• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter One: Binary Nexus

Toph keeps calm as the various pilots, both air and ground, give the General a piece of their mind.  Finally, she speaks up.  "Sir, for what it's worth, you are absolutely right that I allowed my own ego to get in the way of performing my duties.  But, consider that when confronted by the harsh words of Lt. Shan, both me and the corporal here did not lower ourselves to his level of hate and intolerance.  Instead, we took the high ground, and didn't let the smarmy little pipsqueak get a reaction like he wanted, and instead we kept our heads clear and our dignity intact.  Isn't using your head instead of making knee-jerk reactions with our heart one of the signs of a good pilot, that won't lose control of themselves in the heat of battle?  And speaking of battle, I think it is a great and noble thing that Lt. Mackenzie and Corporal Zuko did, no matter how many tanks were lost.  And how can you hold Lt. Hall responsible for someone else's mistake?  She could have just punched out of her mecha and let you lose the whole thing, instead of saving what she could.  In a life and death situation, she thought clearly and used her head and didn't panic.  If all of these things mark us as 'unworthy' to be stationed here, please enlighten us as to what does.  Who would you rather have at your side when things go south?  Us, or people like Lt. Shen?"

(Mood music. Fitting mood music.)

"Lucifer" by The Alan Parsons Project (instrumental). Why? Because I find it damned fitting if only for General Steel's presence.

Hearing each of you speak, your fellow recruits with their faces in the tarmac either turned away from you or cringed at your words. "You talked back to him? Oh God! We warned you dumbasses!" One seemed to express silently as the Slayer above him pressed him to greater exertions by means of a mega-damage boot in his back.

General Steel, his chin held high, his hands behind his back, patiently listened to each of you, though he made no eye contact. It was as if the act were beneath him. Instead, his shadowy eyes lingered on the base all around him. He did not look at you, but past you. He let his ears do the listening while not bothering to acknowledge, much less return, Herc's honestly-given salute.

"Well, yesterday we found somethin' that didn't work, and unfortunately we didn't find out how to fix it in time."

"And here, Lieutenant, we see the difference between your story and the Research and Development division who has served Eglin base since long before I arrived here. And served well. Perhaps yours is a matter for the courts to settle for I have not the time nor the inclination."

"Sir, if you really have to ask why we are worthy to be here, you obviously didn't pay that much attention to the activities of Lt. Mackenzie and myself yesterday."

"A recruit who only attained his first kills yesterday might be surprised what a man in my position paid attention to, corporal. There is a vast difference between what the boy sees and what the man comprehends, hmm?"

"If that is enough to make me 'unworthy' to be assigned to the same base as you, sir, then ship me out and let me do my job somewhere else."

"This can be accomplished."

"If what they say is true, then they've served in the best traditions of the RDF and the ASC, putting their lives on the line for the good of others."

"Corporal, the traditions of the RDF and ASC are not decided by the likes of you, but by the likes of me. As it should be."

"Instead, we took the high ground, and didn't let the smarmy little pipsqueak get a reaction like he wanted, and instead we kept our heads clear and our dignity intact."

"Lieutenant, have you considered that your being here might be what Lt. Shan desired? How have you not played precisely into his hands when you stand before me here instead of the assembly where you think you belong? Are you not fooled?"

General Steel turned toward Shirley appearing bored. "Have your say, lieutenant. My having to endure this is not the only responsibility on my itinerary today." He raised his hand as if granting permission for her to speak.

Shirley appeared all too ready. "First off, I echo everything said here by my fellow recruits! Secondly, ground me if you like, but why in the hell would you punish Rothschild too? Yes, he's a minor. Yes, he's the kid I had in my trainer. Yes, I entered combat with him in the RIO's chair behind me, but I risked two lives, his and mine, to help save fifty! And I made the right call! It worked!"

She looked at General Steel incredulously. "Ground me if you don't like my tactics, but for God's sake, leave the kid out of this! These are his dreams you're stepping on!"

General Steel looked down at her. "Are you questioning my judgment?"

Shirley fired back immediately. "YOU'RE DAMNED RIGHT I AM!"

There was a moment of quiet that fell as they gazed upon each other, neither willing to concede. Then Shirley continued. "I know you can end my career at the drop of a hat! You can hurt me! You can even make me disappear - but that won't change the fact that you're wrong!"

"Am I? Provide proof."

This sent Shirley off of the deep end. "What?! 'Prove it'?! Where do you want me to begin? How about putting greenhorns into tanks that can't stand up to live combat? A LOGAN could have taken more damage to the main body than the VHT Mario here got saddled in! I watched it blow! Maybe you oughtta General your ass up some better tanks, sir! Ever think of that?"

This got the attention of a pair of Slayers. Menacingly, they approached General Steel but he sensed them and raised his hand toward them. They stopped. Shirley did not.

"Oh, you lost a single tank! Would you rather have kept it on the gravestones of fifty dead human beings?! You seem to prize Eglin base so much, well, what's a base without people, sir? Nothing! Isn't valuing people over property what sets us apart from those horrible monsters, the Zentraedi?" Then Shirley's eyes grew large as she remembered Toph was present. She added an embarrassed, "Uhm, no offense, of course..." to her fellow T.A.S.C. pilot.

Shirley held out her hands to General Steel. "Of course, I'm questioning your judgment! You haven't done a single thing yet that's made any sense!" She chose her next words carefully. For once. "You know, I just can't help but feel that you've already chosen the ones you want for this special little team of yours and that maybe you're using this assembly as a smokescreen in case anyone questions you. Like that's going to happen; everyone knows your reputation, sir. But right now... I find myself asking myself if I can serve a general, even as one as decorated as you, now that you've made it clear that you care more about your precious equipment than the people who bring those machines alive! Machines aren't going to save us from the interplanetary threat! Only people can do that!"

General Steel appeared unmoved. "And are you able to serve me?"

"I... don't know! I don't think I can! Humanity comes first, that's all I know! And, with God as my witness, I don't know if I can... serve someone... so... inhuman!!"

