• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Chivalry: Academy for Future Knights

"Indeed?" Jakob pursed his lips into a frown at this information, but eventually shrugged. The dragons arrival and departure were so swift he hardly even noticed it, and instead continued with speaking to the two youths.

"In that case, I shall make an effort to recover them as soon as they are returned. In the mean time, you may continue your physical training instead. As for today, however, this is the only exercise. As I said, you are free to leave at anytime."

Lureana had only the best of attentions is gently pushing Areynia towards might what have been standing, but the woman tripped on her own excess cloth and tumbled back towards the ground in an amazing display or lost balance. She ended in what could be best described at a position on her stomach that resembled a caterpillar trying to crawl its way towards its destination. Clearing her throat and hiking up her robe to her knees, she was able to manage an upright stance on two legs- but not before the large, magical, wondrous staff attached by straps to her back knocked the back of her head in an unfortunate way.

A bright smile was gifted towards both Lureana and Jakob (who she found relatively charming) and she let loose the gathered fabric, dusting herself off as best she was able. The dirt smudged into the bottom hem would almost certainly stain. "I will leave with you once the dragons return. Oh my, there are so many of you- did you have a brother?" she remarked in a chipper tone to the elder gentleman. Turning towards the female knight she almost jumped at an apparent similar vision of duplicity. Well, watching for large scaly beats would be quite a bit easier now that they would be multiplied.

She rubbed the back of her head and slowly the distortions merged back into themselves. Blinking several times to clear them from her eyes, she gifted a lopsided grin to Heinrich, though he was almost certainly clinging to surly behavior. It was quite unfortunate as she was certain that there was no better way to achieve victory in combat than to ally yourself with those that would remain faithful and vigilant. Though the church swore the dragons were demons, malevolence incarnate, and deceiving humanity with their trickery- what potent allies they would be! Imagine a fully armored man utilizing the flight gifted to dragons to be thrown into the front lines of combat! And yet here Heinrich was, spitting in the face of such opportunity, without even the wisdom to keep his doubts to himself.

"Oh, perhaps next time I can get a boost... but only if you promise not to look up my robes." Areynia laughed to herself at the joke before briefly considering Lureana could potentially be gay. Well, hopefully she was not or this would become quite awkward. "You said there were books missing from the library? That is quite unfortunate. While I do not have any on dragons, I do have some tomes of my own if you are simply looking for a good read. I brought quite a few with me and Sir Jakob was kind enough to carry them to my room for me."

"Thank you, Sir," Lureana nodded to the Magistr. Just after she spoke, she heard a loud thump. Her gaze went back to Areynia and the woman had made quite the display of herself before she settled onto her two feet.

She raised a brow at the acolyte as she started to ramble on about brothers. She hadn't caught the moment when the staff had hit Areynia's head, as she was distracted by the Magistr.

"I solemnly swear not to look up your skirts," Lureana said before she chuckled. "Yes, at least from my visits to the library, there seems to be a lack. I might take you up on those tomes once we are back at the academy."

She walked over towards another tree with branches that appeared large enough to hold the weight of a person. Lureana waited for the acolyte to join her as she said with a sudden thought, "Oh! Excuse my rudeness. My name is Lureana." She have a half bow to the woman and motioned at the tree. "How about you try this tree, Areynia?"

Cordelia sighed, leaning against the now useless door. She had heard a feather light jingle of the brass lock and thought nothing of it until she decided it was time to leave. But apparently, the knob was tampered with and she was stuck. Her eyes fluttered shut in thought, fleeting images of this disagreeably, childish game. But though it was childish, she didn't want to be caught and gathered like a stray lamb from the flock. "Bloodhounds..." A faint smile, bared in wolfish intent, quickly came and went.

"This is absolutely insane. I shouldn't even be in this mess." Her hand became a fist, rolled and clenched but only lightly tapped against the rotting wood. The shop seemed abandoned, though certain hints suggested otherwise. Fresh buckets of water lined neatly against the wall, a cup of tea, slightly warm with a haze of warm mist swirling and vanishing, and fresh herbs waiting to be dried. Someone lived here and was still here. She just didn't know where they had gone.

With a heavy heart, she sat down on the ground. The floor was dirty, covered in grim and gathering dust. But at this point, caring for her appearance was the last thing to fly by. She laid down what she knew. The people who lived her are trappers. They are also herbalists. They don't seem to keep the home clean, either suggesting they came and went or were just filthy little trolls. She placed her hand towards the cut, the blood dried. She toyed with an idea, of just giving herself up in the very beginning. It was much more appealing than before she had started.

"Well, Elen, I didn't eat the black berries."

"Then were did they go?! They just didn't grow legs and walk!"

"Maybe they walked into your gut when you weren't paying attention."

Cordelia's left eye fluttered open, straining to see. Her muscles tensed, prepared to leap away from unknown danger but she was being badgered by a little demon who mocked her nervousness. The voices were old and withered, ancient like the rivers by the untouched mountains. What made her press herself against the door, a child of fear flown and drawn, was the cold chill of a bony hand that stroked her cheek.

"Looks like we have a guest."

Cordelia pushed herself from that hand. The freeze wouldn't leave, it held no pulse, just a lone howl of death that had etched itself into her. Two pairs of eyes stared at her and she wondered, wonder for a slight moment, if they were actual trolls. The room had seemed to tilt and spin, and a shuddered cough was sputtered. The old woman, short but thin, white strands of short hair frizzing around her oval face, snorted and looked to her sister. Cordelia, glared at the two of them, shivering under their black gaze.

"Whom might you be, child?" She didn't answer, she couldn't. The words were stuck.

"Dear Maggie, I believe this is a student. You should know, from that -- err... school."

"You mean the knight's academy?"

"Yes! Yes! The one and the same! Though I rarely see them out of school boundaries. Quite a sight to see this girl. Perhaps she is running away?"

