• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Chivalry: Academy for Future Knights

Killigrew

Magnificent Humanicorn
View attachment 41049

The Humans Believe:

Airesh - Goddess, chaotic good. Gives morality to man, the moral compass that guides all but the depraved that turn against nature and the gods. (Wind)

Flamberge - God, Neutral. The god that gives strength to all humanity. (Fire)

Eesna - God, lawful neutral. Judges us for our impurities. (Ice)

These gods first appeared to humanity while our race still wandered the forests as beasts. It is to them that we give the glory for our cities, for our hearts, and for our minds. They gave to us the ability to think, (see Promethius-esque story) and for that we can never thank them enough. But in their goodness, these gods see fit to still guide us in their wisdom, and speak to a gifted few by the blood that binds them.

The religion worships based on relics and artifacts, which they believe create a pathway to the respective god, and that certain prayers and chants make it through to their god and create the magic (also called miracles) that is observed. Priests, not clergymen, are the religious persons, the Abbas being the head of the religion. Priests would be the leader in a small town's temple, but he would have his attendants, probably at least two. A relic would be in the temple; there are never more temples than relics.

The Dragons Believe:

The first three dragons found this earth, and took the form of the humans that lived here. These dragons were first worshipped as gods, for their great works and strength they were raised up as rulers. But the human kindness did not last, and they grew to resent the dragons for living in luxury as they faced hard times ahead.

The one-time king had a wife, and the Flame Dragon, overthrown by passion as the fire dragons sometimes are, took the form of a human and shared her bed. This disgrace was uncovered, and the humans would not forgive this misdeed.

War broke out. While we are glad to say we dragons fought with honor, the humans revealed the darkness so masked within their own hearts. They tore the corpses of our brethren, and bathed in our blood, unnaturally coming into the abilities that have grown in us for thousands of years.

By their dishonor, they defeated us, and few of us escaped to the desert country below.

But food here has grown scarce. We must return.

But we will not make the same mistakes we once did.

Context:

A thousand years ago, Dragons came to the land that now is called Gallace, and brought culture and society with them, ruling over the land as deities, with absolute power. But absolute power corrupts absolutely, and the sensations of their human form sent the dragons to enact great evil on the humans in their desire for pleasure. Encumbered by their now tyrannical rulers, the humans overthrew the dragons in a great war, and believed the dragons to have all been destroyed. Unbeknownst to them, the dragons instead travelled to the southern continent, the Land of Death, a desert land, a harsh and unforgiving natural environment.

This war is known as "The Great Slaying". The human heroes of this war are as follows: the honorable Gawain, the indomitable Siegfried, and the lionhearted Richard.

The humans, with no clear ruler, began to war amongst themselves, and three strong groups emerged amongst the fighting: the Teutonics, the Lionharts, and the Templars. This war lasted for three hundred years, and, is subsequently known as the Three Hundred Year War.

A treaty ended it, promising joint-three-man rulership, one representative from each group. The Lionharts decide by vote, the Templars by birth, and the Teutonics by strength in battle. And it was thus that the country of Gallace was formed.

For five hundred years, peace reigned under this three-way voting system. But, two hundred years ago, emerging from the mountains of the west, came the ForeSworn. At first, the rulers of Gallace welcomed them as weary travellers seeking refuge. But it was not long before this small group of barbarians revealed their brutality, slaying civilians in a drunken rage that very night. They were thrown from the town, banished with the Mark (a brand of W burned into their forehead), and thrown back on the mountain from whence they came. Swearing revenge, these ForeSworn returned to their tribe, and united their people against Gallace. Forts at the border of the Western Mountains strained to keep the ForeSworn from crossing into our borders, but the ForeSworn, in their brutal way, overcame us, and raged a slue of evil into our good country.

It was then that the dragons emerged from the forests, where they had hid and populated the land in secret. They united with us against this terrible threat, and with them by our side, we overcame the ForeSworn and pushed them back into their mountains, where we hope they will stay.

Now the dragons and humans have an uneasy peace, their history and religions contrarily scraping against one another. Three dragons from the small tribe that inhabits our land have been accepted into the Knight's Academy in hopes of future peace. Depending on the fate of these dragons, there may be the possibility of future relationships. But should this attempt at reconstruction prove tragic, the war shall begin once again.

Badly Drawn Timeline:

View attachment 42188

==========================================

Lore:

Rather than a king, the country of Gallace is ruled by the 3 leaders of the 3 knightly orders, each holding tenets of their own. But they are united under this excerpt from the Law of Hammurabi: "To bring about the rule of righteousness in the land, to destroy the wicked and the evil-doers; so that the strong should not harm the weak; ...and to enlighten the land, to further the well-being of mankind."

No mages, only priests, Based upon which of the 3 Gods (Ice, Fire, Air, Air being the greatest), that are worshiped, and the amount of faith for said god, that's what the level of power the priest has.

Or so humans think.

Dragons are magical beings, of the three elements, and the magic used by humans is actually only attained through the 1000 year old remnants of the dragon. These are found throughout their city. These remnants coupled with their power of belief manifest magic. The belief is the catalyst, but the dragon is the means. (IE: high priest's garb is made from dragonskin.)

Ironically, the religion portrays dragons as devils and hideous monsters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Playable Races:

UncanonDragonrSizeChartSMALLnew.png

Dragon

: Currently they roam the earth in human form, but to prolong their life, transform back when circumstance allows. A transformed dragon retains the colors of their scales and eyes, making for abnormal-looking humans (Green Dragon → Green-haired human). Their eyes do not change shape or type (dragon eye on a human). They are superior in strength and magical ability to the average human.

images

While fully in the form of a human, dragons become biologically human. Their entire bodily system translates. The hair retains similar color, and their skin is as hard and as thick as their scales; upon magnifying glass-level inspection it can be seen that it is actually a smaller collection of the same scales, masked to appear like human skin. A dragon in his prime physically appears as a human in his mid-twenties to late thirties, depending on the dragon's will, Dragonlings become Children, Drakes become teens, and ancient dragons may take on the guise of older humans. Dragons may age in their human forms, but it is still noticably slower. The year ratio is roughly 3:1 in their human form and 7:1 in their dragon form.

