• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Chivalry: Academy for Future Knights

It was stuffy and humid, a place she couldn't stand but had to make due. The heat of early morn's ray penetrated the cotton of her hideout like an poisoned arrow piercing flesh. She brushed crazed strands of hair away from her face, plotting. Problem was she hadn't spent much time in the village and never bothered to get to know any of the people since well, it didn't seem to matter at that point. Unfortunately, now it did. She sighed, an exhale of air that held regret. What was she getting herself into? The wagon met a hard bump in the road, most likely caused by a lone stone. Her head was yanked down due to the forces of gravity and she swore she saw stars. Fingers brushed the side of her face were she felt something wet and sticky.

"Just darling. Just simply darling." Her hand was coated in red and the coarse profanities that followed would have made her father roll over in his grave. The group of servants heard and gasped back the giggles and hoots of approval. It was the ideology of society that made it seem as if noble children couldn't swear like the common ruffians. Cordelia managed to sway that opinion immediately. She cupped her head, now worrying of how this could affect her plans. Dragons had a good sense of smell. So would they follow the scent or ignore it knowing none of the students were harmed before leaving. Would this be for her or against her, she wasn't sure. Barely noticing as she submerged herself into thought, the wagon stopped abruptly, nearly sending her down for another blow that would have made certain of unconsciousness.

She threw the sheets off, a chilled wind blowing from the east cooling her smoldering skin. Grabbing the collar of her shirt, she ruffled the shirt as to allow the air to cool her off some.

"So here we are! Miss, do yo - By the gods! What happened to your head?!"

Cordelia swiveled around, once more the center of attention. She shrugged, a thin stream of blood mixed with her own perspiration dripping down to stain her crisp white shirt. "I bumped my head. Pure mistake, I assure you." The knight that had offered her a ride on his horse, snorted in contempt. She cast him a icy glare that made him look at the ground with sudden extreme scrutiny. With a huff, she jumped down from the cart brushing herself off of stray hay and dirt.

"U-Um.. do you need any help, miss?" The servant girl was peering at her wound, hidden beneath the layers of hair. Obliviously it wouldn't look good if one of their passengers fell into a faint from blood loss. "I'll be fine." She walked past them, glad to be rid of the questions and observing stares. But nothing prepared her for the sudden push to the ground by a hulking farmer that didn't even glance down to one of his victims. She sputtered, miffed by the whole ordeal, and fully intending to call the fool out for his clumsy actions. However she was forced to stand when a passing mule with sharp black hooves almost stomped over her.

This place was a death trap, she was sure of it.

Cordelia though was all certain that she needed to find an inn or something, some hostile towards the very mention of dragons. So she gathered herself and pushed forward into the bustling shoppers and yelling merchants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lureana watched the dragon from her spot, slowly moving so that she wouldn't be caught, pausing the moment that a claw went into her previous hiding spot. It seemed that it was using smell to try to detect her. Its nose twitched as she took in the scents around her. Lureana quickened her pace. Soon the dragon would be on top of her, and she wouldn't be able to run away from something with its size and speed. She headed toward an area that was less traveled, and hadn't quite been cleared from all its underbrush. She just hoped the increase in foliage would slow the dragon down.

She sunk low and made sure to reapply dirt, and other various bits of nature as she traveled. Running from behind tree to tree, finally stopping under a bird that wouldn't' stop chirping. She started to calm her breath again, watching for the approaching dragon.

Heinrich trudged back into the starting area with his head down and eyes scanning the forest floor in thought. He ignored the magister entirely, finding a rock of appropriate size to sit on to let him ponder more in depth what had happened. Perhaps he was going about this in the wrong way.

Obviously the creatures are not completely stupid, which is highly unfortunate. I'll need to get one alone one of these days and really get at it. Find out what it is they want and promise it to them. I might even actually fulfill that promise if they come through well enough.

"Here." The gruff voice of the magister called from behind him, and he turned just in time to catch a goatskin waterbottle thrown at him. "You'll need to learn how to hide better with that armor if you want to stay alive against this foe."

"One does not hide in armor, Herr magister. It defeats the purpose." Heinrich took a swallow of water to rinse out his mouth and gave the man a brief glance of contempt. He had no time for lectures by men past their prime. "If you want me to fair better against our foe, teach me to fight them, not hide."

