• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Can You Save Me, Brother?

Should we add a simple 5-stat dice system to this RP?

• Yes, do it. The element of chance makes it more fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, dice make it too complicated, I'd rather just have a good story.

• Don't really care.

• Total voters

Stickdom

I’m a fixer. I fix broken things. It’s what I do.
"What's this, Stick? A music video?" Yes. Yes it is. Watch it. "Why is it here?" Well, I'm so glad you asked. It just happens to be the inspiration for my latest RP idea. So sit tight and prep for a crazy ride.

~ Earth; 2015, One-Hundred-and-Fifty Years Ago ~
2mBbUD8.gif
A lone astronaut pilots a rocket out into space to investigate an anomaly in the intergalactic distance. His radios turn to static, an alarming message flashes on his display as a gash in space-time opens, and he catches a glimpse of an alien being coming out through it. Moments later, he is traveling through this rift, time and space distorting around him, until he arrives... at exactly the same place. But something is different now. He pilots his craft back to Earth to discover that the human race has been all but destroyed, the remnants in hiding for almost a century and a half, replaced by the supernatural alien race that was unleashed from the void, inhabiting humanity's corpses. Before giving himself up for lost, an eldritch alien comes to his aid, fighting off hordes of the skeletal invaders and offers to assist him in retaking the planet. the astronaut thinks back to the meaning of the strange alert that filled the screen of his helmet before this all happened:

"Can you save me, brother?"

Clip-Stuck-In-The-Sound-Brother.jpg

"Whoa, Stick, what the heck was that?!" Yeah, pretty cool, huh? In this RP, you'll be playing against the world, trying to win it back for humanity. A lot of genres clash here, part sci-fi shoot-em-up, part paranormal investigation and extermination, part mystery thriller. The supernatural is just as prominent as the extraterrestrial, so there will be a variety of powers, abilities, and character ideas that can be accepted into this setting.

Features

So, as you can see, it takes all types, and I'm sure you guys will have many more to throw at me. I'll come up with a list of "approved" powers at some point, but you are free to request your own abilities and character concepts outside of the (para)normal. If they are detailed and original, I'll more than likely accept them, or at least give some tips how you could tweak it to make it acceptable. As a note, all characters in the video will be NPCs, and are not able to be playable characters. You can interact with them as much as you wish, but they have specific roles to fill beyond post-to-post play.

But, the real icing on the cake is how open the world is: A plot where the Earth has pretty much been taken over by space zombies (so original, right?), the supernatural is now just as frequent as the natural, and what tiny fragment remains of humanity have been hiding underground, waiting for the time to fight back. Technologically, the human race have made very few advances in the scientific fields, due to not having the security to freely walk the surface, so all technology is only slightly more advanced than present day reality. You can explore ruined cities on a hunt for useful supplies, investigate the invaders and their purposes, or even simply try to live as normal a life as possible, if you wish. Variety is the spice of life, and the more the merrier.

Requirements

Now, before you get all twisted, these aren't that strict or even taxing, just some guidelines to make the RP more enjoyable.

• Detailed posts of at least a paragraph, quality over quantity. Grammar is lenient, we all misspell words from time to time, so I don't expect perfection, (though it is appreciated when the extra effort is given to make posts clear and understandable).
  • Characters must "play well with others". This doesn't mean that you have to get along with every character, but we all dislike that one character who sits in the corner by themself, looking all death-and-gloom, and then complains that no one has talked to them yet. Be as interactive as possible, give other players something to build off of.
  • Constructive creativity is required, you all will be creating a large portion of the plot as you go, so feel free to shout out ideas in the OOC or encourage another's ideas. Not all ideas are great ones, but don't bash one that doesn't fit your ideas. Suggest alternatives instead.

So, that's about it for now, any other necessaries can be added in later on.

Most of all, this RP is about fun and wacky interdimensional adventures and blowing up horde upon horde of cosmic zombie alien spawn to win back the Earth. So, who wants to save the world? :)

Last edited:
Hey you made me be not lazy, that's an accomplishment all on it's own. I'm interested.

You have an [/imagefloat] at the end that's showing, might want to fix that

So, guys, just out of interest, what are some features you guys wanna see in this RP? I'm still fleshing out a character sheet and what it entails, I wanna see if I'm missing anything that you guys would think is important. Let's get some noise in here, get some ideas floating. Anyone got ideas for powers, alien races, plot devices, anything at all you wanna see in this? It's pretty open-world and there's still plenty of room for bonus features.

