• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Melody gave a slight smile. She had been right on the money, the woman was cheating by using her unseen servant. She wasn't about to allow magic to be used in such a crude manner. It was time to equal the playing field.

"Come, take form unseen" She whispers, closing her eyes and summoning her own unseen servant, with a simple task- rebalance the scales by having it roll the dice afyer the woman's servant tries to interfere

She also calmly walks over to To Feyris. With her back to him, she whispers. "O would be careful
There is cheating occuring. I'm balancing it, but you may wish to end soon."

The flow of their interaction makes Evendur think the halfling may be bluffing - trying to lure the two of them outside when he noticed them staring, then making threats when they refused looks very much like Saoirse and Evendur simply caught him on the wrong foot. But Evendur can't be sure the halfling isn't serious, and the last thing he wants for his group is a band of angered hired killers on their heels when they are already supposed to deal with an unknown number of murderous cultists.

"We do. We aren't looking for trouble. I don't know what you think we've seen or heard, but there's no need for threats. If hearing it out loud puts you at ease, friend, I can give you my word I didn't see or hear anything," he says. "Are we good?"

Shadow so far hasn't found a clear sign of any cheating, but is also getting a little bored from how slowly they are playing the game. She still feels a little annoyed that she isn't playing the game but hopefully something fun is going to happen soon. She continues watching for cheating since she really has nothing better to do right now.

Friend. Now that's a word Dummy had never heard before. Of course had only been brought to life a few days ago, so it wasn't that weird. He did recognize the word and it felt good, but somehow it did not feel entirely genuine. At least he got him to stop casting his spells. He would be more suspicious of the guys intentions and body language through the rest of the conversation.

"It sure has been!"His voice boomed. "I have had quite a fine week. Just finished the flaming fist training and now I am ready to rid this city of the heresy. What have you been up to?"

Well, that was quick.

Cassel still didn't trust the halfling to hold up his end of the bargain, but then again what was the point of pushing the matter further? They had to take a shot in the dark with this, especially considering their main priority was a group of violent cultists. At Soldier Guy's answer, Cassel nods vigorously. "A-agreed! This tavern is rather noisy, you know. Pretty difficult to hear anything." he adds, "We saw and heard nothing." He emphasized the last word, looking the halfling in the eye and trying to hide his still-trembling hands behind his cloak.

Melody, Feyris, and Shadow, the dark-skinned woman throws her die. It hovers for an extra second, swaying left then right. Then it clatters to the table as normal. She rolled a six.

"Stand!" the woman blurts out too quickly. Tarina gives the woman a frustrated look.

The sharp-face man goes next. He licks his lips and throws his next die. A two. He throws one more. A five. Eighteen. "Stand," he says with a sly smile. The dark-skinned woman grits her teeth.

The elegant woman next to him twirls a lock of auburn hair as she picks up her next die. A two and then a six on her next. With a sixteen, she sits for long moment, deciding. After a long wait, she picks up another die and throws it. Another six. 22, bust. "Argh!" she says. She folds her arms and pouts.

Tarina rolls her eyes and take up another die. A one. She smiles and throws her next. Another one. Confidence radiates from her and she grabs her sixth die. She rolls it. A four. Her face turns to ash. She looks around the table, trying to decide if someone interfered. Not seeing any signs, she stares at her four, deciding how to proceed. Finally, she picks up her seventh die and rolls. A five. "Noooo!" she cries. "Damn it."

Feyris, it's your turn. You have an 18 with the dice that were given to you.

"With three with the same rolls, the game enters sudden death," explains the sharp-faced man. "All three of us roll one more die at the same time. Highest wins the pot. If there's another tie, we do it again. The catch is, you cannot use your own dice. You have to choose a die from someone else's dice at the table. Everyone, choose now." He reaches and takes one of the elegant woman's dice. The dark-skinned woman takes one of Ephen's.

Feyris, who's die do you choose?

• Ephen - 22 - bust!
  • Dark-skinned Woman - 18
  • Sharp-faced Man - 18
  • Elegant Woman - 22 - bust!
  • Tarina - 22 - bust!
  • Feyris - 18

Cassel and Evendur, the halfling stares a long time at you both. You can tell he wants to say and do many things he's not able to right this moment. Finally, he waves you off and grumbles as he walks away through the crowded tavern.

What do you do now?

Dummy, you can see his dispair written on his face, even now when he's clearly so frustrated. Yes, he's casting spells, but there is clearly something or someone he's looking for frantically.