General Steel let his gaze descend to each of you. That gaze was unsettling for it was deep, intrusive, and unwelcome. That same gaze had shattered lesser men and women and he knew it. "And this is how each of you feels?"

A solemn silence descended upon the runway as General Steel loomed and watched you. Coldly.

Then, as suddenly as can be, the general relaxed a touch. He let out a long sigh through closed eyes. "At last," he said slowly. "Soldiers who understand."

The recruits perspiring on the tarmac paused in their bodily torture to look up in surprise. Shirley was rooted to the spot.

General Steel took one step forward toward all of you. Somehow, his bearing had changed though it had lost none of its edge. He spoke meaningfully. "I have no use for soldiers who cannot think for themselves. Unlike these," he indicated the other recruits, "you have displayed the character and integrity required. The charges laid against you are false and never happened. You are not grounded. You are not punished. There will be no trials for there are no charges."

He touched his medals. "In my time, I have learned that any soldier can put on the proud face for a few months if they believe their career might shine for it. But the same is not true in the face of total failure. Only in the face of utter failure does a soldier's true character emerge."

"This was the real challenge set for you all along."

He turned and stared to the female Slayer sitting at the computer bench though his words were meant for each of you. "My Slayer will drive you back to Colonel Sharp. Tell the esteemed colonel the words: Kobayashi Maru. Then you will proceed with the final part of the challenge."

General Steel looked especially to Herc and Toph. "You will drive in silence. For my Slayer has instructions to turn the car around at the first spoken word from any of you. Do not speak again until you have met with Colonel Sharp or every one of you will forfeit all."

GM note for Psychie.
Toph, being raised around the Japanese language without knowing the language understands that Kobayashi Maru is the name of something. But what?

Now General Steel raised his hand in briefest of salutes to Herc.

"Not... one... word..."

"Dismissed."

(GM Note to all)
If you want to screw your character and everyone else's, just speak up. Steel is not kidding. Then again, when has he ever kid? Wait. Don't answer that. =)

Brigadier General Steel's gaze returned to looking beyond you. Behind you, coming down the Eglin runway, were the rest of the recruits from the assembly, staggering along carrying expressions of shock and gloom. They had washed out too. Corporal York and Lieutenant Himmelwasser were in the lead followed by every last one of them. York endured his bruised chin and swollen eye in a dazed and almost drunken stumble. Himmelwasser kept a handkerchief up his nose to staunch the flow of blood from it. He cradled his left arm. Both of their uniforms were scuffed up with horrible tarmac marks and rumpled from activity both recent and violent. Every recruit behind them wore marks of the same.

General Steel took one good look at the faces of this last wave of recruits. "Pack up and move out," he told his Slayers. "This assembly is over. For there are no others worthy to continue the challenge." Then the general took his leave.

The female Slayer pulled up to your bunch in a pristine black M-990 Staff Hovercar with one bright star on its flags and indicators - a General's star. She opened the doors for you. Shirley stumbled inside the incredibly comfortable and delightfully air-conditioned vehicle like a woman in a dream. Her eyes remained on Steel the entire time, uncertain, confused, and utterly entranced.

She kept her mouth shut along the ride back. As such, she also kept her thoughts to herself.

GM Note for all:
What are each of your characters thinking along the ride back? Does anyone speak? Please write your next post with that in mind. Oh, and as always, feel free to contribute your own thoughts in Fat Gandalf's! I'd like to read them. =)

Last edited:
Mario doesn't say a word, but he does snap off a salute to the general before getting into the car. Once everyone is loaded in and underway, he starts to relax, and a smile comes to his face. While keeping silent, he nudges the person sitting next to him and gives a fist bump.  Hot damn! This day just keeps getting stranger and stranger.  Now, as they drive back, he slips another painkiller out of his pocket and swallows it with a sigh of relief.  Damn ankle. If it doesn't get any better by tomorrow, I'll check into sick call. I can't afford to be at any less than a hundred percent.  He watches as the empty runway passess by on their way back to the colonel. I don't know if Steele is a devious devil or just an asshole. Where does he get off, toying with us like that? What the hell? 

Once they get back to the hangar, Mario gently climbs out, trying to baby his ankle. With another crisp salute to the colonel, he says, "Sir, the general sent us back with the message Kobayashi Maru." He can't help but offer up a grin.

Toph is also keeping quiet as she sits in the staff car on the way back to the hangar.  All of that drama, just to test us?  Well, shit!  I think I need that cheesecake binge now more than ever to soothe my frazzled nerves!  I had halfway expected to be bounced off the post from the way General Steele was acting.  That man has ice in his veins to be able to pull that ruse off so well.  So, whatever it is that we are now a part of, it is what?  The five of us?  I wonder just what we have gotten ourselves into here.  At the end of the trip, she jumps out of the car, feeling a new spring in her step from the excitement of the moment.  Toph falls in next to Mario in the position of attention and joins her salute with the corporal.  "Yes, sir!  Corporal Zuko is correct.  Kobayashi Maru."  Hopefully that really means that we are 'in' the special project, and that it is not some kind of code to have us transferred out in disgrace!

Hercules sat immobile and silent in the staff car. Outwardly, he was distant and solitary, even though his size seemed to suck all the luxurious space of the staff car away, but inside he was a seething morass of emotion. The General had toyed with them, raised their hopes, then dashed them, then played with the broken bits some more, then stuck all the bits back together, tossed them into the back of the staff car and sent them back to Colonel Sharp. Hercules was angry. He was angry that they had been played like that, angry that the hard, dangerous tasks of his fellow A.T.A.C corporal and the three T.A.S.C. lieutenants had been maligned and publically degraded. But at the same time, he was relieved. Relieved it was just a test, a trial by fire to see their resolve. But he was also anxious. Anxious that this might be the course of the rest of their career. Would the General continue to pull stunts like this? Would they get hauled out of bed at 0-fucking early-00 by the SpecOps and dragged onto the Old Man's rug for another test of resolve? But he was also happy. Happy that the whole thing was over. The General seemed pleased and their future was rosy. But still he was unsure. He wished, not for the first time, that Tahel were here. She had a mystical way of unfucking his head when it got all crumpled up in thoughts and emotions. In a way she was his own personal parea, both a social companion and non-judgemental, confidential sounding board for his thoughts and fears.

