• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Six: Roundabout!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
<p>

(Copied from the last page of Chapter Five...) Mamapaw listens to Bren's every word with a mixture of worry and hope. When he is finished, she lifts a claw to reply. "Oh! That won't be necessary... you see... there is something important I never <em>told </em>Gerran or the Painless..." Just then, the front door to the Adventurers' Guild swings wide and Bria bursts in through the purple clouds in the doorway along with the Daughters of Summertime. The trio of beautiful light-trailing faeries zip and swirl through the air. Bria's hair is slightly damp as is her courtesan's outfit. <span style="color:#b30059;">"The rain is here! It's </span><span style="color:#b30059;"><em>soooo</em></span><span style="color:#b30059;"> pretty in the moonlight, but there is a stormcloud coming right behind it. So be ready!"</span> <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">But that is no surprise, as Highwind is legendary for its temperamental weather. No, the surprise comes when the Daughters of Summertime shake the raindroplets off of their wings and hair and spot Mamapaw.</span> <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">The Daughters of Summertime shriek and cry happily, bee-lining it straight to Mamapaw, shouting, </span><span style="color:#00b300;"><strong><em>"MELSHAAAEFF!"</em></strong></span> <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> Mamapaw smiles excitedly and sets her food down and opens her arms, hugging each one ofthem. "Ohhhh! Daughters of Summertime! What happened to you?! I was so worried!" The woodland faeries snuggle, kiss, and play in a familiar fashion on and about Mamapaw's feline face and shoulders. "Melshaef, Melshaef!" "We missed you so much!" "We flew and flew to deliver your message to Skaagenracker!" "We sure did! But </span><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"><em>an evil, nasty wizard</em></span><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> captured us and trapped us in a globe!" "But Otiorin of the half-elves and the Wanderers freed us!" "Yeah, and he taught us an important lesson about judging people, too!" Mamapaw turns to Otiorin and bows to him. Then she bows to all of you. "Daughters," Melshaef/Mamapaw/Sabrefang stands with a straight back filled with dignity as if reassuming an old role, "who among the Wanderers are not known to you?" "Oh! Bright Fire!" One daughter points straight at Luna. "And your son!" "Yes, the others are known to us - some for a long time!" Melshaef/Mamapaw/Sabrefang turns to Luna and Powerpaw. She gracefully waves her paw through the air and states, "You have saved me from the clutches of Loviatar and her Painless from a fate worse than death. For this, I pronounce you Forest-friends!" Bria stands next to Otoirin, waving her hands in complete surprise. </span><span style="color:#b30059;"> "</span><span style="color:#b30059;"><em>You </em></span><span style="color:#b30059;">are Melshaef?! All this time, the Painless had Melshaef in their cage and they didn't know it?"</span> <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">Melshaef nods. 'Indeed, little kitten! Druidesses must keep their secrets close after all! After Gerran and his Painless destroyed my tree, I sent the Daughters of Summertime to warn Skaagenrackner. When Skaagenrackner failed to contact me, I followed the Daughters of Summertime and that is when Gerran and his minions caught me. Of course, they did not know me for who I was, for I have made it a matter of intrigue by telling people from all over that I am actually this guise or that." She grins, relieved. "And now I am glad I did." Powerpaw gawks. </span><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"><span style="color:rgb(179,0,0);">"Mom?! You iz a refugee-savin' </span></span><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"><span style="color:rgb(179,0,0);"><em>druid </em></span></span><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"><span style="color:rgb(179,0,0);">now?"</span></span> <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> She beams in pride. "I had to have </span><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"><em>something</em></span><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> with the months I scoured Sharseya looking for you!" </span> <span style="color:#b30059;">"Oh, </span><span style="color:#b30059;"><em>that's it! I have had it!</em></span><span style="color:#b30059;">"</span><span style="color:#000000;"> Bria clenches her little fists and stomps her foot down. </span><span style="color:#b30059;">"I say we </span><span style="color:#b30059;"><em>go </em></span><span style="color:#b30059;">out there and gather the rest of the Craven's hide or not, and </span><span style="color:#b30059;"><em>get moving</em></span><span style="color:#b30059;"> before the Painless come back and the full storm gets here, and once we are on our way... every single one of us Wanderers is going to sit down </span><span style="color:#b30059;"><em>right </em></span><span style="color:#b30059;">here! For we are </span><span style="color:#b30059;"><em>long </em></span><span style="color:#b30059;">overdue for a </span><span style="color:#b30059;"><em>Roundabout!"</em></span>