# of Dragons:

3 spots

Human

: Only able to play those that live in Gallace. You can be any human ethnicity that exists IRL. Gallace is not divided by race, only by ideals.

High Noble (Lionhart)

: 3 spots

Noble

: 8 spots

Commoner

: 2 spots

================================================

The 3 Knightly orders:

Teutonic

: Those that glorify power above all else. After all, with power comes capability. This Order holds the largest body-count. They teach and speak german and are a power-based group. The career ranges from townsguard to army general.

DMC_DowntownFire-LogoEmblem-CMYK.png

Lionhart

: The primary Order for rulers of large provinces, the equivalent of Dukes in collection of property. Their focus is one-on-one combat, as this is the only way they are able be killed or judged lawfully. They wield rapiers, mingle with the other two races during educational study (in the Temple), but differ completely in combat training. (Sabre - a mortal battle, this style is reserved for those that have committed reprehensible insult. Epee - for First blood disputes. Floret - for mortal, honorable battle.)

roaring_lion.jpg

Templar

: Priest-Knights that follow the tenets of religion as well as Chivalry. They spend their career giving aid to those that need it, taking only donations. As the most respected among society of all knightly orders, they are subsequently the most difficult to be knighted into. They obey the leader of the religion.

1136233183_uizillaAir.jpg

Lionhart and templar both speak/are taught latin as an educational language.

The Academy:

The Academy is an enormous castle cut into main sections; the dining hall, the training field (there’s a separate one for Lionhart), bedding quarters (4 separate wings), the Temple, and the (the principal) Grand Master’s bedchambers.

It is a place where Knights come and dine, but its function as a school is primarily to train the youths in the basics of knighthood so that they can become an apprentice to a current knight that appreciates their skill or sees potential in them.

An academ can also be knighted in this place. But it is more likely they will be kicked out if they cannot find a knight to serve before they reach the age of 25.

Each Order is given a separate wing of the castle for dorms and private training. A fourth wing is given to the religion, the topmost for Air, middle for Fire, and the lower, underground rung for Ice.

Order initiation is determined by blood, but a test (one a scant few survive) is able to be taken by those age 14 and younger, by which their merit is determined.

Curriculum:

Swordsmanship:

Subject Matter: Games, hitting dummies, practicing technique with heavy sticks and practice shields.

OldPell.JPG

The Pell: a dummy, usually stuffed sandbag, that was made to spin about upon being hit, and pages would practice upon them to practice reflexes and technique

Horsemanship:

Subject Matter: Primarily riding prowress, but the upperclassman learn weapons and archery atop a horse.

1858524285_1385175536.jpg

The Quintain: Used for jousting, and accuracy while on horseback.

Alt:

1603724383_1385175536.jpg

Education:

Subject Matter: History, language, Chants and Magical buffs.

studen.jpg

Strategy (pasttime):

Subject Matter: Playing Chess, a serious sport.

marketing-digital.jpg

Only four of these total.

1 Exam Week at the end of every year where each of these subjects will be evaluated. Based upon the student’s performance, they may be taken on as an apprentice of one of the observing knights.

Classes are optional; the exam is all that really matters.

Artifacts:

The Flamberg - Flame-sword worn by the Hochmeister of the Teutonic knights.

Echod - An intricately designed gown, shines of its own light. Embues the wearer with dragon-like power over the air. (The High Priest of Airesh wears this)

Eternal Light - an ever-burning Coal submerged in water, used during the Initiation trial. (Watched over by Flamberge priests)

Holy Girdle - the wearer spreads a frozen expanse all he or she touches (Eesna high Priest)

"The Promise" - A Dragonscale shield unique in that the dragon used to create it is still very much alive. It's pure white and made from the blood and scales of the Eldest Dragon, the leader of all Dragonkind. It was gifted to the humans in order to cement the truce. It's ice power shatters any blade that makes contact against it.

(willing to add more, and some armor and weapons have dragon's skin and blood in them unbeknownst to the weilder)

============================================

The ForeSworn:

They seek anarchy and destruction. They want to return to the wild and seek after every desire of their heart. Characterized by lack of restraint.

============================================

Added Information:

Current Time: Summer

Month: August

Date: August 13, 1003

Common schedule:

An Academ would commonly spend their day waking first in the morning for prayer, and then heading to the Grand Temple for morning lessons. Then they would adjourn for the morning meal. After having filled their stomachs, they would be taught techniques and guided by the mentors, and for some, horseback riding practice occurs here. Free time follows these lessons, as the mentors either go hunting, visit the town, go for tea, or ride the countryside. They return before sundown, and spend their time practicing the sword by torchlight or studying in the Library. This continues until suppertime, the evening meal. A period of free time follows the evening meal, spent within the Academy’s walls. The bell then rings for evening prayer, and the every priest, academ, and knight meets in the common area, the ground floor, of their respective tower. There they pray and, afterwards, socialize.

Another thing to be added; in every tower, there remains a special mentor; the proxy for the leader of the order. This proxy evaluates and examines every academ, even befriends some of them. They represent and relay the intentions and expectations of the order in the place of the Order leader.

Other things your character may do:

Public Executions occur regularly in town

Parties happen in the town, at the bar

A gypsy troupe visits during the second week, party in the town

(And whatever else you come up with! :D ((if you can, confirm with me first though <3))

A monthly Grand Hunt where visiting knights come and join with the older squires in the sport of hunting. (in this case, August 31st, and the particular hunt is called Sir Gawain’s Hunt, in reference to the hero from the Scouring.) Lots of merchants and fun time in the week before.

Siegfried’s Contest (the Exam): September 23, Fall Equinox. Human paranoia will be at an all-time high this night. Their legends go that it is on the Fall Equinox that the dragons, devils, have their power heightened by the coming darkness, and Airesh and the two lower gods’ connection grows weak with the waning of the sun on this special day. Fear is prevalent. The tournament supposedly scares devils away by showing off the strength of humanity, and their allegiance to even their hindered gods.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Religion:

The belief is as follows; each god has their own set of workers, called artifexi, that are assigned to every relic. Depending on the strength of the artifex, so too will the relic be able to work great feats.

