-Love). She whom you see laugh with her eyes and applaud , with her hands is Colacia (Flattery). She who seems half asleep is Lethe (Forgetfulness). She who leans upon her elbows and folds her hands is Misoponia (Sloth). She who is crowned with roses and anointed with perfume is Hedonia (Sensuality). She whose eyes wander without seeing is Anoia (Stupidity). She whose abundant flesh has the hue of flowers is Tryphe (Indolence). And here among these young women are two gods: the god of Good Cheer and the god of Deep Sleep. The absolute privilege of Folly is to reign over whatever is bad in man. But does she not also reign indirectly over all the good he can do: over ambition, that makes wise politicians; over avarice, that makes wealth grow; over indiscreet curiosity, that inspires philosophers and men of learning?

This world of the early Empire is strangely hospitable, in all senses, to madness. Madness is here, at the heart of things and of men, an ironic sign that misplaces the guideposts between the real and the chimerical, barely retaining the memory of the great tragic threats-a life more disturbed than disturbing, an absurd agitation in society, the mobility of reason. But new requirements are being generated:

"A hundred and a hundred times have I taken up my lantern, Seeking, at high noon..."

Last edited:
Letter to Underlord Touryan, dispatched with all haste:

Underlord Touryan,

Forgive my lack of correspondence but I assume that you have left myself and my House to our own devices while we bring a new order and stability to Bastion. I imagine if something required to be said, it would have been considering your own nephew's continued operation here.

I would not bother you lest the situation was more urgent than other matters we are already dealing with locally. I imagine you have already received word from your nephew, but I would be remiss as the head of a Client House not to inform you myself as well of the impending invasion of the Vorus Thresh. We only happened upon this knowledge from uprooting an orc fortification found near the mountains in our region. I admit my interest in the mountains is far more economic but it now becomes a strategic issue. We have acquired the loyalty of the local goblin tribes in the area for mining purposes, but they also provided us with the knowledge of this orcish holding.

The holding itself has been burnt to the ground and destroyed, all orcs with it. Along with this though, various evidence and interrogation of spirits have confirmed this holding was the Vanguard of a incoming invasion through the mountains. I realize House Touryan has many things preoccupying its manpower and resources as a Capital House. Yet I must still make the attempt to request aid while I rally the local legions and Bastion's own assets to attempt to thwart this. If I must work with what I have, I understand as well for House Touryan has already provided much to myself and Bastion.

I must voice my concern on the invasion from a more political perspective though. This behavior seems odd from what I have learned of the Vorus Thresh. I fear perhaps other interests are at work in aiming the horde towards Bastion if only due to its size compared to their usual targets and the efforts they seem intent on expending. Certain names come to mind after having dealt with the agent of another House who sought to murder your nephew some time ago, but I will leave that unsaid as I'm sure you know of whom I speak. It is simply my intent to pass on my concerned suspicions.

May this letter find you well,

Leo Alder
Underlord of House Alder
Lord Magister of Bastion

A letter written by the sub-regent of House Touryan, advisor to the Underlord.

Underlord Touryan has received your correspondence and is pleased with the initiative and independence the great city of Bastion has taken with respect to the many threats which compromise it.

It is understood that Bastion is plagued with problems.

The Ruins.

The Lich that claims silent rulership even over your own authority.

And yes, Indeed the Vorus Thresh.

In Addititon to Bastion's own forces, The empire has earmarked 6 of it's own legions already to the security and the safety of bastion. As a favor to The Underlord's Nephew an additional force, the Scintillating Blue warrior Prime, have been sent to your region to help you deal with the horde threat.

Bastion already has the support of the empire in a time the empire is stretched thin with expansion. It is the Underlord's hope that you spend the lives of the eternal empire's soldiers wisely, and that it can soon be said that Bastion is truly under your peaceful control.

For now, Bastion is a new cheek turned into the sun's light of the Muurdain capital, but it is pitted with rot from within -- and for now also pressed from threats without.

The Underlord looks forward to writing his own letter when it can be said you truly are a master of Bastion's Domain.

For now seek solace that the Underlord's confidence remains with you, especially on your diplomatic de-escalation with the forests.

Pride to house Alder, Eternal Client of House Touryan.

Glory to House Touryan, Client of the Eternal Empire.

With hopes for your glory and expanding control where it presently is found lacking,

Sub-Regent Menelecnir, Servant-Prostrate to the Underlord Touryan Eternal.