@Dagfinn @The Suspicious Eye @Somnio @AnimeliaAnimalia

Stickdom said:
So, guys, just out of interest, what are some features you guys wanna see in this RP? I'm still fleshing out a character sheet and what it entails, I wanna see if I'm missing anything that you guys would think is important. Let's get some noise in here, get some ideas floating. Anyone got ideas for powers, alien races, plot devices, anything at all you wanna see in this? It's pretty open-world and there's still plenty of room for bonus features.
Just because I wanna contribute, perhaps implement time in some way? Not as in like a day/night cycle kind of time thing or time limits, but rather like make use of past events and such, like flashbacks or perhaps something like a visual projection of past events, something for characters to see and know just what actually happened in the past...? :x

[QUOTE="Kiyoko Tomoe]Just because I wanna contribute, perhaps implement time in some way? Not as in like a day/night cycle kind of time thing or time limits, but rather like make use of past events and such, like flashbacks or perhaps something like a visual projection of past events, something for characters to see and know just what actually happened in the past...? :x

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I actually had something like that in mind already, there'd be some time/space travel involved, if the characters decided to go that route. Still, good call, I might actually put an overall timer on it though, like you said, day/night, make it interesting that the characters have to keep up with the literal clock as well.

But, I think I was looking more for features that would be inherent to the characters themselves, what items do you guys want to see on the character sheets besides the usual "What's your eye and hair colour?" stuff. I'm sure you guys have ideas for powers you want and ways to use them, gimme some ideas what you guys are thinking and I'll see about fitting them into the setting :)

I'm making a list right now in more detail, but overall I have categories that special abilities would fit under, with more on the way if I can think of them:

• Psionic: Mind powers, abilities stemming from the users intelligence and mental capacities. Telekinesis and telepathy are only the most basic powers you can achieve with this gift.
  • Paranormal: These abilities have to do with accessing the spiritual world, often tied directly to the energies of life and death and piercing the veil between them.
  • Hypernatural: Take what is already given in the "real" world and alter them, changing the way reality works. Limited control of gravity and the flow of time are within reach.
  • Cosmic: Powers granted by the aether of space itself, walking between worlds and harnessing fragments of a limitless and infinitely expanding universe.
  • Elemental: Domination over a specific set of elements of nature, calling them forth from existing sources or, at full mastery, calling it into existence from nothing.
  • Innate: These powers enhance a person based on what they are, hypersensitive reflexes, incredible acrobatics, keen senses, and more physical traits are affected.

So, what do you guys think? These are just broad categories and I'll probably have each character specialize in a single one, no refunds, no exchanges, but they can increase in that field as they grow I may even add sub-fields to them if you guys can get super-creative with them and have a lot of content to add. Have at it, give me as much as you guys can think of, and I'll see about putting them all into the setting if at all possible :)

Well, currently just an idea in my mind, but perhaps some kind of body manipulation, such as able to stretch limbs or perhaps harden and shape skin, etc? Just a quick throw-out idea, probably a sub-section of innate; or perhaps its own section if not quite what innate is? :x

Also, like the list you currently have. I mean, I see a name or two that could be changed to something better, but dunno what they'd be changed to. Anyway, I'm off for the night soo... Bai stick and Suki and three peoples I don't know! X3

Stickdom said:
@Dagfinn @The Suspicious Eye @Somnio @AnimeliaAnimalia
I'm especially intrigued by having various other races play a part in this RP. Love the idea of a multitude of alien species.

I'm thinking maybe some sort of alien scavengers or something? Like, creatures who feed of off some form of human waste(metal, nuclear, toxins, anything really) and are rampant on earth now that humans are rare. I'm not a stickler for design, but the form in my head is like, some sort of gremlin-looking creature.

If that doesn't sound appealing, maybe some sort of rare alien race that has been victim to the parasites in the past? Like, their race was wiped out by the parasites and only a handful of survivors have made it. Maybe four or five have decided to travel to Earth to get revenge?

Also, since paranormal is part of this RP, what are your thoughts on having mythical "creatures" be a part of the RP? What about real life animals, or maybe extinct creatures?

AnimeliaAnimalia said:
I'm especially intrigued by having various other races play a part in this RP. Love the idea of a multitude of alien species.
I'm thinking maybe some sort of alien scavengers or something? Like, creatures who feed of off some form of human waste(metal, nuclear, toxins, anything really) and are rampant on earth now that humans are rare. I'm not a stickler for design, but the form in my head is like, some sort of gremlin-looking creature.
There'd probably be a few scroungers looking for scraps of human civilization, but it would mostly be the equivalent of digging around an ancient trash dump for them, they wouldn't exactly be going there on holiday, for sure. Seeing as humans were pretty much left alone by the rest of the universe until this alien invasion, there really wouldn't be many other races coming here unless they had a purpose.

