• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eight: Reflections and The Highest Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bren shakes his head and smiles at Bria's little joke and her names for him and Otiorin, then listens seriously. "Of course we will. And do follow Otiorin's advice, please? I expect a well-rested Bria when we return!" When Otiorin lets go, Bren offers Bria a hug as well, as between friends.

Then he turns to Glider. "Thank you for keeping watch over her and our other companions. There's no telling what may turn up along the road while we're gone, but I feel better knowing you're here to keep an eye on things."

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]"No excuses but the direst."

[/QUOTE]
Kaerri said:
"Of course we will. And do follow Otiorin's advice, please? I expect a well-rested Bria when we return!" When Otiorin lets go, Bren offers Bria a hug as well, as between friends.
"Yes, sirs!" Bria beams, looking up into Otiorin and Bren's faces, taking both hugs with great joy. Bria respects and likes both men and she shows it now with her trusting and glowing expression. She does not release either Wanderer quickly, but enjoys each embrace to its fullest as if she needs these kinds of feelings in her life right now. "'No excuses but the direst,'" she nods and repeats Otiorin's gentle command. "This rest will only last for a couple of hours, but I hope it lasts for at least of couple of days." She begins to pull her long brown hair back into a pony-tail as she looks toward the front door of the Wanderers' Wagon, still smiling. "I know a good start - we'll have a pool party!" Then she looks to Glider for his reaction, but Glider is already on his way to the front of the wagon.

Glider grins at Bren. "Standing guard is the least a guy like me can do, especially given that just yesterday I was in the thrall to an evil I wasn't even aware of." Stewart looks up as Glider steps up beside him. "So, good fellow? Are you in the mood for a pool party with the Meadowsweets? They've been cooking all morning for Sabrefang and you've been out here."

"Me?" Stewart's hand goes to his heart. "But... but Master... er... Bilal the Rich never allowed me into the pool while I was his attendant." Stewart scowls. "Saint forgive me, but I am glad that man is dead! Yes, Master Ko, I would be greatly relieved and pleased to... join in a pool party!" He stands up and Glider takes his place at the driver's seat. "What about you?"

"Are you kidding?" Glider waves a burly arm before him. "Look at all these fine horses I get to know! I think it's a Ko thing, but most of us just love equines. They tend to like us a lot too after we get to know each other. I'll be just fine."

"I love pools," Stewart declares to all present while tugging at his jacket. "This is a long time coming, I tell you! A long time! Do you know how many times I have walked by that pool without dipping so much as toe in? Well that time dies today, Saint as my witness!"

"Come on!" Bria scoots over and takes Stewart by the hand. "Let's go get Bonny and Whittle!" Then she pauses a moment and waves at all of you. "Please enjoy yourselves but don't be too long! The party may still be going on when you get back!"

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]"When shall we prepare ourselves to travel, Lady Saberfang?"

[/QUOTE]
"Immediately, my dragon-blooded friend!" Mamapaw looks into the forest, her expression a mixture of worry and resolve. She narrows her eyes and speaks as if thinking aloud. "Gerran and his Painless have taken me from my people for too long. Now that my son and I are reunited, I must travel north while they trod south to meet with Skaagenrackner and from there, another druid. There will likely have been much confusion in my absence as well as empty tummies by the score. You will be new too; that is not altogether a good thing." Sabrefang turns to each of you and speaks seriously.

"Listen, Wayfaring Wanderers. As we approach my people, I must be the first to speak with them. Not even you or you,"
she looks from Wolf to Bren, "should make initial contact, for they will flee like squirrels in the night to places not easily found. Allow me to speak with them while you stay behind me in cover. As I call you forth, only then make yourselves known. Will you do this?"

Luna nods at the large feline. "We will follow your lead, and do as you say. We won't do anything to startle your friends."

Cantrips: Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Read Magic

1 - Shield x2, Magic Missile x2, Unseen Servant, Ear Piercing Scream

2 - Protection From Arrows, Scorching Ray x3

3 - Haste, Fireball, Displacement, Lightning Bolt

4 - Ball Lightning x2, Shout

Extended Mage Armor in effect for the next 16 hours.

