• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter One: Binary Nexus

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
bi·na·ry

ˈbīnərē,ˈbīˌnərē/
adjective
relating to, composed of, or involving two things.

nex·us

ˈneksəs/
noun
a connection or series of connections linking two or more things.

One possible meaning: A relationship of two kinds linking two or more things.

*​

(Spoiler contains Mood Music)
"The Right Stuff" Theme for The Right Stuff soundtrack by Bill Conti (instrumental). I place this here in part in salute to the late Mercury 7. Godspeed John Glenn and all of the Mercury 7.

Chapter One: Binary Nexus

Location, Time, and Weather
Former United States of America, Florida, Eglin Army of Southern Cross Base, edge of Runway 17R.
11:45 a.m.
Sunny, slightly warm, little cloud activity, very little chance of rain.

Colonel Hiram Sharp of the Army of Southern Cross looked up and sighed longingly. The sky was clear and blue with hardly a cloud in sight - perfect flying weather. He felt it was a good omen for such a day, unlike yesterday when the tornado had barreled through Eastern Alabama and parts of his own Florida, changing lives for the worse with its every turbulent spin. These days were busy and uncertain enough without tornadoes which made for interesting times.

"May you live in interesting times," he thought of the phrase as he adjusted his glasses. It was a Chinese saying but it was also used as a curse. The colonel, a tank commander and historian of many years, felt he needed "curse-breakers" of a sort to solve the problems facing Eglin base and perhaps all of Florida. He was hoping that today, fate would provide him just that.

The colonel stood with a shining Veritech Hover Tank in tank mode behind him as if there for a backdrop. Upon its menacing main gun were the red, white, and blue letters painstakingly painted along that long barrel reading, "Patton's Answer." Beside that sat a deep blue AJACS Veritech in helicopter mode with its wing pylons filled with electronics and hard-hitting missiles. The pristine bird gleamed in the daylight as if ready to fly at a moment's notice. Both vehicles showed their share of Zentraedi kill markers.

Off to the side of these two vehicles stood the largest vehicle of the three, completely draped with an enormous camouflage tent. All that polyester and nylon could not conceal a Valkyrie Veritech Fighter in Guardian mode, though the reasons for its concealment had not been spoken by the five ASC destroid pilots huddled protectively and anticipatingly at its feet.

These combat aviators did not seem like they were part of today's gathering, for the five of them wore their standard flight gear. One thing was clear - they were an established unit with obvious camaraderie. They seemed to be waiting for someone. They nodded appreciatively to the colonel whenever the chance came to meet his eye. Upon their uniforms, the motorcycle-riding, leather-clad creature on the patch of the Ghost Riders loomed. One of the five men was tall, tremendously fat, and would have stood out from the rest even if he was not, so strange were his mannerisms.

As Colonel Sharp stood looking every bit his name in his medal-bedecked battle dress uniform, he looked out past his own staff to the young military soldiers who stood before him. About twenty young soldiers, dressed in their best battle dress uniforms, stood either by themselves or in small clusters like teenagers in a high school gymnasium. He saw a variety of expressions in each of their faces, from the pink-haired young woman to the gigantically-muscled tanker who stood out like a MAC II among destroids.

To Colonel Sharp, they represented the future - Earth's future. Whether they succeeded here or not, he hoped they would live on to shape humanity's future in ways that he could only dream about. He hoped they would come together and make something new that had never before happened in the history of his beloved Army.

It was the reason they were here after all.

Not two weeks ago, each of them had received, delivered in person from a high-ranking Eglin major, a formal verbal invitation by none other than the commander of Eglin ASC base, Brigadier General George Steele. The top secret invitation explained that a special opportunity was now available to the invitee in recognition for exceptionally high standards, educational achievements, and recommendations. The invitation was explicit - interested parties were to arrive here in full battle dress uniform at this precise date and time. To even be tardy was grounds for exclusion. In other words, no excuses. Either show up at or before 12:00 p.m. noon or do not bother showing up.

But the message was clear enough; this was the kind of opportunity that most hard-working ASC recruits dreamed of. Back in the 20th century, tenacious, clean-nosed pilots like those of the SR-71 Blackbird received invitations like this. If they did not show, they had no idea what they were missing out on. But if they did show and if they did qualify, it could well be a career-changing, life-changing event. The average received no such distinctions.

In the crowd of recruits, Toph Kirin and Elinor Hall stood together. On their way here, they had both seen the Eglin ASC Fire Department pulling onto the grounds of the T.A.S.C. officers quarters where they lived. When they looked back at the building, black smoke could be seen rising ominously. A few young women were outside their dorms in a total panic. Despite the scene, neither T.A.S.C. pilot could consider going back to their quarters lest they be tardy and disqualified. It was likely a great comfort to know that the Eglin ASC Fire Department was considered the best military fire department in all of Florida.

Recruit Mario Zuko stood alone in the crowd for the moment. While there were T.A.S.C. pilots assembled here, he did not see Shirley Mackenzie among them. He did however know the colonel. And the colonel knew him. How was a mystery but still their first meeting was undeniable. It was likely an odd feeling to be in such a position where the only person you really felt you knew was the commanding officer of this unusual event.

Recruit Hercules Papadopolis also did not see anyone he recognized, but one thing was sure - every soldier here was cut from the same cloth - every person here had worked so very hard to get here, sacrificed the good times spent by many, many other people of around the same age.

Down the runway at a casual speed came a M-770 Staff Hovercar with Eglin markings. While many heads turned at its arrival, Colonel Sharp seemed to watch the vehicle with special interest and a small, hopeful smile. As it came to a stop, two ASC military officers stepped out of the front of the vehicle and courteously opened the back doors for their passengers. Their apparently civilian passengers.

Out of the car came an Asian woman of exceptional grace and beauty dressed in formal attire that made her look every bit the professional doctor with a sense of style all the way down to her white vest and skirt. With black hair tied into an intricate bun, she possessed the kind of beauteous face and eyes that artists created from their dreams. More than one man present, young or otherwise, turned and looked. And kept looking.

One of Sharp's officers went to the trunk of the car and pulled forth an ordinary wheelchair that looked as if it had come from the Eglin medical center. Into this, the youngest person present slipped from the back seat into this chair with practice. He had sharp-looking short black hair and he wore blue corduroy jeans and a bright white shirt with the NASA logo on it where the words, "I Need My Space" blazed proudly. The Asian lady and he chatted briefly. He seemed to be agreeing to her request to push his chair.

At that point, one of Colonel Sharp's staff approached waving his hand in a discreet but disapproving fashion. "Excuse me, ma'am. This is a top secret meeting. Minors are not allowed." She did not answer him but instead she looked back toward the staff car.

A large round man emerged with tremendous presence, great white hair, and a long beard that carried well with the late morning breeze. He wore a long-sleeved, deep blue suit and tie and appeared every bit the professional. There was a steeliness in his eyes as he replied to the officer. "If he goes, I go."

"That won't be necessary." Colonel Sharp moved away from his position and left his assembly to meet the fellow (it was his assembly after all). "Lieutenant, these are my guests. All of them." Sharp's lieutenant grinned wordlessly and nodded in understanding and relief. The large civilian and the colonel moved toward each other meeting in the middle of their crossed distances. There was a great gladness shared between the two as they shook hands like old friends do.

"Albert! Damned glad to finally see you!"

"Hiram! Looking good, old boy!"

Together, they chatted with great fondness while 'Arthur' introduced his two friends. The four of them slowly made their way to the assembly.

The time was 11:50 a.m. The time for roll call would be very soon. This gave the special newcomers a chance to do as they would.

Last edited:
Mario Zuko stands at Parade Rest as he casually watches the goings-on before him.  He does his best to keep the bulk of his weight off of his sore ankle, hoping secretly that whatever activities that he will be going through will not involve a serious amount of leg work.  He had taken some Ibuprophin earlier and had some more in his pocket, but he didn't want the Colonel to see him popping pills, no matter how bad his foot hurts.  I don't know what bothers me more; the bum leg or the fact that I lost my tank on my very first mission in it.  The only thing keeping me from losing my stripes down to buck private is the fact that I was able to stall the Zentraedi long enough to get those civilians out of there, alive and unhurt.  That is a crappy way to fight a war, targeting innocent people that can't fight back.

When the staff car comes up to the mixed formation, Mario looks on with interest as the civilian passengers are unloaded.  Obviously, despite the fact that they are not military, they are some kind of VIPs, and need to be treated with the upmost respect.  Wow, that lady is a hottie.  I wonder who she is?  The Colonel seems to be friendly with them.  Keep your head in the game, Mario.  No matter what happens, keep your head up.

Previously

Hercules stood before his bunk block, the truck The Professor, Hitomi and Reggie had dropped him off in little more than a pair of red lights receding into the night. The massive Greek checked his wristwatch, 03:40. He had to be up and at his assigned meeting before midday otherwise he'd regret it. He knew that deep within himself as much as he knew he really needed something to eat. So he took himself to the refectory, the one area that had 24-hour access to food and cooking facilities. His earlier sucking up to the cooks was still in effect and they allowed him space to grill up a few lamb kebabs he'd had marinating in the refrigerator over the burners, in lieu of an open fire. As the meat sizzled and dripped rich fat, he tore up leaves of fresh mint, chopped up a few slices of cucumber and a couple cloves of garlic and mixed them all in a few dollops of yogurt. The scent of the cooking meat filled the air and mingled with the refreshing scent of the tzatziki, setting a few cooks' mouths watering and encouraging a small group to roam past his prep area like hungry sharks. Hercules chuckled as he took his meat off the burner and stripped the lamb from the skewers. He offered the cooks a chunk of the meat, dipped in the dressing and then took the rest away to consume at his leisure. As he sat and ate, he thought back on the events of the past couple of hours.

