Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decent Characters and Stories

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

White Masquerade

QuirkyAngel's Red Oni
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Roleplays. More Character-Driven or more Story-Driven? Is it exactly half and half?

**Post your opinions below. Yes, everything said here will be an opinion. Please give respect to everybody's thoughts.

The question says more. I know somebody is going to say, "both.. because you can't have one without the other". Yes, most people know this. The question is not asking for one or the other. It's asking which is more important (or not), in your opinion.

If you're struggling, the poll will give you a different way to look at it. You have 100 energy to spend.

• Would you spend most of it to make exceptional characters and use what's left to throw together a story?
  • Would you spend most of it to make exceptional stories and use what's left to throw together some characters?
  • Would you split it 50-50 and at least try to put a good amount of effort into both?

I'd like to see what answers come up first, so I'll post my own opinion mid-way through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I greatly prefer roleplays that are character driven. It's the character's emotions, goals, triumphs, and failures that matter to me. I can, and do, appreciate a good story. But I fall in love with great characters. So characters, imo, are the heart and soul of the RP.

Edit: I went overboard with the word characters... (^.^)

My personal preference is more character driven. I always figured the point of RPes an experience of multiple people banding together and creating something marvalous! While people can have creative influence in a plot driven RP. Those RPes tend to be mostly manipulated by the OP, planned ahead of time. If I wanted my reality to be controlled, then I would just read a book.

Nothing wrong with plot heavy RPes, I've been in fun ones. They're just not my style. I don't think they hold the true spirit of RP!

While I love both, I prefer a more character-driven routine. There is something about being able to flesh out a character and add meticulous details to their person. An RP idea can be amazing but without the accompaniment of a well-thought out character, it can easily succumb to being just subpar. A character makes a story come alive and without embodying that idea in general, it can become just average.

I tend to note a story and then the muses walk into my head. I go from there in whatever way seems natural, but I gotta say that I'm most attracted to amazing characters that are versatile and can be used in multiple settings.

They're both important, yeah, but characters are primarily what keeps a reader invested in the work, and if they're not interesting, the rest is bound to lose its luster unless it's phenomenal in comparison.

I do enjoy nation building but before I do any plot, because I don't like mixing them too much prematurely unless it happens naturally.

When coming up with my rps, my ideas tend to start from worldbuilding. It`s this interesting, globalized concept that I like to tinker about which leads me to want to rp it. My plots usually allow me to put that factor on the spotlight, or at least I shape them to provide such an opportunity. For that reason, everything in my rps needs a certain degree of control that I get more easily in a plot-driven rp, that really allows me to show the worlbuilding without being awkward.

Another reason, is because I my characters to be exceptional, in that they completely stray from whatever I assume is the averge in that particular rp. I also like characters who can be embarrassed or go crazy, characters that are handicapped in a curious manner, etc...This however, makes building regular relationships increasingly hard, which would lead to major doses of awkwardness whenever a fight broke out, since it would be so easy to mend (note: in this case, fight is the sense of an argument between characters, not like in the battle sense o the word.).

My third reason is because it fits my typical type, casual, better. My experience with character-driven rps (which can be entirely wrong), is that they often end happening almost in a vaccum. Suddenly, the events going on, or the environment, etc... only seem to exist in those few times where they are there to show a character`s thoughts on the world or his/her emotional state. For that reason, character driven roleplays would fit better into one-liners, which can focus entirely on the character without needing to worry about what to fill in the missing description. On the other hand, plot driven roleplays tend to lack insight into the character´s mindset, and slow down their exposure and change a lot more (or speed it up unbelievably). This takes away the perspective in description of the world, which would lead to inconsistencies if there was too much to write. For this reason, it`s best to fit plot driven roleplays into casual. Finally, detailed roleplays would require a much more 5-50 mix of both, because it would be impossible to write that kind of length properly without the complementing characteristics of character drive and plot driven roleplays.

