• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Castlevania-style Scandinavian Fantasy

Kayso

Insubordinate and Churlish
Hymn of the Shroud OOC

It has been a mere 90 days since news of the first attack spread. They have only grown since then, more numerous and in nearly every town east of Midfell. They say that something strange takes over the people, and that neighbor attacks neighbor, brothers turn on one another, and even the royal families are not spared, for the High Baron’s wife has been acting odd. With this seeming unrest, the other barons suspect that Vorak, the Baron of Svartre is somehow to blame, as they all know that the young and impressionable baron feels slighted and is unhappy with his lands and position, and they have no other explanation for what is happening. They have attempted to make communication with Vorak, but they are all turned away. Tensions are high and mysterious attacks are frequent, for people feel that they can no longer trust their neighbors or even their family members. Some of the other kingdoms are considering intervention, but there are plenty of individuals have taken it upon themselves to figure out what is happening before war sweeps the country. A few have come back with tales of eerie encounters and similar situations with the people of Svartre...
but most have not come back at all.
------------
The setting is Rosheim (Ros-heim), similar to medieval Scandinavia, 14th century. Humans are the most populous race, but there are plenty of monsters such as werewolves, werebears, witches, changelings, sea serpents and ghosts with which the players may come in contact.

Serious writers only please, who are willing to dish out at least 1-2 paragraphs per post, as well as possible collaborative posts in situations where it will make scene-writing easier. This is a detailed RP, with lots of creative potential in a unique setting!

Last edited:
You know I'm watching this, Kay! I'll keep an eye on it and see if there's anyone else who wants in on this :3

A sneak peek at the kingdoms of Rosheim:

Midfell

Capital: Valkys
feace99076b68bc02fee68b5a5280c01.jpg

The capital of Midfell, Valkys is also the capital of the country of Rosheim. Each of the major cities is governed by a Baron, the High Baron taking his place at the head of Valkys. Valkys' somewhat central location makes it a good place for trade and is a hub of activity and commerce. It lies between rolling hills and the second largest forest in Rosheim, and with its nearby lake and mountain range, it is rich in resources. The High Baron Barstein is a just and firm man, a war hero, and is generally loved by the people, both of his kingdom and the entire country. The people of Valkys had been hearing about the residents of other cities attacking each other for weeks, but now this sickness seems to have reached them: a couple outbreaks here and there-mostly traveling merchants attacking residents at market squares-though nothing fatal or too serious.

Vestra

Capital: Goldengrove
48e28e998c35953ae9f6e0d2440a5cc0.jpg
Goldengrove is the textile capital of the country: the residents here are expert weavers and clothworkers, and are also excellent carvers and producers of wood, which they harvest from the dead forest to their north. They have some of the most fertile ground in Rosheim as well, providing grains of all kinds to the surrounding kingdoms. Baron Verker, a farmer who was elected to the baron-seat after the death of the previous and heir-less baron, obtained the seat due to his fairness and wisdom, and has been ruling for only two years. The lower-class people love him, but the aristocracy think him a fool. Vestra has yet to see any attacks among its people, but the baron is very wary and spends most of his time contemplating on (and worrying about) his first real threat as the leader of this kingdom.

Elvann

Capital: Vannke
818f40bbf4563b3528bc83bcb1583cbf.jpg
The capital city of the Riverforest kingdom of Vannke is Elvann. Like other villages that have sprouted among the twigs and streams of the forests here, the city of Vannke is built into the very trees and rocks that give them their cover, some structures reaching the very tips of the branches. The Baron Sølvblad is a gentler and meeker version of his other baron counterparts, preferring to be peaceful and use intellect to protect his people from the dangers of the forest, many of which are werewolves, werebears and marsh-witches. Elvann also remains untouched so far as the strange civil attacks go, though brawls have never been an uncommon thing in the forest. Sølvblad has doubled the watch and wanders the streets and woods himself, determined to not let this threat catch him unaware.

Sorygge

Capital: Starkhold
ff974ea75b4a500a4b14359cf8e5a21f.jpg
Starkhold is a city in the south, deep in a valley and flanked by the mountains of Sorygge. Those who live here mine the mountains and are talented masons. They work with stone and metals and jewels and provide many of the more luxurious items that can be found across Rosheim. They supply the country's central army, located in Valkys, with their weapons and armor. The Baron of Starkhold is Riktårn (Rik). He is a very secluded, greedy man, and tends to both overtax and overburden his people. He just received news of his kingdom's first sign of the supposed sickness, a trader in a small, northern village that attacked a local farmer who has disappeared, but he has yet to make a move.

Halvøst

Capital: Innsjøst
7b414e4de7cd2e84cb515b64dd7e074e.jpg
This city is located on the eastern peninsula of Halvøst. Their primary export is fish and other meats. The coastal people are a very hardy, seaworthy people, while the inland residents are just as hardy with their farms and ranches. Sea serpents typically frequent this area, and have caused problems in the past. A Baroness presides here: her name is Vanndra (Vann). She is a fierce woman and can often be found on the sea in her boat, attempting to rid the waters of the creatures that threaten her fishermen. Halvøst has nearly been overtaken by the sickness, the attacks mostly occurring at night, and Vanndra has implemented both a curfew and local healers to examine those that have been arrested or killed/attacked. The healers claim that there is definitely something different about these attackers, but they cannot tell what it is.

