Chosen

Khalroth

The lurking Lone Wolf
@kinadra

In a land where creatures of immense strength, cunning, and terror roam, few are as well known or coveted as the mighty dragons. However, over the centuries, many of this proud species have died off and those who remain are in hiding in their own lairs or territory. These few remaining dragons rarely make contact with the other species that share the realm, fearing extinction or captivity by the masses of magic using or weapon wielding races of elves and humans.

After many long years, a group of elves and humans made a organization that wished to work together with dragons or even raise them if they were trusted with one of the rare dragon eggs. To achieve this, individuals of the organization must travel to one of the lairs or territories of a dragon and either make a pact with the mighty beast in order to work together as partners or earn the right to take an egg to hatch and raise to help repopulate the species and have a partner from birth.

Leana woke up with a start, a nightmare ravaging her mind. Her home burning down again, the screams, the person in a cloak saving her but no one else. Like the embers from the flames burned her eyes and nose that night, tears stung her eyes. She wiped them away quickly, and dressed, going outside to the little monastery. This temple was home to that very organization, and it was her turn to go out to where the Dragons nested. It wasn't an easy trip. Danger was everywhere, and dehydration never far off, but it was like a right of passage.

After not too long, she was off, no one with her. Normally they head off with groups, but her surrogate father decided that she would be one to head out on her own. No one trusted her there anyways. They didn't know what she was. Not Human. Not Elven. Magically inclined. She didn't care anymore though. It was only like tapping on glass at this point, and she knew she was safe behind it's shiny transparency.

In not too long, she was at the foot of their nest, a large elder dragon guarding the entrance. She gulped, and showed him her necklace, the symbol of the organization, and he nodded slowly, allowing her to pass. At this point though, once inside and surrounded by dragons, she didn't know what to do. No one really told her. They all just said, "You will know."

Puffing smoke out of his nostrils, Osiris lifts his head from where he had laid it and looks out of his personal lair in the farthest corner of the nest, being an isolated dragon because of his type. The coal black scales that cover his body mark him as a especially dangerous breed of dragon that not only can breathe fire but also spit acid. Standing up on his feet, Osiris shakes his body and stretches wings, loosening the muscles the traverse the length of his scaled body before walking over to the food store in order to feed.

Hearing a commotion from the entrance to the nest, he looks over to see the guardian dragon step aside for a small individual. Osiris swallows the mouthful of meat before he freezes as his senses feel a pull that comes from deep inside his core. He slowly turns completely in the direction of the new arrival and directs his golden stare at her. He forces himself to stay put instead of stalking towards her and waits to see what she will do.

Leana looked around nervously, some dragons looking at her like she was food, and man did she look like prey. She was scared at this point. Dragons were huge! Bigger than she had thought they were. Some were her size, whereas others were the size of houses. Leana tried not to meet anyone's eyes as they tried to meet her's. She still didn't know what to do, so she found a nice, small rock, and sat on it.

She took out her drawing pad, and began scanning for a dragon she might want to draw, and met Osiris's gaze. She shivered from her core, and decided to draw him. Leana was an amazing artist, able to draw just about anything with incredible accuracy. This included Osiris. She even got his golden colored eyes right. He was a big dragon, and black too, one of the ones that no one ever gets to be with. The black ones are the scariest, and usually the meanest of them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fanged smile shows as Osiris smells the fear that the girl is putting off as she looks around at all of his fellow dragons. However, as several of the dragons that are observing her start to move towards her with the intent to eat her or hurt her, Osiris growls and acid drips from his mouth. Mind- talking to the dragons that are advancing, he snarls, "You will not touch that creature. She is not your next meal nor is she a toy for you to tear apart. If you take one more step towards her, you will regret it." Osiris tail lashes out at the closest of the dragons that had advanced, scoring a scratch on a hind leg so that they get the message.

After making sure no other dragons were going to make a move on her, Osiris looks back at her and watches her scribble on something as she keeps glancing at him. Getting tired of fighting the pull, he finally starts walking towards her, moving slowly so as to not be as threatening as he could be. Speaking in her mind, so as to not scare her with his voice, he asks, "What are you doing little one? Why are you here?"