So long as the relic is in hand, the user can be a channel for the miracles the gods shall create. For instance, the invocation of speed is a prayer that causes the wind around the praying person to move in their favor, increasing the speed of their movement and removing the burden from their own bodies. Do feel free to make up your own, so long as you have a ‘prayer’ associated with it, and your character has enough faith to utilize its power.

The Humans perform Theurgy in this manner;

They take hold of the relic, brushing their skin against it, and call out with their hearts to the god that rules over the element of the relic. (Remember that this is their perception)

In the temples, priests train and are trained in the following prayers, and say them again and again until they truly believe that they will work, and magic is performed.

Prayers (also called Invocations):

Airesh (Air): Goddess of Life and Encouragement/Energy

Similar to air dragons, followers of Airesh can control air currents, creating shearing winds, powerful enough to cut flesh.

Speed: Followers of Airesh can channel the powers of wind to increase their speed to superhuman degrees, but going too fast can peel the skin, and even the flesh, from their bodies.

Supportive winds: Alongside the followers of other religions, Airesh Followers can use their winds to increase the powers of flame and ice used by their fellows.

Invocation of speed:

Goddess of wind, bless my blade

Whisper a precious breeze against my back

that my enemies may be pierced

and fallen before me.

Invocation of wind:

Breathe thy powerful breath against my foe

And strike fear of your might in his heart

And not I, but

To Airesh be the Glory

Blades of Wind: (blood sacrifice)

Gracious goddess, your power is true

you are the spirit in my lungs and you guide my every step.

This I request of you, I, your humble and most loyal servant

With your great power, I beg it of thee, answer

and look with favor upon me.

May the air itself turn upon my foe!

Wind Spear: (requires greater blood sacrifice, and greater faith)

May it be known to all men

That Airesh is a goddess of peace and war

And that her greatness

Shall pierce through all that stand against

Her Chosen ones!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Flamberge (fire): God of Purification and Power

While unable to conjure fire on their own, followers of Flamberge are able to manipulate fire that already exists, and generate heat with their presence. They typically run their relic over some other item, heating it up and utilizing it as such. In rare cases, such as equipment, flames can exude from the weapon and cause harm to their foe. But fire is the purifying god, and if the wielder is impure, the priests say, those very flames meant for their foes may consume the user instead. Flame-Users typically carry a torch and tinderbox.

Heating Relic (consider it like a boiling-water level):

I request of thee, Flamberge

My Lord and King, the only one that truly I serve

Join with me here

And make your presence known.

Flame Manipulation:

The flames before me, shining bright,

They be a witness to your might.

As shall I be, should you see fit

To extend to me this holy right;

The dominion of this one flame.

I plead it of you, my god, show favor!

Fire Expulsion (flames begin to coat the relic, and a wave of the item causes them to fly towards the target. Requires blood sacrifice.):

Your purifying flames can remove

An entire generation of evil, and reveal

What is good.

God of Flame and Truth,

Use your power to purge this obscenity before me

And Burn my foe to Ash!

Fireball (requires greater blood sacrifice):

Commit thine power to my cause, O Flamberge,

Look upon me with favor, and touch this piece I hold of you

with the holy flames of power and righteousness

May these flames be united as one

and together, fly into the earth and

Obliterate all that like fools and heathens

Would stand against your will.

-------------------------------------------------

Eesna (Ice): God of Judgement and Objectivity

Followers of Eesna are able to manipulate the three forms of water, though they are better with the solid form. They always carry water with them, just in case, Creating shields, weapons and armour from the ice.

They cause freezing to extend from the relic. And the Theurgy caster has to be careful not to freeze themselves, a double-edged sword aspect from this merciless god.

Freeze water (water flask, connected to relic by a string and freeze it all):

I have prepared a sacrifice of holy water

Purified by Flamberge’s flame

A holy sacrifice for you my god

Take hold of it, my god

And reveal your frozen strength

If this be thy will,

Then let it be done.

Blade of Ice from the water flask:

Eesna! Have mercy upon me,

your unworthy servant!

Please, find something redeemable

within my heart, and show your favor

by joining with me in battle

Become my blade and my protection

That I may mete out your judgement

Upon the heretics and pagan men.

Ice Shield that freezes all it touches:

I am weak without you, Eesna, my god

I will die without you. In your judgement,

find me of worth to intervene, and protect me

from the unrighteous ones and the evildoers.

I pray that you guard me, Eesna!

=========================================

=========================================

Even more information lol:

Lionharts:

Hierarchy: Great Lord → Great Lord’s court, Dukes (The highest blood) → Marquis (Holds a large amount of estate of which other Barons govern) → Count (holds a large amount of estate, smaller than the Marquis’s, and has Viscounts who govern portions of it) → Viscount → Baron (all other families)

Culture: As a culture, they adore art and the appearance of good things, commonly hold balls and welcome singers, troubadours, and the like into their halls with open arms. Most Vicomte and higher ranks hold at least one musician or singer in their court for nightly entertainment. They are blue bloods to the fullest extent, born and raised as aristocrats, to be smart and clean, rich and well defined. Not to say they are spoiled snobs, though in some this manifests as such, but in the sense that they are taught and raised on a higher level than most other men. While they attend other Knight Academies, they often go to a Studium Generale as well. Lionharts believe they actually owe more to their family than they do to their government. Out of all the orders, they are the least likely to unite. The ForeSworn problem mostly bothered some of their bordering trade routes, but mostly they were unscathed by the war. During the war, they paid for a majority of the militia and infantry, they kept the standing armies standing, and mostly aimed to make a profit through investment in weapon’s development.