My final reason would be that in reading, you may distracted by the story, but the characters are harder to notice. A truly good character that you notice at first glance was worked with dedication, in a poor story, will feel forced. It can be a brilliant character, but it should still be subtle. A good plot, on the other hand, can attract you and entertain you even with horrible characters. The key to this would be pacing. A story that is fast moving will hide it`s charaters better than one that drags out and lets you se how bad they are.

When reading a novel, I tend to prefer more story-driven plots than character driven ones. Characters have to be really, really good for me to read a story just for the characters.

If I had to choose between joining a completely story-driven rp and a completely character driven rp, I'd choose the character driven rp.

Dagfinn said:
My personal preference is more character driven. I always figured the point of RPes an experience of multiple people banding together and creating something marvalous! While people can have creative influence in a plot driven RP. Those RPes tend to be mostly manipulated by the OP, planned ahead of time. If I wanted my reality to be controlled, then I would just read a book.
Nothing wrong with plot heavy RPes, I've been in fun ones. They're just not my style. I don't think they hold the true spirit of RP!
^This.The fun of rping is to see how my character can influence the setting I've put him/her in. If my character can't affect the outcome of the rp, then what's the point of rping?

If I were a gm(trying to create my own rp), I would spend more energy creating exceptional stories. The characters are already created and fleshed out by the rpers. The gm's job is create exceptional setting and problems for each character to solve. Alternatively, as the an rper joining an rp, I'd focus more on character creation/development.

Overall, I think I prefer story driven rps with open endings and lots of possible outcomes. My experiences with character driven rps is that they tend to go nowhere unless a the rpers plan things out(pre-planned friendships, fight ends, etc) . I already know my characters goals, emotions, and whatnot (it's in the background). I know which characters my character would likely befriend/ which he/she would scorn because I read the character sheets. What I want to do is rp my character in an interesting story and see what the results are. I want a plot that can keep me hooked, npcs that make me care about the ending of the rp. In a way, a good story even helps me flesh out my characters in ways I would have never imagined because it forces my characters to respond to different scenarios. Good, fleshed-out characters definitely make an rp more enjoyable, but imo a good plot is what keeps the rp alive. For some reason, character driven plots never seem to catch my interest for very long =/ My ideal rp is probably 65:35 story driven to character driven.

I prefer character driven rps, as there's more freedom for your character to interact the way you want him/her/it to. I especially nation building becuase much of it, if not all of it, is character driven.

Wonderful answers. Thank you for them, I've really learned a lot.

@Dagfinn .Your answer was short and sweet. It covers exactly how I felt about the topic extremely well.

If I wanted my reality to be controlled, then I would just read a book.
That was perfect. The only other thing I would add, is that excellent characters (and their Rpers), can make even the most simple story AMAZING. If done right, they can make the plot very enjoyable. Flipping it the other way, I really can't see an excellent plot making a character great. It doesn't make sense how that would happen. Anyway, great answer.
@QuirkyAngel . Your answer really made me think! Thank you! You are completely right. Making characters great is the Rper's job, while making the story great is the GM's job. That blew my mind. My ideal RP is in the other direction. 60 : 40 (Character : Story). I picture the characters as the flames, and the story as the gasoline. Characters light the fire, while the plot keeps the flames going. I want just enough gas to see how beautiful the flames can get (o'v'o)

Again, thank you all for your answers and tallies if you voted. I figured outstanding stories with average characters wouldn't get much votes, because of what I just explained in Dag's answer. If anyone wants to make a case for an outstanding story making characters wonderful, I'd be happy to hear it. If not, see you all later.

I prefer character driven.

The problem with this preference is one word long: players.

A character-driven RP can't survive inevitable player attrition or players who don't seem to know what to do with their characters. Which I understand, to a degree - too much freedom induces a paralysis of indecision.

A story-driven RP can limp onward with a few more dedicated players and once the drop-outs have been written out, things can get good again.

@Grey

Another good point! That definitely makes a case for story. Didn't factor in the great characters actually leaving. This is starting to make my head heart, throwing all the answers together. Somebody stop me if I'm wrong:

More Character Driven = The ideal role-play? Funnest. Most risky.

More Story Driven = The realistic? Workable role-play. Long-term.

Decent Characters/Story = The safest experience. Least risky.