Jakob stood with his arms crossed, helmeted head nodding slowly as if acknowledging something only he could hear. "I will."

Areynia watched the game peacefully, standing at the starting area and glancing about as if she was merely observing the weather rather than 'supervising demonic dragons.' Oblivious to how out of place she was she finally wandered over to the familiar face of Jakob and overlooked Heinrich's poor attitude. She had not met the later but he did not appear to like the game. Well, that was a shame. Areynia might have joined in if it wouldn't have meant being chastised, yelled at, punished, and possibly thrown out of her order without a good explanation of why someone of the faith would play with 'the enemy.'

With a particularly blank and vapid expression, she gestured towards the sky. "It's nice weather we're having, don't you think? I love the sunshine, though sometimes gives my a little burn if I stand in it for too long." With sudden realization, she stepped into the shade of a nearby try, scrutinizing herself for signs of red irritation and becoming relieved when there none. "Sir Jakob is right, you know! You can't ambush something you can't hide from, and the element of surprise can be very important if something is stronger than you. Oh, you look very strong, but those dragons are very big, don't you think?" Areynia gave a soft giggle of idiocy despite her somewhat inspired words, turning her gaze back to admiring the leaves and clouds visible through the branches. It was a nice day, even if they didn't appreciate it as much as she did.

Jakob smiled softly underneath his helmet, wondering why exactly it was that the clergy decided to send her along. She seemed a nice enough girl, if a bit simple.

"You are right, Areynia. It is indeed a lovely day. And these dragons happen to be much stronger than us," He nodded to her, and while he spoke in her direction, it was on Heinrich's behalf. "A knight cannot simply run in headfirst to fight a dragon and live. It takes cunning, skill, and a large dose of luck to even get close to a dragon by yourself. The soldiers of old knew this well, and adapted strategies to compensate for their enemies size and ferocity."

The boy did not so much as twitch to acknowledge the unsubtle hint, instead resuming his gaze at the forest floor. Jakob stepped forward a few feet and put a hand on Areynia's shoulder and whispered. Trying not to startle her despite his loud armor and gauntlets seemed a difficult task. "Don't let him bother you, dear."

Areynia smiled at Jakob, not really showing any signs of being perturbed by either of the men with the large, heavy armor. Either she was already used to being around it or she was simply the sort of person that was not easily rattled. It was difficult to discern which was more applicable given her strange disposition. "Very little bothers me, Sir Jakob. Don't you worry," she whispered back and patted his gauntlet reassuringly. "The church doesn't endorse the dragons, but if they did, a game is an excellent competitive bonding activity. I used to play games with my sisters but they usually teamed up with each other against me. It was much better at bonding them with each other than with me." She still retained the smile that had been offered when he first spoke, her face never flinching or falling at mention of a slightly less than appealing memory.

"I have a solution," she whispered with an exaggerated wink at Jakob. Departing his side, she stepped forward towards Heinrich and with an alarming amount of agility she wrapped her arms around him and his rather bulky armor, squeezing tightly. Some of the plates could be heart shifting and sliding in protest against the display of platonic affection. "It's all right. I will stand here and hug you, noble knight, until you find the confidence and energy to participate in the game. I believe in you."

Of course, that wasn't why Heinrich wasn't indulging the silly game. It didn't matter. Areynia held tight.

Heinrich squawked in surprise at the sudden added weight on his side, and flung the woman off of him roughly. He had no love of his fellow students, least of all the church and her cronies.

"Unhand me you slack jawed cretin!" He stood hurriedly, making sure she had no intentions of repeating the idiocy and standing over her.

Jakob narrowed his eyes and began stepping towards the two, slowly taking off one gauntlet as he did so.

Draped over with a ragged traveling cloak that he had robbed from a lonesome peasant, Aduro had trudged through the muck and rain on the western road to the Academy of for Future Knights. No, Aduro had no plans of trying to be enrolled in such an academy, nor did he think he would be accepted ever in his lifetime, but he was very interested in the city that stood on the outskirts of the royal academy.

It wasn’t until early morning that the traveling minstrel arrived in the city that he had been venturing toward for a week and a half. He ditched the tattered cloak outside of the city and continued on, strolling into the settlement. He ambled down the cobblestone streets, his eyes observing the people walking on the roads, and the idle chat ensuing at multiple establishments that he passed by.

