• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Six: Roundabout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hesitantly at first, encouraged by Luna's touch Wolf eventually rises and breaks the suspense.

"I will take it from here. Or try, anyway." he reaches out to Bren to take Bria's stick. "First up is tactics, yes?" he asks rhetorically and then quickly begins.

"I am a forest-friend first, and a Ranger immediately second. I'll explain this later. To keep on point..." During his presentation Wolf does his best to radiate as much confidence as possible, both through words and body language. "I am a great marksman and excel at taking targets out from afar. I've been shooting from bows almost since I could hold one, so you can trust my aim even in the thickest melee; I won't hit a friend by mistake. My skills in tracking and scouting should be on par. That means if I'm playing watch dog whatever manages to slip through my vigil is probably not of this world. In effect I can be pretty stealthy myself. When it comes to tracking, I may not be able to recognize every print in the world but I can sure as hell hunt most things down provided the conditions are right. In effect, I can cover my own tracks. A ranger found who does not wish to be found is doing something wrong."

He pauses for a moment to think before continuing. "To talk specifics... My weapon of choice is the bow, of course, and I prefer using longbows. I do like to keep a blade on the side for close encounters, though my melee skills are inferior to Bren's." He nods at Bren respectfully. "I plan to work on that but my specialization will always be archery. I've honed my skills against Humans and Undead for most part. Of my other talents, well, I can speak with animals. I was born with this ability and it greatly influenced my path in life. While not the greatest acrobat of all time I am agile enough to get around things and I'm a decent climber on good days. I can craft different kinds of traps. I am very good with animals needless to say, as every ranger and druid should be. That also makes me at least an average rider. Geography, nature, monsters, dungeoneering... those are my fields of expertise, though I am not quite an expert yet but I learn every day. By profession I am actually a herbalist but it's been a while since I had the time for that."

Having said all that Wolf takes a deep breath and sloshes his thoughts around. He catches Luna's eyes and this draws a silly grin on his face just as he remembers: "Oh! And I know several languages. Elven, Sylvan, and Draconic. I know them good enough for any purpose. I suppose I should list some weaknesses as well, or it will look like I am bragging, eh? I'm not much of a healer." Here he glances at Bria with a smile. "But I don't need to be with our resident Ko monk around. Diplomacy is also not my stronger side - I'm far more successful bludgeoning through conversations than taking the long way around. I bet you never took me for the intimidating type, right?" he grins in a way that supports the question.

"I'll stop there. I think I've said enough and I'm sure you have questions so go ahead."

Luna listens attentively to Wolf as he talks. She then leans forward and asks, "What about your family? Do you have any living relatives? Where are they from? Are there other Rangers in your family, or are you the only one?"

Bren smiles at Luna's eagerness. "I'm sure he'll get to that in the next section, eh Wolf? But I have a question as well. As a ranger, have you a preferred area or type of area that you're best in?"

Powerpaw flexes his arm and performs a punching motion. "Hey, Wolf-face! What kinda bad guy doez you like ta smack da most? Lemme guess - you sez undeads, right? What kinda dead-face you don't like da most? And, uhhh," the burly Kitty-face scratches his head trying to recall a thought. "Oh, yah. Doez you worships Likki-face?"

Mamapaw gives her son a stern look and pokes him with a sharp claw in the ribs, causing him to hop.

"Uh, I mean, doez you worships Mielikki?"

Mamapaw relaxes and looks to Wolf for his answer.

Bria listens with growing interest which at its apex blossoms into admiration. "Wolf, is this your first Roundabout?"

"I have a few tactical questions, too.

1. How do you and Pecker work together exactly?

2. Do you use different types of arrows? If so, for what purposes? Are there non-typical arrows that you are on the lookout for?

3. What can we as your team do to help you in combat? Is there anything that we are doing that you wish we wouldn't?"

Then, lacking her typical clothing, Bria shivers involuntarily as she waits for his reply.

"Yes, I'll uhh, get to that in the next section." Wolf nods and turns his attention to Bren and Powerpaw.

"The forest is where I feel most at home and as such where I enjoy the biggest advantage. I have spent most of my life under treetops of one kind or another, but in the recent years I've taken a liking to mountains as well. Something about them just... appeals to something within me. Much like with the forest. That is one of the reasons I am glad we're going North. I hope to familiarize myself enough with the terrain there to be able to call it home ground as well." The thought makes him smile, but the second part of the reply brings about a slight frown to his features. "Undead are undead. I mostly faced your standard everyday variety, but I guess the uglier they are the more I hate them."

"When it comes to Mielikki I have great respect for her and adore everything she stands for." he says with a brighter expression. "I do worship the forest mother, yes, but also Solonor Thelandira just as much if not more."