Government: They’re determined by birth, and they believe in divine right. That the gods choose the first born son/daughter as the heir. The heirage goes in descending order of blood rite. All members are determined to have an heir picked under them, being a family member, or a person they see fit to take the throne. In the case of a dispute, there sometimes brings on the threat of political warfare and civil disputes between families. Economically, everything is mostly privately owned, in the sense that the higher heredities simply own more land, as they do charge the masses for the use of such. All families under the Barons are considered serfs, and all families without money to pay for their own land is subject to serfdom by the Lionharts.

Teutonics:

Hierarchy: Hochmeister (only one elected at a time, considered the strongest warrior and a vote is held annually to determine if he should remain in his position) → Generalkapital (general chapter) (6 of them, one Hochmeister and 5 members, as follows) The Großkomtur...(Magnus Commendator), the deputy of the Hochmeister * The Treßler-the treasurer * The Spitler, responsible for all charitable and hospital affairs * The Trapier, responsible for dressing and armament * The Marschall, the chief of military affairs.→ The Kommende (Komtur in singular form) They rule over smaller portions of lands and return a to the to the higher command. Hereditary Baronage titles are awarded based on their capability and land ownership, but they adhere to the laws and orders made by the Generalkapital. Members of the kommende find themselves moving up and down often in the class due to dueling disputes and objective judiciary absence, but the Generalkapital rarely falls below their high caste.

Government: The Teutons warrior based culture (man, these guys would be so primitive) creates a glory based governmental system. Through dueling and prestige on the battlefield, they decide whom is higher on the Teutonic tree. The Teutonic governmental system is quite simple. The hierarchy can be climbed through the means of combat and duels. But only up to the rank of Generalkapital(s). The Generalkapital(s) would elect a Hochmeister from amongst themselves. If any of the Generalkapital disputed this vote, they were free to duel the Hochmeister if they wanted the position. Generalkapitals are each in charge of a certain districts of land. They are in charge of assembling and organizing the order. They meet annually to vote amongst themselves for a Hochmeister. Hochmeister is considered the prince of the Teuton people, given complete control of the lands. The Generalkapital are five elected members by the Hochmeister. They are in charge of five offices,The Magnus Commendator, the Treasurer, the Spitler, the Trapier, and the Marschall. The government’s offices are often in trouble due to the dueling and the large amount of changing in rank.

Culture:

Bullying is commonplace in Teutonic culture. In viewing it, the observer would nod and continue on their way, expressing in their heart approval that the weak is not being tolerated; that they are forced into a position that forces them to either improve or get out of the way of their betters. As such, those under Teutonic rule are usually either cowards or almost foolishly brave.

Indentured servitude is common throughout, and judicial disputes are settled by duels, but between peasants, they must appeal to the leader in town. A tough group of people, they’re also very practical and rarely accept anything that lacks immediate application or use; as such, they’re not fond of poetry or fine arts. Bathhouses are a point of moral decay among the Teutons, and one that is pointed out often by the other Orders; in these co-ed places reprehensible acts occur, yet the Teutons have yet to combat it in any way.

Teutons have the largest bandit and ForeSworn problem as they reside in the bordering territories, and almost every grown citizen has seen battle at least once in their life. Religion is a matter of war; incense is burned to Flamberge, and at least one temple is in every city, three in their capital; the only city with one temple to each god.

Templars:

Hierarchy: Grand Master (makes laws, ultimate authority) → Seneschal (administers to the lands, handles movement of army) → Turcopolier helicopter(commander of Calvary) → Marshall (General of war) → Draper (determines dress) → Commander of Lands (holds ultimate Judicial Authority) → Positions of land ownership [Casals] (In descending order: → Landless Knights → Sergeants (commonborn soldiers awarded a place in the Order).

Government:

Templars are ruled judicially per province of land, and disputes between high-ranking aristocrats are dealt with by the higher class. Ruling over the populace, the Order is seen as a giver of good things, and made up of do-gooders. They take only donations when it comes to taxes, but are given a large percentage of the religious tithe that they enforce.

Culture:

Templars are philosophical, religious knights; in their temples, wise philosophical thoughts are shared, and the mind is held strong above all except morality. The religion states that the gods gave them the ability to think, and that every thought that passes through their mind was given to them by Flamberge. So, debates and analysis of reality and human nature are exchanged. Consider Plato and Socrates’ teachings as a basis for this area of their beliefs.

These knights would spend the first years of their knighthood travelling the Templar lands and doing good works, and during this time worked as the law, exerting authority even over local province guardsman and judicial systems, and were answerable only to brothers of the Templar Order. During this time, they are called “Gwentmen”; “Wind Men”.

Gypsies and Pilgrims frequent Templar roads, the former rejected and the latter welcomed, for many of the Templar cities are interconnected, and a vast web of interlocking roads spread over the countryside. Templars have the largest assortment of relics and temples, and are quite proud of this fact. Gwentmen secure a moral peace, and are well-loved among most of the populace. On the outskirts and borders of their land, however, control is not so strongly secured, and barbarism and mixing mindsets are found there, and the Gwentmen so brave to travel there rarely return intact. This issue is a matter of debate; though they would send their troops out there to secure their borders, the border disputes with the Lionharts, and especially the Teutons, prevent them from securely securing the border.

--

MAPS:

18so.jpg

Heavily based off Harlech Castle plans. The blue is a wide moat/water/lake, black is the walls, and the green squiggly lines are the forest. Note: guards sleep in the wall towers.

zftr.jpg

first floor

d1sf.jpg

second floor

lol my handwriting is most sloppy, feel free to ask for clarification.

Notes: Every of the 4 towers has 3 levels and a locked cellar stairway that leads to (obviously) a cellar but (not obviously) that cellar has a secret passageway into the sewers which leads to the forest + moat.

There is no inner entrance to the religious tower; it only has an outside door.

Teachers sleep on the top-most floor of the tower.

map-jpg.49653

map2-jpg.49654

--

No one is special. There must be a reason for your abilities, a reason why you're different from anyone else.

Be consistent with the established lore.

Don't be afraid to take your own liberties in the story.

Time Period is equivalent to late 1400s

There is no institutionalized racism or sexism in Gallace. They're too busy hating other nations P:

I'm considering adding: When there is a fight, and an aspect of chance to it, we will roll dice based on context and character ability to determine if it succeeds, unless the two rpers have come to an agreement ahead of time.

