• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Two: Bilal's Menagerie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Otiorin takes Stewart down so fast and easily the fellow hardly knows what hits him. The key flies across the foyer and lands with a clatter. Flat on his back and making no attempt to resist, Stewart fights only to catch his breath. When Otiorin commands him, the servant does exactly as told. At first he whispers, "Before you kill me as I so richly deserve, you-" Then Kitrin speaks, and Stewart's eyes turn to her, then back to Otiorin. He nods several times without a further word. Then he looks up to the cudgel. Some kind of recognition dawns in the recesses of his mind. And sadly closes his eyes. He appears as if he is trying hard not to weep.

The whole time, the servant puts his lean body between the cudgel and Sparkle, cradling her with both hands. Kitrin and Otiorin immediately notice two tiny green sacks covering both Sparkle's head and her sting-tail. Her breathing is deep and constant, her mind perhaps deep in dragon-dreams.

A quiet snarl creeps out from Luna as she sees her familiar still sleeping in the arms of Stewart. "If she is harmed in any way, all of Hell will not bar my path to your door! Let her go!" She takes the small dragon in her arms and cradles her like she would a child, glaring at the man. She pulls the sack off of Sparkle's head, all the while murmuring, "It's okay now. I'm here, and I won't let anyone hurt you."

Finally satisfied that the mini dragon is not hurt but just sleeping, she sets her down to pull on her clothes and other equipment. Fully dressed and ready for battle, she raises up her crossbow and aims it at the belly of the man. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't put a bolt into your gut right now!"

Current memorized spells:

Cantrips: Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, Read Magic, Detect Magic

Level 1: Shield x2, Gravity Bow, Burning Hands

Level 2: Mirror Image, Scorching Ray x3

Level 3: Fireball x2, Displacement

Force Missiles x6

Stewart immediately and with great care releases Sparkle into Luna's hands. He does this apparently not out of fear, but instead perhaps out of shame. "She is unharmed! I will not allow..." Then he looks at the remaining bag over Sparkle's tail. "Rainbow lotus is the type of poison that took you down. It will keep her sleeping for a short while yet, and she will awaken confused. I imagine you will have to calm her. I could not leave her underneath the bed for someone else to find, to perhaps torture or sell, but nor could I wake her and perhaps sting me before I could return her to you safely. Psuedo-dragons are worth much to men like Bilal. But now that I have returned her..." He pulls the cowl of his cloak behind him and shakes his head.

"And as for a good reason not to," Stewart examines your crossbow, the state of your team, and then he turns his face away. "I do not have one." He looks up at Otiorin. "I am reaching for my belt pouch, half-elf. I will not resist you."

If Otiorin allows, Stewart produces a soft, blue leather pouch from his belt. It jingles. "Just... please. After I am gone, please deliver this to Beatrice of Averlund! She is innocent in all of this, and needs your help." He lowers his voice and trails his finger along his ring-less hand. "And... if you can, tell her I am not worthy to be her husband any longer. She... must find a better man than I."

Powerpaw's growl fills the room as he stomps over to Stewart. "GRRAWRRR! You!" His red eyes blaze as he snaps his jaws. "I remembers you, human-face! You tells Bilal about me! Tells him I iz just a beast! Then Bilal knocks me out with his funny rod. How come you not tells him I kin talk?" Powerpaw then takes his gear along with Bria's, and places them out. He dons his blood-red armor without taking his eyes off of the servant. Then he sheathes his sword, his one-handed hammer, his shield over his back, and his large-sized longbow over his shoulder along with the quiver of arrows. Finally, he hefts his maul, looks to Bria and the rest of you. Then he stares coldly at Stewart.

Stewart explains quickly. "Best for Bilal to believe what he likes. If he knew you to be sentient, then he would have tortured you to find others of your kind, and... you can imagine what he would do with them. I returned here with the key to... free you. But I have no such hope. Just... get away from here as far as you can. To Highwind, perhaps." He looks up to Powerpaw in the eye. "Just don't let him catch you again. Bilal is canny; he may yet figure it out on his own!"

Luna slowly lowers her crossbow, still mad, but seeming to accept the answers she has heard from the man. "I will not harm you. Besides, the guilt you are feeling will cause you more pain than my weapons ever could, but I will try to deliver this package to Beatrice. May the gods have mercy upon your soul. My friends, we have our things and a horde of angry monsters outside. Can any of you think of a reason not to leave here right away, besides the desire to extract revenge on Bilal? As much as I would like to kick him where it will hurt the most, I am trying to be a better person than that. Perhaps a few well placed fires to torch his precious wagon and let him live with the memory of what he has lost."