The ranger then turns to Bria, once again finding it impossible not to smile when looking at her eyes. "Me and Pecker have a special bond of the kind only a ranger who speaks the tongue of animals and his falcon can have. I've taught him a few tricks so he can help me scout or even distract enemies when needed. I do use different arrows and arrow heads, though at present all I have with me are common broadheads and whistling one's - the latter are meant for distraction or signaling. They emit a loud whistling noise when airborne. Needless to say I am always on the lookout for anything new to add to my gear. As for the teamwork, well..."

He pauses to think and then says: "I don't have special remarks there. Everything seemed fine so far from that angle. Phew! This roundabout stuff takes effort. It is my first one, yes." He smiles and nods in confirmation.

"Ah!" Bren nods. "I prefer the forest myself, so we have that in common. Is Pecker your, mm, nature companion then? Or are you a falconer as well as ranger, and holding that 'slot' open for someone else?" His gaze slides briefly to the Vardadraug-puppy, then returns to Wolf. "If there is a particular animal you were looking for, we could add that to our list of things to do."

"Not in the sense you're implying, no. Pecker is a good and trusted companion even though I am not a professional falconer, but ours is not the Hunter's Bond. You are right to think I was saving that." The ranger's eyes follow Bren's by reflex as he looks at Vardadraug. He smiles. "I have always been fond of wolves, if you must know but couldn't guess. Ever since I was but a child and ran into a dire wolf in the wilds. Had I not possessed the ability to speak his tongue, I would surely not be standing here today."

"Well, I iz contents. Can't tink of nuffin' ta ask..." Powerpaw nods.

"Me too. You sure catch on Roundabouts quick, Wolf!"

Speaking of wolves, Vardadraug simply sits and watches as he has been; the only tell to his mood is his wagging tail and alert eyes.

Bren nods. "That was all I had, as well."

"Thank you for sharing, my friend." Luna gives her companion a warm smile as she takes his hand.

The ranger nods, takes an extended pause and then begins the second part of his turn.

"I suppose I owe a proper introduction to the newest Wanderers." He clears his throat before proceeding. "My given name is Leonard - I don't have a last name. Bear in mind that Wolf is still my chosen name and I would like everyone to make use of it over the other one. I hail from a small, unremarkable village called Dalsus, located close to the Forest Eternal. I was raised by a ranger community; friends of my father's who I was told appeared one day after extended absence with the baby me, but without my mother. I know nothing of her because my father said little to his fellow rangers and nothing at all about her. I've no reason to doubt what I was told, and my father left again within a year, only this time never to return. I know not what became of him - whether he lives or is dead, and since I don't remember him at all I can't even guess what he would think if he saw me today. My childhood was spent running around and exploring, and when I wasn't getting into trouble I was training to become a ranger myself - quite a success, yes? I am sure my mentors would approve if they knew. I just haven't been back home since I left almost ten years ago."

He stops there and looks expectantly to see if there are any questions.

Bria cannot seem to help but smile at Wolf when he provides them his first name. He seemed so very embarrassed about it, and now here he is sharing something like that with us. How very dear of him! Bria raises her hand. "Do you have any leads whatsoever concerning your parents? Who acted as your parents to raise you (if you're allowed to tell - we Ko aren't the only ones with secrets)? I don't recall ever hearing of the village of Dalsus, though the Forest Eternal is known by nearly all - how do you feel about elves and half-elves?"

Mamapaw and Powerpaw exchange friendly looks as Wolf shares his birth-name. "Leonard," Mamapaw says it in a way that makes the name sound regal.

"Yah! Sounds like 'Leopard' if you just swaps a letter. Moar!" Powerpaw raises his paw. "Uh, soes... When we first met in da prison (when evil-Bilal-face wanted me ta nom you all), you wuz kinda in awe of seein' a Kitty-face for da first time. You seems ta haz lots of wonders like dat. Even da Craven! Soes...

1. Iz dere animals an' monsters you haz always wanted ta see?

2. What doez Pecker sez when he does alla dat chirpin' an' wing-flappin's?

3. Doez you likes animals or humanz moar?

4. How come you likes ta smack really ugly Undead-faces so much? Dey take somethin' from you when you wuz a cub? Your mentors tellz you lotsa scary stories?"

Even Mamapaw cannot resist asking her fellow forest-friend a question. She, too, raises her paw. "Forgive me, everyone, for asking my question this way." Mamapaw discreetly clears her throat and lets out a trailing meow that rises in pitch, ending, if you will, in a tone that sounds as if she is asking a question. Those among the Wanderers who have backgrounds with cats know a curious cat-meow when they hear one - but that is all.

"Have you ever encountered evil serpents in this land? I don't mean reptiles, but snakes? Are there any cults of evil snake worshippers that you know of?"

The answer to this question is no. There really are none anywhere in Sharseya so far as Wolf knows. Serpents are neutral in alignment and are simply part of the animal world. However, this might bring up yet another wonder for Wolf to consider, for (again as far as Wolf knows)
nowhere in all of Sharseya do cats and snakes not get along any more than they ought to.