The staff car came to a halt and Hercules un-concertina-ed himself out the door. He walked stiffly, formally, almost like one unsure of the safety of the ground upon which he trod, to stand before Colonel Sharp.

"Kobayashi Maru, sir.", he said simply, from beneath another salute.

Elinor could only stare the general in the eye as the inquisition continued.  She would've replied, but he kept turning to the next person and growling at them instead.  At that final question, though, she just nodded firmly.  Words would've been redundant at that point, but she agreed with everything MacKenzie had said, not to mention the other three.  The general's sudden change of mood caught her off guard.  Huh?  We aren't out after all?  Her heart soared as she realized that what he was saying meant she wasn't grounded, either!  It seemed like a screwy way to sort things out, not to mention leaving your subordinates wondering what life was going to be like working for you.  This subordinate wonders, at any rate.  Confusing as the situation was, though, it seemed she'd -- they'd -- done the right thing somehow.  Now to keep it up!

She looked curiously at the incoming recruits.  She wondered what had happened, but no way in hell was she going to screw up now by asking.  She could always track them down later and ask, assuming the story didn't make the rounds of the rumor mill before then.  She saluted the general, then silently got into the car with the others.  She couldn't help but grin at Zuko's fist bump, nor did she leave him hanging.  Words were forbidden, but General Steel hadn't said anything about this!  She wondered what he needed the pills for.  Had he gotten hurt saving the kids yesterday?

The runway seemed shorter when a girl was riding in a staff car instead of walking.  Following the others out of the car and up to Colonel Sharp, taking her place in the shortened line and saluting before continuing the group's refrain.  "Kobayashi Maru, sir."

Now for the next part, she thought.  What kind of challenge comes after a thing like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
(Instrumental mood music. =) )
"Uncharted Worlds" by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick from the Mass Effect (One) Soundtrack.

While keeping silent, he nudges the person sitting next to him and gives a fist bump.

She couldn't help but grin at Zuko's fist bump, nor did she leave him hanging.

It was only a fist bump, a heartfelt sharing between would-be teammates in a moment of earned celebration. What could be more harmless?

And yet... in the moment of that simple contact, that slightest of touches... there was shared a communication - wordless yet worded, silent yet quite loud, simple yet profound - and all completely internal inside the confines of Mario and Elinor's minds; each mind a personal, unique sanctuary that until yesterday, they thought only they alone could descend into and return from.

They were wrong.

"I don't know if Steele is a devious devil or just an asshole. Where does he get off, toying with us like that? What the hell?"

As with the AMVP, Elinor saw these words in her mind more clearly than as if they had appeared on some gigantic movie screen.

She wondered what he needed the pills for. Had he gotten hurt saving the kids yesterday?

As it was with Mario's first Veritech Hover Tank, this path of thinking lay before Mario as if he had thought it himself. Only he didn't...

Mario and Elinor cease to touch. The images in their minds fade. No one else in the staff car seemed to have noticed this brief yet powerful exchange, though most of them were within arm's reach of both of you. A moment later, the staff car comes to a halt and you exit the vehicle back at the assembly. The very, very devoid-of-recruits-besides-yourselves assembly. All else remains as it was.

(GM Note for Sherwood and Kaerri)
If you like, you can both post reactions here before we move on to the part where your unusual group reports to Colonel Sharp. If not, let me know in Fat Gandalf's if you please. =)

Last edited:
Earlier, Still in the Car

Mario almost breaks his silence, but at the last moment, remembers the Iron Clad Order by Steele to Remain Silent.  But that doesn't stop him from giving a long look at Lt. Hall.  That is the same thing that happened to me with the VHT, just before it blew!  I wonder if she felt the same thing from me?  What does this mean?  I have to remember to talk to the LT about this ASAP, and hope that she doesn't think that I'm just a whakadoodle. 

Also earlier, also still in the car

Elinor returns Mario's look with a wide-eyed stare of her own.  Her lips twitch in the manner of one biting her tongue, as she too remembers General Steel's repeated and emphatic final order to them.  What the hell was that?  I thought I'd imagined hearing the AMVP, but that professor didn't seem to think so, and now this!  I've gotta talk to him later, if I can manage it.  And Zuko too, which oughta be easier to do if we can just make it together here.

Having exited General Steel's hover car, all of you watched as the driver turned the vehicle about and drove back the way she came. In watching it go, you notice another such hover car coming from the end of the runway cruising your direction at an easy pace. However, the assembly is so noticeably empty and different-looking that the approaching hover car soon takes a back seat to the scene now before you.

As you walk between the AJAX helicopter and the Veritech Hover Tank in tank mode, you spot Colonel Sharp, Hitomi, Professor Stein, and Reggie standing by or leaning against the ASC mech in various forms of resignation. They all wore glum faces and apparently were not aware of your arrival. Farther away, the Ghost Riders sat in a cluster still guarding the tent covering the Valkyrie. They appeared to be keeping watch and playing cards. They paused as they saw you approach the colonel.

Hitomi put her hand to her cheek. "I can't believe it. All those recruits and we didn't score once."

Stein and Sharp groaned in unison.

"What are we going to do?" Reggie asked.

"I haven't the foggiest idea." Stein peered suspiciously at Sharp. "Wait.... Hiram, you're not saying much, but you know something, don't you?"

Sharp smiled. "Yep!"

"And you want to come out and say it?"

"Yep."

A long moment of quiet then passed.

"But you're sworn to secrecy..."

Sharp's voice drops an octave as his chin falls a little. "Yep..."

The whole group sighed together. Their sigh did not last long as they took note of your approach with various expressions of surprise. This was immediately followed by various smiles as one by one, Colonel Sharp heard the words, "Kobayashi Maru," from all five of you.

