Can't we all agree that Skyrim is the best RPG there is?

@The Mechanist I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 too much either (I know, stone me and ostracize me)... but it was waaaaaaaaay better than Fallout 4. More RPG elements, more choices (except for the dumb ending AGAIN), and not many stupid kill and fetch quests. 

New Vegas is and always will be my favorite Fallout game (unless Black Isles gets their hands on Fallout 4's engine and makes another game like Vegas) I feel Black Isles really understands what makes a Fallout game great. This upsets me because I still haven't gotten to playing the original Fallouts (fallout 2's enclave sarge is hilarious, and all of those games are just riddled with decisions and fun).

Eh you're entitled to your opinion, but NV main campaign will never be my favorite. I hated the map, the coloring, I live in a tropical desert, I get tired of seeing orange and yellows especially when it's a scorching 90-112 degree weather on a daily basis, trust me when I say I loathe and despise the color yellow and orange. Red is ok in my books. And just like fallout 3 the combat absolutely sucked, took too many damn bullets to kill one person, accuracy is absolute garbage even at point blank. The weapon damage in total lacked realism. I did enjoy the weapon customization, albeit it sucked that I couldn't remove the weapon mods once it was attached. But I absolutely adore the DLC, out of all the fallouts NV had the best dlc, except for honest hearts. That one was boring as hell. My most favorite was old world blues. Love the big mt. One thing that I do miss from new Vegas? The shoulder mounted Gatling gun, my absolute fave. I would purposely jump into longest road early on purpose just to get the gun. Speaking of guns once more I was never a fan of the wear and tear system they had in place, I mean yeah guns wear down but I can assure you even after years of no use and just gathering dust, with a proper cleaning they can run for a really long time. And I no it can be done cuz the game has power armor for crying out loud. The bos in that game were annoying poor me cry babies. The NCR, as I said a bunch of overzealous over patriotic imbeciles. The ceasars legion? I killed ceasars every time I met him cuz he was annoying as hell. The followers? Weren't too bad, I liked boon, Rex was nifty. The night kin grandmama  felt like a last minute addition. Veronica was actually funny, Gannon? That's his name? I thought he was pretty cool, had an interesting view of the world. Raul Tejada! Someone I can actually relate to since I'm Latino as well. Laughed how they made the only Mexican in fallout 4 the arms dealer, I saw the irony in that. Fallout was good on many accounts as well as bad. And the trade mark of all Bethesda/obsidian fallout related games? The random crashes

@The Mechanist Ah, this is where it comes to. We have to disagree because NV was pretty much a classic RPG. I think you're looking for a more realistic, action type game with a few RPG mechanics. (The path that the fallout series and elder scrolls series are heading down). I really cannot agree with that point of view, I enjoy leveling up and become a badass. Blowing thru people whom took a lot to take down before later in the game thanks to just a tad bit of elbow grease. Also making an RPG means for different ways to approach combat, allowing to skip hard segments just by having a silver tongue. Really makes you feel cool when you can convince people to look the other way of come into your favor (sometimes with sexy promises depending on the perks you get ;)).

I really hope the next Fallout and Elder Scrolls games don't go too casual RPG, it'll really upset me and bore me more than Fallout 4 had. I really, really enjoyed Skyrim even with its flaws (which in my opinion, wasn't much). I guess we'll have to see where the company goes. Even Todd "every mountain can be climbed" Howard said he didn't like things with Fallout 4. All just leads to an uncertain, mysterious and yet exciting future for the company for me and many others whom enjoy the more RPG orientated Bethesda games.

@The Mechanist Ah, this is where it comes to. We have to disagree because NV was pretty much a classic RPG. I think you're looking for a more realistic, action type game with a few RPG mechanics. (The path that the fallout series and elder scrolls series are heading down). I really cannot agree with that point of view, I enjoy leveling up and become a badass. Blowing thru people whom took a lot to take down before later in the game thanks to just a tad bit of elbow grease. Also making an RPG means for different ways to approach combat, allowing to skip hard segments just by having a silver tongue. Really makes you feel cool when you can convince people to look the other way of come into your favor (sometimes with sexy promises depending on the perks you get ;)).

I really hope the next Fallout and Elder Scrolls games don't go too casual RPG, it'll really upset me and bore me more than Fallout 4 had. I really, really enjoyed Skyrim even with its flaws (which in my opinion, wasn't much). I guess we'll have to see where the company goes. Even Todd "every mountain can be climbed" Howard said he didn't like things with Fallout 4. All just leads to an uncertain, mysterious and yet exciting future for the company for me and many others whom enjoy the more RPG orientated Bethesda games.

Leveling up is fine with me, I just fail to see how being a higher level automatically makes your gun deal more damage. You're right to say I want realism. I enjoy logic in my gaming. Which is why I feel the Gatling gun in fallout 4 is absolutely garbage, waste 2,000 rounds on a super mutant in the game? In real life you could level a house and the houses behind it with 2000 rounds. The lore is great, vault tech are assholes. But realism is a must for me, skyrim has no realism in its combat, too many swings to kill one bandit and too many to kill me, I want a challenge. Nv didn't offer me that. The other difficulties? Makes you weaker and enemies harder. Yeah I want a challenge but I also want a level playing field. If I die quick then the enemies better die quick, I shoot someone in the head with an anti material rifle, they better freaking die in one hit instead of taking the bullet and crying for help.

