• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Two: Bilal's Menagerie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abandoning his pursuit for Powerpaws origins more readily than you'd expect, Wolf replies to his questions.

"It's a long story, but suffice it to say that I've caught him and trained him. And as a matter of fact, I was on my way to hunt Undead back then. That should answer both your questions."

Decides it would be best to stay out of the professional adventures way, and see what happens. Wonders why he was taken. He's a simple country blacksmith, wouldn't Balil the Rich have more than enough 'smiths in his service? Wonders if he should ask anyone if they have a spell or something that would make the lock bar very very cold. Listens carefully to what everyone is talking about and wishes he had his food pouch.

Luna's fiery temper begins to flare as she looks to the massive, barred wooden door that prevents her and her friends from freedom. As she prepares to blast it with a Force Missile, a strange memory pops into Luna's mind containing a lesson from a good person she once knew.

"Detect Magic is like adding another sense to the five you were born with," an old wizard says with a smile. "Like sight to smell, it allows you to understand things differently. It is a simple delight that has never failed to fill me with surprises."

As Luna gazes at the door, the Detect Magic spell shows her a terrific aura of rich magical energy protecting the door. Bilal the Rich clearly wasted no coin in his efforts to contain the best in his menagerie here, and her training tells her those efforts are likely to make her Force Missile little more than a release of frustration. A waste and pity both.

Powerpaw stands to his full height and looks around the room, his eyes drifting until they fall upon Bronze. Powerpaw returns his wave. "Undeads..." he replies to Wolf. "Now thems is somethin' worth hatin'." Then his eyes watch Otiorin. His gaze is almost casual at first, but then his whiskers and ears rise as his interest piques. "Hey, um, guy-that-smells-like-a-mix-of-elf-an'-human! You find moar?"

Indeed the half-elf has. And his care in interacting with it is well-rewarded.

The scroll case and parchment stick but for a moment against the floor as if set to stay there by something with adhesive qualities. Both come into Otiorin's hands whole. His skills tell him they certainly would not have if he had been rough.

As he gently unfurls the parchment, his eyes can clearly see the shadow-like grey ink upon its surface.

And that ink is moving..

As if of its own accord, what were once meaningless-looking scrawls now madly race about the page, forming a symbol that looks like a wide cavern set like a jewel inside of a jagged hilltop with a glowing full moon above it.

This symbol then remains upon the page, but all is still not right. Otiorin notices the wax-like seal on the scroll case is quickly melting. All around the wagon-cage, a sudden wind picks up, curling and swirling about the room until little strands of hay are high in the air. The center of the wagon-cage becomes a soft golden windstorm, just strong enough to pull at each of you without hurling you across the room, or into the steel bars of the cage. Hobbits included.

With the wind comes the gripping feeling of deep sorrow, as if someone had just taken something dear to you, along with the hope of ever getting it back.

It is in that wind and in that feeling, that the room is filled by a deep, masculine voice. The voice sounds tired, pained, and yet full of grim resolve. It appears to be coming from the parchment Otiorin now holds.

"Prisoner," it says, "My time is done.

"Bilal the Treacherous has taken my freedom, broken my muscles, split my bones.

"Yet my spirit remains ever defiant.

"I will die with my secrets, my dignity, my self-respect.

"But you will not die. Not here."

At that moment, the melting seal gives way and something suddenly shoots out of the scroll case and flies through the air. A heavy thump is heard over the wind as a brown item, the length of a man's arm, rolls there and comes to a stop, despite the wind.

"Take you this. Aim it at a distance and speak the words. Once upon the door, once upon the rod Bilal the Peace-thief carries. Then its magic will fade and rejoin me.

"May it serve you. Where I failed, may you yet succeed.

"I hear the rattle of keys now. They have come for me. And so I depart now from this world. I am no longer...

"...the Wayfarer."

Then the wind stops and is stilled forever like the last gasp of a dying man. The twirling hay descends about the wagon-cage, feather-like and harmless. In the center of the room is a stout, wooden cudgel.