Leonard Wolf - The Ranger

Shape: Human

1st lvl spell: Delay Poison

1st lvl spell: Entangle

2nd lvl spell: Wind Wall

"As you wish." Wolf nodded his agreement. "I need but a moment to collect my gear and then I'll be ready." He turned on his heel and set off back to his room to prepare.

Brendoran, human fighter/ranger

Standard AC: 27

Fort save: +12

Ref save: +8

Will save: +4

Current action points: 9

Current HP: 87/87

Status effects: none

Powerpaw's tower shield +1

(-2 to attack rolls)

Spell: Speak with Animals

Bren nods to Saberfang. "Absolutely. These are your people; you know best how to introduce us. Just as I did your son, with the horses, eh? I too need my gear, but it'll only take a few minutes." He follows Wolf into the wagon, smiling at the gathering pool partiers but not pausing, for most of those few minutes he requested will be taken up just by getting into his armor...

(Okay... First, let's get a little mood music going... =) )

A dreamy, peaceful instrumental by B-52's.

[media]
[/media]
Location: The Wanderers' Wagon on The Road of Kings (5 days north of Summerset)

Travel time to Highwind: On day 5 of 14.

Sunday, September 21st, 1118. Time: 9:00 a.m.

Weather: Bright and beautiful with a soothing breeze. Much like this:

sunny-forest-road-wallpaper_300d5.jpg

(Image credit: www.youwall.com)

As the Wanderers ready themselves for the trek, shouts of "Pool party!" can be heard from the Meadowsweets as they race toward their room. When Bren comes out of his room, he sees both Bria and Glider standing there, just the two of them, in the hallway. They look to him like kind people with something kind on their minds. =)

"Bren?" Bria steps over to him. She is wearing a beautiful metallic-blue bikini, no doubt her glamered armor magicked into yet another form. "Remember when I said 'later'? Well, later is now. Glider here has something to tell you." She nudges Glider with an encouraging push. "Go on!" she whispers to the elder monk, "it'll be fine! Really!"

Glider nods a little at Bria but turns to Bren without any further assistance. He takes a deep breath and speaks like a man choosing his words carefully. "Hey," he grins nonchalantly. "About my blushing earlier? I... I just wanted to tell you... A long time ago, I had the biggest crush on your father..." Glider is then unable to keep from chuckling. He is clearly embarrassed to talk about it with Bren, but that doesn't stop him. "When Killane came to join us on the Phoenix Mountain, I took one look at him and those eyes and thought the world of him. I mean, what a great guy he is!"

"I knew the chances of him being into men-who-like-men, like me, were slim to none, but it didn't stop me from hoping. And I learned soon enough and it was O.K. But I won't lie - it didn't stop me from daydreaming." His face turns more red, but he keeps talking. "Your mother probably had a similar reaction on their first meeting. Anyways, as Killane trained with us, we got to know each other we became good friends. I let him know how I felt about and he said he knew already, perceptive beast that he is."

"And all these years later, now you come along with those damned eyes of Killane's... just like Kikko's... and not only do you give me the strength to fight the cursed Crown of Chains... not only do you help me beat it... but you do just like Killane would have..." Glider smiles and shakes his head.

"So... I just wanted you to know... that every time I see your eyes I see Killane's." He sniffs. "And it breaks my heart all over again, but even now, I really don't mind," Glider points at Bren, "because Killane got something I could never give him and that's a family full of great-looking kids. And one of those kids saved my behind." He smiles at Bren appreciatively.

"Bren, I will always be grateful to Killane for coming to our home, and I will always be grateful to you and your Wayfaring Wanderers for giving me the opportunity to return to it. Thank you, Bren." Glider looks like he's about cry tears of joy where he stands. Bria comes up behind and hugs him and then motions for Bren to join in the hug.

(And now for a shift in mood music...)

By Clannad

"Lonely years of searching the wilderness

How this world can lead us all astray

Don't let me cry over colorless pictures

No more bitter winds

No more troubled seas

Just forgive me

And let me see..."