Leana's eyes widened as she looked down, and when she looked back up, the dragon that she was drawing was so much closer. The telepathic speaking, she had been warned about, but it still kind of freaked her out. "I... Um... Hi?" she said, a questioning tone to her voice as though she wasn't sure what was okay to say. The small girl blushed, and looked down at her near perfect drawing of the dragon in front of her. She showed it to him silently, looking down, embarrassed.

She shifted a little, and spoke softly, "I didn't mean to start to draw you. I'm sorry. I love to draw, and you look so amazing. I'm here from the organization. My pilgrimage. I was adopted into their ranks, and now it came time that I come here. So here I am... with a giant dragon standing in front of me, speaking into my mind, and I am telling him everything..." Leana blushed brighter and finally shut up, staring at the ground. She wanted to pet his snout. Just touch him, but thought that would be too weird.

Looking at the lines on the drawing, he sees a perfect drawing of a dragon that he notices has every detail of his body. Speaking in her mind still, Osiris says, "You seem to have great eyes for details and perception, that is a good talent to have. However, what led you to draw me?" Shifting his head to motion to all the other dragons in the nest, "All of these dragons are more social and an effective match for someone from the organization, let alone more interesting to draw I would think, than I am. So, again, why did you pick me?"

Osiris watched her turn red as she spoke. Thinking to himself, he wonders why he can't walk away from this creature and why he had gotten possessive and protected her from the others in the nest. 'What is it about her that calls to me?' He shakes his head at the thought, not understanding why.

"Pick you?" she said, head finally picking up, a small, nervous smile on her face, "You really don't get how this works, do you? We don't pick. It's chosen for us. Call it destiny. Whatever you want. You are destined to be my dragon, and me your rider." Leana realized how confident she sounded, and blushed again, looking at the floor once more, "Well... I mean... that's the legend anyways.... I don't know how it really works..." She looked at her drawing again, and smiled a little, then looked up at Osiris with her shining blue eyes, pale skin, and red curling hair, "You really like my drawing? I wanted to draw you because something drew me to you. You're beautiful."

Leana got the courage to reach out a hand, and touch the tip of his snout lightly. The touch sent a huge shiver up her arm, and all the way to the core of herself. She stared into his eyes, and couldn't move for a long while, awestruck at something she couldn't quite place. Another dragon walked up. Smaller. A green dragon with eyes to match, and nudged Leana back unexpectedly so that she fall away from Osiris onto her rear. That dragon looked at Osiris, "The thing was touching you. Want to eat her for a snack? She'd make a great little morsel. I love the muscle bits." He was purposefully speaking with an actual voice, gruff and scary. He began to move for Leana, and pinned her chest down with a foot, no amount of her struggling could free her.

"To become my rider as you say, you still have to make a pact with me. We shall see if it comes to that," Osiris says in her mind, but then mutters, " Although I did feel the pull to you as well." Snorting some, releasing some smoke from his nostrils again, he focuses on the drawing once more, "Yes, I really do like it."

When Leana touches his snout, he freezes once again as a current of energy runs between his core and her core. However, when the other dragon knocks Leana over, causing the connection to break, Osiris goes into a rage. "I warned you not to touch her and that she is not a meal for anyone," he snarls in his real voice at other dragon. Seeing the green beast trap and pin Leana, Osiris launches himself at the green threat, knocking it off of Leana and pinning it under himself as he lets acid drip on it's neck. "Give me a reason not to kill you for invading on my territory," he growls out loud as the acid starts to burn through scales and muscle.

Leana didn't even know how to react to any of this. She was pinned, then she wasn't pinned, and now the green dragon was pinned. She was aware enough to realize though that Osiris was going to kill the other dragon. The smaller, green dragon was whining, partly in pain as everyone watched. He tried to calm him down, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry! I didn't know she was your territory, Osiris!" 'His territory..?' Leana thought, furrowing her brow. She didn't have time to complain though, and showed that she had a spine.