Aduro’s rugged beard-covered countenance of black hair appeared rather handsome in the daylight, especially with the large, fashionable, red, plumed hat that he wore atop his head. His red vest was strapped tightly to his chest, showing off his athletic physique. A lute was strapped to his back, and both of his daggers were sheathed at either side of his waist. A multitude of pouches hung from his belt at random areas, carrying miscellaneous items.

After walking for a decent amount of time, the bard came upon a jewelry stall, where a man with a black, hanging goatee yelled at the top of his lungs to try and sell his merchandise. “Jewelry for sale! Gold and silver! Adorned with precious gemstones of various types!”

“Is that so? What’s the cheapest thing you have here?” Aduro asked, resting his hands on the hilts of his daggers.

“Well, there is a ring of brass here! About twenty gold coins will do!” The merchant said, smiling wide.

Aduro hated merchants. They were slimy, just like him, and they sold items for twice their value. But he had a plan. “Yeah, I’ll take that. Here’s twenty gold,” the minstrel said, grabbing one of the pouches off his belt and pulling out twenty gold coins. He dropped the gathering of currency into the merchants hand and grabbed the brass ring from the stall. “Thank you.”

“You’re very much welcome sir!” The merchant replied, smiling wide.

“Here let me try it on,” Aduro mumbled, slipping the brass ring onto his ringer finger. “Hmm… fits nice. This should be a decent buy.” The minstrel held his hand up to the light of the sun, watching the light reflect off the brass material of the ring. He then tried to take it off, and… the ring wouldn’t budge.

The merchant’s face instantly jumbled together. “That can’t be! My merchandise is flawless!” The merchant exclaimed, his jaw drooping and his eyes holding a look of complete and utter disbelief.

Aduro continued to pull at the brass ring, but it wouldn’t slip off his finger. A glare formed in his steel-grey eyes, his head apathetically raising until they met with the eyes of the merchant. “You… you ripped me off you piece of shit!” Aduro shouted, slamming his fists into the stall, making everything displayed upon its surface rattle and vibrate.

“No sir! It wasn’t mean, I swear! Here, let me help you get the ring off,” the merchant proposed, coming around his stall and placing his hands upon the ring firmly grasped around Aduro’s finger.

“All right, get ready to pull then,” Aduro said, rolling his eyes and lowering his center of gravity somewhat. The merchant nodded and looked at Aduro for a split second before tugging on the ring with all of his might.

The ring immediately came flying off, sending the merchant falling backward into a gathering of crated chickens. They squawked and struggled to release themselves from the crates as the merchant fell upon them. Feathers burst upward from one of the crates, and Aduro couldn’t help but slightly grin at the sight of that.

“Well thank you sir for your time. You can keep the ring,” Aduro said, turning around and walking into a crowd of men and women that were strolling down the street.

“But sir! You haven’t been repaid!”

There’s no need. Those were the words Aduro thought in his head as he escaped from the scene of the pickpocketing. Yes, Aduro at that very moment was slipping his own twenty coins along with two hundred more that had belonged to the merchant.

“Wait, what… no, no, no… wait! Someone! Someone stop that man! He robbed me!” Aduro heard the man say behind him, which caused the thieving minstrel to pick up his pace, moving through the throng of men and women much quicker now. He turned the corner swiftly and broke into a sprint, looking behind him slightly, but not seeing any pursuers. He turned left down another cobblestone street and followed it down until what seemed like the edge of the city.

As he looked over his shoulder, Aduro had not expected what was going to be in front of him once he turned back around. Frankly, he ended up trucking the young woman Cordelia.

The escaping bard had smashed into the woman so abruptly that he sent her falling backward to the cobblestone, with his own body flying over her and skidding across the ground. His lute went flying off his back and landed somewhere to the side. “Shit…” Was all Aduro could mutter, but it was mostly under his breath as he stood up slowly, rubbing his bearded jaw that had come into contact with the cobblestone road pretty hard. Surprisingly though, his hat had not fallen off. Now that was talent.

He immediately turned around to see what he had just ran into, and it was probably what he feared most. A beautiful woman. In his mind, Aduro cursed at himself, because it always seemed like some stupid shit seemed to go down and he would end up closing down the shop for a later bedding by an unbelievably attractive woman.

“My sincere apologies Miss. If you didn’t notice before I… bumped into you, I was in a high-speed chase from some fairly insane individuals if you ask me,” Aduro said to the woman as he gently grabbed her left hand and guided her back up to her feet.