"No kidding!" he replied, looking quite relieved. "And here we thought you were out like yesterday's news..."

Shirley, still looking as if Hercules's jacket were some sort of new style of military trench coat, adjusted it and spoke up. "Yeah, looks like General Steel was just... playing games with us or something, trying to figure out if we had the right attitude or something. I just don't get him and I still don't think I like him."

Colonel Sharp cleaned his glasses. "You and half of Eglin, lieutenant. Eh? What's this?"

At that moment, the other hover car, also bearing the star of a brigadier general, pulled up before all of you. It levitated in place, an armored luxury sedan among battle mecha. Out of the driver's seat burst Lieutenant Shan, still clad in his impeccable uniform and stepping around the car with a soldierly walk and a dour frown. He planted one hand on his hip with a face twisted with disdain as he laid his eyes once again upon Toph and Herc.

"Oh, God! You two again!" he shouted. "I just came back here to tell you how much I still hate you! Let me tell you all over again how utterly disgusting and revolting you and your whole cultures are!" He pointed viciously. "That's right! You suck, and you suck, and..." he pointed at Shirley and Mario and Elinor, "...you and you and yes! You too! YOU ALL SUCK! Do you hear me?"

Behind him, Corporal York and Lieutenant Himmelwasser emerged from the car. They appeared dirty, battered, and altogether pleased. They grinned at each other while they watched Shan go on and on. Stein gave Hitomi quick look of uncertainty. Hitomi nodded confidently back to him while Reggie and Shirley watched, astonished. Only Colonel Sharp kept a straight face.

"Everybody sucks! O.K.? I just..." Lt. Shan looked behind him at the car, "...we just came back here to tell you all that! O.K.? Except my buddies are letting me do all the talking! Come on, you guys! Back me up here!" York and Himmelwasser put their hands over their faces and outright chuckled, motioning for Shan to carry on without them.

Shan appeared taken aback. "Hey! Are you guys my teammates or not? Come on! The big guy's gonna kick my ass here! You're just going to laugh at me?"

"Yeah we are!" They nodded enthusiastically. York spoke in his thick Southern accent. "Ha ha! Goddamn, X'iaoyu, I swear one'a these days, that mouth'a yers is gonna land you straight in the hospital!"

"So true," the tall German in the T.A.S.C. uniform said. "We are already beated up, ja? It seems you are on your own! Ho ho!"

Lieutenant Shan looked around in a panic as if he were about to flee for his life. "Oh no! I guess the gig is up!"

Colonel Sharp broke out into a grin. "Oh, just tell them already, you jokers."

Himmelwasser and York joined Shan. They approached your group as one, this time with leisure in their steps and grins on their faces. York pulled something out of his pocket, a black leather wallet. He presented it. There inside was a high-security United Earth Government ID with a shining, silvery badge alongside it. The badge and I.D. clearly displayed five words:

"Field Officer. Global Military Police."

The name on the badge was not York. Nor were Himmelwasser's or Shan's as they showed their badges.

"We are G.M.P., courtesy of your General Steel," said "Himmelwasser" in his deep German accent.

"Shan" stepped forward with an apologetic grin. "Very recently, General Steel asked for our help. His idea was to plant us within your group to act as recruits and get each of you to make the walk down the runway. We spent whole nights figuring out how to get each of you to wash out, writing these lines, rehearsing our roles, sparring for the big fake fight, everything. All to make the general's desire a reality."

Once again, "Shan" bowed to Colonel Sharp and reenacted his lines. "'Forgive me, sir, but what you ask of me...'" he glared with what appeared to be true hate at Toph and Herc, "'...is too much.'" He straightened and smiled widely. "Ohhh, I must have practiced that in the mirror for an hour!"

"All in the line of duty," nodded "York."

The three of them then fell into expressions of sincere apology. "Himmelwasser" explained. "We have to return now to headquarters, for we are a temporary favor called in by your General Steel. But before we go, we wanted to tell you the truth ourselves, instead of simply driving away. We hope you do not hate us. We are happy that you five are found worthy of your challenge and we wish you the very best in your secret project. You have something that many others do not, and whatever it is, many people of Earth will surely benefit from your decisions and actions in future days."

As one, the trio of Global Military Police officers snapped their sincere salutes to each of you.

"Good luck!" they shouted together.

Last edited:
With the appearance of the obnoxious lieutenant, Toph frowns.  This ass? What does he want now? When the truth is revealed that he was just a plant, set in with the group to try and get her to wash out, she gives a wry smile. "Well sir, once more I find myself saying, 'I forgive you'. I'm just glad that you are not the bigot you were acting to be, and I'm glad that I didn't say anything worse to you." She gives him a wicked smile. "Just remember this if you ever cross my path at the hospital and need a check up. I  promise not to assign a bunch of invasive and unneeded medical procedures - too much, at least! Now get going before I change my mind." 

In a much quieter voice, she mutters to Mario. "Corporal, come and see me when you have a chance and I'll the a look at that ankle. I'll make sure you are fixed up. Best not to leave it untreated."

I'm assuming that Mario's limp is visible to me from my Perception roll and medical skills. If not, I'll remove my last part of the post.

Hercules watched the approach of the hover car with caution, and his expression turned to one of cold rage as Lt. Shan climbed out and continued his tirade. His shoulders tensed again and his hands turned from fine manual dexterity appendages into two weapons of mass destruction by the simple act of curling his fingers into fists. But then the truth came out and...

Everything changed.

Hercules' face lost it's stormy, potentially violent expression and his twin thermonuclear fists turned back into hands that settled on his hips. He threw his head back and gave vent to an echoing laugh that resembled the sonic boom of a Valkyrie breaking the sound barrier at one hundred feet over the ground.

"You had me there, sir.", he spoke after his laugh, "For a moment I thought that you were going to be more trouble for me."

Then he swept forward, with all the deceptive speed of a striking cobra and wrapped his arms around the saluting GMP officer. With a heave, he lifted 'Shan' off his feet and gave him and cheerful bear hug, exposing him for a moment to the immense power to be found in his arms, shoulders and chest muscles. Then, just as quick, he planted 'Shan' back on his feet, stepped back and returned the salute. Though this salute had a warm smile underneath it.

