News Back to Form

Status
Not open for further replies.
will we still have our Private Workshops?  I've found mine quite useful and i'd hate to loose all the information i have in there. 

Personally I thought the HTML was the best part of the last update, but I do agree that going back to BBCodes will be for the best.  I took a class that taught HTML and that is the only reason I even bother with it.  HTML can be intimidating for people who don't know how to use it while the BBCodes are more digestible.  Regardless, I'm looking forward to this update.  You guys always pull through with making things work, even if it's not immediately clear.

whelp, I'm happy BBCode is coming back. but when?

Shortly after the transfer.  Please review the FAQ linked in the main topic post for more answers regarding common questions.

where is it?

As stated it in linked in the MAIN post of the topic (aka first post).  Or if can be found pinned in the Site Questions & Information forum.

THANK THE LORD FOR BBCODE COMING BACK. I can FINALLY have code without having to post an insanely unrealistic amount of quick posts for it. I don't care what anyone tells me, 500 posts of what I prefer would have been impossible anytime soon.

Quite a few of these questions have been answered already?

There will be no access to CSS or HTML after the switch and it has even been turned off at the present moment. The ability to edit HTML/CSS is not coming back. There will be bbcode instead. 

The new site will probably look a little different. It will still have the styles and it will still have a very similar user interface. 

There will be NO data loss at all. 

I believe (though this one hasn't been answered to my knowledge) that bbcode should be available right away. 

There will be no posting requirement for bbcode. The reason for the posting requirement for HTML was because using HTML had the potential to damage the site if not used properly so they wanted to make sure that the user was actually dedicated to rpn before granting access and did not have malicious intentions. BBcode has no risk of altering the site. It's effects are limited to the post they are used in and that post alone. 

For your last question, I think you are talking about the different kinds of likes. The staff are not intending on adding those in until after the update to xenoforo 2 which will be happening sometime after the move although I don't recall an exact timeframe. It's in the first post, I believe. The staff do not want to add too many add-ons until xf2 and that is one that they will be holding off on. After the update to xf2, they are planning on looking into that add-on (if it is compatible) or finding/making something similar. 

If anyone notices that I'm recalling anything incorrectly, please feel free to correct me. 

hate to say this was unnecessary but someone was kind enough to fill me in @IctoraPost

The synopsis wasn't solely for your benefit. I'm sure others are grateful for it. 

Captain Hesperus

It's excessive at this point

Unofficial FAQ

By an unqualified user

It's also more asked-at-least-once questions than frequent ones.

Or even asked-at-least-none.

Will anything happen to our Hosted Projects?

Mostly no. If you aren’t using the HP as a forum system, for example only having one thread in there, you will be politely asked to put them into the regular RP threads. Long inactive ones will be archived. Also, the header image will probably not exist.

Will there be any major data loss?

No.

Will anything in the Private Workshop be affected?

No.

Will tabs/hype cookies/dice rollers/other old features be back again?

It’s likely an old addon that won’t work in the newer versions. See:

When will the update happen?

Undecided, probably later this month.

How much downtime will there be?

1-3 days.

Will RpN look the same?

No. The Light/Color Me/Night Lyfe themes will probably stay, but the style will be different.

Will links to the site still work?

Most likely.

Will we be able to delete posts?

No, but you can hide them.

Will there be a replacement for blogs?

Not top priority as they are not used that much.

Will reputation/status updates/the bold/underline/italicise buttons/signatures be kept?

Yes.

Will post count be kept?

Yes, mostly. It may decrease a bit.

Will followers be kept?

Iffy. Note down who you’re following just in case.

Will line breaks be kept?

Unsure.

Will notifications be fixed?

Probably.

Will there be an announcement later with more info?

There will be an announcement before and after the update.

Will cover photos be kept?

No. Maybe.

Will there be UI changes?

Mostly not.

Will the site be faster?

Yes.

Will you still be able to imbed stuff?

Using BBCode, probably. If not, then it can be added.

Will gif avatars still be a thing?

No.

When will Hosted Projects be able to be created again?

Sometime shortly after the update.

Will post macros come back?

Maybe.

Is there an official FAQ?

Yes!

that was only 2 pages ago, and quoted again earlier by the same user to me, and again before that. But yes thank you for taking the time to fill me and others in again

Regardless, it was done so late-coming users would not have to trawl back and find that specific post.

It is not for you to determine what is excessive or unnecessary in this thread.

Captain Hesperus

Unfortunately for me, I am not very familiar with bb code, I am more familiar with HTML. Then again, I don't think I was here before the update you're referring to so I'm willing to give it a try.

Unfortunately for me, I am not very familiar with bb code, I am more familiar with HTML. Then again, I don't think I was here before the update you're referring to so I'm willing to give it a try.

Think of BBCode as a very simplified version of HTML, with more restrictions on what you can/cannot do.

Anything I can do as a normal user to assist the staff team with the transition?

Regardless, it was done so late-coming users would not have to trawl back and find that specific post.

It is not for you to determine what is excessive or unnecessary in this thread.

Captain Hesperus

Ah so I can't express my own viewpoint in this thread either, good to know.

Ah so I can't express my own viewpoint in this thread either, good to know.

It's a very subjective viewpoint for starters.  But I have to agree if you're confrontational over someone disagreeing with you about something being necessary or not.

But this thread is about questions for the upcoming switch, not being attitude-y and confrontational with the staff. Please let this subject die here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back