Crocodile Crocodile

A Bonded Package arrives at the Capital"

"Underlord Touryan,

It is with great consternation that I write this letter. As you've likely read or heard from the reports, I have recently discovered an orcish scroll which contained marching orders for a group of some 200 orcs in the mountains to the northeast of Bastion. These orcs were an expeditionary force of the Vorus Thresh, a grand orcish coalition of numerous clans and tribes. Upon further inspection of the scroll, I learned of their intent to attack and invade the Imperial lands come summer when the ice melts in the mountains. Among the reports is a direct translation of the scroll and further analysis and conclusions I have formed about this orcish menace.

What seems to be more alarming is that even more recently, a spy was detected in the Castle. Unfortunately, attempts to catch the spy failed despite best attempts my myself and my men and companions. I have also submitted detailed reports on that event as along with copies of all the evidence. I must ask for your forgiveness in this matter as I know that the spy represents a great threat to House Touryan and the Empire. However, it has become clear to me that we must be particularly wary of treachery, and that those who are loyal must be properly rewarded and recognized. I hope that despite this failure that you will find the information and my reports useful to you and that you will be able to take informed actions to better the positions of House Touryan and of the Empire and that you will take my recommendations and requests to heart.

For now, I plan the potential conflict with the Orcish army, but as always, the best victory is the one where a battle is not even needed. The Orcish War Council represents the best and strongest of the Orcs. If they were to be eliminated, then I suspect that the clans would slide back to their inter-tribal and clan conflicts. The question now is how will this be achieved? As a precaution, I will continue to also work on fortifying our side of the valley in the event that battle is inevitable. While I usually ask for little, I trust your judgement on what is needed to help the Empire, and generally do not ask for assistance unless it is crucial. Thus, I thank you for the command of the Scintillating Blue Warrior Prime legion. It is a great honor to be given command of such a unit and I am sure it will serve us well. I hope that my recent and continued reports will continue to provide you with the information and recommendations needed to make the best decisions for the Empire.

Pasha Bakur Touryan"

A letter from Daughter Isis Al-aziri to Underlord Xyphon

It is imperative that this letter reaches you and that you are informed of my recent discoveries.

A thousand pardons for the brief nature of this letter but it is better left short and concise.
I am ever grateful of your decisions and the trust you have placed in me. The spy you have blessed me with has proved themselves second to none in their field and have provided me with a healthy vine through which I may hear most things. Through this vine I have heard of a suspiciously successful artificer and agent of Touryan, Artificer Bavan Naske, searching for tomes and scripture pertaining to the ancient dragon newts.

At first this information had seemed unimportant but intriguing, and with a little research I managed to receive specifics as to what he was searching for. The recurring themes of his literary interests appeared to adhere to the rule that it must cover the topics of ancient dragon newt technology, and many of those focused almost exclusively on unique suits of armour from their prime. It wasn't hard to deduce that this interest was tied to a spire and site of many ancient mechanisms - all authentic and dating from the same era.
When I returned to the site to further investigate my findings revealed that a dragon fossil had seemingly vanished. The area was also flooded with contractors hired or otherwise working for the same Bavan Naske.

With some time to come to a logical conclusion and using reasoning of what I know about house Touryan and the nature of these collected items, it is very much possible that they could be seeking to implement ancient dragon newt technology in their war efforts by using the fossils and what information they can gather to reproduce these suits or unlock the secrets of them.
It is without a doubt however that I inform you there is at least one suit of its nature, likely identical to the suit in house Hegemon's possession, in the possession of General Pasha Touryan or his agent Artificer Bavan Naske.

Additionally I wish to inform you that Haecho has arrived at the city of Bastion along with Ferelath. Ferelath has asserted herself in the city already - as your folios suggested she would had she been a more ideal bride, and has had herself a well known figure within the merchant's guild thanks to her business potential and her direct involvement in the battle with Sigrix the leviathan. I was concerned both of our presences in the battle may draw unwanted attention from house Touryan and elected to watch from the shoreline, a decision that proved to be for the best in hindsight.

Your loyal servant,
Daughter Isis Al-aziri.

To shining daughter Isis Al-aziri,

Placing you in bastion as an asset to the growing empire is a boon we cannot underestimate. We must see the moves of our rivals far ahead of them if we are to adapt and overcome those who would think to oppose us. Our Trust has not been misplaced, and we are most grateful for your continued vigil in this capacity.