To you question, the man grits his teeth. "This is not a friendly visit where you ask me about nonsense and we chit-chat. You interrupted my business. I don't have time for this. Now, I kindly ask you leave me be and forget you saw anything."

What do you do?

alabast alabast , DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird , Ilikepie Ilikepie , ValkyrieRose ValkyrieRose , Felix Felix , Felis Felis

Well, that was rude, what harm was there in a little chit chat? This man clearly had other priorities. Dummy could not let it go though.

"I simply cannot do that. I have a duty to report suspicious behavior and you definitely qualify." He showed his badge. "So indeed, let's skip the pleasantries. Answer my questions, or I will have to call you in. What is this magical business that I was interrupting?"

Evendur sighs as the halfling walks away. Part of him says he should follow the almost-certainly-murderer after all and try to apprehend him, while another part says it's a waste of time to try and pluck every criminal of Baldur's Gate off the streets one by one, and focusing on his current orders will accomplish more in the long run. Well, the way Saoirse reacted to the halfling, Evendur supposes talking their way out of the situation may have been for the best.

"That's quite a useful skill you have, with your voice," he remarks, turning to Saoirse. "If you hadn't been standing next to me the whole time, I'd never have known it was you. Do you use magic or does that just come with practice? Also, about our new 'friend' - we should keep half an eye out for him, I think. He's certainly not going to forget our faces so easily - or mine, at least." He nods at the hood still obscuring her face.

Halfling's gone. Good. Cassel thinks as he watches the figure disappear amidst the tavern crowd. What heavy breath he'd been unknowingly holding for the past few minutes escapes with one big sigh. Hopefully they wouldn't run in with the halfling or any of his murderous friends in the future--that certainly wasn't going to end well, Cassel could feel it, even if the halfling had promised to leave them alone. Sure, Cassel could just shift into another face--but Soldier Guy beside him couldn't.

"Yeah, we definitely should. I get the feeling he's not going to hold up his end of the bargain." he says, "Still, Baldur's Gate is a big place. We might encounter him in the future, but that's probably gonna be a long time from now."

He hoped his words won't bite back at him.

That said...

"About...my voice. That's actually not the only thing I can change." he answers, rubbing at his neck as he came to a realization--he didn't exactly tell his group that he was a changeling. Taking off his hood, Cassel lets Soldier Guy take one look at his current form before shifting back to Saoirse. "It's not a disguising spell, either. I don't know if you've heard of my kind, but I'm a changeling." It wasn't a big deal, right? Changelings were abound in the world. She just forgot to mention she was one.

Dummy, the man sighs. His shoulders slump in despair. “I’m reading thoughts,” he says frankly. “It’s one of the few spells I’ve learned with the time I’m studied. But, it’s the best chance I have to find my daughter. She never came home one evening and I have no leads. Nothing. I’m worried with everything happening in the city, she was taken. Or worse.”

How do you respond?

Evendur and Saoirse, with the halfling gone, you can see Dummy speaking with a hooded man at the other end of the Tavern. You also know most of your compatriots went upstairs.

What do you do?

Shadow, you’re watching the game and the players like a hawk. Without warning, a voice next to you says, “Are you Flaming Fist?” Standing very close, a rough-looking tiefling woman in leather armor looks around the room, keeping aloof, never looking directly at you.

What do you do?

alabast alabast , DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird , Ilikepie Ilikepie , ValkyrieRose ValkyrieRose , Felix Felix , Felis Felis

"Winning isn't of the most important. We must get her away from these others first." They muttered under their breath to Melody, before turning their attention to the game at hand once more. They watched as as some of the others at the table all landed a bust, one after the other, before the remaining three all idled on eighteen. How peculiar.

Nodding in agreement as one of the players explained a further rule, they shrugged before taking dice from the sharp-faced man.

Evendur's jaw drops when Saoirse changes her face back from the one she has worn when speaking to the halfling. Evendur decides he'll stick to the name and gender from before for now before he confuses himself even more. How is that even- well, apparently it is possible for her to shift like that, even without magic. There's no reason for Saoirse lie only to invent a more unexpected explanation, after all.

"Uh, I'm vaguely familiar with the term, yes," he finally replies, shaking his head. Evendur has heard occasional rumors (if he can even call it that) of people who can shapeshift, sure - but he's never put much stock in them, since half of the time they'd be excuses why someone couldn't find a thief or a debtor - "oh, they must be a changeling, then" - conveniently ignoring they've likely been tricked by more mundane means.