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
"Bria, what da face is a Roundabouts?"

Mamapaw sternly raises a finger as if to chide Powerpaw in the use of his language, but realizing that he actually hasn't used foul language, thinks twice and refrains.

Bria opens her hands and explains to everyone. "A Roundabout is a Ko monk event and one secret to our continued survival and success as a people. All Ko monks who are going to be part of a team must get to know one another deeply. Deep knowing is defined in three ways:

1. Tactical Communication: How do you prefer to fight? What are your special abilities? How do you choose to use them? What, specifically, are you aspiring to become? What do you perceive are your strengths and weaknesses? Does the rest of the team agree?

2. Background: Where are you from? Do you mind us knowing? What are you? Do you have siblings? Who are they? Do you have any friends in Highwind we might know?

3. Aspirations: What are your goals? Is there someone you're looking for? Who do you want to become and why? What are you aspiring to become as far as your adventuring class is concerned? Wolf may be a Ranger now, but will he always be? Why did Otiorin choose
two adventuring classes? Is there a Prestige class he is going after?

We have
way too many loose ends and we need to wrap them up! That's the other thing a Roundabout is good for. We haven't had a tour of the Adventurers' Wagon since we were captured in it, there are conversations we need to have amongst each other... in short, we need to just and talk!"

Then she yawns and wobbles a bit, the energy of the fight finally fading from her. "Um, in the morning, that is? After a good night's sleep?"

Luna nods in agreement. "Yes, a roundabout sounds like a good idea, but the thought of getting a good nights sleep sounds even better right now. Let us retire for the evening, then we can start our roundabout over breakfast. How does that sound to everyone?"

And so the mighty Craven transforms from a living nightmare ready to feast on the dead to 96 carefully laid-out hide sheets lying neatly in the Forge-wagon. Stewart recommends the hides go there, for the very idea of them being stored in the extravagance of the Adventurers' Wagon is enough to make the old fellow worry for the stink and the stains. Long has he toiled to keep these wagons in good shape, and if there is but one left under his care, then by the Saint's Mace, it will be kept in pristine condition, worthy of heroes like the Wanderers!

Stewart sez, "What is that? A filthy and repulsive Adventurer's Wagon, you say? NOT ON MY WATCH!!" =)

Wolf, Otiorin, and Powerpaw can be found taking watches as the night passes on and the hours drift peacefully by. At one point, Wolf keen senses detects something hidden in the woods along the Road of Kings. A tap on Powerpaw's shoulder has the big furry beast looking over the side of the wagon as Otiorin joins you. One throaty snarl later, and the three of you have the opportunity to share knowing grins as you hear what sounds like a gnoll scampering away in fear at top speed deeper into the woods.

It sounds a like... "RrrrrrrrrOOOOWRRR!!" followed by a series of receding, "Yike! Yike! Yike! Yike!" cries. =)

The five "guest" rooms which the Wanderers take up are equal or better to those found by successful nobles and prominent dignitaries. Stewart has provided what he hopes are good match-ups for those of you sharing rooms. "I like your pretty tulips," Bria points at Wolf's present and winks to Luna from within one such room shared by the two young women. Bria's tidy lawfulness is apparent on her side of the room as her every item is laid clean and neatly prior to her washing her armor (she can turn the thing into a small slip and wash it in a bowl - so not fair to all of the other adventuring women out there). She finally bathes herself in the Great Pool and going to bed, falling asleep rather quickly (all in a very orderly manner).