"But from what? There is nothing there but some grumbling men and woman, gathering dust."

"You know, for old women, you talk to much." Cordelia had heard enough of this gossip, though it was short lived. They had forgotten her presence, as if she didn't exist. It was something that tackled annoyance and ravaged it into a snarling beast. Elen, tall but round, seemed like an apple that bobbled on two long sticks. It wouldn't take much to push her over.

"Then tell us dear, why you are in our home, huddled like a lost girl", Maggie commented.

Cordelia shifted, too tired to move on shaky legs. "I am playing a game. It's hide and seek. The only reason why I'm stuck here is because the ..front.. door..." She trailed off, blinking in confusion. They never came through the door, in fact she hadn't seen a single door other than the one she blocked. What one earth wa--

"Oh, she looks upset. Why is she upset?"

"I don't know Elen. But stand up child, stand up."

Cordelia did as she was told, propping herself up against the wall and looked between the two women. They were so strange but she didn't say that. Not when they were now, poking and prodding her sides as if she were a piece of meat. "Can you please remove your hands from my person," she muttered, flicking away their hands. As it can be seen, Cordelia has no regard for elders in any way. They looked to her and shrugged.

"We already know now", the two sister said in unison. "You're running away from dragons. The academy is reckless indeed, such sport should not happen. You decided it would be best to come to the village to hide and through some incidents you're now stuck." Her eyes twitched and she swallowed.

"What are you?"

Maggie smiled, a weary smile with troublesome secrets that knew too much. "I think it's time for you to go. Beasts don't tend to give up. You may come back at another time and we can answer your questions." She waved a bony hand to the floor and that's when realization hit her. "You came up from your cellar?" Oh sweet gods, this was getting creepy.

"No, no, no! A tunnel dear! A tunnel! The villagers don't like us much so we travel going unseen." Elen nodded, agreeing with her own words. Cordelia was just there, mildly panicking. Why do they have a tunnel? Do they kill people? Lead innocent children astray and tear into there bones? She had to place her hand over her heart, gasping. PANIC. ATTACK. NO! NO! She choked on a breath and took a few steps forward, kicking up the handle of the ..tunnel. This felt so wrong.

She nearly screamed when Elen put her hand atop her head. "A gift awaits at the end. Be sure to use it." She nodded, not even saying a word as she descended down into the darkness.

"It is very nice to meet you, Lureana." Areynia seemed to smile enough that it threatened to make her cheeks ache at the day's end. How she managed to maintain such a bright, sociable disposition despite temporary setbacks, insults, or failings might very well be one of the many mysteries of the academy. With a glance at the tree in question she postured, her hands on her hips as she gave it a serious survey. "This could work, but I'm not sure how high I can get." She walked towards the base of the trunk and looked upwards, squinting as she tried to spot the upper reaches. It was difficult to determine their fortitude from beneath with so many branches and leaves in-between.

After a moment she let out a sigh of resignation. "It's probably best that I don't. If something were to happen to me I wouldn't want Sir Jakob to be blamed for my foolishness." She was not technically under his care, but as he was directing all the others in attendance it would easy for the blame to fall squarely on his shoulders. The church would similarly be eager to find a way to lay it at the feet of the dragons even if it was their own directive that made her take such measures.

"I just arrived not so long ago. Have you been here long with the others? I watched a spar when I got here and it was absolutely fascinating! My family favors the pursuit of using swords, but I don't really have the potential or inclination," she admitted sheepishly. Besides being bizarrely heavy for her size, Areynia indeed did not seem particular fit or muscular- or coordinated. One could only imagine how someone so lacking in grace might fare in a battle where agility and reflexes were paramount.

The ice cold lady said "halt" and it was as if his body was possessed and stilled itself while his mind kept telling him to run as far away as possible. Arr'muhil let out an embarrassed and defeated groan and decided to listen to what Mal and Nozz had to say. Apparently the last human has run far beyond the training exercise's boundaries and is hiding among a nearby village. If any of them decided to show up at that village as dragons is would be pure chaos and pandemonium, and he is sure that cordelia human knows of that.

"So, any ideas" Nozz asked the three of them.

"Any ideas? We report to Jakob that one of their fellow students decided to make a run for it. That way he can send actual humans to track her down and search for her. At this point, she is cheating and breaking the rules so there really is no logical need to waste any time looking for her ourselves." Arr'muhil paused and then grinned at a rather ridiculous ploy. "Unless the three of us decided to risk a full scale war by doing something so stupid that it might actually work. All we have to do is gather some ragged loride clothes, get a thick loride accent, then go into the village telling everyone that we have a deranged sibling that decided to run away...for some reason. I still need to get that part down. Hrmm...."

Last edited by a moderator:
"I like this idea." Said Noz'Onn, grinning. "You know the old crone look is dashing on me."

"Quite the opposite is to my liking." Mal retorted, flicking her tail. She addressed Arr'Muhil with a turn of her head. "You speak in truth, Airheart. The human Cordelia has not played in a matter befitting the game, so we ought not engage in kind. Not with relations strained as they are. As you said, let us return in haste to our watcher, Jakob, and hear his piece on this."

Nozz hissed. "Let them be strained. Let this farce erode. The humans don't have us here to find peace."

"Then leave us, Wildfire. Go prepare for war and stop gorging on your precious time."

Noz'Onn snorted derisively, a scowl overcoming his face. He scuffed the dirt beside him sharply as smoke billowed out his open, angry mouth.

To Mal, he looked as though he burned for violence. She let the ice water slosh in her throat, readying for a bout, and curled herself back. But Nozz only spewed a trail of flame and was silent. His face shadowed over, and he stalked away into the bushes.

Mal turned to Arr'Muhil.

"I shall go on ahead of you, then." Mal said, and launched into flight.