Aloud, Evendur says, "I've never met one, though - I think." He laughs a little awkwardly. "Excuse me for being a little surprised. So, do I just keep calling you Saoirse when you... transform? Or how does it usually go?"

"Why didn't you start with that?! I know how terrible that must feel, being a ..." Dummy started enthusiastically before he caught himself. He truly felt for this man. Being a what now? ... ehm ... "Guard of the flaming fist! We know what it's like investigating missing persons. Maybe you can tell me what she looks like. Our primary mission is to look for cultists and eradicate them, but we can surely keep an eye out for your girl. I would not be worthy as a follower of Ilmater if I did not help you release some of your suffering. Please, let me and my team help. What does she look like?" He was speaking very loudly and full of compassion, this man surely would like his heroic help.

Feyris, the sharp-faced man nods. “Yes. Good. Now, we all roll at the same time. Aaaand roll.”

He and the dark-skinned woman roll together.

Do you roll?

Dummy, the man seems to straighten suddenly.

“Cultists, you said? Which cultists are you looking for? The best I’ve been able to find out, she was taken by followers of the Dead Three. They seem to be filling the gaps left by the city guard and Flaming Fist.

“And yes, if you could keep your eye out for her, I’d appreciate that. She’s a teenage girl, just under my height, auburn hair, freckles all over her face. She cats. Probably was trying to save one or something when they took her.

“If you hear or see something, come fine me. You can find me either here or at my shop. I run the magic shop just north of here near the bathhouse. It’s called Embers and Ashes.”

How do you respond?

Shadow glances at the tiefling woman for a moment before looking back towards the game. Shadow thinks for a moment on how to answer that question unsure if this woman is friend or foe and if she should admit being part of that group that she has only recently joined. "Yes, do you need anything or have something you wish to say to the Flaming Fist?" Shadow hopes she doesn't have to draw a weapon or answers questions about the organization that she has no idea how to answer.

"It's fine, it's partially my fault for not introducing myself as one, to be honest." She waves off his apology with a small laugh of her own. "And you can call me Saoirse, for now. She's my...default identity for professional matters such as this."

Saoirse felt a little weird talking about her personas so casually--usually they were never brought up at all. Maybe it was best to get used to these things, now that life required her to use more than two faces occasionally. Clearing her throat, she darts her eyes around the tavern once more, eyes falling on the ongoing dice game. "You think Ferry's winning?" she remarks, starting to approach the crowd.

Sighing in defeat, they rolled as well, seeing no point in not. They had half a chance of winning anyways, yet then again, all three of them did as well. No odds in anyone's favor, eh? Though of course, there can always be meddling in the games as before.

Looking down at their roll, they let out a long sigh. Five gold wasted. This was why gambling's a complete waste of time in their opinion...

Last edited:
"That is exactly who we are up against. Sorry that my organisation created these cracks where the vermin could come from." Dummy truly meant it. He wanted to be able to proudly represent his organisation that was protecting the people, but he did not feel that at the moment. "I know it doesn't mean much, coming from one person, but I will make sure we fill those cracks again and bring back your daughter. Now, I do have a description of her appearance and where I can reach you, but what are your names? I am Dummy. It's not much of a name, but if you mention it to a flaming fist agent will know where to find me. Also,it might be useful if you can give me some kind of token or information, so I can show your daughter she can trust us if and when we find her. Is there anything personal you can share with me?"

"Alright, will do," Evendur nods. "And don't worry about it. I don't go out of my way to say I'm 'Evendur the human' either, after all." It is a weak comparison, but he hopes to get his point across. Sure, to him, changelings have only been a fairy tale so far, but Evendur can see why Saoirse wouldn't want to bring it up right away. And in any case, it would make for awkward introductions.

"Ferry? Oh, Feyris?" It takes Evendur a moment to realize who the nickname refers to. "I don't know, let's take a look." He follows Saoirse over to the table. Only three players still seem to be in the game, Feyris among them. That doesn't look so bad, Evendur supposes, though he couldn't say who's actually winning. He sighs. Instead of drawing that halfling's attention, he should just have watched the game and learned the rules.

Feyris, with your six, you win. A silence falls on the table. There are glances between the players. Some nervous, some angry. Ephen grits his teeth.

Tarina composes herself and forces a smile. "Well! Perhaps a little beginner's luck? Either way, congratulations." She slides the pot to you. It is now your 30 gold.

Sensing the tension in the other players Tarina keeps her attention on you. "I think we'll end for today, friend. It was great playing with you, though. Come back and play again sometime."

