• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

BBC Sherlock: A Good Neighbor

He watched her panic with a slight amusement. "You know, there's no other alternative. You can't get out that way without my help. Don't make me carry you up the ladder. It surely will creek under us. Or worse. Like perhaps break." He said watching her turn around as he raised an eye brow. She was panicked.

"Ah." He said as he rolled his eyes slightly at her.

"An irrational fear of heights. Lovely." He stated before laughing softly and turning her back around. "Olivia. Please climb the ladder. The alternative is not one you want to happen." He said in a low husky voice. "Come on love. One step after another. It won't break. John and I have climbed it at once before. You are perfectly safe. Just look at the window and climb up to it. You. Are. Safe." He repeated as he put a hand on her side, coaxing her up one rung as he bit his lip. Phobias always baffled him, he had spent many hours with people trying to get them over their fears, but to no avail. That was just something that science couldn't fix.

"Sherlock, you ass. Don't laugh. It's not funny." She pouts slightly, genuinely upset at his laughter, before getting spun around. Deciding to not voice her discontent about his laughter, she begins her slow climb up. "I don't know why you had to drag me along. You could have done this without me." She inhales deeply and focuses her gaze on the window, muttering about how ridiculous this is before cutting herself off as she realized she was probably irritating the hell out of him. Complaining about the situation made it easier to focus on just climbing and not realizing just how far off the ground she was.

She finally makes it to the window after a painfully slow climb. "Should I do some emotional preparation before I go inside? Like brace myself for explosives or dismembered bodies?" She glances back to him to deliver her joke, but quickly turns back to face the window and covers her eyes. "Bad choice. I make a lot of bad choices, don't I? I'm an idiot. Well, you already knew that. Christ." She opens her eyes quickly, climbing inside, Just as she was about to drop to the floor and thank the heavens for the inventor of floors, she realizes the he still needed to climb up. Leaning out the window and steadying the ladder, she closes her eyes again. "If you laugh again, I will push this ladder over." She says as teasingly and coolly as she can manage with her eyes shut so she can't see the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Actually. I cannot do this without someone's help. Because in order to open the window, I have to wiggle around a bit, and without someone steadying the ladder, I'd fall and hurt myself. Speaking from experience here." He said as he watched her climb up before smirking at her cute anger. Watching her practically scold herself for looking down, he had to hide his laughter. "Bad decisions and being an idiot do not correlate with each other. I do not consider you an idiot." He stated, making sure she was safely inside before climbing his was back up the ladder, letting her steady him as he smiled gently.

Watching her eyes clenched shut as he rolled his eyes. "I won't laugh." He stated, pushing her back inside gently, so he could climb inside before knocking over the ladder to hide it and shutting the window. "See. You didn't fall and now you're safe." He said grinning at himself for following through with his promise. Leaning down as he grabbed his shirt and pulled it back on, buttoning it up before leading her to the door of his room. John was pouting with a cup of tea as Sherlock grinned at him. "Hello John." He said in his deepest voice possible to scare him. John jumped and began to open his mouth to question him before Sherlock had wrapped his arm around Olivia, pulling her into his side and revealing her to John. "I have a little minx who helped me inside." He said before leading her to the table. "Would you like some tea? Or would you just like some sleep?" Sherlock asked her.

"I didn't volunteer for it, John. I got blackmailed. As you can see, I was clearly not planning on adventuring any time soon." Olivia raises her hands defensively with a soft chuckle before glancing over at Sherlock. "I'll have some tea, I suppose. I don't think I'll be getting to sleep any time soon. If, of course, my presence doesn't offend your dear friend, John." If it had been anyone else on the planet that she had appeared with out of their bedroom, she would have been scrambling to explain that it wasn't what it looked like and blah, blah, blah. It took her a moment to realize that Sherlock's arm was still around her. She had the sudden urge to lean into him...

But, she instead pulls away and takes seat, flashing a smile to John. If Sherlock wasn't Sherlock, she would have concluded that he was totally into her after tonight's events. But, he was Sherlock. So, the kindness and nicknames and shirtlessness all added up to nothing in her book, or so her conscious mind told her. Her subconscious was having a heyday trying to sort through all the subconscious messages sent and received over the course of the night. She finds herself staring at Sherlock in a bit of a daze, which she quickly breaks as it occurs to her and hopes he didn't notice.