"Uhhhh huh..." Arr'muhil replied awkwardly as Mal took off. "Alright as for you uhhh nozzy guy. Seriously lets not do anything stupid alright? I know that sounds really weird and ironic coming from someone like me. But lets seriously let this one go. I would rather not be the soul cause of a destructive all out war that neither side wants. What do ya say?" By the time he finished his speech, the firey one had already walked away. It was now only Arr'muhil in that particular area. "Riiight. Well then. I might as well assume that the games are over." He briefly looked up in the sky and then said "Up up and away!" As he quickly took off after Mal.

The flight was short; the area of play had been small, and Mal wasted no time flittering around. She was a dragon that did not enjoy the freedom of flight. It seemed to her there was far much to keep track of. The slightest tilt of a wing could send her entire body careening on, the tilt of her tail twisted direction. She flew in narrow glides, fighting against the downward current of wind as she focused her path down to the shine of armor caught within a net of trees.

Her outstretched front claw caught the grassy earth first, the rest of her following after with a dulled thud. Her large eyes looked over the humans there, and Mal blinked. The human tongue was more difficult, and untrained in her dragon form, so with, as she believed, this bout at its end, she turned to the human appearance, drawing on the old ways; her body followed, snapping and breaking down into the tiny, pathetic form of a human.

"Noz'Onn reports the last human as having gone into the town." Mal halted in her speech. Her mouth felt like sand ran over it, her arms as she raised them like they had been shackled. A shadow passed over her eyes, yet she remained on task, deferring to their assigned leader. "How should we proceed, Magister Jakob?"

@Sgt Grunt

Jakob's brow raised as he watched the dragon skid to a halt and relay the news. The act of changing forms always looked incredibly painful to him, and while he knew it was necessary, hoped to rid them of that restriction eventually. Hopefully, if enough people saw them in a favorable light, he could overturn the decision that bound them to their human forms near large populations.

"Unexpected. I wasn't aware there was a village near here." He crossed his arms and chuckled, looking at the setting sun. "It matters not. This scenario is over, and we will return to the academy. The missing one will figure out what has happened one way or another." Jakob began grabbing things to place in the groups pack while he spoke. "Besides, being amongst humans cannot be considered hiding from a dragon. Villages are rather flammable, after all."

Lureana nodded in silent agreement that Areynia may not get as high as she would need with the amount of weight that the acolyte wore. She smiled and motioned toward the log where she had laid her clothes. "Perhaps we should sit and wait on the others to get back?" she asked.

She had started to walk towards the log when she returned her attention to the acolyte. "I've been in the group since it was founded. I spar when I need, and I have my own extra training that I do after dinner. I much prefer a short sword or rapier, if we are talking swords. I'm not much for strength myself, but I am agile,"she paused at the mention of different inclinations. She thought on it for a moment before saying," There's more to combat than the fight, miss." She knew that fighting wasn't for everyone, with a few opting to train with the medics.

When the blue dragon landed and spoke to the Magister, Lureana frowned slightly. She didn't think that traveling into town truly fulfilled the requirements of the game. Though, she did find it to be a rather witty solution. While it may not be a good solution for actual survival against raging dragons, the cunning behind creating such a creative hiding place showed quite a bit of promise for the comrades wit for slippery tactical fare.

"Interesting," Lureana murmured as she crossed her arms. "I wonder what she would have thought of if she was given a stricter environment of survival choices."

Then, she walked over to her things and gathered them into her arms. Though, she wasn't sure she agreed with leaving the other student. "Shouldn't we retrieve the other academ?"

"Whatever for?" Jakob spoke over his shoulder as he continued to place things in the pack. "She is in no danger, and it was her decision to hide somewhere so far away that she could not return in time. Consider this a learning experience for her." Jakob knew full well he could get into trouble for this, but he meant what he said. If the child failed to return before sunrise the next morning, he would personally lead the searching parties for her.

"Unless of course, you wish to retrieve her?"

Lureana's lips pressed tightly into a smile. "I believe we are a team, Magister. As a team, we should look out for everyone. If this were a real situation, and someone was in danger, I would not hesitate to collect them. But, this is an exercise with the intent of working together. Leaving someone after the game is played may have adverse effects. I would not want that. With that, I must apologize now for I will be late to dinner," she bowed lightly and then turned her attention to the dragon lady.

"What direction is the village?" she asked.

Jakob stood up fully at Lureana's declaration and turned to face her. She had already moved towards the dragon, but he saluted her with fist to chest regardless. "It is no small thing, to show honor when it is not required. Good luck. If you do not return by morning We will be looking for you." He finished with a slight inclination of his head in respect before waving everyone else to follow him back to the academy.

"Aaaaaaand I'm here!" Arr'muhil said as he attempted to land more gracefully then the last few times. He glanced at Jakob and the others who had already began walking back to the academy.

"So, I am guessing you already told him?" He spoke to Mal. "Heh. I know this was probably the more logical and safe solution but there was some part of me who reaaaaally wanted to pull off that prank on the last hiding human."

What on earth was she suppose to do with this?

Cordelia merely stared the round orb in her hand. It rolled about whenever she tilted her palm, the hard crusted cover of cloth the only thing that kept it safe and protected from the outside world. She wish she hadn't seen it. She wished she never picked up the small glass jar sitting on an old dead stump. She wished she had read the note under that jar first. Now she was stuck in a situation she had no clue how to handle and it scared her.

An eye. For the sake of the gods, an eye was in her hand. And it would have been better if it was a human eye. She would have just thrown it right down into the stream that trickled under the hill of ivy. But she had seen the pupil. The strange coloring. A dragon's eye. She shuddered, the urge to gag strong and tempting her closing throat. But it was the small letter that she had missed altogether that made her feel weak and prepared to hide under rock. "In replacement for the eye you lost. Come back if you want to know how to use it." Why hadn't she just gotten rid of it already? All it took was her walking away and forgetting everything that happened.

