• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter 2: South Wind

Wren looks where he indicates, and looks impressed. "I'm thinking that is a cool idea for a hands free torch, that's what! Say! Where did you get that stone-thingy? What is it?"

Renna says, "That is a type of Ioun Stone, but it looks different from the ones I've seen at the Order's monastery. Burnt out, but still flying around and on fire." Perhaps this will distract Wren from the plan of getting me into the wine. <sigh> No, with my luck, probably not. "Excuse me, sir, but where did you get that? It is a brilliant idea. Get it? Brilliant idea? Ha!"

Wren lets out a groan of pain. "Ouch! That pun was so bad, it hurt. I'm surprised at you, Renna. I was halfway thinking that paladins are all stuffy, no fun, goody-two shoes types, but that joke? A sign from above that you were meant to be with us."

"Um, thanks? I think? Just because we are all focused on our work for our divine patrons, that doesn't mean we can't have a sense of humor! After all, laughter is the best medicine, so if you ever get hurt, I'll laugh at you. To make you feel better, of course." She smiles, once more showing off a hidden talent of being a funny person.

Veskassdak shakes his head slowly. He will never fully understand mammals. Then he returns his attention to the flaming stones and their owner, hoping they would not require trading very many 'money' to get them.

Baird chuckles at the mention of giving Renna some sacramental wine. "Please don't get her too drunk Wren." When the group came to the Ioun stone, Baird remembered that he too could light up a room with one of his spells. However, he decided that he would keep silent and see what was about to happen with this bearded man.
Sherwood Sherwood Dicer Dicer Psychie Psychie

First about the mushroom vest - for now, you cannot see a merchant who seems to have that kind of gear. Dalim himself is more specialized on metalware, with some exceptions for good measure. As this is a rather natural thing, you might have better luck somewhere else - maybe ask Io at a later stage, or hope to run into someone who happens to offer those kind of things later on.

Speaking of running into people with interesting things - slightly irritated by both jokes and excitement on your end, the beardy man musters the group. "This, my friends, is a light in the darkness, waiting to illuminate a bright future ahead. Less poetic, it is a Ioun stone, like your friend here already noticed. I bought this one a few years back, when I noticed that many ingredients only grow in the darkness. The halfling himself created this one, and I managed to gather a few more over time - you seem interested, if I'm not mistaken? A little contribution to my cause, and I would consider parting with some. A mere hundred gold for an ever-glowing light?"

Veskassdak did not hesitate, "For sssomething asss ussseful asss thisss, it worth it."
He opened his pouch and counted out 100 gold disks, again in units of 10, and gave it to the bearded mammal.
"How ussse?" he asked as he did not know how to make the stone fly.

Baird's eyebrows raised as the bearded man was willing to part with some of the Ioun Stones for a price. However, Baird was content with being able to cast light spells at will so he would keep his cash for the time being. Surprisingly, Veskassdak was willing to pay for it, but didn't know how to use it; so Baird decided to step in. "Veskassdak, an Ioun stone must be first grasped and then let go at which point it will fly up into the air and encircle the user." Baird turned to the bearded man, "Correct me if I'm mistaken at all?"
Silanon Silanon Dicer Dicer Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

Wren takes a moment and also counts out her gold. "Sounds like a good deal to me. I'd like one, too."

The man searches for the promised items, deep within his bulging pockets, mumbling a couple of unknown words. He finally hands over three of them, a forth one ready at hand if needed. "None for you, educated friend? I take it you have your own ways to see in the darkness? You never know what waits in Kazragun..." With that, he quickly collects the money, and waves goodbye with his impressive hat. "Zvolov, alchemist, at your service - if you need something, the Forgotten know where to find me."

It is right before he can vanish between others that both Wren and Baird take a closer look - the stones he handed over look slightly different, smaller and overall less glowing than the one he has, now stored away underneath his coat. In fact, if Baird takes a closer look, the magic on them looks far less impressive, like an improvised trick instead of a proper spell. Additionally, the man seems a bit in a hurry, trying to get away as fast as he can.