Earlier, the Ko monk mentioned that the pool is self-cleaning and this turns out be true. Still, a good warm shower may be in your future forecast if all goes well.

In another room shared by Otiorin and Bronze, you find little Missus Whittle sighing, broom in hand, and taking one last look at her nice, clean floors before, "you two boys go and dirty it all up like boys do."

Wolf and Bren share a room with Stewart's apologies. "Bilal's own room is... well... currently fit for only Bilal. I have been planning on making it a more pleasant affair once this old man has a peaceful moment..."

In the fourth of five rooms, and after a thorough cleaning in the Great Pool (most of it provided by her son and the Daughters of Summertime along with several soapy buckets and brushes), Mamapaw tries not to feel guilty as her son pulls the crisp, clean sheets over her. Powerpaw has pushed both medium-sized beds together for her. After he has attacked his armor and weapons with soaps, oils, and a wire brush, the natural born killer sleeps with a toothy grin on the carpeted floor between his beloved mother and the door.

The fifth room is currently not being used as someone smashed the door from within (it was like someone was trying to get out in a hurry or something not too long ago). Once that door is replaced, it will be fit for future guests. =)

By the time all of you wake in the late morning, Stewart and the Meadowsweets are fast at rest after their labors. You are left for making breakfast yourself. You find, however, that Bria is the first one up. She is sitting by the Great Pool, in her glamered battle robes (currently displaying the numerous colors of tulips), praying on her knees, her hands folded, her face serene. Her hair is tousled, her face sleepy-eyed, but there she is before a tremendous array of fruits, juices, milk, coffee, teas, pastries, toast, bacon, even honey hams. The delightful smell is enough to awaken the stomachs of dead men.

She opens her eyes as you enter. "Good morning! What is left of it..."

Luna is wearing her customary red robes with the addition of the flowers that she was given last night by Wolf. It is clear that she has taken the time to brush out her long hair and to apply a hint of makeup, probably to look her best for her new love. After lifting Sparkle up to her customary spot on her shoulder, the fire mage walks her way down the hall to the Great Pool. With a friendly smile and wave, she sets down in front of the food. "Good morning indeed! I slept like the dead. Hopefully I didn't snore and keep you awake. All the excitement of the day before must have worn me out more than I thought." As she talks, Luna reaches out to grab a piece of toast and slathers some spread on it, then takes a dainty bite. "You must tell me, where did you get those glamered robes? I would love to have a set of my own! Is it something of the Ko monks, or did you find them somewhere else? Also, what else can you tell me about this Roundabout? I am interested in learning more about my fellow Wanderers, and to share of myself."

Level 0 - Message, Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost

Level 1 - Shield x2, Enlarge Person, Unseen Servant, Gravity Bow, Shocking Grasp

Level 2 - Extended Mage Armor, Scorching Ray, Blur, Resist Energy

Level 3 - Haste, Fireball, Lightning Bolt

Level 4 - Extended Displacement, Ball Lightning

Force Missile x8

Otiorin strolled in, bereft of his jerkin and boots, he padded along in his bare feet, leather trews and shirt. He scooped up an armful of fruit, lounged in a heap of cushions and started to work some of the richly flavoured fruit. He yawned lazily between mouthfuls, surprised at just how tired he'd been after the last night's frenetic activity.

"Sound like a fun wheeze.", he chuckled, as he demolished an orange, "Where do we start?"

"With me, I suppose. The Roundabout is a Ko tradition after all." Bria stretches her arms above her head and sighs. "I got a full night's sleep, and I'm still beat! I think all this constant action, emotion, and heavy thinking is catching up to me." She looks to Bren and gives a tired giggle. "Can we take a weekend off, Mister Leader Lord, sir?"