Damn. That was the first thought Aduro had in his mind when he saw her face fully. Long, nearly platinum blonde locks and large almond eyes of a light shade of brown that could make any man remain in her stare. But he didn’t show any of his thoughts. That’s not the type of man he was, nor would he ever be.

Aduro took a pause to let the woman’s hand free and gather his lute and return it to the straps upon his back. He then returned to her, hoping she wasn’t too much of a wrathful woman.

“Again, I’m undoubtedly sorry for causing you such a fall. Wait, is that my doing?” Aduro suddenly said, hinting toward the thin layer of blood at the top of Cordelia’s forehead.

Areynia deftly recovered her footing as if being thrown off someone was something she was quite used to. Steadying herself with her staff to prevent wobbling to the floor, it gleamed in the errant rays of light that struck it. The absurd smile on her face had no departed and she looked at Heinrich without anger or malice. It would take quite a bit more hostility if he wanted to incite anything with such a socially-minded creature as the priestess. It was fitting that she had selected the aspect of ice for external situations slid off the slick surface of her personality with sticking and exacting change. "I was just trying to encourage you. It seemed like you lacked the confidence to participate with your armor- why else would you stay here?" Her tone and words remained friendly even if they were slightly challenging to his courage. She managed to convey general confusion and puzzlement over his lack of participation- which was not a stretch given some nuances of her disposition.

"Oh, I understand. Perhaps you abstain out of reverence for the church. I'm afraid I'm only to report whether or not the dragons show any demonic or outwardly malevolent signs. I promise not to tell to the church if you lose the game either." Areynia looked up at the looming figure without a singular trace of fear. Many people were taller than her- especially men- so it wasn't as intimidating as Heinrich might hope. She had also been raised around men in armor, which took away a certain amount of fright as well. Lastly, Jakob was there observing and he wouldn't necessarily allow Heinrich to strike Areynia for (of all things) a hug and prodding for him to indulge the exercise.

Heinrich opened his mouth to lay into the buffoon of a woman when he noticed Jakob coming to a stop behind her, and he clamped his teeth together hard enough for it to be audible. When he finally had his anger under control, he answered the acolyte with as much of a condescending aura as he thought he could get away with.

"If you hadn't been so busy trying to rub two thoughts together, you would have noticed that I have already played and lost the game. Do you think I sit here idly by choice?" He scoffed at the absurdity of the thought, shaking his head at her and wondering why anyone would assign her to something as important as their group.

Probably for the sole reason of annoying me.

"When we do something of actual importance with these dragons, there you will see me victorious. Not this make-shift, hodgepodge attempt to get us to play nice."

Areynia found herself rebuffed again but yet her demeanor remained cool, calm, and collected as might be expected from a follower of Eesna. She paused only momentarily, her expression even as the insult hung in the hair, so recently spoken. It was not just heavy plate that he armored himself with but arrogance at well. For a brief moment she appreciated how patient Jakob had to be under the difficult circumstances. How could he expect to win at anything with the dragons if he was eliminated so quickly during a simple game of hide-and-seek?

"Something of importance? It seems no one is quite prepared yet to face the dragons yet in a spar in their truest forms. What sort of exercise do you recommend? Venturing into Foresworn lands?" The priestess was clearly humoring the young lad as she had voiced her approval of Jakob's game. As frustrating as Areynia and Heinrich found each other, the former was determined to forge some sort of friendship. Heinrich might be opposed to her efforts (and likely was) but they had considerable time until this game was over and there was no one else in the clearing except the two of them and Jakob.

"If the academy allowed for such a venture, yes. It would better serve both our training and lands to test our mettle against actual foes. This training regimen is a farce."

Heinrich crossed his arms over his chest, confident that even someone so obviously dull as she could see the argument was lost.

Jakob still stood silently behind the acolyte, eyes impassive behind his winged helmet. For some reason this bothered Heinrich even more than if he'd lashed out in defense of his training methods.

It had never been an ability he posessed, remaining calm at being ignored.

"Except if you fail here, you are merely sent back to the clearing. If you failed there as you did here, you'd simply be dead and perhaps your comrades as well," Areynia remarked somberly. No doubt this response would anger Heinrich, but he was so wrapped up in his own sense of prowess he had difficulty seeing the world for what it was. No matter what steel you were clad in, the size of the sword you wielded, or the magical protections blessed upon you, around every corner was a threat to life. Some were miniscule and improbable, but others were looming on the horizon ominously for the perceptive. Some part of the young priestess wondered if he wouldn't meet a tragic end by overestimating his abilities and refusing the help that was offered.