Taking a closer look at the three Ioun Stones, it suddenly dawns on him that his companions were conned out of 300 gold total. "That son of a-!" Baird turns to the three quickly, "You three have been conned, the magic isn't as strong as his." Baird then turns and casts grease on Zvolov's boots.

Dicer Dicer Silanon Silanon Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie

Veskassdak reacted quickly, roared with rage, and pursued the mammal. Since he can move faster than the mammal, he should catch up easily to the fleeing alchemist.

Last edited:
As the sorcerer casts the spell, you see how the man slips and falls within moments, losing his stability due to the grease. But somehow, you can't tell how eactly, he manages to regain his foothold, as if his blue shoes wouldn't let him trip. You see how something falls out of his pockets, a golden flame suddenly appears; blinding the passersby around. Then a cloud of green smoke arises, surrounding Veskassdak and Wren as well as three tents in the immediate surrounding. You try to not let the man escape, but when the dust settles, his hat is nowhere to be seen. Instead, you see three proper Ioun stones, encircling a piece of paper on the ground. "Who cannot spot a little difference, does not need a proper lighting. With best regards, Zvolov". Besides that, there is a single copper coin, with portraits of the alchemist on both sides. The people around you look irritated, some swearing and other signs of anger can be heard. You can hear the name Zvolov once or twice, then things settle down at least for now. Things happen from time to time, and there are stranger people than alchemists and lizard men around.

Once Veskassdak reaches the point where the alchemist was before he vanished, he looked around breathing heavily.
"Kassta Magla!" he growled. "If find that mammal again, will turn into skagu! No like cheat!"
Then he looked down at the stones and paper. Picking them up he handed one stone each to both Renna and Wren.
Turning to Baird he asks, "Thessse real? If not, then when next sssee that mammal, will turn him into ssswamp food! Thisss why Arsu'sayp Noprem not usssually trussst mammalsss. Mossst mammalsss not trussstable."

This time, you can see no sign of trickery - it looks as if the alchemist, after all, left the paid items behind.

Wren lets out a very unladylike growl. "At least he has left us the real thing. If he hadn't, I wouldn't stop Veskassdak from being mean to him. But, it is a lesson to us to verify what we're getting before we just hand over our money. Lets go get that drink."

Renna takes her Ioun stone and slips it into her pocket for now. "Well, if that is the lesson we have learned, it is a cheap one, for it did not cost us our lives. Lead on, and we can get that drink."

"I don't know if Zvolov was trying to teach us something, but yeah." Baird then grinned as he removed his hand from Veskassdak's shoulder, but then a solemn look passed over his face as he addressed everyone else. "If anything magical needs looking at check with me first. I'll look out for all of us, count on that(Charisma/Leadership attempt). For now though, lets get that drink."
Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Dicer Dicer Silanon Silanon

Veskassdak seemed mollified, but to those who have come to know him after their travels can see he is not truly satisfied with the outcome. His slowly growing trust for mammals has vanished. He looks around at all the mammals and appears as if he is both ready for attack and ready to strike at the least provocation.
This sentiment works well when danger is around, but here it could lead to trouble. They may needed to keep a close watch on him to keep him from tearing an innocent apart for some perceived slight.
Still he says to them, "Drink good sssoundsss. If drink mammal try cheat, too, trouble in he be. Any other mammal trouble caussse, finisssh me do." With which he flexes his claws.

Last edited:
You find a place to get a drink - a decently sized tent owned by an ifrit, and thus welcoming a large variety of people. You see half-orcs, a tiefling, some dwarves as well - no members of the Order, as to be expected, they seem to stay away from the Forgotten. Therefore, the paladin almost gathers as much attention as the lizard man as you move up towards an improvised bar, a wooden board on top of multiple barrels. "What can I do for you, friends and companions? A glass of light wine, to celebrate the sunset? Or a dwarven black beer, to welcome the night? We got it all, here in Unya's tent, just name it." The voice is welcoming and warm, every spoken word filled with music. From water through to wine, most things seem to be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back