"Successful Roundabouts are made up of little things like spell lists, weapon and style choices, little bits of personal background, and goals. We start with whomever is holding the stick," she taps her fighting stick.

"After the initial introduction, teammates get to ask the spokesperson whatever they want but given that you're all Outsiders and not under The Challenge, you are allowed to withhold information as you see fit. We do this in three stages: Team-talk, Background, and Aspirations. Team-talk is usually the one that needs working on, takes the longest, and is most-important for success, so us monks usually start with that."

"Above all, we Ko get out things we really have to say to each other concerning team-function. Oh, and if you think I'm chatty with you, wait until you meet more of my people someday! Most of us are like this!"

Bria clasps her hands and gives her best smile: "The Wanderers meeting my people has to happen sooner or later! Right, Mister Storyteller?"

ST: I just work here, sweetie. =)

B: "But you always say that..."

ST: "Hey, you know how I operate. If you can make it happen, I'm willing to go with it."

B: "Hooray!"

Powerpaw then strides in, his armor in one paw, his mother's hand in the other. He stretches. "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmooooaar! Morning to all da faces!" He appears very ready to be in on the Roundabout as he plops down near Otiorin and Bria. Mamapaw, on the other hand, waves quietly and walks timidly between the Wanderers as if not wishing to disturb their morning in any way. She sits beside Powerpaw and listens until Powerpaw hands her some food and drink. "Mom, eat ups!" She grins to him and does so all the while trying to do her best impression of a wallflower.

"Power-goof? Please sit in a circle with the rest of us?"

"Oh! Sures!" Powerpaw adjusts and Mamapaw with him.

"O.K. Here we go..." Once everyone has arrived and gotten comfortable in the circle, Bria begins by tapping her fighting stick on the floor. Her voice echoes throughout the Great Pool room as if one used to addressing people. She looks to the ceiling (or beyond it) and proclaims the following statement: "Kosayris, kosairis... We, who are brought together by justice and love, begin the Roundabout. We who seek truth in our actions. We who long for wisdom for the goodness of others. We who desire enlightenment for our souls. Alone we are but a flame, but together, we become a great blaze that burns as brightly and as long as we choose to fuel it. May this Roundabout provide all of the fuel we need to be that great blaze, for others as well as ourselves. Asteallo verris lasai ris shantala..."

Bria intones but does not cast. Instead, she holds her fighting stick vertically and addresses each of you casually. "I am Bria of the Ko. I am the last healer on Sharseya. There are no longer any others..."

She grins as her soft voice becomes casual. She speaks to each of you as if she has always known you, and you, her. "Time for team-talk. Well, you guys, as a healer, it is my primary responsibility in a team to restore lost life energy, break conditions and curses, remove afflictions of all natures including dispelling personal demons. Like druids and clerics, I have access to divine energy and call upon the Ko and myself to make these things happen. I can wear light armor of any type. I fight with most simple weapons, but I am banned from causing damage of any kind. Please don't ask me to do it; I am not the tough woman some people feel the need to have or be."

"My special abilities include casting all of my healing spells at range (an ability only Healers seem to have). They are also more powerful than other divine casters of similar level. Like clerics, I am able to spontaneously cast healing spells, however, the number of spells I can draw from (spells known) are quite limited compared to other true divine casters. I am able channel energy upon myself to restore life-force in an area-of-effect (this energy, while a positive force, does not harm undead). I also possess healer abilities, that while spell-like in effect, are not spells, but abilities. These I can perform but once per day. Also, at my level, my healing spells do not provoke attacks of opportunity in any way." Bria runs one hand through her long, brown hair and gives you a sunny smile. "It is because of this that I can keep all of us alive."

Spells Per Day

0 - Create Water, Deathwatch, Detect Magic, Light, Mending, Read Magic.

1 (6/day) - Goodberry, Protection from Evil (x2), Sanctuary (x2), Speak with Animals.