@The Mechanist When I stopped playing Fallout 4, my character could take huge amounts of damage, because leveling up added a slab of HP, making it easy for me to live like I'm in two suits of power armor and dealing damage like a madman. I don't see why you'd hold Fallout 4 up from Skyrim in that regard because it's pretty much the same thing.

Oh, I HIGHLY recommend the "Realistic Damage" mod for Skyrim. Seeing as that is what you enjoy. It basically ups the damage on weapons so that it's way more realistic. My level 20 heavy armor character could die from four to three hits from a bandit when I did a play-through with that mod.

@The Mechanist When I stopped playing Fallout 4, my character could take huge amounts of damage, because leveling up added a slab of HP, making it easy for me to live like I'm in two suits of power armor and dealing damage like a madman. I don't see why you'd hold Fallout 4 up from Skyrim in that regard because it's pretty much the same thing.

Oh, I HIGHLY recommend the "Realistic Damage" mod for Skyrim. Seeing as that is what you enjoy. It basically ups the damage on weapons so that it's way more realistic. My level 20 heavy armor character could die from four to three hits from a bandit when I did a play-through with that mod.

I got that mod actually, I do so enjoy it, especially against dragons

@The Mechanist Well that's that for the argument. I suppose we're going to have to agree to disagree. I do wonder how the next Bethesda games will play out.

Hopefully better, skyrim was fun, im playing it as we speak, I haven't touched fallout in months. I'm just more excited for elder scrolls, hopefully the combat will be more fluid like it is in darksouls or something

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

I haven't played Fallout 4 yet but New Vegas is probably my favorite out of the ones I have played. I find the setting really fascinating and the story's a lot of fun to follow. I've always had a soft spot for deserts and playing the game makes me want to visit the Mojave IRL. Plus it does a ton of fun stuff with that Southwest touristy kitsch between New Vegas itself and places like Novac. I'm also pretty fond of how well the companion characters are fleshed out.

I should play it again sometime as I never actually beat it since my save collapsed under the weight of its many mod sins right after I finished Honest Hearts and at the time I didn't feel like fixing it.

This turned into 'lets discuss fallout and other games'. But meh, people can do what they wish. Skyrim is a good game, Final Fantasy 14 is good as well. I'm just not a heavy hard core gamer, I'm more casual gamer than hard core.

Well, all of this is subjective. I would say Skyrim is a better game, but FF7 is a JRPG, Skyrim is not. FF7 is still a vastly superior story. Xenogears (which was supposed to be FF7, but was deemed too dark and complex for an FF title) is a better game, and story than FF7, though. FF7 is only good for it's story line, one of the best in gaming history, period.

Merging all sub-genres of RPG so this doesn't take too much of my time.

Gameplay - Skyrim

Storyline - Xenogears

Characters - FF6

Difficulty - Vagrant Story

Replay Value -  Saga Frontier

Last edited by a moderator:
Square really was on its A-game in the PS1 era. So much weird and cool experimental stuff. I'll always have a soft spot for Legend of Mana, personally.

I stand by my view that Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is the best RPG of all time.

While I do have a great fondness for Skyrim, I can't agree that it's the best RPG out there due to a few other RPGs that I prefer. But, like others have said, I would definitely agree it is most likely one of the best medieval RPGs there are. 

I wish Bethesda would make a more enticing story for it. It took more than 50 hours of my first gameplay before I decided to go do the main story.

Leveling up is fine with me, I just fail to see how being a higher level automatically makes your gun deal more damage. You're right to say I want realism. I enjoy logic in my gaming. Which is why I feel the Gatling gun in fallout 4 is absolutely garbage, waste 2,000 rounds on a super mutant in the game? In real life you could level a house and the houses behind it with 2000 rounds. The lore is great, vault tech are assholes. But realism is a must for me, skyrim has no realism in its combat, too many swings to kill one bandit and too many to kill me, I want a challenge. Nv didn't offer me that. The other difficulties? Makes you weaker and enemies harder. Yeah I want a challenge but I also want a level playing field. If I die quick then the enemies better die quick, I shoot someone in the head with an anti material rifle, they better freaking die in one hit instead of taking the bullet and crying for help.

Immersive Gameplay mod for F4.

Fusion cores last several hours of continuous use, human enemies have 120 health at the very most (10 Endurance) unless they're jacked up on buffout, and damage is mostly based on the ammunition you use. A hunting rifle with .308 ammunition will only do about 5-10% more than a Pipe Rifle that uses .308 ammunition. Then you've got miniguns that deal as much damage per shot as a hunting rifle, missile launches that deal several thousand damage per shot, mini nukes that deal +20,000, so on. Delevelled world (I believe) so enemies don't scale with you - they have their own static levels.

Changes a lot of perks too. You only have "damage perks" for unarmed and melee combat, whereas other weapon types have a single rank that boosts accuracy and VATs accuracy.

Limb hits deal only maybe 1/10th regular health damage, but 20ish times more limb damage.

Near-zero VATs costs, with the tradeoff of worse accuracy and no bonus to damage resistance.

... I died 7 times trying to get past bloodbugs outside Red Rocket - all my shots hit their legs, and the poison 1shots me without poison resistance. >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back