John was muttering to himself about how dumb he was and how dumb Sherlock was, and how Olivia shouldn't get involved in either of them because Sherlock was crazy and would ruin her life and make her shout at 2 AM about not making explosives in the kitchen. Sherlock began preparing tea as he smirked slightly at John. Sherlock thoroughly enjoyed messing with John. It was one of his favorite hobbies. Smirking slightly as he handed Olivia a cup and set cream and sugar on the table in case she wanted either of them before he sat back in his own seat.

His mind wandering before John sighed angrily. "Sherlock, if you're going to be a good host, you need to interact with your guest." Sherlock glanced over at Olivia before looking back at John. "Why? She seems perfectly happy?" He asked as John scoffed in anger before beginning to massage his temples. "Actually. I'm not in the mood for tea. I think I'll go to bed." He said, feeling suddenly tired as he stood up. "Good night Olivia. Try to get some sleep tonight. No violins for you." He state with a smile before going into his room as he shut the door. John groaned at Sherlock. "I'm going to bloody murder him." He said shaking his head. "I apologize for my flat mate. He is growing more and more insane with each passing day."

She grins at the pair, scrunching up her nose as she laughs. "It's refreshing. Sanity grows quite dull, doesn't it? I mean, how are you supposed to climb a ladder without a panic attack and learn that you love the violin without the spontaneity that comes with insanity?" She chuckles as she mixes some sugar into her tea at the realization that what she just said probably sounded entirely bonkers to John. Sighing happily, she glances to the shut door of Sherlock's room. "There's something about him, isn't there, John? Just... something." She sips her tea idly with a small smile as she stares at his door.

She finally sets her cup down for a moment, turning her attention to John. "I'm sure Sherlock's a lot more fun from the outsider perspective. How are you, John? I feel like we haven't chatted in ages." She sits back in the chair, crossing her legs and running a hand through her hair. "Oh, I should probably apologize for my less than appropriate appearance. Like I said, I was kidnapped against my will." She grins at him before it hit her that it wasn't a normal hour for a chat. "I can go if you'd like to get some sleep. I can only imagine that living with Sherlock is like living with a toddler that's too smart for his own good."

John watched her in silence babbling happily about Sherlock as he raised an eye brow. She seemed too calm for getting abducted by Sherlock to hold a ladder. And apparently she was afraid of heights. Even better. He shook his head as he laughed gently. "You are rather odd." He murmured as he yawned and stretched a bit. His inclinations were right, no sane girl stared at Sherlock that way. And he knew she was sane. The only logical explanation was they had done something else than just climb in through a window together. Perhaps Olivia had climbed into bed with Sherlock. She was only in an oversized jumper for heaven's sake.

"I'm fine. Just extremely tired because Sherlock is being a pain again." He said shaking his head as he stood up. "I think we should catch up some other time. I hate to just boot you, but I need sleep. I have work tomorrow morning." He said, helping Olivia up as he yawned again. "Perhaps we can get a cup of tea soon so we can catch up." He suggested, walking her to the door before telling her goodnight and heading to his own room to get some much needed shut eye. Shaking his head at his flat mate and his neighbor.

"Oh, don't worry about it. Sleep seems like it's a rare thing around here. And, I'd love to grab a cuppa with you sometime. Goodnight, John." She smiles and gives him half a wave before heading down the stairs into her flat and flopping on the bed. What a stupid night. What a stupid reason to be so giddy. She rolls onto her side, humming one of Sherlock's favorite melodies to play. For whatever strange reason, she wanted more of her nights to be this silly and stupid and spontaneous.

She had decided that Sherlock Holmes was a far better man than most made him out to be. Despite his sociopathic tendencies, the two of them had a fun venture breaking into his own flat. Her mind reels with the possible adventures that they could have in the future, but exhaustion soon takes over. Her humming slowly drops off into silence and she herself eventually drifts off to sleep.