AnimeliaAnimalia said:
If that doesn't sound appealing, maybe some sort of rare alien race that has been victim to the parasites in the past? Like, their race was wiped out by the parasites and only a handful of survivors have made it. Maybe four or five have decided to travel to Earth to get revenge?
Well, our very own Cephaloid friend would be one of those, and if he arrived, I'm sure there would be a few others too, though I'm not going to allow every single player to be an alien, I'm looking for some surviving humans too.

AnimeliaAnimalia said:
Also, since paranormal is part of this RP, what are your thoughts on having mythical "creatures" be a part of the RP? What about real life animals, or maybe extinct creatures?
Real life creatures, yes, but most have probably been influenced by the radiation and paranormal presence too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some rather bizarre adaptations of real-life creatures. I don't see how extinct creatures would come into it, though I must admit seeing a Tyrannosaurus Rex fossil with alien zombie tentacles growing out of it would be both frightening and yet somehow appropriate, I think. But as far as mythical creatures, there wouldn't be any dragons or unicorns, at least.

The Tyrannosaurus Rex fossil sounds really cool, but I was thinking along the lines of like, The Grim Reaper, or Shadow People or something.

So not unless for a good reason huh? Hmmm, what about an alien who has hopes of becoming Earth's hero by defeating the zombies?

Also, this really made me think of a mad scientist character lol. Just a sidenote.

AnimeliaAnimalia said:
The Tyrannosaurus Rex fossil sounds really cool, but I was thinking along the lines of like, The Grim Reaper, or Shadow People or something.
Ah, stuff like that would probably be reserved for the "bad guys", I don't see a literal Grim Reaper coming into this, but shadow people, ghosts, banshees, stuff like that is a definite.

AnimeliaAnimalia said:
So not unless for a good reason huh? Hmmm, what about an alien who has hopes of becoming Earth's hero by defeating the zombies?
I think that counts as a reason. Now, the tricky part would be "why" s/he wants to be Earth's hero, since Earth hasn't really done anything in the galactic community. It was kinda like there was a treaty between all the galaxies and at the bottom it was like "And just don't mess with Earth, they won't last a million years on their own, let alone with aliens getting involved in their fragile lives." Aaaand then that got broken by the invading zombie aliens for some dark and unknown purpose. Muahahaha, the plot thickens...

AnimeliaAnimalia said:
Also, this really made me think of a mad scientist character lol. Just a sidenote.
Totally and absolutely acceptable, I was actually hoping for one of those myself :3

Ah, I'm gonna be logging off soon as well, but about the "hero-hopeful" alien, maybe s/he considers it a big, difficult task to save the weak, disease prone, die-within-eight-decades humans from a much more advanced species. Hence, if it was somewhat difficult, it could possibly give him/her fame around the galaxy.

Alrighty then :D I hope to have this RP up and running in about a week, give or take a few days, all depends on how much you guys want to see added onto this. Nice to see some genuine interest, hope we can keep the creativity rolling ^_^

This Idea is so awesome. I am very, very in.

Stickdom said:
Yeah, I actually had something like that in mind already, there'd be some time/space travel involved, if the characters decided to go that route. Still, good call, I might actually put an overall timer on it though, like you said, day/night, make it interesting that the characters have to keep up with the literal clock as well.
But, I think I was looking more for features that would be inherent to the characters themselves, what items do you guys want to see on the character sheets besides the usual "What's your eye and hair colour?" stuff. I'm sure you guys have ideas for powers you want and ways to use them, gimme some ideas what you guys are thinking and I'll see about fitting them into the setting :)

I'm making a list right now in more detail, but overall I have categories that special abilities would fit under, with more on the way if I can think of them:

• Psionic: Mind powers, abilities stemming from the users intelligence and mental capacities. Telekinesis and telepathy are only the most basic powers you can achieve with this gift.
  • Paranormal: These abilities have to do with accessing the spiritual world, often tied directly to the energies of life and death and piercing the veil between them.
  • Hypernatural: Take what is already given in the "real" world and alter them, changing the way reality works. Limited control of gravity and the flow of time are within reach.
  • Cosmic: Powers granted by the aether of space itself, walking between worlds and harnessing fragments of a limitless and infinitely expanding universe.
  • Elemental: Domination over a specific set of elements of nature, calling them forth from existing sources or, at full mastery, calling it into existence from nothing.
  • Innate: These powers enhance a person based on what they are, hypersensitive reflexes, incredible acrobatics, keen senses, and more physical traits are affected.

