• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Captain of an starship looking for a crew (between 4 and 9)

JimeDorje

The International StarShip (ISS) Orpheus I is being sent on a mission, launching from moonbase Artemis on 26 December 2079. Our trajectory will take us to Deimos International Cooperative Station and then to Europa Station. From there we will journey towards Saturn where our mission objective [currently for captain's eyes only] is.
The ship, a state-of-the-art joint venture between the European Federation, the United States of North America, the East Asian Cooperative Union, and the South Asian Confederal States can operate with a skeleton crew of four, but the mission would work best with nine crewmates. If you are interested in being among the first humans to visit Saturn, please apply as a response to this message for one of the eight positions listed below. If accepted you will receive a private response to the interview stage before you are given access permission to the Orpheus.
Positions Needed (still looking for marked with a *):
  • Primary Engineer (Piloting focus)
  • Secondary Engineer (Maintenance focus)*
  • Tertiary Engineer (Robotics focus)
  • Astronomer/Navigator
  • Communications and Signals Analyst*
  • Biologist and Life Systems
  • Physician (ideally with a background in psychiatry)
  • Cryptologist/Linguist*
The template with the required information:
  • Name:
  • Date/Place of birth:
  • Position:
  • Education:
  • Experience:
Applications are open. The void calls, waiting to be known.
EDIT: Just some general housekeeping for clarification: obviously this is for a sci-fi RP. I'm looking for a team, minimum of four, maximum of nine to go on a long-term journey through the galaxy. I'm usually at least a paragraph or a multi-paragraph writer. In addition to the sci-fi, there will probably be elements of action/adventure, mystery, horror, border-line fantasy (in the same way that Star Wars is "science fantasy"), and romance (if that's something you're interested in. I, as the captain, do not plan on engaging in that, but hey, we'll be out in space for months or years and what crew mates do in their down time is their business).
Recommended reading/watching: 2001: A Space Odyssey (the Clarke novel and the Kubrik film), the sequel 2010: The Year We Make Contact is also very good, The Martian by Andy Weir, the (2015) film, and his second novel Artemis, Sunshine (2007), Moon (2009), Arrival (2016), Apollo 13 (1995), John Carpenter's The Thing (1982), Alien (1979), The Wandering Earth (2019), Life (2017), Apollo 18 (2011), I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (not the film which is rather silly, but the book does deal with topics and elements of robotics and space similar to what we might have to deal with). Recommended games that serve as inspiration: Out There: Omega Edition, Stellaris, Among Us (which is really just The Thing: The Game), Planetbase, Portal and Portal 2, We Went Back, and Prey, to name just a couple.

Last edited:
So will you just be allowing humans? As I wouldn't mind being a navigation AI

Last edited:
So will you just be allowing humans?

I had the same question because I am interested and currently compiling a profile. I have a character who was born human but went in for genetic modification and as a result, is physically an anthropomorphic gorilla. His biochemistry remains human though.

I had the same question because I am interested and currently compiling a profile. I have a character who was born human but went in for genetic modification and as a result, is physically an anthropomorphic gorilla. His biochemistry remains human though.
That wasn't quite what I had planned for this RP or world, but I suppose it's something we can consider.

• Name: James Smith
  • Date/Place of birth: Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Position: Secondary Engineer (Maintenance focus)
  • Education: BSc (Bachellor of Science) Aircraft Engineering - Glasgow School of Engineering, MSc (Master of Science) Orbital Engineering and Structural Repairs - Glasgow University.
  • Experience: Born in Edinburgh, James had a good upbringing, studied hard at school, and got a place in the School of Engineering. He knew he wanted to be an engineer since he was a child and he was always making things. He studied hard and got excellent grades in his exams, it was very easy for him to get a job with his grades, and immediately got a job in the USS Yucatan as a Trainee Engineer. He would assess the ship to ensure it is in safe working order and repair damages that occurred due to fights, leaks, mishaps, or whatever may have caused the damage. He was under the guiding eye of the lead engineer for the ship and quickly passed his assessment period, making him a 'proper' engineer. Nobody was looking after him now!

He took all that in his stride, he had no issues at all working on the ship. After the journeys on that ship were over the crew disbanded and he is now looking for work and this would make the perfect job for him.

Here follows a letter from James, applying for the role:

Dear Captain,

I am writing to you to apply for the position of Secondary Engineer, which I believe you are currently recruiting for.

I would like to start by listing the qualifications that I have got and how my experience would benefit the role. I have got a BSc and an MSc from the University of Edinburgh and Glasgow University. I got high grades in my studies and managed to get a job as a Trainee Engineer on the USS Yucatan which was a really beneficial experience, as I had someone helping me and making sure I was doing well. I had on the job training, with real experience which I will be able to apply to situations on your ship. I have a huge interest in Engineering, from a young age I was making things, studying things in my spare time and always learning about technology.