Like the others, Elinor was apprehensive about Shan's return, particularly when it looked like he was just back to start more trouble... but then he and his team explained.  She shook her head and smiled.  "You jerks.  You ever want a second career on the stage, I'll be happy to write a recommendation!  Thanks for letting us know, though.  Much appreciated."  While the big Greek corporal was... dealing with "Shan," Elinor looked at the other two.  "What happened to you guys, anyway?  Some kinda mass melee break out?"  Whatever their answer, she accepted it with a nod and returned their salutes.

"Well sir, once more I find myself saying, 'I forgive you'. I'm just glad that you are not the bigot you were acting to be, and I'm glad that I didn't say anything worse to you." She gives him a wicked smile. "Just remember this if you ever cross my path at the hospital and need a check up. I promise not to assign a bunch of invasive and unneeded medical procedures - too much, at least! Now get going before I change my mind."

"Oh," said "Shan," "I don't see myself in the Eglin hospital anytime soon, so you needn't worry."*

(*GM Note- an internal thought shared with you.)
GM to "Shan": That's what you think, buddy! You don't have access to Capn's post in OOC like I do! Ha! =)

"Oh, I've been meaning to ask, lieutenant," he added. "Is that... is that pink hair of yours real? I mean, you really didn't dye it or anything?" And as he was distracted...

Hitomi, having been discreetly watching from nearby, read the situation perfectly. She murmured to Reggie, "Here it comes..."

Then he swept forward, with all the deceptive speed of a striking cobra and wrapped his arms around the saluting GMP officer. With a heave, he lifted 'Shan' off his feet and gave him and cheerful bear hug, exposing him for a moment to the immense power to be found in his arms, shoulders and chest muscles. Then, just as quick, he planted 'Shan' back on his feet, stepped back and returned the salute. Though this salute had a warm smile underneath it.

"GAAAAK!" "Shan" screamed weakly as Hercules gave him a bear hug with heavy emphasis on the bear.

Something happens to a man when he is in the grip of a much more powerful being or thing. Normal and weak-willed seem to tend to shrivel and squish, not so much because they lack the strength to escape the grip, but moreso because they lack the will to give it their all and therefore cave in.

This is especially true when such men are caught by surprise. Only very strong-willed people forego this fear and sense of inadequacy and really fight such an overwhelming force with their all. While "Shan" is by no means a coward and is heroic to the people of Earth in his own clandestine way, he realized quickly which of the described categories he found himself caught inside Hercules's mech-like grip.

Like Hitomi, "Himmelwasser" and "York" saw this moment coming from far away and said nothing to prevent it. "Ho ho! Looks like his mouth is getting him into the hospital today! We are going to miss our flight now, ja?"

"Yessirree," "York" replied with a wide smile. "I told'ya, X'iaoyu! We should'a come here with a few boxes of hot pizza fer these guys! But nooo, you insisted we hadda do it yer way! Now lookit ya - a mouse in a bear-trap!"

Elinor looked at the other two. "What happened to you guys, anyway? Some kinda mass melee break out?"

"York" nodded. "That, little lady, is exactly what happened." He suddenly turned upon "Himmelwasser with a hateful snarl and one rolled up sleeve. "You damned liar! Just who d'you think you are? A.T.A.C. will beat the pants offa you lousy T.A.S.C. wussies anyday!"

"Himmelwasser" snarled back and set into a combat stance. "Is that so? The only tanks you awful A.T.A.C. cowards should find yourselves in are septic tanks!"

"T.A.S.C. are all Zentraedi-kissin' pussies!"

"A.T.A.C. has no honor! You fight like children!"

"What?! Take that back, you bastard!"

"York" pushed "Himmelwasser" who nearly fell against Elinor. "Himmelwasser" kicked "York" back who mock-staggered so badly he nearly bowled Toph over. Then they ran at each other as if about to entangle into a ferocious, ground-covering grapple, but instead, at the last moment, they collapsed into a heap of laughter and hugs.

"Ho ho! We riled up the rest of the recruits so badly, they fought too! Such is the way of military pride!"

"Hot damn, that little scenario of ours was just as practiced as "Shan's" routine, an' nearly as effective!"

As the two field officers laughed, "Shan" squeaked in pain. "Halp!"

Colonel Sharp spoke up. He was shaking his head like a father watching his boys causing trouble. "Annnnd," he said to all of you, "that's how the rest of the recruits found themselves walking the runway. Sergeant Powers yelled them out so badly for unsoldierlike conduct and joining in the fight that they all just about died of embarrassment." "York" and "Himmelwasser's" prank cost them all and cleared the field. Never underestimate the GMP." Col. Sharp looked down the runway. "I was watching through my binoculars; it seemed like the general didn't even give them the time of day; he just left before they got there." He let out a sympathetic sigh.

Not far away, Shirley and Sergeant Powers were having a heartfelt one-on-one as father quietly told daughter how he felt for her winning this part of the challenge. Shirley beamed like the sun at his praise.

Col. Sharp continued. "All right, jokers. Take your wounded to the hospital and enjoy a few more days at Eglin on the house. I'll contact the appropriate people for your housing, etc."

"Thank you very much, colonel." "Himmelwasser" bowed politely and "York" with him. "Shan" couldn't.

As they took him to the car, all "Shan" could say was "Ow! Ow! Ow!"

"York" playfully prodded his injured ribs. "Oh, that don't hurt, now does it? Serves you right, X'iaoyu! You barked like a dog and ended up swallowed by a bear!" They laughed loudly. Even "Shan" though not as loudly. Only "York" was in any condition to drive the car, so he took the wheel. They waved and drove away. Not toward another part of the airfield, but in the direction of the Eglin medical center.

Hitomi watched them go. "Next time, I bet they'll bring the pizza!"