Those AUL people, their kidnapping operation seemed pretty slick and their base was well supplied and organized. He wondered just how many other people had been snatched away and worried about how many had not had Hercules' good fortune to have been rescued. And then there was Reggie, the Professor.... and Hitomi. Such a group as they, he had never encountered, such intellect and fighting ability in one person! The Professor, despite his girth and apparent age, was a spry and virile as a man Herc's own age, while Miss Hitomi... well she was as skilled as she was beautiful. And little Reggie, such courage! Hercules knew full well that courage was not simply doing scary things, it was knowing that something was scary and dangerous and being scared, but doing the thing anyway. He really hoped he would see them all again. As he finished his food and bussed his plates, he started to feel twinges in his back, arms and thighs. Not good, his body was finally filing complaints regarding the exercise without a warm-up earlier. He walked back to the bunk block and had a shower, as hot as he could stand, carefully massaging his abused muscles back to some form of life. Then at 04:30 he fell into his bed.

Dead on 06:30, his usual alarm sounded and Hercules fell back out of bed. His muscles complained, loudly, every movement he made and for a time he stumbled about like an old man of 110. He struggled into the bunk block's tiny kitchen area and prepared a coffee, Turkish style, and drank the rich strong drink straight down before hauling back into another hot shower. This done, he attempted his morning exercises. After aborting his morning exercises (only 50 one-handed push-ups for his right arm and a mere 25 for his left and barely 40 stomach crunches), he decided a gentle jog to the meeting area would suffice for exercise. He rolled up his BDU jacket and tied it over his shoulder with a length of twine, then set out at a steady loping run. The location he'd been told to attend was only a mile or so from his barracks, remote enough from the base that whatever was occurring there would not be disturbed by mundane base activity, but close enough to benefit from rapid reaction combat cover should the base be attacked. Hercules had been slightly worried that this meeting might be another AUL ploy, but he could see a large number of people there, as well as several of the ASCs mecha stood around. There hadn't been any mecha at the AUL base, just APCs.

Now

Having arrived, slightly out of breath, but still muscle-sore, Hercules carefully levered his jacket on and made himself presentable, adjusting his beret to precise military specification. Once complete he looked around at the other invitees. There was, of course, a broad mix of women and men, apparently from all branches of the Army of the Southern Cross, if the shoulder flashes were anything to go by. Most appeared to be T.A.S.C., A.T.A.C, but Tactical Air Force and Tactical Corps were represented as well. It was quite the eclectic mix of troops. A flash of pink hair stood out from the mix of browns, blacks, blondes and reds, indicating someone of Zentraedi heritage, since dyeing hair bright colors was a uniform restriction. The color belonged to one of two young ladies in T.A.S.C. uniform stood together in the mix of pilots and tankers. Another man, with a stocky build, stood solitary in the crowd, maintaining parade rest while everyone around him mingled freely. He appeared to be looking for someone, but his expression didn't seem to indicate he was having any luck in finding them. Then, a base staff car pulled up and people Hercules did recognize got out. Reggie and the Professor....and Hitomi. Hercules waved his hands in the air to grab Reggie's attention, then if the young man saw him, he flicked a double thumbs up paired with a broad grin. He then blushed and dipped his head, worried that Hitomi might notice him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lieutenant Elinor Hall

Shrugging aside the night's dreams of cloud-walking elephants, flying wolves, and (of all things) talking calculators, Elinor had dressed with especial care this morning.  She'd polished everything that needed it last night before going to bed, this morning she'd ironed everything that needed it, and she'd added a touch of gel to her hair to keep it smooth and tidy.  Her Grandpa Will had always said a soldier that looked professional was professional, and he'd been a military pilot himself, in the old Air Force.  And she wanted very much to look professional for this meeting today.  No makeup; she so rarely wore any that all she had was tinted lip balm anyway.  However, she did apply a strong sunblock, quickly but with practiced thoroughness covering every bit of skin that showed once she was in uniform, and rubbing it in until all the white had faded.  She'd no idea how long they'd be standing outside, and at noon at that, and she'd discovered early on that her fair skin and the Florida sun didn't exactly make a good pair.  One last check in the mirror to make sure everything was in place exactly as it was supposed to be, and then she was off to meet Toph and head to the meeting.

The smoke rising from their quarters was an unpleasant surprise, but Elinor hadn't spent all these years working for this moment to be distracted now.  Besides, as she told Toph, "The base's fire department's top notch.  I had a mess in my Valkyrie yesterday that they put out in no time flat.  Tell ya about it, after, if you'd like?"

She looked over the scene as they arrived.  There were more people here than she'd expected, somehow.  And in all kinds of uniforms, too, though it was the unit by the covered Valkyrie that really caught her eye.  Now they looked like a sharp group.  She wondered if they had an opening, and if that was what this was about?  Or if it was something to do with the concealed mecha?  She found herself inspecting the area where the Valkyrie's head ought to be under that tent, reminded of her little adventure yesterday.

The approach of the staff car distracted her away from the Valkyrie and its attendants.  Colonel Sharp was already here; was this Brig. Gen. Steele?  Her curiosity only grew stronger when she saw who did step out of the car.  Civilians, and one of 'em a kid!  And... was that Hitomi?  She looked a lot different in dressy clothes, somehow; Elinor was used to seeing her in Jeet Kune Do gear.  Of course (she grinned to herself) there was no mistaking the way heads were turning in the Asian woman's direction, especially male heads.  That was the same, at least.  Elinor wondered who the kid was, and especially who the big man was, who seemed to know the colonel so well.  She glanced at Toph.  "Any idea who those are, with Hitomi?  Wonder why they're here today?"

Toph stands next to Elinor, looking at the covered Valkyrie with curiosity. I wonder what that is all about? I've heard that there was a problem with a missile defense system yesterday; I doubt that whatever bug in there was fixed in time for this to be a special roll out. "The man is a professor of some kind; used to be good friends with my father, many years ago. I met him for the first time last night. He helped to save my life and that of Hitomi. After all that happened last night, I have one hell of a tale to tell you, later on." She looks over the crowd, and her eyes are drawn to a massive tower of a man wearing ATAC corporal stripes on his shoulders. "Holy cow! Look at the size of that guy! He doesn't need a tank to take on the bad guys; he is a tank all on his own!"

"Saved your life?  There's got to be a story there!  I'd like to hear it, when we have time."  Elinor follows Toph's gaze and grins.  "Hah, you're right!  They sure make 'em big where he comes from."  She takes a few moments to study the big ATAC corporal, then looks around at the rest of her fellow young pilots.  "Sure is a mixed bunch we've got here."

Toph muses, "I see both air and ground forces represented here, and even different branches of the military. I mean, you are a test pilot, I'm a Ajax pilot, there are some Tactical Corps and several hover tank pilots. Add the presence of the civilians to the mix, and it makes for a very odd assembly of talent. I wonder just what this bizarre mix has to do with one another." 

The time was 11:52 a.m.

Reggie did not see Herc's wave, so absorbed was he at his close proximity to the mecha that he missed it entirely. Then Hitomi, who was paying attention to the people and not the machinery, tapped Reggie on the shoulder and pointed toward Herc. That is when Reggie's eyes lit with recognition; he enthusiastically returned Herc's wave along with Hitomi.

*​

Despite the boxing match Elinor's experimental Valkyrie had given her inside of its cockpit, Hall's bruises were minor; nothing for a real farm-raised lady to complain about. The Hall family were just made of stern stuff, mentally and physically.

*​

Toph received more than one curious look from among her fellow recruits as they noticed her pink hair. Still, no one approached her about it, especially here and now. Perhaps it was that subconscious sense of confidence possessed by nearly all warriors of Meltrandi blood. Perhaps it was something else.

*​

Mario Zuko tried to blend in with the crowd. Given his background as a New Yorker with time aboard the SDF-1, this was simple. Hiding his injury was more than just good sense, it was possibly a career-saving move. The slightest show of physical or mental weakness might be grounds for immediate dismissal and it was wise not to take chances. New Yorkers like Mario often knew when to be wise in matters like these.

*​

The five destroid pilots gathered underneath the cloaked Valkyrie were a close gang of nervous men. With every tick of the clock closer to noon, each of the Ghost Riders fidgeted.

"Man, what could be keeping her?"

"She can't miss this! It's all she's talked about!"

But the biggest Ghost Rider of them all had faith. Nor was he afraid to voice that faith. He also had a voice that Mario Zuko instantly recognized from the radio traffic of the previous day. Who could mistake that loud, nasal, drunken-sounding bellowing? Only one fellow in all of Eglin base, perhaps all of Florida or even the former United States, had a voice (and a personality) quite like Hairball's.

He staggered with his ever-present smile. "Awwww, don'tchoo worry guys! *hic* Shhhhhe'll make it! She's jus' havin' more bad luck is all..."