Svartre

Capital: Greymirk
1657b86f49d0926addb8fd3b0d4b609a.jpg
Baron Vorak, also known as “The Young Baron,” leads the people of Svartre from the city Greymirk. He obtained his station at the death of his father, who always told him that his family was cheated out of habitable land because Barstein was a cruel and selfish man who hated them. Vorak wants his kingdom to be prosperous and powerful, and to show the rest of the kingdoms that he is capable of more than what they gave him, but the land is harsh and it is difficult for his people to live, much less prosper. All of Svartre’s towns are located in a large valley surrounded by a towering, circular mountain range - everything outside this valley is too dangerous or barren for habitation. Most outward communication with the people of this kingdom has stopped since the attacks started, and since it's very difficult to reach the mountain pass that leads to the kingdom in the valley, inward communication is sparse, and the majority of those who have tried have not returned. There are stories and rumors that have made their way to the outer kingdoms, of people who have disappeared and then reappeared a few days later, and that they have not had any attacks in nearly 6 weeks.

I would like to register my keen interest if you don't mind taking on a new member of the forum. Your choice of artwork caught my eye and the amount of detail in the lore gained my interest.

What other "civilised" races do humans share Rosheim with?

I would like to register my keen interest if you don't mind taking on a new member of the forum. Your choice of artwork caught my eye and the amount of detail in the lore gained my interest.

Sorry about to delay-I'm glad to see you're interested! The more civilized races would be the typical elves and dwarves (including the half-races), but also folk called huldre, who are sort of like forest beings who have bark-like skin on their backs and arms.

Thanks for the reply - I'll probably be looking to play a human with some very subtle traces of Elf from his forebears. Am I okay to start working on a character?

Voland, I forgot to mention werebears and werewolves are playable races if you're interested! I posted some stuff on races in the Lore thread:
Hymn of the Shroud Lore

Awesome. I'm doing some travelling at the moment so I'm not able to post it on my mobile yet but I'm writing as much as I can in notes. I will post my character sheet on Saturday.

Hello. I might be interested, are you still accepting? If so i'll read, all the lore and come up with a character as well. :)

It'd be nice to see some character pitches so I have a sense of general theme and baseline, so I don't pitch an outlier.

As it is, I'm thinking of an unusual ghost-possessed type, bound up with themes of curses and identity. I'll give it more thought and see what I can put together in the absence of what any one else is doing. :)

My character pitch is for a human, one of the "Hill Wardens" of Goldengrove, sort of a ranger militia group formed by common folk who train and equip themselves with the help of local villages (if I'm allowed to make up such a group). Spend their days patrolling the hills around their homeland keeping watch for dangerous beasts and trying to keep them away from the farms and homesteads. Their equipment tends to be of average or less than average quality, donated as such by the villagers they protect - who can be quite poor, although their bows and clothing are quite well made.This is due to the renowned skills of master craftsmen, the woodworkers and weavers of Goldengrove, who see it as a matter of pride that their work helps protect their community, and produce the powerful longbows and hard wearing clothing which the Wardens need to carry out their duties.

He is a capable archer with a good sword arm but is not a bloodthirsty warrior by any measure. Comes from a large farming community but was chosen to join the Hill Wardens after coming of age due to his good eyes and tall stature - typical traits of a Hill Warden. I'm thinking that once made aware of the attacks happening in other regions he might be travelling out, beyond the borders of his home, to try and find the source before it reaches Goldengrove and threatens his community.

Hope that helps Epiphany Epiphany . I should have the character up today or tomorrow.

Also Ignie Ignie I really like your character. I like how he wanted to use his magic just to help carry on his family's work - it feels like how magic should be used in a fantasy world like this.

The Huldre speak to me.

I may make one.

Kayso Kayso Are the forests & animals being disturbed by what's happening? That's kind of the only reason I see a Huldre getting involved.

I love all your sexy ideas! Ignie Ignie and Voland Voland , awesome characters! æon æon , the animals aren't being overcome, or "infected" like the people are, but they will definitely be affected (and might even be able to sort of "see" what's going on while people can't.) so perfect idea-do keep going with this! Epiphany Epiphany , ghost-cursed would be very cool. I'd love to see what you come up with! Also, I think it would be good to have the characters meet up somehow as they set out on their way to Svartre to figure out what's going on, but they don't necessarily have to start in the same place, or meet up immediately. Feel free to give me your ideas and we'll figure it out!

Thank you! It really warm my heart to see people likes what i came up with :) I love all the character's ideas, they are so diverse and promising!

For the meeting, Thrynn can met some of your character on his way to Svarte or begin immediatly with a character by his side. Maybe they also could all meet in some kind of village or pub?

Should be a fun bunch, indeed. :)

My pitch is up. Kayso Kayso let me know if it's too far 'out there' for what you have in mind and I'll rework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back