• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Chicago | An Alternate Reality

Avari

Four Thousand Club

Chicago.

Some days it feels like this city is going to the dogs. Everyone is on the take. The DA. City Hall...even some of the cops walking the beat. They say it ain’t even safe to walk the streets at night unless you’ve got a gun or...a handful of fire. Everything really went to hell after the war. Well - the war was Hell. Everyone knows that. And with Europe gone, it leaves us to clean up the mess. More refugees are coming everyday. Unauthorized magic, contraband, illegal weapons...it’s all pourin’ into this city.

Chicago. They say it’s the city that never sleeps.

But I say it’s only a matter of time before this place becomes a nightmare.

Detective Leroy Herman

Private Investigator.

Chicago is a alternate universe RP set in the 1920’s, where fantasy-style magic exists. The ability to wield magic is available to every single member of the human race, with each individual capable of harnessing an element with adequate training and study. Magic is however, strictly controlled and regulated.

Air - able to manipulate air, breathe anywhere and create blasts of wind.

Earth - Create, manipulate and shape earth, rocks and stone.

Fire - Create and manipulate fire, flame and heat.

Water - Control water, mold it into a desired form.

Lightning - Power over electricity, weather manipulation.

Ice - Freeze things in solid ice, shoot beams of freezing energy.

Light - Healing abilities.

Magical abilities are highly dependent on one's position in the social hierarchy. The poor and downtrodden are only capable of the weakest magics, while the ruling classes are capable of wielding great powers. The ruling class also lives in great opulence, separated from the crime and problems that plague much of the city. However, you can learn new abilities as you continue in the story, through study, tutelage and other means.

Technology is somewhat basic compared to the real 1920s, as people rely on magic to power the city and manage their daily lives. Transportation is more advanced, while weaponry is slightly more antiquated.

The world is similar, and yet dramatically different to the real world. Access to magic has put Humanity on a more destructive course, with World War 1 reducing most of Europe into a uninhabitable wasteland.

There will be an overarching plot, regarding a missing magical gem, a nefarious organization and other bumps along the way. Though players are actively encouraged to contribute to the story.

There are several character archetypes that I would like to see. But not necessarily all:

The Grumpy Investigator

His plucky Assistant

The Cop

The Refugee

The Femme Fatale

The Bartender

The Singer

The War veteran

The Weapons Expert

The Thief

Some upper class representation

Please note we’re not looking for any villains. Naturally, some types of character such as the thief, Femme Fatale etc could fulfill antagonistic roles, at some point everyone will be working together towards the same goal.

This RP is designed for over enthusiastic RP’ers who spend their days lazily refreshing the website, and are confident they can manage a post every 24 hours. (Even if it’s a few lines!) Looking for 4-6 players to start.

Welcome to Chicago.

Enjoy your stay.

gsgsg.jpg

Can't decide between the grumpy investigator who drinks liquor while complaining of how hes "sick of this bullshit" and the war veteran whose missing an arm but has one in its place made of dirt he controls with earth magic.
It really depends because one of the rps that I am in looks like its gonna die so I may have time to commit to this.

Can't decide between the grumpy investigator who drinks liquor while complaining of how hes "sick of this bullshit" and the war veteran whose missing an arm but has one in its place made of dirt he controls with earth magic.
It really depends because one of the rps that I am in looks like its gonna die so I may have time to commit to this.

I may end up taking the detective myself honestly, since he's gonna be a bit of a plot driver. Ahaha. That Vet sounds cool tho

Rather than a thief, could I play a courier? Same general character, except rather than stealing he's facilitating the exchange of items for cash.

I'm not positive which character archetype I'd want, but I'm interested as well!

Seems like a good group to start with! Assuming the traditional 2-3 dropouts that's a solid 6 member team ;)

I'm working on a bit of lore right now, but they'll be a CS and OOC over the next day or two.

Thanks! <3

This will all be available on a LORE page in a day or two, but will post here for now to help with CS building. (Might be adjusted)

this RP, magic is a natural physical phenomenon such as gravity or magnetism. Everyone is born with the innate ability to manipulate and control a certain element - this affinity is usually passed down through the blood in a similar way to hair color and other genetic simulaties.

The Origin of Magic is hotly debated by scholars, but it is generally believed to have not always been part of the world - with records stating that some unknown cataclysmic event over ten thousand years ago in south-east asia brought magic to the world.

The strength of an individual's magic is dependent on their study and pursuit of it. In a similar way to learning another language, or studying a complex topic - mastery of magic is only available to those with the financial and personal drive to accomplish it. There is no natural affinity. It can take decades to even be considered “above average” in a field, although those that master an element are guaranteed a warm welcome by the absolute elite of society.

The poor, downtrodden or learning-impaired individual may never get to manage anything more than a weak splutter of magical ability.

Magic is broken down into different element, of which the individual is born with. It is not possible to learn other elements, no more than one could hope to grow an extra limb.

The Elements are as follows:

FIRE

A destructive and powerful element, Fire users are naturally strictly monitored and controlled by the government, and it is illegal to even attempt fire magic without completing strict tests and annual reexamination. Fire users make popular use within the military, but are often used as blacksmiths, forgers, house-warmers, cooks and other such respected enterprises.

WATER

One of the more common elements, water users are somewhat restricted in ability without access to bodies of water or other liquids, and some more advanced users always carry a flask of water with them for use should it be required. Unsurprisingly, water users are attracted to the sea and make excellent sailors and fishers. Though some unlucky ones find themselves working with Chicago’s sewage.

AIR

The most common element born to humans, Air users require an incredible amount of study to truly grasp their powers and as such, many of the poorer individuals in the city are air elementals who are unable to effectively use their powers. Air users used to make for popular sailors before the invention of the steam engine, but still see wide use within the military - especially the air force.

ELECTRICITY

A much sort after element. Wielders of electricity are responsible for almost single handedly powering the city from within the large factories in the Docklands. Electrical users also make popular guards and police - thanks to their ability to stun and contain certain threats. Like fire users however, Electric users are strictly controlled and monitored.

EARTH

One of the rarer elements, Earth Users are are often employed as builders and guards. Earth users have a rather unfortunate reputation for being brutish and dull, but actually require almost as much study as fire users to safely employ their powers. Moving parts of buildings and the ground itself is illegal without a permit.

ICE

An odd element, Ice Users are only ever born to water elementals, and even such occurrences are rare. While rare, Ice users enjoy lucrative employment opportunities - especially in bars and the food industry with their natural affinity for keeping things cold. Many Ice users also gravitate towards law enforcement thanks to their ability to freeze criminals in their tracks.

LIGHT

The rarest element, and one that guarantees living rights in Gold Wood. A Light elemental is able to heal wounds, create light and even - in some cases - become invisible. Naturally, Light Users are almost entirely of the upper class and their are barely a dozen born every decade.

CHICAGO MAP.png

I could totally get in on this. How about a scandinavian ice-mage now refugee with little left to lose and a life on the nickel, desperate for something that'd bring him back towards the more prestigious life he once lived?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back