And upon the parchment, the ink twirls and shifts into words readable by Otiorin's eyes only. "Justice Be Done," they state, before fading away into nothingness.

When Luna looks to the center of the room along with everyone else, she alone senses a strong aura of magical power emanating from the strange cudgel. And it appears to be magic that wants to get out...

EchoCudgel1.jpg

And a moment later, there is the cutest sound of Bria crying out, "Oh noooooooooooo!"

Bria looks around to everyone, her hands on her face and earnest worry in her expression. "I'm sorry, everyone! I suppose I should be staring awestruck, considering what just happened, but um... I had just finished making our late-night snack, and now there little bitty sticks of hay on our fooooooooood! Oh, I hope no one is angry!"

And Bilal's cage-wagon, for the first time in its existence, smells absolutely wonderful!

There are about sixty of these of varying sizes and ingredients...

IMG_1785.jpg

...while the "glass" appears to be made of hardened sugar crystals that somehow don't stick to your hands...

20120115honeyformead.jpg

...with about eighteen of these for dessert.

0912-holiday-pie-slices.jpg

What are you waiting for? Dig in! 8D

Luna can feel her mouth watering as she smells the good food. "No sense in trying to escape on an empty stomach, ey? Lets eat, then see if we can use the magic in that rod to open the door and shove it in a very sensitive place on that bastard Bilal."

Otiorin cradles the parchment in both hands, his heart feeling a sense of deep loss. As the final words fade, Grey Elven words leave his mouth unbidden and automatic.

"<<May the earth enfold thee in her loving caress, may the rivers weep for thy passing, may the winds carry thy spirit to those thou didst love and may the eternal stars conjoin to bring just reward to he that caused thy unjust end.>>"

It was Bria's squeal that brought his attention back and he looked over at the delicious food laid out. Otiorin blinked a moment, wondering where it had materialised from, then relaxed as he remembered he'd just been listening to a dead man talking. He went over to the others as they attacked the food and took his fair share, eating quickly. He was very aware that they were still prisoners, even if their captors thought them dead, and that they were still almost naked and totally unarmed.

"We must hurry.", he said quietly between mouthfuls, "The longer we tarry, the more chance we have of being discovered. Powerpaw's little soundplay might have deterred the guards for now, but sooner or later, they are going to pluck up the courage to check in here and then, who knows what'll happen then."

He reached out and picked up the cudgel, noting that the 'business end' was a good sight heavier than the grip, perfect for a swift overarm blow or even a stabbing motion to clear space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kitrin grins happily. "Wonderful idea, Luna! Come, friends!" The hobbit-warrior digs right in, not bothered by the hay in the least. After the first few bites she swallows hard to clear her mouth (it's not polite to speak with a mouthful of food!) and turns to Bria. "It's great! You're great!" Then she returns to her share of the noms.

After becoming aware of the food, Wolf blinks at it a few times as if wondering where it had come from, but says nothing as he walks over and joins the others for nourishment.

The scroll put on quite a show. And with the whole situation they got themselves into, there was going to be quite a story to tell at the end of the day. The ranger's mind was already putting things together. All there was left to do was make sure that the story had a proper ending.

"Rest well Wayfarer, may the afterlife find you." Grabs some food, and keeps his eyes open, and mind aware. "I was wondering. Does anyone have a seriously cold, type of spell?"

Upon seeing the food, Powerpaw and the Meadowsweets all gasp at the sight of the sudden banquet.

"Pie!!" Bonabin and Whittle cry. Then they rush it. Powerpaw moves too, except his target is Bria. Scooping her right up into his huge arms, he stands to his full height while her little feet dangle helplessly off the floor. As he starts licking her face, her happy shrieks and giggles immediately fill the wagon-cage.

"You iz da best! My tummy was as empties as an ogre's head!" A heavy rumbling sound then carries through the room, and for once, it is not originating from anyone's stomach...