[media]
[/media]
Just a little later (once Bren has had time to reply to Glider and Bria), outside the Wanderers' Wagon, Sabrefang sniffs the wind. She is silent, like someone with a great deal on her mind. Powerpaw notices too, for this is the first time he has truly seen his mother as a druidess of Mielikki. All his life he has known Mamapaw of brave Bast, Sabrefang of proud Shamballah, but Melshaef of Many Forms? Though she stood beside him, the young ferocious warrior looks at a loss. He knows that time will tell, but what will it say?

Melshaef waits until everyone arrives, then speaks. She speaks with an authority you hardly see as Mamapaw. There is a heavy grimness with her every word. "I want all of you to know that I expect Melshaef to die today." She stares off for a moment. "When we reach the settlement, which should take us less than half an hour's trek if all is true, I will reveal things to my people that you know already, but they do not. Be prepared for surprises on both sides, my son," she looks to Powerpaw, "My Wanderers," she says to you.

"I must leave them today. I must leave them and travel north to Highwind at my son's side. This much they know - my whole reason for being in these parts is all because I followed the signs Mielikki gave to me." She packs a bundle of medium-sized sacks over her shoulder. "These morsels the Meadowsweets cooked will feed them for a short time, long enough for us to reach Skaagenrackner, but after that, I know not the fate of these refugees. Mielikki has given me shelter in her signs this morning, each telling me not to worry, but I cannot help it. What will they do? Where might this ancient creature take them?"

Powerpaw nuzzles his mother in a very feline fashion. "Aw, don't worry, Mom! We met ol' Rock-face! Dat guy will take great cares of yer peeps!"

"You think so? Just what kind of creature is he?"

Powerpaw looks to each of you for answer.

With those words and spear in her free hand, the last trek of Melshaef seems to begin. "This will certainly give us something to talk about on the roadless road..."

As you make your way into the fresh gold and green wilderness, you see Bria, Glider, Stewart, Bonny, and Whittle all waving to you from the Wanderers' Wagon and all of them in bathing clothes. Whittle cheers. "Come back all safe now, loves! Lunch will be waiting!"

"May the Saint of Common Sense and Retribution watch over you!" Stewart smiles, towel over his shoulder.

Bria looks delighted to be in her bathing suit. "Wolf! Luna! You have bathing clothes, don't you? Bren! Powerpaw! We'll keep the pool party going for when you come back! Bye for now, Rin! Please have a good trek!" Bria kisses her open palm and blows it to Otiorin with the most sunniest of smiles behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:

(-2 to attack rolls)

Dannigan said:
"Bren, I will always be grateful to Killane for coming to our home, and I will always be grateful to you and your Wayfaring Wanderers for giving me the opportunity to return to it. Thank you, Bren." Glider looks like he's about cry tears of joy where he stands. Bria comes up behind and hugs him and then motions for Bren to join in the hug.
Bren listens to Glider's explanation with equal awkward embarrassment, but he smiles when Glider says he did just as his father would have. He doesn't need Bria's invitation to join the hug, nor does he show (or feel) any of the hesitancy some heterosexual guys might in a similar situation. "Any friend of my father or of Bria is a friend of mine, and all the more so when you're a friend to both. You know... If you've got the time, you ought to stop by Summerset and visit him. I know he'd love to see you, and I think you'd like my mother and my other siblings. You've only met the one, so far, right?"
Dannigan said:
Powerpaw nuzzles his mother in a very feline fashion. "Aw, don't worry, Mom! We met ol' Rock-face! Dat guy will take great cares of yer peeps!"
"You think so? Just what kind of creature is he?"
Seeing Powerpaw looking lost at the sight of his mother in "Druid mode," Bren rests a hand on the big fuzzy's shoulder for a moment, but doesn't speak, as that's when Saberfang starts talking. He continues to listen in silence, then answers her last question.
"Skaagenrackner is a very goodhearted creature, Lady Saberfang. When I first met him, many months ago, he was traveling with the adventuring party Fangs of the Forest Mother. He was companion to a priestess of St. Cuthbert, but also in the party were a priestess and a paladin of Mielikki. The priestess, Gwen, now runs the Adventurer's Guild tavern and inn in Highwind, and I'd like to introduce you all to her when we get there. More recently, it was Skaagenrackner who set us to rescue the Daughters of Summertime and who acted to preserve the forest when it was threatened by fire." He sees no need to get into the cause of the fire at present, and really it's not relevant. "I do not know where he will take your people, but I have complete faith that it will be a place of safety for them."