It has come to OUR attention via channels left unsaid that there is a sister suit of dragon newt armor that was NOT returned to the capital. Any information on this suit would be much appreciated by house Xyphon, and of course if you were somehow able to secure it, all the better. Just the fact that Hegemon's suit is no longer unique is a prize to us -- you should see them scramble to maintain their place in the intelligence and arms race of the houses as this is a significant blow to their security and superiority. We love this. You have done very well indeed making this knowledge public to us, and even smaller houses rejoice at the shift of power this will bring. It is an exiting time for the capital and the empire, and we have only you to blame for this excitement. You are to be richly rewarded should you choose to return to the capital.

Word has already reached us also of the Brutish Vorus Thresh heading through the mountains towards Bastion. We have assets that are not heading east in our war of expansion -- so you should consider what assets Xyphon may provide you to bring destruction upon the Orcs and of course glory to you and house Xyphon. Already high priest of the city we see no reason why you should not be seen as the city's savior as well. We can send up to six legions if you request them, however if you feel your supremacy can be attained through other means, request something else but whatever assets the house has at it's disposal we will do our best to put into your hands.

Command from the Eternal Cathedral is as important to the public (and the filthy rabble beneath them) as any ruler -- your place is valued and your work is important. Just as the people must be controlled and their eyes brought to the light of house Xyphon, so too must the gods favor us. Our power in the capital is growing. This is in no small thanks to the gods. This is in no small thanks to you, Isis Al-aziri.

It is worth noting that we have discovered scrying within the bounds of the city by certain means (particularly the acashic record) -- is no longer viable within the city limits. This will make it harder to spy from afar and make your position all the more important. Despite this we have confidence that your more conventional methods of espionage will undoubtedly overcome. Our rivals and our would-be/will-be ruler of bastion are kept well on their toes... and I am sure you have no small place in thanking for that.

Should you need wealth from the capital, our coffers are open. Keep the fools in line and let those who are wise learn to know their place. House Xyphon is counting on you to the same degree it has supreme faith in your abilities and accomplishments so far.

Find the remaining suit and do as much as you can to glean information about it. It is not outside our capacity to fabricate one of these instruments if you or other agents can get close enough to examine it's function and elegance. Xyphon does not NEED a Dragon newt war suit. As such, we only think it exceedingly humorous and threatening were we to actually attain one.

Please find enclosed with this package a collection of teas from throughout the empire's contested territories and soon-to-be conquests. May you not taste the blood that was spilled in their obtainance, only the calm and pleasure that comes with the rewards Xyphon reaps in the shadow of it's terrors.

You are indeed a child of Xyphon, and you are loved by this master of the Capital as long as you continue to serve with the reputation you have come to have expected of you.

Match the faith House Xyphon has in you, with faith the common people have in their gods. For even the gods are instruments to house Xyphon. With your continued efforts, one day the gods will have little to offer house Xyphon -- but we will have no shortage of things to offer the gods.

Eternal might in your smallest whims,

Underlord Xyphon, with pride unlimited.

PS -- We have noted the efforts by House Narvik to see the destabilization or destruction of Bastion for their own warped ambitions. Your cowing of the angel Traductus was a keystone in exposing their treachery, and House Xyphon has retaliated, viciously. Seek to unravel whatever remaining schemes they have in play, for afterwards there will be little more to hear of them in bastion. Were it appropriate, we would send a bag of Narvik heads to your doorstep to drive clearer the point. But you should know enough you had a hand in many of the dying, even indirectly. I hope this knowledge brings you additional pleasure.

Last edited:
Encoded Message Dispatched to Underlord Touryan

Underlord Touryan,

I am sending this intelligence to you as I find it would be of use to you if only for your own needs and to demonstrate your investment thus far has not been a waste. I realize you may already possess some of this due to your own capabilities, but secondary confirmation is still of use with such information, I imagine.

The city has been actively targeted by House Narvik. Two of their otherworldy agents have now been dealt with. One is a Fallen Angel known as Tradactus that I fear was attempting to infiltrate Castle Touryan. I will be informing Pasha Bakur Touryan as well after I am sure this is safely dispatched to you. The creature is thankfully not operating in Bastion any longer, but its purpose was to sow chaos and break down the trust between myself, Pasha Touryan and the Xyphon priestess Isis Al-Aziri.

It has been banished, but did confirm it was sent by House Narvik.

