• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Can You Save Me, Brother?

Should we add a simple 5-stat dice system to this RP?

• Yes, do it. The element of chance makes it more fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, dice make it too complicated, I'd rather just have a good story.

• Don't really care.

• Total voters
@Stickdom I wasn't saying that the programmable people would be able to do supernatural stuff or anything like that, I meant that they would be able to download and delete skills, memories, feelings, etc. So you could download the knowledge required to be a ninja. This is not to say you would be a ninja, your character may not have the muscle memory for it. But to download in that info you'd have to talk something out to make room for it. So, say, you take out the memory of your mother so you can download the instructions on how to make a nuclear bomb.

whitefoxkiller said:
@Stickdom I wasn't saying that the programmable people would be able to do supernatural stuff or anything like that, I meant that they would be able to download and delete skills, memories, feelings, etc. So you could download the knowledge required to be a ninja. This is not to say you would be a ninja, your character may not have the muscle memory for it. But to download in that info you'd have to talk something out to make room for it. So, say, you take out the memory of your mother so you can download the instructions on how to make a nuclear bomb.
Well, I don't think that technology would be available to a cyborg, since they are still technically human and that would conflict with their natural brain. It would be possible, but they would very quickly become unstable and mentally insane. If they used one-shot abilities (think Mega-man series, like inputting chips to gain a temporary ability that is used up/burnt out in the process), they could access these skills, but the data would be used up and then quickly burn itself out to protect their brain from conflicting information. This would also be really expensive, since the chips are hard to make and only a few people can create them without flaws reliably.

An android, on the other hand, is a robot that looks like a human, and since they are programmable anyway, that would be easy for them to do. The problem would be having the ability to encapsulate these skills and turning them into useable data that a machine could understand and use long term. It would be hard to code irrational human emotions or when to precisely use an ability, since robots use a "check-and-response" system that checks their stimuli before they act accordingly, and when is the appropriate moment to cry or laugh (you'd end up with a robot that chuckles at the worst possible moment when not appropriate because it couldn't think of anything else to do xD ) Technical data such as building a bomb would be easy to produce, but emulating natural data would be another matter.

So both sides have their up and down perks and flaws. I'd allow either path to be taken if you wanted to, but you'd also have to deal with the consequences as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, in that case I'll probably create an android character. I have another question though, how detailed to you want their bios to be?

I mean, do you want us to explain how our character was created?

whitefoxkiller said:
Cool, in that case I'll probably create an android character. I have another question though, how detailed to you want their bios to be?

I mean, do you want us to explain how our character was created?
If you're creating an android, then yes, I want some detail on how they were made, for what purpose, and by who. They can be from another planet if you want, but if they were made on Earth, remember that the technology is still not super-futuristic, they won't be SuperBot :3

Dagfinn said:
Haha, I might be in over my head. I'm not sure if I can join this.
Well, it doesn't have to be complicated, I was just going into super-fine detail so you guys knew what was allowed in the setting, you don't have to be quite as specific as I sound :)

So if it was an alien-made android where would you draw the line on what it could do. Like could it, say, have feelings and think or change shape?

I want to be up to your game level if I join in though! This is beauty, you don't want my rancid ass writing to ruin it. xD

whitefoxkiller said:
So if it was an alien-made android where would you draw the line on what it could do. Like could it, say, have feelings and think or change shape?
Hmmm, hard to say. For the sake of not making it the best possible overpowered character, it can have limited emotions, but that doesn't necessarily mean human ones, it was created on an alien planet after all. Changing into a few specific shapes would be possible, but its ability to do so would override its ability to use the memory-chip feature, you only get one or the other. Not both. If you can pitch me a good enough backstory, I'll think about giving it less restrictions, but I'm cautious of having too many "bonuses" on a character without "minuses" to balance it out.

Dagfinn said:
I want to be up to your game level if I join in though! This is beauty, you don't want my rancid ass writing to ruin it. xD
Aww, it can't be that bad, we're all here to have fun with a good story, in the end. Don't feel like you have to drop if you're not "as good" of a writer, we all have different styles, and we'd love to have yours added to the rest of the group.

One character idea that's been floating around in my head goes something along the lines of "Person trapped inside of a malfunctioning cybernetic-suit"

About character ideas again, just to be clear, the Banshees, Shadow People and stuff are NPCs? I'm really getting on board with the mad scientist idea I had in my head, so what could be his scientific field? Experiments on humans? Supernatural? Tyrannosaurus Rex?