As the party moves off, Bren waves to those remaining behind.

Luna looks ahead to the trail with a bounce in her step and a smile on her face. She walks along side of Wolf, occasionally letting her hand brush up against her lover. She asks, "About how far are we from meeting your friends? What can we expect when we get there?"

HP: X

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd):

Spells available:

Active effects:

After disengaging himself from the others, Otiorin gathered his arms and armor from his room, donned them, then returned in time to set off with the rest of the Warriors. He gazed longingly back over his shoulder at Bria (or more accurately her attire) several times before she finally vanished from his vision before finally getting his mind on the task in hand. He wasn't gloomy, instead he hummed an old Elven tune while twirling his bow in a carefree manner.

He listened to the conversation of his comrades while observing the forest around them. Best to be safe, not sorry.

Leaving the Road of Kings behind, you enter Shandra's Evergreen and soon are deep in trackless and trail-less forest, gold and green with leaves crunching under your feet with nearly every step. Spear in one paw, sacks of food in the other, Melshaef steps along with hardly a rustle of leaves despite her great size. Like Wolf, she moves through the wild with a quiet and sureness few civilized creatures ever experience. Powerpaw, as ever, is not far from her. His stride, while making no real attempt at quiet, is graceless and noisome compared to those wood-dwellers in the Wayfaring Wanderers.

Sherwood said:
She asks, "About how far are we from meeting your friends? What can we expect when we get there?"
Melshaef considers Luna's question thoughtfully. "My previous statement still stands, Luna - it should take us less than half an hour's trek if all is true. As for what you can expect..." she sighs and her whiskers droop. "I suspect much confusion on their part, and surprise too, all without thoughts of betrayal. They have no knowledge of Felane. Melshaef's true race is known to no one but you and a few secretive others, for it is the way of we druids to keep such things safe. In that respect, we are much like wizards."

"As for my charges whom you are soon to meet, they are all refugees from the Highwind War. They once lived in a trio of pretty little villages called 'The Three Rings.' Royin, Sooyin, Dalsin. All burned to blackness by the Armies of the Black Fang. And though it has been nearly a year since that sorry time, these people seek not the high walls of Crystal Crown of King Wildegard, but instead the deep and serene places inside Shandra's Evergreen, where like their former homes, they can reside in peace and relative quiet."

She glances at Bren. "Your words about this Skaagenrackner do strengthen me, young man. For while I have not met him, what druid has not heard of the legendary Fangs of the Forest Mother? Was it not they, teamed with The Light in the Dark, that put a stop to Vaprak the Destroyer, god of trolls, when he walked through Shandra's Evergreen with his terrible hosts of ogres, giants, and savage trolls? I know those tales well, for they are taught to new druids like myself too."

(Meanwhile... back at the Wanderers' Wagon, add a giant indoor pool, two hobbits, two monks, a steward, and a herd of horses and the scene looks a little like this... Ha ha ha! =))

[media]
[/media]
Ha ha! =)

Wolf for one seemed almost completely given to his surroundings. His legs and feet found their way forward instinctively, following the others and keeping up the pace next to Luna, while his eyes wandered aimlessly between the tall trees in never-ending pursuit of nothing in particular. Of light and wind, perhaps. The constant half smile on his face hinted of the thoughts within. It was with such a smile that be beheld Luna every now and then; glad and dreamy. "I really like you." he told her on one occasion.

(-2 to attack rolls)

Bren sighs sadly at the mention of the now-destroyed "Three Rings." "I visited Sooyin once. A pretty place, with helpful and hospitable people. War is such a terrible thing..."

His expression brightens into remembered amusement at her last question. "Oh, yes, that was they, and a mighty doing it was, too!"