Yet her hand burned now, just as it had done in the old cavern under the school. Cordelia quickly placed it away into her pocket. No one, no one could know of this. The temptation to be able to see fully as she did when she was younger was there, breathing hungered gasps. It was wrong, it was so wrong. Yet she wanted to do it. She didn't care about the consequences. Cordelia found herself walking away from the little tunnel, from the two old woman who held much more promise. Voices, she could hear the voices of people. Her gentle steps became a thunderous run, a desperate fight to keep herself steady. Mentally steady.

Finally, the villager's were passing by her and she slowed. She bent forward, hands grasping her knees as she barely caught herself. Sweat, it was trickling down her neck and she frantically wiped it away.

"Cordelia!"

Her eyes popped open at the ring of her name and instinctively she straightened, searching for the mysterious caller. Cordelia soon found her, one of the students. She couldn't place her name, had she said it before or maybe it was just forgotten?

The woman walked to her, an air of order and peace colliding with Cordelia's frizzle of chaotic energy. But she didn't move, not even an inch. Her eyes narrowed and with a bored tone, she rumbled a withered sigh. "I suppose... seeing you hear means something." The woman tilted her head at the response. "I have come to retrieve you. You lost the game due to not returning in time and also coming into town"

Cordelia rose a brow, glancing to the setting sun. She hadn't even noticed. "I see. Then I am in your debt." The response was thick with disappointment. Yes, she felt upset. She wanted to show that she couldn't be captured which she hadn't, but all the same she had lost. Even if it had been by forfeit.

"If it means anything, I found that your view of the game was interesting in the least. You seem to be very quick when it comes to using your opponents disadvantages. So in a way, you are clever."

". . . It doesn't matter now. I have lost and this now had become pointless." Prepared to walk away, a tinge of guilt held her and she looked back to the other. "Your name?"

"Lureana." She bowed slightly, obviously much more polite than Cordelia ever planned to be. She huffed, a scowl placed bluntly in view. "Don't. I won't show you the same respect. Just because you came to fetch me like the misbehaving child that I am, means nothing to me. You haven't earned a single thing other than the title, noble. For that only will I applaud you."

Lureana's expression never changed. She still held the collected emotion and only smiled. Cordelia was put into a state of shock, expecting the woman to blow up. But no, she got a smile. She blinked as she watched the woman float by, waiting for her to catch up. And Cordelia followed in an suspicious awe. When they had reached the school, Cordelia rubbed her neck and stiffly gave a small bow of her own. Only out of courtesy. Nothing less and nothing more. Or at least that's what she told herself.

SO THE TIMESKIP BEGINS AT LONG LAST

I know I have slacked off a bit too much but voila, tis late, but here it is.

=============================================

Within the days that followed, preparations were made for the Grand Hunt that soon would be upon them. The castle town took on a new air, it's city coming alive from the atmosphere of discomfort brought on by their inhuman guests. With festivities approaching, and Jakob's training, at first playful, turning rigorous, the red dragon Noz'Onn began to withdraw. He was not seen amongst his assigned squad, and always reported some excuse or other to skip out on activities. Under the silence of lightsout, he whispered in his native tongue all he despised, and all the trust he found lacking in these relationships between human and dragon. He was not unjustified in his assertions; the humans had shown ill will in the poisoning, and a clear avoidance brought on by covered loathing permeated all throughout the three's interactions, but for a few. Yet it was those few that so convinced Mal and Armel that there truly was hope for peace, a hope Nozz admonished them for having. Arguments between Noz'Onn and Mahl'Iss grew more frequent, the conflict layered with animosity, and a rift soon formed.

It was with no surprise, and perhaps even with some relief, then, that Noz'Onn left, without clear warning, no words spared in farewell but for the letter in the bed he'd laid.

It seemed, too, that he had made preparations before leaving. Not half a day after his sudden departure did a new dragon take his place, the High Magister having given word of this mere hours before the dragon's arrival.

His name was Rahl'Dazz. And he was of the mountain.

=============================================SUDDEN POST ATTACK, COURTESY JAYSUN AND TERRAGON========================================

Rahl'Dazz flapped his powerful wings, zipping across the night sky like a thunderbolt, his shadows fell upon the land below, plunging large portions of it into a darker shade. The half-moon shone a weak light onto his back, its cool touch made him shivering in anticipation. He had always liked flying at night, more so on full moons. Its white light seemed to envelop him, calming his usually fiery nature and settled a peaceful ease on his heart. He could see in the dark even without its light, but that light added a subtle shift on his perception, his vision not sharper but its clarity more distinct. The moonlight empowered him a sense of content and grace, the stroke of his wings somehow seemed lighter and stronger at the same time. Even at this height, he could feel the presence of countless human below, many deep in troubled slumber. Strange how under the moonlight, he could almost make out their emotions, their mental struggles of simple minds. How hard it must be to live a incredibly short life of a two-legged creature, he couldn't imagine. Human died all too fast and breed like there would be no tomorrow, covering the land with their meaningless existences, sucking the earth dry generations after generations, never growing any wiser. They did not have the longevity of a dragon's strength, nor did they have the complexity of a dragon's mind, and so did not have the time nor the thoughts to appreciate what was given to them. Human. Destroyers. Parasites. Slayers of his kind.

Yet his parents had forsaken their lives so that creatures they should despise could live. Were they mistaken? He had always thought their sacrifices were for a higher cause, one that he had been too young and foolish a Drake to comprehend. Yet after decades of searching, he had not come any closer to reveal the cause he had so desperately seeking. In his heart, he knew his real goal was to prove that human was not what his parents had died protecting. He NEEDED it to be that way. How could such lowly creatures deserve what was done on their behalf? This journey could be his closure to the mystery he had struggling to answer for nearly a century.