(Spoiler contains a younger, smaller picture of Hairball).
Yes, that's a Fatboy Slim album cover. No, Hairball doesn't have a cigarette. =)
fatboy_slim-youve_come_a_long_way_baby_a.jpg (Image credit: Hitparade)

Hmmm. Perhaps this is more accurate... Heh! =)
Fatboy-Slim-Bondi-Beach-Poster-520x245.jpg
(Image credit: First)

*​

Colonel Sharp guided his civilian guests back to the Veritech Hover Tank. He had a new spring in his stride as he chatted with his fellow old fellow. "All this emailing and video-conferencing has been good for the project, but it's nothing like seeing you in person again."

The civilian chuckled, his belly jiggling. "I just wish so much was not on the line. It would be nice to visit you just for a social call, you know. We have a lot of catching up to do."

"You know, I have a six-pack at the house that could help us with that."

"I could use a good time after the past twenty-four hours I've had..."

*​

Before the assembled recruits, Command Sergeant Major Powers of the ASC Military Police turned to Colonel Sharp. Sharp nodded. It was time to begin. Powers, a heavily-muscled, powerfully-built African-American in his forties, was a no-nonsense leader with fiery eyes and a near-fanatical dedication to the Army and it showed in his every movement. He had a reputation for having served proudly as a drill sergeant where he was both feared and respected for his ability to inspire whatever emotion he wanted out of others.

Right now, that emotion was obedience.

"Ten-hut!"

(Spoiler contains images involving drill instructors.)
Since I cannot find an accurate picture of Powers, these pictures will have to do. Enjoy. =)
encouragement-marines-boot-camp-encouragement-training-demotivational-poster-1258139161.jpg
(Image credit: Motifake)

hizn1.jpg
(Image credit: imgflip.com )

At his word, thirty-eight booted feet snapped together. All eyes fell on him as he glared frightfully at the gathering of young soldiers before him. He strolled with a clipboard held behind his back so that every face could get a look at the seriousness in his eyes. A good look. "Good morning! I am Command Sergeant Major Powers! That man," he stabbed a finger, "is Colonel Sharp of the Alpha Tactical Armored Corp and the voice of General Steele here at Eglin base! You will do everything he says..."

His glare added a hidden message, "...or I will make you wish to God you had!"

"Roll call! When I call your name, you will answer and form up at my command!" He produced the clipboard and indicated a spot with his hand with every name he shouted.

"Corporal Cobb! Front and center!"

"Yessssiiiir!" A wide-eyed corporal yelled and ran to her spot where he stood at attention.

"Lieutenant Shan! Double time it!" As the officer hustled to the NCO's order, Powers grumbled. "Move! We ain't got all damn day!"

Every time he shouted, someone moved and fast. Corporal Mario Zuko with his injured ankle certainly noticed this. It was at that moment that Mario's body began to have a serious conversation with itself...

(The conversation.)

Mario's Brain: Heya everybody down'a there! I think he's gonna be callin' on us soon, yanno? Whadda say ta that?
Mario's Twisted Ankle: Mama Mia! I sure don' want him callin' on me! I'm in real pain here, don't'cha know!
Mario's Guts: What?! Well, you'd better be ready when he does!
Mario's Twisted Ankle: Hey, I'm'a not kiddin' here! This ibuprofin you gave to da Stomach? It ain't doin' so much!
Mario's Brain: Well, dat's what you get for puttin' an S.D.C. medicine on a Mega-Damage kinda pain!
Mario's Stomach: Can somebody get'a rid of dese butterflies? He's still callin' people an' they're all runnin' up dere like dey are on fire.
Mario's Brain: Heya now! Don't a go blamin' me! Ibuprofin was all we had! What are we gonna do?
Mario's Mouth: Don' be lookin' at me. I am zipped up shut.
Mario's Eyes: Heya everybody! Don' look now, but the sergeant? He's a stopped cold. Wha's he doin'?

Command Sergeant Major Powers had about half the assembly lined up when he paused, his eyes upon his clipboard. "What kind of name is... Zuko?" He was taking yet another deep breath in preparation to give the order when the colonel checked his watch.

"Sergeant? What time do you have?"

Powers glanced. "11:56 sir."

"Good. Me too."

When Powers looked back down to his roster, he seemed distracted as he read down the list. "Let's see... Carrington... Abdelsaya... Himmelwasser..." Then he scanned the assembly with a look of frustration.

"Mackenzie!" he shouted.

No one moved.

"Mackenzie!"

He took a big breath for one last shout.

"MACK--"

(Spoiler contains just the right mood music for this scene. =) )
This particular song really does help make the scene for me. =)
"Fun Fun Fun" by the Beach Boys

"WEEEEOOOOWEEEOOOOWEEE!" screamed the police sirens.

"PULL YOUR VEHICLE OVER AND COME TO A COMPLETE STOP!!" screamed the military police officer on his loudspeaker from his speeding hovercar.

Suddenly, near the other end of the runway from out of the airport hangars came the sound of a mighty car engine roaring and tearing down the road followed immediately by the aforementioned police sirens and the rushing whooshes of three hover squad cars with Eglin Military Police markings on them, their multi-colored lights flashing in the late morning sun. They were in a mad chase after this:

(Spoiler should look familiar to some of you. =)
Yes, it's that car again... =)
Baby.jpg
(Image credit: Alfa img)

Late weekend mornings are supposed to be sleepy events and not filled with the near-deafening "BROOOOWROOOOOOWWRR!" of that lively engine as the car shot across the grounds with the police hot on her tail. The chase was on. They were doing at least highway speeds when without warning, the driver of the Corvette downshifted, slammed on the brakes, and spun the car around in a vicious one-hundred and eighty degree hairpin-style turn. Dust and dirt flew everywhere.

This caused the lead police hovercar behind her to swerve wide, for while hovercars had impressive top end speeds and could fly over the ground, their Achilles Heel was found in their lack of traction; at high speeds like this, their jets just could not take turns like a speeding sports car mounted with racing tires could.

There was much cringing and clenching of teeth from your superiors as the military police car, instead of making the turn, swung fast and wide into a nicely-stacked collection of crates, blasting them all over the place like a stack of firecrackers tossed into the midst of a pile of Lego building blocks. Much cursing from the police ensued while the sports car hit the gas and sped back around with two squad cars nearly hitting each other in their attempt to pursue.

"Just what in the hell is going on?!" yelled Powers.

Colonel Sharp brought his hand over his eyes. "No way. Is that..."

"Albert" could not help but finish. "...a Corvette Stingray?"

When the Ghost Riders saw this, they ran to the edge of the assembly. "Go, Baby, goooo!" "Yeah!" They screamed and cheered at the scene while most of the young recruits looked around, afraid to break attention. Curiosity slowly overcame discipline. Heads turned. Eyes widened. A variety of facial reactions came alive as they all watched the chaotic display. Things like this just did not happen every day.

The bright red Corvette Stingray found itself facing an open aircraft hangar, but with two cars on her like bloodhounds on a fox, the car could not slow. The car horn blared across the airfield followed by a hysterical woman's voice exclaiming, "OH JEEZ! LOOK OOOOUUUT! YAAAAIIEEEE!!"

The hangar contained many uniformed men and women; engineers, technicians, and junior techs screamed and shouted, leaped and dove onto anything they could to save their hides from the rocketing, runaway sports car. They held onto whatever they could get ahold of - ladders, tops of vehicles, each other, as the car soared doing around eighty (not in kilometers per hour!) through the hangar and out the other end as tools and people sprang into the air.

The two military police hovercars followed inside the hangar... but there were the sounds of hover-thrusters cutting on full blast in what could only be a hard braking maneuver followed by some poor guy yelling "JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY!" There was a roaring whooshing sound of a hover squad car rushing to a stop. A gasping "WHEW!" followed from many mouths.

Back at the assembly, someone's radio began chatting. Eglin Tower had sent out its emergency tone silencing all non-emergency traffic. The voice of an older woman with a Southern accent who, while calm and professional, sounded confused, followed. "Tower to all units. Runways are closed due to... unusual ground traffic... until further notice. All air traffic is asked to circle or divert... "

As the red Stingray exited the hangar, it hit the brakes creating a great white plume of smoke while it swung into a sharp left turn. "STOP YOUR VEHICLE IMMEDIATELY!" the police officer's loudspeaker blared. The lead hovercar could not see through this new wall of smoke as the Corvette changed direction. The move was spectacularly smooth.

The hovercar kept going straight until the driver realized his mistake and then immediately followed it up with another mistake by countersteering in an attempt to match the sports car. This caused the speeding hovercar to whip left but continue forward at far too high a speed. The hoverjets blasted underneath it at the wrong time and flipped the hovercar and its occupant into a thumping rollover. Over the loudspeaker, everyone could hear, "OW OH UGH AGH OOF! DAMMIT!" The squad car tumbled over and over until it stopped upside-down in the grass.

The driver, whose long black hair could be seen flying in the wind even from here, seemed to be frantically searching for something but just could not find it. With four runways to choose from, she did not seem to know which to select. The car came to a stop. There was quiet in the air.

The Ghost Riders saw this and could not stand still. "She's lookin' for us! She won't find us in time!"

"Somebody got a flare gun?"

"Hairball! Pop smoke!"

"Oh, yeeeeahh! Good idea!" He fumbled and reached into his pocket and pulled forth a smoke grenade. He grinned and shook it up as if it were an aerosol can.

"BAD idea!" yelled Powers. "What are you doing?!"

"Swear to God, she's our close air support! We gotta guide her in!"

"The hell you are! You are NOT popping smoke at--"

"Sergeant!" called Colonel Sharp with urgency.

"Sir?!"

The colonel pointed. "Do you recognize that vehicle aimed our way?"