Sherlock laid in his bed. Staring up at the ceiling as he left his mind to drift. He grew increasingly silent over the next two days, though John didn't mind too much. Sherlock had done this once before in which he was just quiet which allowed him to ponder things. John just left him alone, he had learned trying to communicate with him resulted in either silence or a harsh insult. Neither of the two were enjoyable, so John just ignored him. What Sherlock was just thinking about was the map, which had been bothering him for the last two days, and was beginning to get on his nerves.

Sherlock stood in the window, staring out at the street for a few hours before pulling out his stand and violin. John sat reading the paper as he listened to Sherlock begin to compose music, John found it rather soothing, and had grown to enjoy listening to Sherlock. He rarely composed during the day. The music he was writing was fast paced and had a quick tempo, suggesting that Sherlock wasn't sad, just thinking. Sherlock hadn't left the apartment since Olivia had come over, John had however. Many times for food, work, a date, and to get some fresh air. Yes. Sherlock had counted.

The silence in 221B, though it wasn't too uncommon, was unsettling. It left Olivia with nothing to do, no conversations to eavesdrop on. It made life feel far too ordinary and routine than she would like it to be. The violin was welcomed ambiance but it didn't fill the void caused by the lack of shouting and experiments. Olivia had decided in order to match the dull atmosphere of Baker Street she would do a dull neighborly thing as well. So, Olivia had decided to bake cookies. She had only baked cookies on her own a handful of times but she was fairly confident in her skill in following directions.

After having finished off the cookies to the best of her ability - without starting a fire, she thought that was enough to call it a success -, she carries a plate up to 221B and knocks on the door. The cookies were honestly just an excuse to see Sherlock. She had no idea why she so desperately wanted to see him and talk to him. Bouncing on her heels as she wanted for one of the two to open the door, it occurs to her that she hadn't tried of the cookies. They may be absolutely terrible. When the door opens, she holds out the plate. "I made cookies for the two of you. I wanted to check and see if you were both still alive. Fair warning, I haven't made cookies in at least two years so they might be disgusting. But, that's the fun in it. It's like cookie Russian roulette."

Sherlock never ceased playing of his violin as he hardly noticed John getting up, only hearing the rusting of his news paper as he headed toward the door. John turned the knob, surprised to see Olivia had come, and had in fact brought them cookies. Smiling softly as he moved to let her in. "That's very nice of you Olivia. Sherlock's just been thinking a lot of the late. Which is why it sounded like we were dead minus the music." He said as he took the cookies into the kitchen and began making tea for Olivia.

Sherlock stopped after a few seconds of John speaking, using a pencil to adjust a few notes as he continued once adjusted and swayed ever so slightly with the music. Once the tea had been made, John set out cream and sugar before pouring in the water. Letting the tea bags steep for a minute or two as he looked at Olivia with a warm smile. "How have you been?" He asked her, before digging around for a moment before finding a few biscuits for them to eat as well.

She steps into the flat, stealing a few glances at Sherlock while John was busy with other things. She had never gotten to chance to see him play before, only to hear it. "I've been fine. Bit bored. What's he thinking about?" Two days felt like a long time to her for Sherlock to go without showing off. It certainly must be a big issue to subdue Sherlock into a prolonged silence like this. Olivia takes a seat, her smile widening just a small bit - small enough that the average person wouldn't notice - when Sherlock played his composition.

"Sorry, how rude of me. How are you, John? Surviving well enough without arguing with your spouse?" She teases as leans back in the chair, stealing another glance at Sherlock. She wanted to say something witty or intelligent, something that would make Sherlock smile or laugh or acknowledge her presence. John was her friend. Sherlock was... close enough to a friend. So, why did she feel so differently between the two? They both were just friends, nothing more and nothing less. She should be closer to John anyway. She's known him longer and John realized that she even existed. How did one night of climbing into a window change all that?

John glanced at Sherlock as he crossed his arms and shrugged. "I dunno. Something important. He doesn't usually play for this long." John murmured as he stared at his friend for a long minute. Unable to come up with anything that it potentially would be, perhaps Lestrade had mentioned some case, and Sherlock was thinking it through. He did not know. Whatever it was, if this kept up much longer, John would be rather worried.