Grey said:
Which I understand, to a degree - too much freedom induces a paralysis of indecision.
As a general trend for most players I wouldn't argue that, but I'd like to think that doesn't apply to me. Whenever I have narrative freedom and a character I love, then I've got a story to tell.

Bone2pick said:
As a general trend for most players I wouldn't argue that, but I'd like to think that doesn't apply to me. Whenever I have narrative freedom and a character I love, then I've got a story to tell.
You do seem a bit singular in that. Give me absolute freedom, and I'll have too many ideas to settle on anything - which is already a problem of mine.

I'd say character driven is better, particularly for RPs. In a solo project with everything planned out, equal measures of both works fantastically. But for RPing, in order to keep focus, you need interesting characters more.

Honestly, it depends on the roleplay for me.

In my 1v1s, I prefer character driven. In groups, I prefer story driven.

:P

I think a mixture is best, in group rps you need an over hanging plot line to the everyone together

Wow, I still flip-flop on this question every other week. @James Patton @Mordecai @Bobisdead123

My last answer said more Character-driven, but the flavor I'm feeling today is Morde's answer for groups, more story-driven. I've seen what a good, interesting story can do to bring out the best in a character. It makes the player think, pause, and really review in their head what their character would do in a certain situation. You see the character suddenly bust out in a 5 paragraph soliloquy, you would have never expected from their starting CS. A good story can certainly make a character become interesting.

To you Bob, I don't think a plot can even just be something that hangs and lines everyone together. It needs to do more; it needs to be active. I cannot tell you how many RPs I've seen and have participated in, where I make (or see) a fleshed out character, that spends the first ten pages of the play sitting eating cookies with others at a tea-party. (>u>) ( :D ). It drives me nuts. I mean, there's nothing wrong with RPing a party or ordinary situation but...when that's ALL you do...there's a major problem. You can have the greatest characters in writing sit down in one room to share a cake, but if you don't let them have a philosophical discussion/debate, share memories, give them a mission to really interact...you have nothing.

Another reason I say "More-Story Driven" today is because having an exceptional story is honestly-speaking, MUCH harder to do than making exceptional characters. By that fact alone, it should be more important. It's why I think so many things are focused on being "Character-Driven". Because being "Story-Driven" takes too much effort. There's a lot of keeping track, removing elements, hiding elements, re-introducing elements...it's not a one-day thing. A good character is plating beautiful flowers in a garden. A good story is planting seeds in that garden, watering them, making sure they grow, shading them, and keeping off diseases. I can understand why option 1 would be the more favored choice.

So for today, More-Story Driven is my answer.

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]To you Bob, I don't think a plot can even just be something that hangs and lines everyone together. It needs to do more; it needs to be active. I cannot tell you how many RPs I've seen and have participated in, where I make (or see) a fleshed out character, that spends the first ten pages of the play sitting eating cookies with others at a tea-party. (u) ( :D ). It drives me nuts. I mean, there's nothing wrong with RPing a party or ordinary situation but...when that's ALL you do...there's a major problem. You can have the greatest characters in writing sit down in one room to share a cake, but if you don't let them have a philosophical discussion/debate, share memories, give them a mission to really interact...you have nothing.

[/QUOTE]
What im referring to may only work in Character Driven Nation Building (Nation Building only in the sense that we create our own nations and/or species and may play their interests but through the eyes of our characters). I understand what your saying- there cant just be this thing that ties everyone together like being at a party. in some ways character interaction has to be forced by forcing them to interact with the plot or other characters. What i'm referring to is a "Boss Plot", a GM controlled entity that arrives in the universe that the players must work together to defeat. This entity derails the side plots that are going on (temporarily) and adds a new dynamic from which to spring character interaction.

Although with the current group I rp with, the main plot isn't needed as we create our own side plots and even when the rp seems to be dieing it always springs back up.