But I won't force this. Not unless all agree upon it. I just think it'd be cool :}

--

Killigrew submitted a new role play:

Chivalry - War brews on all sides of Gallace, and you are one of many hopeful recruits at the Knight Academy.

Playable Races:
Dragon: Currently they roam the earth in human form, able to transform back by the amulet at their neck, where they store their magical power. A transformed dragon retains the colors of their scales and eyes, making for abnormal-looking humans (Green Dragon → Green-haired human). Their eyes do not change shape or type (dragon eye on a human). They are superior in strength and magical ability to the average human.

While in the form of a human, their lifespan is that of a human....
Read more about this role play...

Last edited by a moderator:
Relevant Vocabulary:

Students of the castle are called "Academ". They call their teachers "Magister (first name)". Magisters refer to the students as "Academ (first name)".

First years are called "Fledglings" or "Fledges" as a slang term. They are usually used as errand boys/girls for their upperclassman.

10-13 are called "Middlers"

14-16 are called "Majes" (short for Majors)

17-20 are called "Upper Majes"

21-25 are called "Bygones" (derogatory term, if the speaker is feeling polite, they call them "Upper Majes" as well)

=================================

Human NPCs of Import:

Leviticus Braund - Leader of the Templar Order, known for his devout faith and mercy.

Richard Adalric - Leader of the Lionhart Order, current heir of Richard the Lionhart's legacy.

Cassia Orfus - High Priest (aka the Abbas) of Airesh, high master of religion. Known for her strict and dogmatic approach. Very passionate, most students see her as the disciplinarian.

Thomas Rainwright - Head of the Eesna division. Called "Patron Rainwright."

Oswin Yult - Head of the Flamberge division. Called "Patron Yult."

Lifrus Orfus, Son of the Abbas - A one-time priest, he now works as an interceder between the humans and the dragons, and lives in the temple, where the dragons, too, shall reside.

=================================

Dragon NPCs of Import:

Eldest - The only dragon remaining from the days that the Dragon Lords ruled Gallace. Though he secludes himself in the tall mountain, this pure white dragon maintains a powerful influence over the Dragon Oligarchy, and is the primary supporter of the truce with the humans. "The Promise", a pure-white shield given as a sign of goodwill to the humans, was made from his own blood and scales, and holds a fragment of his own soul within it.

And so it begins.....

In the land recently torn asunder by war, tidings of peace begin to sooth once more. Three years of serenity have come, and blessed this land, and now the first steps, the first inclination of harmony between the devils and the holy chosen of the gods.

The dragons have come to Galt.

The city gates open now to allow them entrance, and the guards stare down, some in fear, and some in hatred. They will be welcomed by one man, and only one, the half-mad priest that sees these devils as his king.

The gates close behind the incarnate ones, and the high sun slips down the horizon.

This test of trust begins this night...

Noz'Onn moved slowly alongside his compatriots as they made their way into the human keep. His eyes, glowing a soft red in the low light, scanned the battlements as he saw more than one soldier fingering his crossbow, wishing to kill the newcomers, or terrified that the trio would do the same to them. Nozz tried his best not to laugh, disguising it with a snort, a tiny puff of black smoke escaping his nostrils.

"Do they really think this'd stop us if we shifted right now? It's a little cute, don't you think?" he whispered to the girl on his left. Her name was... Mahl'Iss, or something. Glacier, a name befitting someone with such a cold presence.

"Have you forgotten so soon?" Mahl'Iss returned in frigid whisper. "We are here to make peace rather than childish mischief."

The clunking sound of a massive door creaking open pricked her ears, and she saw a collection of Loride servants straining over the opening of grand temple's two thick, oaken doors.

A scrawny man clad in the intricate, shimmering cloth of a priest approached them with his arms open wide, coming straight from the Cathedral's archway to greet them. "Ay, divine creatures! The sight of you refreshes my mind at once." He dropped his arms to his sides, yellow eyes crinkling with the wide grin that cracked open his face. He stared at the three of them in silence for a time Mal found far too long before his senses returned to him.

"The massive palace behind me," He gestured to the religious building; its societal status made clear by the swirling emblems of each god; the twist of wind, the splatter of fire, and the blade of ice. "is where you shall rest your heads come the hour of slumber. I am certain that it is to your liking" It was an insult, a subtle maneuver to incite strife so immediately after their arrival. Mal was set aback that this priest seemed so ignorant of this fact.

The priest's name was Lifrus Orfus, and they had been told that he was the one man they could trust among the conglomerate of guile in this human stank pot. He, and the man that stood in the shadows beyond him were the few that saw dragons not as devils, but as beings.

Mahl'Iss had heard pretty words said about them; made the prettier when contrasted against the burning anger most of her kind held towards these little souls. But it did little to warm her to them; these two-legged beasts would always appear to her as bugs -- poisonous, deadly bugs that must be coddled.

"Ah, but for now -- though I know not if it suits your interest -- there is suppertime in the dining hall. I suggest," He said cautiously. "You three join the students there. The interaction may prove invaluable."

Mal's lips stretched thin at the thought, but she stayed her tongue, and waited for the others to speak. She would follow their decision on the matter, rather than state her own disdain.

Nozz looked around the man, into the large cathedral. He had zero inclination to sleep in this form, and after decades spent wandering and hiding, the dragon knew better than to shorten his life by sleeping as the Loride did. He was, however, pleasantly surprised. The building, while appearing small, had grand vaulted ceilings, and while it would be impossible to stand in, there seemed to be more than enough space for three dragons to sleep, though it might get a little crowded. Since arriving, he'd been racking his brain for places to escape to for a good night's sleep, but this made him feel a tad less uneasy.

"You read my mind Orfie." He finally said, being the oldest of the three, and having the most experience with humans. "I'm so hungry I could eat an entire horse." He stopped himself when the priest responded with a slow blink. "Not literally. Regular food'll do too. What about you two? These humans can make some mean food when they have the inclination."