Shirley and Sergeant Powers returned to your group. Colonel Sharp took note of this and stood before the rest of you with a grin. "So... Lesson learned. Don't be like that guy." He pointed at the receding hover car. Then he motioned to Professor Stein, who with a grunt, also rose to his feet and made his way to stand beside the colonel.

"Back to business, people. Yes, you jumped one hurdle, but there is another. This one isn't so much a challenge as it is a scientific test. The good professor and doctor here," to which Professor Stein abruptly chuckled at being called this, "seem to have some kind of equipment that will find out something about each of you. It's that combination of the right skills, attitude, and... we'll call it, special proficiency that we're looking for. If this is passed, we can tell you more. If not, well, it can't be helped." He looked to Professor Stein.

"None of General Steel's games this time," he said with his own brand of presence equally as mighty as Col. Sharp's. "Either you pass or you fail. Hitomi and I have gathered up all the data we need to see this through, and we are hoping you are the right people for the job... well... we can't promise it. That... is up to you and your talents. Hitomi?"

The doctor patted Reggie's shoulder who watched all this in a very interested shroud of silence. She walked up beside the professor in a way that was easy to watch and nice to behold, a natural display of rare and womanly elegance that showed in her every step. Even Shirley watched though she did not seem to know why she should hold another woman's stride with such interest.

"Each of you seems to possess a certain state of empathy. We're here to test that empathy. We think you all have it, but there's only one way to be certain." She motioned toward the cloaked Valkyrie where the Ghost Riders stood guard. "Everyone? Let's go in and find out, shall we?"

Suddenly, the Ghost Riders heard this and jumped up in unison, sending their playing cards flying. "Do WHAT?!" "Uh, no, ma'am!" "No! Not in there!" "It'll ruin everything!" "Awww," Hairball frowned a rare frown, "cant'cha just *BURP!* do whatever out in the open?! *snort* It's jusht us guys out here! We won't tell nobody! *hiccup!* Right guys?" The entire squadron nodded vigorously.

Hitomi paused and looked back toward the Sharp and Stein, her confusion clear on her gorgeous face.

Professor Stein spoke. "I've been in there and there's nothing special. We can't spend all day out here! Come now." He stepped toward the tent.

The Ghost Riders rushed and surrounded Col. Sharp in a last-ditch effort. They literally fell to their knees and pleaded like dying men. Even Hairball. "Aw! C'mon!" "Please, sir!" "Ya gotta!" "Ya don't know what yer doin'!" "Pretty *slurp* puhleeeze!"

Stunned, Col. Sharp looked at the five men and then at Sergeant Powers. They shrugged to each other with puzzled looks unable to tell what in the world was going on. "Arthur?"

Professor Stein hesitated. Then he looked to Hitomi with one raised eyebrow. Hitomi gave a small smile and shrugged as if to say, "It's really no big deal if we do this out here."

Professor Stein nodded. "All right, have it your way." Immediately, the five Ghost Riders cheered and returned to their post with speedy feet, relieved looks, and buckets of spoken gratitude. Stein glanced at Shirley. "These are your people, right?"

"Uh, huh! I claim them!" Shirley nodded, slightly embarrassed and equally without a clue as to what they were up to. "Just what are you troublemakers up to?"

This produced a barrage of noncommittal and evasive responses, verbal chaff and flares if you will, until even Shirley gave up.

Hitomi cradled her black leather purse. All eyes fell upon her as she stepped toward your group. Voices grew quiet until the sound of her shoes stepping upon the runway seemed to be the only sound. She paused awaiting your approach.

"Ladies and gentlemen? Here we go... Each of you just put one hand inside my purse and follow my instructions to the letter. All five of you together now. You'll fit." She looked up at Herc and winked. "Barely. Just put a hand on the object inside and keep it there."

Last edited:
Toph smiles wide as the big Greek with the long mouthful of a name gives "Lt Shan" his bear hug. She could almost hear the sound of ribs creaking from where she was standing.  Note to self; call the hospital and have some fun with his tests!  Then the order comes up to put their hands in Hitomi's purse. She recalls with bad memories what happened the night before with the AUL and the mega damage bomb that was in there.  Hopefully this time it won't explode!  She then steps forward and slips her hand inside. 

In a straight face, Mario says, "I don't think I can; that purse clashes with my uniform." He grins at the looks he gets and steps forward next to Toph and puts his hand inside the purse, wondering if he was about to get another flash of that strange feeling he did when he touched Lt Hall's hand when his fingers briefly brush against the pink haired woman.

Toph face palms with her other hand when Mario speaks. "Oh Lord, give me the strength to survive this bunch. Corporal, you and Lt Mackenzie deserve each other. One of you needs a promotion or a demotion so you don't break fratenization rules."

Justice has been served. Hercules watched with mirth in his dark eyes as the three GMP infiltrators drove off to book into the medical facility. 

But then, the Colonel cut to the chase and placed them in the hands of.... Miss Hitomi. Hercules swallowed hard, and his care-free expression fell away to be replaced by one of deep trepidation. He watched as she sashayed her way past them, only to be assailled by the Ghost Riders. Then, at their insistence, and the approval of the Professor, she returned and offered up her purse. The request for the assembled officers and enlisted to reach in was confusing and Hercules also felt a mounting sense of embarrassment. 

Oh dear, this is certainly something Mama would have words with me about...

Elinor grinned at the Ghost Riders' antics, but her attention was focused on the colonel and the civilians.  Hitomi's request puzzled her as much as it did the others, however little it might show on her face.  She glanced at Mario, wondering if that weird thing in the car was about to happen again.  Or if it was about to happen with all five of them, given that empathy thing it seemed they were looking for.  And just what does that mean, anyway?  Then she shrugged and reached her hand into the purse.  As she did so, she looked up at Herc and smiled.  "C'mon, big guy, there's room for all."

Shirley approached last. Her face betrayed a tornado of emotions swirling beneath them as she pushed some of her dark curls out of her eyes. She looked at the purse and the inserted hands and hesitated.

"What's wrong?" Hitomi asked both Herc and Shirley.