John returned his thought process back to Olivia as he raised an eye brow. "Excuse me? Spouse?" He stated baffled for a moment before rolling his eyes at her. "You know, everyone seems to believe that. But I am straight." He said laughing softly before shaking his head at the brunette. "And, I am doing well, thank you for asking." He said nodding to her with a smile.

Sherlock was gritting his teeth as he listened to the mindless chatter. He was in no mood to listen to simply boring conversations and sighed deeply after a moment. It was not heard of for Sherlock to have an even shorter tolerance level when he was thinking. He ripped the violin away as he threw a viscous glare at John before packing away his things and stalking into his room. Putting away his violin before stalking back to the book case and digging for his nicotine patches. "John." Sherlock said in the most malicious voice he could muster.

"I threw them out, they aren't good for you." Sherlock's face grew enraged as he threw his fist into the book case.

"Those aren't yours to throw away. Those were mine. Dammit John." Sherlock hissed in anger as he slammed back into his room, grabbing his wallet as he headed back to the book shelf searching for his gun. Unable to find it as he glanced at John in fury. Slamming out of the flat as the walls rattled and he headed to a drug dealer that was close to the apartment.

"Oh, believe me, John. I'd know if you were." She was going to carry on with the small talk, but she was interrupted by Sherlock's throwing a mild tantrum. The apartment shakes for a brief moment before she decides to speak up. "Are you going after him? I can't imagine he's doing anything good in a mood like that." Without waiting for John's response, Olivia gets to her feet and starts toward the door. Either John was going after him and she'd have to leave that flat or she'd go after Sherlock herself. But, by the time she reaches the door, she had decided John was taking far too long to respond and she would just have to take care of the issue herself.

"Well, I'm going after him. Come if you like, but you'd better hurry. I doubt he'd be too thrilled to see you." Olivia throws open the door and slides down the railing of the stairs. It was faster and far more enjoyable that way. She walks out onto the street, glancing around for Sherlock. The streets were moderately crowded and cars continue to rush past and break her concentration, but the sight of Sherlock was unmistakable. She pushes her way through the stream of people, followed by a trail of shouts of discontent. This was her first time out beside trips for necessities and the ladder incident and she wasn't playing on letting her ticket for a little excitement escape any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherlock had one thing on his mind. One goal. He just wanted a patch. Just one. Why were there so many people in his way trying to keep him from his goal? We need a new plague. He thought to himself as he weaved through all the people on the street. He hadn't even the slightest idea that someone would chase after him. John always left him alone when he was having a bad day, which was probably a good thing. Sherlock could be viscous when he was in a bad mood.

John struggled to comprehend why on earth that woman would want to go after a man who was having withdrawals and willingly went at that. Shaking his head as he stood up and went to shut the door, there was no way he was going after Sherlock, he knew what he was like. It was better to leave him be instead of pestering him with questions.

Sherlock had his wallet in hand as he spotted his usual dealer down the alley way across the street. He stopped, waiting for the walk to tell him he could cross the street as he rubbed the back of his neck. Shaking his hair out of his eyes as he tapped his foot impatiently, his eyes watching the cross walk lights. When it finally turned to a white walking man, he was off the curb with a bounce. Heading to his destined location.

Olivia had nearly lost Sherlock for a moment. People seemed to be getting in her way on purpose and Sherlock's longer stride wasn't helping her case. Finally, he pauses to wait for the light to change, giving her a chance to catch up. She was nearly at his side when the signal changes, informing him that it was safe to walk. Picking up her pace to get ahead of him, she turns around to face him just a few steps ahead as they both make it to the other side of the curb. "Sherlock, where are you going?" She could tell from his demeanor that he wasn't too pleased at being disturbed, but she had hoped he wouldn't be too upset after he realized it was her and not John.

"And, go on. Give me your worst. It won't be anything I haven't heard before."
Sherlock continues to push on so she has to walk backwards so as to not let him pass her. The thought crosses her mind that it was absolutely ridiculous that she had even chased him at all, let alone was trying to be a part of whatever he was doing. The two days that they had conversed seemed absolutely contradictory to each other, leaving her wondering if he was keen on her at all. Maybe that's what she was here for, to figure out Sherlock Holmes - a clearly impossible task. Her blog followers often encouraged her after hearing about thoughts like this. But, then again there were always the few, the ones that told her Sherlock was an absolute poison. Even John said something about it being best to stay away from Sherlock.