Powers turned. He peered menacingly. Recognition struck him like a brick wall. "My God!" The big man staggered and his hand went straight over his heart.

Red smoke lifted hazily over the assembly. The driver of the Corvette seemed to spot it to the wild cheers of the Ghost Riders. "Over here!" "Go, go, go!" "She's got less than a minute!"

Sure enough, Colonel Sharp was standing over this crazy scene, his eyes on his watch. "1159 hours."

"Go Baaaaby!!" "Wooo!" By now some of the recruits had broken rank and were cheering with them. "Come on!!" "You can make it!!"

As if on cue, the sports car growled to life again. "BRRRRRRRROOOOWRRR-BROOOWWWRRR!!" roared the mighty engine of the lone red Corvette Stingray onto the very runway upon which each of your characters now stood. The Ghost Rider Squadron were jumping and cheering as the driver dumped the clutch, shifted gears, and opened the throttle all the way, sending the red car flying down the straight runway like a jet fighter.

The louder that engine got, the crazier the Ghost Riders became. They made an opening with their bodies like a pit crew, giving the sports car a clear place to go. One of the Ghost Riders was wildly waving a towel like a checkered flag. Hairball could not jump so he just bounced up and down trying to get her attention.

The car screamed down the runway at top speed of at least 140 miles per hour. Even Colonel Sharp muttered, "C'mon... You can do it." The red car saw the opening the Ghost Riders created and aimed for it. They moved out of the way as the driver smartly applied the brakes. The smell of burning rubber, hot engine oil, and car exhaust came over the assembly as the Corvette came to a neat, screeching stop right in front of the colonel and his aged guest.

The Ghost Riders checked their smartphones and watches.

The time was 11:59 a.m.

The group of veterans jumped together for joy, except of course for Hairball who just raised his arms in victory. "She made it!" "YESSS!" "Hot damn!" "Right, colonel?"

Colonel Sharp looked at his watch and nodded. "Eighteen seconds to spare." Just then, the 1969 Corvette Stingray rumbled like a steel dragon and both the colonel and his guest found themselves drawn to it like the call of a siren. They stared over it forgetting all discipline for a moment.

"Ohhhh," said the eighteen-year-old inside of Colonel Sharp. "What a champion. Albert, if that's an original engine, I'm going to need a doctor."

"I have a doctor nearby," said the other eighteen-year-old old man who verbally drooled along with him, "Hiram, just listen to that purr. Definitely fuel injected."

Then the driver took the keys out, silencing the engine, and everyone present watched as both of these men's faces just fell. "AWWWWWW!!" they moaned together.

As if that scene were not enough, out hopped a young woman not dressed in a military uniform, but instead the black-haired, bare-legged beauty wore only a camouflage bikini bottom, matching loose shirt, and a T.A.S.C. officer's cap with a gaping black burn mark along its side. She was barefoot.

This was enough for the hoots and hollering to begin from nearly all of the male recruits. After the crazy car chase, this new escapade was just too much for young men with this many hormones still in their systems. All was chaos and there was little anyone could do about it. The colonel and professor looked on and grinned silently as soldiers gazed with big appreciative smiles and expressions. For them, morale in the assembly just skyrocketed.

The driver, however, had an expression of teary-eyed despair and terror as she ran up to the call line, stood in attention stance, held her right hand up in a salute and bawled, "Lieutenant Shirley Mackenzie reporting for duty!!"

(Spoiler contains four pictures.)

The driver is wearing this except in camouflage.
EDIT: Since RpN returned to xenForo, I have since lost the original image and so I guess I'm stuck using this one. Apologies!
MasamuneShirow_MarinaHayami_8933.jpg
(Image credit: www.oocities.org)

But the driver physically looks a lot like Telerie from Larry Elmore's wild and wonderful SnarfQuest series. I guess if Telerie had a younger sister?
pic770987.jpg
(Image credit: comicvine.gamespot.com )

Facially, Shirley looks a great deal like this (same hair, too)...
Shirley Mackenzie .png
(From Reflections of Myth: The Larry Elmore Sketchbook Volume One by Larry Elmore)

If drawn by Shirow Masamune, I think she would resemble this picture (especially the hairstyle).
Shirley Hair Style Masanume Shirow style.jpg
(Image credit: http://www.theanimegallery.com/gallery/image:129572/shirow-masamune-artist:pieces-2phantomcats-08)

Command Sergeant Major Powers stomped up like the Incredible Hulk, fists clenched, until he stood directly in front of her. Then he let her have it full-force. "Young lady! What in hell is wrong with you?! We did NOT rescue you all the way from California to come here and act like this!!"

"I'm sorry, Daddy!" she cried. Tears running down her cheeks, she pleaded with all of her broken heart. "It's not my fault! My roommates stuck their popcorn into the microwave for thirty minutes instead of thirty seconds and burned half our apartment down along with my entire clothes closet! All of my uniforms caught fire! The only thing I could get was this!" She tapped her blackened T.A.S.C. officer's hat. "Now the only clothes I own are in the back of Baby's trunk," she sadly indicated, "which is probably where I'll be living for the rest of my life! WAAAAH!!"

Powers looked ready to explode. "All these years of sacrifice!! I swear to God--"

Colonel Sharp calmly but firmly stepped forward. "Sergeant," he said cooly.

It was the only voice in the entire universe that had a chance of causing Powers to pause. "SIR!"

"Is this that foster daughter you're constantly talking about?"

"She WAS, sir!"

"Sergeant," Colonel Sharp leaned forward in a compassionate sort of way and whispered. "Jamal. Walk it off."

"Sir?"

"That's an order."

"I love her but I could just kill her!" To Powers's credit, he did just that, stomping down the runway looking so hellaciously mad he could have breached the side of a Zentraedi destroyer - with his teeth.

Meanwhile Hairball waddled over to Colonel Sharp. "Heeeyyyya, Mishter Colonel Shhhur! Lemme introduce ya to our Mistress of Misfortune, da Empress of *hic* Evil Luck, da Queen of Calamity, Miss Shirleeeeey Mack! Shhhure she's gotta case of *belch* hard luck, but boy, can she sing and can she fly like *burp* nobody else! She's pulled us *hic* Ghost Riders fat outta da fire plenty of times! And beshides, look how good she looks in a bikini! Hoooiieee!!"

The Ghost Riders then began to sing, "Oh, I wish they all could be California Giiiiiirrrrrls!!"

Shirley spun on them, fists clenched like her foster father, trying not to smile. "Oh, you guys!! Cut it out! I'm embarrassed enough as it is!!"

Colonel Sharp smiled warmly, his hands behind his back. "Oh, Lieutenant?"

"Yes, sir?" she turned back oh-so-meekly.

"What are you doing?"

"Oh, just watching my military career go right down the drain, sir!"

"I'm not so sure, lieutenant. You did make it on time and you did just successfully evade three of my military police officers in their squad cars; I don't know anyone who's done that. Hmmm..." Colonel Sharp, on a whim, turned to the nearest of the recruits. Their nametags displayed the names, "Hall," "Zuko," "Kirin," and "Papadopolis."

"Recruits? What do you think we should do with Lieutenant? You have my permission to speak freely." Colonel Hiram Sharp had a reputation on Eglin ASC base for honestly desiring the opinions of his subordinates regardless of their rank and now was such an opportunity for these four.

In the meantime, the Ghost Riders just sang and danced around the Corvette Stingray. They sang...

(Spoiler contains.... well, you probably know. =) )
"I wish they all could be California girls!" =)
"California Girls" by the Beach Boys

Last edited:
Mario stared straight ahead, silently arguing with his ankle to embrace the pain and deal with it, because when the CSM calls his name, by God he will be running into position.  It was because of his growing level of anxiety that he doesn't at first notice that his savior from yesterday was not present at the formation.  Then, the familiar sound of the artilleryman's voice cuts through the inner turmoil, and Mario once more promises himself to buy that guy a case of beer as a thank you for saving his life yesterday. 

Then, all fracking hell breaks loose with the familiar red sportscar racing across the tarmac.  It was the angel from yesterday, the one in the unarmed trainer that helped distract the Zentraedi yesterday!  With all eyes on her as she races forward, he is silently rooting for her to make it there on time.  Come on, come on!  You can do it!  As she pulls in, Mario is ready to break ranks and dive out of the way, but she manages to keep control of the car enough to come to a tire-smoking stop, just in time.  Yes!  She made it!  Wait.  Oh, crap crap crap!  The Colonel is asking ME what we should do?!?!  What do I say?

Not quite in full control of his mouth, the words just slip out.  "I don't know about you, sir, but I think I'm in love, and I only just met her yesterday."  He suddenly realizes what he just said, and turns bright red.  "Uh, sir, that is, I believe that the Lieutenant has shown much initiative in a difficult situation, and has overcome diversity in a spectacular fashion.  It would be a shame to penalize her for that, sir."

Toph rolls her eyes at the comment that the tanker on her side made.  She wants to facepalm, but has enough self control not to.  A part of her wants nothing at all to do with this Mackenzie.  She is a loose cannon and having her as a part of whatever this is will lead to nothing but trouble.  But, another part of her is rooting for her to be allowed to at least try out for this special team.  Perhaps it is the bond she feels for all pilots, perhaps it is her urge to help out the lost puppies she comes across.  For whatever reason, when it comes to her voicing her own opinion, she just starts to giggle.  "Well, sir, having someone like Lt. Mackenzie around will keep things from getting dull.  Keep us all on our toes, that kind of thing.  I say, give her a chance."