2 (6/day) - Calm Emotions, Delay Poison, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Disease, Lesser Restoration (x2).

3 (5/day) (Create Food and Water has been cast), Neutralize Poison, Remove Curse, Restoration (x2).

(4/day) - Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, Panacea (x2).

Channel Energy: 6/6. (6 total per day. 3/day + Cha bonus. 4d6+12 to all in a 30 foot radius centered on the healer. Selective Channelling Feat: Can select up to 3 targets [CHA bonus] to not be affected. Healer change: This force cannot cause damage.)

HEALER SPECIAL ABILITIES

Channel Energy (as Cleric) Healing only - 4d6+12 damage, 6 times/day.

Healing Hands (Add Charisma modifier to healing)

Heal at Range (35 feet + 5 feet per Healer level. Currently 70 feet)

Skill Focus (Heal)

Cleanse Paralysis (1/day) - As Remove Paralysis (used)

Cleanse Disease (1/day) - As Remove Disease

Cleanse Fear (1/day) - As Remove Fear

Cleanse Poison (1/day) - As Neutralize Poison

Effortless Healing (healing spells cause no Attacks of Opportunity)

She takes a drink of juice and continues.
"I prefer to cast from afar and draw as little attention to myself as I can, watching the battlefield and shouting out warnings as able. I don't deal well with the reckless or overconfident (they worry me too much), but I do work well with those who practice teamwork and communication. In other words, if you think you're about to get in over your head or suffer some condition, let me know and I can make adjustments as necessary. My training tells me to keep the front-line alive (and if we don't have a front line when we are supposed to, I can really be thrown off).

"Being lightly-armored, I am able to be hurt pretty easily, but I've drawn upon Ko techniques to improve both my tactics and my defense."

"My goal is to return to and surpass my earlier expertise as a Healer. Until recently, I was twice my current adventuring level with all of the victories and defeats that went with the experience."

"The first of three subjects has been spoken. Is there anything I can be doing better as a Healer or teammate?" Bria turns the stick horizontally and listens eagerly.

Wolf arrived later than the others, sporting his standard traveler's outfit minus the jacket and cape which he left in the room to grab later. His brown hair looked like he didn't bother to fix it up much since he got up from bed. He still seemed sleepy when he entered the room, but only until he spotted Luna. At the sight of her his hazel eyes lit up in a way that made it clear her effort to look her best did not go in vain. Just in time for Bria to begin, he quickly sat down beside the sorceress and planted a gentle kiss on he forehead. He smiled at her, he smiled at the food, he smiled at Bria and then listened intently to what she was saying, nodding now and then in understanding.

But when the Ko monk was done, the ranger wasn't keen on picking up the stick. Instead he occupied himself with breakfast, letting someone else take over while he awaited his turn later.

"Um," Bria notices Wolf's hesitation and meekly says, "I forgot to mention (I keep treating you like Ko instead of Outsiders, I know), this is the part where you guys ask me questions about my class, my teamwork, or anything else. If you have nothing to say, we Ko usually even state that by saying, 'I am content' or some such. After that, I say a little about my background, and then aspirations. Questions for each. After that, I pass the stick onto the next person and they begin with teamwork like I did."

Dannigan said:
Wolf and Bren share a room with Stewart's apologies. "Bilal's own room is... well... currently fit for only Bilal. I have been planning on making it a more pleasant affair once this old man has a peaceful moment..."
Bren's side of the room ends up as orderly as Bria's does in her room; gear, clothing, weapons, and armor are all neatly arranged in their own places.
In the morning, he rises quietly, dresses fully but without armor, and joins the others by the pool. "Good morning, everyone," he says as he fills a plate and takes his seat in the forming circle. "Bria, thank you for breakfast. It looks wonderful."