So, what do you guys think? These are just broad categories and I'll probably have each character specialize in a single one, no refunds, no exchanges, but they can increase in that field as they grow I may even add sub-fields to them if you guys can get super-creative with them and have a lot of content to add. Have at it, give me as much as you guys can think of, and I'll see about putting them all into the setting if at all possible :)
OOh what about powers related to technology, like someone has been genetically/physical altered to have special abilities. Would that go under Innate? Because I was thinking of sort of programmable people. People who can put skills into their brain and take things out (mercy) at will with something as simple as a flash drive. (If anyone is saying to themselves that this is really familiar than it probably is, got the idea from Joss Whedon's Dollhouse.) Or you could have androids or cyborgs or something?

I was thinking that if the aliens who came were advanced enough, they bred a whole lot of cyborg humans to do slave labor for them? But I'm not sure how advanced you guys were thinking the original aliens were (also I really like Stuck In The Sound, they remind me of The Gorillaz, thanks for introducing them to us!)

I'm in!

Also, perhaps there could be a category of skills from body mods (bionic arm, laser eyes, that kind of thing). If there's such a thing as cyborgs.

Fredrik said:
I'm in!
Also, perhaps there could be a category of skills from body mods (bionic arm, laser eyes, that kind of thing). If there's such a thing as cyborgs.
whitefoxkiller said:
This Idea is so awesome. I am very, very in.

OOh what about powers related to technology, like someone has been genetically/physical altered to have special abilities. Would that go under Innate? Because I was thinking of sort of programmable people. People who can put skills into their brain and take things out (mercy) at will with something as simple as a flash drive. (If anyone is saying to themselves that this is really familiar than it probably is, got the idea from Joss Whedon's Dollhouse.) Or you could have androids or cyborgs or something?

I was thinking that if the aliens who came were advanced enough, they bred a whole lot of cyborg humans to do slave labor for them? But I'm not sure how advanced you guys were thinking the original aliens were (also I really like Stuck In The Sound, they remind me of The Gorillaz, thanks for introducing them to us!)
Hooray for more friends :D so, cyber powers were next on my list, though just how to implement them I wasn't sure. And having altered bodies would be under Innate powers, yes, because they are abilities related to something already in the physical body, not taken from an outside source like spiritual frequencies or mental psycho powers. Programming them to be able to change powers would be nearly impossible, since each person can sync up with only one type of power at most (I.e. Someone with Innate powers isn't going to be able to access Cosmic or Psionic powers, they are not compatible in the same body.) and just because your parents had a power doesn't mean it will pass on, it's personal to each individual and is never the same between two individuals.

As for the aliens breeding cyborg-slaves, remember that the aliens came to earth, killed most of the population (though HOW they did it will be a mystery/forgotten for now, that's a spoiler :3), and then infested the fallen bodies as hosts for themselves, so I guess they've technically already taken the majority of the human race into captivity, they're just already dead.

I realize I forgot to answer the Cyborg/Android question directly. Cyborgs are human with technological implants, so they would be automatically assigned the Cyber powers, able to connect to the invisible frequency networks, access what few satellite and radio frequencies are still active, interface with robotics and technology, stuff like that. As far as combat, their powers are actually pretty dumpy, since they can't affect the physical world directly (at least on a large enough scale to have immediate results), but a creative Cyborg can use their abilities to their advantage, hacking security systems to protect themselves or overriding some murder-bot sent to kill the group, so it all really depends on how you play them, really.

RP update: I'm putting together the CS page now, with basic info each character will need, and then I'll write up an overview.

Public Challenge: pitch me some character ideas you guys would be interested in playing.

If you want an alien species, why do they want to be here on Earth, and why Earth in the first place? How did they get here, space ship, time warp, "magic", time warp (again)? What are their capabilities?

If you're looking at a human-survivor character, remember that science is still fairly "modern day", we don't really have laser guns or robot armies, just what little pieces of broken technology you can scrape off the ruins and bring back to your base, wherever that is. How did you survive? Were you blessed with powers or have you survived simply by blood, sweat, and tears? Are you hunting the zombie aliens or simply living on the run?

Just some character idea sparkers, please keep asking any questions you have, I want making your character to be fun and not some crazy complicated confusing mess. I'd love to see what you guys come up with.

@Dagfinn @The Suspicious Eye @Somnio @AnimeliaAnimalia @Kiyoko Tomoe @whitefoxkiller @Fredrik

[QUOTE="The Suspicious Eye]So how do all these people from all these planets, worlds, and ethereal planes get together?

[/QUOTE]
Aha, that will be explained in-story, I already have it planned out, don't fret your little head ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back