Elinor had been waiting calmly for her turn to sprint into position, when the roll call was interrupted by... well, by what turned out to be the last arrival to this little meeting.  She could only stare in wonder and admiration at the Stingray driver's stupendous skills.  Sympathy and compassion joined in when all present realized just who this last arrival was.  Poor girl, to have to show up dressed like that to a thing like this, nearly late, and in front of Dad the Drill Sergeant!  And she couldn't help but grin at Mario's response.  But it was the admiration that spoke up when Colonel Sharp asked for recommendations.  "Well, sir, she did make it here on time, just.  And under adverse circumstances, knowing what the Sergeant would think of her, um, appearance.  That tells me she's pretty committed to whatever it is we're here for, sir.  And that she won't let a little thing like her apartment and all her clothes goin' up in flame keep her from where she needs to be.  Me, I'd like that in a teammate."  She grinned.  "Besides, sir, if she flies anythin' like she drives, and it sounds like she does," nodding toward the singing Ghost Riders.  "Well, sir, if it was me, I'd forgive a bit worse than this to keep her around."

Hercules had been eyeing the hover tank while the roll-call was being announced, but the sound of the Stingray's engine pounded into his senses and he could not help but turn to observe the spectacle. The violently red car hauled up and a significantly under-dressed young lady hauled out of it. Hercules' incredulous gaze deepened as her relationship to the fearsome sergeant became apparent. But then, the Colonel was calling his name, asking what his opinion was about the lady's eligibility to whatever this program was.

Hercules sprang to attention, saluted and, after a moment or two listening to the other people who'd been asked, replied, "Sir, the...uhhh... lieutenant did arrive before the time indicated in the invitation. She also...uhmm... successfully overcame several significant obstacles to ensure her timely arrival. Her...ahhh... appearance indicates an unorthodox, but ultimately successful, method of problem-solving and improvisation. She...errr... also risked arrest, injury and embarrassment to complete her mission of being here before 1200 hours, sir. For these reasons, I cannot see any reason why the...hmmm... lieutenant should be disallowed from continuing on whatever operation you've gathered us all here for. That's my thinking, sir."

He saluted again and fell back in, trying to avoid staring at the bikini-clad young woman. For a moment or two, he held his stance, before saluting again to the colonel and breaking rank. He strode swiftly over to Shirley and removed his uniform jacket. 

"Miss...uhm, I mean, sir, errm, ma'am. Please take my jacket, it'll be a tad warmer and more dignified than what you're currently...ahhm... wearing."

He saluted her, with the wrong hand, while offering his jacket with the other. 

Not quite in full control of his mouth, the words just slip out. "I don't know about you, sir, but I think I'm in love, and I only just met her yesterday." He suddenly realizes what he just said, and turns bright red. "Uh, sir, that is, I believe that the Lieutenant has shown much initiative in a difficult situation, and has overcome diversity in a spectacular fashion. It would be a shame to penalize her for that, sir."

"Oh!" Corporal Zuko was not the only one to change colors when he said that; Lieutenant Mackenzie's eyes got very large and her cheeks flushed crimson when her ears heard Mario's words. As if the scene she had caused were not reason enough for embarrassment eternal, now the young woman found herself fidgeting in a very self-conscious manner before God and country.

Colonel Sharp, on the other hand, could not help but chuckle having once been a young man too. "You don't say," he nodded with an amused grin to Mario before turning to the others. "Yes, the lieutenant seems to have that effect on people, doesn't she?"

"Well, sir, having someone like Lt. Mackenzie around will keep things from getting dull. Keep us all on our toes, that kind of thing. I say, give her a chance."

Lieutenant Mackenzie cringed when she heard the first part of this, but then relaxed into a surprised smile when Toph gave her recommendation. She had not expected to hear this.

"Me, I'd like that in a teammate." She grinned. "Besides, sir, if she flies anythin' like she drives, and it sounds like she does," nodding toward the singing Ghost Riders. "Well, sir, if it was me, I'd forgive a bit worse than this to keep her around."

Her surprised smile then glowed with what could only be called hope. She found it was a daring emotion to feel after all that had just occurred.

"For these reasons, I cannot see any reason why the...hmmm... lieutenant should be disallowed from continuing on whatever operation you've gathered us all here for. That's my thinking, sir."

Hearing this, Colonel Sharp glanced at Lieutenant Mackenzie. "Young lady, you seem to have gracefully captured the hearts of my A.T.A.C. tankers here."

He saluted again and fell back in, trying to avoid staring at the bikini-clad young woman. For a moment or two, he held his stance, before saluting again to the colonel and breaking rank. He strode swiftly over to Shirley and removed his uniform jacket.

"Miss...uhm, I mean, sir, errm, ma'am. Please take my jacket, it'll be a tad warmer and more dignified than what you're currently...ahhm... wearing."

He saluted her, with the wrong hand, while offering his jacket with the other.

Colonel Sharp laughed. "I rest my case!"

Lieutenant Mackenzie looked up at the giant hunk of a man with the romantic accent and congenial manners. She was stunned, not only at his breaking rank, but at his offer. Before she knew it, she was donning Herc's huge jacket that hung well down to her thighs while blurting out appreciative remarks. "Uh, why, certainly! Bless you! You're such a sweetheart!" She appeared noticeably relieved to have the massive jacket draped around her shoulders, for indeed her dignity had been wounded along with her pride, a damage now well-bandaged.

Not terribly far away, Reggie pointed. "Hey, Miss Hitomi! Hercules is taking off his jacket for her!"

"Oh, is he now?" Hitomi watched and smiled. After a moment, she patted Reggie's shoulder. "Take a good look, Reggie; that is how a gentleman behaves."

"A gentleman treats women with respect?"

"Bullseye, honey." She broke rank herself and gave him a quick, warm hug. Then she returned to her professional pose.

But back with Colonel Sharp and the recruits, all was not orderly. As Herc made his offer with all of the grace of a shy schoolboy, there were others who broke into disapproval.

"Hey, you big lug!" one broke rank and snarled at Herc menacingly. "What are you tryin', buddy?"

"No way!" another stepped forward. "I saw her first!"

Lieutenant Mackenzie frowned dismally and facepalmed. "Oh no. Not this again."

"She's gonna wear my jacket, not yours!" The recruit began to take off his jacket.

"Oh yeah? That's what you think!" The other reached for his own jacket.

Then the colonel stepped in. "Gentlemen." He pointedly indicated their spots in formation.

They did not take the hint.

"Screw you!"

"Up yours!"

"Gentlemen..." The colonel's eyes narrowed. Firmly.

One recruit rolled up his sleeves. "She's not goin' anywhere with you!"

"Oh yeah? You're the last bastard she'll be walking away with!"

"Congratulations, boys," Colonel Sharp stepped in between them. "You're both right."

"Huh?"

(Mood music for Colonel Sharp)
O.K. Really good mood music for the "Old Man." =)
Edit: Since RpN's move back to xenForo, I have since forgotten what song I posted here. So... I'll ask Sharp and post a song he likes. Okies. He "says" he wants this one. =)
"Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf

Partial lyrics:
I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Sharp aimed one hand down the runway. "See that runway?" They both looked. "Take a long walk down it and return to your units. You are dismissed."

These words struck the rest of the assembled recruits like a verbal nuclear bomb. No one moved. No one stirred. Not even the civilians. The only sound was a collective gasp among the young people and the ever-present blowing of the Floridian wind through the suddenly deathly-quiet afternoon. Some of the recruits even held their breath lest their heads be next on the chopping block.

"But sir!"

The colonel pointed his finger at each of them as if it were a drawn firearm and with equal effect. "Boys, if you can't control your hormones, you sure can't do what is being asked of you here. I need men and women of duty. Duty means having self-control. You have proven you lack both." He stared them in the eye. "You are not welcome in this place of honor. Return to what you did prior to coming here. Remember my words and better yourselves with them."

When both young men began to interject a second time, the colonel put his foot down. "Ten-hut!"

Both young men snapped to attention as if they were automatons.

"About face!"

Both young men hesitated. They were facing the rest of the recruits. They looked at their fellow soldiers with ashen expressions, laden with dismay, disappointment, and worst of all, dishonor. It was a feeling no one there wanted to see much less experience. But they turned about and faced down the long, long, empty runway.

"Forward march!"

And they marched away. In step.

Colonel Sharp returned his attention to the rest of the recruits. His eyes were lit with great purpose. "Ladies. Gentlemen. Soldiers. Make no mistake. You are here to see if you have what it takes. If you even think you don't..." he pointed, "you are welcome to follow them."

Not one person moved.

"Good."

The old soldier was about to return what he was doing when Command Sergeant Major Powers arrived with two dented hover squad cars and four bruised and embarrassed-looking military police officers behind him. Everyone present, military or civilian, knew without having to ask why he had returned, for the look on his face said it all - Powers was here to arrest his daughter.

Powers had every appearance of a man badly torn. Here he was, a man of duty and the highest-ranking non-commissioned officer among the proud Eglin Military Police and full witness to Lieutenant Mackenzie's activities, while also being the one man among all present who had fathered his little Shirley up from girlhood to her current place in life - a career he might have to silence today - with his own hand.

"Colonel, sir!" Powers mustered himself and said with great difficulty.

"Oh," came Colonel Sharp's disarming smile. "Welcome back, Jamal. Mind shouting out the rest of roll call for us? No one calls roll call like you do."

