Can't we all agree that Skyrim is the best RPG there is?

Zombocalypse

Quintessential Badboy
Can't we all agree that Skyrim is the best RPG there is?

I've tried lots of RPGs. Some would say Baldur's Gate II is the best, but games like that are outdated. Some would say Final Fantasy 7 is the best, but games like that are loved only by fanboys and fangirls.

Isn't Skyrim the best?

That's a biased based opinion but! I really do love skyrim, I've got hundreds of hours in the game but I do play other rpgs, withcher, destiny, fallout such as that

ooh wee, rick.

that's a way to start a flame war, my dude.

skyrim and fallout are really great, but genres conflict and it's just chaos.

i'd definitely say that skyrim is the best medieval rpg out there in my opinion, however.

I dunno man, FFVII was and still is a huge mainstream success. I think quantifying the best RPG is pretty much an impossible endeavor because the genre has grown so much and encompasses so many different styles now. I'm pretty fond of Skyrim but honestly with Bethesda open world RPGs half the fun for me is in modding the game and customizing my personal vision of what I want out of the game.

It's just that Skyim wasn't really that hardcore of an RPG. Kind of an actiony-rpg mix. Still my favorite Elder Scrolls game, for sure, my 600 hours on steam shows that.

I don't really play much RPGs, they never seemed like my cup of tea. However, New Vegas was glorious and definitely up in my personal list of favorite RPGs. Right behind Mass Effect 2.

Fallout 4 was trash. 

It's just that Skyim wasn't really that hardcore of an RPG. Kind of an actiony-rpg mix. Still my favorite Elder Scrolls game, for sure, my 600 hours on steam shows that.

I don't really play much RPGs, they never seemed like my cup of tea. However, New Vegas was glorious and definitely up in my personal list of favorite RPGs. Right behind Mass Effect 2.

Fallout 4 was trash. 

;^; you no like mechanist?

Skyrim?  It's a great game, I'll give you that. But it's a mediocre RPG. Compared to the depth of some other games, Bethesda RPG's rely more on FPS gameplay than on compelling stories. Which is a shame, given the great possibilities the Elder Scrolls lore offers. Skyrim's main appeal, on PC, comes from the modding possibilities and the total conversions. Enderal is a great TC mod. 

I think those 'outdated' games did a way better job. Modern variants such as Divinity: Original sin, Pillars of Eternity and Shadowrun give you a much better RPG experience.  Then, there's the Mass Effect series and the Witcher series. But those, too, focus more on action rather than story. 

For the retro lovers:  CrossCode is a great classic SNES styled RPG with modernised controls. 

PS: dark brotherhood is for lollygaggers.

PPS: Fallout 4 was alrightish. Mods make it better. 

Can't hear you over Tyranny, my dude.

Or Planescape; Torment.

Or Morrowind.

Or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Or Divinity: Original Sin.

Or Baldur's Gate, to be honest.

All the Shadowrun games out of Harebrained are boss tier.

Arguably Dark Souls?

I haven't played Witcher 3, but I hear good things.

I will take quality world-building, sophisticated narrative, and well-designed mechanics over MORE GRAPHICS, MORE LANDMASS, MORE MODERN. Skyrim isn't even the best TES game, which is really sad, but hey - it's waaaay better than Oblivion and isn't actually a bad game. 

Also South Park: Stick of Truth was pretty legit.

1st place: Chrono Trigger

2nd place: Diablo 2

Third Place: Witcher 3

Fourth: Skyrim

Personally, I think Skyrim is the best - but that's because of the modding support that came with it. I wouldn't go back to skyrim without mods - I couldn't.

The Witcher 3 was a fantastic game and had a fantastic world, but I'm not drawn back to it time and time again.

Personally, I think Divinity: Original Sin 2 will be incredible. The final package is being shipped with a storyteller/gm mode and map editor, so I can't wait to fuck around with the combat/spells system in some personalized campaigns (provided the map editor cooperates)

jeezum,

i forgot that fallout 4 was loathed by the community.

I seem to be the odd one out - though, I was someone who liked settlement building. Though at the same time, the same phrase applies - as wide as the ocean, as deep as a puddle. Disappointed that Beth didn't do more with settlements, because there was a lot of room for expanding on that. While many would disagree vehemently on this - I hope that settlements come back in the next Elder Scrolls game, but I hope that Bethesda expands on them so it actually means something to be the ruler of a town. Build houses, attract workers, assign blacksmiths and have them trained, have hunters and miners gather resources and engage in trade to bring your village coin, arm your forces and establish patrols in the surrounding area - that sort of thing. Hell, make your own coat of arms for your village and arrange defenses.

Fallout 4 is fun, but it kinda lacks replay value. I have to take a break from it and then play it sometime later to get that spark

as you can tell im a fan of the automation dlc but I felt all of the dlcs had more potential

Last edited by a moderator:
> Open thread.

> Control+f "Chrono Trigger".

Xenomorph wins. Pack it up folks, show's over.

That because you can't beat the best. Seriously I don't even play many RPGS and its my favorite game of all time! 

;^; you no like mechanist?