When Wolf makes his comment, Luna's eyes light up and her smile grows. "Well thank you, good sir! I really do like you, too! A more wonderful traveling companion could not be found, even if we tried." In a much quieter voice, she whispers, "A more wonderful bedtime companion could not be found, either!" Luna has enough modesty that even making that comment makes her blush, and with her fair skin, it is very obvious.

"Xanadu" by Rush

[media]
[/media]
The singing of small birds can be heard as you trek amongst ancient brown pines and twisting oaks of many a size and age. Their branches and leaves reach up to the sky as if in worship. Golden light from the heavens shines down in stunning beams, granting their soft radiance to all things below as you walk along through Shandra's Evergreen.

Melshaef gives a small smile Bren's way. "I can only imagine what it must have been like to be there with all the seeming hosts of heaven and hell crashing down upon Sharseya, both gods warring against one another with reckless abandon whilst mortals like we either flee or die in their wake. Perhaps it is different in other worlds, but here on Sharseya, only a fool believes that gods do not walk and plot and try their goals as they will."

Long moments pass as you leave the comfort of the Wanderers' Wagon behind you, each step taking you deeper and deeper into the green unknown. Powerpaw trods along without fear, taking in the beauty of the forest with an appreciative eye. "Yah. Stills smacks me in da face dat you came all dis way from Shamballah just ta find me, Mom. Ya left evwiebody behind, found yer ways across da ocean, traveled across alien Averlunds, becames a druid wif a goddess we haz never even heard of back homes..."

"I would take every step again knowing that you were at the path's end, my son."

Powerpaw grins goofily at her compliment. "Wow. What waz you sayin' earlier about Melshaef havin' ta die? I doezn't get its."

Melshaef walks a little taller. "Melshaef is the name I took on when I came here, my dear. I could not tell people I was Sabrefang of Shamballah, child of Bast, from far-off Rhumia, could I? You may have been the first Felane in history to come to these lands, but by no means was being the second any easier!"

Powerpaw nods. Melshaef continues. "I think now it is time for my people to know who I really am. I promised myself that on the day that I found you that I would stay with you. Your road aims to Highwind. My road lies with you. So from this day forth, I will be Sabrefang of Shamballah, kitten of Bastet, druidess of Mielikki, Wayfaring Wanderer of Averlund, and mother of Powerpaw, Shimmer, Summerpaw, and all my little dears. But Melshaef of the Many Forms?" She sighs and looks a little sad. "She is a legendary figure that will drift away like a morning mist before the shining dawn. Like so many other legends. Her time and mine have come."

Vardadraug lopes along, nose to the ground sniffing, his tail high, ears flicking upon his noble face. We should be alone in our trek, our sounds trumpeting to all of our presence, and yet... he straightens and looks out into the wood. Out and up. Sparrows... Your doing, Melshaef?

"Indeed, my perceptive canine. I asked these sparrows to guide us to where my people set up camp, else I would be lost as to where to take us."

Your people must change places often.

"Too often," Melshaef answers solemnly.

Did you ask for more than sparrows, Melshaef?

"Nay."

Vardadraug's ears go flat. He crouches dangerously. Then we have an unexpected visitor...

There is, amongst you all, the feeling you are being watched. Eyes in the forest are upon you. Directly ahead. Unseen and thickly cloaked by brush and briar and oak trees, but certainly there about fifty feet ahead. In ones and twos, the Wayfaring Wanderers and company find themselves slow and come to a careful halt. The wild surrounds you. The sparrows have fallen silent.

What do you do?

Luna's eyes narrow at the sudden stillness in the air and the feeling of being watched. With one last squeeze she releases Wolf's hand from hers, but avoids making any sudden movements. "Could it be your people we are about to meet, Saberfang? I would not want to cause them any discomfort at our presence if that can be avoided, but in case it is not a friendly welcome, I stand ready with my comrades with a Haste spell ready to cast." She pauses for a moment. "Let us also not forget that the shade of my brother was poking his nose into my business not too far from here; this may be him once more. Let's hope that if it is him he is not going to do something silly and set everyone off on the wrong foot."

Extended Mage Armor in effect until 1 am

HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 6:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects:

At Vardadraug's words, Otiorin stopped walking and casually turned around, making an act of stretching his back while his sharp eyes scanned the forest around them. His hands weren't far from Moonlit Edge's hilt and the words of his protective spells were close to his lips.