Shirley sighed and replied, "It's General Steel. Or rather, my feelings about him. I'm still in shock. I'm still really up in the air about following him now that he's shown his true colors. I mean..." she sniffed, "...of course, I heard the rumors about his callous coldness and lack of care, his willingness to get the job done regardless of the cost. But after what we've just been through, I still don't know if I can follow a leader like that. On top of that, I'm feeling a bunch of other things and I'm wondering if it will have any effect on whatever it is we are doing here."

Hitomi shook her head. "Not a bit."

Professor Stein wheeled Reggie closer to the scene. "If he bothers you that much, Mackenzie, you can work for me." He gave her a serious look. "I'll let Hitomi vouch for my credentials and experience." Hitomi nodded to both without hesitation. Shirley glanced at her father and Col. Sharp. They both wore expressions that seemed to say, "It's your life. We'll respect you either way."

Reggie spoke up. "Hey Shirley! You can do whatever you want!"

This brought a smile out of the close air support specialist. "You're so very sweet, Rothschild."

"Reggie, miss." Shirley glanced to him. He swelled with pride. "My name is Reggie. Hercules helped me come to that conclusion." Reggie looked to Hercules with admiration in his gaze.

"Oh did he? Wait 'til your dad finds out."

"Yeah, right?!"

Shirley sighed again. Then she looked up to Herc, seeming lighter and less troubled than before. Without further hesitation, she placed her hand beside his.

"O.K., big fella. I'll do it if you will. What do you say?"

"No pressure," Stein said.

"Yeah, no pressure," Hitomi grinned. Then the Hawaiian-Japanese woman closed her eyes and cast her attention away from Herc and upon her purse. Fully aware of her effect on him (for he was far from the first man to act in this manner when in her presence), Hitomi became silent and still. Only her long black hair moved as the Florida breeze caressed it. It was as if she did not want to distract Hercules any further.

Many eyes turned toward Herc, eager for his response.

Last edited:
Hercules took a breath in, aware that all eyes were upon him. He looked from young Reggie smiling in his wheelchair, to the Professor, to Mario, to Shirley, to Toph, to Elinor, then finally to Miss Hitomi, who had averted her gaze. His insecurities fell away as he watched his fellow soldiers and officers offering their hands to the mystical depths of Miss Hitomi's purse and he thrust his own forward. 

"Thrýloi poté den paraleípoun*.", he intoned as his hand delved in to join his colleagues'.

*"Legends never fail." - Herc's old M.A.C. II squad motto. 

(GM Note to All)
This scene is pretty deep, folks. Hope you're in a place and situation where you can listen as well as read. Enjoy. =)

Shirley could not help but give Herc a big grin as he moved his hand inside. True to her word, her hand joined his and the others inside the large black leather purse. There was indeed a weight inside the purse, one that Hitomi could heft easily in one hand as she held it from underneath making way for all of you to reach inside together.

Hitomi closed the bag in such a way so that none could peer inside it. Your hands touched, almost tickling each other in their unfamiliarity and there, underneath all of your fingers, was something cool and metallic, smooth and sleek.

Hitomi kept her eyes closed. Her voice was guiding and sure. "You feel something in there besides each other, right?" The answer to this was "yes." "Good. Now focus on it. Let all outside influences fall away. Just follow my voice. Focus. Learn about it. Not with your fingers, but with your mind." She took a deep breath. "Just reach out."

Several moments passed. Each of your eyes closed as your other senses became more alive, naturally taking over with the absence of light and sight. One by one, your fingers ceased their movements and rested. Little by little, you reached out with something more than your sense of touch...

Yet nothing unusual happened...

"Let me guess," Hitomi whispered. "You don't feel anything unusual, do you? Your minds are open, empty, but that is all, right?" Upon searching yourselves, you realized this was true. Nothing truly unusual was taking place.

"The Prof' and I put our heads together. Each of you have experienced something inside of your mind that was not you. You received information you did not put there, but you received it nonetheless. Except then... you were experiencing stress. Elevated heart rate. Increased blood pressure. The flow of adrenaline as your body reacted to your fight or flight instinct. Open your eyes now."

As this happened, you saw your hands, or rather your arms up to your wrists inside the bag. One of Hitomi's hands was supporting this bag. But above it, and in clear sight of all of you, was her other hand. In it, a mega-damage grenade, her thumb in the pin, her finger on the spoon.

*CLICK!*

Out went the pin.

*Ting ting ting...* sounded the pin as it fell and rang upon the runway at your feet. Such a tiny pin. Such a loud sound in your ears.

Each of you then realized - only Hitomi's finger clenching the spoon of the grenade separated all of you from a blast that would vaporize every last one of you into an oblivion from which there was no return.

There were sudden gasps. Widened eyes. Flinching muscles, racing blood, and heightened awareness as no one dared move except the woman who now held all of your lives literally in the palm of her supple hand.

"Now you feel something different. Your senses are more aware. Your mind is more than open - now it's as open as it can be." She paused again. "Now forget about the grenade. Close your eyes again. Trust in me. Focus again on what lies inside the bag. What do you sense in there? And this time?" She quoted Bruce Lee, "'Don't think...

...feel."

She stretched that single word out until it was hypnotic. Your eyes closed again. Your feelings joined the search. It was as if your mind were traveling down your arm into your fingers and into the thing they touched. This you all did together.

Hitomi's words were now barely more than a whisper. "Reach back. Reach back to the moment when you saw something in your mind that you did not put there. What did it say? How did you react?"

Hitomi's words seemed to drift farther and farther away though she was standing close to each of you. Instead of thinking, you began to feel. All of the emotions that had touched you recently came alive once again. The events of the day rolled upon you like an ocean wave. Your preparation for the assembly. Your hopes and dreams. Memories of all the times you and your family sacrificed just to help you make it to this point.

Your making it here. On time. Feeling ready for anything. Ready, yet not ready for what happened. Failure in spite of all of your accomplishments. The terrible outrage of General Steel's unfairness. The false charges brought against you and the harsh punishments that came with them. Your interviewer telling you those sorry words, "Take a walk."