Fallout 4's quests were lackluster. Hell, the entire game was lackluster. It never really felt like your choice mattered all too much, the factions were just fetch and kill quests over and over and over again. RPG wise, it's one of the most casual Bethesda games I've ever seen. Becoming more and more like a normal first person shooter. There is no replayabilty at all, considering you can just keep going and going with quests that are immensely boring. Graphics were meh, but I don't hold that against it, gameplay is more in mind for me. If you compare Fallout 4 to Fallout New Vegas, you can see how much it does better than Fallout 4. With NV's ability to create your own character that doesn't go down a fixed path of going to war or being the wife to a man who went to war. Different builds you can choose. Huge ammount of story choices that ultimately change the ending game other than (Fallout 4 spoilers): 

Just nuke the institute or join the institute. 

So yeah, compared to the goldy video game that is NV, 4 was boring and I regret pre-ordering it. I vow to never pre-order again even when the company that's making the product I'm pre-ordering has a good reputation.

Fallout 4 was Fallout: The Theme Park. It was the naked contempt of executives expecting their idiot audience to slurp up the next wave of branded trash they manage to squeeze out of the devs reified into a huge, boring area with all the depth of a puddle and all the FALLOUT THINGS us stupid pigs love without any regard for why those were in earlier Fallout titles at all. HOLY SHIT, DEATHCLAWS AND BROTHERHOOD AGAIN YOU GUYS YOU FUCKING LOVE THEM DON'T YOU, YOU SCUM, GIVE US YOUR MONEY. 

Fallout 4's quests were lackluster. Hell, the entire game was lackluster. It never really felt like your choice mattered all too much, the factions were just fetch and kill quests over and over and over again. RPG wise, it's one of the most casual Bethesda games I've ever seen. Becoming more and more like a normal first person shooter. There is no replayabilty at all, considering you can just keep going and going with quests that are immensely boring. Graphics were meh, but I don't hold that against it, gameplay is more in mind for me. If you compare Fallout 4 to Fallout New Vegas, you can see how much it does better than Fallout 4. With NV's ability to create your own character that doesn't go down a fixed path of going to war or being the wife to a man who went to war. Different builds you can choose. Huge ammount of story choices that ultimately change the ending game other than (Fallout 4 spoilers): 

Just nuke the institute or join the institute. 

So yeah, compared to the goldy video game that is NV, 4 was boring and I regret pre-ordering it. I vow to never pre-order again even when the company that's making the product I'm pre-ordering has a good reputation.

Truth be told I didn't like NV that much. Hated the mapping, quests were meh as well as the factions, truth be told I didn't like any of the factions. But I loved the DLC, well honest hearts wasn't all that great but the others were awesome

@The Mechanist The setting was kinda boring and a little awkward to traverse, yeah. One of the pros of Fallout 4 was how cool it was to walk around and look at stuff. Doing the stuff... ehhh. Got bored.

What's wrong with NV's factions?

@The Mechanist The setting was kinda boring and a little awkward to traverse, yeah. One of the pros of Fallout 4 was how cool it was to walk around and look at stuff. Doing the stuff... ehhh. Got bored.

What's wrong with NV's factions?

Theyre cliche, got the overzealous good guys, NCR, the douchie bad guys, the legion, the biker gang with drugs, kahns, and then the smaller factions weren't even worth my effort. 

@The Mechanist Not sure if you looked into the NCR enough, they weren't 100% good guys. They kicked people out of their homes, putting more and more government regulations on the unsuspecting mojave, and were just very pushy. Yes, they were the good guys... but you had to accept their flaws overall. (partly why the independent route is so fun and my favorite). 

Bad guys are bad guys when it comes to the Legion, you have a point. It's still understandable to see from their point of view, however.

The biker gang was just plain interesting to me. Like native Americans mixed with biker gangs.

I just don't understand where you're coming from. And I liked the factions in Fallout 4, I really did... but choosing a faction had no significant effect... (fallout 4 spoil:)

unless you joined the institute 

And there was no freedom whatsoever. Can't kill Preston Garvey's fat annoying face when you see him right off the bat. No independent ending, just choose and get the same ending with different colored armor as you do it.

@The Mechanist Not sure if you looked into the NCR enough, they weren't 100% good guys. They kicked people out of their homes, putting more and more government regulations on the unsuspecting mojave, and were just very pushy. Yes, they were the good guys... but you had to accept their flaws overall. (partly why the independent route is so fun and my favorite). 

Bad guys are bad guys when it comes to the Legion, you have a point. It's still understandable to see from their point of view, however.

The biker gang was just plain interesting to me. Like native Americans mixed with biker gangs.

I just don't understand where you're coming from. And I liked the factions in Fallout 4, I really did... but choosing a faction had no significant effect... (fallout 4 spoil:)

unless you joined the institute 

And there was no freedom whatsoever. Can't kill Preston Garvey's fat annoying face when you see him right off the bat. No independent ending, just choose and get the same ending with different colored armor as you do it.

In all of the games, my only favorite faction was an independent new Vegas, oh and he bos from fallout 3, I really did like Lyons humanitarian view

@The Mechanist I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 too much either (I know, stone me and ostracize me)... but it was waaaaaaaaay better than Fallout 4. More RPG elements, more choices (except for the dumb ending AGAIN), and not many stupid kill and fetch quests. 

New Vegas is and always will be my favorite Fallout game (unless Black Isles gets their hands on Fallout 4's engine and makes another game like Vegas) I feel Black Isles really understands what makes a Fallout game great. This upsets me because I still haven't gotten to playing the original Fallouts (fallout 2's enclave sarge is hilarious, and all of those games are just riddled with decisions and fun).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back