Things seeming to calm down again, Kitrin digs out her armor and starts to put it on. "Isn't about revenge, though I won't say no to it. We let him keep being rich and he'll keep on doing this! I'm thinking set fire to all the wagons. Depending on what we see outside. If it's already taken care of, I'm thinking we ought to head out - all of us in this wagon."

"Hell with dat," Powerpaw growls. "I say we kill him. Revenge iz parts of it - Bilal almost killed me - but if we doesn't, then he does this agains and agains to other peoples like da dead guy who got us outta here." Powerpaw indicates the cudgel Otiorin has over Stewart's head. "What you think, Bria?"

Bria pauses and thinks. Then she thinks a second time. "Bilal will continue to do this as long as he remains alive. Is this true?" The Ko monk looks to Stewart. Stewart resigns himself to what he feels and nods. "Then I am for either path. I would prefer he cease his evil, but if we cannot convince him, then his circle of torment will continue. We are a new force, and I don't know if we have what it takes to defeat him. I wish we knew each other better; I want us all to survive first. Perhaps to fight him another day? Meanwhile, we are discussing this inside of a burning wagon. And our horses are still out there! Oh dear..." Then both monk and beast look around for other opinions.

The Meadowsweets look to all of you to decide, and they take as much of the remaining food as they can carry.

"Not to mention that he did try to feed these poor halflings, along with us, I might add, to what he thought was a monster! There was no way that he could have guessed that Powerpaw wasn't going to kill us all. Either way, lets get out of here!" True to her word, Luna casts her Shield spell to increase her protection. "Who can use this second Shield spell? I don't want to waste it, and it won't work on someone that is already armored."

Level 1: Shield, Gravity Bow, Burning Hands

Level 3: Fireball x2, Displacement

Force Missiles x6

Otiorin released Stewart as the others secured their gear, moving over to don his own things. With his clothing, weapons and magical gear safely on his person, he felt better.

"Bilal is richer than any man, maybe even a monarch. Burning this caravan would be a setback, not a ruination, for him. There is unfortunately only one way to end the threat of his evil and perhaps free more people who are trapped by his schemes.", he replied, his hand tightening around the cudgel once more.

Having re-equipped himself with his armour and weapons and feeling reassured by the familiar feel, Wolf the ranger steps forward. "Much has been said in a situation that doesn't leave much room for deliberation." he says, making final adjustments to his gear. "But Powerpaw here put it best. For this treachery, for crimes of the past, for the evil that is to come... Bilal must die. And there's no time like the present."

The ranger glances at everyone involved, the least of all at Stewart, and the most of all at Powerpaw. He catches the beast's eye, one predator to another. He then finally announces: "I'm going hunting. Who's with me?"

Luna finally nods. "Very well. I will join you, if only to keep you out of trouble. Let us end this on our terms, not his." With that decided, she sets out with an authoritative step, determination on he face.

Powerpaw grins and replies, "I iz wif you! MOOOAAAR!" Out the door Powerpaw goes; enthusiastically, but cautiously. He keeps one step ahead of Luna as if he wants to be seen by the enemy first. Bria joins him, her bathing suit now returned to battle robes, and it becomes clear in their behavior that these two are used to working as one. When he looks right, she looks left. Theirs is orderly teamwork...

...but the scene outside the cage-wagon is anything but orderly...

As the Grey Wardens finally escape the hay-strewn and fine-smelling cage-wagon, you discover the caravan has become a bloody battlefield! You smell smoke, hear screams both of human and canine origin, and more. The clangor of steel fills your ears as crackling flames reach high around you.

And the gnolls are everywhere!

They seem to outnumber Grimdell's Guardians three or four-to-one. Each gnoll appears battle-trained and armed well. Black-painted gnolls, their sinister eyes gleaming in the night, strike with twin hand axes beside blood-red painted gnolls swinging battle axes from behind spiked shields. They laugh the crazed, high-pitched sound of the hyenas they resemble at the screams of pain they are inflicting. Some of the fiends are setting fire to some of the wagons using fire arrows. The wagons are set out in two rows of five, with your cage-wagon in the second row. The wagon beside you is surrounded by gnolls and is engulfed in flames. Others are attacking, again three to four-on-one, and doing their best to divide their opponent's numbers.