I have been on a lot of adventures with my previous crew, I worked my way up to be a member of the Engineer crew, without having someone watching me the whole time, which made me feel so amazing, it is my dream job! The crew have disbanded and I am looking for new work and I really hope that you will consider me for the role.

I look forward to your reply.
Yours faithfully,

James Smith

You know I'm Interested. I've been trying to plan out a decent Sci-Fi RP and I feel that this fits me.

Sci-Fi (Games, Books, TV, Etc,) I know so far:
  • Prey
  • Cyberpunk
  • Halo
  • Space Engineers
  • (A Short book I wrote.) 200 Years After
  • Astroneer
  • Empyrion: Galatic Survival
  • Satisfactory
  • No Man's Sky (What somewhat inspired me to write my short book).
  • Titanfall
  • Fallout (I hand-wrote a long-ass story about this game).
  • Crysis
  • Borderlands
  • Gears of War
  • Doom
What I can do IRL:
  • Design Armor, Ships, Robots.
  • Hand draw maps.
  • Writes well.
  • Photoshopping.
  • I prefer Robots over humans or something like a Titanfall pilot and his/her robotic friend.

(Are robots allowed?)

I was told i could be an AI though this is looking more for humans

A robitics expert is wanted though

Last edited:
Name: Adam Noon

Photo:
48f5c3d25cb4da781405.jpeg

Date/Place of birth: September 20, 2051.

Position: Tertiary Engineer (Robotics Focus)

Education: Went to the University of South Carolina. Bachelor's degree in Engineering. Mechanical Engineering Degree.

Experience: Adam was born in Columbia, South Carolina. His mother was a scientist at NASA and this is how he got into Robotics Engineering. At the age of 15, He started his own garage for anything mechanical. He wanted to be Astronaut but soon switched to being a Robotics Engineer because of his skills with cars and different types of robots. He was skilled with Robotics in High-School but usually stayed quiet, leaving him to fend for himself. He finished college successfully and got the Education he wanted. He signed up for getting assigned onto a ship and served one year aboard the USS Schaller before seeing the sign-up for this ship. He's hoping to get the job and make good friends along the way.

Hazard Suit:
e6aaac8118cae26ac779.jpeg

Currently we have:
  • Primary Engineer (Piloting focus): Pierce, John
  • Tertiary Engineer (Robotics focus): Noon, Adam
  • Physician (ideally with a background in psychiatry): Lang, Quyen
  • Astronomer/Navigator: Benson, Aaron Jr.
  • Biologist and Life Systems: Simmons, Derek

• Artificial Intelligence: Anima
Still looking for:
  • Secondary Engineer (Maintenance focus)
  • Communications and Signals Analyst
  • Cryptologist/Linguist
And we'll be good to go!

JimeDorje JimeDorje do you have a preference for face claims i am likely to use a drawing over a photo

No preference. Dealer's choice.

Last edited:
Okay i will get something may or may not be realistic but hey its just a digital avatar.

3de9e99e96bbbeaf6965009af61b29a49eb2bcfb.jpg
Name: Anima
Date/Place of birth: first iteration was started on 24 January 2069 in the United States of North America.
Position: Ship AI
Education: Specialy programed by top scientists and have access to the ship data base and processing power Anima can quickly learn just about any subject needed and solve complex problems.
Experience: Anima is a custom created ship Ai for the Orpheus I. She was created via a joint effort of multipule counties using the facilities in the the United States of North America. Anima is one of the most complex AI's created programed to be self aware but unable to go aginst mission parameters and of course unable to harm humans. She claims she made one joke about destroying humanity and the scientists added that. It took 10 years to get Anima fully programmed and tested having to complete hundreds of simulated runs and emergencies, having her problem solving skills tested and any bugs found and fixed. Anima also developed her own personality beyond what was given to her causing more rounds of testing to see how much she could reprogram herself. So after multipule iterations Anima was added to the ship ready to go once the crew is finally selected.

Just a heads up but there is something called 'Artbreeder' in case you haven't heard of it.

Its how I do a bit of my art.

I am quite happy with my choice and would like to avoid the uncanny Valley

The eyes stare into my soul

Update: We have a pilot! I'm really excited about this and think we should wait for a full crew (i.e. the last three positions: astronomer, biologist, and comms). However, I'm going to start sending out invitations to the Discord chat (please keep in mind that the RP Nation rules still apply on the Discord where we will write our stories) where I - as Captain James Kim - would like to perform interviews before we have group orientation aboard the ship.

See you soon! (And tell any friends that might want to join!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back