Dannigan said:
She looks to Bren and gives a tired giggle. "Can we take a weekend off, Mister Leader Lord, sir?"
Bren shudders in mock terror. "Please, no! You've no idea how much trouble adventurers get into on their 'time off.' I have no desire to post bail for my party members again!" He listens as she explains how roundabouts work amongst the monks, and then launches into the start of it by describing her own abilities. He nods as she wraps up and asks for comments and questions. "You and I have had previous adventures together, so I knew a good bit of this already, but it's good to hear it again, and more thoroughly than we had time for before. As a technical matter, though, I do wonder - you say you are 'banned' from causing damage? I had thought it a personal preference, not a requirement of your abilities."

Bria frowns, sad and concerned at the subject matter, but ready to deal with it. Part of this was what a Roundabout was for after all.

"It's hard to say, Bren, since there are no longer any other healers to compare me to. My willingly harming something only happened once, and you were there for it in the Cratian challenge against that host of Vampire Lords. I still feel a little bad about having to cause harm to that... that... ugly-and-vicious-creature-who-was-going-to-turn-us-all-into-evil-vampires-just-like-him-and-his-equally-evil-cohorts... but if I hadn't attacked him and knocked him unconscious, it would have happened! So... I guess completely losing my healing powers for awhile was worth it."

She bows her head, places her hand on her forehead, and sighs. "I just... can't stand the thought harming anyone..."

Otiorin frowned from his nest and asked, "So you're saying that if, through your own actions, you cause harm to another, even so much as knocking them out, you lose access to your powers?"

He sat back, his face grimmer as he set aside the fruit he was eating.

"Yes, it appears that way," Bria nods unashamedly before taking another drink of juice. "I can perform every fighting motion a Ko initiate knows with utmost accuracy and (hopefully by now) really good form. But I've never hurt anyone with it. Ever."

"I see.", was the Half-Elf's only reply. The gnawing sensation that had begun eating at his gut was intensifying. He rose and poured himself a long glass of milk and sipped it slowly, trying to settle the disquiet within him.

"Grandmaster Shen once told me it had something to do with intent. This hasn't occurred when I've hurt someone by accident, only when I socked that Vampire Lord with my quarterstaff. I meant to hurt him." Bria grins wistfully. "Still... I miss that nice old quarterstaff..."

Luna continues to eat as she listens, occasionally pulling a morsel off for Sparkle to nibble on. "I had no idea that there were so many rules for healers, and that there are no more in the world. The rules part shouldn't surprise me, though. There are so many rules to being able to cast magic that it takes years for most initiates to be able to do more than a cantrip. I am a rare case with my affinity to fire magic, I took off and was casting my initial spells in my first six months. Look at me, jumping in with information about me before we have let Bria finish her own story. Can you tell us how many Ko monks there are, assuming you are not forbidden from discussing it."

Bren smiles comfortingly and reaches across the circle to pat Bria's hand (or knee, whichever's closest). "We'll make sure you're not forced into such an unpleasant choice again, then."

Bria shakes her head in a smiling apology to Luna. "We have too many enemies to provide details like that."

When Bren pats her knee, Bria sighs in relief and keeps her smile. "Bren, you're really good at being reassuring, you know that?"

"Um, I would like to do two things here: First, I am going to continue my part of the Roundabout by getting into a little history and background along with my aspirations, and secondly, I would like to combine those two last steps into one. The sooner I close, the sooner someone else can open. This does
not mean that you cannot continue to ask me questions relating to teamwork, healer class, tactics, or the like. Some questions, after all, pop into the mind only after others have been asked (I like to think that it's kind of like stacking rocks on top of each other; sooner or later, you stand upon them all and see the world a little differently).

Bria turns her fighting stick vertically once more. "Let's see... What am I allowed to share with you?" She scratches her nose. "Um, I was born to Ko monks. My father, Ashra of the Ko, is a lifelong herbalist and one of the bravest and smartest men I know. My mother, Saru of the Ko, is a... wait. I'm not allowed to tell you that. Um...." Bria giggles a girlish, beautiful sound as she watches your faces during her attempt at recovering from this social stumble. "She's really, really pretty! Mom doesn't look half her age, either. Then again, most Ko age really well when compared to Outsiders. Um... They are both not far from Enlightenment."