Lureana sat at a table at the far end of the dining hall, laying down a plate in front of her. Murmurs were going around about the new dragon students. Biting a piece off a warm bread roll, she watched the other nobles out of the corner of her eye. They all sat around the same table, laughing with false bellows and giggles as they talked amongst themselves. Lureana put her bread roll back onto the plate, picking up a fork and knife before delicately cutting the meat.

The nobles had long grown bored with trying to get information out of Lureana about her mysterious family. No one sat close to Lureana, the closest chum being at the opposite edge of the table she sat at. Finishing the contents on her plate, Lureana glanced out the windows. Dragons coming to the academy was the most excitement the Lionharts had for a while. She just hoped it wouldn’t disrupt her training.

Ma'Arr trailed along behind the Fire Dragon Noz'Onn and the Ice Dragon Mahl'Iss both of whom were his elders. Nozz seemed to be the titular fire dragon; dashing, temperamental, brash. Mahl'Iss was similarly reflective of her own element, cold, precise, sharp, beautiful, intelligent. There was no doubt that Nozz's fire was hotter at the core than what any could see while Mal was the glacier in every aspect, there was for more hidden beneath the surface of a calm sea. The main gates shuddered open before them and they passed beneath walls of the Loride city, despite the tales that other dragons told, Ma'ar was in awe of the humans, dragons could learn a thing from the short lived Loride. As they crossed the threshold into the city the gates began to shudder once more and closed behind them.

Nozz's words drew his attention to the wavering weapons being aimed at him and his cohorts. The faces of the men above were all contorted but there were subtle variations. Some of the men were angry, the hatred of their primitive religion painted plain upon their faces while others hid fear, fear nurtured and cared for by the priesthood. Ma'Ar looked upon those men with pity and shook his head in disappointment. He nodded minutely when Mal replied reproachfully, his parents had explained to him the enormity of their task and he understood it well enough for one so young.

The priest was gaudily dressed in his religious mantle. Ma'ar looked the man up and down but didn't see much in the Loride that he liked. The priest had let go of his sanity if only by a thread, Ma'ar would watch him most of all. Reluctantly he followed along, his thoughts flowing visibly across his face, he hadn't yet learned to mask his thoughts from his body yet, perhaps it would be a skill he'd learn from the two other dragons he would be keeping company.

They were then invited to dine alongside the Loride children, or rather students. Ma'ar sometimes had trouble translating his age into human years, among them he would be an adolescent much like he was among his own, just on the cusp of Drakenhood though in human terms he was already a teenager. He considered the offer and took Nozz's recommendation into though, he had spent time among the human's himself but he much preferred the red meat of prey to the stale burnt yeast mound he often ate when he was a stable boy. He shrugged his shoulders and smiled, his curiosity had gotten the better of him "I will come and eat." Was all he said waving for them to go before the time passed, a thing the humans observed more than dragons. His stomach growled low accompanied by a pang brought on by hunger.

John walked around the dining hall watching everyone, making sure that no one is causing trouble the last thing the mentors need is students fighting each other. He was also just there to see these new dragon students that were supposed to be coming. He didn't have much against them but he think they should keep separated for the sake of both races to live long. He felt incomplete without his helmet and shield which he left in the tower of the Templar's. His stomach was growling violently but he didn't feel like eating all day today as he had an uneasiness in his stomach of these dragon students.

He felt the need to pray but he would do that later but kept it as his top priority as he could almost feel those dragons getting closer and closer. He sat down near the exit of the dining hall but still keeping a vigilant eye on the students as he looked around hoping to see another mentor to talk; they may be in different orders but that doesn't mean they couldn't talk to each other.

"A moving body uniformly acquiring or losing that increment will traverse in some given time a completely equal to that which it would traverse if it were moving continuously through the same time with the mean degree."

"What in all hell is that supposed to mean?"

An unsociable grumbling radiated off the form slumped over a wooden work desk. A quill squiggling upon a piece of parchment and a plume fluttering in the air as the ink scratched and painted itself upon the skin. Circulations of shapes and numbers heading spirals of speeds and distances then an inevitable groan of anguish. Truly a grueling and horrific torture placed upon those seeking themselves mind in subjects of academia. Forced upon those seeking and hoping to be Academ and only increasing itself in difficulty as an Upper Maje. Dealing with the Trivium was enough and was at least somewhat interesting, but the Quadrivium seemed much more like pain in form of writing. This could all be avoided if he would simply accept one of the squire offers from the Teutonic or the Lionhart he would not have to be dealing with all this schooling. Grammar could be a pain at times, rhetoric was difficult but it indefinitely had its uses, logic was of course needed, but the arithmetic, the astrology, the geometry was terribly mind numbing when it came to academics. The music part was tolerable, as long as he did not have to bother with the bones and organs of the works, then mathematics once again became involved and annoying memorization became unbearable. And to think, this could have been avoided.

Another exam was coming up, and it was another one Laurence would be participating in. Once a year, he had promised himself. Once a year he would take the exam and try his skill at the tournament, not for the actual showing of his progress to the knights and orders, but to test and show progress to himself. To remind himself that he is indeed improving. He is getting better, that is what he is constantly trying to remind himself. He is not in some kind of rut, sinking into the damned mud. He should have joined the orders when they first invited him, he sometimes considers, then he could have avoided all this extra academia work. It was not like he needed to go beyond what he knew now. He could get by just fine with the academics he knew, and if anything he should not be focusing on those subjects any longer and simply go on to master strategy and combat. The thought of having to strain any longer over these horrid text books made him want to fall into his bed and dig his nose into the De re militari. He had done with for years now, the academics, he was sure he could go on from them now. Even so, he kept his quill scratching and moving upon the parchment, the plume endlessly dancing in a fanciful nature in reaction to the strokes. This made him feel stupid.