Command Sergeant Major Powers stopped, stunned. His mind seemed to reel as he realized what his colonel was actually saying and doing.

With a single glance, A.T.A.C. Colonel Sharp dismissed the military police and buried the incident at Eglin runway in a manner that brushed aside all problems and restored the assembly to what it was supposed to be. It became clear to all that Powers did not need to arrest anyone. Everyone could continue on with their day. All around the assembly, that glance of Sharp's blew aside all undue tension and worry. Some of the recruits, realizing this, even smiled in wide-eyed relief.

Albert chuckled admiringly. "Goddamn if you haven't lost your touch, Hiram."

Colonel Hiram Sharp winked and returned to his duty.

Lieutenant Mackenzie in her borrowed jacket, however, moved discreetly to Mario's side. "Hey!" she whispered. "How's that bad ankle?" She had been the one to drive Corporal Zuko back to base after the battle at Mile Marker 25. "How about you scoot up to the edge of the line so when your name gets called, they don't have to see you, y'know," she fought to find the right word, "struggle?"

A few moments later, Command Sergeant Major Powers took up his clipboard again with a predatory snarl.

"Atten-shun!"

Thirty-four boots clacked together along with two bare feet.

"Let's see. Now where did we leave off? Oh yeah... Corporal Zuko!" His brand of discipline and fire did not fail to make even strong-hearted recruits flinch with nervousness. Men and women grimaced at the sound of his voice and they were not even the ones being called.

"Move like you've got a pair!"

Recruits everywhere had to fight not to flinch even though Powers was calling only one man. All but Mackenzie.

"God!" Colonel Sharp heard that and chuckled. For it was true. No one called roll like Command Sergeant Major Powers.

Last edited:
Before the sergeant calls him out, Mario gives Lt. Mackenzie a grateful nod for her suggestion.  Speaking quietly so as not to be caught by the higher ups, he murmurs, "Thanks, Lieutenant.  Um, I'm sorry for what I said.... I didn't mean to embarrass you.  It was inappropriate for me to talk to you like that, and I'm sorry."  Come on, Mario!  Say something suave and cool, something to sweep her off her feet!  You can do it!  "Uh, also, I meant to say, thanks for everything yesterday.  I owe you big time." 

When the Sergeant Major calls his name, he takes a fraction of a moment to steel himself against the expected pain, and he sets off at his best speed, but he knows for certain that the skilled eyes of both SarMajor Powers and Colonel Sharp will be able to spot his infirmary a mile away.  He also knows that if there is any chance to be a part of this special project in any way, he must not show any weakness.  Embrace the pain; it lets you know you are still alive.

Toph does her best to keep the level of disgust down as the two soldiers are practically getting into a fight to see who would be the one to cover up Lt. Mackenzie with their coats when she is already covered up by the coat of that giant of a man with the crazy last name.  Since it wasn't Zentraedi, it was all Greek to her.  When the Colonel starts to try and interject his comments in between the two bickering troopers, a chill runs up her spine.  I can hear the irritation in his voice; don't those idiots know that they are dancing on a land mine?  Shut up already!  Too late.  Colonel Sharp dismisses the two of them with a level of disgust that she can't fault.  They were hardly acting in a way that marks them for enrollment in . . . whatever this special unit is.  Her assessment of the Colonel has just gone up a notch.

Elinor Hall

Lieutenant Mackenzie looked up at the giant hunk of a man with the romantic accent and congenial manners.  She was stunned, not only at his breaking rank, but at his offer.  Before she knew it, she was donning Herc's huge jacket that hung well down to her thighs while blurting out appreciative remarks.  "Uh, why, certainly!  Bless you!  You're such a sweetheart!"  She appeared noticeably relieved to have the massive jacket draped around her shoulders, for indeed her dignity had been wounded along with her pride, a damage now well-bandaged.

Elinor shook her head at herself.  Why didn't I think of that?  Then again, that tanker, what's his name, Papa-something?  His jacket covers a lot more than mine would!  Her expression changed to one of disbelief when two of the other recruits actually began fighting over whose jacket Mackenzie would "get" to wear.  Those idiots, this isn't a contest, this is an assembly!  Colonel's gonna... uh-oh.

These words struck the rest of the assembled recruits like a verbal nuclear bomb.  No one moved.  No one stirred.  Not even the civilians.  The only sound was a collective gasp among the young people and the ever-present blowing of the Floridian wind through the suddenly deathly-quiet afternoon.  Some of the recruits even held their breath lest their heads be next on the chopping block.

Elinor froze, not wanting any attention whatsoever called to herself.  The idiots hadn't gotten more than was coming to them (and she knew plenty of officers who'd give them worse).  Ditching a police pursuit was one thing, and that had, after all, been in the line of duty, so to speak.  These... "boys" was right!  Fighting over a girl after your colonel tells you twice to cut it out?  Now, that's out of line.  But geez, called out and dismissed like that right in front of everyone!  She never wanted to be in those kids' shoes, and made a quick but sincere resolution to do what she had to, to avoid it.

Colonel Sharp returned his attention to the rest of the recruits.  His eyes were lit with great purpose.  "Ladies.  Gentlemen.  Soldiers.  Make no mistake.  You are here to see if you have what it takes.  If you even think you don't..." he pointed, "you are welcome to follow them."  

Not one person moved.  

If anything, Elinor stiffened.  Whatever they were here for, she wanted to have what it took.  Even before this... spat had broken out, she'd known that.  It was more than pride, more than duty.  She knew she could do it, whatever it was, knew it in her soul, and only wanted the chance to prove it.

Remaining at attention, she watched as roll call moved on.  And wasn't that a thing, the colonel just sweeping it all aside like it was no big deal?  She wanted to be that cool when she grew up.  Don't get distracted, you might be next!  She shifted her gaze to Command Sergeant Major Powers and waited, muscles tensed to sprint as soon as she was called.

Hercules was taken aback by the sudden ruckus between the two other soldiers, raising a hand to try and interject between then before.... too late. The Colonel's judgement fell upon them like the wrath of Zeus and they were utterly undone and swept away. Hercules dropped his hand by his side and lowered his head in sympathy at the fate of the two young men. He clenched his fists until the knuckles showed white through his skin and sighed. For all that they were simply acting like young men, the Colonel was right. There was a time and place for everything, and here and now what was required was obedience and discipline. The two had failed in that simple test and they had been rejected. The Colonel was fair, but firm.

Then CSM Powers returned, trailed by the base MPs and Hercules wondered if his jacket would be carried off along with the Lieutenant. But, with the same swiftness he had dismissed the two young fighters, the Colonel made the incident go away. So the Colonel appreciates diligence to duty and initiative during duress. Hercules noted this for the future. He quickly returned to his place and awaited his name in the roll-call.

Come on, Mario! Say something suave and cool, something to sweep her off her feet! You can do it! "Uh, also, I meant to say, thanks for everything yesterday. I owe you big time."

Shirley put her hands to her lips and smiled. It seemed there were a million thoughts and feelings racing through her, but her mouth decided to say, "Oh, you don't owe me a thing. I just, y'know... want to talk sometime about what happened between us, uh, over the video-com?"

Her face took on a number of expressions as she wrestled with the confusion, revelation, and the many questions that unusual experience between them had created in her. She stared at Mario in a way that told him that whatever they shared was one big mystery to her, one she was not against unraveling.

But the time for that was taken from them as Command Sergeant Major Powers called Mario up.

Running on a sprained ankle is more than a matter of gritting your teeth and bearing the pain; something in your body knows that the pain involved is directly influenced by how you treat that ankle. Mario had several good things going for him. He was tough in spirit, tougher-than-average in body, he was wearing boots and socks that he had the time to put on and lace up properly so that the fit was good and snug, and finally he had Mackenzie's advice to act upon. If this was not his first sprain, then he also knew how to step.

All of those things worked in Mario's favor as he hustled up there and fell into formation, all without coming down on that ankle the wrong way. The last thing he needed was for the injury to fold on him causing him to collapse in a painful, embarrassed heap in front of everyone.

Mario reached the the spot. He stood at attention with his ankle complaining ("Mama Mia! Wat'choo doin' ta me?!") and very alive in pain. But he was there and he had shown no visible signs of his injury that he was aware of.

Powers glared, but not at Mario. "Let's try this again. MACKENZIE!"

"Yessir!" She was up and moving before her name left his mouth. She ran up in a spritely fashion followed by dozens of eyes. She lined up right beside Mario as if she belonged there and stood at perfect attention, Herc's jacket blowing about her in the wind like an old-fashioned cloak. Nearby, the Ghost Riders headed back to the draped Valkyrie and stood there quiet and looking very pleased at her.

Powers nodded and called the next name. And the next. And the next.

"Kirin! Hustle up here!"

Lieutenant Kirin got a bit of publicity as her name was called. Powers had noticed her hair color and shouted, "What the hell do you think this is, Kirin? A fashion show?" when one of the civilian guests spoke in a tone meant only to present the facts.

"That is her natural hair color, sergeant."

Powers turned. The Ghost Riders turned. Many of the recruits took a good look. It was Colonel Sharp's confident old friend with the big beard, big belly, and even bigger presence. Powers looked up to Colonel Sharp. The colonel shook his head expressing it was a non-issue. Powers carried on.

"Papadopolis! Hurry the hell up!"

"Hall! Do I need to light a fire under you?!"