More importantly, the Leviathan was discovered to be a Narvik action as well. The creature was infected by a Plague Demon that had likely mutated it with its infestation. The beast operated as a three pronged attack, posing as a leviathan by itself... but it attempted to dump its numerous and ravenous offspring into our water. Thanks to our efforts and obviously the array of Touryan and Xyphon vessels, they were halted and slaughtered. The greater issue became the corrupted flesh of the Leviathan. It was here I discovered the Plague Demon. Many beasts converged to eat the carrion and it was spreading to them. The potential for that would have been disastrous due to the sheer capacity for the demon to spread itself.

At much effort on my own part, I was able to send the monstrosity back to where it came from along with all the contaminated beasts. I have since then confirmed it was a Narvik summoning.

The recent spying events and discovery of some efforts on my own Manse have forced me to take measures to protect myself and Bastion. Hopefully it will slow efforts since I am realistic and know they cannot be truly halted.

Again, I hope this information is of use. Consider it in thanks for House Touryan teaching me how the Empire truly operates. I am putting the lessons to excellent use.

With Regards,

Leo Alder
Underlord of House Alder
Lord Magister of Bastion

Underlord Alder,

Your missive was received unintercepted and its contents relayed to the Underlord. Steps are being taken to punish Narvik for putting it's ambitions above that of the collective houses. Your evidence, damning as it is, will make justification of the violence and sanction all the more understood as necessary.

It may comfort you to know that house Touryan is currently very happy with where you sit, and how you demonstrate yourself to be a paragon of leadership defending your city and it's subjects from that which threatens it.

That said, House Touryan would rather not see the methods employed by your lordship being the raw calling out of demons by their true names. Replacing you would be highly detrimental to the balance of things in the west as Touryan desires them. It would also be disappointing if there was not enough left behind in your demise to properly bury.

Let us know if you need assassins and spies. When we are done bloodying the nose of the Narvik, several blooded agents can be sent to you.

Warmly,

Vice Admiral Jormungand - at the request of the imperial regent.

Crocodile Crocodile

Bastion's ports opened to the exotic junks of the east and Imperial master-ships of war -- today was the day of his majesty the Lord Magister Leo Alder's wedding to his promised bride of the Far Empire of Yumi, delivered to him by the ships and the hands of the Great house Xyphon -- her glorious pristineness, Hisoo Haecho. Not just some costume ball for the spire district, the Wedding of the Lord Magister, with the city now open to trade and spared apparent outside threat, the entire city was brought in on the rejoicing of the event. From the humblest drumrusher in the northern districts to the most lowly Gaol'er in the south. Ale flowed and bounties of imported food were spread in every plaza and park of the city.

The Garden District Sang and Danced in it's entirety, and vast displays of magic from the colleges lit up every city block. From the Harbor, the Ships of the far east launched decorative explosive missiles into the air over the city, filling Bastion with a daylight-resembling fireworks display. Gifts and goods from as far as Lastwall to the west and Lastlands to the East were on bold display and shared among the populace.

Heavenly lights gleamed from every window along the street of the gods, and the Eternal Cathedral, and all the Cathedrals beneath it released blessings and the aroma of sanctified incense.

The spire district poured out in roads of gold and silver -- nobles among craftsmen, a day truly for all -- The Legions, in full pageantry, paraded the main streets and beat great drums and blew titanic horns. Spice flowed, wine poured, and all the treasures of the great city for this one night laid bare -- The greatest treasures of the museum were marched on great litters, and the halls of the dwarfholds rang with bawdy and raucous song. Even the ratkin below celebrated such was the overrun of goodies and pleasures to be had in the dankness below.

The college competed for the vastness of wonders as the ceremony, city-wide, began in earnest. Underlord Alder exited the front of the manse as his betrothed disembarked her ship, and they slowly walked the streets of the city, ever winding towards the eldest and most beautiful park in the center of the city's heart -- Hisoo, dressed head to toe in shimmering linnorm of white and blue, unfurled her ceremonial wings and was levitated high over the rooftops and her entourage -- a full one thousand samurai protectors, plus retainers and artists of every description. Trains of treasure were rolled behind both the bride and groom, With Trophies of Muurdaan conquests and war banners held high and swaying in glory to the Eternal Empire.

It was here in the center of the city that Hisoo "landed" before the Underlord Alder and they said their vows. The ceremonial shedding of the princesses wings signifying her elevation to Queen. Haecho smiled knowingly at Alder throughout the ceremony -- her black/blue eyes offsetting the flush of her skin.