"We of the Ko live upon a wonderful realm we call Phoenix Mountain. It is extremely difficult for a non-Ko to come upon this place and it is said that while many seek it, it is never found by accident. We do lots of wondrous things, most of which I am not allowed to share. We really like farming, practicing, reading, singing, playing musical instruments, fishing, swimming, rock climbing, sightseeing, and becoming closer to Enlightenment. We see each other as
one big family but not using in the definition Outsiders use for the word. For us, love and Enlightenment are everything.

"Ko Monks come basically in two major 'flavors': Mystic Warriors and Holy Wardens. Mystic Warriors are the monks most people associate us with while Holy Wardens are our divine casters, kind of like clerics, but different in notable ways."
Bria rolls her eyes in mild embarrassment. "Here's a little story for you: I was assumed to be a Holy Warden. Now, Holy Wardens have the ability to Turn the undead with their holy power and technique. Part of this Turning training entails putting you in a room with all that you need to Turn or Destroy an undead opponent. Then they seal you in there with an undead, usually a skeleton. I tried to Turn, and Turn, and Turn, and it just wouldn't work! Meanwhile this bony thing is chasing me around with a rusty sword! My fellows are shouting encouragement and yelling and cheering, but regardless of how I performed the technique, nothing happened! There was a sarcophagus between me and my skeleton opponent and for about a half an hour, there I was running around in circles, evading and avoiding the skeleton while it tried to kill me. It was a real pickle especially seeing as I felt harming it was a bad idea. All I could do was defend myself and run!

"Eventually, someone summoned the Elders and they came to the conclusion that I was certainly not a Holy Warden. They held a special Conclave just to learn about what I was. The answer, like almost everything, came to them - I belonged to a
new class of holy spellcasters. Or, new to the Ko, anyway. Much lies in the Outside World here that does not where we come from. After incredible effort, we found the only real Healer that seemed to exist. She trained me further in the arts and late last year, after they found her murdered, I was told I was the last. I'm inclined to believe it - no other order seems to have one, and nearly everyone mistakes me for a cleric.

"Just you watch, guys,"
she fondly taps her Mielikkian amulet. "Someone's going to call me a Cleric of Mielikki any day now."

Mamapaw suddenly and shyly puts her paw over her mouth as if she had thought so at the beginning of their meeting. Bria notices and giggles again.

"Aspirations... Well, beyond regaining and surpassing my original plateau of experience, I would like to accomplish the following five goals:

1. I need to get into contact with someone from my order as soon as I can. They should know what has happened with us. I would like to ask them their wisdom concerning our prismalcum and of Loviatar, whom I have precious little experience with. I feel very strongly that my Elders would know something on both counts.

2. Otiorin gave me a wonderful elven horsie that I really want to get to know and outfit... I still need to find out what Fela-.... Fe-lah-rof? What does it mean? Oh, and we Ko tend to get along pretty well with horsies; in many ways, we have a lot in common.

I really want us to get to Highwind to let Bishop du Blake (he's the head of the order of Saint Cuthbert in the church-fortress in Highwind, and a super-sweetie, though you'll never hear his people call him that!) and Mother Leaf (she's the older lady in charge of the Mielikkians at Earthhome) and tell them minions of Loviatar have taken direct action against Melshaef and her tree. If this means the minions of Loviatar are somehow in force this far south of Highwind, then that means trouble for everyone along the Road of Kings.

I can craft wondrous magical items and I would like to see what I can make for folks while we travel.