[media]
[/media]
Yes. That's one happy Powerpaw... =)

"Kitty tongue! Kitty tongue!" She laughs and "beats" on his chest with her fists, and while her laughter is as delightful as the sight of a rainbow, her chances of physically freeing herself from the bestial fighter's grip are about as equal as her chances of lifting the wagon you are all held in over her head.

"Oh! Right. Human haz
soft tongues. Moar!" Powerpaw gently deposits his good friend on the floor and then joins everyone in the feast, filling his hands with the bread-bowls, drink, and pie. He chews gratefully.

Bria takes a moment to catch her breath as your strength returns to your bodies. Watching everyone eating, she says, "Thank you, Kitrin! Everybody! I'm so glad you like it!" She picks up a bread-bowl and crosses the room, approaching Otiorin, or rather, the cudgel he is now carrying. She looks at it for a long moment. Then she looks up to the moonlight coming in from the ceiling, and calls out as if the dead man were present.

"Take care, good sir! Thank you so much for your help!" Then she looks down on the bread-bowl between her hands. Her expression turns a little sad. "I really wish we could have served you dinner or something before you journeyed on..."

"Yeah!" Powerpaw looks up from his meal. "Thanks for the moar, dead good guy!"

Bria does not look sad for long. Perhaps as answer to all of your words, a cool wind rises from below Bria and Otiorin. It travels up and up, between them, tossing their hair about. The bread-bowl lifts out of Bria's hands. And it too ascends. You see it briefly before a small zephyr encompasses it, and then both bowl and zephyr vanish in a swirl of light to be instantly replaced by the shine of moonlight and about a dozen twirling fireflies. Each firefly trails a bit of white light for but a moment, and then they fly on and about the cage; little stars dancing just out of your reach.

Bria smiles and looks down to her empty hands. "I will always believe in miracles."

About this time, Pecker the hunting falcon wakes up. He quickly rises and begins preening Wolf of stray hay strands. Pecker does not appear agitated to wake up in a strange cage. In fact, all is well until he hears the sounds of Powerpaw munching and purring. He turns quickly. Then his little mouth drops. He looks to Wolf. Then back to Powerpaw. Then back to Wolf. This repeats several times before he chirps to Wolf, "What is that?
What is that?! Giant cat monster! Will eat us! Quick! Killit, killit, killit!"

Wolf has enough experience with his lively bird to know he can soothe Pecker with explanations, or just keep eating and let Pecker eventually realize on his own that Powerpaw is not an enemy. Either will work fine. Plus, there is the obvious problem with
attempting to carry out Pecker's request. For one thing, it would get between Wolf and his delicious meal.

"Wait. Where is bow?" Pecker examines Wolf and then it dawns on the little fellow that his best friend is unarmed and unarmored. Finally, he quiets himself and begins sharing Wolf's meal. Then a new, curious thought enters Pecker's mind and he asks Wolf, "Giant cat monster... is... friend?"

Unfortunately, no such exchange happens between Luna and Sparkle. Sparkle is most definitely alive, this Luna can be certain of. But that is all. For Sparkle has apparently yet to awaken like the rest of the team. And what keeps her in the blackness of unconsciousness is not known to the fire-wielding wizard. It is a true cause to worry, as such silence has not been between them for quite some time, if ever.

But there is little time to ponder such thoughts, as suddenly the blast of a trumpet is heard from the little hole in the roof. It is quickly followed by three, perhaps, four more horns. And then you feel the motion of the wagon cease. The eerie silence that reigns after the horn-sounding is replaced by the shouts of men. Shouts that speak of oncoming danger. Only a few yells are heard at first, but they grow, and they grow quickly.

A great commotion has begun outside your cage. A great clamor that promises change to your circumstances.

"I go look?" Pecker looks from the hole in the ceiling to Wolf. "Can relay! You taught me!" Wolf knows that Pecker is referring to information, instead of an item. Crafty Pecker is offering to spy.