She stood and walked over to Osiris, trying to calm him down. Leana touched his right front leg lightly, and spoke in a soft tone, "Osiris. It's not worth it. Come on. We have a lot to talk about anyways. I think the little green lizard learned it's lesson. Alright?" Leana sort of pet his arm as she tugged lightly in the opposite direction, wanting him to stop hurting the other dragon, "Please?"

Osiris listens to the tiny beast plead for his life as Osiris keeps him pinned and keeps the acid dripping on the neck. Next thing he knows however, Leana is touching his leg that is pinning the green dragon, asking him to stop. "I should kill him and tear out his heart for either you or me to feast on," he says, glaring down.

A few minutes later, feeling Leana pet his leg in a pacifying manner, he finally lets go of the dragon and moves away from him. "Never do that again if you know what is good for you," he says to the dragon before addressing the nest of dragons, "And let that be a lesson and a warning to every single one of you in case you get a similar idea." Turning and walking back to his dark, back corner of the nest and expecting Leana to follow since she dragged him away from a kill. "Now, what is it we need to talk about?," he asks her.

Leana watched the other dragon scamper away like a hurt dog the moment Osiris released him. She breathed a small sigh of relief. The last thing she needed would be to be blamed for a fight. She followed Osiris, still more than a bit wary of him. "Well... I don't know..." She said timidly, looking around his corner of the nest. Leana felt so insignificant, so tiny, "Obviously with the whole being drawn to each other though, we should get to know each other. Right? I mean... Black dragons usually aren't social... But would you be willing to make an exception?"

She remembered his comment, "Oh! Why did you call me your territory?" Leans found a rock to sit down on, and looked up at him, obviously uncomfortable.

Osiris lays down and curls up so he can look at her while his body blends in with the wall and shadows of his little lair, as little as any dragon's lair could be, so all that could be seen is his gold eyes. "So, there are things we need to talk about and all you can bring up is lets talk about ourselves? People wonder why my kind don't socialize," he says, a smile hidden in the shadows as he torments her in a way.

As Leana sat on one of the rocks, one that was ground down by being rubbed against scales, he replies, "Is there a reason you need to know?" In an attempt to avoid explaining something he has no reason for, he states, "Dragons are not friendly to outsiders who interrupt or invade areas or items that we hold important or as ours. He interrupted us and I attacked."

"Why do you hold me as important?" Leana asked, brushing hairs out of her face as she looked at Osiris's golden eyes. It was all she could see once he disappeared. "So..." She continued, "You can shapeshift. Right? People rarely get to actually see a shift take place. Since is magical in nature, does it hurt? I wouldn't imagine it does, unless you were injured or something."

She moved nearer to him, not showing as much fear now. Leana got maybe a foot or two away, and smiled up at him, "Do you want to follow me back to the organization? I think they'd be impressed if they saw anyone, let alone me, be with a black dragon. It's a long way off on foot, but it should be fun. The people there always pick on me, and so seeing you should shut them all up. If you want..." Leana reached out for his snout again, but didn't touch, waiting for him to do something.

"I was talking to you, so that was important, especially since I don't speak much," Osiris shrugs, although Leana could not see it. "As to shape shifting, I have never done it personally, so I cannot say if it hurts. However, I can do it in theory if I feel the urge to ever do it."

Watching Leana walk closer, Osiris's eyes narrow in suspicion, "Why do you want me to follow you back? And I wouldn't have to walk," he stands up and flexes his wings so she can see, "I could just fly back." When she brings up the people picking on her, Osiris growls menacingly as acid drips from his maw. After a few minutes, he notices that Leana has her hand outstretched towards him with a questioning look on her face as she looked up at him. Giving in, he puts his snout against the palm as he stands up, "Fine, I shall go back with you, but I don't promise we will make a pact. I going back in order to shut some people up...maybe for good," he says as he growls, even though the growl is not directed at Leana.

"Well..." She said slowly, holding back a shiver that came once again when her palm touched his snout. Leana smiled, "That's awesome.... Though I don't think killing anyone would be good for the organization and what they are trying for." Leana began to walk towards the entrance again, not planning on asking to get a ride.