Your having to take that walk. That walk away from special opportunity, from the chance at success, until you reached the end of the runway and met the man himself. His scolding, heartless words that gave you no chance at defense or escape. Then the opportunity when he told you to speak freely. The words you chose. The stance you took. The feelings that you felt in that moment when you found out that all of this was a sham. A facade. In some ways, a cruel joke like a knife in your heart.

And yet, beyond that, there was sudden success, unexpected and absolute. The silent return back to success where once failure ruled. Back to the people who interviewed you. You, the only ones among all that tried, stood here together. All that happened afterward. And finally...

...now.

All of these feelings came together like a wild dream of a little boy or girl wrapped tightly in the covers of nighttime imagination. All of the things you wondered before and now. What did the future hold? What was out there? Would you make it together now or not at all?

Somewhere, deep in this wide valley of emotion, you felt something beyond your fingertips. Felt something... beyond the reach of your imagination. For there was something now in your mind that was not you and never was. It was unobtrusive, new, kind of friendly, just as curious, and altogether full of wonder and free to chase that wonder to wherever it took you.

And then you knew - you were feeling each other's very emotions. Your wonders shared, your fears gathered, your hopes collected. Thoughts, both yours and others, raced along, and here you were unable to stop them, nor was there really reason to try, for you realized you were with people who in some strange twist of fate were just like you, in the possession of a special something, both marvelous and fantastic that none of you understood, and yet it was there. As real as the stars far above your heads.

Immersed in these emotions, once again, you began to see words. Words that were not yours. Except this time, it was O.K. No threats to your lives to chase you, just a handful of misfits from the world over, here to save it together. Somehow. Some way.

Each of you felt the emotions of the others, new and fresh from the heart, and as you did, you began to know which emotions belonged to which person. Herc, Elinor, Toph, Mario, Shirley, and three harmless others watching as if from a vast distance away. Who they were was not important in this moment. Only this moment, connecting the five of you, seemed to matter.

In that connection, each of you felt Shirley's feelings rising and rising. The day's emotions that had comforted her, barraged her, strengthened and weakened her, coursed through you now as they did you. However, unlike the rest of you, Shirley was not thinking in words, but in song, as if it were in her true nature to do so.

Shirley wondered about how she knew Mario, from where they had met before this lifetime, how they had survived their encounter against the Malcontents together, and much more. It was as if her very being were as open to you as any well-lit book. For the first time, instead of just having the words appear in your minds, you felt them. Heard them. All because she sang them. To you. For you. You heard and felt her singing as certainly as if it were in your ears with her singing it aloud with her very own voice.

This is what she sang and how she sang it:
"Can You Read My Mind" by Maureen McGovern

Lyrics:
Can you read my mind?
Do you know what it is you do to me
Don't know who you are
Just a friend from another star

Here I am like a kid at a school
Holding hands with a god, I'm a fool
Will you look at me quivering
Like a little girl shivering

You can see right through me

Can you read my mind?
Can you picture the things I'm thinking of?
Wondering why you are
All the wonderful things you are

You can fly, you belong to the sky
You and I could belong to each other

If you need a friend,
I'm the one to fly to
If you need to be loved
Here I am, read my mind

Will you look at me quivering
Like a little girl shivering
You can see right through me

If you need a friend
I'm the one to fly to
If you need to be loved
Here I am, read my mind

Read my mind...

The song ended but the feelings did not. As it did, you slowly felt your eyes open. The grenade was gone. Hitomi was smiling. So was Professor Stein and Reggie. Colonel Sharp too, though through a veil of mild confusion. All knew that something peaceful and well beyond the normal had just taken place. Like waking a dream, you came back to yourselves. Your hands came out of Hitomi's purse. You felt enlightened yet also drained, this time emotionally.

Finally someone spoke. It was the professor. "That's it," he nodded. "You 'glowed.' All of you." He turned to Col. Sharp and spoke firmly as he ran a hand through his wind-blown beard. "Hiram, the assembly is a success. These are the people we have been looking for."

Last edited:
Mario can feel his eyes go wide when Shirley's voice appears inside his head.  This is just like how it happened with my tank, and later when I touched Lt Hall's hand. Wow.  He asks in an amazed voice, "So I didn't imagine it? I really heard the thoughts of the lieutenant and I'm not going crazy?" He pauses, and glances over at Shirley and is suddenly embarrassed.  Did she hear my thoughts of how beautiful I think she is? Oh crud! Did she hear that, too?  He quickly pulls his hand out of the purse, feeling even more embarrassed.  She is an officer, and you are just a lowly corporal. By the rules, nothing can happen between us. Just get over it.

Toph pulls her hand out of the purse slowly, and looks down at it in amazement before shifting her gaze upwards to look at Hitomi and Professor Stein.  "This happened to me last night, when Hitomi and I were . . . You need to tell us all just what the devil has happened here.  Is this some kind of psi power that we all seem to possess?  What does this mean, when you say we were 'glowing'?  I hardly know even where to start asking questions, but I do hope that you'll give us the answers we all seem to need."

Hercules shuddered as he experienced the shock of contact, not of physical contact, but mental contact. His mind seemed to bleed outward, becoming receptive to the feelings of his comrades. No, not just receptive, totally empathetic. He felt their emotions as if he were experiencing them himself, their joy, their apprehension, their anger, their worry. It rushed in and out like the blue waters of the Mediterranean and left him feeling full and empty at the same time.

And then, through it all, the song. It wasn't a song sung by a voice, it was a song sung by a heart and mind in the purest sense. The words were transmitted without flaw, without falter, but full of emotion and strength. They cocooned his mind and permeated his essential spirit so completely that he knew that they would travel with him even until his last breath and into his grave.

But then, it ended. Mario withdrew his hand, then Toph and Hercules followed suit. He stood, silently letting events run through his mind. He also could not suppress a blush as Mario's unfiltered thoughts about Shirley resonated in his mind.

"You really need to guard your thoughts in future, o fílos mou*.", was all he could manage to say.

*my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back