Luna brushes some crumbs from her hands and stands up. "Whatever we do, it must come soon. My Mage Armor spell is nearly depleted, but I do have two Shield spells prepared. Powerpaw, I would offer one of those castings to you, since you are obviously a powerful opponent, and you will most likely be targeted by the guards until such time as the rest of the Wardens can arm themselves. Bria, I have heard of the fighting skills of the Ko. Are you one of the masters that the tales talk about? If you can fight without the need of other weapons, perhaps you should take the second casting of the spell to help protect the rest of us until we can all get our gear back. Also, I have not yet felt the mental touch of Sparkle yet, and I will not leave here without my friend. I fear for her."

"I, too, have knowledge of the Shield spell, though I shall hold it back until I see need to use it.", Otiorin spoke up, as though such knowledge of spellcrafting were a commonplace thing. The sudden tumultuous noise outside drew his attention.

"It appears the caravan is under attack by the self-same bandits we were originally tasked with defending it against. Such irony that they shall be the means to prevent our captors noticing our escape."

Bronze waits patiently, for without his tools he's not much more than a glorified villager. "Thank you, much for the meal, Miss." He ponders. Why are we here? A collection? What in Father's Name am I here for?

Bronze grabs some clean hay and cleanses his hands as best he can. Then he checks the floor, wondering what it is made of. (OOC: If I missed the description, I'm sorry. Please, be advised, that I'm getting help with re-writing all of my stuff so it hopefully looks a little better.)

Kitrin rubs her hands together, knocking loose a few stray crumbs that managed to escape being eaten by a ravenous hobbit-lass. "All right, then! Anyone not ready? Otiorin's got our way out, if I 'member what the poor dead guy said." She whispers an aside to Bria. "At least he got some yummy food too, huh?" Turning back to the rest of the group, she continues, "When we get out, everyone keep an eye out to see where they might be keeping Sparkle and our stuff - Sparkle is a really cute, wise, tiny red dragon!" she adds for those just joining the party. Finally, she realizes that there's one person here who hasn't been introduced, and turns to him (Bronze). "By the way, what's your name? I missed it in all the excitement."

Luna examines the door with her strong combination of talent and skill and comes to a certain and challenging conclusion. The spell upon the door is a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability. After studying the door with this new knowledge, she realizes that her Scorching Ray would be useless against it after all, as that powerful protection stops very nearly all magic in your team's range. However, the spell is centered on the door and it does not affect the rest of the cage-wagon.

Powerpaw points a claw at Otiorin. "You iz right. We iz gonna hafta get armed an' quick!" Then the beast peers down at Luna. "Any magics you got, I iz glad to haz. Don't know what a Shield spell iz, though. An' I waz gonna asks, 'What's a Sparkle?' You tellin' me we haz a tiny red dragon in this team too?"

When Kitrin whispers to Bria, she kneels down and takes on a look of wonder. "Right! I just... I hope he liked it! It's a long journey to the next place. Assuming you make it there, that is."

Then Bria turns to Bronze as he thanks her. "Oh, certainly! I'm really glad you liked it too. All those recipes come from the Adventurer's Guild in Highwind where I used to cook. Um, are you an adventurer too? I hope so. We're breaking out of here really soon!"

When Luna asks Bria about her Ko background, Bria responds by looking a little shocked, shaking her head, and raising her hands. "Oh, no no! I'm not anything like the masters! I have so far to go!" Then she thinks for a moment while the more-martially trained among you see that Bria has unconsciously set herself in a fighting stance at the mere mention of the word "master." Then Bria explains.

"There are many rumors and misconceptions among the Outsiders (um, that's what we Ko call you). We can't all fly (O.K., a few of us can), we can't break steel with our bodies (except for Kikko and her mom), and we aren't all trained solely for combat. We are trained for enlightenment! Each of my Ko family follows one of three paths: The Art of Fighting, the Art of Restoration, or a mixture of both (we call that the Art of Harmony). As enlightenment is a deeply personal road, all of us become acutely attuned to who and what we are at a very early age. Factual self-knowledge is key; there is no room for wasteful illusion. And as we grow and become aware of our inner energy, we learn to harness it as best fits our personality. Since enlightenment is different for each person, each of us express ourselves in different ways!