Rahl'Dazz landed gracefully on the rocky mountain overlooking the giant building that was the Academy, of which he was told to be one of the most magnificent structures of the human kingdom. He was a little impressed at how such tiny creatures could construct such building of monstrous size. Even dragons working together might take a whole year, and with nowhere near as careful sculptures and designs. He could only imagine how long it must have taken for mere human.

In a blink of an eye, the giant spiky form was gone, replaced by a humanoid figure. Rahl'Dazz excelled at shifting, a fact appreciated by none and resented my many. As if it made him any less draconic. Even with the moonlight on his shoulder and the familiar feel of rocks under his feet, he felt as uncomfortable as he had always been being in human form, like a river trapped inside a bottle yet could not get out even if it should have been able to do so easily. His smooth flesh felt exposed and vulnerable, while his fingers felt clumsy and weak. A small price to pay, he supposed, if it meant finding what he was looking for.

He found the promised clothes under a bush near the foot of the mountain. Putting it on only increased the discomfort, but he managed not to grow any spike out of instinct and ruin the outfit. Took him nearly four decades to bring his dragon instincts under control in human form, and at last it was useful for something. Another half an hour walk brought him to the wall of the building. The slowness of traveling like this frustrated him to no end, but he trudged on, although growing grumpier by the step. The discomfort will ease after a few hours, he knew, but that didn't make it any more bearable.

Walking along the outer wall led him to a gate, where he encountered a human waiting there, just as the instructions he had received. The scrawny little man said nothing, only bowed deeply and pulled open the gate further for them to step through. Good thing he didn't talk, because Rahl'Dazz was not in the mood to talk, nor was he in the mood to do anything else other than growing wings and flying back to his mountain, but of course, that was not an option. Still, he appreciated the little things where he found them, which no doubt would be rare among the time he would be spending here. The guide brought him through a maze of passageways and halls, none of which Rahl'Dazz felt worthy of his attention. Finally, they stopped before an intricately carved wooden door, which the little man knocked on, then bowed again and retreated the opposite way down the corridor, not before opening the door slightly and motioned him to step in. This better be worth his time. Or these human might have another unfriendly Fire dragon in their midst.

"Ah, Rahl'Dazz, Fire Dragon, welcome." The head meister, Torath, stood up as the dragon entered, his wizened old face half-cracked with the smile alight it. "You've come at a good time. Do have a seat." He motioned to the chair ahead and hobbled back to his own, straightening the papers and scolls almost nervously before folding his hands and raising his head to stare at the dragon. "You look so different from the last one... astonishing. Dragons are such incredible creatures, years of studying, spending time with your kind, and there are still mysteries that I cannot answer. And the freedom you must feel when you fly, I... I could only dream of it." Torath digressed, waving his hand. "But these are the thoughts of I, rambling with age. You're here for a reason, and a good one. Might I assume that with you coming here, you're to be our substitution, the new ambassador for the fire dragons?"

“It’s Rahl for you, human. I will not have my name tainted by being spoken in this unholy place of treachery.” Rahl growled, his words full with menace. Then his tone changed to one of pure formality. “I have been sent by the Council of Elders as replacement to represent my race, the fire dragons.” He pulled the letter out of his pocket and set it down on the table in front of the man, before stepping back and grabbing the chair.

The wood of the chair’s back shattered in his hand like dust, throwing splinter across the room. Rahl scowled at the wrecked chair in his hand and waved an apologetic hand. “I apologize. I am not accustomed to being around such fragile objects that are human’s creation. I will try to control my strength next time.” He instead walked to the opposite wall from the old man and leaned his back against it, waiting for the letter to be read. He had not read it himself, but he was sure that the parchment would only contain dry and boring formalities.

Torath glanced it over, slowly nodding as he did. A spare few second passed before he lowered it, folded it, and placed it neatly to his right.

"Very good." He smiled. "Rahl."

He understood that the man was unused to human contact, unused to time among his kin, and decided to be gentler for it. The broken chair was no expense the elder man couldn't spare, after all.

Torath rose to his full height, domineering and massive, and strode for the door, stopping before Rahl to incline his head. "It would be best not to break things in the presence of other humans, my friend. Often you will find destruction adds to the threat looming over us, and no work of yours will be easily overturned. Remember your place, the significance of it, and the impact you have on the future. Be blameless in all things, and hope will remain a steady light in the darkness of this time. As for me, I will do my best to be your and the other dragons' support as it stands. Come to me, dragon, if trouble pursues you." Torath stood back, opening the door and holding up a hand to bid the dragon wait. "Hold a moment, Red One. Your new friends will now enter."

And in through the door, as it opened, stepped two other myriads of white and blue, air and ice, mighty beasts the shape of a species greatly their weaker.

“Heeeey it’s the new guy!” Armel said gleefully. “I am Arr’muhil. I let people here call me Armel for short. I hope we can make good acquaintances before uhh..you go off rambling about humans being bad and being hungry then suddenly leaving one night. But hopefully it won’t ever have to come to that right? Heh heh…”

Mal nodded to the newcomer. She extended her hand. "It is a human gesture, meant for greetings between allies. May we be as such."

Rahl frowned at the extended hand. He had seen human trading such gestures before as greeting, and so awkwardly he tried to mimic it, reaching out and grab the Ice dragon’s forearm. “Greetings, Wind and Ice. I am one called Rahl-Dazz.” He said in the draconic language. “It is good seeing another of our kind in this blasted place.”

The three exchanged further pleasantries, sharing their experiences and concerns as ambassadors. As their conversations came to a close, they were guided by Torath down to the new side room, where the rest of the contract-signers awaited.

==================

He was integrated swiftly into the squad of Dragon Watchers, as the populace had taken to calling them. His initial arrival drew the turning of a few heads, but Rahl'Dazz soon settled into the flow of things, and the aquaintancing of dragon and human settled in to a form of normalcy, of tolerated dislike and perhaps even the slow budding of amiability.