Making a Perception check to scan the forest for any signs of someone close by.
[dice]22128[/dice]

(-2 to attack rolls)

Bren slows to a halt at the front of the party, closest to the unseen presence ahead. Like Otiorin, he looks around and listens, though his attention is focused on what's before them rather than what's behind.

Perception check, though if there's something to see I think Oti saw it![dice]22153[/dice]

It was like a pang at first; sharp and sudden, until it settled down into a steady, continuous stream of fictional shivers across the skin. And refused to go away.

They were being watched.

Wolf fixed the source of the feeling with a cautious glance which, to his minor frustration, did nothing to penetrate the thicket and identify the threat. With half his mind on his surroundings and the other half pondering possible courses of action, he was as ready as he could be.

The sparrows have fallen silent. There is a cautious hush amongst your party.

Melshaef is the first to break it. She speaks softly, shaking her head slowly. "No, Luna. I know not your brother well enough to say." She pauses and listens. "The sparrows who are guiding us know my people. Whatever is watching us is not known to the sparrows in these parts..."

Powerpaw unshoulders his spiked metal shield. He growls low as his scarred paw nears the Wayfarer's Cudgel.

What do you do?

Otiorin sighed gently and let his hands go slack by his sides. His mouth worked as he gently spoke the lilting, twisting language of Celestial beings.

"Nobody make any sudden movements, nobody draw weapons. We are surrounded on all sides by Elves. Elves with green eyes and red-tipped arrows. And those arrows are ready to fly. Lord Brendoran, what should we do?"

The Half-elf continued to act nonchalant, unhitching the water canteen from his belt to swig from the refreshing fluid within, but not taking his eyes from the threat facing him.

Luna feels her stomach flutter at the word that there are archers hiding all around them. Her Protection From Arrows spell will do only so much against a combined attack. "Let us hope for a friendly meeting. We should introduce ourselves and see what they wish of us." Sparkle, in case of trouble, go high up and hide in the trees. I don't want to see you get hurt.

"I'm not sure... about that..." Wolf replied to Otiorin's words in Common, though half-whispering as if talking to himself. The ranger looked tense, uneasy, but even more so than the rest of them. His eyes were open wide in some slowly unraveling realization known only to him, and glued to the thicket ahead. He looked and sounded quietly distressed, but he could not seem to turn away to look at anyone or anything else.

"I have..." he said, with more force and determination than before, "A really, really..." he swallowed in anticipation, reaching to his back, "Bad feeling about this."

By the time he finished that sentence, he was squeezing his bow in one hand and plucking an arrow out from the quiver on his back - obviously completely disregarding Otiorin's instructions.

(-2 to attack rolls)

Bren glances at Otiorin for a very brief moment, then returns his attention outward. He starts to nod in response to Luna's suggestion, but movement in Wolf's direction catches his eye. "Don't!" he says quickly, but not very loudly, and in Celestial as their half-elf did. He reaches out, not hastily, but deliberately, to lay a hand on the ranger's bow and keep it lowered. "Keep aware and be ready to defend, but do nothing hostile until we know their intent." He raises his voice, directing it to the brush ahead of them, and switches to Elven. "Good morning! We don't want any misunderstandings, but we are on a mission on behalf of a local druid and must proceed."

The bow remained low in Wolf's hand, and his other hand left the quiver, and the arrows in it, alone. He looked neither happy nor assured about it, though.

"Why are you so sure those are elves?" he asked in Celestial, his eyes darting between Bren's and the obscured threat.

HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 6:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects:

"How do you tell the difference between the wolf and the sheep?", Otiorin responded to Wolf in Celestial, then continued, "Lord Brendoran, be wary. They are now aiming at you."

He cleared his throat and shifted his language to a lilting, fluid tongue, rarely heard outside of Elven enclaves, "You know you have us surrounded and we know you have us surrounded so, Fair Kin, why not send forth an emissary that we might have parley and learn each others' purpose."

He held his hands out and away from his sides, palms up, and started to advance upon the surrounding forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back