• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Chicago | An Alternate Reality

So I'm thinking my character is an American(English/German origin) who uses Earth magic and is a scholar. He got drafted to fight in the war where he lost his entire arm. Now, he is an irritable professor at the university(or the equivalent of a university within this world) who teaches and demoralizes the people wanting to study earth magic.

Im gonna need to know about the nature of the war in order to write some flashbacks though.

So I'm thinking my character is an American(English/German origin) who uses Earth magic and is a scholar. He got drafted to fight in the war where he lost his entire arm. Now, he is an irritable professor at the university(or the equivalent of a university within this world) who teaches and demoralizes the people wanting to study earth magic.

Im gonna need to know about the nature of the war in order to write some flashbacks though.

Hmmmmm.
Gonna say no currently being a professor - as it puts you too far away from the action. A Vet who came back to find his position had been replaced and it was believed he wasn't mentally fit to help students anymore.

Hence now suffering in Downtown. Maybe doing his best to help others in his own irritable way. Perhaps his Arm was frozen off or something, giving him fear of that element. Or maybe his own magic has been severely depleted due to PTSD or just general trauma.

Ww1 suuuuucked

Gonna say no currently being a professor - as it puts you too far away from the action. A Vet who came back to find his position had been replaced and it was believed he wasn't mentally fit to help students anymore.
Hence now suffering in Downtown. Maybe doing his best to help others in his own irritable way. Perhaps his Arm was frozen off or something, giving him fear of that element. Or maybe his own magic has been severely depleted due to PTSD or just general trauma.

I was thinking of the arm being lost in an explosion which makes him despise Fire users. But with fire being common I guess a hatred of Ice users can be a bit better. I kinda want him to be quite proficient with the Earth magic so that he can do cool stuff with his rock arm. I'm thinking that he lives in a small apartment near the south end of the West City, closer to downtown where he goes up north for a security job or a building job. I'm still unsure of what exact job he would have though. Maybe he could be a bodyguard or something.

I was thinking of the arm being lost in an explosion which makes him despise Fire users. But with fire being common I guess a hatred of Ice users can be a bit better for him as a character. I kinda want him to be quite proficient with the Earth magic so that he can do cool stuff with his rock arm. I'm thinking that he lives in a small apartment near the south end of the West City, closer to downtown where he goes up north for a security job or a building job. I'm still unsure of what exact job he would have though. Maybe he could be a bodyguard or something.

Aha, I'm nerfing you hard buddy. Anyway having his Arm FROZEN off is way way cooler. Pun not intended. I want him struggling to use his magic because that can be the reason he lost his job to begin with, and something he can deal with over the story. If that sounds good.

And he could just be living on handouts. Or still have some money from his professional days. Or maybe he takes tips/cash from those he tutors that can afford it. But still borderline poor.

Aha, I'm nerfing you hard buddy. Anyway having his Arm FROZEN off is way way cooler. Pun not intended. I want him struggling to use his magic because that can be the reason he lost his job to begin with, and something he can deal with over the story. If that sounds good.
And he could just be living on handouts. Or still have some money from his professional days. Or maybe he takes tips/cash from those he tutors that can afford it. But still borderline poor.

The thing about the arm being frozen is that within a war scenario, I don't think that ice users would be in the frontlines where he would be especially with how rare they are. With fire being the main offensive output, I'd imagine that every branch of the army would utilize them. The Air force could have air users + fire users working together, the navy could have water users + fire users working together and land troops would probably have earth users + fire users advancing in squads. I am thinking that each land squad has numerous fire users for offense and one or two earth users for defense which is where he would be. This is where things get tricky as I'd imagine that Ice users would not be fighting face to face with people. They would rather be used to operate the machinery and the artillery because they can rapidly cool them down and etc.

In terms of his economic situation, I'm thinking he still has some money left over from his previous job with him now working something low-wage.

And as for his powers, maybe it could be a thing where he can "comfortably" control the soil in his arm as he is familiar with it, but has trouble lifting or manipulating anything else.

The thing about the arm being frozen is that within a war scenario, I don't think that ice users would be in the frontlines where he would be especially with how rare they are. With fire being the main offensive output, I'd imagine that every branch of the army would utilize them. The Air force could have air users + fire users working together, the navy could have water users + fire users working together and land troops would probably have earth users + fire users advancing in squads. I am thinking that each land squad has numerous fire users for offense and one or two earth users for defense which is where he would be. This is where things get tricky as I'd imagine that Ice users would not be fighting face to face with people. They would rather be used to operate the machinery and the artillery because they can rapidly cool them down and etc.

In terms of his economic situation, I'm thinking he still has some money left over from his previous job with him now working something low-wage.

And as for his powers, maybe it could be a thing where he can "comfortably" control the soil in his arm as he is familiar with it, but has trouble lifting or manipulating anything else.

This is all true, but c'mon.

Getting you arm frozen off.

That's fucking neat.

Ooooh! This is interesting! how about a bartender with ice magic who runs a back alley speakeasy and seems to know everything about everyone. And may or may not have the best iced drinks in the city

Putting out a final check for anyone who would like to join. We've got a fantastic group!

Chicago.

Some days it feels like this city is going to the dogs. Everyone is on the take. The DA. City Hall...even some of the cops walking the beat. They say it ain’t even safe to walk the streets at night unless you’ve got a gun or...a handful of fire. Everything really went to hell after the war. Well - the war was Hell. Everyone knows that. And with Europe gone, it leaves us to clean up the mess. More refugees are coming everyday. Unauthorized magic, contraband, illegal weapons...it’s all pourin’ into this city.