You see Grimdell's Guardians fighting in formation, trying to protect the wagons and the caravan staff who are all but helpless to defend themselves against this onslaught. Well-armored men with shields and fists curled around one-handed weapons defend a small number of pikemen and archers who are attacking with everything they have. Some lay on the ground in dark pools of blood, having fought their last. You can count five of these. Over the din, you hear Grimdell shouting, "Squad two! Tighten up! Squad three! Arrows into those clerics in the woods! And where in the hell is Bilal's adventuring party?"

You have come out of a door apparently no one thought anyone would come out of. Initially, your party is ignored, and that gives you precious time to assess your enemies.

There are currently four groups of gnolls within your vicinity (there are more attacking other parts of the caravan).

Group 1
(10 gnolls). These are trying to pull some of the caravan staff out of the wagon directly in front of you (which is big enough to be Bilal the Rich's main wagon). They are stabbing and laughing and reaching to shadowy forms that scurry for safety.

Group 2 (18 gnolls). This force is attacking one squad of Grimdell's Guardians with a passion. They are doing their best to pull each of the remaining 6 guardians out of formation before surrounding and hacking him to pieces.

Group 3 (6 gnolls). These fiends are attacking horses, apparently for their meat and to enjoy the sounds of the screaming.

Group 4 (13 gnolls). These are setting fire to the wagon beside you and chopping at the wheels in a clear attempt to burn anything alive inside. There appear to be no friendly forces near them.

Group 4 immediately spots your party coming out of the cage-wagon. They quickly realize they outnumber you and attack!

Everywhere Otiorin turned, there were acts of atrocity and terror, here a brave soldier was being borne down under the weight of a half-dozen Gnolls, his screams of pain mingling with their chilling cackles as they shredded armor, flesh and bone with their weapons and clawed hands. Elsewhere, a woman's terrified scream was cut short by the sound of steel striking meat. Another place, a Gnoll emerged from a small wagon, its stubby snout dripping gore and it's grinning teeth bearing tatters of human flesh. He felt something within him coil, nothing similar to the fire that sought to consume the caravan, a coldness that seeped through him, infusing his limbs with the deathly chill of the glaciers high in the mountains. The howls of the nearest group of Gnolls as they spotted his party grew louder as they charged recklessly on. Otiorin's bow was already in his hands and the ancient silver ring that bore the crest of some long-deceased noble on his left index finger gleamed with an otherworldly light. He swiftly drew and nocked an arrow and sighted up on the largest and ugliest of the group. The delicate engraving on the shaft of the arrow drew his attention briefly and he decided to make this one count.

He reached inside himself and spoke the words. These were not the words of modern wizards, who had in antiquity learned their arts at the feet of the elder races and over time, refined and developed the words of power and the movements of conjuation. These were the words of the originators, those ancient elven archers whose magic was intrinsic and instinctive. Archers who could draw down a rain of fire or a torrent of a million icy shards or a swarm of flesh-hungry wasps that sizzled and whizzed through the air, eager to taste living bodies. As the words left his lips, the formed a light glowing mist that swirled along the arrow, sinking into the engravings to shroud the shaft in a pale beautiful light. It almost felt shameful to have to loose the magnificent arrow at something so unworthy as the Gnoll, but circumstances demanded it. Otiorin added a silent curse, then released the bowstring.

Casting Gravity Bow to fire an arrow at one of the larger Gnolls. Also, I hope Otiorin activated his Shield Ring the minute he saw the fighting.

[dice]682[/dice]

Assuming Gnolls are human-sized and within the optimum range increment for the shortbow

Luna sizes up the fight in an instant and decides that it is time to unleash the big dogs from their kennel. Waves of energy radiate from her, causing her clothes to ripple about her as she turns to target Group 4 of the gnolls. Raising her hands into the air, she finally releases the stored power of her most feared weapon! "Fireball!"

Level 1: Shield, Gravity Bow, Burning Hands

Level 3: Fireball, Displacement

Force Missiles x6
[dice]685[/dice]

"Excuse me? But, shouldn't we bring Bilal to a just and lawful court, instead of just murdering him here?" Bronze looks flustered at the mention of just killing someone, even though everyone here was unlawfully imprisoned.

"As for that person," Bronze points at Stewart, "he also should be allowed to answer to Lawful Justice as well." Bronze wonders if there may be others that have been wronged by Bilal, and a good court could find out. Bronze reaches into the goodies and grabs his gear and suits up, then steps out of the way of the combatants. To be sure everyone knows he's not a warrior, he places his hammer into the leather holster made for it, then looks for a safe place where he can watch over the battle and come if he is needed.