For example, let's say all of us present were Ko monks! Wolf could maybe be the kind of fellow to follow the Path of Harmony, while Kitrin here seems might be solely dedicated to the Art of Fighting, whereas Luna's apparent love of magic might cause her to solely follow the Art of Restoration (which is steeped in Divine Magic). Whatever the case, the path and the personality are one. And that's where I come in...

Even among my people, I am something of an anomaly. I am clearly of the Restorative Path, but I am just plain lousy at Turning Undead (try as I might, I just can't seem to do it!), yet my ability to bring life into others seems... um... really good? I will always be a Ko monk, but if you ask me what I do? I'm just a healer! That's all." Bria smiles at everyone and bows, signaling the end of her explanation.

Powerpaw taps her on the shoulder. Bria looks up. Powerpaw then tells you, "You iz forgettin' somethins. Don't expect Bria to hurt nobody. She won't do it."

"Oh, dear!" Bria gulps and looks mortified at the very thought. "Fuzzy Warrior is right! That's not what I am at all! Maybe when we escape, all of you can dispose of the threats and I can just stick to what I do?"

Luna nods. "Don't feel bad, Bria. All of us have our role in life; yours is to help people, and that is a wonderful thing. I simply have chosen a different path to walk. Powerpaw, the Shield spell will help protect you from harm, but it will not make you invulnerable. You can still be hurt, it will simply stop some of the blows and can even stop a Magic Missile. As soon as that door comes down, I'll cast it on you, and I guess I'll use the second one on myself so I don't get hurt as I'm launching my spells into the baddies. We find Sparkle, our stuff, and our delightful host and teach him a lesson in how to treat his guests." She looks about the group to make sure that everyone is ready. "Lets do this."

Current memorized spells:

Cantrips: Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, Read Magic, Detect Magic

Level 1: Shield x2, Gravity Bow, Burning Hands

Level 2: Mirror Image, Scorching Ray x3

Level 3: Fireball x2, Displacement

Force Missiles x6

Powerpaw nods. "I iz ready!"

Bria replies, "Oh, I really don't feel badly - I just hope no one is disappointed that I'm not a great fighter (like Jami, Kikko, and the others). Oh, and I'm ready!"

As Luna nods and addresses Bria, her Detect Magic spell displays something beyond the senses of the uninitiated - Bria's bathing suit radiates magic. Evidently, whomever tossed you in here forgot or did not know she was wearing Glamered armor.

Bronze bows to Kitrin, "My name is Bronze. I'm not much of an adventurer. Just a simple country blacksmith. Nice to meet you, and you are, if you please?"

After explaining to Pecker in a very few and select words that the giant cat monster is in fact an ally, Wolf gets ready to move. "An excellent idea, Pecker. Go. Look. Relay. And hurry." he says, nodding to his bird.

Kitrin grins to Bronze. "Nice to meet you! I'm Kitrin Kittenpaw, that's Luna, and Otiorin, and Wolf and his bird Pecker, and we just met the others." She points to each person she introduces in turn, so that Bronze knows which name goes with who.

Looking once to Wolf's arm where his perch normally, Pecker spreads his wings and darts off to the dagger-sized hole in the ceiling. He uses his momentum to help him squeeze through the space, does so marvelously, and is gone. Moments later, Wolf sees Pecker peeking his head through the hole. His chirping and tweeting is excited. "Smoke! Smoke and fire! Fire soars in night!" He disappears for but a moment and returns again. "Gnolls! Red gnolls! Black gnolls! Together! They fight the men. But lots and lots of gnolls!"

A vision appears in Wolf's mind...

vzuasn.jpg

And Wolf knows that gnolls make for decent rangers...

Gnolls2.jpg

Suddenly, a quick series of harsh thumps are heard along one wall of the cage-wagon as if a multitude of objects have struck the outside of the wagon. Pecker disappears. And a moment later, his little head is back in the hole chirping at Wolf in the language of animals. "Fire, fire! Big, wooden box you are in! Little fires burn wood! Little fires will be big fires!"