Chicago. They say it’s the city that never sleeps.

But I say it’s only a matter of time before this place becomes a nightmare.

Detective Leroy Herman

Private Investigator.

Chicago is a alternate universe RP set in the 1920’s, where fantasy-style magic exists. The ability to wield magic is available to every single member of the human race, with each individual capable of harnessing an element with adequate training and study. Magic is however, strictly controlled and regulated.

Air - able to manipulate air, breathe anywhere and create blasts of wind.

Earth - Create, manipulate and shape earth, rocks and stone.

Fire - Create and manipulate fire, flame and heat.

Water - Control water, mold it into a desired form.

Lightning - Power over electricity, weather manipulation.

Ice - Freeze things in solid ice, shoot beams of freezing energy.

Light - Healing abilities.

Magical abilities are highly dependent on one's position in the social hierarchy. The poor and downtrodden are only capable of the weakest magics, while the ruling classes are capable of wielding great powers. The ruling class also lives in great opulence, separated from the crime and problems that plague much of the city. However, you can learn new abilities as you continue in the story, through study, tutelage and other means.

Technology is somewhat basic compared to the real 1920s, as people rely on magic to power the city and manage their daily lives. Transportation is more advanced, while weaponry is slightly more antiquated.

The world is similar, and yet dramatically different to the real world. Access to magic has put Humanity on a more destructive course, with World War 1 reducing most of Europe into a uninhabitable wasteland.

There will be an overarching plot, regarding a missing magical gem, a nefarious organization and other bumps along the way. Though players are actively encouraged to contribute to the story.

There are several character archetypes that I would like to see. But not necessarily all:

The Grumpy Investigator

His plucky Assistant

The Cop

The Refugee

The Femme Fatale

The Bartender

The Singer

The War veteran

The Weapons Expert

The Thief

Some upper class representation

Please note we’re not looking for any villains. Naturally, some types of character such as the thief, Femme Fatale etc could fulfill antagonistic roles, at some point everyone will be working together towards the same goal.

This RP is designed for over enthusiastic RP’ers who spend their days lazily refreshing the website, and are confident they can manage a post every 24 hours. (Even if it’s a few lines!) Looking for 4-6 players to start.

Welcome to Chicago.

Enjoy your stay.

View attachment 420254
[/QUOTE

Chicago.

Some days it feels like this city is going to the dogs. Everyone is on the take. The DA. City Hall...even some of the cops walking the beat. They say it ain’t even safe to walk the streets at night unless you’ve got a gun or...a handful of fire. Everything really went to hell after the war. Well - the war was Hell. Everyone knows that. And with Europe gone, it leaves us to clean up the mess. More refugees are coming everyday. Unauthorized magic, contraband, illegal weapons...it’s all pourin’ into this city.

Chicago. They say it’s the city that never sleeps.

But I say it’s only a matter of time before this place becomes a nightmare.

Detective Leroy Herman

Private Investigator.

Chicago is a alternate universe RP set in the 1920’s, where fantasy-style magic exists. The ability to wield magic is available to every single member of the human race, with each individual capable of harnessing an element with adequate training and study. Magic is however, strictly controlled and regulated.

Air - able to manipulate air, breathe anywhere and create blasts of wind.

Earth - Create, manipulate and shape earth, rocks and stone.

Fire - Create and manipulate fire, flame and heat.

Water - Control water, mold it into a desired form.

Lightning - Power over electricity, weather manipulation.

Ice - Freeze things in solid ice, shoot beams of freezing energy.

Light - Healing abilities.

Magical abilities are highly dependent on one's position in the social hierarchy. The poor and downtrodden are only capable of the weakest magics, while the ruling classes are capable of wielding great powers. The ruling class also lives in great opulence, separated from the crime and problems that plague much of the city. However, you can learn new abilities as you continue in the story, through study, tutelage and other means.

Technology is somewhat basic compared to the real 1920s, as people rely on magic to power the city and manage their daily lives. Transportation is more advanced, while weaponry is slightly more antiquated.

The world is similar, and yet dramatically different to the real world. Access to magic has put Humanity on a more destructive course, with World War 1 reducing most of Europe into a uninhabitable wasteland.

There will be an overarching plot, regarding a missing magical gem, a nefarious organization and other bumps along the way. Though players are actively encouraged to contribute to the story.

There are several character archetypes that I would like to see. But not necessarily all:

The Grumpy Investigator

His plucky Assistant

The Cop

The Refugee

The Femme Fatale

The Bartender

The Singer

The War veteran

The Weapons Expert

The Thief

Some upper class representation

Please note we’re not looking for any villains. Naturally, some types of character such as the thief, Femme Fatale etc could fulfill antagonistic roles, at some point everyone will be working together towards the same goal.

This RP is designed for over enthusiastic RP’ers who spend their days lazily refreshing the website, and are confident they can manage a post every 24 hours. (Even if it’s a few lines!) Looking for 4-6 players to start.

Welcome to Chicago.

Enjoy your stay.

View attachment 420254

hmm....I think I'd like the bartender archetype?

A film noir fantasy? That's actually kind of interesting. I'll play, but I wanna go full film noir. Beat cop, introverted detective, or just about anything to be expected from Frank Miller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back