Finally all of the candidates were upfront and ready. There were a few names that were called that no one answered, but the deadline was past and there was no one to show for them.

Colonel Sharp stepped forward and addressed the recruits without the use of a microphone. "Good afternoon, soldiers! You don't know why you're here and that's just the way we want it." He paused letting that sink in.

"I am Colonel Sharp of the Alpha Tactical Armored Corps and for the purposes of this assembly, I am the voice of General Steele. The general is indisposed with other duties and has asked me to fill in his shoes today, and as many of you likely know, he is not an easy man to turn down.

Every recruit here knew the story around the base was General Steele was not an easy man in any sense of the term. If Colonel Sharp was a caring paragon among soldiers, General Steele had the hated reputation of a callous renegade, willing to do whatever it took to get the job done.

Colonel Sharp continued. "Here's what you should know - I have been tasked with an unusual situation and I need unusual soldiers to do the tackling. Many of you are not those soldiers." He leaned forward. "Don't worry if your name doesn't come up. There will be other opportunities to challenge you here in the Army of Southern Cross.

"For those of you who do make it, consider yourselves on parole starting with this order: You will not communicate a word of what happens to anyone or anything or you will get kicked to the curb faster than those two lonely boys walking down the tarmac right now." He kept his eyes on the recruits in front of him. "This situation is classified. Top secret. You break this rule, you answer to the General. This is his order." A number of soldiers, those that had some time at Eglin ASC base, shuddered involuntarily at the thought. Given General Steele's history, their fears were well-justified.

He continued. "Remember, if you make the grade, great! If you don't, you've lost nothing. You should be proud of yourselves just for being considered. Each of you are a special breed of soldier and just another reason the Army of the Southern Cross is the best army the people of Earth have." He nodded. "Else, you would not be standing here today. Consider me pleased with your hard work."

With that, he waved toward the Ghost Rider Squadron. Three of them retreated into the tent made by the covered Valkyrie and returned with a large holographic monitor. This, they brought out before the recruits. This was the kind of monitor meant for large presentations and whatever it showed would be easy to see for all present.

Now Colonel Sharp was beaming a big smile. "I'm not the only one pleased with your hard work. Yesterday, right before the tornado hit us and made all hell break loose, we had a Zentraedi platoon attack a convoy of unarmed civilians from Alabama seeking shelter with us from the tornado. You heard me right. Malcontent platoon. Led by an officer. Firing on our school buses, truckers, and fellow human beings." He rubbed his hands together.

"Tactical Corp was already on scene with their APCs when one of our A.T.A.C. tankers showed up," he pointed straight at Corporal Mario Zuko, "who was backed-up by one of our already well-known T.A.S.C. pilots," he indicated Lieutenant Shirley Mackenzie.

"We suffered no casualties."

This was the source of the colonel's smile.

"Due to their bravery, teamwork, and quick-thinking, not only did the entire caravan make it safely here to base, the Malcontent platoon was destroyed to a man." He stepped over to the holographic projector and fiddled with the controls. "So, before we get to the nitty-gritty of our gathering here, someone has a little something to say to Corporal Zuko and Lieutenant Mackenzie..." He clicked a switch and the display flared to life. "Ah, there we go."

A three-dimensional display of lights and technological magic coupled with one excellent high definition sound system combined to a theater-like experience for all present. The picture showed a pleased-looking older woman sitting properly in a chair, looking off-camera before she looks directly at all of you. She is heavyset, wearing a flowery dress, and appears to be in her fifties. Her smile is both heartwarming and serious.

"Hello," she began. "My name is Mabel Montgomery. I am the English teacher at Anniston Elementary in Alabama. The class and I would like to thank whomever it was that saved our lives yesterday on Interstate 10. The children bore witness to your bravery and I think it had an effect on them. As you will soon see."

The scene switched to the big face of a girl, perhaps ten years old, wearing pigtails and a My Little Pony hat. A voice off-camera asked her, "What did the tank cannon sound like?"

"BOOM!!" she exclaimed at the top of her lungs. "It was soooo loud, I jumped out of my seat!"

The scene changed. Another child, an excited boy about the same age wearing a Batman shirt waved his hands, "KABLOOOEEEY!!"

Yet another scene and yet another child who flexed like Superman. "It... it sounded like... POOOOOWWWWWW!!"

The adult voice off-camera asked, "And was he blocking those big laser blasts?"

A little girl appeared swishing her hands back and forth in a deflecting fashion. "Oh, yeah! Yeah! He looked like... You know Wonder Woman?" Her innocent comparison of A.T.A.C. Corporal Zuko with the feminine super-hero got quite a chuckle out of many of his fellow recruits. "The tank guy was blockin' bullets an' everythin'!"

Another little girl wonders, "He was blocking... light. Does that make him faster than light?"

One boy wearing a Chuck Norris shirt is seen jumping up and down and performing defensive motions with his hands. "He was so cool! He was like... doin' Karate ta those Zen-tray-deeeee! He was like, 'Heeeeeyaaaa! Aiiyaaah! Hooo!"

The off-camera adult asked, "What about the jet in the sky?"

"Oh!" One proud-looking girl answered, "do you mean the VF-1D trainer Valkyrie, sir?"

This gets an impressed "Ooooooooh!" from many present including the colonel.

"He was mag-ni-fi-cent." She spoke the word as if she had been practicing it all morning.

The adult asked her, "What if I told you it wasn't a 'he,' but a she?"

Hearing this, the girl gasped in surprise and held her hands to her mouth, looking around with big eyes. "Uh," she looked at the camera, "can I be like her when I grow up?"

Laughter erupted from the audience, especially from the Ghost Riders, but even Powers had to grin with pride when he saw that.

The final scene contained Miss Montgomery collected together with about twenty children, many of whom were in the video. Miss Montgomery stated, "From Anniston Elementary to our heroes in Florida, we say," and the whole class joined in saying, "THAAAANK YOOOU, LORICATUS DEFENSORS!!"

They waved and cheered and cheered until the holographic screen containing them faded away.

(Spoiler contains this custom-made insignia for the Army of the Southern Cross)
(The Latin across the top banner says Loricatus Defensors = "Armored Defenders.")
Armored Defenders.png

Colonel Sharp strode to the center of attention wearing that big smile of his. "Soldiers of the ASC, don't think for a moment your efforts and actions go unappreciated." He turned directly to Mario and Shirley with a look of pride. So did many others. It was a fine, long-lasting moment that deflated a great amount of tension in the assembly. "Good work, soldiers."

He put his hands behind his back as the Ghost Riders carted the holographic monitor away. "Before we begin, are there any questions?" He paused and grinned. "Now is the time. State your name and branch before asking."

A tall recruit with blond hair and impeccable form in his stance raised his hand. Colonel Sharp nodded. Then the young man asked in a thick German accent, "Lieutenant Himmelwasser, T.A.S.C. sir." He saluted. The colonel returned it. "Are dey going to maybe get medals for dere actions, sir?"

"That, I'm afraid, is up to the General."

"But ex-cyoooz me, sir," the youth continued, 'are you not da General here today?" Several heads nodded in agreement.

The colonel chuckled and glanced at his old friend. Albert was chuckling too. "Having seen the combat footage from the Valkyrie and spoken with many involved parties, I have already given them my highest recommendation."

"Ach, so."

"Any others?" The colonel looked at each of you.

Last edited:
When the colonel brings up the Malcontent attack from yesterday, Mario starts to wonder if this is how he will be disqualified from this special assignment due to losing his first tank. But he then notices the smile on his face, and a small wellspring of hope begins to bloom inside. As Colonel Sharp keeps talking, a very humble feeling comes over him, and a sight blush can be seen as Mario want to shuffle his feet in embarrassment for being put on the spot.

When the video presentation begins, the feeling of embarrassment is replaced with pride for a job well done. He can feel a chuckle come out as the very kids he rushed his life for describes how he looked like Wonder Woman, blocking the shots aimed at them. He trades a look with Mackenzie and shoots her a wide grin. In a quiet voice, he says to her, "I don't know about you, but this just made my whole week better. We done good back there."

Mario then raises his hand to indicate he has a question. "Sir, Corporal Mario Zuko, ATAC. First, thank you for the video. My question is, are we bend p being assembled for a one time opp, or will we be forming new squadrons for long term deployment?"

Colonel Sharp faced Mario. "Well, while the need is immediate, my hope is to create a unit that will stick together for the long haul. Kind of like these lunatics over here but with more discipline." He grinned and indicated the Ghost Riders.

As if on cue, Hairball snorted obtrusively. "Ehh? *burp* Whuuut?"

Last edited:
When Toph sees the video presentation, her opinions of the somewhat wacky Lt. Mackenzie start to change in a more favorable light.  Taking on the Malcontents in an UNARMED trainer?  That takes some serious guts, not to mention that tanker, Corporal Zuko.  Risking himself to become a literal human shield to save the civilians, buying them time to get clear using his own armor to protect them.  They both deserve their moment in the sun, and I hope that the General listens to his staff and gives them both the medals they earned yesterday.  That is top rank behavior, true to the best traditions of the Armored Cavalry and the Air Force.

Colonel Sharp examined the recruits and waited for more questions. When there were none, he turned toward "Arthur" and gave him a little wave. He and the gorgeous Asian woman strolled forward. Colonel Sharp then addressed the assembly again. "O.K. people. It is time to get the show on the road. Let me introduce to you Professor Stein and Doctor Yashida." They waved and nodded encouragingly to all. Then the two of them produced laptops and took a slow, careful walk together. While the colonel adjusted his glasses and spoke, the professor and doctor walked a circle around and inside each of the three mecha.