Turning on her heel and using her shimmering staff as a walking assistant, she wandered back towards the tree that had provided her shade before. It led her out of Jakob's physical reach and protection, but she didn't anticipate Heinrich doing anything more than throwing around hostile words. She glanced upwards and considered that there might be a better vantage point from one of the higher branches. It was a little risky, but neither man was providing her much in the way of conversation. The elder was silent and the younger confrontational beyond what could be expected. Putting the implement on her back through a set of straps that were added on top of her robe for that exact purpose, she then propped her right foot on her a lower branch and began to try to scale the massive plant.

Areynia would have liked to boast that she was an expert at climbing trees, but it was quickly apparent she was something as a novice. Only a few feet up and she was struggling to determine the best way to gain more of a height advantage without relying on lesser, thinner branches for support they could not possibly provide. Had other members of the church been here they might have scolded her unconventional way of attempting to fulfill this task- but she was sent to observe. What better way was there to observe than to look out above the canopy to see where the dragons had flown off to?

Heinrich brushed invisible dirt from his shoulder when the woman finally excused herself, huffing in annoyance at her gall to question someone years above her abilities. He had beaten every other student on the grounds, plus the instructors. Even Jakob couldn't hold back his aggressive approach. So why was it that everywhere he went, people refused to believe he might be better than them? The lack of respect for his god given abilities appalled him endlessly, but then, jealousy was an ugly beast.

Resuming his seat on the rock with one last glance for Jakob, he muttered under his breath, "Won't bring my damn armor next time."

Mal caught the flash of movement in both sight and scent. The human scurried through the bushes, the static of its rustling an assurance of the human's presence.

Mal locked on. One burst of wings tore her through the bushes, and she dived through them, breaking into a wild earing, where movement was none and stillness breached her sight. Luckily, Mal still smelled Lureana. While it only workd in ways of approximation, it could be greatly narrowed down by Mal's other capability, one she was taught after reuniting with Dragonkind.

A low breath hugged the ground, emanating out from Mal's body and nostrils, coating the ground. She could feel the familiarity of cold as it puffed out, and that was why the heat of living things seemed so suddenly recognizeable. and as the cold touched the feet of a living thing, and it did not scurry from it in the speed nor shape of a mouse or animal, Mal struck.

She dove forward, claws outstretched, tearing between trees beyond which Lureana stood. The dragon huffed at the sight of her, and should she try to run, Mal would spit upon her feet and snatch her up. Yet for now, she faced her, neck arching up as the head came down.

@Auren

Cordelia looked to the man who had nearly killed her. How many hurts could she have in one day? She felt like taking out a list and naming them along the way. She brushed herself off, dirt and pebbles falling from her in a small shower. Irritable, tired, and so many other things, she finally looked to the man. "No, but if you wish to take the blame I will gladly give it to you." She breathed a sigh, brushing her hair to cover the wound. It was embarrassing, showing off her lack of grace and ability of balance.

She waved a hand, dismissing her anger. It was useless if not only pointless. She had more important issues at hand other than a stranger. "Nevermind, sir. It doesn't matter." Cordelia walked away from him, heading in the same direction he came from. If anyone was chasing him then he won't follow where he just left. She held her head, a throbbing pain forcing her to stumble. It was only by luck, that the place where she placed her hand was a doorknob. A doorknob that belonged to what seemed to be a shop. A shop to what, she didn't know, but she didn't care.

“Which means I obviously didn’t cause you to bleed. Well, that’s good I guess,” Aduro said after Cordelia’s irritated remark toward him. Once she started walking away, deeper into the city in which he had just fled from, he could only curse in his head.

The minstrel turned his body sideways back toward the driver of the wagon that Cordelia had just hopped out of before he trucked her. “What the hell’s up with her?” Aduro asked, his face clenching together in perplexity as he turned his head sideways and looked at the departing woman.

“I frankly dunno,” the wagon rider retorted, shrugging as his eyes followed the woman as well.