Wolf knows more, too, as these are woods he has studied. Gnolls are pack-minded, adept at torture, and rotten-hearted to the core. They are not good fighters, preferring to attack from ambush, and even then when their numbers are far greater than their foe. Any one of your team ought to be equal to six or more of these creatures, but the same cannot be said for Grimdell's Guardians or the caravan crew.

And there is more. The Gharzik tribe of gnolls paint themselves blood-red to frighten their enemies. The Korag tribe paint themselves black before battle to assist in their ambushes. The Gharziks and the Korag hate each other. The idea of these cowardly jackal-faced creatures banding together is enough to boggle the mind, as their territorial disputes have kept them at odds for over five long and bloody years. They would not join forces, even to take on a caravan large and fruitful like one belonging to Bilal the Rich.

But here they are...

Hearing the fighting, Bria moves behind Powerpaw and joins the Meadowsweets. She looks to Otiorin and the door. "Oh, whatever is out there, I hope our horses are O.K.!"

Otiorin rose to his feet, bowing courteously to Bronze, before turning and facing the door. He raised the cudgel in his right hand and pointed it at the door, willing it to activate and overcome the protective forces that held the gate fast.

Use Magical Device = +9

Dice roll =[dice]644[/dice]

Result = 18

Otiorin raises the Cudgel of the Wayfarer at the door and realizes instantly that no special training or power appears necessary to make use of this mysterious club. Anyone can make the attempt. As he pours his will forth and watches his fellows unconsciously back away from the door, the dark wood of the cudgel takes on a deep black hue. Yet nothing happens.

But then Otiorin, with his skill at using Magical Devices, recalls a special something. "Sometimes, the unknown needs a little nudging," he recalls from one tome on the subject. "Permission, if you will. This permission is only granted through use of a password. Speak it exactly and firmly, and watch with wonder."

Recalling the parchment, Otiorin says, "Justice be done."

The cudgel hums and trembles in his hand. A ray as black as a starless night lances out from it and strikes the door, piercing the protective spell about it as if it were not there. Immediately the door shudders as the magical energy about it rocks and dissipates, and as it does, a very heavy "click" is heard as the bolt on the great barred door slides out of the wall and into its housing. The door, as if by the cudgel's command, swings inward toward you, revealing a 10 foot by 10 foot by 10 foot foyer of sorts, and a much-thinner non-barred door behind it. This portal appears to lead outside and to freedom. However the foyer is not empty...

A figure stands in the foyer, inches from the door you have opened. Draped in a rich black cloak, a great golden key readied for use in one hand, and a safely sleeping Sparkle tucked carefully with the other, is Stewart. He has Kitrin's Bag of Holding over his shoulder, and behind him, a wide golden horizontal disc seems to follow him, hovering some feet from the floor. This magical disc serves as a moving table of sorts, and it is filled with your other bags, weapons, and gear, from Powerpaw's mighty maul to Kitrin's flail to Bronze's crafting hammer.

Stewart stands there, startled speechless and gaping, as if the last thing he expected to see was the cage-wagon's door opening on its own accord.

"I... I... I..." is all that comes out out of him as he sees you.

5554706270_28ae428297.jpg

Otiorin moves like lightning, barrelling out through the door to crash into Stewart, even as the human stands gaping at the open door. The Half-Elf straddles the man, careful not to crush the captive dragon beneath him, and raises the cudgel for a killing blow.

"Speak loudly, human, and the words you utter will be your death-scream!", he hissed, his eyes narrowed and his lips drawn back into a snarl.

"Ha!" Kitrin exclaims, initially interpreting this sight as Stewart's intention to free them. Then hurriedly she rushes in, snagging her flail on the way, and stands in front of Otiorin, clearly intending to stop him from hitting a helpless servant. "Oh, hush, Oti. Choke a gift horse in the mouth, why don't you? We can sort out later whether he just needs help with the fight or if he's trying to be a friend...You keep hush all the same," she adds in an aside to Stewart, then turns her attention back to her friends. "Meantime, gear up already and let's get out of here! Time's a-wasting!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back