Bria points her fighting stick straight at Otiorin. "Oh, and I really want to have an extended conversation with you, good sir. To say I am confused by a number of things does not begin to describe my feelings. Could we have a chat over a hot bath together or something?" Bria asks for this bath with the same innocence as if she had just asked for a glass of milk. She appears to have no other implications whatsoever. The rest of the Wanderers, however, may grinningly feel otherwise. Powerpaw, for one, hears this and chuckles mightily.

"What?" But Powerpaw just shakes his head and waves his paw for her to continue.

"Oh! And I just realized, Miss Luna! I don't believe I answered a previous question of yours about my
glamered armor, did I? Yes, Ko monks craft this and many other useful items not often found in the Outside World. But then again... you have lots of things out here that we don't have. Like taverns! And magic wagons! And dragons! Hee hee!"

Bria turns her fighting stick sideways and awaits questions or contentment with a soft smile. "This concludes my stage of the Roundabout. I will continue to monitor and remind everyone how this is supposed to work. After we conclude with me, the next of us should raise her or his hand to receive the stick next. But for now, your turn! Ask me anything! Aurielu alai ris!"

"I hef one." Wolf says, but after realizing just how full his mouth is, he holds up a finger until succeeding in wolfing down the food before continuing.

"I mean, I have a question. What does that mean, aulieru alai ris? Do the Ko have a language of their own?"

He doesn't dare to take another bite until he gets a reply, just in case he needs to ask something else.

=)

[media]
[/media]
Bria smiles in a rare moment of pride. "That's the Celestial language, oh Wolfing Wolf. Aurielu alai ris means, 'serenity for you' or 'may you have serenity.' Nearly all Ko speak Celestial. It is the ancient language of angels, heaven, and other holy creatures. It is also the language used when I cast. Each spellcasting phrase has a deep meaning for me.

"The Celestial language has a rival, Infernal (the language of Hell and demons), and for those creatures truly committed to chaos, there is the Abyssal language (spoken in the Abyss, yet another plane of existence). Celestial, however, is not a secret language like Thieves' Cant or Druidic - anyone can learn it (and probably should). Like Clerics who gain these as bonus languages, I know all three.

Otiorin finished his milk as Wolf began eating again and spoke up, " It sound like you have a lot of... restrictions... being a Ko monk. Just how exacting are the requirements and what should happen if you breach any of them? Is it like when you struck an enemy? Do you lose your supernatural abilities for a time or... permanently?"

There was a look of concern on his face, but he gave no clue as to what he might be thinking.

Bria thinks deeply for a moment, then nods. "'Restrictions' is a good word; I would use the word, 'safeguards.' The less our enemies know about us, the better. Our enemies are the type to use such knowledge to fullest advantage. But breaking a safeguard is like telling an important secret; I don't lose my healer abilities, I instead endanger people I love.

"When I lost my healing abilities... that only happened when I struck the Vampire Lord and that lasted..." Bria sighs and reflects, "...for about a full day. During that time, I was just a monk with a staff (and a very sad one at that; ask Bren; he was there).'

The more Bria speaks about this incident, the less she seems to like it. But being a Ko monk, she does not let that emotional inconvenience stop her. Under her words there can be heard formidable resolve, and it pushes her not to hide from her fears or bad memories, but to face them head-on, triumph over them, and most of all, learn from them.

Such is the Ko path to Enlightenment.

"The Holy Spirit said to me, 'The only time you lose at something is when you don't learn from that experience."

(Quote credit: Chuck Norris)

Bren hides a smile behind his glass during Bria's social missteps. He knows well the feeling of tripping over oneself while trying not to reveal secrets, being no better (and possibly worse) at it than Bria. Not that he's untrustworthy - he'll keep secure any secrets he's given, but under questioning (especially by someone he trusts or respects), he finds it next to impossible to hide the fact that he's got a secret.

He nods at Bria's first and third goals. "Aye, we need to report Loviatar's activity as soon as we can, especially to the Mielikkians."

Luna looks at the monk with sympathy. "I will promise to never ask you to ever break your oath in that way, and I will do all I can to help you follow your heart."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back