“Probably got mugged. Seems to dampen a person’s mood usually,” Aduro began, looking back at the wagon driver with a grin. “Speaking from personal experience of course.” The controller of the wagon smiled at that, chuckling somewhat as he shrugged again and pulled his wagon away from the city, heading down another road that veered away from the settlement.

With that, Aduro readjusted his plumed hat so it concealed his eyes and jogged after the woman. Hopefully none of the guards, or the man he pickpocketed, would see him. Of course though, he had rounded two corners in his escape, meaning he would have to turn left down an upcoming cobblestone street, but yet, Cordelia did not do such a thing.

Yet another win for Aduro that made him clench his right fist in victory as he slowly pursued the maiden. When he caught up to Cordelia, he slowed his jog until he was halted fully. He was breathing a bit heavier, but because of his natural athleticism, he wasn’t too worn out.

“Where’re you headed off to? Seems like you’re in a hurry to get rid of someone that just knocked you on your ass, which I respect thoroughly, but I was just wondering what gave you that bloody mark on your head. I know, I know… you’re gonna say, ‘Oh here’s another guy wanting to care about a beautiful girl,’ but honestly I’m just curious. I just wanna know if you got punched, kicked in the face by a mule, or maybe if it was a more unique incident. C’mon, quench my thirst. Tell me what the hell happened to you, so I can go on with my day thinking of the girl that got her head cracked open,” Aduro explained, smirking somewhat at Cordelia as she clutched the doorknob of the shop.

She tilted her head waiting for him to finish his tirade. Fingering the handle, tracing the smooth but dirty knob, weathered from all the years, she glanced at him from the corner of her eye. He was so clueless, a cheshire smirk toying the edge of his lips. She twisted the door handle, finding it was open. For a long moment, she completely ignored him, turning her attention to the darkened windows. A dim gleam, candle light, glowed in the far corners, barely enough to be actually safe. She then looked past him, towards the road that led back to the school. Not a single person in sight.

In the back of her mind, the part that wasn't rattled, she had thought she'd seen a dragon breezing over the small and insignificant town, disregarding the consequences to follow. Deep inside, she had hoped that would happen. The game would be forgotten, her vanity still intact, and a show performed as one (if not more) dragon would be gone, as if they never existed. But then she looked back to the man who stubbornly stuck by her side. Dream flung and killed.

"I don't see what business it is of yours on whether I'm even alive. You, a stranger should disregard me, since I don't plan to stay in any part of your life nor should you plan to stay in mine. I could care less on whether you save maidens or not. I am a maiden in some respect, I am in need. I am in need to be rid of you. So perhaps instead of thinking... you should turn around now and walk away before you end up with more than a skinned chin."

She spoke not with hatred or disdain, but in a simple tone that spoke of fact. An order even. She had no time to waste with this man and his lute, which she had stared at before he put it away. Cordelia huffed, and walked through the door and flung it shut behind her. With a roll of the eyes, she peered through the darkness, reaching her hand out to find something to hold, touch, guild, anything. She found a shelf, a shelf filled with small animal skulls.

Cordelia rolled a tiny skull in her hand, fingers wiggling through the gaping holes in where eyes once were and teasing the blunt teeth. Squirrel, she decided. "Hello? Is anyone here?" No answer. She breathed through her nostrils, a short puff of aggravation as she pushed herself further to explore the shop. She caught scent of something bitter, herbal bitter and she wrinkled her nose. Disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The minstrel’s smirk faded away when the woman before him acted beyond rude. It wasn’t many of times that a maiden saw through his façade of charm and falsities. “And I’m in need to know why you have a tight rod up your ass,” Aduro retorted as she entered the shop and closed the door behind her.

What a bitch. Aduro could think nothing else as he grabbed one of the pouches from his belt and pulled out a lockpick. Oh, he knew the door wasn’t locked, and he could’ve followed her if he wanted to, but now that she was being an utter asshole, he thought he would do some asshole work for himself. And so he used the lockpick to disconfigure the door before taking the entire knob off, piece by piece. He tossed the pieces of the doorknob onto the cobblestone street and returned the lockpick to his pouch.

“Serves your strung up ass right. Now you’ll have to shatter a god damn window if you wanna get out,” Aduro said to himself, resting his hands on the hilts of his daggers as he strolled off, going farther down the road in which Cordelia had been traveling until she had entered the random shop.