The continuous scribbling only ever pausing to be dipped into the little ink well at his side had come to a slow and sudden stop, ending the sentence. The prolonged pause went on for a moment, as the Upper Maje kept still and motionless besides the gently rising and lowering of his torso making room for his lung's ever tiresome heaving. He kept silent for only a moment longer before quickly signing the parchment, flicking his pin free of ink, then slipping it away into a compartment within the desk. He cleaned the table slightly with a dirty rag that sat on the edge of the desk then wiped off his hands. He checked everything once more to assure himself that the proper amount of organization had been met before moving off his seat and stretching his legs.

He wore a casual attire, instead of the academy's regular dress. He wore a fine doublet, designed by the Lionhart order and gifted to him by one of the higher ups there, most likely some type of bribery. It was finely textured with a beauteous design of the Lionhart's crest on the left breast. It was color coated with their white and their gold, with little metal beads showing where the padding was heaviest. Down the chest it was both buttoned and buckled of which he did not do all the way up, stopping at three quarters. The higher quarter of his sleeve was puffed out, while it tightened at the forearms and ended tightly at the wrists, allowing him ability for an arm band and gloves. He wore some fine trousers, colored a dark hue of black to match with the doublet he wore. It was mostly cloth but had leather sewn in around the thighs and shins, as well it was tied down the groin to keep from loosening. He still wore full boots, the type that reached a small distance up the shins. He found himself more capable wearing them. He would wear turnshoes or ankle boots at times, but rarely. Lastly, he had a baselard from home strapped to the back of his waist and a messer to his left. They were the only real evidence that he came from Teutonic lands. He only wore them as only knights were really allowed to lug around a full assortment of weapons, not that they would want to. Until he was allowed to carry about something much more knightly, he would be happy with the simple knives.

The only reason he had stopped studying was because the grumbling in his stomach had overcome his groans of anguish. He went to the dining hall simply to appease his hungry and tired bodice. When he arrived, he mostly noticed the queerness of the atmosphere. There was an awkwardness in the air, a tension that caused people to keep quiet and to themselves yet attempt a joke. Felt as if a far and barely known relative died. It was not much of a bother honestly. He came for food, not chatter.

As he had pleased, some bread, meat, and pastries were gathered on his plate. It was about dinner time, so all was good. It was food time, and food time was the best time.

So that was two for going to see the humans. It pained her to acquiesce, but with a sigh, she nodded in indulgence.

"Then I have no objections." She gave the strange priest leave to show them the way, and he took up this opportunity with an eagerness beyond her expectation.

They tarried on through the inner ward, met the gazes of the at once terrified and furious guardsmen, made their way past the wide pass of the Academy's entrance hall, through a narrow hallway, and came to a halt at the door. And all the while, Lifrus Orfus jabbered and babbled on all things human. The Entrance hall's 'magnificence' (though it was nothing to match the dragon architecture of old) was made to put awe into the guests that came, and to herald to the glory of the three Orders that presided over this United Land. That was typical of humans; always seeking to appear better than they were. The priest gestured to every door as they passed, declaring the room beyond and its purpose and use. A library was mentioned amongst his incessant prattle, the only piece of useful knowledge Mal heard from him.

"Now, here." They stood just before the dining hall's open archway, Lifrus Orfus had held up a hand to hinder their progress into it. "Will be your first interaction with those of my kind here. Please, be kind to them. Right now ignorance has hold over their hearts and minds, but it is my hope that one day..." He shook his head, a strange half-smile wistful across his features. "One day they will know the truth." He appraised the three dragons, his lowered tone bordering adoration. Then he stood back, allowing them room to pass. But Mal kept back, not willing to enter into this lion's den first, nor alone. Instead, she looked to Noz'Onn, and waited.

when the other two didn't make a move, Nozz took charge. "Age and Beauty first then? Alright." This would be the first time he'd interacted with humans without his disguise, but how different could it be? He shouldered the door as he passed, and looked into the room. There were humans everywhere, some of whom were staring at the newcomers. He waved with a sheepish smile and winked at a nearby girl. "How ya doin?" He said before entering the room proper, looking for a decent meal.

"He claims both advantages; roguish fop that he is." Mal said without ill intent as she watched the fire dragon go in amusement. His immediate interaction with the first girl he saw beget a reaction of absolute silence. A heavy emptiness swiftly overtook the expanse of a room at the perceived 'demon's' coming, but, vexed though she was at this, the ice dragon was undeterred. Mal stepped in after him, bidding their younger companion to follow.

John saw what he supposed were the dragons stepping in. All went silent, and he rose as the second one entered, and stood there examining the two of them and taking their odd hair color and demon eyes. There was a third one he'd been told so he waited for it to enter.

Heinrich stood among the back ranks of the Dining hall, bored out of is mind at having to be here when he could be outside training and doing something useful. He sat in a tipped back chair pretending to read some stupid text on history and watched the newcomers. immediately his eyes were drawn to their strange pupils, so varied in color and vertical like a cat's.

Dragons... A slow smile began forming on his face, and he clapped the book closed with enthusiasm. Standing from his chair, Heinrich threw his arms wide before anyone had gathered the courage to even say hello.

"At last! A reprieve from the monotony! Welcome, creatures! Welcome!"

"Finally someone who isn't terrified!" Nozz called out, waving at the man and snagging a piece of mutton from a passing tray. Using teeth that looked far too sharp for a human mouth, he took a massive bite. "What's going on with you, human?"

"A severe lack of entertainment, Dragon. I must confess, I have long sought to see one of you in your real form. We've all heard the stories but... And don't take it the wrong way, but many of us would love to spar with you, myself included." Heinrich waggled his eyebrows and nudged the creature with an elbow. Anything to get out of this dreary company.

This was the day, was it?

Emmony Nightingale chewed on tempered meat that now tasted of salt and sand, a grittiness brought on by the disgust that now lined her thoughts.

Dragons were to come, some sort of reward for those devils that, as the priests told, had long been the thorn in humanity's side. They were the ones whispering dark thoughts into her mind, that pulled her down when she struggled to stand in goodness and righteousness. To bring the origin of all evil, of every flaw of man, into a sanctuary for the young seemed to Emmie not only thoughtless, but utterly foolish.

The red dragon entered, clad in some semblance of humanity, and the titter of nervous chatter was severed into absolute silence.