But, Olivia couldn't quit now that she's had a taste. Whether it was the way she felt around him or the challenge of figuring him out, Sherlock Holmes was her drug and she was already addicted. "Go ahead and take a few swings if you like, too. I'd like to say I know you wouldn't but I don't so I'll stick with I hope you won't. Either way I can dodge." Olivia eyes his wallet then glances down the street at what Sherlock has kept his gaze on his entire walk. "I rather have you do that than whatever else you were thinking about doing."

Sherlock looked down at the small woman who was trying to restrict him from getting his goal. Rather his need. Either way she was trying to keep him from it. "I'm going to get a patch, Olivia." He stated, the first part harsh, but the second part, her name, was slightly calmer. Sherlock was so confused. Why would she care what he was doing? John didn't even bother to stop him. It was oddly refreshing to have someone follow behind him to stop him from deteriorating his brain. But an addiction was an addiction, and he badly wanted his patch.

He stopped for a moment. He wouldn't be able to keep her from coming with him down the alley, but he also knew it would be very unsafe for her to do so. A groan bubbled up to his lips as he stared down at her.
"Just stay here." He said after a moment, putting his hands on her shoulders and moving around her. Turning to head down the alley way as he approached his dealer. Glancing back at the woman before continuing down to where the grimy man was standing. Exchanging a 5 pound note for a patch as he sighed in relief. It was nice just having one in his hand. Knowing his would be able to satisfy his addiction for at least a little bit.

She decides to stay, watching the exchange intently. Shady people did shady things with little rhyme or reason. Sherlock probably had experience with this particular dealer due to the lack of awkward fumble or chatter that first-timers usually fall into. Then again, Sherlock probably never fell into that uncomfortable dance, seeing as he was the way he was. She crosses her arms over her chest, finding that she was frowning. Why was it again that she cared what Sherlock did to himself? She lifts her gaze to a shop across the street and, more particularly, to the camera mounted on the corner of the building. Maybe where she was standing was she an odd spot, but she could have sworn that its lens was zooming in on her.

She glances back to Sherlock to see if he was headed back over her way and to see if he notices the camera or if she was just being paranoid. Looking back over to the camera, it's focused on the entrance of the shop and her frown deepens. That wasn't something you just imagine, was it? The fact that it wasn't moving now ruled out the possibility that it might just rotate on a semi-circle. She exhales sharply and starts tapping her foot, trying to convince herself she was just being paranoid or it was sleep deprivation or some other logical explanation.

Sherlock trotted back happily to her as his eyes glanced at where she was looking and his eye brows raised slightly before narrowing to a squint. Moving back towards the street, his arm tight around her waist as he held her close, keeping over to keep her face hidden before pushing her back inside the door to their home. Glancing down at her for a moment. "What did you see Olivia?"

He had an inkling as to what it could be...it was unlikely. But he had been noticing strange things occurring on Baker Street. People...just...strange. Shaking his head at himself as he looked back up at her. "I need you to be very specific. Don't leave out any details. Don't think you're wrong, just tell me exactly what you saw without smudging any of the details. Please."

"It was just the shop camera. It was facing toward us, you and I and then it wasn't. I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about." She eyes him suspiciously before holding out her hand. Even if the camera's position was a huge deal that meant she would be targeted as some pawn in the grand scheme of things, there were other important immediate issues to take care of. Mainly, Sherlock's well being. She still thought it was strange just how concerned she was for him. A small bit would be reasonable. He was her neighbor after all and most people don't want their neighbors to do stupid things to themselves. But, her dropping was she was doing to chase after him was an entirely different level.

"You didn't think you were getting away with it that easily, did you? Give me the patch." She motions for him to hand it over, maintaining eye contact. Knowing he was going to return to the whole camera thing, she reminds herself that she has to stand firm. He probably was going to do anything he could to distract her and she was determined not to fall for it.