He honestly had no idea where he was going. Aduro had escaped the law of Lionhart, and now was lying low from the law of this city. He was greatly considering venturing off into another part of the lands if nothing interested him here. The woman had interested him, yes, but she happened to fit the stereotype for one of a beautiful appearance: she was mean as shit. But of course, so was he in his own right.

It may have been that he was thinking for his buddies down low, but of course, he did that constantly and it wasn’t anything new.

Lureana was not surprised by the quick movement of the dragon. Her eyes widened as the air around her grew cold. Was that the dragon's power? Not long after, Mal was staring down at her. Lureana smiled, and slid from around her hiding spot.

"It seems you found me," she said as she met the dragon's gaze. She held out her hand with a small smile. "Good game," she said, waiting for a shake. Then she realized the dragon had rather large "hands" and shook her head. "I apologize. I seem to have forgotten the size difference," she motioned from her hand to the dragon's.

"I'll see you back at the meeting point," she said and bowed before heading back to where the magister was. She pulled the pine needles out of her hair as she walked. She grabbed her handkerchief out from her pocket and wiped the dirt and bits from her skin. She tried to wipe the grime off her clothes, but the bits seemed to stay. Instead, she removed her outer tunics and armor. She had just placed them over her arm when she re-entered their temporary camp. She still wore a thin black shirt and pants. Smudges of dirt that she had missed covered her skin, and she smelled very strongly of the forest around them.

"It seems that we are still waiting on our last teammate,"she commented as she set her things down next to a fallen log. Lureana still held her dinged handkerchief in her hand and she threw it atop her things. She was strange for being a Lionhart, having a humbler upbringing than most in her class. She glanced back towards where the dragon's had gone. Perhaps she would have to ask them what would be a better way to hide from their detection, other than covering herself. Though it had worked for a while, it did not keep her hidden from the dragon's power.

She placed her hand over her mouth as she thought, and her eyes glossed over. After a moment, she looked up and glanced at the acolyte and the two men. "Is there something wrong?"she asked, seeing the men's expressions. She didn't expect much of an answer, seeing as most men of the Academy had a terrible problem with their pride, a trait she often wounded whenever she engaged in combat with them. Instead, she turned her attention to the acoylt that seemed to be having quite the time climbing a tree.

Lureana walked over to her and smiled politely, as her Lionhart training told her to do when given a situation she'd like to giggle at. "Need a hand?" she asked, "Or shoulder?" She patted her own shoulder. She looked around at the other trees and motioned to another nearby. "Or perhaps a tree with stronger branches?"

"Nothing wrong, Academ." Jakob finally pried his glare from Heinrich's back to look at the other students. "If it so pleases the rest of you, the last contestants are already decided and you may return to the academy. For those who go, the group will be quizzed on best techniques for avoiding detection by dragons. I would suggest the library, after dinner." He smiled briefly for the two women, though they couldn't see it behind his helm, and returned to his contemplation.

The boy would be a problem, of that much he was growing more certain every time he spoke. A pride of that caliber could fell the best and most skilled warrior, much less a student. Jakob clenched his hands subconsciously as he mulled the problem over, trying to use his tactically oriented mind for teaching purposes rather than a battlefield. Obviously some students were best in certain roles, but a team only worked well if the members got along.

Arr'muhil has been circling about in the air being genuinely confused on what exactly he should look for at this point. He continued to scan the area...and then. "Oh hoo hoo, looks like I have found four little buggers working together trying to hide at the starting point! Very clever thinking!" Not necessarily realizing that those so-called "buggers" were Jakob, Heinrich, Areynia, and Lureana; he landed down about 10 yards away from them with a thud.

"Aha! I have found the four of you! Trying to work together and hide back at the starting point huh?" As he took a closer examination his giant jaw went slightly agape and his eyes shifted back and forth with a embarrassed expression. "W-well. This is uh, awkward. Yaaaaa........ ALRIGHT BYE!"

And just with a blink of an eye he quickly took back off into the air following another scent.

"Ahhh, this has to be one of the hiding humans ya? Oh ya, this definitely has to be another hider." He confidently increased his speed towards where Lureana's former hiding place thinking a human is still there. But in reality, he is only picking up her scent that was left behind there. Armel landed down another ten yards away from his "target" and slowly stalked upon the location. He then poked his giant head through a bush with an excited look and said "AHA, FOUND YOU!" Just to see a rather horrifying image of Mal staring back at him. "Ohhhhhhh dear. Um.....huh. Well then. Uhhh. Hmm....yaaaaaaaaaaaaa. ALRIGHT GOTTA GO!" Armel began to start is flight back into the air with the intent of getting as far away from her as possible.