What do you do?

Melody, Evendur, Saoirse, Shadow, you all see this too since your upstairs. What do you do?

Shadow, the woman slips a corked bottle into your palm. "I thought so," she says. She keeps her voice hushed so only you can hear. "Listen. One of yours died saving my life. I owe a debt and want to pay it off. Consider this potion a down payment. I'm choosing you since I like your look. If YOU need anything, look me up. The name's Dancer. You can find me through the thieves' guild. They know who I am."

Before you have time to react properly she starts to stride away toward the stairs.

You could probably catch her if you're quick. You also notice Feyris win the game.

What do you do?

Dummy, the hooded man scoffs. "Yes, sorry. Names. I'm Fir Noran. Like I said, I run the magic shop. My daughter's name..." He swallows back a sob. "My daughter is Zeza. And here." He pulls out a necklace and slips it off his neck. He holds it out to you. It's the scroll religious symbol of Oghma.

"It's like any other symbol of Oghma," Fir says. "But, see this long scratch across it from here to here? She'll know it's mine. I've had it since she was a babe."

Last edited:
"it was a splendidly close game. " Melody said, a small smile on her face. "I can't imagine how tense you all must be after that game. All of you hoping for a miracle to occur as it is." She nods. "Though now that your game is finished , Ms. Tarina, we came here to discuss some things with about. About a very nasty group of cultists."

Tarina stands up and looks between you, Melody and Feyris, trying to size you up. “Excuse me, friends” she says to the table. “I must attend to this.” Turning back to you she adds, “Come. Let’s find a quiet spot.”

Having found Tarina and wrenching her from her game upstairs, finally, everyone gathers together to talk to her. She points out one of the side bed chambers upstairs and tells you to meet her there when you ha gathered all your associates.

On the way to doing so, the spirit for which the tavern is named begins her song. Every so often in the Elfsong Tavern, the elf spirit in the tavern sings her song of sorrow. Yet, this time, it’s different. The song begins and the tavern quiets.

If you know elven, you can translate the lyrics:
O sing a song of Elturel
Of water. wouds, and hill
The sun dawns on her ruddy cliffs
And fields green and still.
This land of long-abiding joy
Home of the strong and brave
Renowned byall. across the realms,
And never once a slave.
O sing a song of Elturel
When foes are at her door
Her fields torn by cloven feet
From some infernal shore.
Arise the mighty Hellriders
Take up your swift, keen swords
Then charge into thehellish fray
And scatter devil hordes.
O sing a song of Elturel
Andwhenthe night does fall
Sleep safe beneath Companion’s light
Until the dawndoes call.
We're bound by mortal covenant
That only ends with death
Andso we'll sing of Efture!
Until our final breath.​

Also, if you can understand the lyrics AND have ever been to Elturel or roll DC 15 Intelligence (History):
The “Companion" referred to in the song is the name given to the artificial sun that bums over El-turel, protecting the city and its surrounding lands against undead.

Melody sits back, humming along with the Elvish tune, it was always splendid to hear her language sooken, it was much more beautiful than common.

As she watches everyone gather and waiting for Tarina to begin talking, she opens a manuscript and begins writing it, inspired by the Elven node, and of deals gone awry with the use of servants. She would use that in a later plot, she decided. Not a mystery though.... Something more fantastical, she decided.

Shadow stares at the potion she was given by this Dancer woman. Shadow decides not to follow her since the game ended despite wanting some more information about this Thieves' Guild and the possibility of maybe joining it if the benefits are good and they let her have fun. The two thieves she saw so far have been female could it be an all female guild? If it is that could be fun for but considers that possibility to unlikely. She gathers with the others.

She listens to the song not really paying too much attention to it despite understanding the words since she knows elvish because she is still staring at the potion. Maybe one of her allies would be able identify what kind of potion it is. For a few seconds she places the potion away safely in her bag to figure out later since the possibly important conversation should be starting soon.

Saoirse leans against a wall as they all wait for Tarina to speak, her one relaxed leg tapping to the elf spirit's song. She could always appreciate a good tune--although the lyrics lost a bit of its original appeal, what with Elturel's downfall and all. The mention of Hellriders didn't help, though Saoirse kept note of it. With everything going on in the city, perhaps the elfsong wasn't for naught. She ponders over the song for a few moments, her fingers soon drumming to the tune, before shaking the distraction off to focus on the current gathering.

(Whelp 11 + 1 is still a 12 so fail haha)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back