Earlier

Otiorin heard Bronze's words and clucked his tongue.

"No, friend Bronze, Bilal the Rich is not the sort of man to care about the courts of men. He likely has money enough to buy a whole cohort of judges to keep him from facing due process. And, if he felt there were witnesses who might give evidence that would convict him, he has money enough and few morals enough to hire someone to silence them.", he sighed, the truth of smith's words weighing heavily on him, "I would like to see him in chains and rags, repaying the huge debt he owes to society, but he appears rich enough to bribe kings. And if you wonder why I ascribe such evil to him to prevent his imprisonment, I say it because it is what I would do if I were him."

Wolf frowned at Bronze, briefly nodded at Otiorin, then jumped out of the wagon. He didn't stray far, though, seeing the hell that had been unleashed. Great. Gnolls. Cursing silently in realization that Bilal was out of reach at the moment, the ranger quickly readies his bow and draws an arrow.

He aims at the closest gnoll among the survivors of Otiorin's and Luna's attacks, then loosens the arrow.

[dice]696[/dice]

Otiorin weaves his magic and Wolf fires into the fray as Pecker takes to the safety of the dark skies above, but it is Luna that causes the combatants on the battlefield to pause and stare.

The approaching pack of gnolls races toward the Grey Wardens and their allies, their wet fangs gleaming and hyena-laughter rising. Axes high, they form into a closely-packed throng and advance with chilling war cries. That is, until Luna's Fireball leaves her hand and falls precisely into the midst of them...

A terrific "BUHWOOM!!" sound rocks the Road of Kings. Wagons tremble and the very air becomes briefly bright with a rich orange flame. Creatures from across the battlefield look on in amazement and wonder. And the oncoming pack of gnolls? They explode high and far into the night. Not a single one caught in the blast successfully takes cover from the overwhelming magical power unleashed upon them.

And oaths, curses, and comments fly along with them...

"Uh... boss? I think I found the adventuring party!"

Grimdell watches with a wide grin. "About damn time you got your make-up on and got out here, sweetheart!"

Bria cheers, her beautiful voice a welcome contrast to the cries of the flaming, flying gnolls. "Oh my word! That sure got them!"

However, Powerpaw's joy is even greater as his blood-red eyes widen in a mixture of surprise and child-like elation. "OOOHOOHOOO! Did you guyz see dat?! Lookit'em fly! Lookit!" He points at one of the ten creatures caught in the blast as it falls toward the earth. "He's gonna hit da wagon! Watch! It's gonna- OHHHH!! He splatted all over da wagon!! Lookit his flamey little bits rollin' across da ground! Ooooh, Luna! I likes you!"

The three remaining gnolls recoil from the heat and force of the Fireball, and when they open their eyes, they see the great litter of flames that dance between the wagons - a black patch of ground where body parts and bits of metal burn. The gnolls stare in shock, momentarily oblivious to your attacks.

At that moment, another part of Luna's mind awakens, and against her body a serpentine form stirs. Pyri! Sparkle cries in Luna's mind, her tone confused and struggling to become alert. Pyri, are you all right? Then Sparkle looks at the toasting remains of the pack of gnolls. And the gnolls and fighters everywhere. And the hobbits and servant. It is only when she looks up to her left beside Luna, and sees the gigantic, joyous Powerpaw raising his maul and doing a happy-dance does the wise pseudo-dragon shrink back.

By Grimauldin's lava breath! From what corner of Sharseya did that monster come?!

Every passing second could mean distancing from his quarry that he was yet to locate, so Wolf doesn't waste a moment. He fires a second arrow in succession at the gnoll next to the one he previously hit.

[dice]704[/dice]

[dice]705[/dice][dice]706[/dice]

The first arrow thuds into the gaping gnoll's chest, while the second arrow partially exits out of the creature's back. The cowardly creature falls to the earth, and does not stir in its growing pool of blood.

Meanwhile, Bonny, Whittle, and Stewart lay low in the cage-wagon with frightened faces. Until the explosion. Then you hear the bright sound of hobbits cheering at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sparkle! You're awake! Luna's heart soars to 'hear' the tiny dragon's voice in her head. Do not fear the large furry guy. His name is Powerpaw, and he is a friend of Bria, and was a prisoner of Bilal just as we were. It seems that he will be joining the Wardens once we are done with this fight.