"What? Oh yes, I'm fine. Just climbing this tree to get a better look at the dragons. I was chosen to come here and observe them, you see, and make sure everyone behaves themselves." Of course her notion of 'climbing' was being a mere few feet up the tree in an awkward position, her arms wrapped securely around the trunk while she tried to encourage her feet to find enough support to climb up. The sturdy branches on the specimen she selected were still too high and out of her grasp. There was a strange shuffling motion and she managed to hug-shift-lurch up another precious couple inches. Areynia had forgotten the suggestion of another tree as soon as she made her tiny triumph and beamed proudly down at the female warrior. "Oh, I apologize- I'm not sure we've been introduced. I'm Areynia." The absent-minded acolyte extended a hand in greeting- one of the pair that was stabilizing her grip on the tree.

Already started to precariously dangle with one arm deserting its post, the dragon called Arr'Muhil abruptly landed nearby with an exclamation about finding them trying to hide. Areynia was yet again distracted, staring blankly at the large, mystical creature with slightly slack-jawed awe. As he took flight and departed she was snapped out of her reverie- and her position. Her right leg trembled and slipped, her left jerked with a mind of its own to compensate, and she unceremoniously fell straight towards the ground. Fortunately it was only a few feet below her, but unfortunately she was still quite near Lureana. In fact, should the female not nimbly dodge the flailing robes, they might find themselves in a slightly disgraceful pile of tangled limbs. Curiously, Areynia was heavier than she appeared.

The human took defeat quite graciously. Mal bobbed her head proudly at the good sport, and watched the human go with the dragon equivalent of a smile: a slight wag at the tip of her raised tail.

There then ought be only one more human to find. Mal turned her nose towards the unearthing of the blonde Cordelia now, and determined to seek out Noz'Onn, for he ought be the closest one to her.

The icy blue dragon had only just turned her muzzle to the ground and was prepared to backtrack when out of the sky, from between the tops of trees, exploding in a scattering of leaves and branches, descended upon her Arr'Muhil.

The air dragon exclaimed at once that he'd found some human before the words died in his throat and he recognized Mal for what she was. The ice dragon snorted.

"Halt, Airheart." Mal called out, curling towards the white one. "Let us search in tandem, shall we? I desire that this bout done with soon."

"Well, I am glad to hear that." And out from behind a tree traipsed Noz'Onn, a half-smile alight his smug face. "The third one of the humans wants to make this as difficult as possible. Being where she is, I can't help but feel the decision was personal."

He surveyed their dragon faces, seemed to think their expressions lost, and grinned. "Cordelia, the bright of hair? She's hiding amongst the villagers. Her scent trail disappeared around the city's edge, and I saw the tracks of an old cart that lead down there. So she's pretty well insulated. I was thinking of setting a house on fire, but..." Nozz glanced at Mal, and smirked.

He raised both his hands in a human gesture of helpless confusion. "So. Any ideas?"

Lureana nodded at the Magistr, but she had already scoured the library after many of the other training sessions. She found very few books left on the topic of dragons there. The rest seemed to have disappeared.

"Sir, I mean no disrespect, but it seems that many books on the tactics in which the heroes of old used against dragons has gone missing from the library. The ones that are left have very little helpful information,"she said, her gaze even with Magistr Jakob.

Then, she turned her attention back to the acolyte. She bit back a smile as the woman, Areynia, seemed to have a pigeon's attention span. She barely paid the dragon any mind when he appeared at camp, only to immediately disappear, as she moved closer Areynia. She didn't look stable when she tried to shake Lureana's hand, and the other's arrival did not help the situation.

While Lureana was very agile for her size within a battle, she was not the strongest female in the class. So, when Areynia began to fall, Lureana made an attempt to catch her as her instincts directed her to. Moments later, she found herself in a tangle of limbs and cloth with a surprisingly heavier-than-expect acolyte atop her. She didn't react for a few minutes, but then she began to laugh.

Lureana pushed some of the excessive cloth of the cloak off of her and placed a hand behind Areynia's shoulder as she gently pushed the woman upwards. When she had moved out from under the acolyte, she smiled.

"Maybe we can try another tree this time?"she said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back