If Wolf seems to understand Mamapaw's meowing, she brightens and even purrs! Powerpaw then lets out an "Oooh! Wolfie-face speaks Kitty-face!" And this being the language of cats, of course he does. =)

Bren listens intently, and nods. "I've been to Dalsus, but only twice, and both were more than a year ago. If you don't mind telling it, why have you not been back in so long?"

"My father was a ranger in Dalsus and I was raised by the other rangers there. No one volunteered to be my parents per se. I had mentors and instructors. And I do not have any leads about my parents, for better or for worse." Wolf says. "I've seen elves a couple of times while growing up, but didn't have any real interaction with them until I left the village when I was 19 and wandered into the Forest Eternal a year after. How do I feel about them?" he stops to think. "Respect and admiration. I didn't meet a half elf until we got ourselves one," he grins over at Otiorin, "But I can say the same for them now. At least until I meet others."

Wolf then beholds the two kitty-faces with renewed interest, especially Sabrefang. He listens to Powerpaw patiently and then replies: "Oh, definitely. Dragons are still on my list for example, even after meeting Koshianth. But it's not what beasts I always wanted to see, it's the ones that I never even heard of in order to be able to want to see them! Like the Craven, or you, Powerpaw, or that hulking bug thing I shared a several short but definitely weirdest moments of my life with... I..." his voice trails off for a moment there, and from his expression it is clear that he paused in remembrance. "I remember... odd things. That's funny. I just remembered that... Oh, never mind. What were you asking...? Pecker, right. If he is both chirping and flapping it is most likely to do with fish. Safest bet."

"There's nothing special I can tell you about the Undead. I like to smack them because their very existence seems a blasphemy. They're like a plague, always seeking to destroy life. What's not to smack? But you question about animals or humans, that's harder." Wolf's seems to relax more from that point. "Animals are easier to handle, that's for sure. For me at least. A court diplomat would probably claim it is the other way around, but think about it. Animals are simple. They are as much part of Nature as we are, but unlike us they act like it. I love their company and many times prefer it over any human or elf or otherwise. But make no mistake - I know my place. And it's with people."

He smiles at Sabrefang's question and politely shakes his head. "The answer to your question is no. None at all. But of course I speak kitty-face. I've spoken to cats before, naturally." Then it hits him. "Wait. Do you even have cats where you are from? I mean the kind we do." He asks, but from the way he said it it sounds like he doesn't think they do.

Sabrefang nods proudly. "Ohh, Leopard... I mean, Leonard."

Powerpaw chews on a ham, crunching the bone easily. "Moooom, he wants ta be called Wolf. Callz him by hiz faaace!"

"Right! Thank you, son." She turns to the ranger. "Wolf! We most certainly do! But I will save that for my turn in this 'Roundabout'... as it appears some among you wish me to participate." Then she looks to Bria. "I have no more questions for him."

"Tell him, 'I am content'?'

"I am content, Wolf!"

"I iz too!"

Bria holds up her hand and gives a thumbs-up. "Me makes three! Oh, dear. Kitty-face speech is starting to have an effect on my own..." With that, the not-too-far-from-naked monk shivers a second time. Powerpaw sees this and rises from the circle, ham in mouth. He plops down behind her and scoops her up. "Eep!" Bria is surprised as he easily picks her up around her waist and places her against his chest. She smiles and snuggles into his black and white fur and shivers no more. "Thanks, fuzzy goof!"

"It iz what us fuzzy goofs iz good for. Moar!"

Bren smiles. "I am content as well."

Luna thinks about Leonard/Wolfs comments, and smiles to herself. I like that name. I'll have to remember it. "I am content. All of my questions have been answered."

Wolf nods but has more to say himself. "Alright... I'm not done yet, however. I want to elaborate on two other things. First, when I said that I was a forest-friend first and ranger second? I became a ranger because I was raised among them. But a forest-friend? I guess you might say that I was born one. My earliest memories are scents of wild flowers and wind in my face. I didn't get in trouble the way the other kids did. I did everything in my power to escape the indoors and lose myself outside, though I didn't think of it that way back then. I just followed my curiosity, and the ability to speak with animals only made things worse in that regard. It allowed me to get to places no one could ever find, see things not otherwise seen, and of course lead me to danger as well. Like the dire wolf encounter." he grinned at that. "Now I can't speak for all dire wolves out there of course, especially the starving ones, but if you find yourself face to face with one and you happen to speak its language; flatter the hell out of it. Or amuse it. Preferably both."