"If we do make a pact, that'd be amazing," she continued, almost to the entrance, "Hey! While we are out, why don't you try shifting? Maybe you're good at it. Who knows?"

"As we have both determined, I don't follow the same rules as the other dragons, so I don't care about the organization that much." Following Leana out, Osiris kept his eyes on all the other dragons until they got outside and then looked towards Leana, "Lead on, for I have no clue where to go."

Waiting to follow, either on foot or in the air, Osiris contemplates the shifting idea. After a big sigh, he shifts for the first time into...a drow, with gold eyes and dark skin that matched what he had as a dragon.

Leana smiled and led as she was told, thinking over in her head how amazing this day was turning out to be. When Osiris shifted, she looked back at him, and smiled at his much less intimidating form. "You make a good looking drow. Very handsome," she said, matching her pace with his, "Must feel odd to not have thing wings though." She stepped in front of Osiris, and grinned big, "Oh. By the way. I don't think I ever told you my name. My name is Leana Vertrusa Manae Levion-detre. Just call me Leana or Lea though please. Also..." she paused for a moment, then hugged him suddenly and tightly, "I can't do this while you are in dragon form!"

Shrugging his shoulders and back, as if he was moving wings, Osiris remarks, "Yes, my balance is off compared to normal and I miss the feel of the wind beneath my wings." He avoids the comment on his current form, not really getting the point of it since this was his first shape shifting and was still new to being socially involved with someone. He looks down at the robes around his body and hisses under his breath, "This feels far to constricting. What is the use of this...clothing?"

"Nice to meet you Leana," he mutters in a confused matter, "I am Osiris, or at least that is my spoken name." In a quick moment, Leana was hugging him and Osiris freezes except for the shocks that course through him at the contact to his core. In his frozen state and uneasy mind, his grasp on his current form was slipping and he fought to hold it. "Uhm, I uh, don't know what to do here...," Osiris is stuttering because of confusion and his eyes are wide as he looks at her.

"The clothes are to be socially acceptable. People find it too awkward when one does not have clothing on. Also, we get cold easily," Leana explained, cuddling up to him still, her hands slipping to his lower back, "Which, by the way, you are very warm." She smiled up at him, "All you do is put your arms around me like I am doing to you. You hug me back."

"Aww, so I have to start being socially accepted? Darn, no more burning people with fire or acid," Osiris replies with a mock pout. "And what is wrong to not have clothes? Or is that something I just will never understand?" Looking down at Leana he slowly hugs her back as she instructed, "Of course I am warm, I have the heart and core of a dragon, little one."

"Little one?" She asked, finally releasing him, though she didn't exactly want to, "That brings up a question. Dragons are immortal. How old are you?" Leana shifted and looked forward, "Clothes are just a nicety. It's something hard to understand if not raised with it.... So... Wanna just fly? You'd have to give me a ride though, since I have no wings. It'd be faster."

"Yes, little one. When I am in my true form, you are small compared to me. Be happy, it better than calling you tasty morsel like the others were." Watching Leana step away and smiling at the mention of flight, Osiris quickly changes back to his dragon form and stretches out his wings in anticipation. "I so enjoy being out of those clothes. Now, you really want to fly? I won't hold back..." Osiris trails off in a ominous tone and a smirk as he positions himself so she can ride on his back if she wishes. "As to my age, I think it about seven centuries now since I hatched."

Leana giggled and climbed omto his back, holding onto what she could. She was a little worried about it, "Just remember I have nothing to hold onto!" Leana made a hmm noise about his age, "Well. Okay. That's pretty old. Older than I thought you were. Anyways. Let's go."

"If I ever find out you told anyone else my age, I will be very upset. And you are riding at your own risk, so you have one last chance to get off or you are at the whim of the sky." Feeling Leana get on his back, he stands up and opens wings to full length, slowly flapping to loosen muscles before jumping off of the ground and heading up into the sky. Flying in one direction, he heads towards the base of the mountain, feeling it makes sense to go that way. After a bit, he decides to ask, "So where exactly am I flying off too? And you doing okay back there?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back