The young, impressionable children around her stood, eyes wide as they viewed the devil on his way through the Dining Hall, moving to a table adorned in their supper's food. Emmie watched, too, but she viewed with him, and the female that followed, with unmasked loathing.

And when Heinrich, his name known to her only through unflattering rumor, approached them with such a welcoming front, Emmie stood up from her seat and whispered to her friends that she would now retire because she could not tolerate such an infernal presence, and that it scraped against all things worthwhile and honest.

She was not the first to do so; as she left, head held high, moving for the Templar dormitory, a small crowd began its trickle in avoidance of the dragons.

Only a few, curious and, begrudgingly interested, remained.

John sighed as the numbers of students in dining hall. He decided to second Heinrich's action. "Welcome to the academy! I'm John Mac Tiernan, one of the Templar mentors here" He said approaching them and smiling "I have not seen your kind since the war!" Looking at them seeing dragons filling the skies during the ForeSworn war. The image over took him but he blinked back into reality. "So, who's hungry?" John said as his stomach growled loudly.

"I might have to take you up on that, Templar." Nozz said with a smile as he took another chunk out of the leg of mutton. "I promise to keep it on the ground." he said with a small smile.

"And a greetings to you, Ser Mac Tiernan. Glad to see the humans still have some soldier left after the war." He said, slightly colder with the mention of the war that took his mother's life. He could almost hear Hurricane whispering on his back. "Wouldn't happen to know where the chicken is, would ya?"

"Ha! Oh the tales you could tell, Dragon. I can only imagine how the war would have looked from your, shall we say, birds eye view?" Heinrich laughed, completely unfeeling for those who died. He'd never been big on empathy, and the thought didn't even come across his mind that he might've been somehow rude. "Chickens down on that end, mein freund."

Narathzul was with the dragon priest,though not to greet the dragons. To guard them. The dragons,while mighty,were few. What were three beings of terrible power in the face of the ceaseless legions of Man,after all? The swordsman smiled ruefully at himself. He was just one Man. How was he supposed to protect the dragons from those that wanted them dead? His official title was "Dragonguard",and he wore a signet ring as a symbol of his office. To many,it made him a man to be feared. To many more,it painted a target on his head.

The Teutonic man was wrapping his zweihander in vellum,after the umpteenth polishing,when the dragons arrived. The final three. He knew that he'd recognize two of them,should they assume their true selves. He was a general,for a time,near the end of the war. Their appearance,these "Devils",are what truly shook his belief in the Temple's doctrine. The scarred man stood,plucking up his shortword in it's scabbard,and hitched it to a heavy belt,which he then deftly donned without so much as a glance.

The man's dark green eyes scanned the area for threats,and instantly found an entire army's worth: Uneasy guards,trained marksmen all. Narathzul stood in the shadow of the temple's threshold,ready to act,should he need to. The man was a veritable giant,standing six feet tall,plus four inches in change. He was bulky,like a dragon stuffed into a human's skin. His broad shoulders bore testament to his strength,and his hands were the approximate size and shape of spades.

This mountain of a man was contained in functional finery,fitting his life as a warrior. His trousers,a dark shade of blue,were tucked into armoured boots that rose to his knees,and were undoubtedly hobnailed. A plain white shirt covered his chest,while a heavy blue coat with golden trim and a red liner protected him from the cold,a large belt securing the coat around his waist. He wore his shortsword openly. It was simple,with a two foot blade and long quillons. He spent long hours debating with himself over doing his duties as Dragonguard in full arms and armour,even within the city walls,but eventually decided that the dragons were at risk of assassins within the city,not soldiers.

The dragons before him were very different,as far as personalities went. One was jovial,quite obviously a social creature. Quite likely the Fire dragon. Another,the only woman of the group,was his exact opposite: A veritable ice queen. She reminded him of many of the nobles he used to count himself a number of. The third was noticeably younger,and seemed to find it difficult to conceal their emotions. Narathzul kept silent sentry,and followed the party to the Academy,constantly looking around for less obvious threats.

He found none. The priest gave the a brief tour,and departed to allow the dragons a meal with the humans they were to mingle with. The Fire dragon instantly greeted a girl,plunging the entire hall into a pregnant silence. That's going to be a problem. Another problem made itself apparent as a large contingent of the student body left the hall. Judging by their attire,they were Templars. Of course. Pompous sheep,down to the last. Narathzul's attention was drawn to the two men that approached the dragons,both being friendly. Or,at least,pretending to be friendly.

They'll need to be watched.

The massive Teuton made his way forward. As he passed the other two dragons,he muttered to them, "Keep your wits about you. We're sheep among wolves." He took a position near the Fire dragon,within arm's reach,and nodded to the two "kind" gentlemen that introduced themselves to the dragon. One was a Templar,by admission. "Greetings. I am Narathzul Arantheal. Swordsman and Dragonguard." He straightened himself,and brought his feet together by way of bringing up his right boot,and bringing it down,coming to attention. "And I,too,would like to spar with those who wish it." Ingratiate myself as a friend.

Heinrich let the smile slowly drop from his face when the bulky man spoke up beside him, eyeing the 'guard' up and down with obvious contempt. Anyone who thought these things needed guarding was either mentally challenged or touched by the goddess.

"Yeah, no thanks man. Fighting you would be like choosing to milk cows instead of seeing the county fair. I'll stick with the main attractions." Looking back to the, 'man' as he ripped into some chicken, Heinrich too grabbed a piece of meat and watched.

Nozz felt a scowl flicker across his face at the word 'Dragonguard', but it disappeared in a split second. Who does this human think he is? I've been hiding amongst humans for longer than he's been alive. Typical Loride.

"Nice to meet you Narathzul," was what he actually said. He grabbed a plate and started piling food atop it. "Now, if you'll excuse me. Flying here was hungry work." he added with a smile as he excused himself and took a nearby empty seat.

(walks into room and sits down by himself and begins to eat, everyone avoids him - he is obviously not liked, he has witch hunter sheathed on his plain belt)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back