Towering cakes were brought forth and shared. The most elden vintages spilled with freedom. Small but everburning lights handed out from the mage college were in the hand of every child and youth as they were waved and tossed about. At the apex of the spectacle, some dropped to their knees and shouted to the heavens, others folded their arms in quiet prayer, and others still laughed as they had never laughed before.

"A NEW DYNASTY BEGINS TODAY, ALL WHO CALL THEMSELVES BASTIEN WILL KNOW IT! HAIL HOUSE ALDER OF BASTION, NEWEST SHINING JEWEL IN THE CROWN OF THE ETERNAL EMPIRE! LET ALL LOOK TO SEE AND BE FOUND WANTING! THEIR LONG LIVES OR ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS ASHEN IN THE FACE OF THIS UNION AND IT'S ETERNAL LIGHT! FOR SUCH IS THE ENDLESS GLORY OF MAN, MY PEOPLE -- MAY ALDER RISE EVER HIGHER IN POWER AS THE EMPIRE RISES, AND LET ALL KNOW THIS IS THE EMPIRE OF MAN."

Alder's Generals and Marshalls conducted dizzing military maneuvers with cavalry and infantry, and the full power of the city was blended with all of it's beauty and luxuries, Food and drink, thought short, could never be guessed that day. The party raged and thundered throughout the night, and still burned for days in the spire district and unchecked throughout the city... until at last all was at an end.

As beautiful a couple as ever could be seen -- Astral Starlight trailed them wherever they went as they shared in every corner of the celebration, from great bar, to great ball, To feast and sport and game. A full week of festivities filled every nook in the city. No expense was spared.

It was said the day of the wedding, every trace of infernal influence in the city of Bastion was silenced. From the smallest pet imp to even the demonic servants of the blood college -- every trace of devil and demon faded from the town almost at once. Holiness and light bathed the city, the Eternal Cathedral a beacon above the city eclipsed only by the Floating Castle and the Great Manse itself.

It was seen as a divine approval on the union of Haecho and Alder that there was such obvious purity left in the wake of the ceremonies. The Lord Magister, Herebefore Feared, walked among his people and his new Bride charmed them. Morale, Spirit and Happiness in the city elevated well beyond the celebration. Even the mustard tasted better.

None could deny that Bastion was the Empire's now. Touryan, Xyphon, Keshurgen and Hegemon delegations hung their effigies and symbols, all beneath the Great Sigils of house Alder. Bastion's past was put behind it, the present was sweet, and with the aid of the gods, and a little help from some heroes, it might just escape it's future...

...Amen.

An encoded letter from Daughter Isis Al-aziri to Underlord Xyphon

I write to inform you of our most recent findings here in Bastion using the code we established during my last visit to you and your house.

While I was in the Capital with your house during the negotiations with Hegemon there was an attempt on my life that claimed the life of one of my inner circle. One Hamia Rahal. If at all possible I would ask of you a sentimental favour, that being that her father - who's lineage shall perish with him - be offered a small token to honour the sacrifice of his daughter to preserve my life so that I may continue to champion the interests of house Xyphon.

My spies have informed me of a number of recent events also that cause a troubling in my heart. General Pasha Bakur Touryan has attempted to declare himself a living god and in his efforts has radicalised a section of the Bastien populace into worshipping him directly. I believe he is now holding this position to attempt to usurp his uncle Underlord Touryan but there is the possibility, as with the dragon, that he acts on his Underlord's request. Regardless his followers stem from a cult founded on anti-Imperial sentiments and are likely to still carry such sentimental values about fighting against the empire and its interests.
General Touryan's decisions are directly challenging my authority as the high priestess of Bastion and while I have planted Xyphon seeds in all walks of life here in the city, it is without a doubt that his attempts to become a Nomarch of Bastion will undermine some of the positions we previously held uncontested.

There has been no success in discovering the location of the dragon egg I fear and while I do believe if it were in Bastion I'd have found it, I cannot realistically rule out the chances that it is hidden deep within the bowels of his flying castle - which is know fueled by some strange power which I have not seen prior to this castle. The castle appears to feel and think for itself. My agents have gone so far as to declare it alive but if I would join them in that assessment is still undecided. It is certainly an issue however.

