Other Character pictures

taliaangeni

It is what it is.
Roleplay Type(s)
I guess that's the best prefix?

Anyway, I notice a lot of people on multiple websites won't use real pictures because they think it's creepy. I use real pictures. I try to stick with models, actors, musicians and away from instagram and whatever else that has random people posting their pictures. I don't like using animated pictures, especially anime. Maybe it's my age, I dunno. What are you guys' view on character pictures?

I guess it's just a matter of preference. For me it's usually easier to find a suitable character picture which is animated but I don't shy away from pictures of flesh and blood people. I sometimes find animated pictures to be more expressive in terms of qualities and emotions I think my character is able to express. But overall, a fleshed out description can help you out in situations where your partner demands you use a faceclaim of their choice.

I don't particularly care which faceclaim my partners choose to employ. I always end up picturing their characters slightly or quite different from the picture they provide as the rp progresses in any case.

I don't mind people that use real pictures for characters, but I tend to prefer art and video game stuff. Not anime though, I admit to tending to have a bit of a disdain for that. The closest I ever came to using a real picture was choosing between a painting of T.E Lawrence and a photo. In the end I went with the painting. Not sure why I prefer not using pictures tbh.

A lot of times I think of the character first and try to find a picture that fits. But most of the time my perfectionist ass can't find an exact visual that's a picture so I end up going for some drawn stuff.

I think the issue is that people find it to be an invasion of privacy and they worry about copy right infringement. Or sometimes it's both.

I don't really care either way so I just go with whatever my partner wants. As long as they aren't using stick figures on notebook paper I'm pretty good

I'm down with them all - it really depends on the feel of an RP though on whether I decide to use realistic or art/anime.

I try to look up real life people via google search for my characters, but I just use the image for a written description reference. I don't feel comfortable with posting those pictures unless it is a stock photo or actor.

I prefer anime pics. I find them to not only have a lot more explorable content (you can have a lot more creative images with something that is not real), and there is the fact that anime characters don´t really mind you using the images...

Though I guess my main reason would be the fact that I find real life people really ugly and worse, I am really sensitive to pictures of wounds and diseases, so if someone was to post something with say, a disease or an ugly scar, I might not be able to handle it.

For a while, I used only anime pics, but that was mainly because I would be in fandom RPs with, you guessed it, anime universes. But then I joined this one RP that wanted real-life face claims, so I was kinda stuck with it. However, the more actors I found, the more I realized I love using real-life face claims.

This is to take from the philosophy of my friend deer deer , but using real life FCs is like giving that person a part to play. With the multitude of pictures on Google Images, you can find the expression that matches that character's mood, and even some gifs that serve the same purpose.

I think my character-making addiction started because of the real life FCs. XD

Everyone has their own preferences as to what they would like to use as far as character's appearances. My preference is definitely real-life faceclaim from actors, models, youtubers, or musicians. However, I do not mind using anime images or digital art. It depends on the RP's feel and what each GM is looking for. But, what I do mind is the mixture between some character sheets having real life face claims and then some character sheets having anime or digital art. To me, personally, I sort of feel a little out of placed somewhat since it is hard for me to imagine an animated character vs a real life character interacting so it sort of makes my imagination a bit of a floosy (unless it is something sort of like Space Jam).

On another note, I love using real life face claim, because as my friend AnimeGenork AnimeGenork has mentioned above, I like the idea of picking a story line from the various RPs out there and looking through actors, musicians, etc. to see which celebrity of actors and etc. would fit the character that I am looking for. It's as if I am the director and I am giving a role to a celebrity for them to take part in a "movie" or a "tv series" in a sense. It just brings another new level of giving a role and playing that role, so role-playing.

Of course there are copyright infringements that need to be minded as well, however, as long as the pictures aren't used inappropriately and aren't edited to where it violates an actual person, to me, I believe it would be okay. At the same time, this can happen to any other images beyond real life images such as animated images or even digital art. Credits need to be given to where it's due sometimes, especially if some artist would like and require some sort of credit to be said so no one claims that specific artwork to be theirs.

But, if none of those choices seem to feel right, seeing users here drawing their character, to me, is absolutely incredible! Like, it amazes me how much talent is found here on just one site! And so, now that I finished my rambles and spill, it really depends on the person and what their preference is, to each their own <3.

to all of you who like animated profile pictures. would you approve any drawings in this style as a profile picture?

Ilina+2.png Ilina+1.png Ilina+2.png Ilina+3.png Ilina04.png Ilinabirthday.png

to all of you who like animated profile pictures. would you approve any drawings in this style as a profile picture?

Depends on setting. As with most things.

The closer I get to real life, the further away I stray from claims of characters with clearly fictional proportions and style.

In light-hearted settings, I'd approve those images because the images display that tone. (At least in my opinion) They're very fluffy and cute.

If the setting is supposed to be a Conan the Barbarian style dark fantasy, I'd never accept those images. Depends on context.

The drawings are super cute by the way.

Last edited:
you can have a super cute character in a dark fantasy setting. the art was doing by my facebook friend Annette

Hypothetically speaking, you can have any character in any setting.

As I said before, it depends on context.

If I'm running a dark fantasy campaign and 3/4 party members have character face claims more in line with what is traditional for the genre, then it's not unreasonable for me to ask the 4th player to use another claim.

Now if everyone was running a "cute" character in dark fantasy, then I'm fine with it. Because at that point we've established a theme for the party.

Face claims always go to "it depends". This should boil down to what kind of story the GM/DM wants to tell.

For me it depends entirely on the context of the roleplay. For example, if I'm basing my roleplay off of a book, live TV show, or movie, then I would go for real-life face claims, because in my mind whenever I imagine characters from those types of media I imagine real flesh and blood people.

However if my roleplay is an entirely original idea, or is based on an animated show or an anime, then I would use drawn pictures. The seriousness of the roleplay also changes which art style I would look for.

So I'm fine with using real or drawn face-claims, but in most cases I gravitate towards using drawn/anime face claims.

honestly I only use real life fc bc i don't like anime (i use to love it, but not anymore TT). i feel like real life people have more diversity and aesthetic.

I never thought of it that way. I thought it was always the "everyone does what he likes".
I will (if this site lets me) pick a photograph.

i don't like using pictures at all. i came from a site where we just used TEXT DESCRIPTIONS, man.

i am unable to take anime/cartoon ref pics seriously, especially in non-anime RPs.

but most real life reference pics are trash too. you always end up RPs that are filled with supermodels [and it's especially stupid when it comes to supposedly "gritty" post-apoc and dystopian RPs]

I use whatever fits the roleplay. If it's based on animated fandom then I, of course, use anime pictures. If it's based on fandoms with actual people, I use real faceclaims. Now, if it's fantasy I always prefer to use digital art. It's like the perfect balance; realistic but not too realistic.

Honestly, I always preferred digital art but I find that not many people seem to share my preference; it's almost always animated or real faceclaims that roleplays ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back