"Wooo!" Kitrin's high-pitched shriek of glee follows the sound of the exploding fireball. "Yah, Luna! That'll show 'em!" The feisty halfling then aims her sights (herself, rather) at the three gnolls nearest, adjusting her trajectory when arrows fly past her to drop one of her targets. As she enters melee range, she picks a gnoll and whips her flail expertly at him.

[dice]717[/dice]

[dice]718[/dice]

The two remaining gnolls don't appear to see Kitrin coming as she unleashes her flail upon the side of one gnoll's head. WHAM! The swing sends him staggering, and Kitrin can be certain that one more strike will end her enemy.

Powerpaw crouches low. Bria closes her eyes in concentration for a moment in, and when she opens them, she is no longer looking at your party, but another's - one squad of eight Grimdell's Guardians is slicing and stabbing their way to your party. "Take them down and hold here!" Captain Grimdell shouts and points at your foes. Two of his mercenaries let arrows fly into the two remaining gnolls, they fall clutching at the feathers sticking out of them. As havoc continues across the field of battle, you see Grimdell purposefully marching up to you while his men watch his back.

Both of your teams have a moment to pause and talk.

"Nice entrance!" He says, his bloody halberd raised for a moment. His expression is all business as he shouts over the din of battle to you. "Listen! Something is up here! Two gnoll tribes jumping us at once is one thing, but look around! None of them are looting! They're intent only on killing! Don't you find that damned peculiar?" With keen eyes, Grimdell surveys the state of the people and the caravan. "Bilal has had enough of this already and he's unleashing something from his menagerie on the gnolls! The best way we can support him is to- By the Saint!"

"Uh uh," Powerpaw stands to his full height and turns to him, slowly shaking his head. "You gots it wrong. Bilal iz our enemy. He almost killed all of of us; dats why you sees us comin' outta dis cage."

The rest of the squad hears this and moves up beside Grimdell as arrows fly overhead. "Wait a minute! You mean-"

"Dats right. We iz gonna kill Bilal."

Grimdell looks pained, but not unbelieving. "Whoa, whoa, whoa... This is awkward." He grits his teeth and clenches his halberd as he looks at your group. His men narrow their eyes and prepare themselves for any order he might give, while his hand goes to a bone horn on his belt. Your team is experienced enough to know when a man is sizing up your advantages and disadvantages. "Son of a- Don't tell me we have to go at it now. We're still under contract-"

"Then break the contract!" Bria rushes up to meet him face-to-face from behind the protection in your party.

"Oh, no... Anybody but you..." Grimdell turns away in the same fashion as when Bria hugged him.

"Mister Grimdell... if you don't... we will fight each other! One side will win, the other will be devastated!" Bria points. "And the gnolls will take all! Isn't that right, everybody? Either way you will be sending your men to their doom! And us too!"

"Don't tell me my business, woman..." Grimdell winces as he realizes he has said this before. Then he looks back to his men, and you, and finally, his horn and halberd.

"Sir, it's your call." one of his mercenaries says. "We sure don't wanna fight that, but there is no contract is worth dying over."

Grimdell eyes the man and turns back to your group. There is no fear in his eyes. Instead, there is mild frustration and wonder as he regards Bria of the Ko. Finally he says, "How in the hell do you do it?"

"Oh, not hell, Mister Grimdell," Bria smiles to him, her eyes full of gentle resolve. "What I do comes from the other place." She glances heavenward and looks very pleased with him.

Grimdell hears that and softly chuckles. Without another word, Grimdell takes his Guardians past you and moves them deeper into the battle against the gnolls.

"Looks like he is willing to ignore us," Bria says as she watches him go.

"Dats good for everybodies. Now..." Powerpaw looks to the party and indicates the remaining three gnoll groups in your area. "Which group you want me ta kill?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Luna points at group 2 of the monsters. "Powerpaw! Those gnolls are trying to pull innocent civilians out of the wagons! Our battle is not with them, but their master. Save them if you can, while I look for another place to drop my second Fireball spell!"

Bronze notes the rather adequate devastation, and lets out of whoop of glee as the ugly dog critters are reduced to quivering-bloody-sushi! Bronze also looks around to see if any wounded are in need of help.

"Might I suggest that we all focus on the common enemy. There is a solution to the other issue. But let me think on it." Knowing that your friends are bloodthirsty is one thing, making sure they don't compromise there principles are another. In True Field Justice one must maintain objectivity. Why is Bronze thinking about this now, one wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back