On an aside, I don't know if this is doing more harm than good but @Dagfinn, I completely concur with Stickdom that you shouldn't have to drop just because you think you're not good enough at writing. Honestly, I was kind of hesitant for the exact same reason, so don't think you're alone! :)

Fredrik said:
One character idea that's been floating around in my head goes something along the lines of "Person trapped inside of a malfunctioning cybernetic-suit"
Seeing as most of humanity's recent technology is just recycled modern scrap, this could more than likely happen. I'd say go for it, and if there's anything that needs to be adjusted, I'll let you know :) on a side note, since it's a suit, your character could have separate powers from it, like elemental or something (which could be part of the reason the suit is malfunctioning), or you could have Cyber powers on top of the suit and use them to try to keep it in control.

AnimeliaAnimalia said:
About character ideas again, just to be clear, the Banshees, Shadow People and stuff are NPCs? I'm really getting on board with the mad scientist idea I had in my head, so what could be his scientific field? Experiments on humans? Supernatural? Tyrannosaurus Rex?
On an aside, I don't know if this is doing more harm than good but @Dagfinn, I completely concur with Stickdom that you shouldn't have to drop just because you think you're not good enough at writing. Honestly, I was kind of hesitant for the exact same reason, so don't think you're alone! :)
Yes, anything directly supernatural is considered an NPC, most likely a villain or neutral character, but if you happen to have paranormal powers, you have some influence over them, sometimes good, other times not so good. If you can connect with it spiritually, it can try to connect back, and you may not want whatever it is inside of your head :P

Scientific fields are wide open here, from studying the alien menace to trying to test the levels of paranormal activity, or maybe bringing back "ancient" technology that's been abandoned for about 100 years. It's a really broad field for science, there's so much to discover, and re-discover, since so much knowledge has been lost over time spent underground.

Last edited by a moderator:
A psychotic little girl who shares her body with a demented spirit that in turn grants her powers like control of shadows and the ability to create dark fire. I claim that character idea as mine, reserving that whole idea copyright registered trademark patent everything, nobody else gets it 'cause it's mine!

[QUOTE="Kiyoko Tomoe]A psychotic little girl who shares her body with a demented spirit that in turn grants her powers like control of shadows and the ability to create dark fire. I claim that character idea as mine, reserving that whole idea copyright registered trademark patent everything, nobody else gets it 'cause it's mine!

[/QUOTE]
Kinda reminds me of Ava's Demon

From this

AvaProfile.png

To this ( :P )
1466.png
Gah, I love Ava's Demon

Sorry, more questions. (':3) Under what category would pre-cognition, or post-cognition be under? We thinking Psionic? Or Paranormal? Unless they're not available in-universe.

I know you said that the characters would only have one power, but would an additional tiny, communication-like power be allowed? Like the psionic boy who can manipulate reality through photographs and see ghosts?

Also, what exactly happens when the aliens take over a corpse? Is this something we can go wild with in the RP? Or is it a spoiler?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSI1QsIo8g[/URL][/media]

Yeah, if you play a character that's shares a body with a twisted spirit, she's gonna have a bad time. On top of the issue of keeping her sanity, which she wouldn't, she'd technically be a bad guy since the dark spirits of that nature are in the army of zombie-ness. I don't want to shut your character down completely, since one of the "main characters" was also possessed, but his was by an alien parasite directly, and not one of the spirits of shadowy evilness. [/CENTER]

AnimeliaAnimalia said:
Sorry, more questions. (':3) Under what category would pre-cognition, or post-cognition be under? We thinking Psionic? Or Paranormal? Unless they're not available in-universe.
I know you said that the characters would only have one power, but would an additional tiny, communication-like power be allowed? Like the psionic boy who can manipulate reality through photographs and see ghosts?

Also, what exactly happens when the aliens take over a corpse? Is this something we can go wild with in the RP? Or is it a spoiler?
Cognition powers, both post and pre, would be psionic, since that is the mind's connection to the world. They're available, post-cognition would be relatively simple, since you only need to be around an object to post-cog its past. Pre-cognition on the other hand would be much higher level ability, since whatever you are sensing hasn't happened yet. Both are a thing, just on different levels.