And amidst all this, the world continued to turn.

Rumors are the far removed travel of messages not preserved by conscious effort. By the breezing traveller they ghost around and upon the Academy, through the streets of Galt and flutter in the conversations of idlers. By the week that carried hundreds of guests, noble and ignoble, through the gates of the city that would host the Grand Hunt, the whispers and drunken tales multiplied and varied in excess.

There is heard tell that the ForeSworn at the foot of the Black Mountains have retreated, that the war is over, and there is not even a shadow of fight left in those abominable creatures. Yet other groups speak in contrary rebuttal, claiming they’ve seen those marked ones on the countryside, seen the brands that marked the beasts for what they are-- there yet remain ForeSworn in Gallace, they insist. These fellows claim they've found corpses by the roadside, seen the gutted inhuman forms whose very presence declare the war has not yet finished, that there is still yet slaughtering to be done. "Find them all, and cut them down." goes the common consensus.

These mixed rumors yield no solid evidence, and the contradicting testimonies leave many with no certainty of the truth. Rather than an investigation, however, the Grand Hunt becomes the main focus of the populace. After so arduous a war and so tragic a time, these festivities have erected, with greater growth, as the opiates of the masses, the point of interest that dulls away thoughts of war or conflict. Many are content to live, like cattle. They soothe themselves with the escape found in fun and laughter, and recreational accomplishment.

Though in the eyes of warriors, the Grand Hunt is tomfoolery, the academ at Galt’s Academy view it as a chance to prove their mettle, their wit, and their skill alongside those carrying the title of the most influential within their culture; knights. The elite and chivalrous warriors that these students are trained to be arrive in their great numbers; fifty from every Order. While this is no great turnout by comparison to their bi-annual Tournament, this Grand Hunt opens the doors for commoners, youngsters, and gypsies alike, provided they carry proof of their hunting skill and are able to show their worth to the Grand Hunt’s primary recruiter. It is rare, and nigh unheard of that a commoner would return with the best of prizes, however. The game does lend its deference to its high society; mounted knights will be given a position of preference come the time of preparation, and the rest will by foot follow after. In total, the remaining hunters are two hundred and fifty five. The five being three dragons and two students besides. This signup has been settled. Debates go unheard after every Grandmaster vouched for this course of action.

Only a day remains before the hunt. A number of rushing invitees have trickled at last through the gates, into the city streaming with decorative celebration, abustle with merchants and dancing, with singing and fine music.

Yet in the town square where all gather is a Teutonic knight to be hung. It may seem to be an act most contrary to so festive an occasion, yet it is that frivolousness that so forced the judge’s hand; the people and the hunters must know what the answer to cowardice is in a land of Chivalry and Knights.

The answer is death; the fate of a common criminal; the noose made for killers strung around your neck and the slow gasping ebb away of life to follow, and thousands to watch it happen.

The Academ, the town, every man, woman, and child were called to spectate, to see the bound, terrified man be lead by a black hooded executioner up the dreary steps, and to hear his final words, which his desperate eyes bellowed, and his shaking shoulders screamed.

His voice was a shaky whisper. It rose and fell. From muted, angry howl to hissed incoherence, he accused the onlookers.

“No... No coward am I... Oh, by the gods, no... Any of you would’ve run! Airesh have mercy on my soul... Oh, ye gods... Please! There is no man with gall enough to face what I have seen! You do better! You see death drool at the sight of you and stand there like a brave fool!"

And those were his final words. Beside him on the gibbet were the skeletons and rotting corpses of criminals long dead. The gag was placed over his mouth as the rope was pulled, and he was held up before the multitude an example of what reward a coward's retreat did gain.

It was in the Northern block on a weekday morning, the eve of the Grand Hunt and frivolous play about in all else.

@TerraBooma @Father Gigantor @TheFallOfitAll

((You are now free to post as ye please. As are all else. React to this lil post and I'll throw some little plot at you soon♥♥))

Wyatt watched in horror as the man who saved him was taken up to the noose, memories flashing of the same beast that the doomed man described. It was supposed to just be a quick hunting mission before he came to the academy. It had started out fairly well to boot, he managed to shoot a few smaller creatures with his crossbow, but he hadn't seen anything larger like a deer or even a boar. Things took a terrible turn when they came across that terrible beast...he shuddered at the memory. Man after man fell before the creature and Wyatt had simply frozen up on the spot. Panic had filled him, if the very same knight up on the noose hadn't ran to him, dragging him away from the beast he knew he'd be as dead as the rest of the men who went on that trip. The only reason he himself wasn't hung was that many believed he was simply following the older knights orders...and he was, in a way. He was too frozen in fear to do anything BUT follow his commands. And how was his savior repaid? Sentenced to death by a judge who hadn't seen the horrors of that beast. A shudder runs up his spine. He tried to explain, desperately he tried to explain to those men of the horrors he'd witnessed, but they waved him off. He had a feeling that figured he was just over exaggerating on the Knights behalf. But Wyatt knew something that no other person alive knew, that the man who had just died, killed for his cowardliness in a time of chivalry, wasn't simply trying to convince the crowd of what he said, because in his Heart, for he had seen it in his own eyes...

Wyatt knew that everything the dead man said was absolutely true.

Turning around, unable to watch the hanging body any longer, Wyatt stormed out of the yard, trying to forget the horrors while silently vowing that one day, should he ever see that beast again, he'd kill and and show it to those who laughed at his and the knights remarks. Let them know the fear he knew...but for now, he just wanted to get away. His goggles on his head clattered as he tried to walk away, fighting tears of anger, fear and sadness all at the same time. He would be strong, for the man who saved him's spirit.