Underlord Leo Alder's union with our bride Hisoo Haecho has gone better than expected with not a single dispute occurring between the seemingly adoring couple. Whether this is simply a public performance to appear as though they are happy or not is something I yet lack insight on however and if the situation changes I shall inform you immediately. What strikes me as odd however is how in our profiles she was named Haecho Birakumo and not Hisoo Haecho. A mistake formed in translation I suspect?

Not all is lost and bland I am glad to report however. Miss Faraleth's efforts in the merchant guild have been a raving success and it is now with great satisfaction that I can report she has begun to earn the intrigue of previously undecided and unaligned merchants in the guild. She is a keen and aware woman who I hope to one day see guide the guild into a brighter, more Xyphon aligned future.

Bastion has officially been declared as devil and demon free, a feat I had not expected to come while I reigned as high priestess.
It is without a doubt thanks to the increased presence of Xyphon in this city that the gods have blessed us so, and for that I offer you nothing but my thanks.

Your loyal servant,
Daughter Isis Al-aziri.

A letter from Daughter Isis Al-aziri to Underlord Touryan

To the respectable and feared Underlord Touryan,

Forgive my intrusion and pardon whatever time I steal from you with this letter.

I shall make this letter brief as your time is precious and Touryan is a house of action and not wordplay. House Touryan is potentially at risk of internal strife.

General Pasha Bakur Touryan, your nephew and ambassador for your house in Bastion, has declared himself a living god in a bid to reach Nomarch status. In his following are radical Bastien natives who previously planned to overthrow the Imperial authorities at play in this fair city and planned to bring harm to your holdings and your vassal Leo Alder.

General Pasha Bakur Touryan has also expressed a recent disinterest in interacting with others in the city and has spent an abnormal amount of resources fortifying and enhancing his personal holdings in the city. Perhaps stricken with paranoia or more malicious intents, I believe his recent behaviours are sufficient evidence to conclude that he is at risk of jeopardising Touryan's position in the city and losing substantial holdings.

Furthermore he has never, to the extent of my knowledge, openly praised or supported the decisions of Underlord Touryan. From my time consoling people who have troubles left unspoken or unresolved, this leads me to believe he may have deep seeded reservations and potentially disdain for Underlord Touryan which is cause for alarm without the rest of these aligning factors.

For the social cohesion of Bastion as well as the political image of house Touryan, I hereby make a formal request that house Touryan investigate his actions and evaluate if he is fit to maintain his current position in Bastion. While I wish no ill on the soul of such a kind man, I fear he is a danger if not to your image then to himself.

May the pantheon and the god of vengeance bless you now and in all of your endeavours.

A concerned high priestess,
Daughter Isis Al-aziri.

A letter from Daughter Isis Al-aziri to Kashim Rahal

To Kashim Rahal,

By the time this letter reaches you it will likely be days old, but of the evening of the horrible events that have transpired I force myself to sit in silence and write to you.

Old friend, I have failed to uphold the promises I swore to you. Upon my return from the Capital to the city of Bastion I was informed of the events leading up to the death of your daughter, Hamia Rahal. It is with great pain and a heavy heart that I write to you and I pray you nothing but blessings to ease your pain at the loss of your daughter and my close friend.

Hamia was chosen to uphold my duties while I was in the Capital as your daughter was one of my most trusted inner circle and a woman I knew I could rely upon. I trusted her as the desert trusts the sun to rise. In my absence she performed her duties to the best of her abilities and was doing exceptionally. I cannot stress how capable a daughter you raised.

In an attempt on my persons a charged letter was sent with a counterfeit seal from me. In an act of unrivaled treachery your daughter was caught by mistake and killed in my stead. My office was completely destroyed and your Hamia's beautiful face was almost unrecognizable. When I saw her I wept until I couldn't and since then this world has seemed duller. The colours of my garden seem grey and the rays of the sunset tonight are insulting bland since her passing. As though the colours of this world know they could not compare to that which has left it.

Her killer has been brought to justice and denied the last rites that your daughter had spent her life to earn. Hamia's remains have been carefully laid to rest in a secure container and are awaiting transport to the Capital where they may join her plot beside her mother. I understand it was a plot you intended for you but it was no secret that Hamia's time on this world was destined to be shorter than yours. Like a perfect moment, she was to fill our hearts with joy but to leave us all far too soon.

If you will it, I shall return to the Capital for the burial of your daughter and my dear friend.

Love and deepest condolences,
Isis Al-Aziri.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back