When I said one power, I meant one "school" of power, like your character can choose between being Psionic, Paranormal, Cosmic, etc. You get all of the powers in that category, but some are much more advanced and harder to do. But, if you took Psionic, for example, you could eventually learn telekinesis, telepathy, cognitions, all of it, but it would take a long time and hard training to get there. Make sense now? :)

Annie! xD

Stickdom said:
Yeah, if you play a character that's shares a body with a twisted spirit, she's gonna have a bad time. On top of the issue of keeping her sanity, which she wouldn't, she'd technically be a bad guy since the dark spirits of that nature are in the army of zombie-ness. I don't want to shut your character down completely, since one of the "main characters" was also possessed, but his was by an alien parasite directly, and not one of the spirits of shadowy evilness.
First off, wouldn't be a bad time and issue of keeping sanity because she already has no sanity; hence being called psychotic. As for being a bad guy, I said demented spirit not evil spirit. Demented as in a huge one for messing with others and screwing things up, probably like a serious prankster kind of spirit that can't exactly do anything to the girl because anything done to the girl happens to the spirit as well, sort of like a connected spirit sort of thing. If you're saying I'd have to play a bad character if I wanna go with that idea on the other hand, I'd be all for it since psychotic characters are fun :x

[QUOTE="Kiyoko Tomoe]Annie! xD
First off, wouldn't be a bad time and issue of keeping sanity because she already has no sanity; hence being called psychotic. As for being a bad guy, I said demented spirit not evil spirit. Demented as in a huge one for messing with others and screwing things up, probably like a serious prankster kind of spirit that can't exactly do anything to the girl because anything done to the girl happens to the spirit as well, sort of like a connected spirit sort of thing. If you're saying I'd have to play a bad character if I wanna go with that idea on the other hand, I'd be all for it since psychotic characters are fun :x

[/QUOTE]
Well, I'm willing to give it a shot. To make it an even playing field, she doesn't have the power to control dark fire or manipulate shadows...yet..., but I'm going to assume she's going in the Paranormal field of abilities, seeing as her powers would stem from her spirit companion? As long as she can keep her mentality somewhat straightened out, she doesn't necessarily have to be a bad guy, but if the spirit takes total control, she's going to end up at odds with everyone else eventually, so she's gotta play it cool. The spirit can be a prankster poltergeist or malicious ne'er-do-well, but it's gotta remember that there are other Paranormals out there that can mess him up if he gets outta line xD

Stickdom said:
Well, I'm willing to give it a shot. To make it an even playing field, she doesn't have the power to control dark fire or manipulate shadows...yet..., but I'm going to assume she's going in the Paranormal field of abilities, seeing as her powers would stem from her spirit companion? As long as she can keep her mentality somewhat straightened out, she doesn't necessarily have to be a bad guy, but if the spirit takes total control, she's going to end up at odds with everyone else eventually, so she's gotta play it cool. The spirit can be a prankster poltergeist or malicious ne'er-do-well, but it's gotta remember that there are other Paranormals out there that can mess him up if he gets outta line xD
Stick, I think you have ESP... Yes, they'd stem from her spirit companion. Also, she'd seem like a normal child in a normal setting, though tends to have psychotic outbursts such as going all weird and cheerful upon seeing some zombie-thingy's head blow off, or dance around a puddle of blood/a corpse, stuff like that X3

Also, spirit would know to keep in line with powerful stuff given that it's, well, weak enough on its' own that it has to cling to the little girl to actually live. I'd guess that its' powers when channeled through the girl though, would be on par with the powers of other humans and such with paranormal powers should the girl receive proper training of some sort.

[QUOTE="Kiyoko Tomoe]Stick, I think you have ESP... Yes, they'd stem from her spirit companion. Also, she'd seem like a normal child in a normal setting, though tends to have psychotic outbursts such as going all weird and cheerful upon seeing some zombie-thingy's head blow off, or dance around a puddle of blood/a corpse, stuff like that X3

[/QUOTE]
Ok, then that's totally acceptable. You can have your crazed little girl character (heaven help us all), but I expect details in her bio as to how she managed to get control of a spirit that possessed her.

RP Update: Still working on editing the overview, it was so big and blocky, I'm redoing it now. I'll have the CS page up shortly, so everyone have a character in mind and maybe PM me their basic concept so I can look them over? I just wanna iron out any details to make sure they fit in the setting, I'm not going to rewrite your character for you, I promise :3

Thanks for clearing up the thing about powers, that makes more sense now :)

Ah, but I'm still curious about the aliens.

AnimeliaAnimalia said:

Hey guys, I'm going to put a poll up on this thread, what would you say if I put in a super-simple dice system to gauge success and failure for tasks. It won't be anywhere as in-depth as, say, D&D or Pathfinder, just a handful of stats and dice rolls to determine chance-to-hit or success on a luck-based or skill-based level. That way everyone has the same amount of just enough chance to be super-cool or super-dead xD

It sounds like a pretty good idea, but I have virtually no experience in dice games, so I'll probably need some hand-holding if this becomes a feature (> :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back