"My point is, I would have been a forest-friend anyway, ranger or not. The wilds come first to me, with all the life they hold. Even when that life seems hostile. Now don't get me wrong!" he hurries to explain. "Ice giants, trolls, gnolls and such, these things don't count. I mean true animals. Sometimes, some beasts are just misunderstood. People put them down out of fear and that's wrong. Killing is a last resort for me. I want to help them. Understand them. You need to know how I stand on this in case we run into... peculiar encounters in the future."

"The second thing was, well, my plans. Clearly I want to get to Highwind. I want to explore the place, but I'm more interested in the outskirts. I hope we find something interesting to do, maybe help someone or something. I would also like to work on my melee skills. I'm planning to get a lighter sword, a rapier preferably, which I think I should be able to use well. Archery is definitely my thing, but I want to be capable to handle common foes myself when they get close enough to threaten and not have to do depend on you guys. I know it's your role to protect the archer, but there will be moments when you are unable to do that. Perhaps you could show me a few tricks, Bren?"
he nods at the man.

"And that's pretty much that. If no one has any questions after this, I'm done."

"I really like your feelings on animals. They're living creatures too. As for action, have no worries there, friend Wolf," Bria smiles to him. "In my experience, if an adventurer can't find action in and around Highwind, then he just isn't looking! In fact, as Grandmaster Shen put it before we left Phoenix Mountain, Highwind is one of those few special places that adventures and opportunities sometimes come looking for you."

After what seemed like a lifetime of silence, Otiorin spoke up.

"If you want a rapier, I have one that I took from the Painless bard who attacked Bria. You can have it, it's not a weapon I particularly like using. Though I have to ask, what are your greater plans? What do you hope to achieve in the future? Is there any careers that interest you?"

Essentially, is there any other Classes or Prestige Classes that you are interested in?

Bren listens keenly as Wolf explains his stance on animals and the natural world, clearly noting it for future reference. "Aye, Highwind has a great deal of 'outskirts,' and those outskirts are full of interesting things to see and do - and generally trouble to get into (or out of) as well. Certainly I will be happy to help you with sword-work; rapier isn't something I've specialized in, but as a fighter I've got good grounding in just about any common weapon. And I do know a few tricks that work well with any agile person." He glances at Otiorin and nods. "I think our spellcasters ought to give it a good look-over and make sure it doesn't have any hidden problems - that would be wise to do with anything we pick up from bad guys, actually - but if all's well, that would save us some money when we reach the shops."

Wolf nods and nods. "I can take a look at the rapier, but even if it passed the appropriate security checks I'm not sure I'd want it knowing in whose hands it was. I thank you for the offer, Otiorin, but I think I'd rather see what my own gold can get me in Highwind."

After that conclusion, he dwells upon the other matter for a few long moments before he shakes his head. "I have to admit that I don't really have a long term plan aside from the whole get out-see stuff-live to tell about it thing. I am interested in pursuing any archery and ranger related paths along the way. I just haven't decided which, because I don't believe I'm aware of enough options at this point."

"It is a wise man to know when to admit to ignorance," Luna says with no trace of sarcasm in her voice. "Not everyone would be willing to say such things. It is very big of you."

"I..." Wolf starts awkwardly, "I.. Well, thank you. The whole point of this roundabout thing is honesty for the sake of team play, right? Well that was my bit to share. I hope it helps."

That said he places Bria's stick to rest on the table but doesn't sit down just yet, in the off case that there's an additional question his way.

Bria beams a sunny smile and claps for Wolf. "You were terrific, Wolf! Should you meet more of my people on the road, you'll have more than archery and Ranger skills to impress them with!"

Powerpaw and Sabrefang exchange yet another series of meows, facial expressions, and body language movements. "Uh, Bria?" Powerpaw looks down.

"Yes, Your nice and warm Fuzziness?" Bria looks up.

"Mom an' I waz thinkin'... mebbe we kin haz Roundabout at da same time? She's better at answerin' some questions dan and vicey versy! Anyting in da rules against dat?"

Bria lays back against Powerpaw's muscled fur and considers the question for a few long moments. "Nope! That's just fine. Sometimes when one of us Ko are impaired or otherwise in need of help, a substitute will stand in and speak or interpret as needed. One of our farmers has a real strong body but her mind is dull. So during her action in the Roundabout, a close friend of hers helped her understand her way through it."

"Oh boy! C'mon, Mom! Let's do dis!"

But as Powerpaw eagerly reaches for Bria's stick, he finds his mother's left paw around the scruff of his neck. He stops immediately. "Mom?"

"Patience, son! You have been alone for too long. Think of the others in your team. Don't you want to hear what he has to say?" With her free paw, she gently indicates Otiorin.

"Of course! Right! Tanks, Mom!" Powerpaw relaxes, cuddles Bria some more, and waits for Otiorin to have his opportunity in the Roundabout. Powerpaw, Bria, and Mamapaw regard Otiorin with expressions of friendly anticipation. "Go, Oti-face! Mooooooarr!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back