Bobisdead123 said:
What im referring to may only work in Character Driven Nation Building (Nation Building only in the sense that we create our own nations and/or species and may play their interests but through the eyes of our characters). I understand what your saying- there cant just be this thing that ties everyone together like being at a party. in some ways character interaction has to be forced by forcing them to interact with the plot or other characters. What i'm referring to is a "Boss Plot", a GM controlled entity that arrives in the universe that the players must work together to defeat. This entity derails the side plots that are going on (temporarily) and adds a new dynamic from which to spring character interaction.
Although with the current group I rp with, the main plot isn't needed as we create our own side plots and even when the rp seems to be dieing it always springs back up.
I gotcha. What you bring up is very interesting. It takes us into another conversation of Side-Plots versus Main story. I'm on the side of little-to-no sideplots. I don't enjoy them. So that may be why we see things differently =)

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]I gotcha. What you bring up is very interesting. It takes us into another conversation of Side-Plots versus Main story. I'm on the side of little-to-no sideplots. I don't enjoy them. So that may be why we see things differently =)

[/QUOTE]
Side plots can detract from the main plot, but also can add to your characters/nation and as the Main plot in my current rp moves slowly (gm isn't extremely active) our side plots keep it alive.

When Main plot is slow = Do more side plots

When main plot is fast = Do less side plots

Bobisdead123 said:
Side plots can detract from the main plot, but also can add to your characters/nation and as the Main plot in my current rp moves slowly (gm isn't extremely active) our side plots keep it alive.
When Main plot is slow = Do more side plots

When main plot is fast = Do less side plots
Wow. I have to talk to you about some things, haha. I'm starting to be on the opposite side with you on these things. I feel if the Main Plot is slow, cancel the RP. When you have a whole bunch of side plots and like, 4-5 of them turn out really good...how do you even get back to the Main plot?? It's impossible. You have a sticky case of player stories interfering with (even being better than) the GM story. That is a VERY, VERY, bad situation to be in. You don't want it to happen.

I can see Nation RPs making it past that, but non-nation RPs...I can't even begin to describe how it can destroy things. Let me ask, if the GM of your RP came back full-time and started doing a droll story-line, would you drop your side-plot and follow along?

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Wow. I have to talk to you about some things, haha. I'm starting to be on the opposite side with you on these things. I feel if the Main Plot is slow, cancel the RP. When you have a whole bunch of side plots and like, 4-5 of them turn out really good...how do you even get back to the Main plot?? It's impossible. You have a sticky case of player stories interfering with (even being better than) the GM story. That is a VERY, VERY, bad situation to be in. You don't want it to happen.
I can see Nation RPs making it past that, but non-nation RPs...I can't even begin to describe how it can destroy things. Let me ask, if the GM of your RP came back full-time and started doing a droll story-line, would you drop your side-plot and follow along?

[/QUOTE]
Depends how the side plot and the main plot go together.

We have multiple characters in this rp so I can be in both

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Wow. I have to talk to you about some things, haha. I'm starting to be on the opposite side with you on these things. I feel if the Main Plot is slow, cancel the RP. When you have a whole bunch of side plots and like, 4-5 of them turn out really good...how do you even get back to the Main plot?? It's impossible. You have a sticky case of player stories interfering with (even being better than) the GM story. That is a VERY, VERY, bad situation to be in. You don't want it to happen.

[/QUOTE]
In a Nation Building such as the one im in side plots and main plots go together

I'm going to be in the minority. I would say for me story is more important because that's the thing that gets me hooked on an idea and more than that story often features the characters goals , the settings, and any other information needed to create a good character. Now that being said it can't be too in depth or restrictive because then it becomes you helping someone write their own novel. But if you just give me a basic premise = we're friends in a small town that fall in love.

Then I'll get super bored. I have to build on that in order to create a character I care about.

Of course I also tend to create different characters based on plots and do a lot of fandom roleplays. And those are created specifically because you like at least some aspect of the canon story.

Generally I'm leaning on the character-driven side, because well-rounded, entertaining personalities can make even mundane, thousand-times recycled plots and activities enjoyable.

While I love originality in setting, themes and other story elements, there is just little drive for me to go on with them if the characters involved are unrelatably flat personalities.

With all that said, I do believe everyone would agree that the combination of both worlds is the best, and oftentimes, the most successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back