(Sorry for the shortish post by comparison to others, just wants to get Wyatt into the RP, anyone who wants to bump into Wyatt feel free to! :D )

Jakob nodded to himself in approval at the swift justice shown at the hangmans noose today. If there were any one thing he found unforgivable in a knight, it was cowardice. His own branch of the Templar order had a creed that demanded not a single man retreat, no matter the odds. Only the king, or he himself could give such an order, and he would use it only in the most desperate of times.

The student who vouched for the man left shortly after, and he held a small amount of pity for the lad. It was not his fault his knight sought life over honor. He too turned from the noose, looking out over the crowd for his students to ensure they all remained. He had insisted they all see justice being done, and to commit to their hearts the consequences of dishonor.

Lureana would have watched the hanging, had it not been for the crowd of people that joined about to watch. She was about a foot taller than anyone close, making it rather hard to see over anyone's shoulder. She heard the sentence, the man's crackling voice calling out his plea, and finally, the swish and whaop of the man's sentence. She figured it was just like any other hanging she had seen, with the man finally dangling about, swinging from his neck.

Before the crowd began to move, she had found a pastry vender. The smell of his sweets overtook her hunger from skipping breakfast. She handed the man one of her coins in exchange for a bun soaked in sticky honey. Taking a bite, she began to wander down the street, looking for a place to spend the rest of her free day. She was walking towards another vender, taking another bite of her satisfyingly delicious bun, when she ran headfirst into a rather tall man.

Instantly, she dropped her treat and stared at its dirt covered surface. It was as good as trash, and she only had two bites. She was silently mourning the loss of the pastry before she realized she was at fault for running into the stranger.

"Ah, forgive me," she mumbled, not stating what exactly she was asking forgiveness for, whether it be her lack of manners or bumping into the lad. Finally looking up at the tall lad, she noted that he was a good half-foot above her height, and she gave a polite smile. He didn't look like he was much older than her, if older at all. Though, he did look rather distraught.

"Are you alright?" She asked upon seeing a tinge of red in his cheeks, his eyes glassy as if tears were forming. Her honey bun was forgotten as she tilted her head slightly. Her long black hair, which she had worn down for she didn't expect her day out to involve any physical activities other than walking, swayed to the side, and a strand slid a bit closer to her eye.

"OH!" she said upon remembering the previous events of the day. "Was that your first hanging? They are a tad disturbing at first, I'll admit. But the law is the law," she said, a sigh to her voice. Then, she offered a gentle smile and hand. "How about I buy you a honey bun? Sweets always make these kinds of things a little better, I think,"she said. "My name is Lureana, by the way. I'm the heir to the Rompth household, and Lionhart at the Academy."

@TerraBooma ( You have thusly been bumped xD )

EDIT: Sorta... typed that last part and lost it mid-paste.. >__>

Wyatt had let his feet take him wherever they may, as all he wanted to do was get away from the hanging. However, in his distressed state and his constant attempt to fight off tears he hadn't been looking at where he was going, it was a miracle in and of itself that he had managed to not run into someone before he had Lurenna, and even luckier still that the person he bumped into hadn't had been quick to anger. However, he's more shocked then anything else as he runs almost headfirst into Lurenna. Startled he falls to the ground, goggles clattering off his head to the streets beside him in the process. He looks up to see a shorter woman, around his age, although he can't tell how close. Asking for his forgiveness and then if he's alright, after taking a second to sit up, he nods slowly, sighing. "I'm fine...somewhat." He starts to stand himself up and ponders wheather or not to talk to her, she seems friendly, and if there's one thing Wyatt need at this point in time it would be someone to talk to. Grabbing his goggles, he inspects them to make sure they don't have any cracks. Content that they're still in working condition he continues speaking. "That man who was hung...I knew him, and the beast that the officals laugh off as the rants of a dead man begging for help?" He shudders as he stands up, a bit unsteady. "They're all true, everything he said." He smiles softly. "But nonetheless you shouldn't have to apologize to me, I am the one who bumped into you after all. I really should have looked where I was going...it just..." He shudders again. "I think that if I can help it I'll avoid executions from now on." His eyes widen as he realizes he hasn't even offered his name. "Oh! Uh...I probably shouldn't bother you with all this, I did just bump into you, quite literally." After a second of trying to figure out what to do, he holds out a hand to shake."Sorry for running into you, I wasn't looking where I was going, my name's Wyatt." He sighs. "I must look like a mess huh, it's been a really...emotional few days for me, but you probably don't want to hear it."

Much of his anger and sorrow were shaken from him by the sheer surprise of (Quite literally) running into someone. All he feels now is a dull ache in his heart as the back of his mind races to try and deal with everything that's had to deal with the beast.

@Auren (Thanks for the bump :P )

Lureana watched as the boy looked at the goggles that had occupied his head. She listened as she spoke about the man on trial, and his relation to him. She smiled kindly, though she felt it was her best interest to not mention again how law was law. Though, she did believe he would not lie. Afterall, why lie to a stranger who may never meet him again? "It's really alright. I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking either, really," she said as she grinned.

She took his hand in a shake and after they shook, gave his hand an encouraging squeeze. "How about I buy you that honey bun? Sweets really do make any sort of day better,"she said. She released his hand and waved. "Come on, I bet that vender is still around the corner."

She led the way, and upon reaching the vender gave him her last two coins for the two honey buns. She was going to use them for some hygenic supplies, but she still had enough to last until she could receive more of her allowance from her family. She handed Wyatt one of the sticky buns while she took a bite out of her own. Then, she waited for the boy to take his own bite and she watched him.

He seemed like a good lad, though he did look a tad disheveled. His hair was a mess, and even the goggles that he wore around his neck seemed to be a tad worn. Or maybe that was her Lionhart heritage making her draw assumptions based on appearances. "Do you attend the Academy?"she asked, to get his mind away from the previous subject. If he truly did see someone that was close to him die, she could only assume it was hard on him in ways she couldn't fully comprehend.