Sherlock nodded, holding his chin as he began thinking. That camera was typically pointed at the street corners and it never moved. His eyes fell on her face, though they were unfocused as he was thinking very hard for a few minutes, or what was a few seconds. It seemed faster to him when he was trying to think. Plots swirling his mind as he rubbed his temples before focusing back down at her.

His eye brows raised when she put her hand out to take his patch. "Excuse you? You are not taking my patch." He stated certainly as he moved to return to his flat and rubbed the back of neck as he pushed the door. Not bothering to close it as he assumed she would come with him back to his flat. Going to move to sit on the couch as he open the patch. Rolling up his sleeve as he rubbed the back of his neck, sighing happily as he moved to put the patch onto the directed area.

"Sher-! Sherlock!" She follows him up to 221B and snatches the patch out of his hand triumphantly. Figuring he was going to try to get it back, she decides to put it in the last place Sherlock would ever attempt to get it from - down her shirt. She sticks it the the inside of her bra, seeing as nicotine wasn't really her thing, and crosses her arms over her chest. "Ha. Your move."

Smirking lightly, she spins on her heels and starts back toward the stairs. The were only two things that could happen. The first being that Sherlock would give up on the patch for whatever reason that he would refuse to admit to. The second being that he, being so desperate and/or emotionally distanced, would try to retrieve despite its current location. Either way she had won the battle and she just had to wait to see if she would win the war.

Sherlock's eyes narrowed at her when she snatched it from him and he pushed himself to stand. One good thing about Sherlock was that he didn't understand social ques or personal space. "You are not my mother Olivia. You have no say in what I can put on my body." He snapped and followed her out of the flat as he grabbed at her arm, his fingers wrapping around her arm as he tugged her to face him. His hand reaching down her shirt and grasping for the patch.

When his hand connected with the small patch, he tugged it out and smirked happily, raising it above her head--high above her head as he moved to take the packaging off. Just wanting to put it on. He just wanted the calmness that came with it. Calm was good for him. Which was why Olivia was fun to be around as well. She managed to calm him down to an extent.

"Sherlock, I never said I was your mother. I simply care about you. Is that a crime now?" She glances up at the patch, slightly irritated and wholly amused at his method keeping her away from it. "Today it's a nicotine patch. Tomorrow it could be..." She sighs and raises her hand defensively with a small smirk. "Fine, forget it. Do what you like. I'll stop caring and let you run yourself ragged because it's not my business." Slipping into her flat briefly, she grabs her keys and shuts the door behind her. "I have to be going. But, first, if you would be ever so kind as to tell me, what have you deduced about me, Mr. Holmes? Just because I'm curious and you like to show off."

She had been wondering about Sherlock's deductions and conclusions ever since the pig blood incident. His analysis were certainly be something her fans would want to hear, too. Though, she was quite certain they would be upset to hear that him didn't mention anything to fuel their fantasies. She was utterly convinced that Sherlock had no attraction to her whatsoever and, though she would admit she found his appearance appealing, that she didn't have any feelings toward him either.

"Crime? No. But no one else seems to care if I slowly kill myself with this. Not even John. Why would you care?" He asked raising an eye brow at her, he knew the implications of taking his patches, but he really didn't mind. He didn't drink or smoke or do reckless sports. He just had patches. That's how he warranted it, was since he wasn't stupid most of the time, he was allowed to do a little stupid things now and again. Except it led him to an addiction that he hadn't realized he had. John suspected it, but didn't want to say anything until he was positive. Perhaps Olivia had noticed, perhaps not.

Sherlock sighed softly at the deduction comment and glanced over her for a moment. "I do like to show off." He murmured as he wondered if he should tell her everything he knew about her. It was quite a lot, except it was sort of a put off. Sometimes people stopped talking to him because of it. John nearly did. Menial people got offended, and stupid people got angry. He didn't care if they were angry or if the ones he analyzed stopped talking to him. They didn't matter. Olivia isn't those boring, stupid, people, and he didn't want her to stop talking to him. "I think I'll keep you on your toes for a little longer." He said smiling down at her before going back up the stairs. "Have a good day, Olivia. Stop by for tea if you want. Doors open." He stated as he shut the door behind him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back