"They will be assisting me today as we go through the motions. This will likely take a couple of hours. Unless you are called upon, there is to be no communication out of any of you at any time. No talking, no motioning, and the first smartphone I hear go off... well, I'll just let Sergeant Powers here handle that."

A few frightened eyes widened among the recruits as a couple of young folks could not remember if they had turned their phones off prior to this event. Like a shark sensing blood in the water, Sergeant Powers grinned with big, big teeth at them. They gulped like minnows.

The colonel continued. "Your names will be called one at a time for individual interviews. When you hear your name, do everything the person who has called you commands. If at any time you feel you cannot hack it, there..." he pointed calmly, "...is the runway."

Several recruits glanced that way.

Colonel Sharp leaned forward. "There is no dishonor, no disgrace, if you choose to walk. You are ASC soldiers. You will conduct yourselves accordingly."

With that, he turned to Stein and Yashida returned with laptops in hand. Quietly, they formed a triangle with Colonel Sharp and shared a brief conversation. Then, as one they turned back to the assembly.

Colonel Sharp was the first to call his recruit. "Lieutenant Shan. Come on up." There was a note in his voice that suggested none of the recruits needed to beat feet as they had with Powers. As the young officer strode up with impeccable form, he shook hands with the colonel. They climbed up into the Veritech Hover Tank in Tank mode. Once there, he told the Chinese fellow. "Now, at any time, if you want out, just climb out and walk. No questions will be asked." The young man replied that he had understood and the both of them disappeared into the tank.

Doctor Yashida gave a pleased smile as she called out. "Lieutenant Himmelwasser." The tall, lanky, and handsome fellow approached, shook hands with her, and followed her lead. She guided him to the open cockpit of the AJAX mech in Helicopter mode. "Step into my office, won't you?" She indicated for him to sit in the pilot's (front) seat while she took the seat behind him. She did not say another word until the AJAX canopy closed over the both of them.

Professor Stein seemed to double-check his laptop. Then he bellowed. "Corporal York." A tall fellow with short red hair and a country grin stepped forward and off they vanished into the tent created by the covered Valkyrie in Guardian mode. The Ghost Riders moved out of their way as they approached. The veteran destroid squad positioned themselves defensively before the closed flap of the tent and just out of earshot for the professor and his recruit.

The rest of the recruits continued standing at attention.

Powers waited a few moments and shouted. "At ease. Stay in your places."

Several recruits let out deeply-held breaths. Most others relaxed a little, for now it was time to wait as each of the recruits went through whatever they were going through.

Not two minutes into the first interview, out came Lieutenant Shan from the Veritech Hover Tank. He was not moving with the calmness and coolness he had before. The young lieutenant moved like a man offended, his limbs stiff, his jaw set, his eyes resolute as he climbed down from the tank and walked toward the rest of the runway. As he walked, he glanced at Lieutenant Toph Kirin and then he stopped in mid-stride.

He turned back to Colonel Sharp who was also climbing down the tank wearing a slightly alarmed expression.

Lieutenant Shan turned toward Lieutenant Kirin and stared at her with cold, narrowed gaze. The half-Zentraedi could feel his hatred through those strong eyes. "Allow me to put it another way, sir," he said to Colonel Sharp without taking his eyes off of Toph.

"You are damned right I have a problem working with Zentraedi! Earth and its people were doing more or less O.K. before they showed up! And now? Nearly everyone is dead! Whole countries destroyed! Entire civilizations wiped out! And you ask if I can trust them?"

He pointed his finger sharply at Toph. "Zentraedi are not real people! They are only killing machines! If the Robotech Masters somehow find their way to Earth, all they have to do is flip a switch and every one of them will turn and kill us as sure as if they were fighting under Lord Dolza! Just look at her!"

Recruits began looking at Toph. Colonel Sharp walked behind Lieutenant Shan just out of arm's reach. The old soldier was looking at Toph with silent worry. There was something in his eyes that beckoned to her. It was the way he sternly shook his head and put his finger to his lip as if telling her to be silent no matter what came out of this fool's mouth.

Shan snarled. "And a woman, no less! What shame! Have the people of Earth become this desperate?" He addressed Toph directly. "I don't know who you slept with to join my army, but you do not deserve to wear the uniform! You disgust me! If it were up to me, I would give you aliens back the same hospitality you gave us! Death! And we can do it, too!"

He seemed about to turn away when he saw Hercules. His disgust only seemed to deepen as he stared at the giant. "And before you ask, sir, I cannot work with Greeks either! Yes! I recognize his last name! What have they ever done for the rest of the world except party, go broke, and expect the rest of their European neighbors to pay for their hedonistic behavior?"

Colonel Sharp closed his eyes as if they stung, but he gave Hercules the same look he had given Toph. He kept his eyes on Lieutenant Kirin and Corporal Papadopolis the whole time. He was shaking his head, making eye contact with both of them, and those eyes carried a message. "I know you want to respond to him - but don't do it. Just take it."

Lieutenant Shan shook his fist at Hercules. "Men like that drag good people down when instead we need to rise! Hah! It would have been better for the world had Greece been blown to the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea. Perhaps Lord Dolza spared them to punish the rest of us, eh?"

Lieutenant Mackenzie stood at attention without blinking as if she could not believe her ears. Reggie sat dumbfounded in his wheelchair and openly gaped at Lieutenant Shan in shock.

Still, Lt. Shan continued. "So here we have a good-for-nothing alien time bomb and a lackadaisical brute who is more likely to blow Earth's chances of survival on a good time instead of saving her people! If this is the best Florida has, we are doomed! Sir, I am putting in for a transfer out of Elgin base - today!"

A few recruits gasped hearing this, but not Colonel Sharp. The old soldier just closed his eyes.

Last edited:
Toph jerks back as if she had just been slapped in the face. She is used to dealing with racism with its many ugly faces, but it was still a shock to see such hostility, such vitriol directed at her, especially from a fellow member of the military. At first, she wants to respond to the man with her own anger flaring, but suddenly a wave of sympathy for the poor fool comes over her. When a person is so engrossed in the hate, they will not listen to any one that speaks in defense of their target. She decides to do something that will not give this screaming ass the satisfaction of getting offended.

In a soft voice, Toph says, "I forgive you. Just remember, I am not the one that hurt you, just an convenient target for your rage."

Elinor dashed to her place when her name was called.  She let Powers' remarks float on by, knowing by now that it was just his way and that if she didn't do anything wrong, she wouldn't be in real trouble.  But God help me if I do do anything wrong!  She watched the presentation with the others, feeling a growing admiration and pride of her fellow soldiers.  That was what being in the army was all about!  Saving the innocent and defenseless, whatever the personal risk.  If she hadn't been at attention she'd've turned and smiled at Mario and Shirley.  Damn fine work on both their parts.  She tried to think of something to ask, but couldn't come up with anything.  Well, that wasn't true.  She had lots of questions, but they all related to just what they were all doing on this broiling tarmac, and the colonel had already made it clear he'd tell them just as much as he chose to -- which wasn't much at this stage!  So she asked nothing, and waited patiently.

Unfortunately, she was among those who couldn't remember if their cell phones had been silenced.  She thought she'd done so -- she always remembered it for church, class, and the like -- but she couldn't specifically remember doing so today.  She tried to keep this off her face, however, and was mostly successful.  It helped that no one was likely to call just now and make her find out the hard way.

Elinor watched curiously when the first three recruits were called into the waiting mechas.  Something unusual was sure going on here.  If they'd wanted private interviews, the colonel could've had more tents set up.  The use of the mechas augered something special, and she couldn't help wondering just what.  There was still that niggling uncertainty about her cellphone, though, and when Powers set them at ease she discreetly checked it.  A relieved smile crossed her face as she realized she had turned the darned thing to silent mode, and she relaxed, glad she'd put on her sunblock this morning.  She hated when her nose peeled.

Her attention was abruptly snatched away from her wandering thoughts by the bigoted tirade of the first person to end his interview.  She stared in disbelief.  At first hoping (for his sake) that Shan had been asked to speak freely before he started ranting, as the insults continued to fly Elinor found herself hoping the fool hadn't been so asked.  He surely deserved to get stomped for this!  How dared he speak so of her -- and his -- fellow soldiers!  Toph was something of a friend, Papa-whatsis a total stranger, but Elinor was equally outraged on both their behalfs.  If it hadn't been for Colonel Sharp she'd've given this racist, sexist upstart what he had coming!  But... she could see the colonel clearly indicating that neither Toph nor the Greek tanker should respond, and Elinor, reluctantly, took that to mean she shouldn't do anything either.  Without meaning to, without even noticing, really, she drew herself back into attention, sparks flaring in her green eyes, but she neither did nor said anything else, instead turning her gaze to Colonel Sharp expectantly.

Mario doesn't relax very much when the sergeant major gives the command of 'at ease'; there was just too much brass to drop his guard. Then the unexpected happens with the angry venting of that arrogant fool. He doesn't know what will happen, but he feels that violence is a very real possibility, especially when the pink haired lieutenant does the unthinkable:  she forgives him. Instead of taking the bait and fighting with the bigot, she takes the moral high ground.

With as mad as the lieutenant is, he might take a swing on Lt Kirin. Not that he thinks she can't handle herself, but Mario still prepares himself to step in and break up a fist fight. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back