(( PS. Had an edit in that first post with name and stuff... sorry... would have warned you, but the OOC option is gone and makes it harder and such >__>))

He With No Name

It's a strange and unusual happening, a fellow being born and never having been given a proper name, regardless of having been orphaned or not. Even more strange and unusual when that man was famous, a Legend, of sorts.Having fought amongst other knights against the Foresworn, and having gone around saving the innocents from those who's hearts had nothing inside but evil.

Though it was no strange happening for a man such as he to wish to teach his level of skill and knowledge to others, an apprentice of sorts, or a squire as others would call them. And it was no strange happening that he'd go to the very same place he was taught to find one.

At the egde of the city, off in the distance, a man was soon spotted, upon a horse and with a horse next to his, a pack animal for his equipment he and his riding horse weren't capable of carrying. Rumors sprung up as to who the man was, names were given, but none were correct for he with none. Although once he had entered the limits, those there realized they knew who he was, despite his lack of a name.

This man had upon his face some scars, as well as his facial hair, a beard which was black as night, like the hair under his hat. His face held no real emotion, other than his eyes being in a squint.

The man who's name was never given had arrived, and was now on the lookout for an apprentice.

However, he soon came across the aftermath of a hanging, and two who were talking about it, their names he knew not, but he figured by how the two held themselves, and how they were dressed, they belonged to the Academy, so he'd greet them once they had made notice of him.

@Auren @TerraBooma

Wyatt is surprised that Lurenna isn't angry, in fact she offers to buy some sweets to take his mind of of everything that's gone through his head, although he only just manages to bite back a retort that the law can be wrong, even if it IS the law. He waits patiently as she pays, then takes a bite into the warm stickiness of the sweet. He's also glad that she's willing to keep talking, in order to distract himself from what had occurred that day. "I do." He says during a long pause in between bites. "I'm a teuton technically, but I'm not that...happy to go around fighting with a sword." He thinks happily of the numerous small projects strewn across his room, they would provide another much needed calmness for him to relax a little when the sun fell low in the sky. Taking a deep breath he smiles, the first genuine smile he's had since the day he met the beast with the rest of the hunters. "Thanks for the sweet, it does taste great." He realizes what she was eating when he bumped into her. "Oh! Did I ruin your last one? I'm sorry, I didn't...I didn't mean to! Let me pay you back, I'd feel terrible otherwise!" As Wyatt flounders for what to say, he doesn't notice a mysterious figure come up behind him.

@Auren @TheFallOfitAll

(Sorry for short post, going out for a little while, and don't worry about it, I prob should have read it again in the meanwhile)

Rahl sighed again, poking warily at the slab of meat on his plate. Not only that is was long dead, human did things with it, things he couldn't even comprehend the point of, much less understand the process. He was almost sure the human food preparers covered the meat in muck and dirt, left it around until it rot then took turn urinating on it. A rather long and intricate process just to spite a dragon and it made him sound paranoid, but there was just no other way in the nine realms that his so-called food could taste so outragously disgusting.

Rahl placed the slab of meat inside his mouth and swallowed as swiftly as he could, trying not to let his tougue come in contact with the blasted thing. One good thing about changing into the two-legged form was that he could partially numb his senses, especially his taste and smell. Rahl felt like puking. He must have somehow in all of his thinking mistaken the what he had just swallowed with meat, because the stuff sloshed around his stomach like sticky shite. He tried belching some fire into himself to burn the abomination of a food away. Wrong choice, because a smoldering blackened slab of human's meat made him want to puke swamp mud through his nose.

"I believe the special dish today is to your satisfaction, Fire Dragon." The human "chef" was standing before him, smiling expectantly. "Seeing as how your kind felt rather.....distateful toward human food, I had taken the liberty to add some special ingridients into your meal. I have every confidence that it would be the ultimate enjoyment you will ever experience in your very, very long life. I used very rare and costly materials that appeals to anyone, maximising the..."

Rahl's eyes burned scarlet and glowed blindingly bright, locking onto the human's own eyes and pierced him through. He bared his dragon fangs and smoke bellowed out from his nostrols, his hair standing up and grew into spikes, sharp and deadly. A low growl shook the cups and plates on every table across the room.

The dinning area cleared in a heart-beat, every last one of the servants and the few students ran like their lives depended on it, and they were. All except for the "chef", who had turned white as snow and dropped where he stood.

Rahl sighed and pushed his plate away, rising from the stone bench and exited the dinning area himself. It was lucky that he had came for food during the lessons, or else with the hall full of students and mentors, his action might have been seen as declaration of hostality and war. But again, may be because he was alone without any of his kind that the human thought to be able to get away with poisoning him. Rahl felt like puking. The "food" that day was even more of an abomination then the meals he had had before. Only nearly a moon among the human and he had restrained himself from murdering them all twelve times. No wonder the previous Fire Dragon ran like he was doused in ice water.

-----------------------------

The hanging drew mixed feelings. Rahl watched the human killing on of themselves from afar, staying away from the mass of onlookers gathering around the stage. And a stage it was, even though it was a sight intended to draw fear and awe, the human made it look like a show of strength more than anything, to prove how fragile a live was.

Rahl felt disgusted at the ritual, but fascinated at the same time. He did not understand nor did he want to understand all of the incomprehensible maze that was the human mind, struggling for survival while at the same time stepping on others to gain nothing but to satisfy their dark and twisted needs.

Rahl tolerated human. There was something about them that stirred his interst despite the barbaric natures of every last one of their customs. Mahl had called it...hope? Love? Optimism? He doubted even her, after so long spending observing these two legged beasts, truely understand such ideas. Could dragon's mind even capable of doing so? So many questions, so many mysteries.

The hanging still disgusted him though. Rahl went back to watching the commotion and scratching his neck where he had accidentally grew a spike out of just the previous night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back