• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Blodsvept, Troll Hunters

Tzun

Lord of the Dreadfort
The basis that I have set up for this so far is basically along the lines of, in a fantasy world, there are settlements that have just started to appear in the North, and with them, massive reports from locals that claim there are large furred beasts that hulk around, and ravage the people that have taken residence there. None in the South have believed any of the reports, that was, until large, disembodied hands and feet and heads all were brought to the lords of the land, and showed them the devastation that has been wrought by these beasts. While you have grown up in the South, there are now bounties placed on certain named trolls and their tribes. You take up the offer, and set out for the North, to take down these monsters and collect the bounding amounts of money offered for them to be ridden, the lords of the land paying handsomely, this is not something that can be refused.

I wanted to keep a sort of Netherlands feel to it, very cold and icy, but plenty of mountain ranges, caves, and a few settlements along the way that can be stayed and and where the players can gather themselves and gear with the money that they earn from slaying these beasts. There is a bit of a dynamic plot to it, but I don't want to give it away just yet, but there will be plenty of varying situations in which the characters will engage, not just the random combats.

Is anyone interested in giving this a shot? If there are any questions, please ask, it will most likely help me develop the plot in places where I have yet to think about.

Is there any sort of magic? Or is it Viking weapons only (swords, axes, maces, etc)?

If there is magic, what sort would you be interested in adding?

Is there any level of expertise you would like before someone joins this role play? Such as, knowledge of Viking warfare, or what trolls are like, even role playing ability, etc.

I like this idea. :)

I'd say yes, as some of the trolls themselves will be able to use magic as well, so feel free to use it.

Sweetness. I'm gonna wait a little bit to see if we get another person, in the mean time, I'll work on making a mockup of the rp.

May I join?

And I have one question : Are we limited to only humans and trolls? or could we RP as other creatures?

I'm actually keeping it strictly humanoid, none would be rping as the trolls themselves.

Sorry, I've had several bad experiences where when I have labeled something fantasy, and as a tabletop gamer, I interpret it as I will, and people seem to think that it means anime, and have gone full vampire-werewolf whatever and turned it into something unfavorable, so I just tend to stray away from that.

Oh, its okay. I'm a gamer too, and when I hear 'Fantasy' I think of LOL and DOTA for some reasons, never anime.

I gotcha, I'm one of those true Gygaxian kinda guys, even LoL and DoTA are pretty high fantasy for me.

Depends on what you mean. It's definitely going to be Nordic (Not like the Nords in TES). More akin to Norwegian folklore.

Neither. This is completely unrelated to Skyrim or any of the locations, and the spells are still to be determined, as I am somewhat iffy on the idea of magic still, perhaps a form of Oracle instead of a mage.

More likely similar to beyond the wall in Game of Thrones. Skyrim terrain is too vague to necessarily give you a straight answer.

When I asked about magic, I wasn't really thinking along the lines of fire balls or moving giant rocks down the mountain. I was thinking more of a Shaman. Men/women who commune with the elements and spirits they may encounter to effect the world around them.

For instance, while everyone is climbing a mountain, the group comes to a fork in the road. Not wanting to split up and half their chances of survival, they ask the Shaman for guidance. He agrees, confident in his abilities at the current moment. He sits, and begins to commune with the spirits. He speaks with the earth and the wind elements first, not in a way with words or thoughts, but with feelings, desires, images, experiences, etc. The wind spirits tell him that the right path will make it so that the wind will be to their faces, making their trek slower, and the path to the left will have the wind to their backs, making their trek easier. The earth spirits tell him that the path on the right is more sturdy, and has a slightly wider path, while the path to the left is a little more unpredictable, and slightly more narrow, meaning they would have to go one by one.

Then he seeks the spirits of the dead. There aren't many, but there are a few. The language of the dead is much different than the language of the elemental spirits. Words and thoughts can be used, as well as experiences, images, and feelings. Sometimes a mixture of the two. Over half of the spirits say that the way to the right is more dangerous. Heavy winds came upon them, and several of them were pushed off the path, down to the rocky bottom of the mountain. Some say that the left is more dangerous, because heavy rain sometimes falls upon the mountain, and the narrow path becomes slippery, and some fall off.

... And/or ...

The Shaman communes with the dead, and gives them the ability to come alive for a short time. Their ethereal bodies become solid, and they can fight for a short while, but need the Shaman's assistance to gain this new form, leaving the Shaman completely vulnerable to all forms of attack.

The Shaman can also commune with the elemental spirits to make the ground shake so the enemy's feet are unstable, or raise the speed of the winds in their favor to make the enemy's movements slower, or if it has rained, the Shaman can use a mixture, and make the wind cold so the rain feels even colder.

... Just some thoughts.

So it would be pretty similar to an Oracle or a Warlock. Oracles are more of a 'divine mystery' type, where they have a debilitating effect placed on them, but is made up for in additional skill in casting magics. A warlock, on the other hand, is more about like, blade, book, and chain, the opposite of the Oracle. Very unholy and more based around things like sacrificial pacts and the like.

Well, speaking literally, no. Oracles are almost always known as being seers or wise men. I don't know of any culture or game where they aren't, though I also don't play a lot of games. Warlocks are mostly unholy, yes. They deal a lot with the dark arts, whereas Shamans are more in tune with elements and sometimes spirits.

EDIT: Obviously, of course, it is Fantasy, and open for interpretation.

Although the gods work through many agents, perhaps none is more mysterious than the oracle. These divine vessels are granted power without their choice, selected by providence to wield powers that even they do not fully understand. Unlike a cleric, who draws her magic through devotion to a deity, oracles garner strength and power from many sources, namely those patron deities who support their ideals. Instead of worshiping a single source, oracles tend to venerate all of the gods that share their beliefs. While some see the powers of the oracle as a gift, others view them as a curse, changing the life of the chosen in unforeseen ways.

It seemed as though you were less so referencing things like the elements, as in your not meaning fireballs and rock slides and such, which is best, as I feel like mortals are strong enough to be vessels for casting spells, but regard a higher force instead. Both the Warlock and the Oracle would do the same thing as you noted, speaking with spirits and finding clairvoyance through communing with a deity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back